NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft]Freedom to Use Nicotine

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Dragonslinding WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Draft]Freedom to Use Nicotine

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Freedom to Use Nicotine

Category: Recreational Drug Use
Strength: Legalize

The World Assembly,

Recognizing that some citizens, subjects and/or residents of member states choose to ingest nicotine through various means,

Observing that in most cases use of nicotine does not pose grave social harm,

Aware that different means of ingesting nicotine pose different levels of threat to health,

Hereby:

1. Defines for the purposes of this resolution:
A. Nicotine Product: any product which contains nicotine with quantities sufficient to be psychoactive, and is not intended for purposes other than ingesting nicotine;
B. Tobacco Product: any nicotine product physically containing the leaves and/or stems of the plants from the genus Nicotiana, such items include but are not limited to smokeless tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, and pipe tobacco;
C. Vapor Product: any nicotine product which is used through the process of vaporization of a carrier substance and does not involve combustion of the carrier substance, such as electronic cigarette fluid;
D. Associated Product: any non-nicotine product, or non-tobacco product which is used in association with the acts of vaping or smoking, such items include but are not limited to, pipes, lighters, tampers, ash trays and vaping devices;
E. Smoking: the act of burning a tobacco product for the purposes of inhaling the smoke thereof, in order to ingest nicotine;
F. Vaping: the act of vaporizing a carrier liquid nicotine product without burning it for the purposes of ingesting nicotine, I.E. as in an electronic cigarette;
G. Smokeless Tobacco: any tobacco product whose use does not require the act of smoking or vaping in order to ingest nicotine, such products include but are not limited to chewing tobacco, oral snuff, nasal snuff and snus;

2. Requires member states to permit the ownership, sale and use of nicotine products, tobacco products, vapor products, and associated products by adult citizens, subjects and/or residents;

3. Permits member states to regulate, tax and/or restrict to adults nicotine products, tobacco products, vapor products and associated products as is deemed necessary and appropriate;

4. Permits member states to regulate nicotine products designed for and intended for medical use as they would any other medical drug or device;

5. Permits member states to regulate or restrict advertisements for nicotine products as deemed necessary and appropriate;

6. Allows member states to promote nicotine abstinence and/or harm reduction strategies in anti-smoking campaigns, if applicable, as deemed necessary and appropriate.
Ser Aegon Snow: Chief Ambassador of HM Government to the WA.
Ser Dawrin Stone: Assistant Ambassador of HM Government to the WA

Please note that Ser is a title not a name. It denotes that both of these gentlemen have been knighted

We creatively comply with a number of WA resolutions, check out our factbook on the matter if you'd like to know more.

Cisgendered, homosexual white male. Classically liberal/libertarian, this nation does not reflect my actual political positions.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Reserved for edit notes

Please note that Ser is a title not a name. It denotes that both of these gentlemen have been knighted

We creatively comply with a number of WA resolutions, check out our factbook on the matter if you'd like to know more.

Cisgendered, homosexual white male. Classically liberal/libertarian, this nation does not reflect my actual political positions.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Iksana shrugs. "We're fine with tobacco, but not the precedent this sets. Essu Beti would be completely for it if it didn't open the way for proposals that across-the-board legalize other drugs."
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Isn't nicotine already legal, or is there a GA Resolution that has banned it? It seems fairly redundant, and I'd argue going into the territory of government overreach.

Why not expand it to marijuana and other drugs as well? Seems a bit bizarre to enshrine nicotine usage within this document.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:08 pm

"Theoretically speaking, any international law which legalizes use of a substance could be used as justification to legalize other substances. That being said, I would imagine that in most cases nicotine products and associated products are already legal in member states." Ser Dawrin Stone said. "I don't see where this would prohibit member states from regulating the us of, sale of, taxation of, or prohibition of other drugs."

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm

NeoOasis wrote:Isn't nicotine already legal, or is there a GA Resolution that has banned it? It seems fairly redundant, and I'd argue going into the territory of government overreach.

Why not expand it to marijuana and other drugs as well? Seems a bit bizarre to enshrine nicotine usage within this document.

"What, other drugs too? My nation isn't having any of that. Marijuana and other drugs are illegal in Essu Beti and will continue to be illegal no matter how much the layabouts try to sneak it in."

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:11 pm

NeoOasis wrote:Isn't nicotine already legal, or is there a GA Resolution that has banned it? It seems fairly redundant, and I'd argue going into the territory of government overreach.

"At present, there is no resolution prohibiting or regulating the use of nicotine. As such it would fall under national legislation. The purposes of this draft is to legalize the recreational use of nicotine across the board. As to marijuana, we would not oppose legalizing that either."

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Ambassador I feel that this proposal isn't worth the WA's time. Drug laws are more of a national problem not an international or supernational one.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Ambassador I feel that this proposal isn't worth the WA's time. Drug laws are more of a national problem not an international or supernational one.

I'd have to agree on this matter. I feel that drug matters are best left up to other nations as some may have flat out banned it on the issues of health reasons. Much as I like how the proposal is written, I'm not sure we need this kind of superfluous law.

Though reading over it again, I do take two major issues with it if it were to come to vote.

>Aware that different means of ingesting nicotine pose different levels of threat to health.
I feel that replacing threat with "risk" to health would work better in this case.

Also not sure if you should look at replacing ingesting nicotine with consuming. Please take note as inhaling is not ingesting, and ingesting smokeless tobacco is not recommended. (Snus is a trademarked name of a product and may be breaking in game stuff/rules/character?)

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm

NeoOasis wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Ambassador I feel that this proposal isn't worth the WA's time. Drug laws are more of a national problem not an international or supernational one.

I'd have to agree on this matter. I feel that drug matters are best left up to other nations as some may have flat out banned it on the issues of health reasons. Much as I like how the proposal is written, I'm not sure we need this kind of superfluous law.

Though reading over it again, I do take two major issues with it if it were to come to vote.

>Aware that different means of ingesting nicotine pose different levels of threat to health.
I feel that replacing threat with "risk" to health would work better in this case.

Also not sure if you should look at replacing ingesting nicotine with consuming. Please take note as inhaling is not ingesting, and ingesting smokeless tobacco is not recommended. (Snus is a trademarked name of a product and may be breaking in game stuff/rules/character?)

OOC: By and large I agree, however, I don't doubt that there are those who wish to impose drugs prohibitions through the WA as well so it seems prudent to at least have drafts on hand. I believe I told someone else where that when it comes to proposals you'll draft ten before you get one at vote, and of ten of those, maybe one will make it.

I'll definitely see about replacing threat with risk and consume with ingest.

As for the word snus, it is not a trademarked word. It is the Swedish word for snuff, it would be like saying tampon is a trademarked word and violates the RL reference rule in a proposal that regulates feminine hygiene products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Dragonslinding WA Mission wrote:
As for the word snus, it is not a trademarked word. It is the Swedish word for snuff, it would be like saying tampon is a trademarked word and violates the RL reference rule in a proposal that regulates feminine hygiene products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

I withdraw my complaint on that specific issue. Looks like I've learned something new today after all.

Kitsco
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitsco » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 am

Several reasons as to why nicotine should be banned from public places... The several health concerns caused by tobacco out weighs the benefits of citizens using it. Chewing tobacco, has direct links to gum diseases. Cigarettes, lung cancer, gum diseases. Not to mention nicotine is an addictive drug with next to no medical benefits. Such as Cocaine, heroin, meth, all of these pose serious health risks and concerns not just to the individual taking in said substance, but the families surrounding the individual. I do believe this would be a simple no..
~Leader of St Abbaddon.
~Kitsco.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 am

Dragonslinding WA Mission wrote:5. Permits member states to regulate or restrict advertisements for nicotine products as deemed necessary and appropriate;

How would this clause not violate Resolution 30, Freedom of Expression?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:43 am

Dragonslinding WA Mission wrote:OOC: By and large I agree, however, I don't doubt that there are those who wish to impose drugs prohibitions through the WA as well so it seems prudent to at least have drafts on hand. I believe I told someone else where that when it comes to proposals you'll draft ten before you get one at vote, and of ten of those, maybe one will make it.

If you're concerned about the prospect of a future resolution outlawing these products then you should propose a blocker resolution that reserves to each nation the decision on the legality or otherwise of drugs. There's no call to pre-empt an attack on national sovereignty by means of an attack on national sovereignty.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 am

"You're presuming that Nicotine has comparable effects in all sapient species, then?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Ledaj
Secretary

Founded: Jun 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ledaj » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

I would like to respond to the concern expressed by the respected representative of Christian Democrats:
Christian Democrats wrote:
Dragonslinding WA Mission wrote:5. Permits member states to regulate or restrict advertisements for nicotine products as deemed necessary and appropriate;

I agree that in its current wording the quoted portion of the proposal could reasonably be construed to apply to advertisements made by individuals as well as organizations. However it could also be construed to address the presumably much more common advertisements by organizations only, not advertisements made by individuals. The proposal could be amended to make this distinction clear.

The above argument is based on my interpretation of GAR #30, which may be sadly outdated due to my dearth of knowledge relating to legal precedent relating to this resolution. However, based on my reading, the text of the resolution itself only protects the free speech rights of 'people' and 'individuals'. I would interpret this as not protecting the rights of organizations.

Therefore I recommend to the author of this proposal that the quoted portion be clarified so as to ensure it does not contradict GAR #30, assuming that my interpretation of GAR #30 is correct.

-Ronald Helmwsorth, Delegate of Ledaj to the General Assembly.
Edit: Fixed typo
Last edited by Ledaj on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Theocracy of Ledaj
Long Live the Roc Supreme
Achievements: For now this is just for symmetry!
GA:Ronald Helmsworth

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:"You're presuming that Nicotine has comparable effects in all sapient species, then?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

Iksana shrugs and flicks his tail. "To be fair, if we banned everything that might have an adverse effect on someone, we'd have to ban everything. I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone allergic to water here. And for nicotine, I'm pretty sure that if your biology is sensitive to it to the point that you get high and become absolutely useless for work, your biology is sensitive enough that it'll just kill you."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:04 pm

"So nations can still tax nicotine products at a rate of 1000%? No complaints, then."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Ledaj wrote:I would like to respond to the concern expressed by the respected representative of Christian Democrats:
Christian Democrats wrote:How would this clause not violate Resolution 30, Freedom of Expression?

I agree that in its current wording the quoted portion of the proposal could reasonably be construed to apply to advertisements made by individuals as well as organizations. However it could also be construed to address the presumably much more common advertisements by organizations only, not advertisements made by individuals. The proposal could be amended to make this distinction clear.

The above argument is based on my interpretation of GAR #30, which may be sadly outdated due to my dearth of knowledge relating to legal precedent relating to this resolution. However, based on my reading, the text of the resolution itself only protects the free speech rights of 'people' and 'individuals'. I would interpret this as not protecting the rights of organizations.

Therefore I recommend to the author of this proposal that the quoted potion be clarified so as to ensure it does not contradict GAR #30, assuming that my interpretation of GAR #30 is correct.

Resolution 30 says that "all people" have a right to express themselves. In the preceding clause and in a subsequent clause, the resolution mentions "individual[s], group[s] or organization[s]." It seems to me that the term "all people" is supposed to cover all people -- natural or artificial. A business, church, or labor union, therefore, has the same free expression rights as a businessman, cleric, or laborer.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:12 pm

"Businesses, churches, and labor unions aren't people though. Can a business go to school? Can a church get a job? Can a labor union go to jail?"

Ledaj
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Ledaj » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Resolution 30 says that "all people" have a right to express themselves. In the preceding clause and in a subsequent clause, the resolution mentions "individual[s], group[s] or organization[s]." It seems to me that the term "all people" is supposed to cover all people -- natural or artificial. A business, church, or labor union, therefore, has the same free expression rights as a businessman, cleric, or laborer.

Sir,
The distinction that I see between the resolution's reference to 'people/individuals' and 'individuals, groups or organizations' is as follows:
The resolution protects the speech of people and individuals, not individuals, groups or organizations.
The resolution limits people and individuals' right to free speech by prohibiting them from defaming individuals, groups or organizations.
Whether you had already taken note of this distinction, and formed the above opinion regardless, I am unaware, however I wished to explain the above as my justification for my differing interpretation of GAR#30.
Thank you for helping me to clarify the contemporary interpretation of this resolution.

The Theocracy of Ledaj

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Ledaj wrote:The resolution protects the speech of people and individuals

Exactly. The resolution protects the speech of people and individuals. People, therefore, must mean something different from individuals. If the terms were supposed to be synonymous, then only one of them would have been used (people or individuals), and "individual[s], group[s] or organization[s]" would have said "people, group[s] or organization[s]."

Do you think it would be legitimate under Resolution 30 for a nation to prohibit labor unions from endorsing labor parties?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Labour_parties

A labor union is not an individual, but it is a person as that term is ordinarily used in legal contexts.

Ditto with a tobacco company.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Exactly. The resolution protects the speech of people and individuals.

"People", however, usually refers to the multiple of individual sapient creatures, not organizations.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ledaj
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Ledaj » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Delegate Helmsworth's eyes receded behind his eyelids as he focused his memory. Finally, he seemed to come to a conclusion, and walked to the corner of the room where the GA resolution compendium sat. Flipping open the dusty, neglected pages, Helmsworth found the full text of GAR#30.
https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... s/start=29
"Respected delegate,
I believe that the resolution never provides rights to 'people and individuals', therefore the resolution does not imply that these are separate categories.
I would agree that the resolution is unclear:
'Affirms the right of all people to express their personal, moral, political, cultural, religious and ideological views freely and openly, without fear of reprisal;
Requires member states to respect and uphold this right in all available media to all individuals under their jurisdiction;' (GAR#30)
These two lines do not designate whether they are both referring to two different groups - 'people' and separately, 'individuals' - or to one group by two names. I believe it could be reasonably interpreted in either way. However regardless of how this is interpreted, I would argue that nowhere in GAR#30 does the author suggest that 'people' refers to any others than individual sapient beings."
Helmsworth looked at the floor for a full thirty seconds, as if he had forgotten what he was to say. Finally he closed the resolutions compendium and looked up, a clearer look across his visage.
"Therefore to answer your question, sir, I would claim that under GAR#30, governments are allowed to regulate a Labor Union's right to endorse a political party. This is because the act never clearly protects the rights of 'people' meaning organizations, and never clearly separates the term 'people' from the term 'individuals' which clearly does not include organizations."
-Ronald Helmsworth, delegate of Ledaj to the General Assembly
The Theocracy of Ledaj

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragonslinding WA Mission » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:

OOC:
I will have to review GAR#30; however, the intention behind section 5 is to permit member states to prohibit advertiments by corporations or companies which produce nicotine and/or tobacco products as defined by this proposal. For example, a member state may wish to prohibit cigarette advertisements on television and/or radio, as many RL countries do.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly