NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Can garbage cans?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Can garbage cans?

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:02 am

[desc] Last night, cleaners working in @@CAPITAL@@ Central Train Station discovered a bomb hidden in one of its many dustbins. Following this shocking discovery, a sweep of the capital was conducted, and illegal weapons and explosive devices were found to be concealed in a large number of trash cans. @@NAME@@'s citizens are starting to panic in light of the revelation that terrorists could have successfully launched a massive coordinated attack if not for the chance discovery of the items.

[validity] Only valid for nations where terrorism is illegal

[option] "We can't let this happen again," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Police Commissioner, while methodically combing through your waste basket for dangerous objects. "Imagine the chaos that would have ensued, had the terrorists actually carried out their plans! We must ban the use of garbage cans and step up police patrols in densely populated areas."
[effect] terrorists stash their firearms in the growing piles of trash littering the streets
[stats] safety increases, safety from crime increases, law and order funding increases, environmental funding decreases, environmental beauty decreases, authoritarianism increases, retail industry contracts slightly, insurance industry contracts slightly, deaths by murder decrease, political apathy decreases

[option] "That's preposterous!" blusters @@RANDOMNAME@@, a cleaner, whilst emptying your wastebasket. "That would inconvenience the public, and most importantly, having to clear all the litter on the streets would make our jobs ten times harder! A simpler solution would be to hire more cleaners, so that dustbins can be cleared more often. All opaque dustbins should also be replaced with transparent ones, making them easier to examine."
[effect] cleaners armed with brooms and mops are @@NAME@@'s first line of defense against terrorism
[stats] safety increases, safety from crime increases, environmental funding increases, environmental beauty increases, retail industry expands slightly, manufacturing industry expands slightly, deaths by murder decrease, employment increases, insurance industry contracts slightly, happiness increases

[option] "Did you ever stop to wonder where all of those contraband munitions came from in the first place?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, a military analyst, handing you a stack of case files. "I did, and considering the fact that the majority of those weapons are standard-issue Blackacre Military Assault Rifles, it's pretty obvious who the culprits are. I say that we return the favour by blowing up their trash cans. Covertly, of course."
[effect] garbage collection is the most dangerous occupation in both Blackacre and @@NAME@@
[stats] safety decreases, environmental beauty decreases, deaths by murder increase, retail industry contracts, arms manufacturing industry expands, defense funding increases, pacifism decreases, compassion decreases, niceness decreases, employment decreases, insurance industry expands, ideological radicality increases, political apathy increases

[option] "What in the blue blazes would that solve?" lampoons General @@RANDOMNAME@@, shoving the analyst aside and hastily saluting. "And besides, the more important lesson to draw from this is that the security of our nation has been severely compromised. Thus, we should enact martial law until we figure things out. Since terrorists and the like seem keen to use our waste receptacles for their nefarious schemes, it is necessary for us to station troops at every bin in @@NAME@@ to monitor suspicious activity."
[effect] taking out the trash usually involves a strip search and multiple guns pointed at one's head
[stats] martial law enacted, civil rights decreases, safety increases very slightly, safety from crime increases, political apathy decreases, happiness decreases, ideological radicality increases, defense funding increases, law and order funding increases, employment increases, environmental beauty decreases slightly, insurance industry expands
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 19 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:[desc] Last night, cleaners working in @@CAPITAL@@ Central Train Station discovered a bomb hidden in one of its many dustbins. Following this shocking discovery, a sweep of the capital was conducted, and illegal weapons and explosive devices were found to be concealed in a large number of trash cans.
Would the terrorists really plant that many bombs without ever detonating any?

Trash cans get emptied once a week or so, so you're only going to hide a bomb in them if you want to blow something up soon.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:30 pm

I like this issue, A LOT. IT could prbably lead to an issue of the consequeces of having no bins. But option 2, wjy would cleaners be put out of the job? They would still need to clean. Toilets, benches, floors etc. don't clean themselves. Also, wouldn't someone need to pick up all the litter created by taking away garbage bins? If anything, it will make their lives a lot more difficult
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

A Humanist Prognostication
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Prognostication » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:[desc] Last night, cleaners working in @@CAPITAL@@ Central Train Station discovered a bomb hidden in one of its many dustbins. Following this shocking discovery, a sweep of the capital was conducted, and illegal weapons and explosive devices were found to be concealed in a large number of trash cans.

Trash cans get emptied once a week or so, do you're only going to hide a bomb in them if you want to blow something up soon.

I can see how planting a bunch of bombs around town to be intentionally discovered and disarmed, as a sorts of "see what I could have done if I really wanted to," might be even more terrorizing than an actual explosion.

Of course, the [desc] should be suitably updated if this was the intended set-up.
Last edited by A Humanist Prognostication on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whole world is just made of people who didn't kill themselves today. That's who's here. It's all of us who went 'ok, fuck it, I'll keep doing it.' -- Louis C.K.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Trotterdam wrote:

Trash cans get emptied once a week or so, do you're only going to hide a bomb in them if you want to blow something up soon

But garbage bins have SUCCESFULLY been used to hide bombs atleast once, so it's a very real possibility/

ACTUALLY: After a quick Google search of "trash can bombings" it happens often enough fto actually warrant governments to fear it and take away garbage bins. This is actually happening now in real life. It's not even a case of "in the unlikely event of", it actually happens. Garbage bins have been used as place to detonate bombs frequently enough to warrant concern (seriously, Google trash can bombings)
\
For this reason, Sydney's underground train stations have clear garbage bins, which, is an obvious solution, but you know, obvious solutions and govenments don't mix (Except in the situation, where the railways are govt. owned). Which probably is why they're taking more and more bins away.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Progress update 1:

*Added line about panicking citizens in [desc]
*Edited some effects
*Cleaner is now a bin cleaner
*Corrected some spelling errors
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:Progress update 1:

*Edited some effects

Ha? Who hires someone to clean just bins but nothing else. Also, like I said, either way, they would be used to clean litter. But clear garbage bins are the OBVIOUS solution, why WOULDN'T you pick it?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Progress update 1:

*Edited some effects

Ha? Who hires someone to clean just bins but nothing else. Also, like I said, either way, they would be used to clean litter. But clear garbage bins are the OBVIOUS solution, why WOULDN'T you pick it?

https://dot-job-descriptions.careerplan ... LEANER.cfm

Option 1 is a LKY-style policy. And nations really do this.
Option 2 is completely sensible, but doesn't provide citizens with the impression of security they desire. (some citizens would like to see patrolling officers, not cleaners armed with brooms and dustpans)
Option 3 is rather ridiculous, and all issues need one of those.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Australian Republic, please respond to what I actually said.
Australian Republic wrote:Trash cans get emptied once a week or so, so you're only going to hide a bomb in them if you want to blow something up soon.
I am fairly sure my one-letter typo was not the source of confusion.

Yes, terrorists do hide bombs in trash cans. They do so when they want to actually blow up something near that trash can in the very near future, not just as a way to stash their equipment for later retrieval like some kind of buried pirate treasure.

The draft's premise, of there being a large number of explosives hidden all over many trash cans in @@CAPITAL@@, would only make sense if the terrorists were planning a massive, superbly-organized coordinated multiple attack today, which only barely failed due to being detected in the nick of time.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Australian Republic, please respond to what I actually said.
Australian Republic wrote:Trash cans get emptied once a week or so, so you're only going to hide a bomb in them if you want to blow something up soon.
I am fairly sure my one-letter typo was not the source of confusion.

Yes, terrorists do hide bombs in trash cans. They do so when they want to actually blow up something near that trash can in the very near future, not just as a way to stash their equipment for later retrieval like some kind of buried pirate treasure.

The draft's premise, of there being a large number of explosives hidden all over many trash cans in @@CAPITAL@@, would only make sense if the terrorists were planning a massive, superbly-organized coordinated multiple attack today, which only barely failed due to being detected in the nick of time.

This was in the city's biggest train station, which is a big deal if a single bomb went off. But they could be bombing some big government or corporate meeting

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:12 am

Progress update 2:

*Further changes to the description were made to clarify the severity of the current situation at hand
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:42 am

A Humanist Prognostication wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Would the terrorists really plant that many bombs without ever detonating any?

Trash cans get emptied once a week or so, do you're only going to hide a bomb in them if you want to blow something up soon.

I can see how planting a bunch of bombs around town to be intentionally discovered and disarmed, as a sorts of "see what I could have done if I really wanted to," might be even more terrorizing than an actual explosion.

Of course, the [desc] should be suitably updated if this was the intended set-up.

Or it could just be a really idiotic terrorist/s

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:40 am

Can I submit this?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Katalaysia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Katalaysia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:27 am

I'd wait another week. I consider 2 weeks minimum to be a rule of thumb for how long to wait before submission.
Uses Nationstates Stats, except for population. Assume around 100,000-120,000 people.
Slight PMT. Uses forcefields and slightly more advanced robots, but otherwise MT.
Please inform me if I make any mistakes! I'm quite new to this, and don't really follow politics otherwise, so any help is appreciated!
Author of "Shh, Spoilers!" and "Plug In and Play"

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Katalaysia wrote:I'd wait another week. I consider 2 weeks minimum to be a rule of thumb for how long to wait before submission.

Alright.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Bin cleaners wouldn't be put out of the job, they would just become litter cleaners, which would make their job a lot harder

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:10 am

Update 3:

*Binned the bin cleaner idea. It's now just the cleaner complaining about all the extra work that has to be done.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:46 am

EPA=/= Cleaners

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Australian Republic wrote:EPA=/= Cleaners

But the cleaners are hired under the EPA... ...

Well, alright, I'll change the effects for that option.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:EPA=/= Cleaners

But the cleaners are hired under the EPA... ...

Well, alright, I'll change the effects for that option.

No, cleaners are hired by the company

Belinos
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Belinos » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:20 am

What's EPA?

Anyway, this issue seems too Americentric. In my country, only stores tend to have trash bins. And they're usually kept locked.

Public trash cans are of the type that makes it impossible to get anything out of them without proper tools. Because they're metal, and the receptacle is so small that you couldn't fit your hand in them. Even if you managed to cram in a pistol somehow..
Last edited by Belinos on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:04 am

Belinos wrote:What's EPA?

Anyway, this issue seems too Americentric. In my country, only stores tend to have trash bins. And they're usually kept locked.

Public trash cans are of the type that makes it impossible to get anything out of them without proper tools. Because they're metal, and the receptacle is so small that you couldn't fit your hand in them. Even if you managed to cram in a pistol somehow..

This is based on a debate in Singapore a long while back, but... ... okay.

And besides, it's set in your capital, which should be sufficiently built up to have public dustbins.

Not all of them are entirely metal, and the bins that are in ulu places wouldn't be searched frequently, and the holes of the average dumpster, wastebin or trash can should be large enough to fit your whole arm through. (While admittedly looking a bit suspicious).
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:11 am

Anyway, this issue seems too Americentric. .

You do know that Singapore no. 2 is actually from Singapore right? I don't even know whether or not he/she has even been toAmerica

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Australian Republic wrote:

Anyway, this issue seems too Americentric. .

You do know that Singapore no. 2 is actually from Singapore right? I don't even know whether or not he/she has even been toAmerica

Yeah, I've never left Asia at any point in time.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:28 am

Option 3. Wait? Are they bombs or guns?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?