NATION

PASSWORD

How to Appoint a WA Delegate in Reigon?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Arcticwind
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

How to Appoint a WA Delegate in Reigon?

Postby Arcticwind » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 am

Okay so my friend applied for the WA Delegate and has been approved. He asked me to put him in the reigonal WA Delegate position and I agreeed. However, when I try to promote him to the Delegate position, the checkmark is greyed out and I can't select it. What should I do?

-Arcticwind

The Gipper
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Gipper » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 am

The nation with the most endorsements in the region will become the Delegate. You can't appoint an RO to that position.

You'll need another WA Member Nation in your region, remember only one per player is allowed. One WA member endorses the other and then at next game update the endorsed will become Delegate.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:08 am

And to go in slightly more detail, while yes, the nation with the most WA endorsements becomes the delegate, this is only updated twice a day, so it can take up to 12 hours to go into effect. These updates occur between 12-1 Eastern time, both AM and PM.

But ya, the important part is it is the nation with the most endorsements, but it is not instant and may take up to 12 hours to take effect.

Eyrrdom
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eyrrdom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Exactly how many endorsements are required to become delegate?

Abhichandra
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Abhichandra » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Eyrrdom wrote:Exactly how many endorsements are required to become delegate?

At least one endorsement (the WA Delegate needs to have the most in the region)
Last edited by Abhichandra on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eyrrdom
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eyrrdom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Abhichandra wrote:
Eyrrdom wrote:Exactly how many endorsements are required to become delegate?

And if you are tied for endorsements?

Shady Invasions
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Shady Invasions » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Eyrrdom wrote:
Abhichandra wrote:

And if you are tied for endorsements?

I can't remember who said it, but he/she said, "Its complicate". That, of course, only is in the situation in which the two nations gain endos at the same time. It does not apply to a situation in which a delegate has 2 endos, and another nation comes afterward and gets two endos. In that situation, the delegate stays the same.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:42 pm

It's not that complicated. The one who got endorsed first with the tying endo wins the tie.

Shady Invasions wrote:That, of course, only is in the situation in which the two nations gain endos at the same time.

That doesn't happen. The server processes them sequentially. Even if it's within a hundredth of a second, one of them was first.

NationHelper
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NationHelper » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:It's not that complicated. The one who got endorsed first with the tying endo wins the tie.

Shady Invasions wrote:That, of course, only is in the situation in which the two nations gain endos at the same time.

That doesn't happen. The server processes them sequentially. Even if it's within a hundredth of a second, one of them was first.

Ah..... So the server knows it before the update?

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:13 pm

NationHelper wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:It's not that complicated. The one who got endorsed first with the tying endo wins the tie.

Ah..... So the server knows it before the update?

More like the system has all the data but to put it all together properly, it needs to go through each nation and region systematically to ensure total accuracy.
See You Space Cowboy...

Frankland
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Frankland » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:21 pm

I seem to recall it being more complicated than that, actually.

For instance a tie could result when incumbent delegate resigns WA / leaves region / CTEs. So the delegate position should pass to whoever has the next highest endorsements, but two nations tied for that spot could have been tied for weeks. Also a tie might not come about because someone got new endorsements - it could be that several updates ago someone endorsing one of the nation's moved out of region - knocking someone down to a tie with a nation they were previously leading.

Update 1:
Delegateland: 17 endos
Nation1: 16 endos
Nation2: 13 endos

Update 2:
Since last update a new member has endorsed Delegateland & Nation2.
Delegateland: 18 endos
Nation1: 16 endos
Nation2: 14 endos

Update 3:
Since last update a WA Member nation has moved out of region, and another has CTEd. Both were endorsing Delegate & Nation1.
Delegateland: 16 endos
Nation1: 14 endos
Nation2: 14 endos

Update 4:
This update Delegateland CTEs. He was endorsing both Nation1 & Nation2
Nation1: 13 endos
Nation2: 13 endos

So who becomes delegate? As I recall- the way the game solves some of these ties can be pretty squirrelly. Or at least can look like it - especially when there is a month between each of the above events so no one remembers how the tie came about anyway.
Also Known As:
Topid, Weed, Daynor
NS Player since Aug 2006
Former Defender, SC Author

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Frankland wrote:I seem to recall it being more complicated than that, actually.

No, you're just making it more complicated.

Update hits region. Stuff happens, including idle nations CTE followed by endo count of surviving WA nations. Near the end, the server selects the Delegate. In case of a tie, nation with the [latest:oldest]* endorsement wins.

* [latest:oldest] meaning endos are stored in date order, so the system only has to count them and make a note of the date of the last one.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:

Update hits region. Stuff happens, including idle nations CTE followed by endo count of surviving WA nations. Near the end, the server selects the Delegate. In case of a tie, nation with the [latest:oldest]* endorsement wins.

* [latest:oldest] meaning endos are stored in date order, so the system only has to count them and make a note of the date of the last one.

Granted, it may have changed in the last 8 years, but it is still linked in the Tech FAQ.

Pythagosaurus wrote:The official FAQ says nothing of the sort. Any other FAQ is maintained by people who don't have access to the code and are thus only guessing.

A tie goes to the current delegate. If the delegate is not involved in the tie, then it's... complicated. Suffice it to say that the criterion is non-obvious, and I'm going to change it now to something more deterministic.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:

Thanks Fris! To my knowledge site staff had never spelled that out before, always choosing to be more cagey like the above mentioned "it's complicated".

We can now confirm UDL's exam was incorrect on this point all this time later.
AKA Weed

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Topid wrote:Thanks Fris! To my knowledge site staff had never spelled that out before, always choosing to be more cagey like the above mentioned "it's complicated".

We can now confirm UDL's exam was incorrect on this point all this time later.

Just to be completely clear, "site staff" (me) has never seen the code nor discussed it with any admin. The above is purely speculative ... though I suspect it's entirely correct.

So no, you can't confirm anything.

Wrezymtronushylkka
Civilian

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wrezymtronushylkka » Thu May 24, 2018 12:09 pm

And if the Region only has one nation in WA?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu May 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Wrezymtronushylkka wrote:And if the Region only has one nation in WA?

Then you need to make friends and get more than one WA nation in the region. Don't make another WA nation yourself, or we'll eject both of them and ban you from the WA for a year.

Also, don't bump old threads.

Chilaman
Civilian

Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Chilaman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am

The Gipper wrote:The nation with the most endorsements in the region will become the Delegate. You can't appoint an RO to that position.

You'll need another WA Member Nation in your region, remember only one per player is allowed. One WA member endorses the other and then at next game update the endorsed will become Delegate.

How do I endorse someone?

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Read the FAQ and avoid gravedigging.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical