NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars Faction Interest?

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Are you guys interested?

Yes, I would want to see this role play come to be and partake in it.
43%
Yes, although I am not sure whether I myself will be able to be in it.
30%
Yes, although I do not care for the current setting or place within the timeline.
8%
Apathetic, a few things are holding me back.
14%
No, as I don't care for the core mechanics of the game.
3%
No, not interested at all.
3%
Other (explain in forum)
No votes

Total votes : 37

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 07, 2013
Capitalizt

Star Wars Faction Interest?

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if there was any interest in a Star Wars themed Rp, and how large said interest is. Similar to the Mass Effect Factions RP that has had multiple iterations over the past few years, I am trying to design a Star Wars Role play that takes place during the epilogue of Return of the Jedi. The primary focal point of the RP will be specifically in the Unknown Regions which allows players (you guys) to either create their own species/cultures, or allow for established species to have a well placed colony within the region.

Possible Questions:

1. What era is this?
Three to five years after the Original Trilogy. So no Old Republic Material, and a few remnants of the Clone Wars.

2. Canon or Legends?
Due to the relative lack of information on the Unknown Regions, this will allow us to draw on both materials. If there is a direct contradiction, Canon material will have precedence. Player historical divergence may begin on 19 BBY, during the onset of the Galactic Empire, as long as it does not disturb the original films.

3. What Game-play Mechanics will be implemented?
Borrowing heavily from the Mass Effect Factions formula, the well established planetary economy will be returning along with newer mechanics such as the exploration, espionage, and research with a few minor tweaks. Espionage will receive a major update to streamline it as well as exploration will be updated to be more dangerous and less profitable.

New mechanics for this RP will be the Civics mechanic where players will choose their type of government and economy, as well as a populist meter that monitors the actions you partake and how your people will respond to it. Multiple defeats of shrinking economy for example, will very quickly weaken your support and erode the faction you have built.

4. Any Jedi or Sith?
No as the only Jedi left, according to the original films at least, was Luke and he has the boarder New Republic to worry about. Sheev and Anakin are both dead, so no Sith. However there will be units of the Force Sensitive who will be either light or dark side inclined depending on your nation.

5. Is their only planetary buildings?
No, their will be orbital and space infrastructure you can build as well.

6. Where in the Unknown Regions?
While I am currently working on a map. The basic premise will be the conquest of the New Hyperspace Lane created during the Empire that runs from end of the Outer Rim to the other through the Unknown Regions. Establishing planets not connected to the lane will severely hurt their economic productivity, while those connected can be easily blockaded or invaded.

7. What type of factions can we be?
Be whatever you want to be. There will be limits of three Imperial Remnants and one New Republic Faction, with two of those remnants serving as Warlords and the other serving Grand Admiral Thrawn. Colonies from other planets in the galaxy is encouraged so be creative and imagine a few refugee Twi'leks to the armies of Mandalore. If you want, create your own species that is taking its first step in Intergalactic politics. The only requirements for the colonists will be a history that explains their founding during Imperial Reign and the locals need a detailed explanation of their history.

Do you have any experience doing something this big?
Yes

So now I have a questions for you guys. Would you be interested in this? What can I improve or change? What would you add or want to see? No reservations as of now, but feel free to state which faction you might be interested in playing as.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Bump

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Ayyy, reporting for duty.

Austria and Bavaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Austria and Bavaria » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Interested, but using the Disney "Canon" as the primary source is a deal breaker for me.
Political: Monarchist, Integralist, National Syndicalist/Third Position, Christian Humanist.
Hobbies: Apprentice Blacksmith, Amateur Poet, and Board Gaming Fanatic.
Personal: Roman Catholic, Scots-German Southerner, North Carolinian. Deo Vindice.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Austria and Bavaria wrote:Interested, but using the Disney "Canon" as the primary source is a deal breaker for me.

Why is that a deal breaker if i may ask?

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Elerian wrote:Ayyy, reporting for duty.

Hey!

Eridanus 3
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eridanus 3 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:29 pm

It's a little early for this, but...

TAG.

Also:

1. Nice Era choice, although I'm pretty lacking when it comes to the period that immediately follows the Battle of Endor in the new canon.

2. No problems here.

3. Having done one of these myself, all's good.

4. If we can do a PoD at 19BBY, then why not? :P I jest.

5. The real question: Can I build the Citadel?

6. The excitement rises!

7. I have reservations about this. See below.

Would you be interested in this?
-Yes. Yep. Definitely. Of course. Da. Ja. Si. Oui. Yessir.

What can I improve or change?
-Personally, I'd increase the scale from just one hidey-hole in the Unknown region to the entire galaxy. Also Imperial players would have resupply routes to get reinforcements from the Core worlds, and it looks like the Rebels will be having a hard time stopping them.

So I'd make the map larger. I'd have the time set DIRECTLY after the Battle of Endor (so as to remove most of the cannon-legends controversy).

What would you add or want to see?
-A bigger map, a more in-depth naval tech/ship system, and a ground combat overhaul.

Honestly, I would defenitely prefer this to be set around the beginning of when the Rebels TV series starts (3ish years BBY), so as to give players (esp. Rebels) the chance to have their individual cells, and for Imperial players to have a solid hold over their sectors.

For example:

An Imperial player would be in control of a sector of Imperial Space, with their leadership being a Moff or Grand Moff. If we wanted to include the Imperial head at Coruscant, the Emperor would be in charge of that sector.

A Rebel player, on the other hand, would be at the helm of a single Rebel cell, or a collection of several smaller, local cells. The head of the Rebel faction would be the Yavin/Dantooine group, with Jan Dodonna and the more "famous" rebel leadership being set.

My answer as to who I would be playing depends on what the end result is. I am probably going to be an Imperial, but if you seem fond of the above idea, who knows?

In any case, looking forward to it.
Last edited by Eridanus 3 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by John Shepard Tuesday, December 7, 2185, edited 2 times

This message brought to you by Eri.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Eridanus 3 wrote:It's a little early for this, but...

TAG.

Also:

1. Nice Era choice, although I'm pretty lacking when it comes to the period that immediately follows the Battle of Endor in the new canon.

2. No problems here.

3. Having done one of these myself, all's good.

4. If we can do a PoD at 19BBY, then why not? :P I jest.

5. The real question: Can I build the Citadel?

6. The excitement rises!

7. I have reservations about this. See below.

Would you be interested in this?
-Yes. Yep. Definitely. Of course. Da. Ja. Si. Oui. Yessir.

What can I improve or change?
-Personally, I'd increase the scale from just one hidey-hole in the Unknown region to the entire galaxy. Also Imperial players would have resupply routes to get reinforcements from the Core worlds, and it looks like the Rebels will be having a hard time stopping them.

So I'd make the map larger. I'd have the time set DIRECTLY after the Battle of Endor (so as to remove most of the cannon-legends controversy).

What would you add or want to see?
-A bigger map, a more in-depth naval tech/ship system, and a ground combat overhaul.

Honestly, I would defenitely prefer this to be set around the beginning of when the Rebels TV series starts (3ish years BBY), so as to give players (esp. Rebels) the chance to have their individual cells, and for Imperial players to have a solid hold over their sectors.

For example:

An Imperial player would be in control of a sector of Imperial Space, with their leadership being a Moff or Grand Moff. If we wanted to include the Imperial head at Coruscant, the Emperor would be in charge of that sector.

A Rebel player, on the other hand, would be at the helm of a single Rebel cell, or a collection of several smaller, local cells. The head of the Rebel faction would be the Yavin/Dantooine group, with Jan Dodonna and the more "famous" rebel leadership being set.

My answer as to who I would be playing depends on what the end result is. I am probably going to be an Imperial, but if you seem fond of the above idea, who knows?

In any case, looking forward to it.

1. The issue with the having the whole galaxy is that their is MILLIONS of systems from the Core Worlds to Wild Space, it would be a logisitcal nightmare. What would we use as a standard production unit, a cluster?

2.The issue with that is that it gives the Imperials a large advantage as this rp has a large focus on production and industry and having cells across the galaxy would give them a large disadvantage.

3.I plan to over hall the naval system, but tpwhats the issue with ground forces?

4.I have never scene Rebels, beside the Thrawn and Vader scenes, what is in that era that attracts you?

5.Thats a nice idea, but I wonder once again how logisitcs would work.

Thanks for the support!

Eridanus 3
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eridanus 3 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:54 pm

North America Inc wrote:1. The issue with the having the whole galaxy is that their is MILLIONS of systems from the Core Worlds to Wild Space, it would be a logisitcal nightmare. What would we use as a standard production unit, a cluster?

2.The issue with that is that it gives the Imperials a large advantage as this rp has a large focus on production and industry and having cells across the galaxy would give them a large disadvantage.

3.I plan to over hall the naval system, but tpwhats the issue with ground forces?

4.I have never scene Rebels, beside the Thrawn and Vader scenes, what is in that era that attracts you?

Thanks for the support!

1. Planets still. I've done it before and made it work fairly well.

2. And the issue otherwise is that we would then be dealing with the Imperials for reasons unexplained not being able to access their Core shipyards, and the massive economic powerhouses more central to galactic operations. It isn't a disadvantage if you focus on having the Rebels be, well, Rebels. Sneak around, raid supply lines, attack targets of opportunity. Know what battles you can and cannot win.

3. There never was a lot of diversity as far as ground combat goes. Plus, the Star Wars universe gives armor an increased role, and armored units aren't always walkers, etc. There also is the question of fitting in the Stormtrooper Corps within the system. Basically, there are a few gaps that, while not a problem in Mass Effect, could be an issue here.

4. There isn't much confusion about what is going on. The Empire is strong, the Rebellion is gaining steam, and the manner in which the GGW is fought is clearly defined. Personally, there is more to go on, in my opinion. I'm also a fan of the increased number of possibilities for the success and failure of both sides. That time period is when the war could be won or lost by either side.

5. The logistics would be fairly simple, as they wouldn't need to really be handled. There would be no need to share credits or anything like that. The main thing would be an established chain of command, which is crucial, so that if one faction of a certain alliance needed something, they could request it from a fellow faction. I.e: If a was an Imperial faction, and I determined a need for more light patrol craft in order to find a particularly elusive Rebel cell, I would pass the request on to a fellow Imperial faction, where my request would be confirmed or denied.

Were I to complicate things, I would have it so that the Coruscant/ Core Oversector would be able to directly take units from any subordinate group, and assign them where they saw fit (since they would be the Emperor himself). The Rebels, on the other hand, could only ask for support between each individual cell, and only cells that they are aware of.

If that were the case, then the Imperials would have a -%50 effectiveness debuff to every ship that was from another sector. The Rebels, on the other hand, would not receive any penalties for transferring units.

That's just one example of something you could do with such a tiered system. There are no doubt many more options.

Last edited by John Shepard Tuesday, December 7, 2185, edited 2 times

This message brought to you by Eri.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Eridanus 3 wrote:
North America Inc wrote:1. The issue with the having the whole galaxy is that their is MILLIONS of systems from the Core Worlds to Wild Space, it would be a logisitcal nightmare. What would we use as a standard production unit, a cluster?

Thanks for the support!

1. Planets still. I've done it before and made it work fairly well.

2. And the issue otherwise is that we would then be dealing with the Imperials for reasons unexplained not being able to access their Core shipyards, and the massive economic powerhouses more central to galactic operations. It isn't a disadvantage if you focus on having the Rebels be, well, Rebels. Sneak around, raid supply lines, attack targets of opportunity. Know what battles you can and cannot win.

3. There never was a lot of diversity as far as ground combat goes. Plus, the Star Wars universe gives armor an increased role, and armored units aren't always walkers, etc. There also is the question of fitting in the Stormtrooper Corps within the system. Basically, there are a few gaps that, while not a problem in Mass Effect, could be an issue here.

4. There isn't much confusion about what is going on. The Empire is strong, the Rebellion is gaining steam, and the manner in which the GGW is fought is clearly defined. Personally, there is more to go on, in my opinion. I'm also a fan of the increased number of possibilities for the success and failure of both sides. That time period is when the war could be won or lost by either side.

5. The logistics would be fairly simple, as they wouldn't need to really be handled. There would be no need to share credits or anything like that. The main thing would be an established chain of command, which is crucial, so that if one faction of a certain alliance needed something, they could request it from a fellow faction. I.e: If a was an Imperial faction, and I determined a need for more light patrol craft in order to find a particularly elusive Rebel cell, I would pass the request on to a fellow Imperial faction, where my request would be confirmed or denied.

Were I to complicate things, I would have it so that the Coruscant/ Core Oversector would be able to directly take units from any subordinate group, and assign them where they saw fit (since they would be the Emperor himself). The Rebels, on the other hand, could only ask for support between each individual cell, and only cells that they are aware of.

If that were the case, then the Imperials would have a -%50 effectiveness debuff to every ship that was from another sector. The Rebels, on the other hand, would not receive any penalties for transferring units.

That's just one example of something you could do with such a tiered system. There are no doubt many more options.

1. How then do we decide which planets can be chosen and which can not? Having a whole galaxy would only create the feeling of 'smallness' as an Empire that has MILLIONS of planets under its control, only ever focuses on quiet a few of them. Using a planetary system in a galaxy system would not translate well, especially if I need to to do planetary classification for each one.

2. It can easily explain that due to the bickering of the remaining Moffs and failure of Continuity of Government to be enacted, that regions have fallen into a loose federation of supposed Imperial States, years after Endor. Similar to the Roman Empire, most far away from Central Command have little support or allegiance to the leadership while the actual government is to busy preventing Republic Advances to the Core Worlds and their own power to give adequate help to the backwater Unknown Regions. It would make perfect sense for Thrawn not to have outside support in the Unknown Regions, which is exactly what happened in Legends.

3. Armor was to be divided between APCs, Hover-Tanks, and Walkers each with their own Light and Heavy variations. Storm-trooper corp can easily replace the Marine and Special Operations slot we have, although in practice I don't know why, as even the source material constantly presents the Stormtroopers as the only forces fielded by the Imperial Army.

4. Then the focus of the Rp would shift classic war games with defensive lines and politics to simply crush the insurgents. Esponiage would be the main mechanic of the game, and rebels would need a consistent footing in Imperial held lands. There would be no great battles or space battles as the Rebels would be steamrolled by Imperial players in order to destroy their infrastructure. I know what you mean, but a focus on a time when there is a more consistent division of power is needed. This is a power fantasy and rebel players will leave if denied that.

5. The logistics being I mean is that we would have too options with a galaxy spanning RP: one if we have it where only a few planets produce materials similar to what we had in ME, it would feel odd as in canon the EMpire has all of those systems under its control. Why is it only using 3 to 4 planets per players to produce wealth, when they have millions of others. Or we can have it where each players has dozens of planets, but that quickly turns into a logistical nightmare, which served to ultimately hamper ME as well.

New United States of Columbia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:37 pm

I am interested. May I join?
http://i.imgur.com/l5GAwrs.jpg
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:40 pm

New United States of Columbia wrote:I am interested. May I join?

Sure, what do you think of the setting?

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:45 pm

North America Inc wrote:
New United States of Columbia wrote:I am interested. May I join?

Sure, what do you think of the setting?

I'm thinking it could be set around 1 ABY so the GCW is in full swing and it's more iffy who's gonna win (if our factions play any part) but, other than that, perfectly fine.
_[' ]_

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 pm

New United States of Columbia wrote:
North America Inc wrote:Sure, what do you think of the setting?

I'm thinking it could be set around 1 ABY so the GCW is in full swing and it's more iffy who's gonna win (if our factions play any part) but, other than that, perfectly fine.

The issue with using the immediate beginning of the GCW is that the Empire would have a distinct advantage as production is a much large factor here, then lets say the films.

The Imperial Regions of Commerce
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Imperial Regions of Commerce » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:48 pm

no disney canon plox

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Tag.

I'm a bit hesitant to join because I know almost nothing of Star Wars canon.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 pm

The Imperial Regions of Commerce wrote:no disney canon plox

Plox?

Also can someone explain to me the issue with canon? For the longest time before the Disney acquisition I remember Legends being regarded as a cluster of fan wank, mary sues, power creep, and fan calculations.

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Plzen wrote:Tag.

I'm a bit hesitant to join because I know almost nothing of Star Wars canon.

Well feel free to make your own species then, Plez! Also is this like the third time you've joined one of my rps with little background knowledge?

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:01 pm

I guess the reason people hate the Disney canon was it basically tossing out original and deep work only to replace it with cheep versions of that former canon.

Also before I post my faction is there anything you want to know? Any rules to follow like hard numbers of x (factories/ships/armies/tanks/etc.)?
_[' ]_

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:01 pm

tag

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 pm

New United States of Columbia wrote:I guess the reason people hate the Disney canon was it basically tossing out original and deep work only to replace it with cheep versions of that former canon.

Also before I post my faction is there anything you want to know? Any rules to follow like hard numbers of x (factories/ships/armies/tanks/etc.)?

Can you post the TG with the species description again?

There will be a shop style for beginning units like what there was in Mass Effect, so no hard numbers as of now.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:20 pm

North America Inc wrote:Can you post the TG with the species description again?

There will be a shop style for beginning units like what there was in Mass Effect, so no hard numbers as of now.

It's a reptilian warrior race. Very old fashioned/primitive by Star Wars standards but still advanced enough to have hologram communicators and blasters. They're from a temperate world that's still growing but also fighting a slaver band that they are currently in a stalemate with them. They're a patriarchal, religious group who deeply value their gods and goddesses and despise foreigners (and considering who their current foreign group is...). Currently I'm thinking their religion revolves around some form of Dragon Worship and their archetectual style and fashion would be sort of Medieval/Colonial. I'm thinking they'd have several cities spread across the planet where their factories are producing most of these guns and armor and the rest are mostly small cities/large towns ruled by feudal kings serving under the High King.
Not much but maybe we could go back and forth?
_[' ]_

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:22 pm

North America Inc wrote:Can you post the TG with the species description again?

It's a reptilian warrior race. Very old fashioned/primitive by Star Wars standards but still advanced enough to have hologram communicators and blasters. They're from a temperate world that's still growing but also fighting a slaver band that they are currently in a stalemate with them. They're a patriarchal, religious group who deeply value their gods and goddesses and despise foreigners (and considering who their current foreign group is...). Currently I'm thinking their religion revolves around some form of Dragon Worship and their archetectual style and fashion would be sort of Medieval/Colonial. I'm thinking they'd have several cities spread across the planet where their factories are producing most of these guns and armor and the rest are mostly small cities/large towns ruled by feudal kings serving under the High King.

That's an interesting idea, but how do you plan to translate that to the intergalactic scene?

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:24 pm

North America Inc wrote:
New United States of Columbia wrote:It's a reptilian warrior race. Very old fashioned/primitive by Star Wars standards but still advanced enough to have hologram communicators and blasters. They're from a temperate world that's still growing but also fighting a slaver band that they are currently in a stalemate with them. They're a patriarchal, religious group who deeply value their gods and goddesses and despise foreigners (and considering who their current foreign group is...). Currently I'm thinking their religion revolves around some form of Dragon Worship and their archetectual style and fashion would be sort of Medieval/Colonial. I'm thinking they'd have several cities spread across the planet where their factories are producing most of these guns and armor and the rest are mostly small cities/large towns ruled by feudal kings serving under the High King.

That's an interesting idea, but how do you plan to translate that to the intergalactic scene?

They succeed in the fight against the slavers, sneak aboard some of their starships, take over, and chase them back to their home world/space station to finish them off for good before staking the ships to a nearby faction to get help figuring out how the fire lands they work and how to make some of their own. From there... who knows.
_[' ]_

North America Inc
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm

North America Inc wrote:That's an interesting idea, but how do you plan to translate that to the intergalactic scene?

They succeed in the fight against the slavers, sneak aboard some of their starships, take over, and chase them back to their home world/space station to finish them off for good before staking the ships to a nearby faction to get help figuring out how the fire lands they work and how to make some of their own. From there... who knows.

So on their own, whats is their tech level?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse