NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Universal Murder Law Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Do you support this bill

Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 10

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Universal Murder Law Act

Postby Keshiland » Sun May 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Realizes that barbaric nations need such a law to keep citizens safe.

Bans- The killing of political opponents
Requires- The WA Nations to enforce laws that ban the unjustified killing of other civilians
Bans- The killing of citizens or residents based on color, species, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, language, or religion

I edited out the parts that were deemed illegal.
Last edited by Keshiland on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sun May 28, 2017 3:59 pm

"The inclusion of "mercy" makes this read as an attempt to slide in a euthanasia ban under a supposedly honor killing based act. That's pretty ballsy of you."
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Sun May 28, 2017 4:02 pm

So far I have no objections, but that does not mean that nobody will object. You may need to add some additional information, such as what defines an honor killing as well as an explanation as to why it should be banned.

Be advised, it is likely that you will get a lot of friction in regards to the ban of killing for mercy. Some may consider that a slight against euthanasia, may being the key word there. On a further note, "killing for pride" might get a few comments given that some soldiers may be sworn to close with, engage, and destroy an enemy for the pride of their nation. These are not my concerns, just something to think about.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun May 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Essu Beti wrote:"The inclusion of "mercy" makes this read as an attempt to slide in a euthanasia ban under a supposedly honor killing based act. That's pretty ballsy of you."

Killing someone is different than suicide.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sun May 28, 2017 4:04 pm

"I said euthanasia, not suicide."

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun May 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Essu Beti wrote:"I said euthanasia, not suicide."

I just defined the meanings of all of them and euthanasia is assisted medical suicide.

State count 135

The Sheika
Diplomat

Postby The Sheika » Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Essu Beti wrote:"I said euthanasia, not suicide."

I just defined the meanings of all of them and euthanasia is assisted medical suicide.

Pretty basic definitions, but a good start. You may need more information on what an honor killing is and why it is a concern, just to get your argument a little bit further.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sun May 28, 2017 4:12 pm

"Better. You still need a preamble, an explanation of why this wouldn't already be covered under existing resolutions regarding natural rights, a reformatting, and a spellcheck. Might also want to plump up your statements, too, make sure they cover all your bases."

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 28, 2017 4:59 pm

"Ambassador why would you put the word "exceptions" when there are none?"
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun May 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Thermodolia wrote:"Ambassador why would you put the word "exceptions" when there are none?"

To make clear that there is no reason what so ever that it is okay

State count 135

The Sheika
Diplomat

Postby The Sheika » Sun May 28, 2017 5:15 pm

I see that you have submitted this to the World Assembly. I have a couple of questions to pose to you;
1) It has only been a couple of hours since you posted a draft here, are you absolutely certain that you cannot make anymore improvements to help carry your argument further and increase the odds of receiving more endorsements?
2) Are you sure that you could not have explained the purpose behind your resolution for clarity, as well as explaining specific situations that led to the creation of your proposal?

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Sun May 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Keshiland wrote:Criminalization of Honor Killing Act

Goal- To end killing for honor

Restictions- Complete and total ban of killing for pride, honor, or "mercy".

Exeptions- NONE

Defines - Killing for pride as killing in the name of the family

Defines - Killing for honor as killing due to going against the family

Defines - Killing for mercy as killing someone without there consent to "relieve them of pain"

Well, I am entirely curious as to the point of this.

They are all murder. If murder is illegal in a country, then why would you need a resolution to outlaw it?

Regardless of the motive, you are basically saying that murder is now illegal, which I think is already going to be the case in most member states. So this would just be duplicating laws they already have.

So yeah, I am going to have to oppose this because it literally serves no purpose as far as I can see.

And while I admit it is strange there are no resolutions against murder, maybe there is a reason for that. If The WA hasn't felt it necessary to pass a law saying "You shall not murder", then maybe it shouldn't feel compelled to pass a law saying "You shall not murder for specific reasons, but feel free to keep murderin' for all the other reasons you want" because it would kind of make The WA look like a bunch of callous bastards.

Because (from a certain point of view) this proposal says it is fine to kill someone if you want to steal their stuff, or if they are boinking your wife, or if they ran over your cat with their zamboni, but not if you want to restore your family pride? What kind of a fracked up law is that for a World body to pass?

The one thing I will accept is that the third clause doesn't outlaw euthanasia, because (from what I understand) euthanasia does kind of require the consent of the person who is dying. Otherwise it is pretty much murder.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun May 28, 2017 5:18 pm

The Sheika wrote:I see that you have submitted this to the World Assembly. I have a couple of questions to pose to you;
1) It has only been a couple of hours since you posted a draft here, are you absolutely certain that you cannot make anymore improvements to help carry your argument further and increase the odds of receiving more endorsements?
2) Are you sure that you could not have explained the purpose behind your resolution for clarity, as well as explaining specific situations that led to the creation of your proposal?

I do not think that anyone would question why I think it needs to be outlawed. The bill is just how I want it but I will answer any questions that come my way.

Also if you could help it get more yes votes it would be greatly appreciated :)

State count 135

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:"Ambassador why would you put the word "exceptions" when there are none?"

To make clear that there is no reason what so ever that it is okay

"It's unnecessary. These things have a word limit ya know"
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun May 28, 2017 5:22 pm

So, we need a resolution making a type of murder ... illegal??
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Keshiland wrote:
The Sheika wrote:I see that you have submitted this to the World Assembly. I have a couple of questions to pose to you;

I do not think that anyone would question why I think it needs to be outlawed. The bill is just how I want it but I will answer any questions that come my way.

"It's going to fail because GenSec will declare it illegal. Because it is. It has no enacting clause, like hereby enacts such and such. You need to pull it"
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun May 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Because (from a certain point of view) this proposal says it is fine to kill someone if you want to steal their stuff, or if they are boinking your wife, or if they ran over your cat with their zamboni, but not if you want to restore your family pride? What kind of a fracked up law is that for a World body to pass?

This resolution does not allow other murders. It is simply in place to stop a practice that many places think is okay. Striking it down does more harm than good because if nations see that they do not have to outlaw murder then many could take that as a license to kill.

If this passes the public vote then a bill outlawing all other murder would be proposed since it would show people are on board.

State count 135

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Keshiland wrote:

This resolution does not allow other murders. It is simply in place to stop a practice that many places think is okay. Striking it down does more harm than good because if nations see that they do not have to outlaw murder then many could take that as a license to kill.

If this passes the public vote then a bill outlawing all other murder would be proposed since it would show people are on board.

But murder is already illegal!
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Sheika
Diplomat

Postby The Sheika » Sun May 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Keshiland wrote:I do not think that anyone would question why I think it needs to be outlawed. The bill is just how I want it but I will answer any questions that come my way.

Oh, you might get a little bit of push back from nations or worlds, whatever the case may be, where honor killings are part of their culture. To you it may be uncivilized, and I am in agreement there, but there are always two sides to every story. As for the bill being how you want it, that's cool, but you may want to consider adding more content to fully explain your point of view. Doing so is likely to help you gain support. As it stands right now, you are probably going to encounter quite a bit of opposition.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun May 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:So, we need a resolution making a type of murder ... illegal??

"It's time for another defenestration!"
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Altanni
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Altanni » Sun May 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Even though you ban honor killings, that doesn't automatically stop people from doing it. Nowhere in your proposal does it make these killings a criminal offense. While I find this a bit pointless and probably won't support it if it ever gets to vote, you definitely could have benefited from more careful and thorough revision.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sun May 28, 2017 5:31 pm

"Look kid, I'm seeing a pattern here with you. You like to bang out proposals in five minutes, throw them out to the public, and then submit them incomplete whether everyone's shouting advice or shooting it down. That doesn't fly here. Proposals take time and effort, and yours clearly wasn't given much of either. You didn't even spellcheck it!"

"So back up a bit and make this an actual proposal instead of a quick blogpost. Check out the styles of actual accepted ones. Add a preamble. Justify it- murder is already illegal, so what makes honor killings so different? Put in a little actual effort. And take advice that's given you."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Keshiland wrote:I do not think that anyone would question why I think it needs to be outlawed. The bill is just how I want it but I will answer any questions that come my way.

Alrighty then...
  1. Why is the goal "To end killing for honor", yet the proposal text actually includes two other things?
  2. Why is the proposal named Criminalization of Honor Killing (and a surplus to requirements "Act"), when it is not, in fact, criminalized?
  3. What counts as "family"? In some cases this would seem to ban fatal combat in war, where killing the enemy is often done "in the name of" one's extended family, also known as tribe, or even nation.
  4. The wording "Killing for honor as killing due to going against the family" is very confusing. Is the killer going against the family or the victim? And what on earth does "against the family" mean anyway?
  5. The wording of "killing to relieve them of pain" on mercy killing is very specific. Was that intended? One could claim the killing was done "to prevent needlessly prolonging their suffering" and be entirely compliant, despite the meaning being much the same.
  6. When are you going to learn the patience needed for writing good resolutions, rather than just throwing crap at the WA in the hopes that something will stick?

Thermodolia wrote:But murder is already illegal!
Essu Beti wrote:murder is already illegal

In the eyes of the WA, only in very specific cases, such as genocide.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun May 28, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Sun May 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Keshiland wrote:

Oh for the love of the goddess. The fact that some people in some countries in The WA might think this is permissible doesn't actually mean the countries they are IN think it is permissible. We have people who think they should be able to kill their neighbour because their neighbour plays their music too loud. Do you want to write a proposal saying "YOU CANNOT KILL SOMEONE BECAUSE THEY PLAYING 2112 TOO LOUD ON A SATURDAY MORNING"? I am guessing no, you don't, because that would be utterly insane. And not just because you can NEVER play that too loud :)

This is a solution looking for a problem, and it is a problem that either doesn't exist, or one that is so small it needs dealing with at a national level, not an international one.

Almost every country would (outside of capital punishment) consider the taking of a life without the consent of another person to be murder (of one sort or another - I don't want to get into discussion about manslaughter/1st degree/2nd degree etc) and they wouldn't care about the motive. So this proposal is somewhat pointless and incredibly overkill (if you will pardon the phrase.)
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Keshiland wrote:Criminalization of Honor Killing Act

Goal- To end killing for honor

Restictions- Complete and total ban of killing for pride, honor, or "mercy".

Exeptions- NONE

Defines - Killing for pride as killing in the name of the family

Defines - Killing for honor as killing due to going against the family

Defines - Killing for mercy as killing someone without there consent to "relieve them of pain"
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly