NATION

PASSWORD

The Great Adventure (Closed--attn Eridani Imperium)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New Dornalia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"Well, we don't really need guards in the chamber, since it's safe to assume everybody in there is heavily armed." Agnar chuckled. "Such was confirmed during the Arms Trade Incident: imagine it, a chamber filled with politicians brandishing various instruments of war, silently considering how hypocritical it was to be debating the arms trade. They concluded that everything was fine for trade, but rocket launchers of any kind was summarily banned from the chamber. Of course, Jarl Cirdan Goldeneye complained, since he was the one person who had brought a rocket launcher."

The DOrnalians let out a hearty laugh about that last part. It was the kind of laugh that one let out when they knew they had been one upped--and there was no reply one could muster in reply which would be sufficient. The last line really sold the moment, as the image of a man bringing a rocket launcher to a debate was jet black comedy of the finest kind. For a few good moments, the Dornalians laughed and tried to avoid making a scene.

Eventually, they calmed down a bit, and Alejandra declared, "Apologies. That's...okay, now that's quite a story." She then added, as if it wasn't obvious already, "I've no reply for that." Pausing, she then added, "Well, maybe if the Sierra India Devices were turned off..."
"New Dornalia, a living example of anomalous civilizations."-- Phoenix Conclave
"Your nation has always been ridiculous. But it's endearing."--Skaugra
"It's a magical place where chinese cowboys ply the star lanes to extract vast wealth from trade, where NORINCO isn't just an arms company, but an evil bond villain type conglomerate that hides in other nations. Where the apocalypse happened, and everyone went "huh, that's neat" and then got back to having catgirls and starships."-- Olimpiada
"...why am I space China, and I don't have actual magic animals, and you're space USA, and you do? This seems like a mistake." --Roania, during a discussion on wildlife.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:20 pm

"Of course, the only reason why we have all of those weapons is simple: the cities can't trust each other."

Agnar stretched.

"The Imperium's only been in existence for 2,200 years. Before that, we were city states for about 10,000 years."
NSWB Discord | Factbook | We Go Different, And In Thunder
DEFCON: ORANGE - FLEETS MOBILIZED, REINFORCEMENTS OUTBOUND
"If Menelmacar is the successful corporate executive parents with a nice house, your people are the black sheep daughter that parties with the wrong crowd and has a batshit crazy boyfriend." - The Eternal Ascendancy of Menelmacar

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"Of course, the only reason why we have all of those weapons is simple: the cities can't trust each other."

Agnar stretched.

"The Imperium's only been in existence for 2,200 years. Before that, we were city states for about 10,000 years."

"A young monarchy, comparatively then." Alejandra observed simply, knowing what she knew as she was taught in school and university about Pre-Apocalypse history, "I'm betting there were and are still some tensions between the cities, as a result. I mean, old rivalries die hard, I'd think. They just kinda mutate into new, more benign forms. At least on Earth they do." Pausing, Alejandra added, "Then again, the Republic's only been unified for a few hundred years at this point....before the Apocalypse, there were many small nationstates and polities on Earth, including two which decided to go to war with atomic weapons. It didn't end well."
"It's a magical place where chinese cowboys ply the star lanes to extract vast wealth from trade, where NORINCO isn't just an arms company, but an evil bond villain type conglomerate that hides in other nations. Where the apocalypse happened, and everyone went "huh, that's neat" and then got back to having catgirls and starships."-- Olimpiada
"...why am I space China, and I don't have actual magic animals, and you're space USA, and you do? This seems like a mistake." --Roania, during a discussion on wildlife.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 pm

"Atomic weapons, hmm? Well, let's just say the rest of the cities got the memo about the results after a couple of cities decided to start a nuclear exchange back during the Third Age of Bronzehelm. After that little spat, we suddenly got more cautious about using nuclear weapons."
"If Menelmacar is the successful corporate executive parents with a nice house, your people are the black sheep daughter that parties with the wrong crowd and has a batshit crazy boyfriend." - The Eternal Ascendancy of Menelmacar

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:48 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"Atomic weapons, hmm? Well, let's just say the rest of the cities got the memo about the results after a couple of cities decided to start a nuclear exchange back during the Third Age of Bronzehelm. After that little spat, we suddenly got more cautious about using nuclear weapons."

"Sadly, the factions that did the Apocalypse didn't learn from that little shitshow," Connie said with a sigh.

"Indeed. Not that there was much to learn afterwards. The world got nuked, and out of the ashes came Dornieland. Well, one version of it as a dictatorial monarchy. Then came the dictatorial state which said it represented the Workers and Peasants but really didn't. Took two Gata Wars--one in the north, one in the south--to finally cause the people to overthrow it and replace it with Comrade Premier MacIntyre, who later became President MacIntyre," Alejandra said with a nod. "Mind, I can't say too much about the Gata Wars. One of my ancestors fought in them on the losing side--that Garza person I mentioned earlier--with the very rifle I brought with me."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 pm

"Only two?" Agnar laughed. "Well, in that, you actually did better than us!"

"It took 4 Emperors three separate wars, two unsuccessful revolutions, and countless assassination attempts for them to unite the Kadrians under one banner. Said wars were called the Wars of the Banner."

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:18 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"Only two?" Agnar laughed. "Well, in that, you actually did better than us!"

"It took 4 Emperors three separate wars, two unsuccessful revolutions, and countless assassination attempts for them to unite the Kadrians under one banner. Said wars were called the Wars of the Banner."

Alejandra smirked at the last part.

"Trust me, Agnar. Two Gata Wars were more than enough."

Milena nodded and intejected, "The Great Northern Gata War involved a lot of good people dying in futile attacks against fortified positions, so on, often for little gains. The expense of obtaining the otherwise marginal victory was, shall we say, quite high. Perhaps even too high on its own for the Workers State of the time to bear."

"As for the Great Southern Gata War, well, that was a border war turned into violent desert warfare. Basically, imagine armies of fast moving men and women on trucks and other such things running around the desert, along with artillery in a bitter campaign fought across a hostile desert. A lot of people got killed there too, and the general in charge of it pushed to the side of the rebellion because he was the victim of politics. On the other hand, MacIntyre was a veteran of that war, and experienced new things within it which later lead to him joining the resistance. Including meeting a group of people who dared to ask him the right questions.

As I said before, my ancestor rode a truck during that time and was a Silverado--an elite warrior/dragoon type person." Imitating a soldier on a pickup and also taking the opportunity to act out her ancestor's exploits in exaggerated fashion, Alejandra continued, saying, "She lead many raids into enemy territory and ambushed many convoys. Old family legend said she and two other technicals rushed an entire supply column, and she leapt from truck to truck using grenades and her rifle to disable several of them before she got hurt herself.

Alas, the Dornalians' might proved too much at the time, and she found herself marooned behind enemy lines, sold out in a great peace between the warring parties which lead half of the Junta she fought for stuck in Dornalian territory, and left the other half fleeing for Nevada and other regions. She later started a restaurant, but it was never the same for her." The last part was said with a sigh.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Agnar listened, sympathetically. "The one thing you have to keep in mind with the Wars of the Banner is this: There wasn't just one Empire trying to take over the city-states. In fact, the best way to describe the Wars of the Banner is a bunch of city-states all trying to gain dominion over the others. The biggest contenders were Bronzehelm, Ebonheart, Ironspire, and Stengarde. By the end, only Bronzehelm and Ebonheart were standing. Ironspire had fallen at the end of the Second War of the Banner, while Stengarde had simply... given up. The attrition rates were incredible. Instead of fighting Bronzehelm to a deadly stalemate, the Jarl of Ebonheart signed a treaty with the Jarl of Bronzehelm that ended the war. I will say it was one of our finer moments."

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:34 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:Agnar listened, sympathetically. "The one thing you have to keep in mind with the Wars of the Banner is this: There wasn't just one Empire trying to take over the city-states. In fact, the best way to describe the Wars of the Banner is a bunch of city-states all trying to gain dominion over the others. The biggest contenders were Bronzehelm, Ebonheart, Ironspire, and Stengarde. By the end, only Bronzehelm and Ebonheart were standing. Ironspire had fallen at the end of the Second War of the Banner, while Stengarde had simply... given up. The attrition rates were incredible. Instead of fighting Bronzehelm to a deadly stalemate, the Jarl of Ebonheart signed a treaty with the Jarl of Bronzehelm that ended the war. I will say it was one of our finer moments."

Alejandra seemed to nod at that. Her face seemed to process the enormity of the chaos Agnar depicted with a stoic look and a nod every so often. Alejandra tried to find a way to comprehend everything which Agnar had told her, to make it comprehensible to her. After all, what Agnar had just described was what Thomas Hobbes--as far as Alejandra could remember--was a state of "war with all against all." Ancient history as it was, she was keenly in touch with the past and the Dornalian wondered how the Emperors had in fact overcome the illogical, inevitable result of realpolitik run amok. Alejandra didn't say too much as Agnar spoke. Once Agnar finished, Alejandra felt compelled to declare, "Well, it's good some factions decided to make peace in the end. I do wonder though--it was from that deal that the Kadrian people were untied as one?"

The others seemed to also acknowledge the history lesson, although they were busy looking about, wondering where to go from here. Somewhat bored, Ivana looked at the High Citadel and asked, curiously, "Do they allow visitors?" It was clear that she wanted to do more exploring, and to perhaps see the fruits of the Wars of the Banner for herself.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 pm

"Yes, that treaty did unify us under one banner." Agnar answered her first question. "As for the High Citadel, it's open to visitors. The guards will probably check you over, but there shouldn't be a problem getting in."

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:12 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"Yes, that treaty did unify us under one banner." Agnar answered her first question. "As for the High Citadel, it's open to visitors. The guards will probably check you over, but there shouldn't be a problem getting in."

Alejandra looked to Agnar and then to the rest of the team. Their looks were ones of deep thought and contemplation. The prevailing mood seemed to want to try a visit to the High Citadel. The group nodded, and echanged a series of silent glances and shrugs for a few moments before Alejandra turned and declared, "Got time to visit the Citadel, then?"

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 am

"Very well." Agnar smiled and got up to lead them to the High Citadel.

As they approached, the Dornies noticed two flags flying at the top of the Citadel: The Blue-White Imperium flag, and a black flag emblazoned with a bronze-colored antlered helmet. The second one was the City flag, as it would seem.

After a short trip through security (which as Agnar promised, was not a hassle) the now stood in the antechamber. The biggest doors were open, and lead to the High Citadel's throne room, while other doors lead to the viewing area for the Gildisbrædr and the in-house museum.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 am

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"Very well." Agnar smiled and got up to lead them to the High Citadel.

As they approached, the Dornies noticed two flags flying at the top of the Citadel: The Blue-White Imperium flag, and a black flag emblazoned with a bronze-colored antlered helmet. The second one was the City flag, as it would seem.

After a short trip through security (which as Agnar promised, was not a hassle) the now stood in the antechamber. The biggest doors were open, and lead to the High Citadel's throne room, while other doors lead to the viewing area for the Gildisbrædr and the in-house museum.

The Dornies nodded, and soon found themselves inside the High Citadel after a brief, uneventful search. As to be expected of tourists, the Dornies wandered about and took pictures of the interior. The Dornies would first head to the Throne Room. Even without knowing if there was state business going on, they took the time to look around, maybe take a few pictures and even take in the splendor of it all. The Dornmen then visited the viewing area for the Gildisbraedr. The prospect of watching potential parliament fights was interesting at least, assuming anything was going on.

Then, they would finally visit the in-house museum--which no doubt would be the most interesting part.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:09 pm

While exploring the throne room, the Dornies got a glimpse of the Empress herself, headed to the Debate hall to break up a fight that had gotten a little out of hand, along with the two ravens perpetually perched on her throne. There were also some impressive shields mounted on the wall in the Throne room, one from each of the Ten Holds of Kadria.

After the throne room, the Dornies were fast enough to get to the viewing deck to see the tail end of that day's fight: a debate over a territory dispute had erupted into a full-on brawl, which had Jarl Vidar Shadowslayer of Ebonheart wielding his distinctive two-handed sword while calling for the Empress to separate the brawlers. As Agnar explained, the fight was most likely started by the Jarls of Elysia and Stengarde, who, despite being based on different planets, had a long running territory dispute on Keldavidr.

The in-house museum was incredible, hosting a variety of artifacts from across the Nebula. It provided a detailed chronicle of both Alvaldri and Jotun history, but its most extensive collection was that of Kadrian artifacts, charting the history of the race from the rise of the first city-states to the absolute destruction wrought by the Wars of The Banner. One notable room compared the lives of citizens in the four city-states in the Wars of the Banner: the Dornies could spy parallels between Ebonheart and ancient Athens of Greece, and the same for Bronzehelm and ancient Sparta. Ironspire was comparable to the Trojans of Iliad fame, while Stengarde wasn't really comparable to anything.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:04 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:While exploring the throne room, the Dornies got a glimpse of the Empress herself, headed to the Debate hall to break up a fight that had gotten a little out of hand, along with the two ravens perpetually perched on her throne. There were also some impressive shields mounted on the wall in the Throne room, one from each of the Ten Holds of Kadria.

After the throne room, the Dornies were fast enough to get to the viewing deck to see the tail end of that day's fight: a debate over a territory dispute had erupted into a full-on brawl, which had Jarl Vidar Shadowslayer of Ebonheart wielding his distinctive two-handed sword while calling for the Empress to separate the brawlers. As Agnar explained, the fight was most likely started by the Jarls of Elysia and Stengarde, who, despite being based on different planets, had a long running territory dispute on Keldavidr.

The in-house museum was incredible, hosting a variety of artifacts from across the Nebula. It provided a detailed chronicle of both Alvaldri and Jotun history, but its most extensive collection was that of Kadrian artifacts, charting the history of the race from the rise of the first city-states to the absolute destruction wrought by the Wars of The Banner. One notable room compared the lives of citizens in the four city-states in the Wars of the Banner: the Dornies could spy parallels between Ebonheart and ancient Athens of Greece, and the same for Bronzehelm and ancient Sparta. Ironspire was comparable to the Trojans of Iliad fame, while Stengarde wasn't really comparable to anything.

Alejandra noted the presence of the Empress. She was certainly quite the figure. Alejandra noted how she seemed...well, not quite like the stereotypical royal. No ermine capes, no somewhat pampered finery. No, in the brief, fleeting moments that they saw the Empress, she was running to put out another fire. The Empress's two ravens were noted, as were the shields. Alejandra smiled. Yes, this was an Empress fitting a civilization with strong similarities to the Vikings she had read about in college. A hands-on Empress which could handle political gamesmanship and deliver a hands-on approach as needed.

What of the Debate Hall? Well, the Dornalians witnessed a quite a fight. Ivana and Milena filmed the tail end of it. Connie noted out loud, "Agnar wasn't kidding, eh? It looks like they're really kicking each other's asses." The two-handed sword came out, and indeed a real fight was going on. Alejandra noted this for her memories, and while it was certainly entertaining....she was glad they were seeing it from a safe position. That, and maybe it was good the Dornalians just kept it to fisticuffs.

As for the Museum, Alejandra and the others noted the parallels. The parallels of Bronzehelm to Sparta made even more sense, considering what they had just seen. Then again, it seemed old habits died hard. It also made it evident that the Empire was a nation with a long history. Even isolation by a nebula didn't slow these folks down.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Agnar nodded at the reaction the Dornies had to the fight. "Oh, sometimes kicking somebody's ass is the only way to get things done here."

When the Dornies appeared to be done looking around, Agnar piped up.

"I think that's all there is to see in Bronzehelm, unless there's something else?'

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm

"Well, I think we're good," Alejandra said. "I mean, our ship out of here's coming in a few hours."

COnnie nodded, saying, "A shame, really--but hey. It happens."

As the others nodded as well, Alejandra came up with an idea.

"So, now that you've shown us around your world....how's your schedule looking like for the foreseeable future? Because I'm thinking you could join us on the flight back to Earth. LA is a bit different than Bronzehelm--well, okay, a lot different--but I think it'll be an interesting experience especially once you get out of town. Plus, it would give us a chance to work on that book we had discussed earlier."

The gata then finished with a simple, "Interested?"

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Agnar seemed to think about the idea for a while. A long while.

He looked at each of the Dornies in turn, unseen thoughts racing around his mind.

At last, Agnar locked eyes with Alejandra, and smiled.

"Well, now, there's an idea." He began...

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:51 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:Agnar seemed to think about the idea for a while. A long while.

He looked at each of the Dornies in turn, unseen thoughts racing around his mind.

At last, Agnar locked eyes with Alejandra, and smiled.

"Well, now, there's an idea." He began...

Alejandra herself returned the smile. Her expression was playful, albeit mixed with a tone of sincerity in her voice which was hoping Agnar's phrase was actually a good thing, "Well, it's a good idea. I like this idea."

Awkwardly, Connie couldn't help but let out a chuckle at the whole thing. Was it undignified to giggle, especially as dominee Hurtubise had taught her as a young lady? Well, yeah. But, the moment seemed to warrant a playful, encouraging laugh. The kind of laugh that would occur when someone was laughing with the subjects, not at the subjects. She then added, hastily working to compose herself, "Well, yes. It is a good idea."

The Sekulovich Sisters looked at each other, and shrugged. Evidently, the force of events compelled them not to say much more than, "No arguments here. It's a good idea."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 am

"It is a very good idea." Agnar smiled, broadly.

At that moment, Alejandra knew what his answer was:

Yes. Yes, a thousand times yes.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates