NATION

PASSWORD

Do Men and Boys Need Re-education?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is masculinity toxic?

No. Men have worked at trying to be better husbands, fathers and friends. Masculinity is good.
33%
No. Traditional masculinity is good in many ways.
20%
No. However masculinity is a wide ranging rainbow of possibilities
32%
Yes. Masculinity as traditionally conceived causes violence and towards both women and men
8%
Yes. However masculinity is a complex subject. (please explain in post)
3%
Other. (pleae explain in post)
4%

Total votes : 406

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:36 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Well, I wouldn't knock the rainbow of spectrum approach of masculinity as non-beneficial in and of itself.

Why does there need to be a rainbow spectrum for masculinity?

It is a rather good model to keep in mind because masculinity is defined in so many different ways.

Masculinity isn't like LGBT or autism. You can't just throw it on a spectrum and expect it to be considered legitimate.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Well, I wouldn't knock the rainbow of spectrum approach of masculinity as non-beneficial in and of itself.

Why does there need to be a rainbow spectrum for masculinity?

Why is your definition of masculinity more authoritative than mine if, say, my way of being masculine is more reserved than yours?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Why is your definition of masculinity more authoritative than mine if, say, my way of being masculine is more reserved than yours?

I don't have a definition. I work with what society says is masculine and what isn't.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Why is your definition of masculinity more authoritative than mine if, say, my way of being masculine is more reserved than yours?

I don't have a definition. I work with what society says is masculine and what isn't.

And what does society say is masculine, according to you?

Because where I come from, being masculine might mean something completely different from what you think masculine is. So, you know, difference in cultures does make a difference ;)

This is why pegging one, and only one, society's expectations to masculinity to all men is rather inconvenient. As a religiously raised Latino, I was raised with different expectations on how to be masculine than, perhaps, your typical New Zealander was raised. So your society's expectations of masculinity might seem to me either entirely absurd, entirely useless, or entirely inconsequential to my life.

So to presuppose that just because I am a guy we will see each other eye-to-eye on what masculinity actually is is fallacious. It presupposes I do agree with your cultural expectations, which I probably do not as someone who was raised in a different culture and in fact we may very well agree on very few things due to our particular backgrounds, and in those things we agree on we might have different reasons to think the one thing we agree on is a good thing.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:19 am

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:And what does society say is masculine, according to you?

It's not according to me. It's according to what society says. Being a man in New Zealand would mean being strong, unemotional, a lot of the times unintellectual and prone to violence. Being handy, as in being able to work with tools, fix things and be useful is also what men are supposed to be. It's akin to the Australian bushman or the American frontiersman. In that men have to be confident and dominant also fall into that, because weak and submissive men are not seen as "men".

Because where I come from, being masculine might mean something completely different from what you think masculine is. So, you know, difference in cultures does make a difference ;)

I wouldn't say there'd be this substantial difference but there would be differences. What you're suggesting is that masculinity differs on an individual level.

This is why pegging one, and only one, society's expectations to masculinity to all men is rather inconvenient. As a religiously raised Latino, I was raised with different expectations on how to be masculine than, perhaps, your typical New Zealander was raised. So your society's expectations of masculinity might seem to me either entirely absurd, entirely useless, or entirely inconsequential to my life.

I never said that it was my society that was right. What I said was that individual ideas of what masculinity is are absurd because it's not something that can just be thrown on the spectrum.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:And what does society say is masculine, according to you?

It's not according to me. It's according to what society says. Being a man in New Zealand would mean being strong, unemotional, a lot of the times unintellectual and prone to violence. Being handy, as in being able to work with tools, fix things and be useful is also what men are supposed to be. It's akin to the Australian bushman or the American frontiersman. In that men have to be confident and dominant also fall into that, because weak and submissive men are not seen as "men".

I wouldn't say there'd be this substantial difference but there would be differences. What you're suggesting is that masculinity differs on an individual level.

I never said that it was my society that was right. What I said was that individual ideas of what masculinity is are absurd because it's not something that can just be thrown on the spectrum.
What would a roman consider masculine
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 am

Kubra wrote:What would a roman consider masculine

Probably serving in the Roman legions.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:33 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Kubra wrote:What would a roman consider masculine

Probably serving in the Roman legions.
what's the good of a standard of masculinity if any pleb (literal pleb) can attain it?
I can bench 2pl8, how many Romans could do that?
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:31 am

SaintB wrote:There are courses for women like this all over the world, why not have them for men to? The number of people who are butthurt at the 'attack on masculinity' is fucking shameful. I say this as a man.

There are courses like this for women? Can you provide some examples please. Genuinely interested to see what they are like.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:09 am

Costa Fierro wrote:

This would be the biggest difference between our cultures, to be frank.

Like I said, I am a Latino raised in a religious, in addition to that I was raised in an upper-middle class household in two different cultures. My way of looking at weakness, submission, and the concepts of violence and being intelligent are very different from New Zealanders, and very different from many points of view, to be frank.

In a lot of ways, yes, your particular individual background is going to define what "masculine" means to you, and that mostly first starts with your father or some other male figure. But to say that masculinity is not defined at the individual level would be frankly absurd, considering that everyone is raised in a different way, and so everyone has a different conception of what the idea of masculinity actually is that differs either slightly, or enormously, from "society's standard".
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Gray Castles
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gray Castles » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 am

Olthar wrote:Seeing as how all of culture and society tells women not to be victims, despite that being wholly illogical, I find it entirely appropriate and necessary to tell men not to be aggressors. I'm not saying that men are inherently violent or anything, but our media and culture raises then to be entirely ignorant of what consent actually is or means. Men are raised to believe that women are prizes to be won, that they are entitled to "get the girl."

Excuse me but where have you been since Woodstock? The horse you speak of was dead and flogged to jello by the time Disney got to it, and THAT was 25 years ago.

Venerable Bede
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:09 am

Herzegovenia wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:Secularism teaches that morality is relative and a matter of personal preference, so you can't really have a clear teaching on ethics.

Well... I hate gays and am a atheist..... And pretty conervative, considering.... I think you'd think thats pretty moral, eh?

No, I do not. No political views make you moral, and hating people is wrong in the extreme, it would be more moral if yourself were a flaming, active homosexual, than for you to hate them.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 am

New Edom wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:Secularism teaches that morality is relative and a matter of personal preference, so you can't really have a clear teaching on ethics.

So in other words, you don't think it's possible to explain that stealing, rape, murder, fraud, lying, perjury, are wrong? Probably not, according to your signature, but ethics can have any basis; Christianity or another religious faith certainly help keep the origins of ethical thought simple, but it is possible for someone to lead an ethical life according to the standards of their society without reference to deity.

I think you can, but it is like explaining a particular sort of art is ugly--according to the standards of society.
Last edited by Venerable Bede on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:43 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
New Edom wrote:
So in other words, you don't think it's possible to explain that stealing, rape, murder, fraud, lying, perjury, are wrong? Probably not, according to your signature, but ethics can have any basis; Christianity or another religious faith certainly help keep the origins of ethical thought simple, but it is possible for someone to lead an ethical life according to the standards of their society without reference to deity.

I think you can, but it is like explaining a particular sort of art is ugly--according to the standards of society.

In terms of ethics? How so? I mean generally speaking murder for instance is taking a life in an unlawful way, right? That's hardly a subjective notion if you want people to be law abiding.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:45 am

New Edom wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:I think you can, but it is like explaining a particular sort of art is ugly--according to the standards of society.

In terms of ethics? How so? I mean generally speaking murder for instance is taking a life in an unlawful way, right? That's hardly a subjective notion if you want people to be law abiding.

That's law rather than ethics, but yes, you can teach that objectively. "This is the law," although that is different from saying, "this is moral."
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General