NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] World Assembly Agreement on Labor

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Draft] World Assembly Agreement on Labor

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Category: Free Trade | Strength: Strong | Proposed by: Sciongrad

The General Assembly,

Recognizing the right to make a living for oneself as a fundamental right that should be enjoyed by all people,

Acknowledging the role economic linkage has in fostering goodwill, peace, and cooperation between nations,

Mindful that economic growth and development are among its priorities, and,

Noting that the free movement of labor is conducive to these ends,

1. Declares that any citizen of a member nation shall have the right to seek and enjoy temporary or permanent employment in any other member nation, subject to any reasonable regulations applicable to national workers; this provision specifically excludes training, education, or certification processes beyond what a reasonable nation may deem necessary for a particular job;

2. Grants all citizens of member nations employed in other member nations the right to physically remain in that member nation while they are employed or actively seeking employment; member nations shall reserve the right to deport foreign nationals, regardless of their employment status, only if those foreign nationals have committed serious crimes for which an average citizen of that country would be punished with a similar level of severity;

3. Further declares that no citizen of a member nation seeking employment in another member nation shall face discrimination in hiring, termination, wages, or any other aspect of employment on the grounds of their national status -- this shall include language proficiency, which shall not be a requirement for employment beyond what is reasonable for that particular job; nor shall such individuals be detained, deported, or otherwise unduly hindered while seeking and gaining employment in another member nation;

4. Permits member nations to deny entry to citizens of other member nations on the grounds of public health or national security, provided that these determinations are made on a case-by-case basis and that the grounds on which entry is denied are substantial and convincing;

5. Establishes the World Assembly Labor and Employment Commission, whose responsibilities and powers shall include the following:

1. To liaise with the relevant agencies of member nations to create standards by which foreign licensing, certification, and educational achievement can be transferred and recognized domestically, so as to ensure that qualified citizens are not denied employment;
  2. To assist member nations in coordinating public welfare programs, health insurance systems or public health coverage, labor laws and other rights conferred on workers; the coordinated frameworks established through this process shall not be legally binding, but all member nations are encouraged to cooperate in establishing and ultimately work towards adopting them
  3. To assist trade unions and individual workers in understanding member states' labor laws, including mass publication of such regulations for potential immigrants; and in translating organizational materials, pamphlets, and other union publications into other languages for the benefit of migrant workers.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Fairburn: Should this pass, we shall hold a referendum on SOGexit.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Federated Kingdom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:39 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: Should this pass, we shall hold a referendum on SOGexit.

"Hear, hear. The use of 'labor' is abhorrent and deplorable."
U N I T E DK I N G D O M S
of
???, ???, ???, & ???

?
?
?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Federated Kingdom wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: Should this pass, we shall hold a referendum on SOGexit.

Fairburn: In addition to this, I demand proof that this is an "agreement", because I don't want to sit through piles of economics papers again. One incomprehensible technical argument and it's immediate opposition to this proposal.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:45 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Federated Kingdom wrote:

Fairburn: In addition to this, I demand proof that this is an "agreement", because I don't want to sit through piles of economics papers again. One incomprehensible technical argument and it's immediate opposition to this proposal.

"Well, if it passes, it'll be an agreement, won't it?" Ricardo joked, poking Fairburn in the ribs probably a few too many times.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: In addition to this, I demand proof that this is an "agreement", because I don't want to sit through piles of economics papers again. One incomprehensible technical argument and it's immediate opposition to this proposal.

"Well, if it passes, it'll be an agreement, won't it?" Ricardo joked, poking Fairburn in the ribs probably a few too many times.

Fairburn: Fair enough, and please stop poking me in the ribs. They're weak enough as it is due to all those defenestrations.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 pm

NORTH: We think that there are large-scale benefits to the free movement of labour in productivity terms and in income terms.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:51 pm

No.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:NORTH: We think that there are large-scale benefits to the free movement of labour in productivity terms and in income terms.

Fairburn: Think of all the money we are providing to the WA when we could use it to invest in our healthcare system! SOGexit means SOGexit!

Aclion wrote:No.

Fairburn: Our Delegation appreciates your convincing and insightful argument.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: Think of all the money we are providing to the WA when we could use it to invest in our healthcare system! SOGexit means SOGexit!

"300 million quid a week is being spent on bureaucrats regulating what cake we can eat! This money should be going to the hard working peo -- no, Natalia, I'm sorry, not the spoon!"

"Can't really do much if you don't provide an argument, but I will say, as a nation that purports to support free trade, this should be a no brainer for Aclion."
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Sciongrad wrote:...
5. Establishes the World Assembly Labor and Employment Commission, whose responsibilities and powers shall include the following:

1. To liaise with the relevant agencies of member nations to create standards by which foreign licensing, certification, and educational achievement can be transferred and recognized domestically, so as to ensure that qualified citizens are not denied employment;
  2. To assist member nations in coordinating public welfare programs, health insurance systems or public health coverage, labor laws and other rights conferred on workers; the coordinated frameworks established through this process shall not be legally binding, but all member nations are encouraged to cooperate in establishing and ultimately work towards adopting them.

Steph tilts her head back and forth a few times as she finishes reading the draft.

"Not a bad start. Let's go with the most obvious hole first. We suggest the following addition:"

c. To assist trade unions and individual workers in understanding member states' labor laws,
including mass publication of such regulations for potential immigrants; and in translating organizational materials, pamphlets, and other union publications into other languages for the benefit of migrant workers.

"I have to imagine we'll have other suggestions down the line, but that was the piece most clearly lacking."
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Sciongrad wrote:

"Can't really do much if you don't provide an argument, but I will say, as a nation that purports to support free trade, this should be a no brainer for Aclion."

Before I start answer me this, how long have you been working on this proposal?
Last edited by Aclion on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Aclion wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:"Can't really do much if you don't provide an argument, but I will say, as a nation that purports to support free trade, this should be a no brainer for Aclion."

Before I start answer me this, how long have you been working on this proposal?

"This proposal is part of a larger package of proposals, which includes our proposal to gradually eliminate protectionist barriers, designed to create a WA-wide economic zone."

Ideological Bulwark #271

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Aclion wrote:Before I start answer me this, how long have you been working on this proposal?

"This proposal is part of a larger package of proposals, which includes our proposal to gradually eliminate protectionist barriers, designed to create a WA-wide economic zone."

That is an answer to a question, but not to the one I asked. I am confused as to why you responded with it.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Aclion wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:"This proposal is part of a larger package of proposals, which includes our proposal to gradually eliminate protectionist barriers, designed to create a WA-wide economic zone."

That is an answer to a question, but not to the one I asked. I am confused as to why you responded with it.

"In other words, this proposal has been planned for quite some time. Are you asking how many minutes went into the writing?"

Ideological Bulwark #271

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Aclion wrote:That is an answer to a question, but not to the one I asked. I am confused as to why you responded with it.

"In other words, this proposal has been planned for quite some time. Are you asking how many minutes went into the writing?"

I'm guessing months would probobly be the most appropriate unit of measurement.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Aclion wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:"In other words, this proposal has been planned for quite some time. Are you asking how many minutes went into the writing?"

I'm guessing months would probobly be the most appropriate unit of measurement.

"This proposal was written in approximately 45 minutes by Ricardo."
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Aclion wrote:I'm guessing months would probobly be the most appropriate unit of measurement.

"This proposal was written in approximately 45 minutes by Ricardo."

OOC: I mean for real.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Aclion wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:"This proposal was written in approximately 45 minutes by Ricardo."

OOC: I mean for real.

OOC: That was serious, this has been planned for a while but was written in less than an hour earlier today.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Ballpark figure: you've had this proposal planned for 4+ months. Y/N
Last edited by Aclion on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Who cares how long he's been sitting on it. One minute, 45 minutes, eight months, it doesn't matter. The quality of the proposal that is presented doesn't change.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Aclion wrote:Ballpark figure: you've had this proposal planned for 4+ months. Y/N

"No, this proposal has been planned for about a couple weeks. The anti-protectionism proposal was initially supposed to be a stand-alone resolution."

OOC: How is this germane?
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:...

2. To assist member nations in coordinating public welfare programs, health insurance systems or public health coverage, labor laws and other rights conferred on workers; the coordinated frameworks established through this process shall not be legally binding, but all member nations are encouraged to cooperate in establishing and ultimately work towards adopting them.

Steph tilts her head back and forth a few times as she finishes reading the draft.

"Not a bad start. Let's go with the most obvious hole first. We suggest the following addition:"

c. To assist trade unions and individual workers in understanding member states' labor laws,
including mass publication of such regulations for potential immigrants; and in translating organizational materials, pamphlets, and other union publications into other languages for the benefit of migrant workers.

"I have to imagine we'll have other suggestions down the line, but that was the piece most clearly lacking."

"This is an excellent suggestion which will be incorporated post haste."

Ideological Bulwark #271

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Also, who says there isn't anything left for the WA to legislate on? It is time to blaze into the land of things which are politically contentious!

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Who cares how long he's been sitting on it. One minute, 45 minutes, eight months, it doesn't matter. The quality of the proposal that is presented doesn't change.

It matters because he used his position as a moderator to block a competing resolution.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly