You have been selected for conscription due to the ongoing conflict in the outer rim, and the ensuing manpower shortages.
You are to report to the nearest spaceport with the paperwork included in this letter. You have 24 hours to do so. Failure to comply will result in Execution, or Wartime Capital Punishment #217.
Welcome to the Colonial Defense Force.
The year is 3146. Humanity has been at war for the past 279 years. Billions are dead, hundred of solar systems have been extinguished of all life, and a coalition of eight different species are attempting to throw off the chains of human imperialism.
We are losing.
Our only advantage is our industrial capacity, and relatively short gestation period. For every slug the enemy makes, we make twenty, for every tank, ten. For every alien dead, we have eight humans, either tank bred or drafted, to barge through the gap.
Yet we are still outnumbered. The training time of draftees is 8 seconds, their life expectancy is 32 seconds. Due to orbital bombardment, and the general tactic of not allowing any disadvantageous retreat, most KIA reports are from friendly fire. Almost 6 billion soldiers lay unidentified or MIA scattered about distant battlefields as of current.
The material situation has escalated beyond total war: full asteroids are processed, planets are detonated and processed for their ores, the ice and helium processed into fuel for capital ships and oxygen, uranium used for reactors on smaller ships, the granite and stone used for the projectiles of the CDF's caseless ammo. The technologies for countless designs have been lost in the destructive efforts of Asset Denial Teams, yet the aliens continue to achieve technological superiority.
Every alien species can use our corpses for logistical purposes, we share no DNA, so food... and morale services... are easy to supplement. The possibility of being kidnapped from your foxhole in the middle of the night to face death or worse is an entire possibility. Their biological states on their own are enough to induce illness and disease, all troopers are required to wear gas masks to prevent infection. There is still a 45% risk of viral infection due to communicable diseases.
A super-soldier program named 'The Olympian Program' was initiated 30 years ago. 1200 genetically engineered humans deployed as a breakthrough force. They made the first victory in the war for over 100 years possible, all are currently listed as actively serving on the front line. None have been seen for over a decade.
A sister project, "The Revenant Program', utilizing a fail safe system implanted into one's central nervous system to keep them fighting even after the removal of limbs, heads, or the cessation of all bodily function. Their bodies will not stop fighting until they decay fully. A 'volunteer' service, over 500000 members are currently fighting.
Numerous wartime ratifications to the United Terran Federation's constitution have been put in place, no elections have taken place in 240 years. Numerous laws have been passed to ensure victory, including Wartime Capital Punishment #217, a legal order for able bodied deserters to be mind wiped, and become biological propaganda machines, with a control chip in their skull for a crippled soldier to control them from their recovery station. It is nicknamed the 'Fleshpuppet Law'.
Shock Armies are formed from those imprisoned in cryo containment, criminals, and the mentally handicapped, they are armed with a sole ceramic chest plate and whatever they can find on the battlefield. Standard Infantry are armed with semi-automatic rifles reminiscent of early 20th century designs. Most units run out of ammo or die before automatic firearms and emplaced weapons can be delivered to their locations.
The Inner Colonies have had the media downplay the war to an insane degree, travel between the inner and outer colonies is banned, veterans are not able to return home, refugees are fighting on the front line, video messaging is banned except for high level government officials, and news of the front is lies. The general public merely sees the war as a collection of slave revolts, the soldiers given permanent changes in station, and messages of the deceased on the front are fabricated to keep everyone in line.
Welcome to the Colonial Defense Force, desertion is constituted as leaving your designated post at any time unless directly ordered to by your superior, if your superior makes a mistake, they will be executed and replaced. You, however, will remain in active service. You may never return to Terra or the inner colonies, as that would add unwanted violence by your mere presence. Service is a lifetime, and you will be in active duty until crippled beyond what cybernetics can replace or you die, whichever comes last. Officer commissions are either bought or gained through eight years of front line service, if your CO has no scars, no thousand yard stare, or no cybernetic prosthetics, they might as well be conscripts. No medals have been handed out in nearly 48 years, as the recipients die before they have a chance to obtain them.
And you have been drafted. You will be joining the ranks of the CDF 3145th Battalion, 6th Company (3MCXLV/6 CDF). With an outstanding service length of ten months, they have yet to be wiped out, and have received the unbelievable achievement of two unit commendations. They will deploy back into combat in eight days, on the outer rim planet of Hanlon XII, a tropical garden world with a very large amount of minerals key to the war effort. Currently under a eight year long siege.
No amount of luck or prayer can save you now.
- 0. OP is God, Co-Ops are Archangels. Our words are law.
- 1. No Godmodding/Meta-Gaming: This can be defined as playing your character without limitations or having your character know things they couldn't possibly know.
- 2. Don't be a dick in the OOC: You can have your character be an aggressive and smarter version of a certain political candidate in the IC. But the moment you act like a dick in the OOC thread you'll get a warning.
- 3. No One Liners: Three full lines of text per each IC post, anything less is frowned upon and is generally laziness and will not be accepted. Typically a paragraph at the least
- 4. No 'Dick measuring' contests: The moment two of you start arguing over which character is better, and it doesn't contribute to goings on in the IC. You'll both get a warning.
- 5. For the love of god keep it PG-13: This is a general site rule, and while PG-13 is a blurred line nowadays, the rules of thumb are: nothing sexually explicit, and nothing overly violent. This is a place to role play as cannon fodder, not write out deviant fantasies.
- 6. No multicolor or odd dialogue: No colored text, and no italicized/bolded/underlines paragraphs. Reserve them for actual use instead of using them for everything.
- 7. If you have a problem with a player, take it to TG. If that does not work, bring it to the OP or a CoOP's attention. Do not turn the OOC thread into chaos.
- 8. You have a 72 hour grace period to post if you're holding someone back, after that your character will be forced to move on by the OP or Co-Op. Failure to return will result in character death.
- 9. Don't just write for yourself, other want to get involved as well. I realize it's human nature, but try to involve other people's ideas, themes, and characters. A major part in RPing is having other people, don't turn them away or cast a blind eye.
- 10. Have fun!
- Ghanlan: The currently most populous of the coalition, they serve as the standard front line soldier. Just as squishy as humans, but faster, and with a height advantage. Don't expect to outrun them and getting into CQC will usually result in being trampled. Not much armor, and thankfully they don't have the best aim. They usually make the distance between firearms range and needing to use E-Tools and machetes in short order however, so take them down quick.
- Kyr: Although blind, the Kyr made decent mules before the war started, despite intelligence nearing that of pre-teen humans, they have no defined political system, remining under the command and servitude of the Hiktiir. To make up for their lack of sight, they can smell pheremones and hormones emitted by nearly every species, a trait which helped them haul the gear they were burdened with before the war. As such, they are much more common at night, when we aren't at an advantage. They are still noticable in most sircumstances, being about the size of a horse.
- Swith: Outward appearance gives the appearance of machines. However these mechanoids are truly piloted by tiny reptilians no larger than one's hand. Armor piercing rounds will make short work of them, but until then not much can be done. Expect to see them if a particularly hard point of defense needs to be broken through on the alien's side.
- Hiktiir: The last to be added to the Human empire before the slave uprisings. All we know are that they act as the leadership, and are apprently Psionic in some aspects. In excess of eleven feet and a few hundred kilograms, commanding, and notably absent from the battlefield, they are likely commanders.
- Frenlund: Hairy, smelly, and dangerous. Like most other canine species, Frenlund are mammals, and have good senses of smell, sight, and hearing. A bit larger than the average human, they are stronger and faster. Fortunately they aren't very common seeing as they like to go berserk and damage anything within fighting distance. That being said, they are priority targets when they are enraged.
- Atstayr: The Atsatyr are the most human looking of the alien coalition, rarely above 200cm in height. And based on old reports and experiments upon them, they are closer to humans emotionally and mentally as well. Were it not for the ongoing war there is no doubt that peace would want to be achieved with them, and based on deep scouts it appears they too wish to eventually end the war that doesn't push them to promote genocide.
Those are where the similarities end. Atsatyr also happen to be raised on a planet with almost no magnetosphere, leading to rather thick skin in the literal sense. Despite this they wear heavy armor, which complements their nigh bulletproof skin, and they have a very high resistance to heat and radiation. Physically they have hair ranging from jet black to a navy blue, their skin ranges from a deep blue to indigo, and their eyes -iris and sclera- range from a deep crimson to a light pink.
- Incumbus: An unholy abomination formed from multiple species, and the human's own Genome. The result is a monster that absorbs and processes the internal organs and soft tissues of a human for logistical purposes. They are very distinct, and are rarely seen on the front lines, they are also rather weak, and vulnerable to weapon's fire.
- Xin: Insectoid in appearance, they haven't been spotted since they first joined the coalition thirty years ago. Realizing the risk of letting an insectoid race propagate and use their short gestation period to their advantage, their homeplanet was deorbited into the local star as soon as was possible. They are assumed extinct. Besides their appearance and minor anatomical knowledge next to nothing is known of them.
- Delete all in parenthesis
- One Character Limit (At least at a time, you can replace dead characters)
- Your character will very likely die at some point. Don't make any mistakes.
- Code: Select all
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Picture or a very well written description)
[b]Height:[/b] (Metric AND Imperial)
[b]Weight:[/b] (Metric AND Imperial)
[b]Biography:[/b] (Feel free to make up colony names and backgrounds. Keep it within reason.)
[b]RP Examples:[/b] (If you don't have any, your character's bio will be used.)
- No Operations have as of yet been undertaken. List will be updated when operations are undertaken.
- The DJ is absent at the moment, please try again later.