NATION

PASSWORD

Odd things they do in other countries...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat May 27, 2017 12:57 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
It's not just states.

You'd need to calculate prices by individual county, city, or borough. Some boroughs or whatever subdivision of cities probably have higher tax rates than others from different authorities, so you'd need to pretty much tally up inventory costs for each store individually, each time you're stocking inventory. It's a lot more work than you seem to assume and it's much easier to simply list a non-tax price that can be universally applied, then add it at the register for each store's individual costs.

If you could display prices electronically instead of with little stickers, it would probably be done, but you don't do that, so it isn't. I suppose in the future when you can geographically locate people browsing Wal-mart's website or whatever and have access to tax databases, the website will automatically display your final price based on local sales taxes on the website, but probably not in the store.

What actually happens is that most Americans can list off their various local and state tax percentages at the drop of a hat, probably tell you which portion of the local tax code it's listed under, and perform the calculations for prices in their heads before going to the register.
But why? Why all those different tax rates? Why not one national tax rate? Why do you have to make it so complicated? :blink:

Welcome to Federalism.

A single national sales tax would require collaborating with each city mayor in the country, each county commissioner, and each governor, in addition to the Congress. Rather than convene literally every elected leader in the country to agree to a single nationwide tax, we just say "fuck it" and let them figure it out instead.

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Galloism wrote:Because the city tax funds the city government, the county tax funds the county government, and state tax funds the state government.
Wait, are those taxes used simultaniously on a product? So you have to add three tax rates before you know what you have to pay? How can you function at all? :blink:

Yes, I think this is very odd.

No.

Usually a county's, city's and state's sales taxes are added together into a single percentage. My city's sales tax rate is actually 2%, but it's added together with 4.225% state tax rate and the county tax rate, to produce something close to 7.4% sales tax. So it's actually gone up very slightly then what I remember. RIP me.

Most people can quote the combined tax rate on the spot and calculate using that.

The "sales tax" in America covers the state, local, and county governments' individual sales taxes as a whole.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat May 27, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sat May 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Gallia- wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:But why? Why all those different tax rates? Why not one national tax rate? Why do you have to make it so complicated? :blink:

Welcome to Federalism.

A single national sales tax would require collaborating with each city mayor in the country, each county commissioner, and each governor, in addition to the Congress. Rather than convene literally every elected leader in the country, we just say "fuck it" and let them figure it out instead.

Here the idea is 'pay the goverment, local authorities get some money later'.

Gallia- wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Wait, are those taxes used simultaniously on a product? So you have to add three tax rates before you know what you have to pay? How can you function at all? :blink:

No.

Usually a county's, city's and state's sales taxes are added together into a single percentage. My city's sales tax rate is actually 2%, but it's added together with 4.225% state tax rate and the county tax rate, to produce something close to 7.4% sales tax. So it's actually gone up very slightly then what I remember. RIP me.

Most people can quote the combined tax rate on the spot and calculate using that.

The "sales tax" in America covers the state, local, and county governments' individual sales taxes as a whole.

That makes it a bit simpler then, and slightly less weird. Dutch sales tax is 6 or 21 % by the way. ;)
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat May 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Risottia wrote:Literally surrounded by people doing weird stuff here. Go a bit west and they put the forks upside down on the table. Go a bit more northwest and they drive on the wrong side. Go a bit north and they have dinner at 18.00 .

Go a bit further north and we have dinner at 12:00.

Sjealand wrote:In north america people just crossed whenever they could. I felt like an idiot standing there and waiting for green :lol:

That's a point: making crossing the damned road illegal.

NERVUN wrote:
Ankuran wrote:In Japan, the way restaurant staff thanks you for every little thing. I am the one receiving the service; I should be thanking you.

It's a Japanese thing. You're either thanking, apologizing, or noting that it's hot, cold or you're tired. Some 99% of Japanese conversation is that.

To be fair, the first four of those make up almost all of British conversation as well.

AiliAiliA wrote:
Auze wrote:The metric system is overrated, for many reasons.
And also Celsius, which is even more overrated

Celsius is flawed, I must admit. The freezing point of water is not exactly 0 C and the boiling point of water is not exactly 100 C

But at least it tried, and at least it got close, to a scale based on two properties of water.

While Fahrenheit has only one anchor, it's human body temperature, and it got that wrong by two whole degrees. The other anchor, 0ºF, is way out in nowheresville, some nonsense about ice and salt and a dodgy thermometer that some guy built himself.

Celsius is arbitrary, it's bad, and it is embarassing to have to include it in SI units, but Celsius > Farhenheit any fucking day.

Kelvin master race?

Savojarna wrote:
AiliAiliA wrote:
Hmm. You called me out on something I can't really give an expert opinion on.

As I understand it, we could define "water" as pure H2O at standard temperature and pressure, but we couldn't actually measure its freezing point. Because what we have isn't pure H2O. We'll get closer and closer, constructing a sample molecule by molecule using nano-engineering, but even then there will be some quantum wiggle in the molecules of our sample. It will always be a measurement, not an objective definition (the way we can define a number in mathematics), and always be subject to some uncertainty about how we measured it and what we measured.

A metre or a gram is also, ultimately, a measurement of something. It's not pure mathematics. Any measurement (distance, time, mass, etc) is subject to further refinement and correction in the future. And it will never be perfect.

Is there a theoretical possibility to absolutely define any measurement?

Yes: the second is absolutely defined: it is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the Caesium 133 atom.

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Longweather wrote:Dutch breakfast sprinkles

I guess I'm missing something :eyebrow:

The Swiss have railway platforms that lead directly to the side walk across the entire length, no ledges, fences or anything. So weird.

There are plenty of stations around the UK that have public rights of way running through them: onto the platform on one side, over the station bridge, and out along the platform on the other side. Stations with barriers and stuff are still rare enough (outside of London and the major interchanges) that you are warned about them as the train pulls into the station.

USS Monitor wrote:
Calladan wrote:
Just gonna leave this here....

That's nice, but Fahrenheit and Celsius both have the same problem when it comes to using them for science: because the scale doesn't start at absolute zero, they're basically useless for any sort of calculation that looks at the relationships between temperature, pressure, etc.

But what about the classical equation PV = NR(T+273.15)? :P

Calladan wrote:
Cabra West wrote:
There's only one that I'm aware of that does that - and if you work in an industry where start and end dates have massive relevance, it's enough to make you go totally postal at regular intervals.

Oh gods yes, but we sort of fixed this in our company because we wrote it into a contract that when our American supplier was writing dates, they HAD to use a standard of MON/dd/yyyy (or dd-MON-yyyy) so that the month wasn't just two figures, it was spelt out as three letters. It added an extra step in decoding it for our coders, but it solved every other problem we had with deciding what fricking date they were on about when they wrote 05/05/2002. Stupid dumb-ass dating system.

You picked a bad example there: 05/05/2002 is unambiguous.

Calladan wrote:
Cetacea wrote:
My job is data handling and dates trigger most of our milestone processes. unfortunately the CRM we have uses US dates mm/dd/yy rather than sensible dd/mm/yy. So if people forget it throws the entire system out due to dates not matching. It drives me batty as half my work is reduced to changing dates

(grin) Like I said, we literally forced our customers to stop that idiocy and bow to our will :)

And why would ANYONE need the Month first? Who looks at a date and thinks "Yes - it's important I know what month it is and not what day it is?" I have literally never understood the point of it.

"Which month's expense report does this go in?"

Arotania wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:Just gonna respond to this.

The only one of those I don't remember is standard gravity - the other two are 2000 and 1760. Now, it's not like standard gravity in feet per second per second is any difficult number - it's about 32.2. If you had to remember it, it would be just as easy as 9.81 meters per second per second.

But once you find out that there are 160 imperial fl.oz. in an imperial gallon but 128 US fl.oz. in a US gallon it gets weird. Then you learn that an imperial fl.oz. is 28.4 ml and a US fl.oz. is 29.57 ml and the whole system etches closer and closer to insanity. After that you discover the US dry gallon that is not related to the others in any conceivable way but just seems to exist to further mess with people's heads and the only sane reaction to this mess of a "sytem" becomes maniacal laughter.

I mean, the US already uses half the SI system: ampere, second, mole, candela and many units derived of those. So they just should get it over with and also adopt the rest.
Can't be that hard to sell to the public. Just use that fact that many Americans wrongly think that they use the imperial system and dress the change as the throwing off of the last English imperial shackles and obtaining complete freedom. Then just add the fact that the French revolution was just a copy heavily inspired by the American revolution, so by transitivity the metric system is basically an American invention and everyone should be on board.

Perfectly logical! (Of these, I've seen all except twip, poppyseed, shackle, Roman mile, spindle, skein, shaftement, link, and one of the chains actually being used (I've seen one of the chains, but not sure which)).

The Alexandrian Polis wrote:Wait... I haven't said anything yet.

Eh... having constitutions I can't read in about fifteen minutes because their so long (looking at you Vietnam and your eleven-chapter constitution with 120 articles.

Try India's.

For that matter: obsession with constitutions.

Cabra West wrote:Having separate tabs for hot and cold water at sinks and bath tubs.
I've seen it both in Ireland and the UK, and I don't get why you would go to all that extra hassle to fix another tab just so that you will never be able to have warm water - only boiling and freezing.

Old British houses used a method of getting hot water that meant that you couldn't guarantee that the hot water was drinking water-clean, and mixer taps allow for contamination of your (clean) cold water supply from your (potentially not clean) hot water supply.

Gallia- wrote:
Savojarna wrote:
That still doesn't explain why you couldn't add taxes to the price tag, assuming the tag is on the shelves. Just make different tags for different states.

It's not just states.

You'd need to calculate prices by individual county, city, or borough. Some boroughs or whatever subdivision of cities probably have higher tax rates than others from different authorities, so you'd need to pretty much tally up inventory costs for each store individually, each time you're stocking inventory. It's a lot more work than you seem to assume and it's much easier to simply list a non-tax price that can be universally applied, then add it at the register for each store's individual costs.

If you could display prices electronically instead of with little stickers, it would probably be done, but you don't do that, so it isn't. I suppose in the future when you can geographically locate people browsing Wal-mart's website or whatever and have access to tax databases, the website will automatically display your final price based on local sales taxes on the website, but probably not in the store.

What actually happens is that most Americans can list off their various local and state tax percentages at the drop of a hat, probably tell you which portion of the local tax code it's listed under, and perform the calculations for prices in their heads before going to the register.

The problem here, is devolving full tax powers way too fucking far.

Nulla Bellum wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
NASA works with metric.

https://www.nasa.gov/offices/oce/functi ... s/isu.html :p

Which system is going to immerse a child in the logical methods of algebraic conversions and calculus faster? There are merits to both, but in the overview being able to count to ten isn't all that impressive in a 5 year old when there is another 5 year old that can tell you there's 16 ounces in a pound and around 51.7129 Torr per foot-pound per square inch. ;)

Metric. Every time. Because you don't waste nearly as much time memorising stupid conversion ratios by rote.

Gallia- wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:But why? Why all those different tax rates? Why not one national tax rate? Why do you have to make it so complicated? :blink:

Welcome to Federalism.

A single national sales tax would require collaborating with each city mayor in the country, each county commissioner, and each governor, in addition to the Congress. Rather than convene literally every elected leader in the country to agree to a single nationwide tax, we just say "fuck it" and let them figure it out instead.

No it wouldn't: just the state governments (and you only need to go that far down because of annoying constitutional bollocks): you just collect all of the money in at the top, then hand some portion of that money down to all of the lower layers. As well as fixing the stupid pricing thing, this would also let you fix the ridiculous mess that the US currently has, where poor areas get less funding than wealthy areas.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat May 27, 2017 3:38 pm

Risottia wrote:One tenth: subject (singular)
of the cups: specification of the subject
Verb must be conjugated in accordance with subject.
Is.

This is what I'd do if I were so silly to expect English syntax to make any sense.

I'm not sure how a fraction is a subject, but I agree that it doesn't make much sense half of the time. (pun intended)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Galloism wrote:Because the city tax funds the city government, the county tax funds the county government, and state tax funds the state government.
Wait, are those taxes used simultaniously on a product? So you have to add three tax rates before you know what you have to pay? How can you function at all? :blink:

Usually people don't worry about how it's broken out. They just remember their one tax rate.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Risottia wrote:One tenth: subject (singular)
of the cups: specification of the subject
Verb must be conjugated in accordance with subject.
Is.

This is what I'd do if I were so silly to expect English syntax to make any sense.

I'm not sure how a fraction is a subject, but I agree that it doesn't make much sense half of the time. (pun intended)

"People are really silly. One-tenth are comically silly."

What's the subject of the second sentence?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Khalisako
Senator

Founded: Jul 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Khalisako » Sat May 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Eating eggs that're boiled in little boy's urine.

I'm looking at you, china.
Highly Important Signature of Approval.
Hurdergaryp wrote:Oh, Khalisako... my dear, precious little Khalisako...
sometimes I just want to grab you by the throat and choke you for a while,
but that would not be proper behaviour. It just wouldn't do.

[DOES NOT BELIEVE IN SIN]
Trump MAGAthread Soundtrack

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat May 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Galloism wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:I'm not sure how a fraction is a subject, but I agree that it doesn't make much sense half of the time. (pun intended)

"People are really silly. One-tenth are comically silly."

Well obviously given the discussion it would be 'one-tenth', but in the absence of this discussion I would have said 'people', given the context, or in the case of 'one-tenth are comically silly' as a sentence standing alone, I'd have said that the subject is unstated.
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Sat May 27, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Galloism wrote:"People are really silly. One-tenth are comically silly."

Well obviously given the discussion it would be 'one-tenth', but in the absence of this discussion I would have said 'people', given the context, or in the case of 'one-tenth are comically silly' as a sentence standing alone, I'd have said that the subject is unstated.

See though, now you're saying the subject would have been in a different sentence. :)

As far as I am aware, the only subject that can be implied (or as you said, unstated) is "you".

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat May 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Galloism wrote:See though, now you're saying the subject would have been in a different sentence. :)

Yes, I am.

As far as I am aware, the only subject that can be implied (or as you said, unstated) is "you".

That's interesting, that there is one, but only one. Language rules are silly.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 pm

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Welcome to Federalism.

A single national sales tax would require collaborating with each city mayor in the country, each county commissioner, and each governor, in addition to the Congress. Rather than convene literally every elected leader in the country, we just say "fuck it" and let them figure it out instead.

Here the idea is 'pay the goverment, local authorities get some money later'.

Here, it depends on the state's constitution on how local authorities are organized.

I don't know anything about this, though, except that I think some states grant substantial latitude to their subdivisions (counties, municipalities, whatever) in states that don't apply Dillon's Rule. I'm not sure if any states operate as federal unions with their local subdivisions, but 10 states lack Dillon's Rule in their constitutions, which explicitly doesn't protect local subdivisions from unilateral destruction (City of Trenton v. State of New Jersey), so that sort of implies that one of the protections of states that don't have Dillon's Rule on the books is protection against unilateral destruction.

My state operates as both a "home rule" (i.e. local municipalities and counties have powers beyond what is specified in the US and state constitution) and "Dillon's Rule" state, so it can unilaterally destroy subdivisions and create them, among other things. I don't know the specifics of that, though, as that would require digging into state constitutional law.

Suffice to say, it's complicated. Probably not as complicated as European Union law, but more complex than any one EU state or Britain, besides maybe Germany.

No one actually needs to know any of that to know their sales tax, though.

Galloism wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Wait, are those taxes used simultaniously on a product? So you have to add three tax rates before you know what you have to pay? How can you function at all? :blink:

Usually people don't worry about how it's broken out. They just remember their one tax rate.

This, but my communist city government puts the break downs on their 1990s website anyway.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat May 27, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Galloism wrote:See though, now you're saying the subject would have been in a different sentence. :)

Yes, I am.

Well you're wrong. :) it's just that one-tenth is a plural quantity, as it's not one, even if it is one. Here's an example.

One-tenth of the astronauts are Pacific Islanders.

There are ten astronauts. One-tenth are Pacific Islanders.

You don't say "One-tenth is Pacific Islanders" even though you're talking about one person.

You can also say "Ten percent are Pacific Islanders".

That's interesting, that there is one, but only one. Language rules are silly.

That's because where "you" is implied, you're talking to the subject.

Go to the grocery store.

Go vote.

Rub my back.

Shoot the bastard.

In all those, "you" is implied.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General