NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] One's Company, Two's a Crowd, Four's an Uprising

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

[ACCEPTED] One's Company, Two's a Crowd, Four's an Uprising

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57 am

Submitted text ↴
[title] One's Company, Two's a Crowd, Four Is an Uprising
[description] Slave owners across @@NAME@@ are reporting increased antagonistic behavior from their slaves. Causing the masters further distress was the fact that the enslaved outnumber everyone else 4 to 1 in many parts of the country. Fearing a rebellion, you have met with @@NAME@@'s most prominent slavers in the extravagant cocktail lounge of the @@CAPITAL@@ Auction House to discuss a solution.
[validity] only valid for nations in which slavery is legal

[option] "These are dark days, @@LEADER@@; we must compromise," concedes a wealthy slaver as he struggles to balance an olive on the straw of his martini glass. "We have far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have to scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. I propose that we hold the largest slave auction ever in this very building and invite the great slavers of the world. We'll no longer be threatened, and we'll have more money to boot!"
[effect] free @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ discover that the screwdriver isn't just a drink

[option] "Addressing the slaves' aggression is easier," opines @@RANDOMNAME@@, a young basket weaving magnate, taking a sip from @@HIS@@ drink. "If you all treated your slaves with kindness like I do, they wouldn't be so angry and eager to rebel. I think slaves should get fifteen-minute breaks each day. Occasional pay too, one @@CURRENCY@@ biannually! We can even allow them to keep some of the things they produce; a free basket is surely fair compensation for a lifetime of servitude."
[effect] slaves who produce arms are given free guns

[option] "For a master, you sure do have that slave morality," growls @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous for being the cruelest slave owner in @@NAME@@. "We need slaves, but we must not make ourselves vulnerable. Slaves should wear identification badges, and their behavior should be regulated and closely monitored. Punishment for disobedience must be severe and carried out in public. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ must be allowed to carry concealed weapons as well, so we can protect ourselves against any uprising."
[effect] all slaves are followed into bathrooms by overseers to make sure they aren't conspiring rebellion

[option] "There is only one way to prevent a slave rebellion," declares @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the widow of a late slaver holder. She stands up and pours herself a drink from the bar. "Free all the slaves and ban slavery. I freed all my husband's slaves last week and no harm has befallen me. People are more productive if they aren't constantly in fear. Wages are better encouragement than any slave driver. And unbeknownst to many here, slaves are human beings and fellow @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@."
[effect] ex-slaveowners hope that there are no hard feelings between them and their former property

This issue was inspired by antebellum Charleston, South Carolina and their former status as the only major US city with a majority-enslaved population.

[title] @@NAME@@ Unchained
[description] Slave owners across @@NAME@@ are reporting increased antagonistic behavior from their mostly foreign-born slaves. Causing the masters further distress was the fact that slaves outnumber @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ in many portions of the country, due to subsidization by the government. This problem is especially apparent in @@CAPITAL@@, where slaves outnumber the rest of the population 4 to 1. You have met with @@NAME@@'s most prominent slavers in the extravagant cocktail lounge of the @@CAPITAL@@ Auction House to discuss a solution.

[validity] only for nations that subsidize slavery and the importing of slaves through 254.3

[option] "It pains me to say this, but we must compromise here," declares a wealthy slaver as he struggles to balance an olive on the straw of his martini glass. "Our current method of operation is simply unsustainable. We've imported far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. Let's go back to enslaving the common people of this great nation; let's bring back the jobs! Deport the foreign slaves and make @@NAME@@ great again!"
[effect] @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ slaves are proud about @@NAME@@'s self-reliance but dismayed about their working conditions

[option] "That would horrible for my business!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, a young basket weaving magnate, shattering @@HIS@@ glass. @@HE@@ continues, unperturbed, "Addressing the slaves' aggression is easier and would do less damage to the economy. If you all would treat your slaves with respect and kindness like I do, they wouldn't be so angry and eager to rebel. Slave owners should be required to meet with their slaves every day to address their concerns. We should honor their traditions and learn more about their cultures. Institute mandatory language classes for slavers so they can understand their slaves. They're peaceful folk if you treat them right; they won't hurt us. Ow! The shards!"
[effect] slave owners' attempts to connect with their slaves have been met with laughter

[option] "The slave is dangerous and untrustworthy," growls @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous for being the cruelest slave owner in @@NAME@@. @@HE@@ gestures with his whip towards the servers and bartenders. "Look! They're all around us. We cannot let ourselves be vulnerable to them. We can maintain and even increase their current numbers and productivity, but we must reorder our society with our security in mind. Slave behavior should be regulated and closely monitored; they should wear identification badges. Punishment for disobedience must be severe and carried out in public. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ must be allowed to carry concealed weapons as well, so we can protect ourselves against any slave." @@HE@@ cracks his whip and holds up his glass. "More!"
[effect] @@NAME@@ must continually guard itself against a problem that it encourages the growth of

[option] "You know, you could just do it yourself," remarks @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the foreign widow of a slaver. She stands up and pours herself a drink from the bar, rebuffing the bartender's attempt to serve her. "I freed all my husband's slaves last week. I don't have to argue this with you. If you don't understand that slavery is wrong right now, then you won't understand even if I explain it." She downs her drink and glares at you.
[effect] newly-freed slaves struggle to find their place in their new country
[title] @@NAME@@ Unchained
[description] Slave owners across @@NAME@@ are reporting increased antagonistic behavior from their foreign-born slaves. Causing the masters further distress was the fact that slaves outnumber @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ in many portions of the country. This problem is especially apparent in @@CAPITAL@@, where slaves outnumber the rest of the population 4 to 1. You have met with @@NAME@@'s most prominent slavers in the extravagant cocktail lounge of the @@CAPITAL@@ Auction House to discuss a solution.

[validity] only valid for nations that have legalized the enslavement of foreigners with 254.3 or 190.1

[option] "It pains me to say this, but we must compromise here," declares a wealthy slaver as he struggles to balance an olive on the straw of his martini glass. "Our current method of operation is simply unsustainable. We've have far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have to scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. Let's go back to enslaving the common people of this great nation; let's bring back the jobs! Sell the foreign slaves to other nations and make @@NAME@@ great again!"
[effect] @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ slaves are proud about @@NAME@@'s self-reliance but dismayed about their working conditions

[option] "That would horrible for my business!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, a young basket weaving magnate, shattering @@HIS@@ glass. @@HE@@ continues, unperturbed, "Addressing the slaves' aggression is easier and would do less damage to the economy. If you all would treat your slaves with respect and kindness like I do, they wouldn't be so angry and eager to rebel. Slave owners should be required to meet with their slaves every day to address their concerns. We should honor their traditions and learn more about their cultures. Institute mandatory language classes for slavers so they can understand their slaves. They're peaceful folk if you treat them right; they won't hurt us. Ow! The shards!"
[effect] slave owners' attempts to connect with their slaves have been met with laughter

[option] "The slave is dangerous and untrustworthy," growls @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous for being the cruelest slave owner in @@NAME@@. @@HE@@ gestures with @@HIS@@ whip towards the servers and bartenders. "Look! They're all around us. We cannot let ourselves be vulnerable to them. We can maintain and even increase their current numbers and productivity, but we must reorder our society with our security in mind. Slave behavior should be regulated and closely monitored; they should wear identification badges. Punishment for disobedience must be severe and carried out in public. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ must be allowed to carry concealed weapons as well, so we can protect ourselves against any slave." @@HE@@ cracks @@HIS@@ whip and holds up his glass. "More!"
[effect] @@NAME@@ must continually guard itself against a problem that it encourages the growth of

[option] "You know, you could just do it yourself," remarks @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the foreign widow of a slaver. She stands up and pours herself a drink from the bar, rebuffing the bartender's attempt to serve her. "I freed all my husband's slaves last week. The practice should be banned. I don't have to argue this with you. If you don't understand that slavery is wrong right now, then you won't understand even if I explain it." She downs her drink and glares at you.
[effect] newly-freed slaves struggle to find their place in their new country
[description] Slave owners across @@NAME@@ are reporting increased antagonistic behavior from their slaves. Causing the masters further distress was the fact that slaves outnumber @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ in many portions of the country. This problem is especially apparent in @@CAPITAL@@, where slaves outnumber the rest of the population 4 to 1. Fearing a rebellion, you have met with @@NAME@@'s most prominent slavers in the extravagant cocktail lounge of the @@CAPITAL@@ Auction House to discuss a solution.

[option] "It pains me to say this, but we must compromise here," declares a wealthy slaver as he struggles to balance an olive on the straw of his martini glass. "Our current method of operation is simply unsustainable. We have far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have to scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. I propose that we hold the largest slave auction ever in this very building and invite the great slavers of the world. We'll have less slaves and more money, @@LEADER@@."
[effect] @@NAME@@ exports its slaves by the shipload

[option] "That would horrible for my business!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, a young basket weaving magnate, shattering @@HIS@@ glass. @@HE@@ continues, unperturbed, "Addressing the slaves' aggression is easier. If you all would treat your slaves with respect and kindness like I do, they wouldn't be so angry and eager to rebel. I think slaves should get fifteen-minute breaks each day. Occasional pay too, one @@CURRENCY@@ biannually! We can even allow them to keep some of the things they produce; a free basket is surely fair compensation for a lifetime of servitude. They're peaceful folk if you treat them right; they won't hurt us."
[effect] @@NAME@@ finds out that a basket isn't fair compensation for a lifetime of servitude

[option] "The slave is dangerous and untrustworthy," growls @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous for being the cruelest slave owner in @@NAME@@. @@HE@@ gestures with @@HIS@@ whip towards the servers and bartenders. "Look! They're all around us. We cannot let ourselves be vulnerable to them. Slaves should wear identification badges and their behavior should be regulated and closely monitored. Punishment for disobedience must be severe and carried out in public. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ must be allowed to carry concealed weapons as well, so we can protect ourselves against any slave. Give them no quarter!" @@HE@@ cracks @@HIS@@ whip and holds up @@HIS@@ glass. "More!"
[effect] slaves fear disobedience despite outnumbering everyone else 10 to 1

[option] "You know, you could just do it yourself," remarks @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a widow and former slave who married the man that previously owned her. She stands up and pours herself a drink from the bar, rebuffing the bartender's attempt to serve her. "I freed all my husband's slaves last week. The practice should be banned. I don't have to argue this with you. If you don't understand that slavery is wrong right now, then you won't understand even if I explain it." She downs her drink and glares at you.
[effect] slaves rejoice at their newfound freedom but are dismayed at the job market
[description] Slave owners across @@NAME@@ are reporting increased antagonistic behavior from their slaves. Causing the masters further distress was the fact that slaves outnumber @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ 4 to 1 in many portions of the country. Fearing a rebellion, you have met with @@NAME@@'s most prominent slavers in the extravagant cocktail lounge of the @@CAPITAL@@ Auction House to discuss a solution.

[option] "It pains me to say this, but we must compromise here," declares a wealthy slaver as he struggles to balance an olive on the straw of his martini glass. "Our current method of operation is simply unsustainable. We have far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have to scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. I propose that we hold the largest slave auction ever in this very building and invite the great slavers of the world. We'll have less slaves and more money, @@LEADER@@."
[effect] @@NAME@@ exports its slaves by the shipload

[option] "That would horrible for my business!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, a young basket weaving magnate, shattering @@HIS@@ glass. @@HE@@ continues, unperturbed, "Addressing the slaves' aggression is easier. If you all would treat your slaves with respect and kindness like I do, they wouldn't be so angry and eager to rebel. I think slaves should get fifteen-minute breaks each day. Occasional pay too, one @@CURRENCY@@ biannually! We can even allow them to keep some of the things they produce; a free basket is surely fair compensation for a lifetime of servitude. They're peaceful folk if you treat them right; they won't hurt us."
[effect] @@NAME@@ finds out that a basket isn't fair compensation for a lifetime of servitude

[option] "The slave is dangerous and untrustworthy," growls @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous for being the cruelest slave owner in @@NAME@@. @@HE@@ gestures with @@HIS@@ whip towards the servers and bartenders. "Look! They're all around us. We cannot let ourselves be vulnerable to them. Slaves should wear identification badges and their behavior should be regulated and closely monitored. Punishment for disobedience must be severe and carried out in public. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ must be allowed to carry concealed weapons as well, so we can protect ourselves against any slave. Give them no quarter!" @@HE@@ cracks @@HIS@@ whip and holds up @@HIS@@ glass. "More!"
[effect] slaves fear disobedience despite outnumbering everyone else 10 to 1

[option] "You could just do it yourself," remarks @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a widow and former slave who married the man that previously owned her. She stands up and pours herself a drink from the bar, rebuffing the bartender's attempt to serve her. "There is only one way to prevent a slave rebellion. Free all the slaves and ban slavery. I freed all my husband's slaves last week and no harm has befallen me. That may be due to my kind treatment of them, but that's beside the point. People are more productive if they don't have to worry about being abused. Wages are better encouragement than any slave driver. And unbeknownst to many here, slaves are human beings and fellow @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@."
[effect] slaves rejoice at their newfound freedom but are dismayed at the job market
[description] Slave owners across @@NAME@@ are reporting increased antagonistic behavior from their slaves. Causing the masters further distress was the fact that the enslaved outnumber everyone else 4 to 1 in many parts of the country. Fearing a rebellion, you have met with @@NAME@@'s most prominent slavers in the extravagant cocktail lounge of the @@CAPITAL@@ Auction House to discuss a solution.

[option] "These are dark days, @@LEADER@@; we must compromise," concedes a wealthy slaver as he struggles to balance an olive on the straw of his martini glass. "We have far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have to scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. I propose that we hold the largest slave auction ever in this very building and invite the great slavers of the world. We'll no longer be threatened, and we'll have more money to boot!"
[effect] @@NAME@@ has auctioned off most of its workforce

[option] "Addressing the slaves' aggression is easier," opines @@RANDOMNAME@@, a young basket weaving magnate, taking a sip from @@HIS@@ drink. "If you all treated your slaves with kindness like I do, they wouldn't be so angry and eager to rebel. I think slaves should get fifteen-minute breaks each day. Occasional pay too, one @@CURRENCY@@ biannually! We can even allow them to keep some of the things they produce; a free basket is surely fair compensation for a lifetime of servitude."

[option] "For a master, you sure do have that slave morality," growls @@RANDOMNAME@@, infamous for being the cruelest slave owner in @@NAME@@. "We need slaves, but we must not make ourselves vulnerable. Slaves should wear identification badges, and their behavior should be regulated and closely monitored. Punishment for disobedience must be severe and carried out in public. @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ must be allowed to carry concealed weapons as well, so we can protect ourselves against any uprising."
[effect] slaves are monitored in bathrooms to make sure they aren't conspiring rebellion

[option] "There is only one way to prevent a slave rebellion," declares @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the widow of a late slaver holder. She stands up and pours herself a drink from the bar. "Free all the slaves and ban slavery. I freed all my husband's slaves last week and no harm has befallen me. People are more productive if they aren't constantly in fear. Wages are better encouragement than any slave driver. And unbeknownst to many here, slaves are human beings and fellow @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@."
[effect] freed slaves end up working for the same person that previously owned them
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 26 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Bordurian Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian Islands » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 am

I believe that the description is way too long. Three or four sentences should be the max.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:05 am

Bordurian Islands wrote:I believe that the description is way too long. Three or four sentences should be the max.

When I wrote the description, I would compare its word count to that of existing issues. The description's word count is in line with existing NS issues.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Nice, an option focused on how slaves should be treated! This would be great for both the ruthless dictators and the compassionate slavedrivers, I suppose. :lol2:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:"We've imported far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. Let's go back to enslaving the common people of this great nation; let's bring back the jobs! Deport the foreign slaves and make @@NAME@@ great again!"
I don't see the logical connection between whether you're using foreign or local slaves, and how many there are. You can have a nation with relatively few slaves that still prefers to import them, or a nation where the majority of the ethnically-native population is enslaved.

However, if you do need to reduce your number of slaves, that raises the question of how do you plan to get rid of them? You currently mentioning deporting them, but I think most people'd prefer to sell them off to other slave-using nations, if at all possible. At least get some money for the slaves you don't need (they are a commodity, after all). Or you could also just kill 'em all, because who cares about slaves?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Hello and welcome to Got Issues! It's always nice to see a new writer!

Excellent, especially for a first draft!

Now let's take a look. I'm gonna be abrupt and to the point here, which is a reflection of my personality, not your work:

1. Your description is quite long
2. Option 2- wait, @@HE@@ does know what a slave is, doesn't he?
3. Option 3- Should read @@HE@@ cracks @@HIS@@ whip and holds up his glass
4. Option 4- You should mention the word "ban"
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:"We've imported far too many slaves, much more than we can control. We have scale it down before we have a rebellion on our uncalloused hands. Let's go back to enslaving the common people of this great nation; let's bring back the jobs! Deport the foreign slaves and make @@NAME@@ great again!"
I don't see the logical connection between whether you're using foreign or local slaves, and how many there are.

254.3 implies that there would be more slaves in the nation if importing was allowed.
Trotterdam wrote:You can have a nation with relatively few slaves that still prefers to import them, or a nation where the majority of the ethnically-native population is enslaved.

The former may the case for some nations, but 254.3 implies the large-scale importation of slaves "to meet demands." The latter is what the person in Option 1 is proposing.
Trotterdam wrote:However, if you do need to reduce your number of slaves, that raises the question of how do you plan to get rid of them? You currently mentioning deporting them, but I think most people'd prefer to sell them off to other slave-using nations, if at all possible. At least get some money for the slaves you don't need (they are a commodity, after all). Or you could also just kill 'em all, because who cares about slaves?

Thank you for the suggestions. The person in Option 1 now proposes that the foreign slaves be sold off to other nations.
Australian Republic wrote:

Hello and welcome to Got Issues! It's always nice to see a new writer!

Thank you for the fruit basket. Ransium was right:
Ransium wrote:Post another issue and you'll have three.

Australian Republic wrote:1. Your description is quite long
2. Option 2- wait, @@HE@@ does know what a slave is, doesn't he?
3. Option 3- Should read @@HE@@ cracks @@HIS@@ whip and holds up his glass
4. Option 4- You should mention the word "ban"

1. Since two people have pointed this out, I have shortened the description somewhat.
2. Yes. A good number of the people in NS issues options are have flaws in their reasoning.
3. Fixed.
4. Done.
Jutsa wrote:Nice, an option focused on how slaves should be treated! This would be great for both the ruthless dictators and the compassionate slavedrivers, I suppose. :lol2:

I'm glad you liked it.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:35 am

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:254.3 implies that there would be more slaves in the nation if importing was allowed.
Maybe, but this isn't #254. I think issues are better when they stand on their own, rather than relying on technicalities of exactly how previous issues were written, unless they're following the narrative very closely like chain issues.

Also consider that not every slave-owning nation is going to have chosen #254 3, and considering how few slavery-oriented issues there are (sensible, given how much of a fringe choice it is), I think it would be better if the ones we do have tried to be as widely-applicable as possible. The question of how slaves should be treated is a reasonable dilemma regardless of where you have those slaves from, so I advise trying to rewrite this draft to be applicable to all slave-owning nations.

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:2. Option 2- wait, @@HE@@ does know what a slave is, doesn't he?
2. Yes. A good number of the people in NS issues options are have flaws in their reasoning.
I think what Australian Republic is getting at - or it's what I'm getting at now, anyway - is that those flaws should be more visible, and preferably used for humor.

Try to write the option in a way that highlights that, even if you're being treated relatively well, compared to other slaves, you're still a slave. Like having the speaker suggest things that sound nice but have some obvious catch or ominous undertone to them. Things that sound good, compared to not having them, but still make you feel sorry for the people who look up to this as their biggest luxury.

Alternatively, you could go the serious approach, as some real-life societies have done: allow slaves enough rights that they can own their own property and eventually earn enough money to buy their freedom. But that's less likely to be funny, so I suggest following the preceding paragraph if you think you're up to coming up with something good.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:51 am

Trotterdam wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:254.3 implies that there would be more slaves in the nation if importing was allowed.
Maybe, but this isn't #254. I think issues are better when they stand on their own, rather than relying on technicalities of exactly how previous issues were written, unless they're following the narrative very closely like chain issues.

Also consider that not every slave-owning nation is going to have chosen #254 3, and considering how few slavery-oriented issues there are (sensible, given how much of a fringe choice it is), I think it would be better if the ones we do have tried to be as widely-applicable as possible. The question of how slaves should be treated is a reasonable dilemma regardless of where you have those slaves from, so I advise trying to rewrite this draft to be applicable to all slave-owning nations.

This draft is about what the upper class would do if slaves became the majority demographic. The reason why this draft relies heavily upon the technicalities of 254.3 is because I found that option to be the only one that would lead to this situation of slaves being the majority. I've recently found out that 190.1 can also be a prerequisite for the situation described in the draft, so I've edited the draft in light of this. Those are the minor edits. I'm currently trying to incorporate more of your suggestions.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:13 am

I have updated the draft in accordance with the suggestions of Australian Republic and Trotterdam. The issue is now applicable to all nations where slavery is legal.

Further comments are welcome.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:17 am

Just popping in for some grammar/spelling fixtures - and I apologize in advance if mine's just as bad. :lol2:

Option 1:
We've have far too many slaves, much more than we can control.

Perhaps "we have" would be better? Also, perhaps "far more" would be better, although I'm not certain about that one.
Option 2:
a young basket weaving magnate, shattering @@HIS@@ glass.

Would this be better as "a young @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ magnate"? Idk if it would, but just a thought.
Ow! The shards!

Mind my asking what this references, if anything? I don't get it... :blush:

That's all I have for now. I think otherwise it may be good enough to submit. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:44 am

Jutsa wrote:Just popping in for some grammar/spelling fixtures - and I apologize in advance if mine's just as bad. :lol2:

Option 1:
We've have far too many slaves, much more than we can control.

Perhaps "we have" would be better? Also, perhaps "far more" would be better, although I'm not certain about that one.

My mistake. Fixed.
Jutsa wrote:Option 2:
a young basket weaving magnate, shattering @@HIS@@ glass.

Would this be better as "a young @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ magnate"? Idk if it would, but just a thought.

I thought about that too, but I think that @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ wouldn't work with the option.
Jutsa wrote:
Ow! The shards!

Mind my asking what this references, if anything? I don't get it... :blush:

The shards from the broken glass. I've removed it since it was confusing.
Jutsa wrote:That's all I have for now. I think otherwise it may be good enough to submit. :)

As much as I would like to think that, the draft would benefit from further review.

Thank you for your comments.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:43 am

Should I change anything?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:46 pm

I see you changed the title - indeed, it's probably a more accurate title, at that!

I quite like it - it's a little long, but there've been names just as long other times so, yes,
I personally think it'd be all right.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:58 pm

You know, I've got to thinking...

Option 4's neat and all, and I appreciate her tone, but I do worry that it's not specific enough.
If you don't understand that slavery is wrong right now, then you won't understand even if I explain it

This does concern me a little. To our point of view, it seems obvious, but remember for a nation where slavery's a common practice
- and that included the old-timey USA - it may seem wrong to let them free.
Perhaps instead she should try and show it, somehow. Say, she says they have the same kind of feelings and that no people
should be treated as slaves - in your, or her, own words, of course.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:19 am

Jutsa wrote:I see you changed the title - indeed, it's probably a more accurate title, at that!

I quite like it - it's a little long, but there've been names just as long other times so, yes,
I personally think it'd be all right.

Thanks.
Jutsa wrote:You know, I've got to thinking...

Option 4's neat and all, and I appreciate her tone, but I do worry that it's not specific enough.
If you don't understand that slavery is wrong right now, then you won't understand even if I explain it

This does concern me a little. To our point of view, it seems obvious, but remember for a nation where slavery's a common practice
- and that included the old-timey USA - it may seem wrong to let them free.
Perhaps instead she should try and show it, somehow. Say, she says they have the same kind of feelings and that no people
should be treated as slaves - in your, or her, own words, of course.

Edited accordingly.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:36 am

Ah, very nice! No need for change imo but then again, I said that before and changed my mind. :P

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:14 pm

I doubt that @@CAPITAL@@ would be one of the places with the highest proportion of slaves to citizens. Wouldn't that be a rural place
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Jutsa wrote:Ah, very nice! No need for change imo but then again, I said that before and changed my mind. :P

No problem.
Australian Republic wrote:I doubt that @@CAPITAL@@ would be one of the places with the highest proportion of slaves to citizens. Wouldn't that be a rural place

Fixed.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Anything else to add?

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 am

I'm considering changing the title.

How is At Close Quarters or @@NAME@@ Given No Quarter?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:59 am

This is a good issue premise, but generally speaking the options are a couple of lines too long each for my liking, and the effect lines need to do more than describe what has just happened. I always think that a good effect line should logically follow the decision, but be a surprising and amusing consequence, or at least a humorous way of describing what has just happened. While straight descriptions of a decision were the norm for the first hundred issues, the current style of the game demands a little more cleverness.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:This is a good issue premise, but generally speaking the options are a couple of lines too long each for my liking, and the effect lines need to do more than describe what has just happened. I always think that a good effect line should logically follow the decision, but be a surprising and amusing consequence, or at least a humorous way of describing what has just happened. While straight descriptions of a decision were the norm for the first hundred issues, the current style of the game demands a little more cleverness.

Edited accordingly.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:15 am

Much better. May be some room for further improvement on some of them, but this one...

...is golden.

Really good line.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:27 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:May be some room for further improvement on some of them...

Made some minor edits to Option 1. I've been trying to come up with better effect lines for Options 1 and 4. I'm open to suggestions from everyone.
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:... but this one...

...is golden.

Really good line.

Thank you.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?