NATION

PASSWORD

A New Mother (Greater Olympia)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Kaitaine
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

A New Mother (Greater Olympia)

Postby Kaitaine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Chapterhouse Island was unusually quiet, no visitors were permitted, be it members of the Bene Gesserit faithful coming across to pray on the most holy of island or simply members of the nobility coming to seek advice from the Sisterhood's priestesses, known as The Mothers. The Four Branches that made up the Sisterhood gathered in the centre of the School that dominated the rocky island, the bald headed Mothers leading the others in prayer. Inside the the main building the leader of the Sisterhood, The Reverend Mother was dying, she had been now for several days, the cancer that had been found in her liver several months ago had now ravaged her body and the once formidible woman lay in a large bed surrounded by the leaders of the Four Branches. Dressed in black and with a smooth shaved head was Katherine Mayfield, the 2nd most senior of The Mothers, and most likely to succeed the dying Reverend Mother, she had a tight grip of her friends hand as though by letting go Shai Hulud, the spirit that claimed the souls of the dead, would suddenly appear.

Across the bed was Shona Murray, the Lead Scholar of the Missionra Protectiva, the branch that acted as the record keepers and researchers for the Sisterhood. The blue tunic wearing woman sat close by the head of the dying woman, a notepad in her hand, as well as saying good bye to her friend it would be her role to record the final words or instructions of the Reverend Mother, even in death her words were law. Next to her sat Mary McCaul, the General of the Truthsayers, the Sisterhoods military order. She was sat in her khaki dress uniform in complete silence, her eyes never leaving the fading ones of the woman in the bed. In her hand Mary held a smooth knife known as a crysknife, it was made from bone and sharpened to a wicked point. It belonged to the Reverend Mother, all members of the Sisterhood made one in their final year of training regardless of their branch of service, it would be used for a whole host of rituals and now had one left to perform. Finally at the foot of the bed was Alison Grace, the 1st Matres, head of the Honored Matres, those girls deemed to be concubines and carers for the noble families. She was weeping, it was typical, everyone knew the Honored Matres were the most sensitive of the four branches and her tears for her dying friend ran down her cheek.

"Come close" the Reverend Mother croaked with a small gesture to Shona who dutifully did as she was instructed, her pen hovering ready. "The Sisterhood must expand, the Sisterhood needs new blood. The Kwizach Hadarach needs fresh chances, deliver it, open Chapterhouse" with that her eyes closed and Shona placed a hand over her nose and mouth, their was no breath. She placed two fingers at the old ladies neck, nothing.

"She's gone" Shona stood and moved to one side, "Mary, its time" The Truthsayer stood and took a bugle from her crossbelt, she blew it long and hard, the sound carrying out the open window a signal to the Sisterhood and the world that their leader was dead. The notes played she placed the bugle on the bed and took the knife, pricking the Reverend Mothers thumb she with the Crysknife she squeezed a drop of blood into a box containing the dark red ritual spice known as Melange, she used the knife to mix it and then another drop. The ritual prepared for the future she crossed to a box prepared for this purpose, it was full of chemicals designed to destroy the knife, its owners life over it's was too. Carefully Mary dropped it into the box and watched as it bubbled and fizzed.

The four women stood at the foot of the bed and began talking.

"Oh mighty Shai-hulud
Keeper of balance
Bless the Maker and His water
Bless the coming and going of Him
May His passage cleanse the world."

Two days later the Reverend Mother was given to the desert, her body had been taken from Chapterhouse up to the desert city of Seitch, the 2nd most holy place in the world to the Bene Gesserit. A deep hole had been dug, so deep the water table had been hit, with thousands gathered in the surrounding dune's the simple burial took place, he body wrapped only in a single thin piece of cloth and tied. "With this act we return the Reverend Mother to the desert from where we all came. Her water shall return to the Earth and her body consumed by the sandworm, to become Melange, by this action her knowledge shall live forever more." A small 12 year old girl recited at the grave side, it was always the duty of a young apprentice to remind the Sisterhood that the Reverend Mother would in some form last forever.

All that was left now was to select the successor, this was done back at Chapterhouse, the Missionara had researched long and hard the last few days, with the diagnosis of cancer they had been prewarned and as such the task had been made simpler. Katherine Mayfield had of course made the list, as to had the 3rd ranked Mother, a middle aged woman who had horn rimmed glasses, but finally they had selected a 19 year old, just one year out of training at Chapterhouse, her family lineage and test results had made her an unlikely choice but the Missionara were swayed by science and logic and not neccessarily tradition. The three candidates were each accompanied by a member of the Missionara who meet with the heads of the other three branches, each scholar presented the case for their representative and then the final test came. Each of the three perspective new Reverend Mothers was given a small pinch of the spice Melange, it had come from the box with the blood of the former incumbent mixed in, each licked it from their fingers and then sat meditating on the floor. One at a time they were called behind a screen by Shona and asked a simple question. "What would the former Reverend Mother do?" each gave their answer in private and then returned, their actions being observed. With the final candidate asked they were dismissed and the three woman, Shona, Mary and Alison sat in discussion.

"I can't believe we're doing this" Alison shook her head.

"It was almost word for word" Shona showed the pad with the words spoken by the deceased woman, next to them were the answers given just moments ago, and there was an almost identical answer, just a word different. "We must abide by our methods" Shona insisted and the others reluctantly nodded.

"Very well, do as we've been instructed." Mary announced, with that their choice was made, 19 year old Erin Brennan would become the new Reverened Mother, and with that she would meet the world.

To All Heads of State

It is with deep regret we announce the death of Reverned Mother Tessa Harris at the age of 67 from cancer. She had served as the leader of both the Bene Gesserit faith and the leader of Kaitaine for 25 years and in that time gained the love of her people. She was buried in the traditions of her faith that she loved, and as such there will be no state funeral. Her dying wishes have been used to help determine a successor. In two days time, at the next full moon, Erin Brennan will inherit the Reverned Mothers title and knowledge, this will give her the triple role of leader of the Sisterhood, leader of the Bene Gesserit and leader of Kaitaine. It was Reverned Mother Harris' wish that the faith open ourselves from much of our secrecy and embrace the world in a warmer way than we have. Therefore we invite all nations to send a representative to witness the initiation of Erin Brennan at Chapterhouse Island.

May Shai Hulud pass you by

The Sisterhood and the Four Holy Houses of Kaitaine

It had been determined that a small reception would be held at the quayside that housed the only boats permitted to travel to Chapterhouse, they were not luxurious, simply wooden hulled boats with small engines for calm days and sails for days like today where the wind made the sea form small peaks. Each boat was painted black and had the gold Bene Gesserit emblemn painted on one side. There hulls had been rubbed down with the spice Melange to bless them and their passengers which would now form, or at least was hoped, members of the international community. As the most beloved of the Four Holy Houses, at least by Harris, it was left to Niklaus Corrino to meet any of the arrivals. He was rather nervous and his wife Agatha urged him to stop pacing as the ships crews watched him. "Dear you're wearing a groove in the beach" she chuckled as she placed a hand on his shoulder. "Look, think about it this way, everyone who comes here is going into this blind, at least we know whats coming next and how things will be done. They'll be so nervous about making cultural mistakes they'll be grateful to see you helping them. So relax, enjoy the day, and start planning how we make this girl keep you as her favourite." she kissed him on the cheek and held his hand to stop him beginning his pacing once more.

Zanaro
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanaro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Torman, Capital City of Zanaro

Kotonashi Kazuto Kroviun sat in a deep meditation within the spacious training room. The room had once been used by his ancestors to train their elite guard in the traditional combat arts, sword, spear, bow, knife, hand to hand, and stealth. For nearly a century though it has become a place that is used only by the Imperial family to meditate and practice the nearly lost combat arts. Incense filled the air as sweat still dripped from Kazuto's brow, today he had pushed his body to its limits, something he had become lax about doing since his coronation nearly three years ago.

A messenger quietly entered the room, keeping his head bowed as he hurried across the chamber. The young man kneeled and entered a bow, offer a letter with outstretched arms. His movement barely distubing the air. The man would willingly hold that position for hours so as not to interrupt his lords meditation, but remaining available should the lord deign to take the message. Thankfully for the messenger Kazuto was always willing to see the task at hand, preferring to keep busy instead of remaining aloof like his father had. Kazuto opened his eyes and looked upon the man. He was wearing the traditional servant robes, but trimmed in white to denote his service to the Imperial Family. Letting out a deep breath Kazuto reached out and grabbed the not, he waved his hand and dismissed the servant.

To All Heads of State

It is with deep regret we announce the death of Reverned Mother Tessa Harris at the age of 67 from cancer. She had served as the leader of both the Bene Gesserit faith and the leader of Kaitaine for 25 years and in that time gained the love of her people. She was buried in the traditions of her faith that she loved, and as such there will be no state funeral. Her dying wishes have been used to help determine a successor. In two days time, at the next full moon, Erin Brennan will inherit the Reverned Mothers title and knowledge, this will give her the triple role of leader of the Sisterhood, leader of the Bene Gesserit and leader of Kaitaine. It was Reverned Mother Harris' wish that the faith open ourselves from much of our secrecy and embrace the world in a warmer way than we have. Therefore we invite all nations to send a representative to witness the initiation of Erin Brennan at Chapterhouse Island.

He read the note over several times ensuring he would digest the whole of it. It seems the Reverend Mother, leader of the Bene Gesserit, and Kaitaine had passed. This would be the first such passing since Kazuto had taken the throne. He stood up carefully, allowing his blood to begin to circulate again. The candles were nearly extinguished and the incense stick was burned out, while the smell still lingered. Kazuto extinguished each candle one by one with his fingers and a bow. He walked slowly to the small shrine at the front of the room that is dedicated to the God Ve'Kin, an ancestor of the Imperial Family. Kazuto presented a small offering of sake, gave a deep bow, and left the chamber for the throne room.

As he walked several servants joined him, keeping up with his now brisk pace, his training robe flowing as he sped. He handed the letter to one of the servants and dismissed him to add it to the archives, where all formal letters and writtings are kept.

"Prepare a plane for me, and a small retinue of Imperial Knights, I intend to visit Kaitaine." Spoke the Kotonashi in his authoritative voice.

"As you command my lord." The servant gave a deep bow, ceased walking and left to prepare as he was commanded. Kazuto entered the throne room, where a small number of the Imperial Diet often mingled and schemed. The lot of them were like vipers, always seeking to strike at one another whenever an opening presented itself. The only person they feared to strike at was Kotonashi Kazuto, as the military was under his direct control. The group gave a deep bow as Kazuto climbed the small flight of stairs and sat upon the throne.

"Welcome back my lord, how was your traing today?" Spoke Inpuku Pronjii Kallen Verko offering a flowery bow.

"It was good Verko, I presume you've heard about the letter by now?"

"Yes my lord. What are your plans? Shall I arrange a delegation of nobles to send?"

"No need, I intend to go myself. Do arrange for a gift to provide to the new Reverend Mother, perhaps some work of art."

"Of course my lord, forgive me for saying, but is it not risky to go yourself?"

"It is more risky to never leave this palace. To do so would show Zanaro is a weak country, a former power in the world. I intend to show we will be active, and willing to meet with the other nations of the world. If we are ever to become a powerful nation again we must rebuild relationships, be more open with outsiders, and show willingness to negotiate. As such I intend to meet with the new Reverend Mother, and give my condolences for the passing of the previous." Verko gave a deep bow in recognition of Kotonashi Kazuto's rank and decision.

Chapterhouse, Kaitiane

Kotonashi Kazuto Kroviun stepped out of the small wooden boat with a delegation of five Imperial Knights, and three members of the Imperial Court, Lady Izumo, Lady Kai, and Lord Urikashi. The small delegation brought with them a small wooden chest inlay with gold and silver made of black Zanarite ceder, considered a sacred wood, inside were golden coins, rings, necklaces, a silver and gold dagger made from Zanarite Iron, the scabbard also made of the sacred Black Zanarite Ceder. In addition they brought a tapestry showing knights riding dragons defeating evil spirits in pitched combat. Kazuto wore traditional Zanarite summer robes, and wore not a single piece of jewelry, the Knights wore traditional armor and carried ceremonial swords, the three members of court wore traditional Zanarite summer robes as well, but most wore jewelry. The only sign that Kazuto was the head of the nation was a small black steel circlet that is imbued with silver.

Ithemba
Lobbyist

Founded: May 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ithemba » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:06 am

Oyo Nbali prepared himself outside of Othega’s office. He had gone over his conversation with Othega in his head about six times. Making sure there was nothing for the man to scrutinize in his speech. As his personal aide for over 4 Years now Oyo knew one slip up could cost him his job if not his life. He knew that the growing pit in his stomach wouldn't go away until he had delivered the news to the President. Luckily for Oyo, he was delivering good news. Taking a deep breath in he tried one last time to shake off his nerves before opening the door to Othega’s office.

“Good Afternoon your Excellency I have received wonderful news.”

This, of course, was never true. Any news always reached Othega well after the cabinet had already received it. With a formal briefing to steer Othega’s decisions in the "right" direction. Oyo with his script clear in his mind continued, handing the invitation to the president.

“Your Excellency you have been invited to the coronation of the new Reverend Mother in Kaitaine.”

Oyo watched as Othega quickly scanned the invitation with his eyes. Oyo found deep pleasure in seeing His Excellency stumble over exotic concepts. It was a small victory in his mind but a victory all the same. Oyo knew His Excellency couldn’t point to China on a map, let alone understand the intricacies of a Chinese coronation. Neither could most his staff for that matter. As Oyo continued to follow Othega’s eyes they seemed to relax as he reached the end of the letter. His tense posture dropped into a more comfortable position.

“It simply calls for a representative. I am needed here there is much to prepare for. I can not go gallivanting to…”

He paused, his eyes darting back and forth as his mind attempted to catch up to his mouth. The president's face strained as he struggled to recall Kaitaine’s location. Othega being too proud to ever admit defeat attempted pivot

“… across the world at the whim of another nation.”

This was the response Oyo had been expecting. He began crafting his reaction, tailoring it to the president's mood. This was how Oyo survived and where many others failed. Speaking to Othega was an art form in it of itself. It took meticulous craftsmanship to protect one's self in the presence of His Excellency.

“Of course your Excellency my apologies I was caught up in the joyous news. You must remain here for the good of our people”

Othega raised an eyebrow causing Oyo to stiffen up as he avoided Othega's gaze. Oyo had realized his mistake too late, His Excellency doesn't have to do anything, he thought to himself. Yet, Oyo dared not speak as silence permeated the room. Othega wanted Oyo to realize and recognize his mistake. Oyo burned the carpet's features into his eyes as he resisted the urge to look up at Othega. After a torturously long silence, Oyo caved and raised his lowered head in defeat.

“Yes, I am needed in Ithemba so we must find a suitable representative. Where is the Foreign Secretary?”

Othega knew exactly where the Foreign Secretary was, and did not need to be reminded. Oyo scrambled to regain his lost composure, he knew he would not get off so easily a second time.

“You fired Mr. Gona three weeks ago sir. You cited his gross incompetence and negligence as the reason, Your Excellency. I might add a remarkable and prophetic decision. It seems Mr. Gona was behind the so-called corruption scandal! His testimony has cleared your government of all accusations. Since then the position has been vacant.”

"That is indeed excellent news but a replacement is necessary."

"Yes, of course, Your Excellency. I will have a list of potential candidate for you within an hour."

Oyo already had the list in his briefcase but it was an unspoken rule to wait at least an hour before giving His Excellency the results he asked for. The air of the room changed as His Excellency’s gaze became apparent to Oyo.

"Have you thought about the position yourself?"

As the words left his mouth the world seemed to stop. Oyo was in a dangerous position now. His careful calculation had not expected such a turn of events. As he raced to come up with an answer, Othega’s piercing look grew more and more uncomfortable.

"I could never sir" He choked out. His mind swirling as he attempted to regain his composure. “I don’t have the background nor knowledge for such a position and there are many far more qualified than myself!”

He tried to continue but the hard eyes pressing on him told him to keep his mouth shut.

“I see, if it is the experience you need then I will appoint you to go as my Honorable Delegate Representing Ithemba Abroad and Overseas. A wonderful title wouldn’t you agree?”

The pit in his stomach deepened dramatically. Oyo had done his best to exist only in the back of His Excellency’s mind. Oyo was supposed to be yet another face feeding information the president wanted to hear. Now he was being thrust into the spotlight under His Excellency’s watchful eye. The president had not been as forgiving as Oyo had thought or was this simply on a whim. Even after four years, he wasn't sure if Othega was a genius manipulator or an oblivious airhead. Whether Othega was aware of it or not he had successfully trapped Oyo. His mind scrambled to piece together his response as if charting a path through a minefield.

“I am honored… by such a position your excellency… it will serve as a reminder of your diligence and leadership. I shall gladly accept such a role! I will prepare at once your excellency.”

Othega smiled and waved Oyo off as he returned to his thoughts. He turned his chair towards the window and looked out to the jungles in the North East.

Oyo stared out of the private jet’s window as the plane prepared for takeoff. His ceremonial suit hung next to him and a pile of new business cards sat unwrapped. His new title neatly lettered below his name. The thin line that Oyo walked had just gotten thinner. Retirement would come early for Oyo. The question remained would it be on a beach or in front of a firing squad. He took a sip of his scotch as the plane left the jungles of Ithemba behind. Whatever the case it was too late to turn back now.
Last edited by Ithemba on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus.

Good people, Active RPs, Great Maps.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Saint Fedski
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Fedski » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:35 am

The passing of the Reverend Mother came as no surprise to Her Most Benevolent Majesty. Though the Queen was receiving regular reports from her envoy in Kaitaine, the shock and the pain could not be eased. Tessa Harris was one of the first world leaders to reach out and offer congratulations upon Queen Norberta's ascension to the Throne of Lambton. From a young age Norberta had respected, even idolized, the steady hand with which the Reverend Mother conducted her business and guided her people. Perhaps it was because there were many similarities between Harris and Norberta's own mother? Both women were world renowned for their even keels, age old wisdom and motherly qualities.

Growing up sheltered in the shadowy embrace of power, wealth and fame, Norberta found that it was indeed always lonely at the top. For the heir to a throne, true friends are hard to come buy. Those who want to be close often desire and crave power, however reflected. Though true friends were hard to come by, the Queen, as her mother had before her, counted Tessa Harris among the rare few, thus it was doubly difficult to learn of the Reverend Mother's passing.

Queen Norberta had been tending her private garden when an aide, unnaturally solemn, shared the message from Karl Hayess, the Queen's personally selected ambassador to Kaitaine. She paused; attempting to comprehend such terrible news. Not unexpected, but still terrible. With a quiet sigh, Her Most Benevolent Majesty allowed her head to dip forward, before giving it a little shake and stalking off to her study.

Official Statement from Her Most Benevolent Majesty Queen Norberta I on the Passing of the Reverend Mother
Prestwick, Province of Sherwood – (Date)

“With the passing of Reverend Mother Tessa Harris, the world has lost one of the most respected moral and cultural leaders we have ever known.

“While many positions of power are defined by the times in which they govern, Tessa Harris had the rarest of abilities to herself personify the age in which she served. Under her guidance, Kaitaine became a model of stability for the world and a beacon of hope, prosperity and peace, not just for the people of Kaitaine, but for the world.

“I recall with pride her eloquent portrayal of the philosophical groundings of the principals that serve as – and I hope forever will be – the foundation of the many shared goals of Kaitaine and Lambton. Upon my taking the throne, the Reverend Mother offered simple words of guidance - words that I shall forever keep close to my heart and that I hope to impress upon future leaders of Lambton.

“On behalf of the Kingdom of Lambton and all Lambtonites, I extend my deepest sympathies and condolences to the people of Kaitaine and the Bene Gesserit.”

In honour of the special relationship between the Reverend Mother Tessa Harris and the people of Kaitaine; and Queen Norberta I of Lambton and the people of the Kingdom of Lambton, palace flags will fly at half mast for five days following which will be had a moment of silence.

- 30 -

En Route to Chapterhouse, Kaitaine

He was a tall man. He was thin and scraggly with an untidy mop of thins brown hair atop his head and a thin beard and mustache of coarse facial hair that, though well trimmed, always gave him a distinctive slovenly appearance. Try as he might to clean up to look his part, he perpetually looked unkempt. That's not to say he was actually unkempt, slovenly or anything short of professional in his mannerisms, conduct or attire, because he certainly wasn't, he just simply looked like a vagabond in a fancy suit.

Karll Hayes was a man of great paradox; both loathed and respected by colleagues and commoners alike. On one hand, his physical appearance was the cause of great embarrassment (or at least concern) to his noble and political contemporaries, but it was this same appearance that so endeared him to the common folk for he looked like he was one of them. Indeed he had been; at one point in his life. Even without the requisite embellishments his story was one of legend. A common man gaining title was almost unheard of, never mind becoming Prime Minister. It had been a long rise to prominence with many obstacles, but he had approached them with the deft tenacity that would remain the trademark of his career. While not one to shy away from challenges, Hayes yearned for quieter post in which serve the twilight of his storied career. The ambassadorship to Kaitaine was the reward of his choosing and that reward put him on this dusty desert highway.

The highway, if it could even be called such, stretched across the countryside of Kaitaine connecting town to distant village and distant village to remote hamlet. Mile after dusty mile, the highway stretched to infinity with nothing in sight. Cacti and meagre shrubbery streaked past the deeply tinted windows of the Ambassador's car as it sped along kicking up thick clouds of dust that didn't just shroud the rearward view, but instead formed a wall impervious to vision.

“It's just like home,” Hayes chuckled to his aide. His observation was only sort of true. This scene was actually nothing like the desolate county roads of Lambton, but Hayes had been to, and in, Kaitaine long enough that it felt like home.

“We'll soon be there, Your Grace,” the aide absently replied, not even bothering to avert his gaze from the window.

“Damn it, man. How many times must I remind you?” Hayes detested such formality from his senior staff, especially in private. While he accepted the formality as part of the role, it was an audiological nuisance and an impediment to

“Apologies, boss. Just a force of habit.”

The drive continued. And continued. Every once in a while a couple buildings would flash by the window as white blurs, but there was nothing to see. Hayes was reading a book while his aide napped. In the front of the limousine, the two-man security detail had given up on consciousness and resorted to staring through the window with glazed over expressions.

Chapterhouse was finally in sight. It hadn't been a particularly far drive, just boring. The group had left early so some sleep had been lost, however, these naps were the not the work of sleep deprivation, but of boredom. The four men, once alerted to their location, slowly broke from their stupors.

The delegation from the Kingdom of Lambton was nearly there. Their first order of business would be to pay their respects to their host, Duke Niklaus Corrino and then board the boats for the island where Ambassador Karll Hayes would then present the compliments of Her Most Benevolent Majesty to Erin Brennan, the new Reverend Mother and provide a formal invitation to visit the Tower of Hearts for a visit with Queen Norberta.
Still looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus. Decent people. Decent map. Decent RP.
Greater Olympus is looking for more respectable democracies, contemptible tyrannies and glorious failed states of all size to join our group!

Kaitaine
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaitaine » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:19 am

Put Niklaus in a room of politicians from Kaitaine and he would shine, his quick mind able of keeping up with discussions on almost every subject. It probably came from his near photographic memory but once he'd read something it stuck almost perfectly. He simply explained it as being fortunate, however the Bene Gesserit believed it was a gift from God/Gods and as such had elevated him to their most favoured member of the Holy Houses. It was that which lead him to the situation he was now in, waiting patiently for the various Head's of State and their representatives to arrive, and that in his mind was frightening, they were an unknown variable something that he couldn't control, added to that this was the first anointing of a Reverend Mother in his adulthood and therefore he wasn't sure what to expect on that front either. Had this been happening up in his ancestral home of Seitch, the desert city he'd have felt better, but he found the coastal zones of Kaitaine to be less hospitable than the "Red City" he called home, there everyone stopped to chat with anybody, strangers were welcomed into people's home and the community did everything together, here though on the coast, at Arakeen he couldn't help but see how the people here were more insular, less of a community and it made him feel uneasy in this task.

"That's Kotonashi Kazuto Kroviun" Niklaus whispered to his wife as the first visitor arrived. He remembered the face from the pack of information the Missionara Protectiva, the Sisterhood's scholars had given him. Instantly his mind raced through the file he'd been given. "Follow what I do" he quietly spoke to Agatha who dutifully followed. As he approached Niklaus lowered his gaze and stopping a few meters away bowed deeply, Agatha copied him. "Welcome to Kaitaine Your Imperial Majesty" Niklaus addressed him. "I trust you had a pleasant journey, may I introduce my wife Duchess Agatha" she bowed once more as she was introduced. Niklaus felt he may have something in common with this man, both had been high achievers at school, the man was thought to have graduated his school before his time. Niklaus would make a point of chatting more with the man later. "I'm afraid we must wait a moment or two for the departure of the diplomatic boat" he explained hoping he wouldn't keep the monarch waiting too long.

"Nonsense Niklaus" a voice said from behind him. "His Imperial Majesty doesn't want to be hanging around with the likes of you" he teased Niklaus slapping him on the back. "My apologise" Duke Richard Harkonnen, one of the other leaders of the Four Holy Houses appeared. "Me and my family were about to cross in our own boat, you'd be more than welcome to join us" The Duke gestured to the small but comfortable looking open topped boat. "If you have any questions my daughter in law Erin was educated on the island, was a promising Priestess but the Reverned Mother married her off to my son Jonathon, bless her soul" he was now teasing his son who simply rolled his eyes in the boat. The Duke helped the Zanaro delegates into the boat which set off the short distance. As they travelled the Duke produced a bottle of Brandy, "Would your Majesty care for a drop" he asked as they crossed the mill pond like sea. "Now not to mix business with such a day but I understand you're nation has some bauxite, I run a small business making wind turbines, we're always looking for supplies of aluminium, would I be right in thinking we could perhaps get a deal going?" He realised this was probably far beneath the man's responsibilities but an introduction from him to someone in the know would probably be beneficial.

Niklaus wasn't sure if the Harkonnen's were supposed to take the Zanaro delegates away but he supposed it made sense rather than keeping an important person hanging around. "Niklaus" his wife nudged him as another figure approached.

"That's the Ithemba delegate, names Oyo Nbali" Niklaus said to himself, he'd been able to find out little about the man but knew he'd been sent representing Thomas Othega, President for Life. He wasn't quiet sure how such a proposition would work but figured he best be respectful either way. "Mr.Nbali" he extended a hand, "Duke Niklaus Corrino, welcome to Kaitiane, this is my wife Agatha" just as before Agatha copied her husband. "I hope you'll extend our respects to your President on your return, we're thankful he has sent you, it means a lot to our people to start opening up, it was the departed Reverned Mother's wishes, may she ride with Shai Halud forever." he had genuine sadness in his voice as he invoked the spirit who claimed the dead.

"You not going to introduce us" Duke Oswald Atreides asked as he approached. He wasn't a big fan of Niklaus, that was mainly due to the fact that prior to the Corrino boys raise to prominence it had been his family who had enjoyed the Bene Gesserit's favour, now he was determined to change that. "Duke Oswald, leader of the Atreides Holy House" he said formally. "Oldest of the Four" he added proudly. "Perhaps you'd like to wait with us" he made it sound more like an order and took Oyo to one side. "Niklaus is a good boy, just a little sun addled" he chuckled, "The people up in Seitch can be strange" he laughed once more. "So, how is business in Ithemba" he asked more to make conversation, realising he knew little of the nation. A small sailed boat came into view. "This is my son Vespasian" a smart suited man in his early 30's waved as he sorted ropes out, "Good sailor and he's actually designing the new library in Arakeen the Bene Gesserit have commissioned" he said proudly as they took seats and cast off using the wind unlike the other boats beginning the journey.

Finally Niklaus was feeling less nervy, groups of local minor nobles were arriving mixed in with some of the foreign diplomats. It was then that he noticed Karll Hayes, the ambassador from Kingdom of Lambton. "Ambassador" Niklaus called over and approached, the ritual greetings were once again observed. "I hope you'll thank Your Queen for her kind statement, it means a lot to the people of Kaitaine to hear outsiders speak kindly of the Reverned Mother" he spoke with sincerity. He'd meet Hayes once or twice at various functions but knew little of the man directly, Niklaus preferred to stay close to his desert and away from the coastal capital. "I'm sure the new Reverned Mother will be looking to build upon those kind thoughts" he said confidently having had a private audience with the soon to be incumbent.

"Duke" a voice from behind Hayes spoke, a smartly dressed woman in military uniform gave a salute. "Ambassador" she extended a hand, "Major Krystina Fremen" she introduced herself.

"Wife of Simon Fremen, heir to the Fremen family title" Niklaus whispered to Hayes. "She's a Truthsayer officer, very good by all accounts"

"If you'd care to join my squad, we're crossing." a small wooden boat was being loaded with a group of Truthsayers, the Bene Gesserit's military arm, each of the women were dressed identical in a green dress uniform, their black cross belts buffed to an almost mirror shine. The only thing different about each of them was the white coloured knife that hung at their hip, the Crystknife carved from bone by each of them during their training. She escorted the ambassador over and helped him take a seat in the front of the boat. "I understand you may not have meet Truthsayers before" she said sitting next to him. "We're not the mercenary types some would have you think" she smiled, "Just think of us as the Bene Gesserit's shield" the women chatted merrily away as the boat made the crossing. "So what do you make of Corrino?" she asked, inside the faith he was thought of as a pillar of greatness, however outside the borders was he someone anyone even knew she wondered, he seemed happy to spend all his time up in Seitch, something she believed he needed to change.

Zanaro
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanaro » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 am

"That's Kotonashi Kazuto Kroviun" Niklaus whispered to his wife as the first visitor arrived. He remembered the face from the pack of information the Missionara Protectiva, the Sisterhood's scholars had given him. Instantly his mind raced through the file he'd been given. "Follow what I do" he quietly spoke to Agatha who dutifully followed. As he approached Niklaus lowered his gaze and stopping a few meters away bowed deeply, Agatha copied him. "Welcome to Kaitaine Your Imperial Majesty" Niklaus addressed him. "I trust you had a pleasant journey, may I introduce my wife Duchess Agatha" she bowed once more as she was introduced. Niklaus felt he may have something in common with this man, both had been high achievers at school, the man was thought to have graduated his school before his time. Niklaus would make a point of chatting more with the man later. "I'm afraid we must wait a moment or two for the departure of the diplomatic boat" he explained hoping he wouldn't keep the monarch waiting too long.

"Nonsense Niklaus" a voice said from behind him. "His Imperial Majesty doesn't want to be hanging around with the likes of you" he teased Niklaus slapping him on the back. "My apologise" Duke Richard Harkonnen, one of the other leaders of the Four Holy Houses appeared. "Me and my family were about to cross in our own boat, you'd be more than welcome to join us" The Duke gestured to the small but comfortable looking open topped boat. "If you have any questions my daughter in law Erin was educated on the island, was a promising Priestess but the Reverned Mother married her off to my son Jonathon, bless her soul" he was now teasing his son who simply rolled his eyes in the boat. The Duke helped the Zanaro delegates into the boat which set off the short distance. As they travelled the Duke produced a bottle of Brandy, "Would your Majesty care for a drop" he asked as they crossed the mill pond like sea. "Now not to mix business with such a day but I understand you're nation has some bauxite, I run a small business making wind turbines, we're always looking for supplies of aluminium, would I be right in thinking we could perhaps get a deal going?" He realised this was probably far beneath the man's responsibilities but an introduction from him to someone in the know would probably be beneficial.

Niklaus wasn't sure if the Harkonnen's were supposed to take the Zanaro delegates away but he supposed it made sense rather than keeping an important person hanging around. "Niklaus" his wife nudged him as another figure approached.

Kotonashi Kazuto Kroviun regarded the Niklaus as he spoke, returning a slight bow, while the rest of his entourage offered deeper bows. As they returned to standing a Duke introduced himself, offering a ride on his personal boat. This was more in the style that Kazuto was used to, something he happily accepted. It would also grant him the ability to begin to make acquaintances in this new and rather warm land. Duke Harkonnen offered a drink of brandy, a beverage not common in the Koto'Ara.

"Thank you Duke Harkonnen, I would be most honored to share a drink with you." Kazuto accepted the small glass and listened as Harkonnen asked about the bauxite in Zanaro, a potential trade relation, so quickly? Perhaps the people of this nation were more direct than in his own where it could take weeks of polite dinner, and drinks, before one would ever broach the subject of business. "We do indeed have bauxite within the beautiful mountains of Zanaro. House Krell is the Great Family that oversee's the majority of our Bauxite production. In fact Lord Urikashi" Kazuto motioned to the man accompanying him, "is a loyal vassel of the Krell Family. I'm sure he would be more than willing to provide you with an introduction." Kazuto sipped on the Brandy as he finished his thought. Perhaps that small tidbit would assist in developing relations. In addition the Krell Family would likely teach the Harkonnen about Zanarite hospitality, they were well known for providing feasts and showering their guests with gifts. Lord Urikashi gave a bow to Duke Harkonnen after Kotonashi Kazuto had finished speaking.

"It is a great honor and privilege to meet and individual of your esteem and rank. I am but a humble servant to House Krell, and I act as their representative to the glorious Imperial Family of Zanaro. It would be my privilege and honor to introduce you to House Krell. I should inform you though, it is customary to refrain from discussing business until after the third meeting, and gift giving is greatly appreciated." Lord Urikashi continued to remain in a slight bow throughout his speech. It was one that Kazuto assumed was well rehearsed. It was expected that the courtiers of the Great Families would be skilled in diplomacy and in Imperial practices. their use was likely to be limited in this foreign land, but it was nice to have people who understood the ways of Zanaro traveling with him.

"Duke Harkonnen, is all of your land this hot and dry?" Asked Kazuto as the boat continued towards the island. "It is something I must admit I am not used to. My nation you see is one that is often covered in frost and snow for most of the year. This is a land that seems to have been overly blessed with the Sun and heat that my people often pray for."

Essexia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Essexia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Beacon Hill, Essexia

Hugh Mercer, Prime Minister of Essexia, sat behind a white desk. Raindrops struck the window he was facing, their thuds dulled by multiple layers of laminated glass. Despite the weather, Hugh was grateful to have any weekend he could spend at his home in Beacon Hill. He tapped his fingers on the desk, starting at the speakerphone which sat atop it. The phone rang. Prime Minister Mercer rose from his office chair. His eyes darted away from the phone, made eye contact with a young man standing in corner of the room He gave the Mercer a thumbs up, and the Prime Minister pushed a button

"It's Hugh" he said, talking into the speakerphone.
"Good afternoon, Hugh," a voice crisply enunciated over the speakerphone. The woman speaking was Calliope Martin, Essexia's Foreign Minister.

A pause. A different woman's voice was heard. Roisin Benton, the Deputy Prime Minister of Essexia said "Hey, Hugh"

"So, first, I hope y'all had a good weekend," Hugh Mercer said. "I just wanted to touch base on some foreign policy matters real quickly."

"I presume this is about the situation in Kaitaine," Calliope Martin immediately replied.

"Well, that and some other things," Hugh Mercer said. "As we all know, their Reverend Mother just passed," he continued. "And I don't want us to just send a telegram expressing condolences. Too formulaic. Sending a delegation would be an excellent way to add, the personal touch."

"Good relations with Kaitaine would be very helpful moving forward, Calliope Martin said. "They are an oil exporter, after all."

"And a theocracy. A polluting theocracy," Roisin Benton interjected

"Yes, but everyone doesn't commute to work in the morning via electric cars charged overnight at homes powered by a wind farm, just yet," Hugh Mercer replied. "So beggars can't be choosers, and - you know - it's not like I was gonna just thrust this nineteen-years-old head of state with a trade deal on day-fucking-one anyways."

"Yeah, alright, I get it," Roisin Benton said. "But I know you know what the optics will be on my side if I show up leading this goodwill tour. I've got too many backbenchers with zero goddamn interest in actually governing who incessantly searching for reasons to coalesce against me."

"Roisin, plotting's gonna be much less of a problem after I approve most of y'all's non-military budget proposals," Hugh said. "So, in the meantime, do you have any objections to Calliope heading out to make a good first impression on the new Reverend Mother?"

"None whatsoever," Roisin said.

"Then I'll get my travel arranged immediately," Calliope said.
Last edited by Essexia on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom Of Essexia
Queen Dierdre – Prime Minister Hugh Mercer
Factbook

Thrawson
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Thrawson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Perǵangard, Thrawson

The rays of the sun shined late into the day during the summers of Sodra Tropesko, they glared through King Maximus Perǵan II's windows at Llanlos palace onto the back walls of his room. Perǵan sat on a revolving leather chair and had his feet up on his desk while reading a book called Rise of an Empire. He then gazed at a portrait of his grandfather, thinking of what his dynasty has come to. Then he suddenly heard a faint footstep on the hardwood floors outside his room, Perǵan's eyes seemed to follow the sound of the footsteps right up to his door, he then heard a knock on the door. Perǵan jerked his feet of the desk and put his book down. Perǵan looked around and sighed as none of his servants were in his room to get the door. He stood up and walked to the door to open it himself.

"Ah hello Mr. Magnusson", Perǵan said to his Minister of Foreign Affairs. Magnusson had a letter in his hand as Perǵan awkwardly looked down at it.

"Hello my King, I'd like to inform you that Thrawson has received a letter from the Theocracy of Kaitiane", said Magnusson

"Ooo, I love getting letters from other countries, come take a seat and read it to me", Perǵan said.

Magnusson really did not feel like reading a letter to someone when they could read on their own. Magnusson rolled his eyes and said :"Actually, I,um, gotta take off, soooo, you can read it yourself I guess".

Perǵan looked at him in disappointment and disbelief. Magnusson proceeded to hand Perǵan the letter and quickly get out of the doorway and left Perǵan alone again. Perǵan then turned around and went back to desk were he sat down and opened the letter as the evening sunlight shined down on the paper.

To All Heads of State

Perǵan finished glancing at the letter excited that he was getting invited to another country, since Perǵan rarely has time to go on vacation, he then looked down at his phone and sighed. He picked up his phone off his oak desk and called his Prime Minister.
He waited for Prime Minister Narkowski to pick up and stared at the map of Thrawson in 1652. Narkowski eventually picked up and Perǵan told Narkowski the news in Kaitiane, Narkowski wasn't surprised as he had heard about the death of the Reverend Mother on PNN9 (Perǵangard News Network 9). Perǵan asked Narkowski to go with him to Kaitiane.

"So, will you go?" Asked Perǵan.

Narkowski sighed and said: "Sure, but we have to take a small boat there."

"What?!" Perǵan gasped. "Well can't we take the jet?"

"Yes, but we have to take the private jet to the mainland, as their is no airport there, then we take a small wooden boat to the island." Narkowski stated.

Narkowski then hung up and left Perǵan with a sigh. Perǵan turned around in the chair and gazed out the large window that looked down on the far shores of South Perǵangard. Though Perǵan didn't let the transportation method to the island ruin a free vacation and getting to meet other important people. Perǵan looked down at a picture of him, his wife, and his two kids. Perǵan then got up from his chair to get ready for the trip to Kaitiane. Perǵan walked by the door and put his ermine mantle on his coat rack.

Later, at Perǵangard International Airport

Narkowski and Perǵan walked onto the PBB (Passenger Boarding Bridge) that their plane stood next to. Once again though, it was raining in Thrawson. Perǵan and Narkowski had umbrellas as they could hear the rain drops hitting the roof of the PBB. When Perǵan got to seeing his plane, he sighed as he had to take 2 trips, but it was actually nicer than he expected. Perǵan and Narkowski stepped on the plane and set down their umbrellas in the overhead compartments. The two body guards of Perǵan also got on the plane as they told the pilot to get ready for takeoff.

An Unknown amount of time later at Arakeen International Airport

Perǵan was sleeping in the back of the plane on a mahogany bed under his blanket. Until Narkowski came by him and shook him by the arm. Perǵan eventually woke up and yawned, he rubbed his eyes at looked up at Narkowski. He told Perǵan they were at Kaitiane and Perǵan had to get ready. Perǵan had brought a toothbrush and toothpaste and brushed his teeth while one of his body guards combing Perǵan's black hair. After that Perǵan put on his clothes and ermine mantle, then he and Narkowski stepped out of the plane. Perǵan had a black dress shirt with traditional Thrawsonian royal pants, then he had his red ermine mantle over that and a necklace with a golden Thrawsonian coat of arms on the end. Then they stepped out of the plane to head to the inside of the airport.
Last edited by Thrawson on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Saint Fedski
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Fedski » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:11 am

The scraggly ambassador stood in awe; gaping at his surroundings and the spectacle that lay before him on the quayside in Arakeen. Not that Hayes was an expert on the culture of Kaitaine and Bene Gesserit, but he had enough familiarity to know better than to even think that the Bene Gesserit would forgo tradition for diplomatic courtesy, never mind basic pomp and circumstance.

Diplomatic courtesy is not just expected for international gatherings, but is considered the barest minimum - the lowest standard - in formality and is usually reserved for informal meetings of minor importance or those hastily arranged. Yet here, at this place, at this time, to mark the passing of an iconic world leader and the ascension of a young, totally unknown surprise candidate to succeed the helm of Kaitaine where many an international dignitary would be gathering from across the globe, the scene before the ambassador was far from conventional. There was no pomp and circumstance to be seen beyond the impossibly impeccably immaculate dress of the rigidly disciplined Truthsayers which, to Hayes, it seemed as though the already uptight military branch of the Bene Gesserit, had taken their drilling to yet another level of perfection in honour of the occasion

Though lacking in pomp and circumstance, the scene was clearly the familiar organized chaos that occasions of such momentous magnitude managed to magnify. Delegations were being met with none of the glitz and glamour expected under similar circumstances anywhere else in the world, but Hayes had been in Kaitaine long enough to not be surprised. It was thus that he chuckled; a member of some unknown delegation - Essexian if he had to guess - totally uninitiated in the formalities of the Kaitainites and Bene Gesserit, whose apprehension had betrayed him, was clearly taken aback by the traditional arrangements of the quayside reception.

"Ambassador," the aide whispered to Hayes. "You're being beckoned. Duke Corrino if I'm not mistaken?"

"Ah! You are correct indeed," replied Hayes. It was difficult to see for the shadows and the crowd on the quayside, but as Duke Niklaus Corrino approached the delegation from Lambton, the ambassador was able to distinguish the familiar face.

"How good it is to see you again, Duke Corrino!" the Lambton ambassador beamed when Niklaus was able to make his way near enough. The two men had met previously on a number of occasions, but circumstances had dictated that their conversations were always to be cut short by random interruption so it had Corrino's wife, Agatha, with whom Hayes had become more familiar.

"I trust you and your lovely wife are well? If I shall not see her, please pass on my most sincere regards," he added with a gentle smile. "Her Most Benevolent Majesty deeply regrets that she cannot make it here. I personally spoke with her earlier and she asked me to convey her personal respects to the right person or people, but I'm not entirely sure to whom I must be introduced. Perhaps I could be so honoured to have you make the appropriate introductions after the ceremony?"

Unfortunately, as is an occurrence all too common for the two men, Duke Niklaus had his attention drawn elsewhere before he could respond - if he had even heard the question. An unseen female voice had called out to the Duke, drawing his attention from the Lambtonite -Ambassador. The voice wasn't particularly loud or forceful, relative to the bustle at the quayside, but it seemed to command attention and respect. Given the way Niklaus' ears perked and the ease with which his attention drawn, Hayes would wager the mystery speaker was someone of note so perhaps it was the personality to whom the voice belonged rather than the voice itself.

Over Niklaus' shoulder, a smartly dressed military officer was approaching. The woman had a presence to her that Hayes couldn't describe. Confidence and authority seemed to radiate as she approached the men. Though he had met many of Kaitaine's highest officials, this face he could not place; then again he didn't have much occasion to liaise with those in uniform. As if reading the questioning look on Hayes' face, Niklaus quickly whispered a brief introduction.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Major Fremen," Hayes responded reciprocating the Major's salute with a polite bow before grasping her hand. "I would be honoured to accompany you across the way."

"And Duke Niklaus..." Hayes turned to finish his conversation with Niklaus only to find he had disappeared to greet another guest. "Ah well."

Hayes followed Fremen to the boat - which was to ferry him across to Chapterhouse Island - where they joined her squad. The boat was a long slender vessel of narrow construction, likely with a shallow draft in order to navigate during low tides or along rivers or simply to avoid rocky shoals that may be hidden beneath the surface. To the ambassador's untrained eye, the vessel upon which he was about embark, evoked images of sailing into battle on an ancient galley save for the small enclosed cabin - nobody wants battle during inclement weather.

Despite the incredibly hot weather, the ambassador from Lambton chose to be dressed in his best suit, which of course, just had to be a black of the darkest ink. He regretted that decision. On the exposed bow of the vessel where he had found a decent place to take in the new surroundings, he was sweltering. Fortunately he had had the presence of mind to bring a small cloth for the journey with which he could wipe the sweat from his brow. As he restored the damp cloth to his pocket, Major Fremen returned.

“My dear Major, it is an honour to finally meet the Truthsayers in an official capacity,” Hayes declared, though his wasn't entirely convincing. “I have, of course met officials before, but only in passing. The Defence Attache or the Embassy's head of security are usually the ones in more frequent contact. I can't say, as a non-military man myself, that I'm cut out for the lifestyle, though I do greatly respect those who volunteer to serve and most especially those who are capable of making a career in the service.

“In Lambton, the Queen's Lieutenants [fancy title for commissioned officer] are – should we say... rigid? Discipline and formality is strictly adhered to, much like your Truthsayers on the quayside, but even in informal, social situations. I regret to admit most are not much for conversation, let alone small talk, thus I tend to limit my involvement with the services to matters of policy and diplomacy with people such as your Duke Corrino or, as is most often the case, Duchess Agatha.

“In my estimation, she doesn't get quite enough credit for her work. The Duke and I have met often, but opportunities for proper conversation have been hard to come by as you witnessed today so instead I'm more often in conversation with the Duchess.”

Karll Hayes paused for a moment; sweat had been beading on his forehead and began to trickle.

“I do sympathize with Duke Niklaus. In fact, I envy him. But for my former role as Prime Minister, I could have returned to my hometown of Ominion Junction where I would be greatly involved in the community and its affairs as Niklaus is in Seitch – which is a lovely town by the way. It is a shame I've never been fortunate to enjoy a harvest festival. I was in attendance at the most recent thanks to an invitation from Niklaus, but most untimely Her Most Benevolent Majesty desired my services elsewhere in the world so I quite literally had to jet... and with nothing but the clothes on my back. I do hope that next time around I can be privy to such an extraordinary event.”

Hayes deeply regretted wearing this suit. It was quite comfortable in the air conditioned car and in the air conditioned office and the shade conditioned by a light breeze, but in the exposed bow of the boat it was stifling. His discomfort was growing quickly. The ambassador stood, likely to the amusement of his company, to adjust his attire.

“Perhaps Major, you can have one of your aides return on the next trip with a suit more fitting for the weather from my assistant? I can have him meet her on the quayside.

Hayes was clearly flushed. Through the tall man's scraggly, coarse beard his face was turning red, whether from embarrassment or heat he wasn't sure though it was likely a combination of both. To make matters much worse, as he stood near the railing on the bow attempting to make himself a little more comfortable, the boat swayed heavily with a rogue wave, causing the ungainly office-lubber to lose his balance. He stumbled as he tried to maintain his footing, but his efforts were in vain. As if doing a jig on the dance floor he stumble stepped into Major Fremen - who had stood as well – also knocking her off balance and with his legs akimbo, the already hot and bothered ambassador hit the water with a splash.
Still looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus. Decent people. Decent map. Decent RP.
Greater Olympus is looking for more respectable democracies, contemptible tyrannies and glorious failed states of all size to join our group!

Grimnes
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Grimnes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:03 pm

The Avatar of Rattusk reread the letter as the wooden long ship was loaded under the seaplanes wing. An aid approached.

"The ship is nearly loaded for your voyage to Chapterhouse, your Eminence"

Smiling beneath her mask of office,"Close, the voyage is to a quay in Kaitaine, not directly to Chapterhouse"

The aid, unsure of the avatar's mood due to mask, meekly asked, "but the vessel.."

Cutting off the question, "Their custom requires specific ships to make the last leg, it would be wrong to show up directly by or own vessel. We take the long ship to their quay by our custom, then defer to their custom for remainder of journey."

Further speech was rendered impossible by the engines of the transport aircraft starting. The ceremonial head of state began to slowly walk to the boarding ramp. The aid followed respectfully behind still unable to judge the Avatars mood. The black sclera contacts making it impossible to even tell where The Avatar is looking. She assumed they were contacts, tradition insisted the eyes changed when title was accepted, but that couldn't be literal.

Nearly a day later the seaplane skimmed over the waves off the coast of Kaitaine. Once stopped the boat was lowered from beneath the right wing and the delegation loaded onto the traditional vessel. Raising the bleached sails to show peaceful intent they began the short voyage to the quay as as aides tried to radio their arrival to shore.
Last edited by Grimnes on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ithemba
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ithemba » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:55 pm

As Oyo disembarked the private jet the heat hit him like a brick wall. The dry air sucked the moisture from his skin as he gasped for air. He had never felt anything like it before, it was as if the land itself rejected his very presence.

For a nation, at the same latitude as his own, the differences between them were already striking. The airport was packed with pilgrims and faithful returning to witness the coronation. A country controlled by god what a thought indeed! If Othega knew this was possible he would probably found a religion. Oyo shuttered at the thought of even more unquestioned loyalty to Othega by the masses. As the thought left his mind he realized for the first time in 4 years he was outside watchful gaze. As he walked forward he stood tall. Oyo was 6' 6" yet one would be hard pressed to notice in the presence of Othega. Despite his size Oyo had become a master of not sticking out. However, in this foreign land that was impossible as he walked through the crowded airport he heard conversations drop as people stared at the sight in front of them. As he emerged he saw an Ithemban man waiting patiently by a diplomatic car.

“Masio?” Looking up and down at the man in front of him. He wore an expensive tailored suit and a Lambtonite Watch. Most likely the son of a police chief in Brekkaville He thought to himself.

The driver simply nodded as he opened the door.

Nqwenela Ubhuti, I must stop at the embassy before we continue to the docks.

As the evening sun began to set the select few allowed to travel to the Chapterhouse were gathering by the quayside. Oyo stepped out of the car dressed in Zantu ceremonial clothing. His nappy hair stained orange by clay and a ceremonial spear and shield.

A man commanding authority approached introducing himself as Duke Niklaus Corrino. The rank meant nothing to Oyo but he knew better than drop any formality when dealing with diplomatic situations. A gregarious man approached from the crowd dominating the conversation quickly overwhelming Corrino’s control of the situation. His presence reminded him of Othega’s in a way vain and commanding in nature. He relaxed slightly Oyo was well versed in handling such people it was his conversation with Corrino that had left him on edge. Duke Corrino was far more dangerous in Oyo’s opinion; he was not easy to read which was always a bad sign. Whereas volatile personalities like Othega were feared by many, it was those that could hide themselves better than Oyo who frightened him.

With their brief interaction behind Oyo turned his focus on the man in front of him. The first step in handling these people was to boost their ego.

"I must thank you for the offer. To be given the honor of riding with such nobility such as yourself is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity."

Making sure to match his tone, Oyo followed the conversation laughing with the man. As the conversation evolved from introduction Oyo matched pace. When they reached the topic of Ithemban Business Oyo gave an actual response.

"We have a saying in the north where I am from "Oko Undit Ubo Gazi Kuya kubakho urhwebo" It roughly translates "to as long as the Ubo Gazi flows so will the trade."

As Oyo chuckled at his play on words he realized he was surrounded by blank stares. Realizing the culture significance didn't transfer he cleared his throat and continued to explain.

"This is a bit more difficult to explain than I thought, you see Ubo is literally the major river in Ithemba connecting the Gazi lakes but its meaning is much deeper. For many in the north, it is about the passage of time, the essence of the world, and your lifetime within it. You are both constantly moving, like the Ubo, and yet seemingly unchanging like the Gazi. It is only when you look behind that you realize how far you have traveled. Pardon my lecture it seems I must work on my conversational skills. Many of my phrases are quite local but I'm told your people are quite spiritual as well."

There was at least a vague understanding within his hosts eyes but it was clear that was the best he could achieve. Recovering from the fumble he turned to the skipper of the small boat who had just arrived.

"The trade winds must be quite a sight during the winter months. I too am a sailor although on a humble river compared to this gulf."

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Kathara
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 26, 2014
Anarchy

Postby Kathara » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Chlemoutsi Palace
Volos, Kathara

Silence, darkness, nothing. That’s all Spyridion ever saw when he was asleep. It was extremely rare for him to dream, and when he did it was uncommon for him to remember what he dreamt. He could recall nothing other than the knowledge that he had, in fact, had a dream. His state of restless sleep that he was currently in was no different than normal. There was nothing. Not that it mattered much.

He had not fallen asleep until late the prior night, being kept up by a nagging pain in his right shoulder. He had tried a number of sleep positions, none of which caused the pain to subside. He tried stretching, that did not help either. Around midnight he made a call to the palace physician who kindly supplied him with pain killers. They did not kick in until about an hour later, but once they had sleep quickly overcame him. It was his hope that he would be able to sleep in and make up for the lost hours of rest from the previous night, but he was not in luck.

A knock at the door jolted him out of his light sleep. Dazed and slightly confused due to his grogginess, he sighed a light, “Come in.”

“The Imperatrix wishes to see you, your Highness,” came a voice from the now opened doorway.

Without turning to look at the speaker he knew who it was. It was a voice he had heard almost every day since his birth. His Fýlakas, Chrysanthi. “I’ll be out in a minute,” came his reply.

Taking his eyes off of the marble ceiling tiles, he pushed himself up in bed and looked around his brightly lit room. Beams of sunlight were shining in from three windows at the far side of his room, casting shadows across the floor in some areas. His bed was a mess. The thin sheet that he had covered up with the night before when he finally settled in was strewn across the floor to his left, thrown off sometime during the night. Purposefully or not, he could not remember. The alarm clock beside his bed read 7:53 in dark red numbers – a time much earlier than he had hoped to see.

He plopped his head back down onto his pillow and ran his hands across his face. He was not in the mood to get up, but when the Imperatrix asked for your presence you had no option other than to show up. He slid out of bed feet first and slowly stood up. Currently only wearing a pair of light gray sweatpants, he scanned the room for a shirt he could put on. His eyes came to rest on a plain white t-shirt that he had stripped off the night before. Stumbling a few feet to where it lay on the floor, he reached down to pick it up. He hadn’t worn it long yesterday evening, and it smelled clean, so he slipped it over his bare torso. Still rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he made his way to his dresser where he pulled out a clean pair of white socks. He hopped across the floor on one foot as he tried putting the socks on while making his way to his bedroom door. Surprisingly, he succeeded.

The thick oak door swung open silently on its hinges as he turned the door knob and pushed his way through the doorway. On the other side of the door sat his sitting room, also brightly lit from the sunlight coming in through the windows. White sofas and chairs were arranged throughout the room, several small tables and a coffee table also placed in certain positions. The television mounted to the wall was dark.

Standing to his right, near the hallway that led to the exit from his chambers, stood Chrysanthi. She looked him over, likely disapproving of his dress, but remained silent. “I’m ready,” Spyridion yawned.

Chrysanthi nodded and turned a one-eighty. She made her way down the short hallway to the door, Spyridion in tow, and slowly opened it. She slid half of her body out of the partially opened door and examined the palace hallway. After being satisfied that there was no existing threat waiting outside of his chambers, she opened the door the rest of the way and exited, Spyridion doing the same. Waiting for the duo outside of his door were two of his other bodyguards who had been diligently standing guard. Paying little attention to either of them, he began his trek towards the Imperatrix’s study, where she would undoubtedly be at this time of the morning. One of his bodyguards moved ahead of him, one took up the rear, and Chrysanthi fell into step beside him.

To many, the tradition of assigning protectors at birth would seem bizarre, but in Kathara it was the norm for someone in his position. Any child birthed by the monarch would be assigned a Fýlakas, often picked by the mother, who would then swear their life to protecting their protectee. Afterwards, the Fýlakas would select additional bodyguards who were adequately trained and trustworthy, who would in turn also swear their lives to protecting their protectee. They were treated as a security detail like any important person would have, just ones that swore their lives to do their duty. When Spyridion was born, his mother had chosen Chrysanthi as his Fýlakas. She had been only twenty at the time, but it was a point to choose those who were somewhat young to protect newborns. That way, the child would grow up with the same lead bodyguard and a bond would be formed. Spyridion was nineteen now, Chrysanthi thirty-nine, and both of them had the utmost trust in one another. The rest of Spyridions protection team was an assortment of younger and older guards, some who had been with him since birth and some who had not. He currently had ten, including Chrysanthi, who took rotating shifts for guard duty.

“Do you know what this is about?” Spyridion’s question broke the silence that had been hanging over the group since leaving his quarters. It was uncommon for the Imperatrix to call on him so early, and the more he thought about it the less certain of what she may have wanted he became.

“I do not, Your Highness,” Chrysanthi replied, continuing to observe the group’s surroundings. “I was only informed that she wished to see you, not why.”

Spyridion nodded, deciding not to push her further. If she said she didn’t know why, he believed her.

The group continued in silence for the rest of the way to the Imperatrix’s study. It only took five minutes to get from his rooms to their destination, but to Spyridion it felt like much longer. At watch outside of the Imperatrix’s study were two of her bodyguards standing at parade rest. “His Royal Highness, Spyridion Thanasis Vasiliou, to see the Her Majesty the Imperatrix,” Chrysanthi said to neither guard in particular. The two exchanged glances before one finally moved to open the door.

“You two wait out here,” Spyridion directed at the two bodyguards who had been standing outside of his door earlier. He knew both of them, Dimitris and Anastasia, both of which were close to Chrysanthi in age. The pair nodded in acknowledgement of his order. Chrysanthi, on the other hand, he allowed to come in. As he went through the doorway, she lingered behind for a short time, turning over her weapons to the Imperatrix’s guards at the door. It was custom for bodyguards to go unarmed into the chambers of those who had their own guards, but there were exceptions.

The study was nowhere near as lit as his rooms were when he had woken up. Curtains were drawn over the windows, the only light coming from a lamp on the Imperatrix’s desk and another from a lamp on a small table in the far left corner of the room. As the two entered, the Imperatrix looked up from what she had been reading. Her gaze drifted over Spyridion, no doubt taking into account his clothing. Had it been anyone else, the Imperatrix would have most likely been insulted and outraged, but she came to expect this from him. “Spyridion,” she said in a none-too-pleased tone, “I’m glad you came.”

“I didn’t have much of a choice did I, mother?” he asked, moving to take a seat in one of the leather chairs positioned in front of the desk.

Instead of answering the obviously rhetorical question, the Imperatrix continued with her business. “The Reverend Mother has died,” she said.

Spyridion waited for more, but his mother remained silent. “Is that supposed to mean something to me?” he asked. His slightly agitated tone would have earned most others a proper scolding and dismissal, but not him.

The Imperatrix let out a sigh and picked up the paper lying in front of her on the desk. “Did they teach you nothing in school, boy? What about university? Are you not taking any history or international relations classes?” A response never came from her son, so she continued. “The Reverend Mother is the leader of Kaitaine and the head of their religion. She has passed, and they have invited representatives to attend the initiation of their next Reverend Mother.”

The Imperatrix flung that letter she had been holding towards her son, who caught it out of the air and read over it. “A shame, truly,” he said as he read over the letter. When he finished, he put the letter back on his mother’s desk. “Why are you telling me this now?”

“Someone must go to the initiation,” she informed him.

It seemed like his mother was trying to stare holes into him as he sat across from her. “Ok.. That is fine. I assume you will be sending out the ambassador?” he asked hopefully. He had an idea of where this conversation may be going, and he wasn’t going to be happy if it went there.

“Wrong,” the Imperatrix scolded. “You will be going.”

Just as I expected…, he thought to himself. “Why me?” he questioned. “I am not the heir, I’m not even second in line.” He may have been the oldest of the Imperatrix’s children by a few minutes, but with female-preference primogeniture he was last on the list when it came to succession amongst his siblings. He had three sisters; there was almost no chance of him being the next monarch. “We don’t even follow their religion,” he pointed out in one final attempt to dissuade his mother from sending him.

“I’m aware, my son, but this is irrelevant. We may not follow their religion, but this...” she paused to look at the letter again. “Erin Brennan… will be the next leader of Kaitaine. It would be an insult not to send a representative.”

It went unspoken between the two that it was almost an insult to send Spyridion. Females held almost all of the power when it came to the nobility in Kathara. Sending a male noble could very well be seen as an insult to those well versed in Katharan culture. He knew that there would be no getting out of this assignment, though. His mother wasn’t the kind of woman to let her children change her mind. “Fine,” he stated. “Can I go back to bed now?”

“Yes. Get your rest. You leave early tomorrow morning.” His mother seemed to be enjoying herself now. She was attempting to keep a smile from spreading across her face, but the corners of her mouth were slowly turning upward. It was amusing to her to do these types of things to her son. It was her way of getting back at him for the way he treated her.

Spyridion stood and strode back to the door, exchanging a look with Chrysanthi. He found it hard to believe that she hadn’t known about this. She would be the one to develop the security plan for the trip, and he knew his mother would have been courteous enough to give her and the others planning it more than a day to do so. That was a discussion for another time, though. He had a bed to get back to.

Arakeen, Kaitaine

“I can’t believe she made me come to this Gods forsaken desert.”

Spyridion took a sip of ice water that had been poured for him upon landing at the airport in Arakeen. The air-conditioned jet that he sat in was a luxury that he was grateful for. The heat outside was something that he was not used to. Kaitaine resided near the equator while Kathara was much further north. There were times through the summer that the country would experience heat like Kaitaine’s, but it was rare, and when it did occur he made sure to not stray outside of the palace. “Is the ambassador here yet?”

Despite his mother’s insinuation that she would not be sending the Katharan ambassador to Kaitaine to the initiation, it turned out that she was indeed sending her. There was no doubt in his mind that she was to act as a babysitter to him. His mother obviously didn’t trust him to make good impressions, which begged the question: why send him at all? He had no interest in Kaitaine, and he especially had no interest in their religion. He didn’t even have much of an interest in his own religion. Perhaps it was just to spite him.

“She will be arriving momentarily, Your Highness,” Chrysanthi, who was sitting across from him, assured. She had been peering out the window to her left for some time now, undoubtedly observing the airport workers who moved around the jet working to prepare for the occupants disembarkment.

“If she does not arrive soon I will take it to mean she isn’t coming. We can just go ourselves.” He took another sip of his water. “I still can’t believe that my mother thought I needed a chaperon.”

“The Imperatrix is wise beyond her years,” Chrysanthi joked without cracking a smile.

Spyridion glared at her, but decided to not respond. He knew she meant well, but it was hard for him to see it sometime.

“Here she comes,” Chrysanthi said, motioning at the approaching number of cars outside. “Time to go.”

Spyridion rose from his seat, setting his still half-full glass of water aside. He stretched before putting his black suit jacket on. He knew that it was far too hot to be wearing a suit, but he couldn’t very well show up at the event underdressed. He would never hear the end of it from his mother, and the press back home would run with it for days. By the time he made it to Chapterhouse Island his clothes would be sticking to him, he was sure of it.

By the time the jet door had opened and the stairs had been lowered the small motorcade of cars the ambassador had brought had come to a stop a short distance away. Several members of Spyridion’s protective detail exited the jet first, allowing him to follow a minute later. Striding down the jet stairs, the heat hit him like a ton of bricks. The ambassador stood at the bottom of the stairs and held out her hand when he reached her.

“Your Highness, it is a pleasure to welcome you to Kaitaine,” she chimed, seemingly unaffected by the heat.

Thank you, ambassador. It is a…” he paused, thinking of the right word. Opting to not be offensive, he chose the more diplomatic route. “…pleasure to be here.” He shook her hand quickly, shocked by how cool it felt.

“It’s not for everyone,” she conceded. “Shall we go?” she asked, turning back towards the waiting cars.

“Yes, anything to get out of this heat.” It was even worse than Spyridion had though it would be.

As the ambassador led the way back to the cars, he looked her over. She was an elderly woman. Shorter than he was, but not by much. Her white curls shined as the sun cast down on them in stark contrast to her tanned skin. She was dressed similarly, wearing a white woman’s suit that seemed a tad bit big. He silently cursed himself for not thinking of wearing white. This wasn’t a funeral they were going to, there was no reason he had to wear black.

When the group made it to the car the ambassador had arrived in, she motioned for Spyridion to slide into the seat she had been in not long ago as a sign of respect, opting to go around to the other side of the car to get in. Chrysanthi slid into the front passenger seat of the same car. It didn’t take long, then, for the rest of Spyridion’s entourage to make their way into their assigned cars as well, allowing them to begin their journey from the airport to the seaport where they would board their ship to Chapterhouse Island.
Last edited by Kathara on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaitaine
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaitaine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:57 pm

To Zanaro

"Well I would appreciate any help you can provide" Duke Harkonnen replied with a smile, it was good to a least planted the seed of some kind of trade agreement, perhaps this child who would inherit the title Reverend Mother would appreciate his move to promote trade, this could perhaps be his way to get above the Corrino's in the Sisterhoods good books. "Thank you for the cultural advice" he added making a mental note to observe that if and when any meet took place. "What you find is the interior is insanely warm, sandworms and Coriino's, that's about all you'll find there, the Corrino boys do seem to cope better than anyone else, but the coast gets its fair share of the heat too. I suppose we just get used to it." Truth be told the Duke had only ever once seen snow once in his life, he'd actually rather enjoyed it, he'd been a eight year old boy then and had built a snowman, he remembered it well but his own children had been denied that simple pleasure. He'd once told his son Bryce about it and a few days later found him trying to make one out of sand it hadn't quiet worked out the way he'd hoped.

The crossing was nearly over as he finished explaining about Bryce and the Sandman. Ahead on the shoreline was a woman dressed in black, a silver circlet on her head , she had no hair as her head was completly shaven, it radiated a shine in the sunlight, the glint unsure whether it came from the circlet or the bald head. The boat gently nudged its was to the Chapterhouse quayside. As the crew prepared steps to help the guests out Richard Harkonnen explained to his guest. "My I offer some cultural advice" he whispered, "The Bene Gesserit faith started in the deep desert, as such many of the customs go back to that time, just copy me" he waited for the others to get off the boat before making his own way. "Mother Sarah" he said warmly as he approached her, rather shockingly to those assembled the Bene Gesserit Priestess spat at the Duke's feet before doing the same to Kotonashi Kazuto Kroviun.

"I bid you both welcome and give my water in hopes of your good fortune" she said with a board smile.

"Spit" Richard whispered and did so at the feet of the woman, she looked pleased. "May you never thirst" he replied before she hugged him and then extended a hand to her visitor.

"Please follow me" she placed her hands inside each sleeve and seemingly floated away up the path towards the stone built high wall where several others were already passing through a gatehouse.

To Saint Fedski

Krystina Fremen listened to the ambassador carefully, she waited for him to finish before responding, "Personally I don't see us Truthsayers as a military in the traditional sense, in our mind its not a career, its a calling. God/Gods have blessed us with the skills necessary to protect our faith therefore its our privilege to stand on guard for the rest of the Sisterhood while they do....well whatever it is they need to do" she smiled, "You find most of us not in this attire day in day out, many of the women under my command spend their time providing security at the Holy Houses or at sacred sites across the country. It's not really that glamorous" At mention of admiration for the Corrino's she did her best to not react, after all to do so would have shown her disdain for the family, why were they favoured when they were the final of four holy houses, much younger than the Fremen who she was now part of. "Niklaus is held in high regard by the Sisterhood in deed" was all she would say. Many of her younger Truthsayers admired the Duke greatly, maybe a combination of his good looks and the standing he enjoyed but at times it annoyed her.

She was contemplating this when she was nudged, it was only a miracle that she didn't fall over the rail herself but she heard the "splash" as the ambassador hit the water. "Man overboard" she yelled and instantly the ships crew flung a bright orange life buoy into the water, the ship turned sharply to ensure they kept sight of the VIP, this was all they needed on their special day. "You got him?" she asked a young Truthsayer Legionnaire who was stood against the rail.

"Yes Ma'am" she pointed, her out reaching arm moving to keep pointing at the soggy ambassador as they made another turn. Soon they had set themselves on a course to come alongside the bobbing Hayes. The Legionnaires out stretched arm remained steady as two more leaned on their bellies through the rail and grabbed him as they came alongside, a third grabbed the rope that the buoy had attached to it and between them they man handled the man onto deck. "You ok Ambassador" a Truthsayer Corporal asked as she draped a blanket around the man as the boat resumed its course.

By the time they'd reached the shore a troop of around ten Truthsayers had arrived, as the ambassador was helped off the ship they formed a kind of moving screen around him, not allowing the public a clear view of the now very wet man, an attempt to try and save some embrassment. He was taken directly into the gatehouse which as well as being a lovely entry portal to the Chapterhouse site was also a guardroom. A woman dressed in red instantly began fussing as the group entered. "I'll leave you with Jasmin for a moment or two" Krystina said, "She's one of the Honored Matres, consider them the carers of the Sisterhood."

"We're a bit more than that" Jasmin brushed a loose strand of hair from her face to behind her ear. "They may not be perfect" she began laying out trousers after trousers, "Some of the nobles leave spare clothing here for if they are kept here on business, hopefully some fit" she handed the man a towel. "I shall be outside if you need anything" she gave a small bow and headed out stopping at the door, "There is warm blackcurrent juice in the flask" she pointed, "Its a favourite of the girls who get soaked while practicing kayaking" she explained. It wasn't uncommon for one of the girls to capsize when they went kayaking in the bay as an extra curricular activity between lectures, studying and worship, and when they came back Jasmin was responsible for checking them out, the hot juice always went down a treat.

She stood outside until the Ambassador was ready and then escorted him back to the front of the Gatehouse.

To Thrawson

Jamie Atreides was returning from a trip abroad, he was slightly annoyed that his brief break from work had been interrupted but he knew he would be expected to be here. "Well tell Dad I'm on my way.......Yes I've shaved" he shook his head as he hurried through the airport. He supposed one advantage of being an Atreides was everyone recognised him and he was simply waved through most of the formalities. As he moved he spotted members of the police escorting a man he vaguely recognised, he moved closer and the penny dropped, King Maximus Perǵan. "Officers" he announced his prescence as he got close. "Your Majesty" he gave a small bow, "Jamie Atreides, son of Duke Oswald of the Holy House Atreides" he said rather more formally than he was used to. "May I welcome you to Kaitaine, I assume you're going to the ceremony?" he realised it was a stupid question, why else would a foreign King be here. "If you'd permit me to accompany you" he fell into step as they moved away. "I know my father will be very excited to meet you, he's called for us to broaden our foreign relations for a long time now" he explained as they first boarded a waiting car which was escorted through traffic onto the coast road. Tiny white houses clung to the steep hillside between the peaks and the beach. As they rounded a headland a small island could be seen a stone throw off the coast, no more than a few miles. On the mound that made up the island sat an imposing grey high walled building.

"Chapterhouse" Jamie explained, "It's an island, a school, a religious centre and a government HQ all rolled into one convenient package. Myth has it that many many many, you get the idea, years ago a great tragedy befell humanity, during this time we lost our connection and knowledge of God/Gods, with the exception of one piece of information. That piece of information was the Chapterhouse Stone, it told that one day a tragedy would again come to us, and that when it did we would have needed to rebuild our relationship with God/Gods, and that even that would not be enough. It told that if the Holiest men and women came together we could create a supreme being, the Kwizach Hadrach, capable of defeating any evil. As such the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood have sought to seek out the truth about God/Gods and that island has been the centre of their efforts." he hoped he'd made sense, he wasn't sure he believed it all himself but he kind of had to act as though he did. Soon they had boarded a boat and made the crossing. Jamie was keen to learn about the King's homeland and had been asking questions ever since getting on the boat. What faith did they have? How did their nation run? What industry did they have? it was as though he was soaking up any scrap of knowledge the King was willing to share. They soon reached the Gatehouse where others were gathering.

To Grimnes

To bring your own boat was certainly something that Duke Niklaus hadn't really thought of. He had to smile, it was an interesting thing to see, he would need to make a point of having a closer look at some point. " Avatar" Niklaus bowed a formal greeting as the man arrived, "I must say rather a very impressive piece of engineering" Niklaus nodded at the ship. "Normally people take one of our ships over, but I'd greatly like to see it sailing later if possible." He introduced his wife Duchess Agatha. "If you care to follow my wife over, she'll take good care of you."

"This way" the Dukes wife gestured and walked beside him down towards a small red ship, it had a golden symbol of the Bene Gesserit faith painted on its prow, "My husband at times is like an excitable child around things that either look like interesting engineering or historical. I'm hoping his nerdiness doesn't rub off on our children" she smiled, she often teased her husband about this but it was true that she was totally and utterly devoted to him. "Could you perhaps tell me a little about the longboat?" she asked, "That way I can appear to know more than Niklaus, at least this once" she sat on a seat along the wall of the ship motioning for the Avatar to do likewise.

Soon the ship hit the dockside and Truthsayers efficiently and quickly tied the boat up and helped them up onto dry land once more. "I do love this island" Agatha said, it had been five years since she'd been here but something always made her feel like this was home, after all she had spent 14 years here as a student hoping to one day become a Mother in the Sisterhood, little had she then known that the now deceased Reverend Mother had always planned on her being a bride to a Corinno. It was something that to her now was more magical than becoming even the Revrned Mother but as a 18 year old being told 14 years of hard work was being sidetracked it had been a sad day. Since then she'd been back on official business once or twice, but hadn't really had need to now for a few years. Without thinking she kissed her finger tips and then touched the grass next to the path. They reached the gatehouse and joined the others, as she turned back she could see the last few boats coming. Several women wearing red uniforms appeared offering those waiting drinks.

To Ithemba

Duke Oswald Atreides listened to the cultural explanation. "It's not a million miles away from some of our sayings" he began, "You see most of ours are about the importance of water, or the idea of sand. Trust me when we get to Chapterhouse you may see some customs your nation may say are strange, hell even I do" he chuckled, "People will act like you should know what you're doing, either copy what they do or just make it up as you go along, the nice thing about the Bene Gesserit faith is it accepts change, it accepts mistakes, after all mistakes are part of learning and these ladies love to learn" he gestured at the crowd at the quayside. "You see the Sisterhood has four unique roles, those in black, they're the Mothers, I suppose you'd call them the Priestesses" he watched as the Black clad bald headed mothers greeted each guest by spitting at their feet. "Spitting is something you'd never do in a desert, it wastes water" he explained, "So by willingly giving it up so the guest doesn't walk on dry ground is considered an honour". He scanned the dockside and spotted a group in blue tunics, "They are the Missionara Protectiva, an order dedicated to preserving the history and teachings of the Sisterhood, some call them human computers, put it this way, if they walk into a pub quiz you're entering you'd be better off leaving there and then." He watched as they each jotted down notes and then hurried up the hill, clearly compiling lists of the arrivals for some article. "There" he pointed to the military uniform wearing group with shouldered rifles. "The Truthsayer, the guardians of the Sisterhood in physical form, think of them as Holy Warriors" the escorts waited for a group of arrivals to gather and then marched beside them up the hill to the Gatehouse. "Finally we have those in red" a small handful of red uniformed were dotted throughout the group, they were smallest in number, "They are the Honored Matres, they serve two duties, those considered to have the most perfect genetics are paired with nobles, including the Four Holy Houses, the idea to help bring about the creation of potential Kwizach Hadrach's" He wondered if the man was aware of that aspect of the faith but figured he'd just continue, "The second role is to act as carers for the girls training at the island" the boat kissed the wooden dockside and the Duke waited for his guests to exit. Four Truthsayers fell in around the party and marched with them up the hill.

To Kathara
Duke Niklaus had seen a flood of guests turn now into a slow trickle. He'd been told by the airport one more VIP was on there way and so he waited patiently for Prince Spyridion's car to pull up. As it did his near photographic memory enabled him to recognise the man and he opened the car door and stood back. "Your Highness" he bowed, "Welcome to Kaitaine" he looked at his watch, he was due on the island in a few minutes, and while he had plenty of time his nervousness about being late for anything kicked in. "If you'd follow me we'll get underway" he walked at a pace many would have considered extremely quick and literally jumped down into the ship. "If you care to take a seat" he motioned to the soft cushioned side seats that lined the wall of the ship. No sooner had Spyridion took a seat the boat set off. "I trust you'll convey our nations regards to your mother" he said nervously trying to start a conversation. He was wondering where else to take the conversation when a shout to look to his left grabbed his attention. "Oh, Dolphins" he pointed towards them where they followed the boat cresting the surface as they splashed along. "It's considered good luck to see them on a crossing." he explained, "No idea why" he sat contemplating for a moment, "They don't get any mention in Bene Gesserit scholarship" he was talking more to himself than anyone, "maybe its because their considered intelligent....or protective, I hear they guard stricken sailors against sharks, do you think that's true?" he turned red wondering if Spyridion would take that as a serious question.

Niklaus was relieved as the ship reached the far shore and they could get off. Four Truthsayers appeared, "Your Higness, Duke" the officer, a tall red haired woman saluted, "Lt. Gardner, I'm to be the Princes cultural guide for this event....if he needs me" she added as she neatly about turned and escorted them up the hill to the gatehouse.

EVERYONE. IF YOU'VE NOT YET ARRIVED EVEN FEEL FREE TO RP THAT YOU ARRIVED ON A BOAT AND REACHED THE GATEHOUSE OR JUST JUMP IN.

The area outside the gatehouse was now packed, the two large wooden doors had remained closed. Each door was about ten meters tall and giant black iron hinges held them shut. Women dressed in red circulated through the crowd filling glasses of water and handing out snacks of sweet pastries, the various noble families had gathered in four blocks, to the uninitiated it looked random, but to anyone from Kaitaine it was possible to see those nobles who were connected to the Holy Houses had gravitated towards their distant kin. With them they'd taken their overseas visitors, each doing their best to seem hospitable.

Suddenly from inside the walled complex that formed the Chapterhouse itself a rat-a-tat of drums suddenly filled the air followed by the shriek of a bagpipe. Two Truthsayers appeared from the gatehouse side door and ushered the crowd back as the two doors swung outwards, the hinges creaking as they did. As the inside of Chapterhouse became visible the guests could see an area about the size of four football pitches, it was grassed and surrounded by a stone wall some ten meters tall with a wide step all the way around it. Chapterhouse had been built not just to be a school but also a fort if need be. Seats had been placed on the wall while in the centre kneeling on the ground where the four branches of the Sisterhood arranged in four quarters, all facing a single small white tent that sat in the centre of the giant lawn. In each quarter a solid block of colour, red, black, khaki and blue formed a human mass representing their profession in the Sisterhood. A low chant could be heard beneath the drums and pipes, young girls appeared, they wore variations of the four uniforms, each with slight differences showing that these were the girls in training and yet to graduate the school. They helped direct the guests to their seats, as the visitors climbed the steps onto the walls and took their seats their host or cultural guide whispered to them. "That represents about a quarter of the Sisterhood, there are about 6,000 Sisters down there, selected because of their service." each of them were knelt, they touched their right hand to the centre of their forehead, then touched it to the grass before leaning forward until their forehead once more touched the hand on the ground. They then rose back up moving in unison as one wave in the sea. As they retained the vertical they chanted and the Kaitainites with the guests translated. "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." The women repeated the motions leaving the drums and pipes as the only sound. "Its called the Literny against fear, its designed to focus a Sister of any service on their duties."

Suddenly the pipes stopped and the door of the tent opened, a small framed young girl stepped out wearing a black robe with green trim, "BEHOLD" A Truthsayer yelled, "A Reverned Mother. She shall prove her position to you all. Witness her" The crowd yelled back that they would indeed witness. With that a ritual what must have seemed strange to the visitors began and the young future Revrened Mother was tied to five stakes that had been put near the tent. Once that had been done a member of each of the four branches came forward.

"That's known as the water of life" the guests were having it explained to them. "Its a mixture of rainwater, river water, lake water and our holy spice Melange" each woman poured liquid into a stone beaker that the Truthsayer who had yelled out now poured into the staked down woman's mouth. She drank happily despite the apparent discomfort of the thick white ropes. "Now we wait."

Delphenia
Political Columnist

Founded: May 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Delphenia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:33 am

Chapterhouse, Kaitaine

The Delphenian Delegation had arrived late to the ceremony. Slipping into the chapter house, a rather rotund gentleman attempted to scurry his way up to the seating along the walls without being noticed, he was followed by five or so others, presumably his entourage.

“For fuck’s sake, can we just have one event where we don’t get waylayed by a storm at the airport.” The man muttered to himself as he ascended the seating to an open row. “We look like complete jackasses”. He felt a hand land on his shoulder, looking over he saw his secretary smiling.

“Jack, I don’t think we’re anywhere near close to the main attraction!” The woman pointed to the far side of the massive room, where a young girl had apparently been tied down and was now being fed some sort of liquid. The man just paused in a state of aw, confusion and curiosity. He scratched at the non-existant hair on his head.

“Ya know, I saw a film like this as a kid, but that involved more chanting and somebody ripping out someone else’s heart.” He turned to see an icy gaze coming from his secretary. Before he could do anything, the woman had grabbed him by the collar and brought him eye to eye with her.

“Sir, as the Minister of Foreign Affairs for Delphenia, I would highly suggest not insulting the native culture and their practices for all of our sakes” Pointing with her other hand at the remainder of the delegation, which was too busy watching the spectacle taking place to register that one of the highest ranking members of the Delphenian Government had just been chewed out by his secretary. Smiling, the Minister simply brushed the womans hand away.

“It was merely a joke to lighten the mood, but I suppose you’re right.” His secretary knodded. The Minister quickly motioned to the rest of his entourage to take a seat and stop gawking.

Port Royal, Delphenia
Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Two Days Prior

Jack Hanson sat staring out his window overlooking the government courtyard. Rain slapped up against the window as each passing sheet of rain struck the building. Summer in Delphenia had never looked so dreary. Across the courtyard sat the Parliament house, a large Georgian Colonial building that has housed the Delphenian Parliament since its inception in the early 1800s. Usually the Parliament Building and the Courtyard would be bustling with tourists, but the summer showers had driven most into various museums scattered across either side of the courtyard. He wondered how his boss was holding up with the weather. Before he could finish contemplating, the door creaked open behind him. A lanky and un-assuming intern scuttled into the room.

“Minister Hanson, I’ve been asked to deliver this letter to you.” Jack turned to look at the intern, he was unamused by the intrusion but remained stoic in his composure. He stretched out his hand to signal he would receive the letter. Upon taking the letter, he motioned for the intern to leave, who took no time in complying.

“Who the fuck sends an official letter rather than using the diplomatic cables?” Jack muttered as he stared down at the letters. The Words Kitaine were written in large bold print on the letter. “Oh, Kitaine does… Shocker”. Returning to his desk he opened the letter and read it. The Reverend Mother had passed, more importantly as successor had been chosen and the world had been invited to see the ceremony. Taking out his phone he quickly began texting the Prime Minister of Delphenia, Erik Johansson.

JH: Erik, we’ve got a situation.

Afew moments later The Prime Minister replied

EJ: Let me guess, Kitaine?

JH: Yes… how did you know?

EJ: Ministry of Foreign Intelligence briefing

JH: Oh, well, what’s the call?

EJ: Not going, go in my place.

Jack let out a sigh, Kitaine was not high on his list of destinations. It was strange land dominated by a bunch of religous nuts. Even so, Erik couldn’t be bothered at the moment, his budget proposal for the year had become marred in the House of Captains and the House of Commons refused to make any changes to their original proposals. He had no time to be making courtesy calls half across the world.

JH: K, will get a group ready
Last edited by Delphenia on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ithemba
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ithemba » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:40 am

Oyo watched as the doors began creeping open revealing alien world within. Immediately the atmosphere of the building hit him forcing him to resist the urge to shrink. No matter what he would see this process through. He would stand tall for as long as he could he would relish in the rare blessing he had received of being relieved of Othega's gaze. When Oyo returned he knew those eyes would beat him back into submission but for now he could stretch his back and remain free. The eyes of onlookers at this tall foreign man in strange clothes brandishing a shield and spear was slightly mollified by an even stranger one wearing some sort of ceremonial mask. The existence of another eye catching outsider was a welcomed comfort as the two briefly locked eyes in some sort of mutual understanding. He walked up the well-worn stone steps of this ancient building as the pipes and drums beat away silencing all those who would make unnecessary noise while drowning out those who would yet persist. As the wave of sisters stood and began their chant nothing else could divert Oyo's attention. It was as if the whole world had gone silent, the noise of the translators and the sounds of the drums and pipes faded from Oyo's ears. He did not need a translator to truly understand what was being spoken no matter the language. The conviction among the sisters themselves was enough. The ferocity in which they stood defiant to that which would oppose them no matter the cost, knowing no fear in their devotion.

As the ritual progressed and the new Reverend Mother appeared Oyo noticed the tears streaming down his face. He knelt no longer able to simply sit, he was fully entranced by the ritual. Oyo saw its beauty, its grace, and its history. The people of Kaitaine had shown him something deep in their culture something that simply cannot be described. What he saw was the simple raw and visceral power of the ceremony he did not share in its true power. As he watched it dawned on him that he never would. What he had lost, what his people had lost was this beauty. The ceremony was powerful enough by itself but it opened his mind and showed him the depth to which his soul had been violated and invaded. His wings had been clipped before he even had a chance to unfurl them. He had been stunted half baked and thrown into the world a simple and lacking imitation of those who they had "freed" themselves from. Going through the same motions they had seen used against them. Those which they had been taught was to be civilized. THose which had supplanted the "primitive" the "native" the "foreign". The abezizwe had taught them to hate themselves to see themselves a foreign, to see themselves as worthless, and to see themselves as inferior. His very essence had been corrupted and violated and feed upon by the colonial vultures still circling above. The history and culture lost to his people in the name of progress on some foreign shore. As he witnessed culture and society, not the limitations that existed among his own people. The ceremony had crushed the illusion of free will that protected the parisite that had tangled itself around him and his ancestors. As he looked upon the Reverend Mother bound and forced to drink, he saw true freedom.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents