NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] Do You Have Artistic License?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

[ACCEPTED] Do You Have Artistic License?

Postby Goolsbee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:05 am

Can't say I've ever submitted an issue before, but I don't think any current issues really touch on the topic of occupational licensing. I made the mistake of prematurely submitting something similar without soliciting feedback here, and didn't keep a separate copy.

#772: Do You Have Artistic License? [Goolsbee; ed:Caracasus]

The Issue
Disaster! The organizers of a charity dinner you are attending have been forced to cancel a scheduled stand-up routine by Jerry Fallon, famous comedian and headliner, because he has not renewed his entertainer’s license. During the commotion, several of the nation’s great and good also in attendance have come to your table to argue their positions on occupational licensing.

The Debate
1. “This shows why we must end licensing once and for all!” splutters Conan Kent, Chairman of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Freer Enterprise Committee. “I ask you, who do you think is best placed to decide who is qualified? Some stuffed shirt bureaucrat sitting in a comfy office in @@CAPITAL@@ or the employer? Leave it up to the free market to decide! If folks don’t think much of a plumber, electrician or doctor then they’ll vote with their @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@!”

2. “Don’t listen to this laissez-faire claptrap,” sneers consumer advocate @@RANDOMNAME@@, discreetly shoveling vol-au-vents into @@HIS@@ pocket. “Occupational licensing protects consumers from incompetence and harm. We should be expanding the scope of licensing! Just look at the shoddy workmanship on these table decorations!”

3. “My children’s babysitter doesn’t need a license to do a good job, but we obviously need to enforce certain standards for important professions where people’s lives are at stake - like doctors,” observes Dr. @@RANDOMNAME@@, President of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Medical Association. “The best way to protect the public and to keep out the riff-raff is to require a letter of recommendation to the licensing board from established and respected associations, such as mine.”

[title] Do You Have Artistic License?

[validity] Moderate to low economic freedom

[desc] A charity dinner you attended last night cancelled a scheduled standup routine by the famous comedian and headliner Jerry Fallon because he had not renewed his entertainer's license. After some commotion, a group of lobbyists in attendance came to you to argue their positions on occupational licensing.

[option]"This shows why we must end licensing once and for all," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chairman of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for Free Enterprise. "It's not the government's place to act as the gatekeeper for any honest line of work. Leave it to the market to decide who is qualified to do these jobs, not bureaucrats in @@CAPITAL@@! Sure, some practitioners might perform shoddy work and do some harm, but the benefits surely outweigh the costs. Besides, that's what the courts are for!"
[effect]dentists routinely perform heart surgery

[option]"Don't listen to this laissez-faire claptrap," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a consumer advocate. "Occupational licensing protects consumers from incompetence and harm. On that note, I saw a florist selling some dreadful flower arrangements; if anything, we should expand occupational licensing even more!"
[effect]unlicensed @@ANIMAL@@ groomers are regularly raided

[option]"There is a compromise, you know," whispers Dr. @@RANDOMNAME@@, President of the @@NAME@@ Medical Association. "My kids' babysitter doesn't need a license and does a fine enough job, but we most certainly need to enforce licensing requirements for some important professions, like doctors and engineers. The best way to protect the reputations of these professions is to require a recommendation to the licensing board from professional associations such as mine, with the happy consequence of reserving room for the best @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, such as my children," he pauses, "or your nephews."
[effect]the lower classes are virtually locked out of many high-earning professions

[title] Do You Have the Fool's License?

[validity] Moderate to low economic freedom

[desc] A charity dinner you attended last night cancelled a scheduled standup routine by the famous comedian and headliner Jerry Fallon because he had not renewed his entertainer's license. After some commotion, a group of lobbyists in attendance came to you to argue their positions on occupational licensing.

[option]"This shows why we must end licensing once and for all," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chairman of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for Free Enterprise. "It's not the government's place to act as the gatekeeper for any honest line of work. Leave it to the market to decide who is qualified to do these jobs, not bureaucrats in @@CAPITAL@@! Sure, some practitioners might perform shoddy work and do some harm, but the benefits surely outweigh the costs. Besides, that's what the courts are for!"

[option]"Don't listen to this laissez-faire claptrap," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a consumer advocate. "Occupational licensing protects consumers from incompetence and harm. On that note, I saw a florist selling some dreadful flower arrangements; if anything, we should expand occupational licensing even more!"

[option]"There is a compromise, you know," whispers Dr. @@RANDOMNAME@@, President of the @@NAME@@ Medical Association. "My kids' babysitter doesn't need a license and does a fine enough job, but we most certainly need to enforce licensing requirements for some important professions, like doctors and engineers. The best way to protect the reputations of these professions is to require a recommendation to the licensing board from professional associations such as mine, with the happy consequence of reserving room for the best @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, such as my children," he pauses, "or your nephews."
[effect]the lower classes are virtually locked out of many high-earning professions

[option]"This shows why we must end licensing once and for all," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chairman of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for Free Enterprise. "Leave it to the market to decide who is qualified to do these jobs, not bureaucrats in @@CAPITAL@@!"

[option]"This shows why we must end licensing once and for all," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chairman of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for Free Enterprise. "Leave it to the market to decide who is qualified to do these jobs, not bureaucrats in @@CAPITAL@@!"

[option]"Don't listen to this laissez-faire claptrap," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a consumer advocate. "Occupational licensing protects consumers from incompetent tradesmen and professionals who would harm them. On that note, I saw a florist selling some dreadful flower arrangements; if anything, we should expand occupational licensing even more!"
[effect]prospective @@ANIMAL@@ groomers require training through increasingly competitive apprenticeships

[option]"There is a compromise, you know," whispers Dr. @@RANDOMNAME@@, President of the @@NAME@@ Medical Association. "My kids' babysitter doesn't need a license and does a fine enough job, but we most certainly need to maintain licensing requirements for some important professions, like doctors and engineers. The best way to protect the reputations of these professions is to require a recommendation to the licensing board from professional associations such as mine, with the happy consequence of reserving room for the best @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, such as my children," he pauses, "or your nephews."

[title] To License A Gardener

[desc] Occupational licensing has grown to more occupations than ever before, concerning many citizens.

[option]"End licensing once and for all," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chairman of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for Free Enterprise. "Leave it to the market to decide who is qualified to do these jobs, not bureaucrats in @@CAPITAL@@!"

[option]"Nonsense," says Sir Mumphrey Appletree, Permanent Secretary of the Administration of Bureaucratic Affairs. "The occupational licensing regime protects public confidence in @@NAME@@'s most important professions, and the licensing boards give us somewhere to put the more troublesome members of the civil service. Thinking about it, I was rather miffed when a florist tried to sell me a most dreadful arrangement; we should expand the licensing regime some more, I say."
[effect]@@ANIMAL@@ groomers require extensive training through increasingly rare apprenticeship programs

[option]"There is a compromise, you know," says Dr. @@RANDOMNAME@@, President of the @@NAME@@ Medical Association. "My kids' babysitter doesn't need a license and does a fine enough job, but we most certainly need to maintain licensing requirements for some important professions, like doctors and engineers. The best way to protect the reputations of these professions is to require a recommendation to the licensing board from professional associations such as mine, with the happy consequence of reserving room for the best @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, such as your nephews."
[effect]the lower classes are virtually locked out of high-earning professions
Last edited by Goolsbee on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:09 am

Very nice issue for a first trial, congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think you should be using @@NAME@@ instead of @@NATION@@.

Is there a specific reason you chose "To License a Gardener" as your title?

Similarly, perhaps I don't get the joke, but is there also a specific reason you chose "Sir Mumphrey Appletree" as the name of the speaker in Option 2?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goolsbee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I think you should be using @@NAME@@ instead of @@NATION@@.

Whoops, corrected.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there a specific reason you chose "To License a Gardener" as your title?

I wanted a title that emphasizes the ridiculous reach of occupational licensing.

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Similarly, perhaps I don't get the joke, but is there also a specific reason you chose "Sir Mumphrey Appletree" as the name of the speaker in Option 2?

It's a reference to the BBC's Yes Minister and its deuteragonist Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:24 am

A fellow fan!

You might enjoy issue 696, "No, Minister", which includes Jem Hacker, Brian Butcher and Humphrey Pearby.

Of course, the downside is that I've "used up" that reference, so we probably wouldn't use it again.

Good first draft though, will take a closer look at it later.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:38 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A fellow fan!

You might enjoy issue 696, "No, Minister", which includes Jem Hacker, Brian Butcher and Humphrey Pearby.

Of course, the downside is that I've "used up" that reference, so we probably wouldn't use it again.

Good first draft though, will take a closer look at it later.

Though I love both Yes Minister and its spiritual successor The Thick of It, I find I simply can't watch too much of it anymore. Seems a little too close to reality some days...

As for the issue. My first thought is this. You need to make sure that you show, and don't tell in your initial description. Think about an event, possibly involving you (the leader of the country) that could have prompted it. Don't tell my my citizens are concerned and that this is a problem, show me!

I like the gardener premise, so how could that be worked in?
Last edited by Caracasus on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:02 am

Hello and welcome to Got Issues! It's always nice to see a new writer!

This is brilliant for a first draft :clap: :clap: :clap:

You might want to explain what you mean by occupational licensing
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:06 am

How about this?

Issue Title Proposal: Do You Have the Fool's Licence?

Description: when you went to a comedy club last night with your advisors to attend the stand-up show of the famous comedian Russell Brandy (or any name you can think of) after a hectic day of work, you learned that the show was cancelled, because Mr. Brandy did not have a licence to work as a comedian. One of your advisors brings it to your attention that occupational licensing has grown to too many occupations and it might be time for regulation.

P.S. I use "fool" in the sense of "jester" here of course. In Shakespeare's plays you can sometimes see the fools (the court jesters) say very bold things, even subtly insult the royals, because they have the Fool's Licence to do so. That's why I picked a comedian here.

You could also try it with "poet's licence" perhaps, for a heightened comic effect. A poet could be barred from writing or reciting poems, because s/he does not have a licence, etc.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goolsbee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:15 am

Australian Republic wrote:You might want to explain what you mean by occupational licensing

Some governments require a license to pursue certain trades or professions or offer certain services to the public. Most governments have reasonable occupational licensing laws, such as for electricians, doctors and lawyers. In an extreme example, the State of Louisiana requires retail florists to have a license from the state in order to do business. Or are you saying that the description should help the reader understand occupational licensing?

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:How about this?

Issue Title Proposal: Do You Have the Fool's Licence?

Description: when you went to a comedy club last night with your advisors to attend the stand-up show of the famous comedian Russell Brandy (or any name you can think of) after a hectic day of work, you learned that the show was cancelled, because Mr. Brandy did not have a licence to work as a comedian. One of your advisors brings it to your attention that occupational licensing has grown to too many occupations and it might be time for regulation.

P.S. I use "fool" in the sense of "jester" here of course. In Shakespeare's plays you can sometimes see the fools (the court jesters) say very bold things, even subtly insult the royals, because they have the Fool's Licence to do so. That's why I picked a comedian here.

You could also try it with "poet's licence" perhaps, for a heightened comic effect. A poet could be barred from writing or reciting poems, because s/he does not have a licence, etc.

This is brilliant.
Last edited by Goolsbee on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:24 am

Goolsbee wrote:[option]"End licensing once and for all," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Chairman of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for Free Enterprise. "Leave it to the market to decide who is qualified to do these jobs, not bureaucrats in @@CAPITAL@@!"
In many cases, the free market will ask for a license. Businesses aren't keen on hiring people for important jobs who can't demonstrate that they have the relevant training.

Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goolsbee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:40 am

I've added a second draft incorporating some suggestions from the thread and eliminating the Yes Minister reference.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:07 am

Great, I love the new draft, and I also like the way you have rendered my wordy suggestion into a witty and succinct description.

I find the effect line of option 2 a bit too direct. It could possibly be more subtle.

Actually, one consequence of requiring licenses for every petty job is that you will also need institutions/training courses that will grant these licenses, right? So this could give rise to many weird occupational schools being opened all across the country.

For example, I am not sure whether hotel maids or janitors need a licence to do what they are doing. Maybe you could use that.

So the effect line would be something like:

"hotel maids in @@NAME@@ have to pass a pillow-fluffing exam to get a licence."

or

"janitors in @@NAME@@ have to attend a floor-mopping school to get a licence."

or something like that.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goolsbee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:49 am

I changed the second option's effect line and changed the option text a bit.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:26 am

Haven't read the earlier drafts, but the current one looks pretty good.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goolsbee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Revised the text of the first option and added a validity condition.
Last edited by Goolsbee on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 am

Yeah, really good. I'm sure we'd tweak it prior to publication, but looks very solid.

I'd probably suggest though that the title should be "Artistic License".

Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goolsbee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:24 am

Retitled and submitted. Thanks for the feedback!

Goolsbee
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goolsbee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:04 pm

The issue was accepted on the 15th. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Goolsbee wrote:The issue was accepted on the 15th. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Congrats! I recently received it with one of my nations!

Oh hey, my 100th post!
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 am

Congragulations!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 am

Goolsbee wrote:The issue was accepted on the 15th. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

A solid premise, a well written issue and constructive criticism/feedback from the community was taken on board. I enjoyed editing this one. First of many I hope!

This may entertain you all. It turns out that we cannot produce an issue more ridiculous than what real life throws up - even when we try!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40679075
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 am

Caracasus wrote:

A solid premise, a well written issue and constructive criticism/feedback from the community was taken on board. I enjoyed editing this one. First of many I hope!

This may entertain you all. It turns out that we cannot produce an issue more ridiculous than what real life throws up - even when we try!

Haha, this is nothing. Turkey beats you all!

http://www.birgun.net/haber-detay/polic ... 70701.html

FYI, this is a random T-shirt sold by a Turkish clothing company (similar to Banana Republic, I could say) and they were found in all their stores. One of the Gulenists tried for having taken part in last year's coup attempt wore one of those T-shirts when he attended a court hearing, and now everyone who happens to be wearing the same T-shirt is rounded up by the police.

------------------

Btw, I also loved this issue. Congratulations on its publication! :clap:
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:18 am

Aw man, now I want one of those T-shirts, just to show solidarity. I mean, I'm not gonna wear it to Turkey, because I'm not THAT brave, but it'd be a fun thing to own.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aw man, now I want one of those T-shirts, just to show solidarity. I mean, I'm not gonna wear it to Turkey, because I'm not THAT brave, but it'd be a fun thing to own.

I think, if these days pass and we can see better days, those T-shirts might end up having historical value. Procuring one now could make you rich in the future.

But you can't buy them now. The clothing company was afraid and they stopped manufacturing those T-shirts. They are no longer sold in their website. I think they will destroy their stocks, too.

I wonder what is next?

"The Gulenists have been found to be wearing shoes, so we will arrest everyone who is not walking around barefoot and try them for treason"?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

Haha, this is nothing. Turkey beats you all!

http://www.birgun.net/haber-detay/polic ... 70701.html

FYI, this is a random T-shirt sold by a Turkish clothing company (similar to Banana Republic, I could say) and they were found in all their stores. One of the Gulenists tried for having taken part in last year's coup attempt wore one of those T-shirts when he attended a court hearing, and now everyone who happens to be wearing the same T-shirt is rounded up by the police.

------------------

Btw, I also loved this issue. Congratulations on its publication! :clap:

Wow. You see, if someone posted the whole T-shirt thing as an issue I think I'd probably tell them it was too silly to be an issue and while we aim for satire and exaggeration that would be taking it too far...

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I wonder what is next?

"The Gulenists have been found to be wearing shoes, so we will arrest everyone who is not walking around barefoot and try them for treason"?

We already have the option to implement the Foot Tax (or at least an option referencing it), if you want something that ridiculous...?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?