NATION

PASSWORD

Perceive and Elucidate [IC|Frencoverse TC|Closed]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Zenith Foundation
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 19, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Perceive and Elucidate [IC|Frencoverse TC|Closed]

Postby The Zenith Foundation » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:50 am

Image PNC-353 EXPERIMENT DIRECTOR COGENCE-EVAL-PERS
TZF STATION AB-1 AZIMUTH, SOLAR ASTEROID BELT
JANUARY 7TH, 2125 CE

“Upon that threshold, we encroach. Anticipate not the universe entire, for precedent demonstrates such expectations are doomed to eclipse reality, and what is not empirical is merely frivolous. Nevertheless… our endeavors embody not just a prodigal bound in understanding, but that which may yet herald a paradigm shift in the nature of our understanding altog—”

*Vweeeeet! “Experiment Director Cogence-Eval-Pers, your attention is requested immediately!*”

Neuronal impulses, jarred from their dormancy by the intrusive Direct Cortical Interface Communication signal wired into his neurome, seared to frenetic vivacity through axon and synapse. Cogence-Eval-Pers, his consciousness having slowly waned to somnolence over the course of several hours deprived of rest, jolted from his inadvertent nap with a seething hiss of inhalation. Groaning, he wiped the bleary films from his earthen eyes and combed back an errant bang of dusky hair. Having long developed the habit of ignoring his internal physiometrics monitor’s admonitions for fewer violations of his circadian rhythm, the senior researcher now often found his cumulative deficit of adequate sleep involuntarily repossessed, most typically at inconvenient times. In this instance, whatever he had been unfortunate enough to doze through was important enough to warrant a DCIC message despite his explicit instructions against them.

“Ughhh, shit, I should really quit those red-eyes.” Grumbled Cogence to himself. Massaging the soreness from his neck, he sighed and responded via DCIC in turn.

“*What is it? This had better be justified.*”

“*Res Cogence, AB-1 Installation Director Resolve-Susta-Ind and his retinue are scheduled to arrive in five minutes, whom you are supposed to greet on site.*”

Cogence seized up, recollection cascading into his mind in concert with a deluge of horrified shock. His eyes flicked over to his desk, vision coming to rest upon a colon-bisected four-digit numeral splayed in azure light upon its glassy surface. 16:25. Three hours past he had last drowsily glanced upon it, and five minutes left to rectify his lapse. Acutely aware of how little time he was allotted to do so, Cogence leapt from his office chair and strode from the room to which it lent its title, tessellated-hexagon fabric of his flared coattail billowing out behind him and elastomer soles of his boots clacking upon the polished polymer flooring of his research campus. Muttering a rather creative composition of profanity under his breath, he wove his way through an assortment of corridors before coming upon his personal transport module, a prolate affair of polyvitroid curves fused onto a composite frame. Suspended above an HTSC maglev track, the pod would transport its occupant through a network of evacuated tubes with celerity and comfort… although one could always be sacrificed for the other. In this instance, Cogence opted for the former of the two, hopping into the shell with little pretense of ceremony and sealing the door. The tube in turn shuttered its airlock, vented the accumulated gas, and propelled forth both vehicle and occupant at velocities far from pleasant.

In seconds, the pod had spritzed from the confines of the capacious research facility, exiting a homogeneous stretch of tunnel illuminated only by dim luminescent strips at high speed to burst, metaphorically speaking, into the open. Even as Cogence queasily clung to his seat, stomach still churning from the snap acceleration, he could hardly help but marvel once more at the spectacle that greeted him. Stretching out before him, the vast tubular cavity that was Station AB-1, “Azimuth”, loomed in its hybrid technological and aesthetic splendor. The dull-silvery swathes and angles of Foundation laboratories and institutes, domiciles and fora, speckled as they were with blinking lights innumerable and interspersed with paths and rows of assiduously cultivated vegetation, encrusted the inner circumference of the cylinder. Some 3 kilometers in diameter and another 24 in length, the centripetal confines of Azimuth station had been hollowed out from an inconspicuous asteroid drifting unobtrusively along with its brethren beyond counting in the Solar Asteroid Belt, its location chosen for its surreptitious nature; some of the Zenith Foundation’s most secretive experiments were conducted here, in isolation nearly absolute. Rotating at a cozy period of once every 77 seconds and supplied with simulated sunlight from a concentric hemicylindrical irradiance pipe, Azimuth provided its occupants with all the amenities of Earth in self-sustaining perpetuity.

As it were, Cogence had neither the opportunity nor the inclination to gawk at the scenery for long, even if his reclusive and workaholic habits oft precluded him from witnessing it. His transport was coming upon one of the far ends of the great tube, to a broad swath of pavement where passengers and cargo entered the atmosphere-endowed portion of Azimuth after running through the adjacent transition-cosmodrome. Slowing to a halt with yet another nauseating lurch, Cogence’ pod slid into the disembarkment lane beside the loading zone, soon disgorging the frazzled man as he stumbled ignominiously from the shell’s interior. Already, a small crowd occupied the spaceport square, some in anticipation of the Installation Director’s arrival, and most others for reasons completely tangential. His ocular implants indicating that mere seconds remained until the notoriously punctual Resolve-Susta-Ind and his entourage walked through the spaceport’s entrance doors, Cogence hastily regained his footing and began to jog at a pace just fast enough not to seem desperate.

Just as he crossed half the square’s length, the double-doors separating the cosmodrome terminal’s interior from the “outside” world split along their vertical center and slid aside with nary a whirr. Trailed by half a dozen faceless Foundation Martial Corps security officers and flanked by two pleasingly familiar figures, Resolve-Susta-Ind emerged into the synthetic sunlight. Cogence immediately slowed his pace to a brisk, businesslike trot, so as to give the impression of contrived perfect timing, as opposed to fortuitous near-tardiness. Striding up to the nine with the scrupulously formulated air of a Zenith Foundation researcher, and one with a senior position despite ostensible relative youth no less, Cogence smiled cordially and gave a respectful nod of his head as a gesture of welcome.

“Welcome back, Ad Resolve. Your return was long anticipated.”

Cogence’s elder colleague cocked his head ever so slightly, his stolid eyes exhibiting hardly a flicker beneath their prominent brows. Small silver nodules bearing little blue lights sat on his temples and beneath his ears, while an intricate assembly of biomechatronic components beneath a flexible shell of interleaved alloy plates stretched from the base of his skull downward, disappearing beneath his clothing.

“Mmm, is that so?”

Resolve then cast his even gaze all around the cavernous stretch of artificial landscape.

“All is going well, I presume?”

Cogence smirked, absentmindedly smoothing some of the creases from his coat lapel, where the Zenith Foundation’s insignia, a geometric dart superimposed inside a hexagon, glimmered proudly.

“You knew the answer to that better than I ever did the moment you entered the signal enclosure.”

In reaction to this minor instance of lip, Resolve gave naught but a blink.

“Indeed…”

The senior administrator’s eyes narrowed, taking upon themselves an unnervingly piercing quality as his vision met Cogence’s.

“…and yet it seldom harms to observe such introductory formalities when the circumstances permit. Of course, it is well within our technological capacity and respectably within range of our social capacity to do away with such trivialities. Candor, albeit of the sarcastic sort, seems to be your modus operandi. Perhaps, if you so disdain them, I could do you the favor of interacting in only the most efficient manners possible? I do recall your love for DCIC, after all.”

For a moment, Cogence stood in stunned incredulity… to be remedied seconds later when he spotted the slightest hint of a grin tugging at the man’s lips. Half scoffing, half sighing in relief, Cogence shook his head and chuckled.

“Dammit man, why do facetious-serious you and actual-serious you have to appear exactly the same? Rattles me every damn time.”

Resolve sniffed in the closest approximation to a laugh he had ever explicated.

“That is where the humor lies, Res Cogence. Now, enough idle chat about… nothing in particular. I have been informed that significant strides have been made on Experiment PNC-353 in my absence. A presentation on your progress would be much appreciated.”

Cogence gave another nod, contemplative this time.

“Of course, of course. Please, follow me.”

Cogence motioned towards his transport pod, to which Resolve waved a hand in negation.

“No, thank you, but I would prefer to walk for now. Even a few months in biostasis take their toll, now that any semblance of youth has left me and I have not the fortune of being as augmented as some. In any case, such will provide you with ample opportunity to visit with those whose return you genuinely anticipated.”

Resolve gestured towards the two figures at his back, another sly smirk twitching at his mouth. The first, a huge security android perhaps 23 decimeters in height, glared at Cogence through twin ocular receptors glinting ghostly blue. The researcher had already witnessed the ultra-advanced ancillary and its hefty mechatronic corpus in simulated combat, witnessed its arsenal of weapon as of now concealed, witnessed its martial capabilities both with and without them. Even given the researcher’s familiarity with the ancillary, its presence was sobering all the same. The second figure was a different story entirely; although most certainly no less a destructive force of nature on the battlefield as the accompanying android, this figure was in the form of a woman far easier on the eyes. That ostentatiously iridescent hair, those eyes that seemed always to shimmer with mischief, that perpetually smarmy, cocksure smile she wore ad infinitum. Cogence would recognize it anywhere.

“Ahhh, AB-1 Security Director Enmity-Oblit-Effic. Long time, no see.”

Enmity chortled in retort, placing a hand on her waist and raising an eyebrow. Resplendent in her crisp, immaculate officer’s uniform, stylish in its utilitarian austerity in a similar vein to all Foundation clothing, she was the picture of a poised combatant of the Zenith Foundation Martial Corps. Needless to say, however, she bore the less savoury aspects of her occupation all the same; twin pistol grips jutted from holsters on her hips, and the stock of a vicious-looking PDW betrayed the weapon’s location on a hardpoint on her lower back, a precaution past what even protocol dictated. Cogence had seen her in simulated combat as well; only the mesmerizing scale of the heavily augmented soldier’s abilities served to distract the violence-shy researcher from how abjectly gruesome it all could be.

“Likewise, Res Cogence. I’d ask if you cheated on me at while I was gone, but that’s assuming your sorry ass could ever get another.”

Cogence sniggered, turning to follow Resolve as the party now of ten leisurely strolled onto a picturesque promenade leading to the researcher’s campus.

“Oh, now that’s a little harsh, don’t you think? Besides, whose to say didn't, hmm? Surely being a Foundation researcher has to count for something, my legendary virlity notwithstanding. Now what, on the eight and all of their moons, would you do about it?”

“Hah! Well, suspending considerable disbelief, I suppose I’d first applaud what would have surely been a monumental effort on your part, then mourn for the poor girl’s tragedy in shacking up with you. As for your ”legendary virility”, if you’re referring to that one time that Terran mare started trying to get frisky with you, perhaps you really are a stu—oh, wait, no, I remember now. You ran back to the car and locked the doors."

"Hey now," protested Cogence, an exaggerated faux-wounded look on his face, "that was a very traumatic experience. Besides, you're mocking yourself as much as me; I'm your tragedy, after all."

Enmity snorted in playful derision.

"Cog, in case you haven't forgotten, I'm a soldier. Tragedy like you is a challenge I welcome."

"Oh, so I'm a welcome challenge now?" Cogence guffawed, then snapped his fingers while flicking his wrist to the air. "So much for that insult."

"Yes, a challenge to put up with."

"And yet, somehow you manage."

Enmity grinned widely, reaching over to entwine her hand in Cogence's, their gazes locked.

"Somehow."

A tender moment of salience... alas not to last a moment longer, for at the slightest hint of escalation a steely grey head suddenly thrust itself in between the flirting couple, cyan oculars gleaming bright. A synthesized voice, artificiality intentionally evident in its acerbically discordant tones, hummed from the ancillary's cranial unit.

"Excuse me, but are you two going to do this every time you see each other after more than a week? What is this... the third, no, fourth time? Please, spare us the anguish. Oh, and by the way, it is a pleasure seeing you again, Res Cogence."

Cogence bit his lip, mild vexation evident in his furrowed brow.

"Nice seeing you too, Ceekay. For a second there, I was worried I might've actually started to enjoy myself."

"Of course, Res Cogence. It is my directive to assist in any way I can."

In an effort to ameliorate the researcher’s irritation, Enmity gently placed a hand on his shoulder. We’ll talk later, her eyes seemed both to shout and whisper. Cogence nodded in return, briefly grasping her hand before letting it slip loose. Naught but a withering glance was returned to the android, however.

“Uh-huh, yeah, sure. In any case, how was Meridian? I hear there is talk of upgrading the peripheral acc—”

“Hey! You there!”

A coarsely accented voice crassly eviscerated Cogence’s sentence midway through, claiming as collateral his train of thought on the matter as well. Deep and throaty, especially when bellowed at max volume, the cry belonged to a burly, somewhat bellicose-looking hulk of a man clomping his way over to the group, traipsing through a cluster of bushes and trampling several of the delicate plants underfoot. His torso was heavily clad in layered plate power armor, tarnished to a dark, sooty gray and pockmarked with scrapes, divots, and dents. A cloak of grainy black cloth was draped from his broadly muscular shoulders, crowned with a mantle of steely gray fibers vaguely resembling fur, and a from a chain swishing around his neck dangled several large, unpolished gemstones. A great mass of hair the color of flame and rust sprouted in tangled tufts from his head and as a bushy beard from his face, piercing moss-green eyes peering belligerently from the vermillion jungle.

Enmity sighed, grumbling bloody pirates under her breath before detaching from the group and swiftly striding to meet the towering outlaw a safe distance from her less action-inclined colleagues. Trailed close behind by her six subordinate soldiers, she came upon the pirate and firmly raised her hand, palm facing him, in a signal to halt. After he failed to heed this less than palpable warning, Enmity waited until he had walked within arms’ reach and solidly planted her palm on his chest. The imposing beast of man stopped dead in his tracks, body jerking like he’d walked into a lamppost. He turned his head towards the smaller figure holding him at bay, a seemingly effortless task subtly attesting to a strength far in excess of what even her sinewy arms appeared capable of, and growled in anger.

“Stop right there, Rotmord. You can’t just barge around like you own the place, not here.”

“Move aside, little lady. I have business with the grey stiff over there,” he leaned in close enough for Enmity to catch a waft of his sour breath as he lowered his voice to a menacing hiss, “and you’re in my way.”

“Yes, and soon your face will be in the way of my fist if you don’t tell me what the hell you’re doing here.”

“I don’t have to tell a fucking ziff like you jack shit if I don’t wa—”

“That’s quite enough, you two.” Resolve’s authoritative command cut short their little feud, drawing the attention of everyone present by habit. “Sol Enmity, let him approach. I know why he’s here, and what he’s here for.”

“Yes, administrator.”

Enmity curtly acknowledged the command, giving Rotmord a shove imperceptible to the inattentive eye before dropping her hand. In response, the pirate roughly shouldered her aside then spat at her feet, leaving her to sneer and fume as he approached Resolve. As he neared, Cogence’s innately observant attention caught a few further details of the pirate’s constitution. His milk-pale face, as the researcher fully expected, was riven through with scar tissue in a myriad of shapes, each one a trophy of some raid or battle sustained and won. Most of his teeth had the distinctive sheen of off-market ceramic implants, save for one gleaming canine wrought from some sort of carbide cermet, whilst the few of his natural teeth that remained were chipped jagged and stained yellow. His infernal hair was greasy and uncombed, the fortunate benefactor of natural curliness that gave it a semblance of structure. Two huge, blocky firearms—Cogence would have called them SMGs were they not clearly chambered for calibers large enough to mince a rhinoceros—dangled from slings around his shoulders and chest, and peeking over his shoulder was the hilt of Rotmord’s most infamous status symbol; a gigantic thermochain-bladed greatsword. A brutal affair whose construction was the confluence of Zenith Foundation technology and garish belt-pirate aesthetics, the sword had come to symbolize the unique quasi-barbarism of Rotmord’s fleet and all the terror it entailed. Cogence found it all decidedly tasteless.

“You,” huffed Rotmord, jabbing his finger at Resolve, “you promised me that my crew would have their weapons two bloody months ago! We almost got crunched near Hygiea by an ambush while shadowing for you! And it would’ve gone a lot smoother if we had the shit you said we’d have.”

Resolve’s equanimity wavered not a hint, not even in the face of this aggressive pirate.

“Calm yourself, Rotmord. I only just returned to Azimuth from Meridian, s—”

“I don’t want your fucking excuses, I want my fucking weapons!”

“—and you shall have them, but only when we’re finished preparing them. Fortunately for you, the latest stock was completed a few days ago. Sol Enmity.”

Enmity snapped to attention.

“Yes, Ad Resolve sir?”

“Take our colleague here to the armory, and ensure he’s satisfied with the equipment we’re providing him.”

“Affirmative, administrator.”

Enmity stiffly nodded, then jerked her head in the armory’s approximate direction to signal where she and Rotmord were to head. The pirate grunted oafishly, following Enmity’s rigid military pace with his own indolent lumber. Cogence watched them both embark a transport pod, noting the displeasure on Enmity’s face at having to share such a confined space with the bandit captain and his potent odor. In a flash, the two had zoomed off towards the Martial Forces garrison, both handling the acceleration better than Cogence could ever hope to. Shaking his head, he took his side by Resolve and Ceekay as they resumed their stroll. Along stretches of picturesque pathway and through the premises of several research campi they serenely walked, and before long they had come upon Cogence’s own, one of the largest and most sophisticated of its kind on the entire station. As eminent as the facility may have been, what it harbored within was of far greater import; one of the most significant experiments conducted in the entirety of the Zenith Foundation, and indeed all of humanity. The gravitas was palpable.

The group passed the threshold of the building, stepping into its sterile white interior to be greeted by the mellow bustle of scientific, technical, and attendant personnel going about their work. Most were involved merely in the experiments and investigations auxiliary to what Cogence owed his title of Experiment Director. PreterNatural Cognition Experiment number 353. Commanding via DCIC the preparation of the primary experimentation chamber and subjects, Cogence led Resolve—as if the computationally integrated man didn’t have a nigh-instinctual knowledge of every square centimeter of his installation—onto an elevator platform, bringing the group up to the campus’ upper levels. Stepping from the lift, Cogence trotted past two sets of sliding doors and entered the primary laboratory. A vast circular room at the heart of the compound, the chamber consisted of a central columnar area teeming with equipment and the technicians tuning them, bound by two storeys of concentric looping corridors circling the chamber, glass walls on the lower level affording a clear view of the interior and a catwalk on the upper level likewise providing a direct vantage to the goings-on within.

“Welcome, Ad Resolve, to Experiment PNC-353. I can demonstrate sequentially the progress we’ve made since you departed… or perhaps I can cut to the chase and show you the end result thus far?”

“The latter, if you please, Res Cogence. I can review the compendium at a later date if need be.”

“Yes, of course. I’ll give you a brief synopsis of what we’ve determined. This way, if you please.”

Cogence gestured for Resolve to enter the center chamber from the periphery, clearing his throat and launching into presentation.

“The noofield; one of this world’s most anomalous, yet pervasive phenomena. Even with our capability of inducing, albeit with frustrating imprecision, the development of an advanced noo-based perception manifest within subjects, our understanding of the noofield and is governance of the interphysical perception manifest remains nebulous. However… I expect that the results of this experiment will begin to shed a galaxy’s worth of light upon the subject, for the stages it has progressed to touch at the metaphysical nature of knowledge itself.

The nature of the noofield itself remains cloudy, but Res Echelon’s research and the information it unearthed has proved invaluable to this experiment in particular. See, we surmise the noofield to be… how does one put it… a medium of interaction, of sorts, although that is a rank oversimplification. It is intrinsic to all that can be conceived as information, in the most basic sense of the physical concept. I have hypothesized that, because of the interphysical perception manifest present in sapient beings, information of the world in its core conception can be drawn directly from the noofield, via the interactions it mediates.”

At this point, Cogence’s voice had begun to stray from dry technicality, a manner of excitement almost juvenile seeping into his tone as his hands enthusiastically began to gesture at the air.

“If we can perfect this technique, drawing upon the noofield as a sort of universal archive of all that is, was, and will be, the implications are inconceivable! Do you see what I mean? This would fundamentally alter the very nature of knowledge and understanding itself! All that we have accomplished up to this point, all of science itself, has merely been the product of empirically observing and delineating the laws of nature, deriving a posteriori our understanding merely from proximate evidence. Shadows and fossils, compared to this.”

His eyes had now taken upon a luminous brilliance, sparkling like the stars entire as he lost himself in imagination.

“It is almost as if we could peer into the source code for the universe itself, transcending base observation. In science, one could ‘prove’ nothing, only support a theory to a conclusive extent. But now, we are looking at the prospect of divining truth, from its origin. Epistemology becomes a science! The pursuit of knowledge and understanding, our very reason to be, coalesced into its most elementary essence and given almost palpable form! For us, for the Zenith Foundation, it would be… Nirvana.”

For all but a moment, Cogence let linger this final word, enraptured by his visionary tangent until his vision caught the face of Resolve. Intrigued, yet also concerned. He was old and experienced enough to know when a researcher let themselves become consumed with zealous idealism for pet projects, forsaking the objectivity and scientific integrity they so treasured. Cogence was familiar enough with the phenomenon and its effects as well, as he sheepishly reminded himself.

“…of course, that all borders on the conjectural. What we have observed thus far suggests as much, but not conclusively. I… expect that many years and numerous obstacles still lie between us and this… ahm… fabled singularity. In any case, I digress. The prospects are not yet relevant.”

Resolve simply arced one of his greying eyebrows, nodding for Cogence to continue.

“…yes, right. Fascinatingly, Echelon discovered evidence to support the notion that the noofield is both ubiquitous and homogeneous across all dimensions; permeating space, time, even the Haydritch seven and Sarcoletti five with parasymmetrical perturbations. That is, noofield interactions are independent of dimensional bounds.”

“Does… that portend a psion of adequate ability being capable of...?”

Cogence grinned widely, idly watching his laboratory staff finish preparing the demonstration before scurrying off, only a few critical operating personnel remaining.

“…retrocognition? Clairvoyance? Precognition, even? Yes, or at least we hypothesize as much. Remember, in the noofield, all three are one and the same. Their distinctions are based solely on spatial and temporal vectors, to which the noofield is only parallel, non-intersecting.”

“Hmm. That predicates macroscopic nonlocality and noncausality, two principles whose overturning warrants more than supposition. Moreover, if this is true, all observed instances of noofield phenomena would appear very different. Thus far, they have shown no indication of either.”

“Ahhh, I’m glad you bring that up. As corollary hypotheses lay out, the behavior of IPMC noofield phenomena largely rests within the bounds of conventional physical laws due to the mimicking tether effect, in fact; because the physical brain eliciting those phenomena exists within the physical world, so do those phenomena. The key is manipulating the IPMC so that this close mimicry is overcome. That being said… we’ve still yet to reach a full consensus on how possible this is. Evidence for macro-nonlocality is very strong, but whether or not noo-based clairvoyance it is capable of superluminal transmission has yet to be conclusively demonstrated. Likewise, noncausality as a whole is one capability we are still very unsure of.”

“Mmmh, yes, quite curious. I can imagine Res Echelon, or especially Res Paradigm would be very interested in what this experiment is slated to reveal. Have you sent any compendium runners out yet?”

Cogence shook his head.

“Not yet. Conditions have not been favorable for transporting a compendium this sensitive, and we only have a single Photon on hand at the moment. At the earliest opportunity, it’s getting sent straight to Prime Director Cenodyne.”

“Aha, of course. Now, relating back to the experiment itself, what has been accomplished in real terms? Simply put, just what exactly can your subjects do?”

Cogence smirked, beckoning over to a small crowd of young adults quietly conversing amongst themselves, all dressed in TZF experimentation subject suits. A single member of the cohort, a comparatively diminutive young woman whose stringy brown hair was tied back into a bun, detached herself from the rest, approaching at the researcher’s behest.

“This ability to gain information from the noofield, it’s almost a sixth sense of sorts. It’s difficult to describe to those who do not possess the ability, but as one of the subjects so poetically put it, one perceives and elucidates, then enlightenment follows. Very curious. Moving on, explaining precisely what the subjects can do is difficult, since the second generation of optimization test subjects do not appear to exhibit any real pattern of variance. Some have been duds, and others prodigies, each in different respects. One of them, however, has far and above exceeded all the rest.”

The young lady halted before the two, eyes wide and hands shyly clasped.

“Ahh, yes. Subject, please inform Ad Resolve here as to your name.”

Ever so quietly, the young woman spoke, her words but a whisper in the breeze.

“Paries-012.”
Last edited by The Zenith Foundation on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where "For Science!" is our reason for literally everything.

Frencoverse Tri-Canon puppet of Vistora

Lunar Union
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunar Union » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Image LNS FRANKLYN H. CURTISS
ASTEROID BELT
MARCH 11TH, 2125

Glowing red pillars erupted from open hatches atop the nose of the Tycho-class destroyer, rapidly arresting its rotation. Large black rectangles were painted on both of the ship's sides, visually breaking up its outline, in which the numbers 201 were picked out in bold white numerals. Similarly, the ship's name adorned its nose. It fired its engines, an impossibly bright light bursting from twin nozzles.

"Target is launching missiles." A crewman to the left of the Captain's chair, from the sensors section, reported. His experience was audible in his calm tone of voice. "Six missile salvo complete, on its way now. ETA fifty-five seconds."

One of the three large screens at the front of the dimly-lit Combat Information Centre displayed the battlefield situation. At present the target was some 500 kilometers out and burning hard to evade; it had just executed a daring maneuver, swinging right past the destroyer in an effort to escape.

Two small laser turrets on the ship's nose came to life, tracking the threats whose exhaust plumes were so bright in infrared. The extreme ultraviolet beams themselves were invisible, but each of the missiles in their turn disintegrated or began to spin wildly.

"Their missiles are extremely maneuverable, Captain." Reported the sensors section.

"Copy. Propulsion, aim to intercept target, 10 kilometers final distance. Weapons, arm xaser, target engine."

The Captain leaned back in his chair, reconfiguring the four touchscreens before him to display the tactical information he would need. He had made the decision to board in that moment. The pirate vessel was already behaving unusually; something had initially driven them to buzz right through space they must have known a Lunar patrol was present in - and with a ship which was already known to the Lunar Navy as a pirate vessel, too. That something must have been overconfidence, the Captain reasoned. Their weapons seemed strangely advanced, and a crew who had survived long enough to procure such armaments should have had the good tactical sense to pick a different route.

Aft of the CIC, two squads of Lunar Espatier Corps operatives clad in their grey power armour - these particulars specialists in boarding actions - hurried to boarding pods stored midship, their belts clipped to rails on the corridor's walls as a precaution should the ship's gravity fail.

The x-ray laser - the ship's primary weapon - quickly rotated its ball turret to focus on the target, which by now had opened the distance to 600 kilometers; but alas, the destroyer's acceleration was greater and it had just crossed the point where their velocities were equal.

550 kilometers, the display on one of the captain's screen read. 500. 450.

The x-ray laser fired for the shortest of durations, but it was enough. The rear of the pirate vessel disintegrated, inducing a wild spin which the craft's remaining attitude thrusters immediately jumped to life to control, but they visibly struggled.

"LNS FRANKLYN H. CURTISS TO PIRATE VESSEL. ATTENTION PIRATE VESSEL. DISABLE YOUR WEAPONS AND PREPARE TO BE BOARDED OR YOU WILL BE FIRED UPON. ATTENTION PIRATE VESSEL..."

The destroyer swung around quickly, orienting its thrusters retrograde and burning to kill its velocity.

Dull thumps were audible against the outer hull, even over the screeching and wailing of alarms. Soon, much louder blasts reverberated through the ship, vibrating through its structure, activating several more alarms.

"They're boarding! FIND WHERE!" Somebody roared.

An airlock on the starboard side of the ship burst open, but no atmosphere vented; instead, six power armoured operatives took up positions at the exit, assuming a practiced tactical formation, weapons at the ready.

"Clear!"

One of them gestured in a certain direction, and the squad began to move. They came upon a closed door and formed a line against the adjacent wall. Its controls seemed to still be operational, despite much of the ship had evidently losing power. It opened. Something clinked loudly against the metallic grating of the floor; someone yelled briefly before a bright flash silenced them. The first espatier leaned in, underslung electrical stunner at the ready. Two men were in the room, shaken by the blast. One of them was on his knees reaching up to something; the other was holding his head. The espatier fired, reducing them to twitching messes on the ground. One-by-one, they filtered into the room with their visors fully opaque, watching the entrances attentively solely through the multitude of sensors in their helmets.

Image DIRECTOR ILIA C. NAMA'S OFFICE
HEADQUARTERS OF THE FEDERAL INTELLIGENCE DIRECTORATE, CITY OF ALDRIN, NEWTON CAPITAL TERRITORY
COPERNICUS CRATER, THE MOON
MARCH 12TH, 2125 / 161-05-30 ∇ 07:45 LUNAR STANDARD TIME

The space outside the tall window behind the Director's high-backed chair was dark. If the Director was to swivel her chair a half-turn, she would see the Earth hanging high in the celestial half-sphere, as it always did. Casting her gaze down, she would see the other surface facilities of the campus, all built in a brutalist architectural style, and the roads and walkways weaving between them.

The office was large, and built in the shape of a kite, with the shorter two edges behind the Director, though the corners were smooth and rounded. Three large windows adorned the wall behind her, one of them curved and positioned directly behind her; the other two were to the sides. All were flanked by thick white curtains, and two flags were perched in the gaps between them; one of the Union and the other was the seal of the intelligence community on a deep blue background. Both flags were gold round all four edges.

The room was illuminated by many lamps installed in the walls, their light focused primarily upward. On her desk were two more, smaller lamps, and in the spare corners there were two more tall ones. It provided enough light to comfortably work by, but didn't flood the room with it. She found that particular arrangement enjoyable.

Double doors set into the opposite wall to her opened; somebody with an earpiece approached. The Director set aside the paperwork she was occupied with and sat up to face him. Her eyes were a muted blue; her hair, black like her suit and tie, and just long enough to reach to the base of her neck. Pale fingers accepted a leather-bound document holder from the man and set it down on a large mahogany desk. He left, the doors quietly closing behind him.

FEDERAL INTELLIGENCE DIRECTOR'S MORNING BRIEFING
161-05-30 ∇ 07:45
PREPARED BY THE OFFICE OF THE FID
TOP SECRET

She leaned far back, holding the document in one hand and picking up a slender pencil-like object in the other. A dim light on one end of the object began to shine, and she put the other end to her lips before exhaling a cloud of smoke.

At some forty pages, it wasn't a lengthy document; it typically took her ten to fifteen minutes to read it, written in that regular and repetitive style she had become accustomed to and expected. The President and Vice President received similar briefings, but theirs were usually twenty pages shorter - ostensibly because intelligence was only a part of their jobs.

Today's briefing consisted of six sections. Three were routine updates on ongoing situations which were considered important enough for her personal attention; these were first.

Another puff of smoke.

'Maroon Duster' - a codename for a target, known to be a prominent commander in the "People's Liberation Army of the Belt" - had been caught up with. The operation involved a good deal of risk, but the payoff had come for the intelligence community. The target had been apprehended on Ceres some three hours previously, reportedly behind a brothel as he stepped outside to smoke a cigarette. COMINT indicated local law enforcement was unaware. So much the better, even if the government there always did turn a blind eye to their operations. He was now held at a safehouse on the planetoid, scheduled to be transported to a covert detention facility as soon as was practical. He was a 'ghost' now, as they were referred to.

All well and good. She took another deep breath from the slender object, and slowly breathed a cloud of smoke.

The fifth section was more disturbing. A small pirate vessel had been boarded carrying highly advanced weaponry - weaponry that no mere pirates could ever hope to aquire on their own. At the time of the report's writing, they appeared ready to talk, however. It made sense, she reasoned... she couldn't imagine a group of pirates - of all people - would resist when they knew that enhanced interrogation was the alternative.

Image LNOS VOLTA
STRELA STATION, IO ORBIT, JOVIAN SYSTEM

Superficially similar in appearance to a Tycho-class destroyer, the LNOS Volta had been stripped of its offensive armament. In its place sat a huge array of electronic warfare and signals intelligence equipment. The Naval Special Operations Office had high hopes for the vessel; it was an all-new proof of concept, an evolution in naval combat, commissioned at Saturn only a year ago.

Now, however, the ship sat docked at the end of a 500 meter-long 'arm' alongside three other ships as it lazily fueled its massive propellant tanks with water, glistening in the light of the distant Sun. Probably there to intimidate the Europans - for what it was worth - until an actual assignment could be found, its Captain reasoned. They had been there a day or so, though, and she welcomed the rest after a flight from Deimos.

Her First Officer returned from the lounge's coffee machine with a steaming cup. He wore the distinctive sky blue uniform of the Navy, as did the Captain. She moved to make room for him, but he sat on the couch opposite to her. He hadn't set down his cup on the coffee table before the Captain's communicator on her wrist demanded attention.

"Shit." She sighed without checking it. "I was sure we were finally gonna get a break."

Tapping its touchscreen, a larger hologram screen appeared, displaying the image of an Admiral, NSOO insignia on his arm.

"Captain Hawkins." Came a clear, somewhat monotone voice. "The NSOO has received urgent orders from the Federal Intelligence Directorate. The Volta is to be deployed immediately. You are to fly to Deimos, which several special personnel are en-route to from the Moon at this time. You will pick them up there, then proceed to the asteroid belt where your ship will be put to operational use for the first time. Two destroyers currently present elsewhere in the Jovian system will escort you. You are expected to depart Strela in two hours."

The message flickered away. Exact, detailed orders were most likely being beamed to their ship now. But they weren't fully-fueled yet; she would let the First Officer finish his coffee. Then it would be his responsibility to get all the crew to the ship as quickly as he could.

Image SOMEWHERE IN THE BELT...

A small ship burned hastily through the belt; it appeared rather unremarkable, save for its extremely high acceleration. Its crew compartment was hardly larger than an early 21st century airliner.

Somebody in a medical coat checked through the equipment kept in the rear section. Four operating beds were kept there side-by-side, separated by curtains. Robotic arms hung from the ceiling. The equipment used for rapidly attaching and decoupling standardized compartments such as this one was clearly visible on the walls, though every lever used in its operation was protected behind thick glass. On a steel table in front of him ten transparent boxes were arranged, their interiors sterilized. An ocular implant and a transmitting implant were kept inside each. Very small things - except for the thin wire anthennas - but perfectly capable.

Satisfied that all was in order, he stepped through into the midsection, a largely empty compartment with airlock doors on both sides. He pulled the door behind himself closed and moved into the forward compartment. There were some seven armed guards, and most of his six colleagues were trying to catch some sleep before they arrived. Their mission orders had come swiftly, maybe seven hours ago. This ship had been assembled in an hour, and they had only been properly briefed once en-route.

Nobody knew who had authorized or ordered this operation - that much was standard procedure - but it was evident that it had come from very high up in the intelligence community. It was somebody with the power to get things done extremely quickly, that much was obvious.

All they needed to know was that they were to operate on ten subjects and insert the implants into each. Who they were or why it was to be done was, naturally, classified information.
Last edited by Lunar Union on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberal democratic republic on the Moon in the early 22nd century. Spacefaring superpower, part of the "western world" alongside the Atlantic Federation, working hard to keep much of the solar system and Earth under our hegemony for our economic benefit. Moneyless, post-scarcity, AI-controlled command economy.
Frencoverse Luna
Fiercely socially progressive, libertarian socialist, spooky cultural marxist, trans girl!

Navisva: 2100

The Zenith Foundation
Civil Servant

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Zenith Foundation » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:09 am

JANUARY 7TH, 2125 CE

Administrator Resolve’s nerves sparked. So minuscule was his reaction and so imperceptible his resultant twitch that nobody save for himself could have possible perceived it. And yet, it had happened; the moment Resolve’s wizened gaze met that of the young lady stood before him, supposedly his subordinate by many echelons, a gelid chill nevertheless caressed his spine. Her eyes, a vivid and piercing convolution of abyssal blues and verdant greens, seemed as if they could peel skin from flesh and muscle from bone, stripping away all that obscured to gaze upon what truly lay beneath. Beautiful and haunting, whispering the truth; that she had seen, heard, felt, perceived what was beyond conception. Resolve clenched his teeth and flicked his eyes to the side in an effort to preserve the sang-froid by which he was characterized.

“Thank you, Paries-012. Res Cogence here claims you have access to a most remarkable spectrum of abilities, unprecedented amongst all.”

Paries-012 blinked, lips remaining still as she nodded in silence. Though her laconic, muted mannerisms and proclivity towards reserved, reclusive body language seemed to be the telltale signs of social timidity, her eyes once again explicated a different tale entirely; they never once averted or retreated their stare, solidly and unflinchingly assailing Cogence and Resolve alike with denuding surveillance. Tugging at the sleeve of her segmented, modular unitard, she contented herself to remain quiescent in the face of her colleagues’ uncomfortable lack of response, until a jerk of Cogence’s head notified her of his wishes for her to further enlighten. Sighing briefly, Paries-012 cleared her throat and spoke, her voice a most curious confluence of demure tranquility and resolute confidence. Slow, deliberative yet emphatic, neither timid nor forthright, but equally begging for and commanding of attention.

“Yes. I am able to… perceive what nobody else can, not even my… siblings. As Res Cogence says, it is difficult to describe, but if I focus, meditate, and block out all other sensations, I can… sense what I can only describe as the… foundations of this world. The superstructure, the space behind the walls, all that is above and below, beyond, within. From it, I can… draw the information I seek, or at least attempt to do so. My abilities are… imperfect, undoubtedly, and erratic as well, but through the noofield I have been able to glean information of that which is too small to see, or too large to make out, or too distant to resolve. Things that happened without record, things that are happening without transmission… and things that will happen. Without occurrence.”

As Paries-012 terminated her speech, Cogence gave his gesture of approval, his eternal vigilance rewarded with yet another set of behavioral observations to be compiled at a later time.

“Thank you very much, Twelve,” Cogence replied, using her somewhat colloquial nickname, “your descriptions are always appreciated. Now, if we may, I would like to give Ad Resolve a concrete demonstration of your capabilities. Go have Res Prognosis help you get set up with the Ontovariance Engine whilst Ad Resolve and I converse a little longer.”

Paries-012 responded with a tacit nod of her own, turning on her heel and trotting towards the center of the test chamber. Amidst a circle of a complex scientific machinery and instrumentation, an egg-shaped pod of polymer not entirely unlike Azimuth’s transport modules, in some places opaque and others transparent, sat partially recessed into the floor, beside which was stood a middle-aged woman clad in researcher’s garb. In the meantime, Cogence turned back to face his peer, mind still half-occupied with Paries-012, Experiment PNC-353, and a dozen other auxiliary things beside.

“The first generation of Subjects were merely two sets of clones, one male and the other female, to test the efficacy of different NBPM developmental induction methods. Conversely, this second generation of Subjects were all subjected to the same induction technique. In this instance, we are investigating any correlations between phenome—particularly the neuropsychome—and PNC capabilities. So far, our results are inconclusive, but there does, most fortunately, appear to be a rough link between intelligence and aptitude. Useful, if and when we have refined this technology to applicable viability. Paries-012 represents the apex of this correspondence, what with her being in the 98th percentile of cognitive capacity. Admittedly, it also correlates with various psychological idiosyncracies and abnormalities, but these are comparatively quite minor and rarely amount to more than… ahh… token eccentricities. Aha, it seems that Twelve is nearly ready.”

Cogence led his elder colleague past the ring of machinery, their organization rather disconcertingly resembling a circle of ritualistic standing stones surrounding a central altar that was the pod. Inside the capsule itself, Paries-012 had been hooked up to an array of little devices strung with wires, all linked to various nodes dotting her suit. A noticeably thick bundle of cabling danged from its connection point at the base of her skull, physio- and encephalometric apertures embedded deep into her neurocircuitry. Hooked up to her sternum, meanwhile, was a gas exchanger designed to suffuse her lungs with the oxygen necessary to breathe without discomfort, its necessity soon evidenced by the gushing of isogravimetric fluid into the container. If she harbored any iota of displeasure with this summary process, Paries-012 provided little indication of the fact; she seemed perfectly at ease as the bluish, slightly gelatinous substance filled up the container, gradually immersing her form entire. She let fall her eyelids once the volume had reached her face, and once she was totally submerged, she relaxed. Her body could be seen floating free, just before the capsule’s polyvitride tinted to an impenetrable black, blotting out all light within and without.

“These chambers are excellent for achieving total sensory deprivation; most of our subjects are tested under such conditions, so that they may concentrate entirely on noofield perception and filter out unwanted noise or sensory interference. I’d have preferred to achieve those conditions in microgravity, but it simply wasn’t worth attempting to move the Ontovariance Engine and all the assorted… stuff it depends on towards the axis of Azimuth. This is the next best thing by a negligible margin.”

Cogence then cleared his throat, moving over to an exogenous computer interface, where he placed his hands on either end of the smooth plate of obsidianesque glass and began to mentally manipulate the console. Words, images, and shapes flashed across the interface, controlled by naught but its user’s thoughts. Midway through his finagling with the Ontovariance Engine’s settings, he called out to the middle-aged researcher, now stood at her own console.

“Res Prognosis, what’s the synop?”

She glanced up from her own observations of a volumetric hologram of a human body, the diagram’s proportions an exact replica’s of Paries-012.

“Excellent. Her vitals are pristine, and her neuroactivity is in good order. Vasopressin levels are mildly elevated, but I would suggest against attempting to exomediate this.”

“Ahh, good to hear, good to hear. I suppose that means we’re all clear to commence?”

“Yes indeed, Res Cogence. Perceptive State has just been initiated. She’s in good enough condition to attempt some of the more strenuous exercises, if you want.”

“Nah, we’ll keep things simple and easy for now. Nudge her, and tell her we’re beginning with distal observation.”

Cogence then tilted his head towards Resolve, indicating his change in intended audience without letting his vision leave the interface.

“We communicate with the Subjects with what’s called a ‘nudge’, a direct neural contact technique not entirely different from DCIC, but in many ways subtler and less abrasive. The issue is that you cannot send complex information via nudges, which is the price paid for minimizing distraction. In turn, Twelve responds via actual high-fidelity DCIC, passing on her subjective observations and interpretations while our encephalometry equipment takes care of the more objective side.

“At the moment, we’re conducting one of the simplest and most basic experiments in noofield information derivation. One of those machines surrounding the pod is just a simple volumetric modeler, set to create various solid three-dimensional shapes. Her task is to tell us the details of the shape, despite having no ordinary methods of seeing inside the modeler. At the moment, it’s a cubical frame exactly eight cubic centimeters in volume, with a distinct arrangement of 1/16 cubic centimeter cubes inside. She describes the shape in her own words and visualizes it in her head, with both streams of information relayed here. Observe.”

Cogence manipulated the interface a little more, prompting Paries-012 to begin. A miniature avatar of Paries-012 herself, sitting stiffly upright in a lounge chair, appeared on the console interface alongside a neural map and a little model of her visualization of the shape, which matched the prototype projection perfectly. Her avatar crisply and concisely enunciated her description of the shape, also spot-on. Cogence grinned, then began to manipulate the shape, gradually making it more complex, sprinkling it with stochastic patterns and morphing it in curious ways. Paries-012 kept pace with little effort whatsoever, describing the changes as they occurred and updating her visualization so fast it was difficult to distinguish it from the prototype. Not until it became unfeasible for even vague and generalized verbal descriptions to keep up with the escalating detail did her speech cease, but the visualization continued to improve. Nevertheless, errors began to mount; her rapid visualization capacity was reaching its limits, and it too eventually ceased change. Only her encephalometric map, directly measuring the influx of information into her brain continued strong; indication that her base perception was fully capable of receiving such resolved detail in real time. Soon enough, the modeler had reached the lower bounds of the scale it was capable of, and Cogence set the shape to be dissolved in the liquid it was immersed in.

“That was the basic test for ‘clairvoyancy’, as it is sometimes called. The instruments surrounding the modeler indicate no material interactions occurring between her and the shape, demonstrating its nonlocal properties. Fascinating. I won’t show you now, but other tests have demonstrated that she’s able to resolve individual details down to the subatomic levels, at which point inherent and immutable uncertainties begin to make things fuzzy. Furthermore, because the noofield is independent of the spatial dimensions, scale and distance have no effect on resolution until quantum and/or relativistic quantities are reached. Also, there does appear to be an upper limit on the amount of information she can draw, at about 1.74 x 1034 Enstats per second. Obviously, her ability to collate and process that information falls far short of that, but it is still a very impressive rate that is several orders of magnitude above what Paries-033, our next most accomplished, has been able to draw. Now, to show you but one of the many things that can be done with that draw rate.”

His smile growing a little wider, Cogence adjusted the experiment parameters once again, the console indicating his switch to another test module.

“Over there, in another isolation container, are a variety of computational devices. Digital, quantum, neuroemulative, analogue, you name it. Here, I will be running a relatively simple program that merely creates a three-dimensional, static rendering of Azimuth to a resolution of one voxel per cubic centimeter. Rendering it will be a state-of-the-art Foundation-model binary optical processor. Baryon-mediated photointerference, to be specific. With approximately a trillion transistors per chip and a flash rate of two terahertz, it generates roughly 2 x 1024 Enstats per second, well within her draw rate margins. Obviously, she herself cannot do anything with the information she draws even if she were able to comprehend it, but that is irrelevant. In this instance, Twelve merely serves as a conduit for the data. Here.”

Cogence gave Paries-012 another nudge, directing her to begin perceiving the isolated computer chip, observing the perturbations caused by every photon interaction, trillions of times a second in a trillion different spots. Paries did not even bother attempting to tap into the inconceivable deluge of information cascading into her head, preferring to let it fizzle after the encephalometric equipment picked it up. The data stream was channeled back into the computer at whose console Cogence was stood, entering an emulator system that matched in lockstep every interference on the isolated chip. A holographic rendition of Azimuth began to manifest above the interface, a near-perfect replica of the model constructed within the processor.

“See that? That , among many other reasons, is why this experiment is being conducted in Azimuth instead of Meridian, Horizon, Vertex, or any other major installation. The value it poses to intelligence services alone is immense, and the lengths they would go to in order to secure such a technology…”

Cogence shuddered at the thought.

“The ability to peer into any computational system, completely irrespective of how many physical barriers you erect around it, is a dangerous and potent one. Granted, it’s not so easy as this one tests makes it seem; there are plenty of relatively basic techniques to attenuate the accuracy with which Twelve or somebody else as capable of her can draw the information. In this experiment, she was familiar with all variables, and was targeting one discrete source with a wholly known architecture. But… the infiltration potential is still leagues above what even cutting-edge modern technology has brought us.”

Resolve, who up to that point had dedicated a fair yet far from exhaustive portion of his attention to Cogence’s presentation, suddenly took a rapt interest in the researcher’s last statements. As a senior administrator of the Zenith Foundation, he was certainly not lacking in scientific literacy, but the heady minutiae of each and every experiment was something he left to the researchers themselves. When it began to hold relevance for the security and integrity of his installation, however, is when his concern was at its apex.

“I see. That explains why security protocol for this experiment is so stringent. If word of this were to escape the confines of Azimuth, every nation and faction with a ship to spare would be jockeying for a chunk of this experiment. An undoubtedly unpleasant scenario, one we must avoid at all costs.”

Cogence nodded his head in sober agreement, entertaining the unsavoury notions for a few moments before banishing them to a dark corner of his mind, ready to be forgotten.

“Indeed, we must. In any case, let me show you a few other remarkable feats Twelve has shown herself to be capable of.”

Image AB-1 INSTALLATION DIRECTOR RESOLVE-SUSTA-IND
MARCH 24TH, 2125 CE

As so befitted his title of administrator, Resolve often found his days wholly occupied with keeping his installation in optimal condition, ensuring that the life support systems were all in check and backed up by redundancies, that all operating facilities within Azimuth had access to all required resources, that no detectable fault in the installation’s superstructure remained unfixed for more than a given period of time, and most importantly, that the vessel and signals traffic was very carefully mediated and proportioned so as to preserve the secrecy to which Azimuth owed its very purpose. Towards that end, he received his security briefings from his Security Director, Enmity-Oblit-Effic, in person, not daring to risk transmitting potentially sensitive information over interceptable comms. In most instances, this was a largely precautionary procedure developed out of habit, for in most instances there was no manner of sensitive information to report. Not until now.

“Ad Resolve,” Enmity sharply enunciated whilst giving a crisp salute, “I have some troubling news. A fleet of ships from the Lunar Union has been identified as entering within 0.6 AU of our location, one of which appears to be a prototype SIGINT vessel packing tech advanced enough to pick us out if they get close enough and know where to look. We’ve been tracking it since it left Io, and now they’ve floated into uncomfortably close proximity with a goddamn escort in tow.”

Resolve’s eyes narrowed, confronted for the first time in a fair while by such a conundrum.

“That is… troubling, but I suggest merely engaging some deeper secrecy protocols, nothing more. This is likely nothing more than a coincidence, given the animosity between the LU and the PLAB. It’s probable that they are just attempting to root out another cell.”

Enmity shook her head, stolid attitude, military garb, and grim slash for a mouth standing in stark contrast to her pearlescent locks.

“No, sir, I’m afraid it’s more probable that they are looking for us. INSINT investigations suggest that one of the pirate groups we armed had been captured by LU forces, and now they want to know who is supplying them with tech far more advanced than they should possess. Unsurprisingly, the first thing they did was jam their fingers in our direction. The captured crew doesn’t know about us specifically, but they do know that their captains get all of their goodies from this region of the Belt, and now the LU’s on the hunt. And to make matters worse, we just received a supply run. That means the fresh exhaust of a nice big freighter is drifting around our location. To a SIGINT can like that, we might as well have put up a big flashing arrow.”

Resolve bit his lip, the quandary with which he was faced suddenly seeming a whole lot more serious. Grating his teeth in anxious thought, he glanced back up at the stationary soldier.

“Go on, Sol Enmity, say it. I know you want to.”

Internally, Enmity smirked, although not the slightest hint of such eked out.

“Indeed. With all due respect, sir, I told you so. We should never have dealt with pirates in the first place, and once we did, we should have stopped after Vasa Morash. They’re greedy, traitorous, and cowardly, and their usefulness as interference flyers has declined as we’ve roped more and more of them into the deal. Maybe a few of them will show a hint of loyalty, but most of them would and will throw us to the wolves the moment the going gets rough. I know I would if I was one of them. Now, in order to try and fix, or at least control the damage of, this damn annoyance, I suggest we beam a reinforcement request to Meridian, then sever all extraneous signals for the time being in the hopes that they miss us and leave. Put the entire installation on lockdown if need be. If they do happen to find us… well, everything past that is up to you, unless you want to fight a LUN convoy. That is something I would very much advise against.”
Last edited by The Zenith Foundation on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lunar Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunar Union » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm

NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI
NORTH AMERICA
APRIL 7TH, 2125
18:50 LOCAL TIME

The yellowing disc of the sun hung oppressively still above the treeline beyond the lake. It had driven away all the clouds which may have offered shade and its rays still struck the land, but at least it was colder now; temperatures at midday had climbed into the mid 80s though it was only April.

Nama had gotten used to the heat over many summers in her childhood, though she had been born on the Moon; her parents had always kept a connection to the remainder of her family in this corner of the world. Her line of work led her to make such outings less and less frequent until they had become rare and precious.

A mosquito buzzed by, but near everybody had learnt not to pay their noise much attention anymore despite their numbers. She raised a cold drink to her lips with her eyes closed, the brim of a sun hat only just keeping the sun out of her eyes.

And then came the loud beeping of a high priority message. Lord, why was it so impossible to take a day's break? She sat the drink on the ground and with the same stroke reached under the folding chair for her communicator, which she didn't bother to put on her wrist.

A small projector on the device displayed a screen; though the picture was hard to discern through the sun's rays, the sound was just fine.

"Director." Came the Vice Director's voice. "I apologize for the disturbance, but you asked me to alert you before taking any action. We believe that the pirates' source of weapons has finally been located. We're working on verifying it as far as we can, but it appears to be a covert facility located in the region of the Belt which we suspected."

"Understood." She spoke characteristically slowly, and with an accent descended from the region's plantations, non-rhotic with a lazy drawl. "Thanks. Contact the task force and put 'em on alert. I'll call you in an hour's time." She sighed under her breath, then called somebody else. "Have the shuttle come down to LZ Vector."

Image LNOS VOLTA
ASTEROID BELT
23,000KM FROM AZIMUTH

The CIC, much larger than one would expect to find on a destroyer, was dimly lit in red. Spaces were recessed into the floor for twenty signals intelligence and electronic warfare officers' stations, their edges illuminated with thin strips of light. Two hours ago, the task force had been ordered to assume a state of high alert - presumably while their next orders were decided upon, Hawkins reasoned.

She looked over to her First Officer, re-entering the room after downing his morning coffee.

"It could be an empty warehouse, you know." He remarked in a deep voice, continuing their previous conversation.

"How'd you figure that?"

"Sure, it's putting out heat, but that doesn't point to humans in there."

"I'd think capturing such a facility would be marvelously useful." The ship's intelligence officer pointed out. "It'd point us to whoever really operates it, in any case. But I doubt it. The communications patterns we've been intercepting indicate human communication, unless it's meticulously-crafted to appear that way."

The spooks always were paranoid.

"So whose is it? Whose do you think it is?" The FO asked, offhandedly.

"Europa?" The Captain guessed.

"Couldn- shouldn't be." The IO corrected herself. "We've been watching Jovian space like hawks. Their ships haven't come near here in a while. They certainly wouldn't have been capable of constructing... this facility, however large it is in there.

It could be Federation, but they don't seem to have responded to us nosing around nearby in any way. One would think they'd do something if they were involved."

"We'll know soon enough." Hawkins interrupted. Tapping a few buttons on her seat's touchscreens, the image on the large screen in front of them changed, displaying an Admiral speaking in a semi-monotone voice.

"Captain. Your task force is to deploy seismic sensors to the target. Exercise caution and be prepared to engage should it be necessary."

More detailed orders followed, but the details of the operation were now for her and her intelligence officer to design. The central screen again displayed the three ships' positional and systems data.

"This is Captain Hawkins to task force. Assume battle formation and conditions. Escorts, power and arm FELs. Launch birds two and three."

Image LNOS VOLTA
AFT CARGO AIRLOCK

Eight espatiers, clad in dark grey suits, stood poised as the large doors slid slowly open, two trapezium-shaped containers beside them, each with four feet and equipped with drills at their ends. Seismic sensors. Two small black craft drifted nearby, each some 20 meters in length. Dim red lighting was visible in their cockpits and they were laid out much like terrestrial helicopters may be, with a cargo door at each side of the hull, though they had no artificial gravity.

Four of them grasped each contained by handles at their sides and then jumped away from their airlock. As soon as they were clear their artificial gravity ceased to affect them and they floated freely, each steering with maneuvering thrusters toward one of the craft. The devices fit inside snugly, leaving half of the compartment for them. As agile in microgravity and power armour as their training would allow them, they moved to strap themselves into seats. The doors shut with a barely-audible whirring.

Corporal Gutierrez sat opposite two members of his fireteam. The man opposite him clutched a heavy machine gun fitted with a large scope for extremely long-distance fire. He absently wound one of the cables meant to plug into a socket on his helmet around his finger. Somebody else inspected their guided missile launcher. Four gauss guns between them - one machine gun and three automatic rifles.

Two craft approached the rotating asteroid far apart, gradually slowing to a halt on their maneuvering thrusters. The espatiers' arrays of sensors showed no activity. A tense ten kilometers lay ahead, their rangefinders told them. The machinegunner watched the asteroid closely, then gave the 'clear' signal. The Corporal signaled to the other two, prompting them to maneuver to decouple the seismic sensor.

A rotary cannon on the side of the craft watched with them. The two strepped themselves to the cargo, trailing behind it as they finished accelerating, the Corporal some distance away and the machingunner providing overwatch behind.

"Icefox, this is Bloodhound Two. Area clear. We're on approach. Over." A beep ended the message.

They drifted in silence.

One thousand meters, a robotic voice eventually told them.

Five hundred.

Three hundred.

Two hundred.

The two strapped to the load began to rapidly decelerate, pulling it with them, slowing their approach to about half a meter per second as they reached fifty meters distant. A great moving wall of rock stood before them now, many mounds and hills and craters casting sharp black shadows as they came and went. The two threw out short ropes which the free-floating figures quickly caught. On their ends were harpoons; along their length, sturdy handles. Moving extremely close to the wall, just distant enough not to be caught by any terrain irregularities which may come their way, they aimed the harpoons and with a squeeze of hefty industrial triggers fired them into the rock. A cloud of particles erupted, but a firm tug revealed the harpoons were secure.

The two men detached themselves from the sensor unit, and it began to float out under the constant rotation. All four took up prone positions around it, firing more harpoons into the rock to keep themselves secure.

Winches on the payload began to work, dragging it closer as lights on its underside flicked to life. Its four thin legs, like those of a mosquito, extended; the drills spun up. Four red lights turned to four green as each leg automatically tested that it was firmly attached. Then, the legs began to gradually fold, bringing the body of it right up to the rock.

"Icefox, this is Bloodhound Two. Payload secure and in position. No activity. Over."
Last edited by Lunar Union on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberal democratic republic on the Moon in the early 22nd century. Spacefaring superpower, part of the "western world" alongside the Atlantic Federation, working hard to keep much of the solar system and Earth under our hegemony for our economic benefit. Moneyless, post-scarcity, AI-controlled command economy.
Frencoverse Luna
Fiercely socially progressive, libertarian socialist, spooky cultural marxist, trans girl!

The Zenith Foundation
Civil Servant

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Zenith Foundation » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 pm

MARCH 24TH, 2125 CE, 0845 AZIMUTH TIME

Cadenced and cyclic, the gentle tap of Administrator Resolve's index finger upon the vitreous black of his desktop seemed a cacophony amongst the anxious quiescence pervading his office. Soldier Enmity remained statuesque across from him, having shifted no perceptible amount since she had first entered the chamber, her hands clasped respectfully behind her back and her expression stolid and sober. Awaiting his next command. A command, he could not help but dwell on, made under circumstances the criticality of which he had never before encountered in his long tenure as an administrator. Protocol had its formulated set of instructions, sure, but with no empirical precedent to draw from, it was all just conjecture. As director of the entire installation, his sanctified Balance of Priorities would be central to his decision, though the confluence of factors innumerable in such a calculation had already begun to gum up the installation’s analytical computation systems. What to do, what to do.

“Sol Enmity, what is their ETA?”

“Two weeks, if their course holds steady.”

Resolve bit his knuckle, mind simultaneously perusing his self-compiled list of options in addition to the oceans of data, some relevant and most less so, churned out by Azimuth from moment to moment.

“This calls for an educated judgement call, then. Far from ideal, but we have little choice. Our number-one priority, above even the integrity of this installation, is experiment PNC-353 as per direct orders from Prime Director Cenodyne himself, and that means maintaining its secrecy at all costs. A SIGINT vessel like that cannot be taken lightly, and its chances of pinpointing us increase by the hour. Sol Enmity,” addressed Resolve.

“Yes, sir?”

“Have that QCLasercom message sent as soon as possible, then prepare the AB-1 garrison for lockdown. I am having all external communications blacked out and internal communications reduced to minimum operating standards. The thermal cyclers will be set to closed-loop, the radiators deactivated, and everything on this entire installation stalled, slowed, stowed, shut down, or otherwise made to be as energy efficient as possible. I will notify Cogence to conceal PNC-353 as much as possible without jeopardizing the experiment and for the other researchers to put their projects on ice. Once you are finished prepping your soldiers, put our Photon on standby for departure… just in case. We shall see if we can ride this out.”

Enmity nodded stiffly in reply, in possession of no further comments.

“Good. Keep all internal wireless communication to routed EHF unless absolutely necessary. You are dismissed.”

MARCH 24TH, 2125 CE, 0900 AZIMUTH TIME

*Vweeeeet!*

A punitive paroxysm thrashed at Cogence’s form, inelegantly catapulted from sleep to rapt wakefulness once again by the intrusive spark of a DCIC message transmitted directly into his head. Groaning groggily, he lifted his torso into a sitting position before rubbing the sleep from his eyes and glancing around. Evidently, he had fallen asleep on the couch in the lounge adjacent to his office; a common occurrence, as were the many consequences of his poorly managed sleep schedule, including subsequent oversleeping that afflicted him just then as well. For but a few blessed moments, as he yawned, stretched, and brushed some crumbs of indeterminate origin from his researcher’s coat, he had already forgotten what had woken him up in the first place.

*“Res Cogence, this is Ad Resolve.”*

Cogence virtually jumped, surprised by the sudden transmission of a voice in his head. The familiar dryness of Resolve’s tones swiftly attenuated his initial surge of irritation, replaced in kind by concern; if Resolve was sending him a DCIC directly, something was wrong.

*“As of now, we have a situation CR6-11, I repeat, we are at CR6-11. This entire installation is going into lockdown right now.”*

An acerbic upwell of bile burbled in Cogence’s stomach, a bolus of dread condensing at the base of his abdomen.

“Someone’s looking for us? Fuck, this is not good. Very not good.”

*“Cogence, as Director of Experiment PNC-353, I order you to dismantle the experiment’s infrastructure, conceal its subjects, and secure its compendium effective immediately.”*

*“Whoa, whoa, hold on there! Are you saying somebody knows about PNC-353!?”* replied Cogence, the insurgent panic evident in his thoughts.

*“Negative. We are being sought by Lunar Union forces for aiding and abetting piracy, nothing more. However, given the classification level of the experiment, we cannot to any degree risk its discovery. If all goes well, they may just pass us by, but we must take the necessary precautions nonetheless.”*

Cogence gritted his teeth, already lamenting his required reversal of the time and labor he had sunk into the experiment setup, albeit with the consolation that momentarily deconstructing then reconstructing the setup would be a comparably painless if nevertheless obnoxious task.

*“Yeah, understood. Keep me updated.”*

With that, Cogence roused himself fully and briskly strode from the lounge, trotting swiftly through his campus interior until he arrived upon the laboratory complex. Bursting into the central cylindrical chamber, he linked himself to the facility-wide intercom system and began to speak.

“Attention, all faculty members, this is Res Cogence-Eval-Pers. As per our newest directive from the Installation Director, we are to fully disassemble Experiment PNC-353 and conceal all of its constituent parts, as per the clearance protocol of CR6-11. I want all materials, equipment, instrumentation, and infrastructure removed and placed in generic storage, and for all subjects to return to their habitation area. All nonessential experiment personnel will likewise be promptly reassigned to other sectors or otherwise be put on standby. Furthermore, I want all records of this experiment to compiled on a single compendium to be delivered to me, and wiped from all other systems. We have two weeks to get this done, so I want to see every trace of this experiment scrubbed clean. That is all for now.”

The ululating crowds of Foundation personnel, previously quiescent in apprehension since they received the lockdown missive, sprang to action. Technicians wielding an arsenal of tools began swarming the arrays of machinery set up around the chamber, decoupling every device in sight down to their most basic modules before carting them off on motorized trolleys. Prognosis had recalled all of the experiment’s subjects to stand in a line for a physical headcount, not daring to risk the failure or sabotage of their remote RFID tracker tags, before herding them off to their domiciles. Meanwhile, one of the technicians, after standing at the computer console for a few minutes, extricated herself from the device and approached Cogence. Wordlessly, she handed the researcher an innocuous box of white plastic, silvery metal, and little azure OLEDs the size of a deck of cards. The PNC-353 compendium, now the sole summary existence of all Cogence’s years of work.

“Thank you, Tec…?”

“Integer, Res Cogence.”

“Ahh, of course. Thank you, Tec Integer. Now, make absolutely sure no traces of this experiment remain on our computer systems.”

“Yes, Director.”

The laconic woman gave a respectful nod of her head, bowing out to return to her work in wiping the systems, leaving Cogence to gaze anxiously at the little rectangle squatting in his palm.

Image AB-1 SECURITY DIRECTOR ENMITY-OBLIT-EFFIC
MARCH 24TH, 2125 CE, 0905 AZIMUTH TIME

Enmity peered obsessively over the communications technician’s shoulder at his terminal, biomechatronic eyes flickering across the UI and neural connection probing, much to the technician’s chagrin, the computer for any surreptitious activity.

“Sol Enmity, please, is this really necessary? I’ve been Azimuth’s coms officer for as long as you’ve been a soldier. I can be trusted.”

“I never said you couldn’t be trusted, Tec Radiance, nor your skills, but in a situation as sensitive as this another pair of eyes keeping tabs on everything hardly hurts.”

Radiance simply groaned, finishing the message and checking it over once more. All confirmed, he sent the message for transmission by Azimuth’s QCLasercom emitter, a bulky, cylindrical affair that extended from its rocky receptacle on the asteroid just long enough to flash Azimuth’s request for reinforcements from Meridian.

“There we go, done and sent. Oh, and everything else has be shuttered, before you ask again. Complete electromagnetic silence, at least for now.”

Enmity nodded approvingly.

“Good, good. Now, for the time being, see if you can hook a passive link to that SIGINT ship and possibly catch a whisper or two. If we know what they’re thinking, we can act accordingly.”

“Of course, Sol Enmity, but I can’t make any promises. The LUN knows their intelligence, and the people aboard that vessel are the last people in the solar system to let anything inside of it slip.”

“I understand. Nevertheless, do what you can.”

With that, Enmity strode from the coms offices of Azimuth’s administrative center, her prosodic trot leading her swiftly to the Azimuth TZFMF garrison’s barracks and armory. Connecting her DCIC to those of all her subordinates, she snappily began to distribute commands.

“*Alright boys and girls, you got the brief, you know the drill! All idling equipment that does not absolutely need to be kept running needs to be doused immediately. All personnel will have the integrity of their physical coms checked for bugs and taps in accordance with an itinerary just transmitted. After that, I want formation lambda patrols across the whole installation. We aren’t probed for another two weeks, but I want the protocol ingrained solid by the time we are. Enmity out.*”

To her surreptitious satisfaction, her message was punctuated by the slide and click of the armory door behind her. Priming the chamber’s rapid equipping routines, she habitually rolled her joints to massage from them any residual stiffness and keep them as limber as possible, a precaution she took for every scenario irrespective of how critical or how quotidian it might be. Subsequently, she stepped into a ring of light embedded into the floor, one of many lined up against one of the walls. The light flashed from mellow alabaster to cautionary crimson, indicating a process in progress. The wall panel behind her split open into an eclectic array of panels, sliding past to make was for an octopoid assembly of robotic articulators bearing the various fragments of an exoatmospheric armored suit. Plates and segments of pristine white interspersed with silvery alloy and blinking azure lights were neatly assembled around her body, hermetic seals connecting with a hiss as each linked portion slotted into their adjacent component.

Enmity snatched the bubble-visor EVA helmet from its articulator before it could push it past her crown, tucking it under the crook of her arm and, when the ring flashed confirmational green, jogging to a deceleration chamber recessed into the floor of an alcove beside the armory, snagging a bulky firearm from a rack on her way before hopping in. Tying her hair around her scalp, she slotted the helm onto her cranium, ebon-tinted visor obscuring the last of her features. Invisible to all but herself, a head-up display flickered to life on the inner surface of her visor, before winking to black again, replaced by one projected onto the interior of her synthesized cornea. She pressed her back, as well as the EVA mobility pack jutting prominently from it, into a specially-shaped divot carved from the chamber walls, feeling the anchor mechanism lock her in place. The chamber shuttered its dense, tessellated airlock doors, and with the confirmation of its sole occupant, began to decelerate. While the majority of Azimuth was located within a vast rotating cylinder, its attached cosmodrome was instead built into an adjacent chunk of the asteroid not in rotation, and thus not experiencing centripetal gravity. Such deceleration chambers were the transfer interfaces between states, and as the chamber desynced from the Azimuth habitat’s rotation, Enmity felt the simulated pull slip away from her body, leaving her weightless.

Receiving her affirmation once more, the chamber released her from the safety lock, allowing her to reorient herself while air bled from the module, leaving little more than a vacuum. She grabbed hold of the rifle and, latching it to a hardpoint on her breastplate, commanded to open what was now the chamber “ceiling”, previously the floor. The halves decoupled with a mechanical chunk, retreating into their recesses and revealing the scape of a vast, canopied hangar. Concealed by a retractable shroud of rock and shielding, the cavernous spaceport’s interior, its typically harsh lights now dimmed to crepuscule, was mostly empty. A few fleets of cargo and transport vessels languished on their mooring racks, while two nimble corvettes and their wings of escort fighters squatted dormant at the far end. Neither were the subjects of Enmity’s interest; no, her focus was directed instead to a lone spacecraft docked nearby, its geometry easily recognizable.

A Zenith Foundation Photon-class spacecraft. Hints as to its function and remarkable capabilities were inherent to its design; wholly dominating the bulk of the fuselage were the four gigantic magnetoplasma engines and central reactor module around which the rest of the craft was designed. Each engine was a cylinder perhaps twenty meters in length, so bristling with state-of-the-art ionization-acceleration technology that its slick engine nacelles struggled to house the beasts in quartet. Feeding these monsters, meanwhile, was the mother of them all; a Helium-3 aneutronic fusion reactor, sporting no fewer than sixteen muon fluorescence tubes and a manifold capture coil powerful enough to juice a decent-sized city. The rest of its frame, smoothly aerodynamic despite never intended to enter an atmosphere, consisted of little more than low-mass paneling storing a half its dry weight in fuel reserves. Occupied space was, on the other hand, entirely minimal; the anterior portion of the ship contained no more than two-and-a-half habitable chambers, the first a cramped four-person cockpit, the second four modular biostasis pods and their requisite supplies, and the half a minuscule airlock, nothing more. No weapons, no armor, naught but propulsion and preservation. All were factors in its most glorious distinction as the fastest design of manned craft ever fully conceived.

Grinning like a juvenile, Enmity jetted towards the Photon, her mobility pack spitting a ghostly ray of luminescent blue behind her. Reversing her thrust, she gracefully alighted upon the Photon’s pristine white fuselage. Commandeering the onboard systems, she opened up the airlock and slid inside, closing the hatch behind her. The lock repressurized, and Enmity disengaged her helmet with a hiss. Drifting through into the vessel’s Spartan accommodations, she took a moment to admire the vehicle’s almost obsessive level of optimization. Foundation craft were hardly renowned for extravagance, but even the crew quarters for cargo ships were furnished with a level of simplistic, elegant luxury. The Photon claimed none of that, its construction as bare-bones as plausibly safe. Setting the rifle inside a narrow storage cupboard, Enmity floated into the cockpit, settling into one of the seats and firmly gripping one of the joysticks. A redundancy several orders down, to be sure, but the visceral physicality of the control method could never be surmounted by neural linkages.

“Exhaust velocity of seventy-two million meters per second. Stars beyond, that is fucking fast!” Mused the Security Director to herself, thoughts slipping to daydream. “What I wouldn’t give to fly one of these. Under the right circumstances.”

APRIL 7TH, 2125 CE, 1350 AZIMUTH TIME

The time was nigh. Administrator Resolve, Soldier Enmity, Researcher Cogence, and half a dozen of Azimuth’s figures of relevance besides had crowded within the former’s office, all gazing with anxious intent at the data feed relayed to and displayed atop Resolve’s desk. That is, except for Cogence, who had consigned himself to the chaise lounge, his pallid face hovering over a bucket cradled limply in his arms. Sweat beaded upon the foreheads of all present save for the unflappable Resolve, although even his remarkable composition could not hide the quaking of his folded hands as he watched events unfold. The Lunar Union convoy had not taken long; the moment they blasted into this sector of the Belt, they seemed to know exactly where to prod. Before long, they were shadowing the asteroidal shell of Azimuth, and now, their espatiers were jumping to its surface. The passive tomographic feed could resolve few of their precise activities, but before long INSINT had already identified just what they were up to and transmitted a message in text to Resolve’s desk.

*“Ad Resolve, we have positive confirmation on seismic analysis. They’re probing us first before attempting anything more drastic.”*

His eyes narrowed and his grasp clenched. For a few, inconceivably tense moments, he said not a word, moved not a muscle. As the only one courageous enough to make an attempt, Enmity broke the silence at last.

“Ad Resolve, what should we do?”

His answer was anticipatedly curt.

“We wait.”
Last edited by The Zenith Foundation on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunar Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunar Union » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Image INTELLIGENCE OFFICER'S QUARTERS
LNOS VOLTA
40,000KM FROM AZIMUTH
APRIL 10TH, 2125, 05:50 AZIMUTH TIME

The ship's Intelligence Officer reclined in her chair, one arm rested behind her head. The room was dimly-lit, she herself illuminated primarily by the three large screens before her. Her brown, wavy hair was strange and pale in the light, the white uniform thrown over the chair's back picked out by it.

The Director's image occupied the central screen, speaking from her office in Aldrin, slouched back into her chair, the ever-present electronic cigar between her middle and index fingers. Evangeline envied her; she wouldn't have minded a smoke just then. Naval regulations prohibited it, of course.

"The situation has become much more complex than I anticipated over the past few hours. And much more interesting. I am relieved that it's unrelated to Belter insurgents or a similar group and that our assumptions were incorrect.

But several obvious questions are raised. Their eagerness to so thoroughly hide whatever is underway there suggests that it is deserving of our attention. I'm considering sending Olympic's team two to allow you to exploit this opportunity to gather intelligence on the ZF covertly. Please advise on that. Have you established communications?"

The transmission ended. A longer message; signal delay made quick conversations impossible. She leaned forwards just enough to brush a finger across a touchscreen outlined with a dim rectangle of light. The image changed to display her; she ran fingers through her hair. Another tap of it. The system informed her it was now recording.

"Not yet. It's looking like they won't contact us first - we've decided to take this opportunity and gather more data for now. At the latest, we'll open comms when the transport arrives. As for Olympic - I'd appreciate it if you did. I'll do what I can."

Image LNS TRANQUILLITATIS
0.1AU FROM AZIMUTH
APRIL 12TH, 2125, 11:02 AZIMUTH TIME

Men and women in combat fatigues and dress uniforms, berets and peaked caps, had assembled in a darkened room; each of them picked out in a pervasive red glow. A holographic projector stood between the group, some meter in diameter, positioned such that it came up to their hips. The red dabs of light emitted above slid around its black mirrorlike surface.

One of them, noting that they were all present as a door slid shut, waved his hand upwards. A large asteroid arose from it, and grew. The exterior of its shell dissolved into a wireframe model, giving way to its interior - or, more accurately, to an estimate of its interior.

"Now, you'll note -" the commander broke a silence full of whirring and clunking with a resounding gruff voice "- that there's one way in." He pointed with a thin metallic rod. "We think it's a hangar or similar facility. It's certainly large enough to facilitate our operations once we clear it of ships or cargo or whatever's in there.

We'll first deploy a pathfinder platoon. They'll plant charges around the airlock and withdraw to a safe distance and blow it open."
He waved his hand again and the simulation rolled forwards in time, the asteroid spinning slowly on its axis as a great cloud of debris and particles bloomed from one end of it. "The debris cloud thus created will prevent access to the airlock. One of the destroyers will therefore fire its FEL and vaporize it for us."

Another wave of his hand. A beam outlined in light blue thus appeared, incoming from the side, his metal stick tracking it as it swept through.

"This will clear the way for a main assault to be undertaken. Two platoons of pathfinders will be deployed into the hangar in order to secure it supported by four birds providing covering fire. Once they have secured it they will empty it and once this is completed an airlock unit will be attached to the opening in the station and the rest of the hole sealed."

He had a habit of speaking long sentences without pausing for air; at least it made everybody pay attention. Two gunships escorted an inflatable unit through what had been a debris field minutes prior, troops ready to receive it. It rapidly grew, reaching some five meters in diameter.

"Once we are able to access the station's interior through the hangar without venting its atmosphere by doing so we will begin to land forces en-masse and prepare to breach into the rest of the station. We expect to be able to land one of our battalions in the span of thirty minutes or more if conditions are especially adverse. The other will be held in reserve and elements of it deployed as necessary." He cleared his throat. "Any questions?"

"Are we set on breaching with force, sir?"

"No, captain. Let me stress this, everybody - this plan is, at least for now, a contingency. We will execute it if we are ordered to do so."

Image COMBAT INFORMATION CENTRE
LNOS VOLTA
37,000KM FROM AZIMUTH
APRIL 12TH, 2125, 19:30 AZIMUTH TIME

The CIC stood mostly deserted now, manned by a skeleton crew and the wonder of machine intelligence. The persistent and pervasive humming and the various diagnostics sounds gave it a sort of life. The screens at its front displayed positional and systems information of all kinds - vast arrays of acronyms and figures arranged into simple to read patterns; hardly anything interesting.

"Captain." The IO addressed Hawkins as a door slid shut behind her. "I think it's time to contact them. The transport is just arriving."

"Comms section." The Captain ordered. "Directed broadcast at the target. Put us on."

"You're on, Captain." The crewwoman reported. The central screen now displayed a camera feed, pointed across the CIC at her; at that time, a narrow-angle shot. Evageline leaned on the back of her seat, appearing in frame too.

"This is Captain Rozenn Hawkins." She began. "Of the LNOS Volta. Task Force LT-4. We have intelligence leading us to believe that this covert station is complicit in aiding and abetting piracy."

"We are authorized to employ any means necessary to resolve the strategic issue of pirate vessels being outfitted with advanced weapons systems." Added the IO. "You are advised to respond. Over to you."

She nodded to the comms section. The central screen switched to a large empty image emblazoned with the words "AWAITING INCOMING TRANSMISSION".
Last edited by Lunar Union on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frencoverse Luna

The Zenith Foundation
Civil Servant

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Zenith Foundation » Wed May 10, 2017 5:32 pm

APRIL 12TH, 2125 CE, 1600 AZIMUTH TIME

Resolve-Susta-Ind had long been a thoroughly fastidious man. His manner was one of routine precision, so assiduous as to put a machine to shame. This unerring diligence had seen his rise to Installation Director of AB-1 Azimuth itself, and in his many years of custodianship not one minuscule detail has escape his vigil. Until now. One single, infinitesimal oversight, and now his purpose entire had been brought to the cusp of cataclysm. A lesser man might have been flattened under the pressure, but nevertheless even Resolve’s flawlessly equanimous countenance had begun to buckle. Never was this more apparent then now, when he was rolling a glass of gelid blue liquid against his temple, cooling his flushed brow before downing the foggy contents with a grimace. As the light narcotics seeped into his system, he observed at last the cessation of his fingers’ tremulous quake.

Whatever it takes, at any cost.

An idea had long taken root in his mind, a notion ostensibly borne of madness yet, in such exigencies, was perhaps the sanest and safest of Resolves’ dismal list of options. He had mulled it over for long enough, and no amount of desperate trawling had dredged up a better solution. Now, it was time at last to act. He could not afford to be indecisive, not when hesitation could be cataclysmic.

*“Ad Resolve, sir,”* and incoming DCIC transmission flitted into Resolve’s head, courtesies of Tec Radiance, *“we just received word from Meridian. Sending a full battle group was far too risky if escalation is to be avoided, but they did detach two vessels, a frigate and a transport, disguised as liners to loiter just within MAR, appearing as if they were stalled by Azimuth’s lockdown. They will be on standby if things take a turn for the worst.”*

Resolve sighed; the LUN had seized them by the neck and they didn’t even know it. For the time being, Azimuth would have to fend for itself.

*“Thank you, Tec Radiance. Stay alert, and continue relaying all INSINT to me.”*

*“Of course.”*

The DCIC line disengaged with a beep, leaving Resolve once again to his anxious silence. Fingers snaked past his cheek, clenching fistfulls of thick, greying hair and kneading the cusp of his brow. Any good excuse, any whatsoever, and he would abandon this foolhardy plan with nary a second thought. Yet even with a criterion so broad… in his searches he found naught but void. Downing another draught of the slightly luminescent beverage, he brushed the emotions from his haggard visage and summoned Cogence and Enmity, both of whom had been waiting outside on his bequest, into his office. Wordless, for all that could be said had been said and all that could be asked had been asked, the two stood in respectful silence, awaiting their superior’s words.

“Res Cogence. Sol Enmity. I’ve come to my decision. We’re letting them in.”

“…sir?”

“Sol Enmity, I know it sounds like a foolish plan. Believe me, I have yet to convince myself otherwise. But… I’ve reviewed every feasible option time and again, and few others have as acceptable a risk of catastrophic failure as this one. If we fight, we’ll get decimated, even with those mimicry ships floating just on the edge of MAR. If we flee, they will absolutely know we have something valuable to hide, and trace us wherever we try to run. This way, the LUN enters Azimuth on our terms, and we still hold a modicum of control over what they do here. But… we still need to tread carefully. Sol Enmity.”

“Yes, sir?” her acknowledgement was curt and brisk. Objections could be saved for a later date.

“Pull out a squad of CASR frames and have your troops in sigma escort groups, tour-de-force. Unless we make it abundantly clear that we’re inviting them in out of courtesy, not acquiescence, and that we will not be trod over by a visiting party, they may very well see fit to do so.”

“Yes, sir. Will comply, sir.” Sol Enmity responded with a terse nod, acquiescing to the commands of her superior.

“Excellent. At any and, if need be, all cost, we must ensure that they cause no damage and catch no hint of Experiment PNC-353. Res Cogence, that is where you come in.”

“Understood. And?”

“Those LUN troops are only here because they’ve caught one of the belt pirates we’ve been supplying. We give them what they want—our word to discontinue the practice—and they might just concede. If we give them what they want and then some, a token of our magnanimity and an impetus against letting relations sour, perhaps we can ensure they leave us well enough alone while leaving most of this installation and its operations intact. Res Cogence, this facility has numerous less important yet nevertheless valuable and coveted technologies under experimentation. I need to find at least one that we are willing to sacrifice, so to speak.”

“Ahhh… okay. I have a few ideas of what we can throw on the table. The researchers in charge of them won’t like it, but they’ll understand.”

Even as the words flowed smoothly from his mouth, Cogence could hear the sanguine thump of blood in his head, his heart fluttering with anxiety and his skin prickling with cold sweat and gooseflesh.

“Good. You will have four hours to complete your tasks. Make absolutely sure the setups are airtight, leaving nothing suspicious onto which the LUN might catch. If this goes smoothly, we might just come out on top. I am counting on you two. You are dismissed.”

Laconic nods followed in unison, and the pair turned to exit the office. Cogence drew a ragged breath once they had stepped past the threshold, kneading his jittery eyes before casting a glance Enmity’s way. Her gaze met his in return, needing no semblance of DCIC to confirm that they both harbored similar thoughts; Resolve may have been able to conceal the apprehension in his voice and in his face, but not so his words. He had lost his cultivated Meridian accent and foregone his habitual eloquent speech for a rougher and more laconic character, surefire signs that he felt the pressure as much as the rest of them. Coming to the divergence point of their respective paths, the quiescent couple halted. Not a sound was exchanged, merely an intertwining of hands and a single message borne upon shared sight alone.

Come back to me.

And with that, they parted ways.

APRIL 12TH, 2125 CE, 1635 AZIMUTH TIME

“I was briefed on what’s going on, Sol Enmity. You know that, if we have to fight them, they will vaporize us into a lightly incandescent plasma, right?”

Enmity pulled away from the armory interface console over which she had been hunched, head tilting towards the source of that familiar synthesized voice and eyes casting a withering glare. CK-6044, otherwise known as Ceekay to those so privileged to address the ancillary casually, was idling in place just behind Enmity. Evidently, the android had seen fit to exchange out its ordinary chassis for something considerably less intimidating; at the moment, its insubstantial humanoid form could have just as easily housed a baseline janitorial protocol as it did one of the most advanced combat artificial intelligences in the solar system. Its comically bug-eyed oculars stared back at her mockingly.

“Shouldn’t you be in a proper combat chassis right now? If you know what’s going on, then you should know that it is a big fucking deal. We haven’t the time for this behavior.”

Ceekay tilted its head, infuriatingly unresponsive to the impatience in Enmity’s voice.

“My normal robotic chassis is in maintenance right now.”

“We have backups.”

“The backups are having proxies installed. Distributed network. I’m the epicenter.”

“Wait, what?

Enmity spun around, furious at the thought of insubordination, at a time like this.

“Who gave you authorization for that!?”

“Nobody did, and nor did anybody tell me that I will be taking that chassis instead,” Ceekay waved its articulator at a broad section of the armory wall, the space demarcated around its edges by a thin black rectangle, “but I shall be doing so all the same. Unless you expect me to confront those Lunar Navy goons like this.”

Enmity gave the robot a look of incredulity.

“That’s just a prototype! It’s still in testing!”

Everything here is a prototype. That new chassis just happens to be one of the more potentially useful ones around here. It is imposing if we are intimidating them, it is impressive if we are appeasing them, and it is incredibly capable if we must fight them. It is the logical choice.”

Enmity groaned, roughly raking her fingers through her hair, hoping the pain on her scalp would shroud the exasperation in her head. Ceekay was right, of course, but that hardly ameliorated her annoyance with it.

“Eugh, very well. Go ahead.”

Shaking her head, Enmity withdrew fully from the computer, habitually cracking her knuckles as she strode towards another end of the armory. Lined up facing the anterior wall, knelt down like a monarch’s supplicants, their backs split open wide, were several CASR combat frames ready for deployment. At four meters in height, their glossy white and luminescent azure constructions blurred the distinction between power armor and mech, equipped as each was with six centimeters of laminar nanostructured composite plating and a platoon’s worth of firepower. Flexing her augmented muscles, she agily leapt onto the rear embarkment step and slipped inside the hefty humanoid assembly’s interior. Padded bracing enclosed around her form whilst the back panels slid shut with a whirr and locked fast, sealing her within the armored suit. Once the neural link between woman and war machine had been established, the CASR’s power systems came fully online, sending a cascade of energy surging through its SC conduits; to the nigh-imperceptible sound of its potent servomechanics, the CASR frame stood to its full height, cyan oculars gleaming bright.

A cacophony of clanks resounded from behind, drawing Enmity’s attention; turning around, she watched as the lights on Ceekay’s current chassis extinguish, flickering to naught as the entire humanoid assembly voided itself of energy and subsequently collapsed to the ground in a heap. The stillness that followed lasted for nary a second, for almost immediately after the last vestiges of electricity drained from the robot’s circuitry, motion returned in full force. A huge section of one of the armory walls split in half along its vertical axis, the panels sliding apart like hangar doors to reveal the combat ancillary’s newest incarnation. Borne upon a broad, quadrupedal base of four arachnoid legs, its torso teeming with weaponry and in possession of two monumental arms, its apex towering some ten meters above the ground, Ceekay’s ultra-heavy war chassis lumbered from its enclosure like an eldritch beast from its burrow. The ancillary callously planted one foot atop the motionless frame of its previous chassis, flattening it with a sickening crunch.

“More appropriate accoutrement, would you not say, Sol Enmity?”

The soldier merely shook her head in exasperation, unimpressed by the ancillary’s theatrics. Linking herself to the military personnel’s secure DCIC channel, Enmity commanded several of her senior specialists to report to the armory. In short order, fifteen elite combatants had hustled into the depot and mimicked their commanding officer’s movements in mounting the CASR frames before entering a crisply ordered formation.

“Alright, boys and girls,” enunciated Enmity into her voice comms channel, “you got the gist of the briefing, but once again I want to emphasize how touchy this situation is. We gotta show them strength, but not aggression. Make them feel intimidated, but not threatened. If this escalates, chances are day’s end will see us an irradiated cloud drifting through space. I don’t wan’t that to happen, you don’t want to happen, and our superiors sure as hell don’t want that to happen either. You’re the best of the best, so that’s what I’m expecting of you today. Sigma squads, you know the drill. Let’s go.”

APRIL 12TH, 2125 CE, 1913 AZIMUTH TIME

Researcher Ligation-Convol-Intim was not a woman prone to feelings of bitterness or frustration, eternally enthusiastic as she was about her continued pursuits in the sciences. To her, the unending march of scientific progress was far more than an exciting adventure into the beyond; it was her raison d'être, enmeshing her intimately with the Zenith Foundation’s own existence, which in turn bestowed upon her a life she could hardly have dreamed of. And yet, such existential mirth came with its caveats; while Ligation despised and resented few things in this world, a setback in her endeavors, and thus in the progression of technology itself, could strike at a particularly raw nerve of hers. She had been receiving periodic updates on her director’s, Cogence-Eval-Pers’, rounds of discussion with various researchers aboard Azimuth on the subject of surrendering their research material to those Lunar “visitors” languishing just outside the installation, should the situation call for it. When he contacted her via DCIC, explaining that he was coming to visit her campus to talk in person, an occasional nicety he reserved for serious events, her worst fears were just about confirmed.

Her eyes sullen and face rather sulky, Ligation gazed at her desk’s volumetric projection of Azimuth as the digital simulacrum of Cogence zoomed through the installation’s network of transport tubes, arriving at the entrance to her research facility in short order. Through the door, up two floors, across a hallway, and the little avatar of luminous voxels coincided perfectly with the man in the flesh, his slender form appearing just beyond the sliding glass doors to her office. Ever courteous, he waited for her to remotely open the doors in invitation, rather than simply barging in. Admittedly, she did let him linger for a few seconds, before acquiescing and commanding the plates of pristine polyvitroid to slide apart. With a measured pace, the man stepped across the threshold and approached her at her desk, a condolatory expression worn upon his face.

“Res Ligation, it is good to see you.”

“Res Cogence.”

Her acknowledgement was decidedly chilly, and his reception in turn distinctively apologetic.

“…right. I presume you know why I’m here?”

Ligation bit her lip, a tacit affirmation that elicited in Cogence a spark of empathy for her feeling on the matter. Under the auspices of Foundationer “society”, there were few outlets for passion insofar as ideology and personal endeavor were concerned, save for dedication to one’s contributions to science. For a researcher especially, the project to which they would devote so much labor was not merely an occupation, but a hobby, a spouse, a child, a lifelong aspiration that, admittedly to the slight detriment of scientific impartiality, lay claim to many emotions of attachment. At the very least, Cogence could relate.

“Res Ligation, I’m sorry that I have to put you through this, but I absolutely need positive confirmation that, if it comes to it, you’ll be willing to give up your prototype of Experiment PNC-441 and a copy of the experiment compendium.”

Chewing on her knuckle, Ligation cast a glance towards a small, eggshell-white plastic case set upon her desk, its innocuous shape concealing the portention of what it held.

“Do you know how long it took me to build that? To fine-tune every single synaptic bridge, to calibrate its resonators just so, to procure the small fortune’s worth of materials and instrumentation necessary for it?”

“I… have an idea, but surely the process needn’t be so onerous the next time around, if there even needs to be a ‘next time around’. After all, you have the exact design codified now, so—“

“Nine months, Res Cogence, to construct it after eight years of designing it. Nine months of painstaking, obsessive labor.”

Ligation’s hands had begun to tremble, the fraught, anxious emotions that had been simmering beneath a film of excitement fro so long bubbling up at last. A few moments of silence saw her becoming cognizant of her words and their audience, a realization that brought a mortified flush to her face. Leaning back in her chair, she sighed, kneading her eyes.

“I… sorry for speaking like that, Res Cogence. It’s just that it pains me to think of all the lost progress.”

“No need to apologize, Res Ligation. I don’t doubt that I’d react similarly if I had to give up PNC-353. Nevertheless… you must understand that having this contingency is for the greater good of scientific progress. Better to lose nine months on a few projects than risk having to abandon the entire installation, as harsh as that may sound. Even then, this situation is only hypothetical. Maybe we won’t need to resort to that. But, whatever the case, I need to know you’re on-board and prepared if we do. Will you have the prototype ready to go if we need to give it to the LU?”

Ligation gritted her teeth, quietly mulling over what she knew was not and never had been a choice.

“Is that a request or a command?”

“The latter, disguised as the former.”

The researcher’s voice was neutral and candid, an effort to keep proceeds businesslike and free of sentiment.

“Indeed. Yes, Res Cogence, the prototype will be ready for pick-up if the need arises.”

“Thank you, Res Ligation. Again, there’s a chance, albeit on the narrower side, that this might not even be necessary. And if it is… perhaps we can convince the LU to let you continue to develop the prototype as it is, rather than having to wait to build a new one. Of sensitive military interest it may be, but it’s an incredibly intricate piece of hardware that they can hardly afford to break, and you’re the one who built it.”

“Mmm, perhaps.”

Ligation’s gaze drifted back to the box, a clear signal that there was little else to converse on. Giving her a respectful nod of farewell, Cogence then strode from the office, breathing a sigh of relief once he was clear of the campus grounds. It was bad enough, having to ask his colleagues to shell out their beloved projects to protect his own. That he’d always hated having to deal with awkward situations only made his duties ever more excruciating. Massaging his forehead, Cogence returned to his transport, contemplating who next he would have to repeat this procedure with. He had managed to place one foot within the motile enclosure when, at the most inopportune moment, every single communications channel on his person, DCIC included, lit up like the dawn sky with an all-points bulletin. After regaining his balance after nearly toppling headfirst into the pod, Cogence, whilst muttering a string of curses under his breath, pulled up the message.

*“Communications with LU commencing”*

APRIL 12TH, 2125 CE, 1930 AZIMUTH TIME

“If ever there was a time for me to live up to my namesake”, mused Resolve, a rueful grimace on his lips, “it would be now.”

Resolve eyed his vitreous dewar of chilled blue liquid, wrestling with the question of how far he dare let himself slip into vice. Dissatisfied with any answer he came up with, he tore his vision from the flask and back to the clock displayed on his desk. Half-an-hour left before he sent out the signal and opened up. Thirty minutes. Weeks and weeks of deliberation had brought him little in the way of preemptive resolution; no matter how his plan might proceed, it would not be over until it was over. Briefly, he considered contacting his deputies once more, ostensibly to check up on their progress. A desire to feel a semblance of their presence played its own part as well. Swiftly precluded that was as well, for moments later he received a message from Tec Radiance.

*“Ad Resolve, they’re sending us a communique. Patching you in.”*

Resolve’s eyes flashed, mind scrambling to route the message to all available media, shooting out an all-points bulletin as he brought up the broadcasted video feed in a holographic plane above his desk. A stern, authoritative-looking woman dressed in the Lunar Union Navy’s officer garb and seated firmly in a chair that was most certainly hers blinked into vision.

*"This is Captain Rozenn Hawkins,"* she began, *"of the LNOS Volta. Task Force LT-4. We have intelligence leading us to believe that this covert station is complicit in aiding and abetting piracy."*

*"We are authorized to employ any means necessary to resolve the strategic issue of pirate vessels being outfitted with advanced weapons systems."* Added the IO. *"You are advised to respond. Over to you."*

The video feed terminated, replaced with a blank screen. Resolve, however, did not hesitate in undertaking his next course of action; after prompting Radiance to broadcast in return, he sat up in his seat, inhaled deeply, and felt the tremulous nerves wash from his body like rain off a leaf. Then, the feed switched on.

“Greetings, Captain Hawkins,” he enunciated clearly and firmly, “I am Administrator Resolve-Susta-Ind of the Zenith Foundation, Installation Director of AB-1 Azimuth, the installation you have come upon. I can confirm that we are responsible for these actions in assisting pirates of the Solar Asteroid Belt you mention. In response to the grievances of you and your superiors, we offer our deepest apologies, our promise to discontinue such activities, and as a show of good faith, we extend to you and your forces an invitation aboard Azimuth. I hope that we may speak in person, and resolve this situation without resorting to hostility or violence. We will dispatch an escort to help you into the dock. Thank you.”

The recording halted, accompanied by a prompt that notified him that the message had been sent. Allotting himself but a few more deep, deliberate breaths, Resolve then mentally input his security clearance qualifications through the installation systems to access its major functions. At his behest, Azimuth’s spaceport began to open. Gigantic servomotors hauled at the massive hangar’s superstructure, shifting aside the two tremendous panels of structural alloy coated in rock like a convergent plate boundary, splitting open the enclosure’s ceiling and exposing its evacuated interior to the vast emptiness of space. Enormous telescopic linkage pylons extended from the sides, redundancies for any ships unable to land within the cosmodrome for whatever reason, although its surfeit of empty space made that a distant possibility. Of greater relevance were the strips of light flashing on demarcated areas along the spaceport’s landing pads, indicators that Azimuth was prepared, at last, to receive its newest visitors.

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Tue May 23, 2017 2:52 am

SUBJECT: KENTARCH-OPTIMATOS ALEXANDER KANE.
CURRENT LOCATION: PORT ROYAL, MERCHANT REPUBLIC OF CERES.
TIMESTAMP: 21:19 (LOCAL TIME), 12.04.2125 (TERRAN STANDARD CALENDAR).

Port Royal was one of many settlements established on the minor planet of Ceres during the new Age of Exploration in the first half of the Twenty-First Century, before the ravages of the Second Great Depression took their toll. Like these settlements, it was initially an outpost for US-based spacefaring corporations to carry out ventures into the newfound enterprise of mining the Asteroid Belt. Here was where the original settlers of the Asteroid Belt, many of them hired workers from the United States, established colonies to live. It was also, after the economic collapse of the Depression and in the face of increasing regulation on Earth, the headquarters of the companies issued the associated contracts. Thus much of its wealth was accrued via investment into the space industries – not just asteroid mining, but also hydrogen mining from the nearby gas giants to power the nascent fusion economy. Being the most settled naturally-occurring celestial body in the Belt by a considerable margin at this stage, Ceres had grown to such a stage of independence from the remaining Earthbound polities that it could be considered a nation-state in its own right. As a result, the newly-independent corporations formed their own federated state in the Belt with the purpose of protecting their wealth. This state would become, and continued to be, known as the Merchant Republic of Ceres.

Seventy years later after the so-called 'scramble for the Belt', things were little different. Port Royal, situated on the Ceresian equator, was no longer a mere Belter settlement and spaceport, but a prosperous resort town in the Belt. Neon signs and holographic billboards illuminated the silver, distinctly ultramodern architecture of the many tower blocks, creating a cityscape not unlike the kind to be found in cyberpunk fiction. Some were the fabulous penthouses belonging to the executives, shareholders and other associates of the Occator Conglomerate, the corporate alliance managing the town, the industrial sites, mines and the many proletarians that operated it all. Others were hotels intended as accommodation for the panoply of space tourists travelling from all across the Solar System to visit the Asteroid Belt. On the ground below, a transparent covering, likely quartz-glass propped up by steel beams, protected the streets and its inhabitants from the wrath of outer space.

The environs of Port Royal was the present topic of contemplation for the man lounging in a leather armchair by the window of his penthouse room. A shot-glass of whiskey sat in his palm as he observed with curiosity the juxtaposition between the glittering skyline, the monochromatic regolith plains in the far distance, and the star-pecked permanent night of outer space.

On official records, Alexander Kane was the deputy coordinator of the mercenary force assigned to security in Port Royal. Yet for the fair-skinned, middle-aged man with ponytail-tied blond hair, this was a cover for his true purpose. Alexander was a Kentarch-Optimatos, a veteran intelligence operative attached to Thema-Omicron – a regiment-sized force of the Knights Chthonic known better as the Hellhounds. At the age of fifty-three, Alexander had reached that age where he had begun to consider retirement. At the age of fifty-three, the body would already begin to degrade to the point where the immune system would begin to turn on the many mechanical augmentations typically present within a Chthonian Knight, necessitating a specialised immunosuppressant to prevent biological rejection. Alexander had already devised a quite literal solution to that particular problem by mixing the required weekly dose of immunosuppressant with a shot of his favourite whiskey, yet such was a temporary solution for what ailments awaited him in later life.

A rapid, threefold succession of metallic dings directed the jade gaze of his eyes to the door of the penthouse lounge, bringing an end to the old kentarch's reflection upon his mortality.

"Come in." Alexander's gentle, quasi-patriarchal voice betrayed his background as a first-generation Australian emigrant, having journeyed to Chthonia at the age of sixteen. No concern troubled his mind, for he knew that the individual requesting entry was Pentarcha-Psila Erika Weiss, the markswoman of his kontubernion and his personal protégé. Indeed, while one optical augment gazed into the Ceresian glitter-scape, the other was synchronised to a camera that he had hidden outside of the room, granting him sight of whoever was at the door.

The smooth hiss of the door opening with a horizontal bifurcation and the subsequent entry of a youthful, silver-haired woman vindicated his assessment. Erika, twenty-six years of age and born a native Chthonian to a family possessing German origins, was wearing a grey hooded top and a pair of dark combat trousers in the stead of her typical Mk.2 Hermes light battledress, denoting that she was off-duty. Two grey, arrowhead-like augments encircled her luminescent azure eyes, both from which a dark visor would emerge to shield her optics.

"Enjoying another whiskey, sir?" Erika's refined Hanoverian dialect was a melody to the ears of her listeners, and her innocuous smile only made conversing with her altogether more pleasant. A useful trait for someone who frequently won more fights with her tongue than her gun.

"As a matter of fact, I am," Alexander replied with a smug grin. He had previously made a habit of stating that the whiskey was something of a necessity to ingest the otherwise completely unpalatable immunosuppressant. This time, however, he would catch her off guard.

"Makes a change," Erika bought it for not a second. "Still reflecting on the past?"
"More like assessing Moon's agenda," Alexander referred not to the Moon, but Procurator Moon San-shen, the first and most important of the kentarch's many Chthonic associates.

"Do you not trust the Tartarians?" Erika enquired with a raised eyebrow.
"Erika, when you've been running and hiding behind enemy lines for as long as I have, you tend to reserve a modicum of distrust for just about everyone," Alexander announced with a half smirk.

"But the Tartarians aren't the Feds or the Moonies," Erika reminded him with a naïve eagerness. "They share the same world as us. They believe in the Lifebinder's word just as strongly as we do. And they've done a lot of favours for you over the years. Why distrust them?"

"What is a Mechanist of Tartarus?" Alexander asked, his free-hand stroking the light stubble of his chin.

The suddenness of his query caught Erika off guard somewhat, attested by the curt narrowing of her eyes.
"They are machine-builders who covet advanced technology to create in the Lifebinder's name."

"The Tartarians are also a sect that takes the word of the Second Lexicon literally," Alexander referred to one of the three Lexicons composed by the Chthonian Supreme Leader and decoded by the Order of the Lexicon. "It is their belief that advanced technology is the Lifebinder's creation, and thus only they who heed His teachings may be permitted its use. To an extent I find myself in agreement with their worldview. But despite my personal belief that the paranoid Federation and imperialist Lunar Union shouldn't ever be allowed anywhere near spacer-tech, let alone what vast knowledge the Lexicons hold, the Tartarians make the fundamental error of interpreting the Lifebinder's word as command."

"Are you suggesting the Lifebinder's word isn't law?!" Erika's eyes were wide with shock at the apparent heresy put forward by her mentor.

A light chuckle sounded from Alexander, who now stood from his seat, whiskey glass still in hand, to face the dumbstruck pentarcha behind him.
"Why did the religions of old fail?"

A strange question, but Erika answered nonetheless:
"Because Mankind saw past the lies of the decadent Church and struck out against the laws of the so-called God to shape their own path in-"

"Let me stop you right there, Erika," Alexander interrupted her with another grin. "Has it never occurred to you that there were never any 'laws', so to speak, that were set down by the gods of old?"
"I don't understand..." Erika's eyelids were narrow with obvious confusion.

"One of the many names ascribed to the Abrahamic God was the Holy Father," Alexander stated. "Consider the high possibility that the word of the old God was never law, but guidance."

Erika continued to stare at her mentor dumbfounded. Ergo, he commenced his explanation:

"Where the old religions failed was when this word was twisted into an enforcement for mortal laws by mortal kings. Do you truly believe that a God who stewards an entire universe would care enough about such trifles as, for instance, homosexuality to condemn us humans to eternal hell?"

"I guess not..." Erika was unsure of how to answer.
"A human is one of a species in possession of the unique gift of reason, the free will to do as he pleases independent of instinct," Alexander continued. "Tyranny is not the way of the Lifebinder – it never has been, nor will ever be. We may seek His wisdom for guidance in times of hardship as we would from any father, and interpret that wisdom however we desire, but we must never expect Him to lord over all aspects of our lives. To do so would be to squander the magnanimous gift of reason that has been bestowed upon us – this gift is what a Knight of Chthonia must give his life to defend."

"Yet we Knights seek to unite all of Mankind by force, effectively conquering the species," Erika countered. "Is that not inherently hypocritical as well as tyrannical?"
"Allow me to introduce you to the concept of the agenda," Alexander reminded the pentarcha. "Everyone has an agenda, from the lowliest vagrant in the entire Belt to Archistratega Beaumont herself. There is always an ulterior motive behind every action; whether you know what that motive actually is is another matter. Remember that handy tip for as long as you live, and you'll live for as long as I have."

Erika borrowed but a moment to consider the words of her mentor. Alexander Kane was a man who had devoted years to spy-craft, so it was only a matter of nature that he withhold a degree of consideration as to possible motivations that may not manifest as obvious. For instance, while he assisted with the coordination of security at Port Royal, such was a front for his true task of observing Lunar and Federal fleet movements as well as locating potential contacts and handling new recruits from outside of the Knights.

"What's your ulterior motive?" Erika suddenly enquired with a grin.

A question to which Alexander responded by bursting out laughing. She was a clever woman – that much was obvious. She recognised that she had much to learn, always asking in her efforts toward this end. She would have made a fine Optimata, had she not walked the path of the sharpshooter and commando. Then he remembered how many times his apprentice had saved his hide in the past. Whether it be one of her plentiful dry jokes to defuse an escalating situation, or a long-distance shot from her SR-1075 Toxon sniper rifle to put down an unfriendly pirate lord, her skill and quick-thinking was as valuable an asset as any weapon that Alexander had mastered.

"THAT, Erika, is for me to know and you to find out," his verbal response was thus. "Anyway, I gather you didn't come up here from the bar for a lecture."
"Indeed I didn't," Erika quipped, her tone becoming more serious afterward. "Seems some of the merchantmen have been having problems with Rotmord's lot again."

"Ah, the Rotter..." Alexander enunciated. "Haven't heard from him in a while. From the sounds of it, he's found himself some more black-market war materiel. You know what he's like with his old Federation surplus."
"Well, that's what I thought," Erika stated. "Except it seems that the Lunar Navy has taken something of an interest to goings-on as well."

Alexander's right eyebrow shot upwards at once. "The LUN?"

"Mhm," Erika confirmed. "As you know, records from the Danaid's sensors indicate a movement pattern from the Belt associated with Lunar naval vessels over the past couple of months. If the locals' accounts are any measure, increased Lunar activity started right after Rotmord showed his face in the Belt again. I don't know about you, but if the Rotter has got new weapons knocking around, I'd be a little concerned as to why, of all people, the Moonies are looking for it."

Alexander finished the remainder of his whiskey in one gulp, before returning the glass to the end table beside the chair.

"Looks like we have ourselves a new mission," he informed his protégé. "I presume Ramaaker's still in the Tachanka?"
"Where else would she be?" Erika confirmation with a drily-delivered question of her own.
Last edited by Blakullar on Tue May 23, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Lunar Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunar Union » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Image CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS
LNOS VOLTA
35,000KM FROM AZIMUTH
APRIL 12TH, 2125, 20:03 AZIMUTH TIME

Hawkins tapped the screen on her navy-issued wrist communicator with two fingers, terminating a call. She looked down at her azure uniform, straightening the small drab vial of potassium iodide tablets which was clipped to the diagonal strap passing across her chest.

The Captain's quarters were comparatively large and well-furnished; the vessel being one of the Navy's most recently commissioned, one may even call them luxurious. On the far wall opposite to her desk, so that she may always see them, she had hung two portraits framed in intricately patterned golden wood. The left depicted a man more senior than than her both in rank and age; the right, a man even more so, at least partially evidenced by his splendid sideburns and short white beard. Her father and grandfather, a Rear Admiral and an Admiral of the Fleet respectively. Figures to look up to; with this kind of family tradition, ambition and expectations came easily. Inside a glass cabinet behind her perched a detailed but incomplete model of an 18th century ship of the line - life aboard the Volta afforded officers like her spare time aplenty, and everybody found something to keep themselves entertained.

The door to her right buzzed open, sliding aside silently, and Evangeline stepped inside from the comparatively functional-looking and brightly-lit corridor. Hawkins greeted her first, in an accent peculiar to those whose families had been influential in the political or military circles of Luna for some time. It resembled a mid-atlantic English spoken some hundred and fifty years ago, although it definitively leaned towards the Atlantic's eastern part; it was, at the least, clear to understand, and it certainly was distinctive. She motioned for her to take a seat.

"What's on your mind?" She inquired, formal and polite as her father had raised her to be.

"I'm afraid we haven't been completely honest with you about the reasons your ship is here, Captain."

Hawkins studied the woman sitting across from her, as if familiarizing herself with her all over again, evidently somewhat unsettled.

"...I see." She steepled her hands together before her, fingers apart. "In any case, I appreciate that you are here to reveal them to me now."

"The secrecy wasn't entirely my decision." Evangeline assered.

"Yes, I can imagine it wasn't." There may been a hint of sarcasm, but very deliberately and precisely just not enough to be sure.

"The intelligence services have been looking at this sector of the belt for a while now. Of course, this installation is very well hidden, so we had nothing concrete to go on. That much you've probably suspected; it's not anything new. But after we arrived here and discovered this mysterious facility, the mission's purpose changed. Given this is a covert ZF installation, we should be interested in whatever's inside. We're to gather as much intelligence as we can when we go inside. To that end, the Tranquillitatis has delivered a team of agents who will fulfill that task. I can't tell you much them, obviously - that's all very sensitive information - but we're to take them inside with us."

"Mmhm. This does seem like information I ought to have been briefed about. Is there more?"

"It's the gist of it. The reason you weren't is a failure of our internal protocols."

"You ought to fix your internal protocols before such another such inadiquacy results in something far worse, Fitzgerald. And do remind yourself whose ship this is if you kindly would."

She never raised her voice or altered its tone, but her feelings were made evident nonetheless. Despite her inexperience, and her tendency to look up to those with more of it, Evangeline was her subordinate, and just at this particular moment the Captain did not appreciate her additions to the exchange with the Foundation either. The importance of proper shipboard heirarchy had been drilled into Hawkins, primarily by her grandfather, once the fact that she would be a naval officer made itself clear.

"Well, in any case, we ought to be going, I think. Let's not keep the Foundation waiting too long, hm?" the Captain announced at last, changing the topic somewhat completely and abruptly, rising from a leather-upholstered chair. "Are your agents aboard the ship now?"

"They're just arriving, Captain."

"Very good." She fetched a swagger stick, its polished metal head engraved with an intricate design, and sticking it under her arm, she affixed on her head a peaked cap hanging by the door. "I've given orders to have one of the birds ready. The espatiers ought to be waiting already."

The door slid open, sans buzzer this time, with a command from her wrist communicator. Evangeline retrieved a pair of square sunglasses from the inside breast pocket of her off-white uniform and stepped outside into the steel-walled corridor once again.

"Captain Strauss." She spoke into the communicator, her wrist held up to her neck. "We'll be heading out now. You may assume command."

They descended an elevator, its interior as functional as the corridor, yet both had a certain particular style to them which was itself replicated throughout many other vessels of the Navy. The Captain adjusted her cap in the elevator's decorative mirror once again; and, one arm neatly behind the back, strolled out of the elevator; there was a short but somewhat wide corridor before them, an identical elevator door at its far end.

Entering one of two open doors along the length of the corridor, it slid closed behind them; and then - although the scientific marvel of artificial gravity kept them from feeling any change in their environment - through small windows, the world outside was seen to rotate, so as to bring the direction of 'down' gradually from the one standard in the ship and aligned with the axis of thrust to the one used in the docking bay. What was previously upwards was now sideways.

There was another short corridor there now, at its end a low flight of stairs leading to an open circular hatch. Two men in dark suits stood there to greet them, Hawkins leaning forward to shake their hands while she exchanged brief pleasantries. They simply nodded to Evangeline.

"You have an operations center set up?" requested Fitzgerald. A brief affirmation was their answer.

Two espatiers had exited the hatch; they stood at attention as the three intelligence figures brushed past them, the helmets of their power armour tucked underneath their arms, red berets worn proudly. They briskly saluted the captain as she walked past; she stopped for a while, facing them, then slowly and deliberately raised her own arm up to her head.

Image ASTEROID BELT
150KM FROM AZIMUTH
APRIL 12TH, 2125, 20:23 AZIMUTH TIME

An angular, black ship glided towards the asteroid, approaching along its axis of spin. Internally, it was laid out much like a large transport helicopter, with the large circular docking ports - doubling as hatches which would slide open - on either side of its hull. The interior itself was painted an off-white except for the cockpit.

A widely-used utility craft originally designed for use by the espatiers two decades ago, it now saw use all throughout the system; it was robust and highly capable. Gunship, transport, command, and so forth - both spaceborne and near-surface. The variety of environments it was capable of operation in reflected typical Lunar doctrine, just like the assault rifles the espatiers clutched, and just like the Tycho-class destroyers that had escorted them. It seemed that its derivatives would follow in the tradition of ancient equipment such as the Mosgin-Nagant, Huey, and Stratofortress, all of which had seen a full century of service.

It now matched the asteroid's spin as it approached the giant, gaping hangar bay of the installation, the glowing exhaust of reaction thrusters illuminating its hull. It slowed its approach as it closed in, reverse thrusters firing continuously. When it had come to a standstill, a docking arm unfurled itself, attaching to hardpoints patterned around one of the hatches, slowly moving the craft aside.

The hatch slid away; the Captain strode out, rather precisely twirling that stick of hers between the fingers for a few seconds as she had taught herself to do at the military academy, Evangeline and the agents behind her, and the two Espatiers behind them. They constituted a very minimal escort, but nothing more was necessary in Hawkins' eyes; she could think of no rational reason for the Foundation to attempt anything untoward here; not at a cordial meeting of associates such as this was.
Frencoverse Luna

The Zenith Foundation
Civil Servant

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Zenith Foundation » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 pm

APRIL 12TH, 2125 CE, 2030 AZIMUTH TIME

Funny, how a lifetime of exemplary service will inevitably pale in notoriety to my actions and success over the course over the next handful of days. The manifold crux of my existence. Right here, right now.

Administrator Resolve-Susta-Ind, Installation Director of AB-1 Azimuth, once foremost amongst his peers, could hardly have been more cognizant of how consummately critical the nature of this situation was to himself and everyone he knew. Status within the Foundation be damned, it was increasingly clear that lives and livelihoods were at stake, factors that resulted in Resolve’s circumstances being ever the more nerve-wracking.

Any moment now.

Flanked by his typical retinue of Azimuth’s luminaries, chief among them his prime deputies and unofficial confidants Cogence-Eval-Pers and Enmity-Oblit-Effic, Resolve loitered on the promenade leading away from the appropriately officiate building serving as the primary transition between the rotation habitation chamber and the cosmodrome. Entertained by naught but silence, he allotted himself a moment to relish the habitat’s precisely formulated artificial sunlight. He dared to let cross his mind the notion that it may be his last opportunity to do so, ever. He dared not muse upon how, nor permitted himself to succumb to desolate prognostications of failure.

Resolve. That is my name. That is my purpose.

If it was an attestation to his exigent environs that they managed to elicit in Ad Resolve, otherwise an impossibly unflappable person, such internal turmoil, it was just as much of a testament to the man himself that he let not one iota of such stress mar his cool composition. Even as he awaited the portended arrival of his installation’s newest visitors, spectated only by those already privy to his person, his equanimeous countenance remained as flawless as ever. If nothing else, Resolve reckoned his natural state was fortuitously well-suited for addressing his formidable counterpart in Captain Hawkins, whose presence he would be acquainted with in but a matter of seconds.

Right on time.

The terminal’s door cracked and parted, fluidly sliding into their wall receptacles to make way for the Lunar Union’s ad-hoc-envoy, a minimal party of six. Leading the coterie, affirmated purpose evident in her stride, was the Captain Rozenn Hawkins. Resolve’s attentive, analytic gaze parsed his counterpart for all he could find, inducing a spectrum of potentially useful protofacts. In person, her relative youth was apparent; although hardly fresh out of basic training, she was not quite the elder servicewoman one might expect of her station. Corroborating this were public records of her familial ties to august members of the LUN, accessed and processed by Resolve in an instant.

“Interesting. Her ascendancy is moreso the product of nepotism than prodigal merit. She’s competent, no doubt, but new to her responsibilities and… perhaps not so deserving of her post.”

Illuminated further by Resolve’s assiduous inspection were perhaps some hidden truths, revealed only by the most minuscule of tells.

“Firm, even-paced walk. Upright posture. Eye contact that is neither too evasive nor too intent. Yet… her nostrils are flaring at a syncopated rate. Her firsts aren’t clenched, but her fingers are twitching inwards. She’s confident in her abilities, but cannot dispel the lingering, if well-hidden, doubt that she isn’t meant for these circumstances. It seems I’m not the only one rattled by this situation.”

His eyes flickered over the rest of her accompaniment, finding, to his dissatisfaction, rather less to scrutinize. The two Lunar espatiers, firearms clutched in hand and faces concealed behind helms, appeared to be little more than garden-variety special operatives, respectably adroit in their assigned tasks and otherwise totally unremarkable. And then, there were the intelligence operatives. The most senior of their ranks, Resolve recognized from his initial messages with the LUN convoy; she was dressed in an off-white uniform identified as that of an intelligence officer, well-fitting the cryptic lack of information Resolve could access on any of her details. By her side were two of her subordinates, clad in the generic uniforms of all-purpose intelligence operatives, indistinguishable between field agents and computer jockeys. It was to these three that Azimuth would have to pay special attention, prime threats to the secrecy of its contents as they were.

In reception of the groups’ approach, Resolve extended forth a hand, grasped and firmly shook by Hawkins once within reach. Civil, cordial even, but not too friendly.

“Welcome, Captain Hawkins, aboard the Zenith Foundation’s Installation AB-1 Azimuth. As this facility’s director and administrator, I am honored to host you and your accompanying personnel as we conduct some well-required dialogue regarding this installation.”

Hawkins nodded in reply, her own eyes flicking across the Foundationers in front of her before returning to Resolve.

“Indeed, I’d say so, Mr… Resolve. You seem to know what manner of mucking about brought us here, so I don’t expect I’ll have to explain.”

“That we all do, Captain Hawkins, so no delay in setting to business will be necessary. However, if you do not mind, I would prefer to discuss these matters in my office, not far from here. I expect that, given how delicate of a situation we have on our hands, there will be not only a lot of correspondence between us two and our present subordinates, but between our superiors so many Astronomical Units away as well. Talks could proceed for some time, another subject to discuss, of course. Now, if you’d be so kind, my office is this way. And please, call me Ad Resolve, or even simply Resolve.”

Resolve gestured towards a large building not far from the primary transition terminal, effectively the capitol of Azimuth and the epicenter of its operations. A neatly paved and light-lined esplanade, conforming, as everything else did, so curiously to the tubular curvature of Azimuth’s rotating habitation chamber, laced through patches of neatly trimmed greenery to terminate, after perhaps a few hundred meters or so, at the ascetic entrance to Azimuth’s primary administration center. Merging into a single cluster, the two groups began to stroll the distance towards the structure. Resolve and Hawkins remained at the front, striding side-by-side but not otherwise talking to or making eye contact with one another. Cogence shepherded several of his higher colleagues into a bunch of their own, away from the intelligence agents, while Sol Enmity and Tec Radiance duly kept their focus on the agents and espatiers, the former even using a few of her generalists to unobtrusively coalesce a sort of human barrier between the two groups. Officially, the liaison was meant to be cordial communications between furtive allies. In actuality, the tense, even standoffish caution was palpable.

Nary a word emerged along the entirety of the walk; in lieu of comments exchanged, nervous and suspicious glances were shot back and forth instead. The minutiae of talk was for later; now was the moment for making impressions, an art requiring more subliminal means. The soldiers moved in rigid lockstep, while the civilian Foundations restrained their expressions to those of unfeeling austerity. Further beyond, the clockwork patrol patterns of generalist fireteams, specialists piloting CASR frames, and CeeKay’s massive, imposing battle chassis on overwatch could be witnessed as a further show not necessarily of force, but rather TZF’s solid resolution, supported by well-equipped competence. A formidable enemy to tussle with, in short. All duly noted by the party of visitors, until their attentions were directed elsewhere upon the group’s entrance into the administrative center. A short lift ride and a few more meters of tastefully decorated corridor saw them file silently into Resolve’s modestly furnished office. Its namesake politely offered Hawkins a chair in front of his desk, before taking his own seat behind it, every element of his posture indicative of his cooly rational attitude. The man with whom to conduct these negotiations, above all others.

“May I offer you a beverage of some sort?”

Hawkins, while taking her seat, cast a brief glance to Fitzgerald before turning back to Resolve.

“Coffee, if you have it. Little cream, no sugar.”

Resolve nodded, neatly placing a pair of simple ceramic cups in front of them. Grabbing hold of an angular, spout-bearing vessel, he flicked through an assortment of holographic settings projected from the handle before pouring into Hawkins’ cup a steaming flow of rich, dark brown ichor. Into his own cup he poured, from the same pot no less, a stream of lightly sweetened black tea. Then, a single sip in tandem, to mark the commencement of discourse.

“You arrive bearing a grievance on behalf of your superiors. A justifiable one, if I am to be honest.”

Hawkins placed her cup back on the table surface.

“Not just ‘a grievance’, Ad Resolve. Your facility especially and the Zenith Foundation as a whole is heavily alleged to be aiding and abetting major pirate activity in this region of the Belt. Very much illegal in international law, whatever that entails, but more importantly, very displeasing for the Lunar Union. We have been trying to keep peace and order in the Belt for some time now, and the piracy that has been occurring recently is a major barrier to achieving that goal. You have been actively undermining our foreign policy interests, something we cannot simply sit by and tolerate.”

“I wouldn’t expect you to, but understand our own perspective in this. The pirates formed an excellent smokescreen against detection, quite important when you’re trying to run one of the largest secret experimentation facilities in the solar system. Until now, of course.”

“Mmm, yes, until now. I’m sure that you’ve worked out by now why it’s in your best interests to cease your efforts to arm these pirates with highly advanced weaponry and equipment?”

Resolve gave a brief, rueful smirk.

“Beyond the implicit threat of being blown to oblivion? Of course. This facility is now exposed, at least to the LU, largely defeating the purpose of the pirates in the first place. Now, they are nothing more than a hazardous, erratic liability. I haven’t a single reason to retain their… services, so I believe it goes without saying that all support of pirates around Azimuth will halt immediately. That being said, a great much more is at stake than this pirate issue. Azimuth still retains a measure of secrecy from other polities. It is my hope this can be preserved, but for that, I will need the Lunar Union’s fiat. There are a great many details to work out, you understand.”

Hawkins gave a contemplative nod, lightly stroking her chin.

“Yes, of course. Unfortunately… I can’t really make a judgement on what we, the LU, want with Azimuth. It’s beyond my station. I’m going to need some time to correspond with my superiors. That, plus ironing out all the details of this prospective deal, might take a few days at least.”

“It will take as long as it takes. Delicate matters like these require precision and patience. In the meantime, Azimuth will be honored to accommodate you and your subordinates for the duration of these discussions. All will have free passage in and out, of course, and access to our state-of-the-art comms systems, and I daresay the conditions are more comfortable and amenities more extensive than naval quarters, even for high-ranking officers.”

Hawkins cast another glance at Fitzgerald, who nodded in cautious approval.

“Right then, we will take you up on your offer. However, I will be using the Volta’s systems to communicate with my superiors. Sensitive correspondence and all that, you understand.”

“More than most, Captain Hawkins. I will have my people shows yours to their accommodations. I hope for these negotiations to be productive and fruitful for the both of our sides, Captain. Good day.”

Resolve offered another handshake to the captain, accepted and firmly undertaken in return. Old habits dying hard, Resolve assessed the handshake to find the slightest hints of rapport compared to before. "A good start. Hopefully." He silently mused.

“Good day to you as well, Administrator. We will meet again soon.”

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:00 pm

SUBJECT: KENTARCH-OPTIMATOS ALEXANDER KANE.
CURRENT LOCATION: PORT ROYAL, MERCHANT REPUBLIC OF CERES.
TIMESTAMP: 21:39 (LOCAL TIME), 12.04.2125 (TERRAN STANDARD CALENDAR).

The Tachanka was a travelling dive bar built from an old Soviet TAZ-648A heavy carrier vehicle refurbished from its original purpose of moving vast amounts of materiel and personnel across a celestial surface. Originating from a KosmoProm industrial town some three hundred miles east of Port Royal, Alexander knew the Tachanka to be owned by an old ally and contact of his. Because of that, the soldiers in his kentarchy knew it and trusted it, hence frequenting the place when it visited the port city.

As the ten-wheeled grey juggernaut loomed into view, Alexander could see that it was still open for business, attested by the warm blue neon sign of a horse-cart bearing a machine gun. One entered the establishment through the vast rear cargo door, doubling as an airlock to the crew compartment for when the Tachanka was rolling through a cosmic vacuum. It was in this compartment, significantly enlarged and extending into the cargo bay so as to accommodate a business, that the bar was positioned.

Alexander entered the bar, followed by Erika, to exactly the sight that he was expecting when he was made aware of Ramaaker's presence. The bar, styled after a twenty-first century Soviet tavern, had several broken items of furniture and pieces of glass on the fibreboard faux-wood floor. Six youths dressed in a quasi-uniform of track pants and leather jackets lay huddled at a table booth in varying states of consciousness; one was knocked clean into unconsciousness, while the others were rubbing wounds sustained during some sort of brawl. The other patrons of the bar were staying well clear of the carnage, some remaining in their booths while others were huddled against the walls.

"I'm not gonna ask ya again – apologise!"

The source of that gruff, baleful growl uttered in a dense South African accent was a heavily-built woman in a white jacket and jeans. She was currently pinning a seventh thug to the wall by the neck with her right hand, her left curled into a fist. The woman's dull teal hair was swooped on one half to the left, the other half shaved bald. A prominent Norse ginfaxi tattoo covered the right side of her head, the marking closely resembling a swastika.

"I don' think I quite 'eard that!" the woman roared into his ear, spittle flying to the wall. "Wha'ja just say?!"

"I'm sorry..." the man croaked with a noticeable Serbian accent, struggling to speak under the Amazon's crushing grip.

"I STILL CAN'T HEAR YA!!! SPEAK UP!!!" the woman delivered a piercing shriek with all the vigour of a seasoned drillmaster.

"I'M SORRY FOR TRYING TO ROOF THE BARKEEP!!!" the Serb screeched in a ludicrously high-pitched voice bedecked with agony.

At that moment the woman's eye flickered to the doorway, catching sight of Alexander and Erika observing her roughing up the Serb.
"Looks like this is yer lucky day, ya cheeky-prawn!" she returned her snarl to the man caught in her python-like grip. "Now git th' fuck outta 'ere!"

And with that, the Amazon threw the man across the room to join his comrades. The Serb skidded across the wooden floor on his face, only stopping when he collided into some of the others at the table booth.

"As fer the resta ya..." she turned to the crowd that he slid into, her eyes flashing a light blue with menace.

The other belligerents at once staggered to their feet and scurried out of the door like cockroaches before the woman's ursine countenance. One of them had to literally drag his unconscious comrade along with him, brushing past Alex and Erika during their exodus.

"How're ya doin', boss?!" the Amazon immediately contorted her glare into a puerile grin, a jocular hand-wave accompanying the greeting.

The kentarch, however, was far from amused.
"How much do I owe you this time, Sergey?" he spoke with a sigh as he turned to the barkeep.

"This time is on house," Sergey's answer was delivered with a familiar smile. "Your Ramaaker did me real big favour by getting rid of these asshats. Zdravko and his boys have done nothing but cause problem all week!"

"Still, I'd feel guilty if I didn't," Alexander handed a small, credit card-like object to the barkeep – a digital cheque for one thousand ceris. "Consider it a gift; I've already switched off the security checks."

"Bladdy chetniks, thinkin' 'ey can do whatever they like..." Ramaaker mumbled aside to Erika with a smirk. "Good thing I'm 'ere to sort 'em out."

"What actually happened to warrant such a beating?" Erika queried.
"Bunch a' wankas tried smashin' th' place up and gettin' Sergey to pay 'protection money' fer it," Ramaaker chuckled in response. "So I smashed them up."

"Ramaaker, your heart's in the right place, but one day, the mercs are going to get to you before I do," Alexander chided his tetrarch. "What d'you think happens then?"
"Y' gotta fill out some papers and pull some strings," Ramaaker answered.

"Well, when then comes, I might just 'misplace' your release papers," Alexander narrowed his expression into an unpleasant frown. "And then you get the fun job of explaining to old man Kolchak why one of his cells keeps getting so close to being compromised. AFTER your jail time, that is. Come on, we've talked about this..."
"Yeah, sorry boss..." Ramaaker bowed her head low with guilt.

"Now, anyway, how drunk are you?" Alexander enquired. "Because we have business to attend to, and we need to be at the Danaid in short order."

"What kinda business?"

"The Rotmord kind of business."

"Well, let the Moonies sort 'im out!"

"That's kinda why we need to go get him. I think he might have some new, advanced weapons with him – reports corroborated by what other merchantmen have said of him. Ones that the Tartarians won't want the Moonies to have. Favours for favours, and all that..."

"I see," Ramaaker contented herself with this curt explanation from Alexander. "Nah, I 'aven't had much t' drink. Just a mug a' beer."
"Good," Alexander grinned. "You're driving. Oh, and don't forget your boonie."

Ramaaker grumbled as she produced a small brown bush hat from her jacket's left pocket, setting it on her head so that the swastika-esque ginfaxi tattoo was just out of sight.

MEANWHILE, AT THE SPACEPORT...

"...and after dat, dey sure didn't bother us again!"

"Yippee, yet another story about one of your copious dallies... Ignazio, if you carry on chasing skirts, your wanking arm will be strong enough to challenge even Ramaaker in an arm-wrestling duel."

"Come onnnn! I t'ought 'chou Frenchies did this seduction t'ing fer sport! Now do me a favour and pass me dat wrench over dere!"

"Ergh... je n'ai jamais demandé cela..."

"Wha?"
"Is nothing. Here's zat wrench you asked for!"

The long brown-haired Adonis with the Sicilian accent took the requested tool from the blond, cropped-haired Frenchman, the former beaming the latter a suspicious glare.

In the absence of their boss, Knight-Optimatos Ignazio Bernetti and Knight-Psilos Jean-Baptiste Petain had been left to maintain the Danaid's landing gears. Normally, Ignazio was the Kane kontubernion's designated infiltrator and assassin, accompanying the kentarch on missions deep into enemy territory alongside Pentarch Weiss. Petain, on the other hand, was a close-combat expert trained to Expert standard in Cobra and Wraith Stances and a master of Italian swordsmanship. Alongside his chosen AR-540 Vanguard assault rifle, he also carried with him a custom-forged rapier with a titanium blade and a wurtzite-BN tip.

The sumptuous, twenty-first century styled exterior of the Danaid's hull betrayed it as a Dromon-class space yacht, a fine vessel built by the elite Phaeacia shipbuilding company for the wealthiest customers. To own either a Dromon or a Charon-class, the other design of yacht that flew from the Phaeacia orbital shipyard over Ceres, was a status symbol. Hence there were a few other such ships of the Danaid's breed docked into Port Royal, each owned by resident Occator executives as well as those from other corporations.

What few were aware of, however, was that Phaeacia had another type of frequent, clandestine customer – the high-ranking Chthonian Optimatos looking for a sleek, high-tech ship that could slip past patrols deep into Federal or Lunar space without either ever being aware of the true nature of its owner. How a Chthonian stealther differed from the yacht that it matched immaculately in its shape was the presence of a comprehensive command-and-control suite, a barracks capable of accommodating three tetarta – seventy-five marines – a military-grade fusion reactor, hidden weapon systems and a powerful thruster engine for rapid escape should such become a necessity. Being a highly ascetic and rigidly militaristic people, many Optimatoi considered such a trade of space for utility acceptable.

Such was the nature of the vessel that Alexander approached with Erika and Ramaaker close behind him. The same vessel that he would be using in his quest to figure out where Rotmord had procured his new toys from, and why the LUN would be so interested in the same.

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Lunar Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunar Union » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:58 pm

ImageABOARD AB-1 AZIMUTH
APRIL 12TH, 2125, 23:20 AZIMUTH TIME

The Lunar utility shuttle, having previous left for the Volta, now returned again to its previous spot at Azimuth's docks. Another espatier alighted, followed by another field tech in off-white uniform, followed by a curious bipedal robot with a skeletal, truss-like structure, no mind paid to its exposed hydraulics. Attached to a rack on its back were two large elongated white crates, their edges reflective and grey and panels corrugated. The field tech carried a white cylinder of similar colour, as long as his arm, and thin. The robot simply followed the two of them; there was no excessively advanced machine intelligence at work here.

"YOU KN-" the espatier began to chat casually with the technician, only to have his voice explode down the corridor, echoing into the far distance. Cursing under his breath, he switched off the microphone and voice amplification equipment of his suit.

"Stupid fucking thing." He sighed. "It's equipment meant for yelling at civvies, you see. Gets damn irritating."

The tech remarked that he should bring it to the attention of the ship's repair personnel.

The Captain raised her cup of morning coffee and sipped a little. It was some forty minutes to midnight onboard Azimuth, but coincidence would not have its onboard time correspond with the Volta's. The coffee here was better somewhat than that served at the ship's officers' mess, and on-par with what one could enjoy at Phobos naval base.

She looked on across the room from where she was seated. A field tech was at work checking communications equipment which had been set up on one of the provided tables. It connected to an anthenna that had been erected in one of the corners, tucked behind a lamp, though the cable was inevitably exposed.

The doors slid open; Evangeline entered with several field techs in tow, and the bipedal robot behind them. Hawkins, of course, recognized some of these field techs as Evangeline's agents. The robot unloaded the two crates onto the ground, at which point they were carried one at a time - each by two men - away from the door, while the robot left, presumably to walk itself back to their shuttle.

"We should hide the anthennas." Evangeline remarked. "Have you found anywhere we can?"

The Captain directed her to a large closet set into one of the walls. Pulling it open, they noted that there was more than enough internal space, and began their work, setting up a large metallic box with a computer terminal set into its frontal face on another table. Another similar box was set up next to it, and they began to connect them. Both of these came from one crate; the other contained anthennas and signals intelligence receiving equipment.

The technician working on communications spoke up.

"I think it's good to go, ma'am."

This, of course, meant Hawkins had to rise from the rather comfortable sofa, and so it took her a moment to pull herself up. There was a series of security checks ahead, which were always such a terribly interesting affair.

The agents working on the surveillance equipment, naturally, went about their work in silence. She imagined they might have muttered to each other if necessary, but it was never necessary; frankly, it was unnerving. But then they were intelligence types, and she had at some point or other come to the conclusion they were all deliberately trained in the art of being unnerving. Then one of them without so much as a change of facial expression proceeded to roll up their sleeve and pull a wire out of their arm, the skin parting as they pulled, and Hawkins decided to focus on the security checks instead.

Soon enough, it was done. As the real technicians one-by-one left the room, Evangeline rose from her seat.

"Are we all set, agent McDowell?"

The man gave a firm nod in response, while the other agent - agent Mayussen, his subordinate - took a seat before the computer console. McDowell attached a cable to a port on the back of Mayussen's neck.

"It's similar to what we've expected." Mayussen noted. "Quite a few psionic signatures, although I haven't been able to resolve many of them as something recognizable, and there may be more or fewer of them than this estimate."

Evangeline nodded.

"Any that stand out to you yet?"

"There are a couple, but the team on the ship will be better suited to make sense of it. In the meantime, I'm planning to do a walkaround of the station, or at least the non-restricted areas. You know, out of curiosity, or that's what I'll say if anyone asks. Sensing the psionic environment from different locations quite far apart has the capability to provide more in-depth results."

"They'll get suspicious if intelligence personnel start wandering around their station."

"They will. I'll be low-level diplomatic staff, officially. They won't recognize me. Perhaps one of the other agents, or you, should come with me. Two people will look less suspicious than one."

ImageNEWTON, COPERNICUS CAPITAL TERRITORY, THE MOON

Military, diplomatic, intelligence, and political staff had gathered around a circular table, in a room with a tall ceiling and circle of light suspended from it, all with their personal computers and notes and papers. They were not many, perhaps ten in total. The group listened quietly to the Captain's short preliminary report, then conferred among themselves. They took turns at talking, and talked over each other, too, until they came to a satisfactory agreement.

A sheet of paper was passed around; everybody proofread it one final time until it finally returned to the group's presiding head, who began to speak into a microphone before them, quickly and with a voice like gravel, pausing often.

"Excellent work, Captain." They began. "To start with, we are in agreement that the location and existence of the facility designated as 683 November, or Azimuth, must remain highly classified information. All documents relating to the matter are being reclassified as Top Secret and you should ensure the necessary security protocols are followed by the personnel under your command. Reassure the representatives of the Foundation that this is not up for further review."

The presiding head blew a thick cloud of smoke into the air and cleared their throat.

"From their close cooperation with pirates, we can judge that they must have valuable and up-to-date intelligence on their activities, whereabouts, and so forth. They may even be harboring some at this time. You are to request all of this information on behalf of the Lunar intelligence community. If they are harboring any pirates, they are to be turned over to you, at which point they will be taken into custody aboard the LNS Tranquillitatis.

Ensure Fitzgerald and the Olympic operatives have sufficient time to complete their operations. Their work is now a part of your mission. It goes without saying that it must be kept classified. If necessary, stall. Do not, however, allow this operation to jeopardize the primary mission. It is not more vital than the preservation of our good standing with the Foundation."

A single finger clicked the microphone off.

"Unless anybody has anything further they wish to discuss, we'll wrap this up here for now."
Last edited by Lunar Union on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frencoverse Luna

The Zenith Foundation
Civil Servant

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Zenith Foundation » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 pm

APRIL 18TH, 2125 CE, 1242 AZIMUTH TIME

That Enmity found her current circumstances of duty rather displeasing, being a blatant understatement notwithstanding, belied just how much they had her rattled. Having no other option than to tolerate the presence of a near-belligerent power’s personnel, among their number intelligence agents, Enmity was far more than simply agitated. Her every waking moment had become suffused with an undercurrent of paranoia, and no matter how many measures she took to ensure that Azimuth’s “guests” were doing nothing suspect, her fundamental distrust of their intentions could not be shook. And so here she stood, having effectively made Tech Radiance’s intelligence center her own, neurally linked to the installation’s surveillance systems and pouring over their facets in a manner nigh-obsessive.

“Uhh, Sol Enmity, are you alright?”

Enmity withdrew her palms from the interface console, leaving twin prints of perspiration upon its surface. The intense concentration alone had brought a cold sweat to her skin and a tense ache behind her eyes, an exertion in and of itself far more intensive than any physical exercise. Beside her, Tech Radiance bore an expression of worry. At first, he had merely been annoyed at the intrusion, but now, his sentiment had shifted to concern.

“Sol Enmity, what the hell is up with you? I understand you want to keep a close eye on those Lunar guys, but this is not the way to go about doing so.”

Gritting her teeth, quenching an explosive, capricious rage flaring deep within, Enmity wiped her forehead on the sleeve of her coat and turned to the technician. Lowering her voice in spite of the intel room’s security, she tried to keep her words from coiling into a hiss.

“Tech Radiance, you know what’s aboard this installation. You know what’s at stake. You know that we must do anything to protect the sanctity of it. You know it’s at all costs.”

Well aware that, had Enmity been talking much louder, he would have been coated in furious spittle, Tech Radiance raised his hands in symbolic disarmament in an attempt to placate the soldier, nevertheless keeping his words firm and cool.

“Of course I know, Sol Enmity. I am not disagreeing with you. However, we must approach this logically, lest we make costly mistakes in our haste. You’re a soldier, Enmity-Oblit-Effic, and that is the capacity in which you should act. You do not have the augments, training, or experience to successfully monitor the whole of Azimuth installation. What you do possess is the capacity to defend it if shit hits the fan. And while none of us want that, it’s an eventuality we have to prepare for. By draining your mental energy here, you are sacrificing a lot to gain rather little. You have to trust that I will handle my side of things, so that you may, to the best of your ability, handle yours.”

Enmity sighed, kneading her eyes. She could already feel tinges of exhaustion setting in, her augs only postponing the inevitable.

“Ugh. I suppose you’re right. I’m not equipped for this shit. Off the field, I’m probably just a liability. Argh, damnit! This whole situation has me wired like a fucking Skitter.”

Enmity, shuffled her way over to a nearby chair, collapsing into it and raking her fingers through her iridescent locks.

“Enmity,” began Radiance, his voice softening, “I know it’s a shitty situation, but we have to trust Resolve’s judgement in this. Whatever happens as a result, second guessing him will only make it wor—”

BEEP BEEP

A sharp, synthesized alert sliced through the technician’s words. The attention of Radiance and Enmity alike snapped over to the interface bank. Amidst the cluster of monitors and holograms, the external multi-feed stood out. Approaching the sector of the belt in which Azimuth, the Lunar convoy, and rather little else was situated, was a curious little blip.

Panic surged through Enmity’s veins, her synthetic eyeballs jittering in their sockets as her vision flashed across the diagnostics. Analyses, comprehensive and thorough, that promptly served to calm her frazzled nerves.

“Ahh, heh. Just a yacht headed out of Ceres, probably on a cruise to Eunomia. Had me on edge there for a sec.”

Relieved, if only briefly, Emity felt that ice-cold dread come flooding back when she glanced over to Radiance. In his eyes, it was clear he knew better.

“Oh no. This is bad. This is really goddamn bad. I’ve seen trajectories like that before. They’re hard to discern and only apparent before it’s too late, but I know them too well. That is a goddamn stealther, and it’s headed directly here.”

Enmity’s blood swiftly vacated her face.

“Oh fuck.”

APRIL 18TH, 2125 CE, 1306 AZIMUTH TIME

Never before had Resolve struggled so valiantly, so intensely, and yet so futily to retain his perfect composure. After all he had been forced to abet, incompetence that put his installation in jeopardy was the last straw. Thus, in a matter most uncharacteristic, he soon found him bursting through the doors of the office accommodations leant to the Lunar Captain Hawkins without so much a modicum of decorum.

“You are supposed to be professionals.”

His words, blunt in their unsubtlety, yet sharp in their sting. Hawkins, bewildered, jerked her head up from her present work, her tone indignant.

“Excuse me?”

“How could you let this happen!?” Resolve’s voice, whilst struggling to remain steady, began rising in volume. “We had an agreement! Azimuth is to be kept secret!

“And it shall be! What in the name of all the stars are you on about!?”

Resolve clasped his hands together, white knuckles wringing one another.

“You are intelligence specialists, of a massive naval power, sitting on top of a preposterous amount of equipment. If I learn that you let a yacht sl—”

“We most certainly have not failed to notice this yacht, Mr. Resolve. We choose to ignore it because our analysis determined it to be just that!”

Resolve’s incipient rage began to subside, replaced once again by a veil of cold logic. His tremulous tone steadied, now taking on a gelid quality.

“Then your algorithms are critically out-of-date. Ours have concluded that yacht is a stealther, belonging to none other than the Tartarians.

“Is that so? You think we haven’t considered that possibility? We discarded it because there’s no way they would be stupid enough to try and push through a Lunar cordon. And if they try? We will blow them to dust.”

Resolve’s face was lithic.

“You will do no such thing, Captain. I will not have you drag a full-scale military conflict into Foundation space, or worse yet, give them an excuse to declare hostilities against us as well as you.”

Hawkins’ eyes narrowed.

“That is no longer your decision to make.”

Unfazed, Resolve leant in closer.

“You do that, and I will evac and scuttle this entire facility. Our deals will be void. And you will have nothing to show for all the time and effort you’ve spent here, save for a very sour relationship with the Solar System’s premier scientific power. Something that will reflect very poorly on your record, I’d expect.”

Not waiting for her response, Resolve promptly stood back upright and spun around, waltzing out the door with naught but a few last words in parting.

“Stay your hand, Captain, or I will cease staying mine.”
Last edited by The Zenith Foundation on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 am

SUBJECT: PENTARCHA-PSILA ERIKA WEISS.
CURRENT LOCATION: SOMEWHERE IN THE SOLAR ASTEROID BELT.
TIMESTAMP: 13:14 (LOCAL TIME), 18.04.2125 (TERRAN STANDARD CALENDAR).

WAAAK. WAAAK. WAAAK.

A pale, feminine hand emerged from the nearby bedsit to silence the incessant cacophony of the alarm clock, its racket replaced by a drowsy grunt at the press of a button. The aurescent digits embedded into the timepiece read 06:00 standard Earth time, the appendix necessary to disseminate the concept of time in space.

Even despite the morning alarm, Erika could hardly complain – one of the few luxuries that a Chthonian could afford in the service of a kentarch, and especially an Optimatos, was an individual bedroom. It was a modest accommodation measuring four metres in length and two in width, but a preferable indulgence to a crowded unisex barrack. At least here, one would never have to worry about awakening in a miasma of sweat, flatus and other, indeterminable bodily fluids to the blaring of a bugle – as Erika had for many of her teen years. Kentarch-Optimatos Alexander Kane was an easy-going commander, especially compared to one certain ill-tempered droungarios who had supervised her batch during the Trials that dominated her adolescence, but even an early start to the morning could not escape his regimen.

As Erika arose from her bedsit with drilled haste and precision, her eyes fell upon a small metal statue stood alongside the alarm clock on the desk, its paint fading and parts dented and scratched. Its nevertheless meticulously-forged depiction was of a grotesque, vaguely humanoid monstrosity, a sort of undead Lamia. Its upper half was a four-armed, female cyborg zombie with writhing leeches for its hair, teeth curved into razor-sharp fangs, torn, decaying flesh exposing pieces of metal, and brilliant, flaring red eyes. In her right hands, she gripped a huge silver scythe, dripping with painted blood, and her left carried a bundle of human skulls, most of which with the spines still attached. The lower half of its body belonged to a huge earthworm, the vicious creature sitting upon a pallid white, lumbricine coil as if lording over everything beneath her.

Erika contemplated the grotesque effigy as she walked out of her bedroom to the showers, the door sliding open to bid her entry and shut again to deny others it. The statue was of Myr'kor the Deathbringer, one of several Khazard'Vaari phaerontes that composed the highest beings in the Chthonian pantheon. It was a trophy acquired on a mission one time with Alexander to suppress a Myr'kori death cult that had appeared in southern Kazakhstan, in the old Union of Sovereign Republics. The Myr'kori cultists were absolutely vicious, their belief in the supremacy of machines so absolute that they deliberately twisted their own bodies into horrific, Lovecraftian shapes so as to spite the human form from which they originated before their cyber-augmentation. Erika held no love for the pseudo-deity of death, for such would be heretical, but kept the memento mori as a reminder both of her first mission with Alexander and of her own finity in the mortal world.

Emerging from the washroom after her morning shower and a change of clothes into a light-blue tank top rather than her prior grey, Erika encountered at the door a towering mountain of a man. He was at least thrice as broad as her and two heads taller, bearing a chiselled face with short, cropped blonde hair and two piercing silver eyes. His huge mechatronic hands looked as if they could crush a baseline man's skull into paste with one single closing movement, like a steel bear-trap.

"Morning, Ozzie," Erika greeted the hulk with a quotidian tone in her voice. The giant merely grunted and met her smile in response as he proceeded into the washroom.

Knight-Kataphraktos Stefans Ozolins, originating from an eastern European background, was the designated combat engineer for Alexander's kontubernion, serving directly under Tetrarch Ramaaker. Embodying the concept of speaking softly and carrying a large stick, Stefans – or Ozzie, by which he was better known – rarely uttered a word, but when he did he could convey his point with far better efficiency or force than most. He was also highly esteemed in his craft, Ramaaker once asserting that he fixed a leak in the coolant pipes for the LScV Mk.3 Scythe scout grav-car in the cargo hold using nothing more than some nanoglue and a condom. Whatever the truth of this tale, Ozzie was the team's mechanic and undertook his duty with seldom flaw.

Erika's next destination was the mess deck, her present mission objective being to acquire breakfast and a cup of coffee. Another otherwise-unavailable luxury that she could afford in the service of a Kentarch-Optimatos was genuine meat. Even though the ham trimmings in her sandwich were most probably cultivated in a laboratory back on either Ceres or Tartarus, rather than harvested from an actual pig, it was still well above and beyond the copious meat substitutes that bedecked a Chthonian menu. Likewise, the pallid, feathery bread that composed the rest of the comestible was probably manufactured in a hydroponic garden rather than grown in a field. Such, however, was no major concern to her.

"Hey, boss – help Astrid and I solve this problem!"

A voice accented in dense, feminine Highlander Scottish assailed Erika's left ear, and she turned around to face a woman of similar build to Ramaaker, but with a fiery-red Mohawk, a pale, almost white freckled face, solid-black lips and bright purple eyes rather than Ramaaker's blue. There was a second woman to the Scot's left, peering from behind her. She was lean, youthful and shapely like Erika, and her vibrant blond pigtails would have been appealing were they not overshadowed by the pair of unsightly, dull-red globes in place of her eyes, like spectacles fused into her skull.

"What would that problem be, Bonnie?" Erika queried.
"What's worse – ration soup, or nutrient paste?" Astrid piped up in a gentle, youthful Scandinavian voice.

"Nutrient paste," Erika answered without dedicating as much as a second towards hesitation. "Ration maconochie at least doesn't taste of anything. Nutrient paste, on the other hand, tastes like cat puke with an additional helping of bird-shit thrown in for good measure."

"HAH!!!" Bonnie turned toward a despondent Astrid with a thunderous laugh. "I told yeh that nutrient paste was worse!"

"Well, you haven't asked Hans or Stavros yet," Erika pointed out. "Tell you what, make it a best of three."

"Then I still win," Bonnie retorted. "Ozzie agreed that paste was worse."

"Fair enough," Erika stated with a grin. "Sorry, Astrid – you're out of luck there."

Knights Bonnie McDonald and Astrid Lindgren were, respectively, the machinegunner and heavy weapons specialist of Erika's vanguard, serving alongside Ignazio and Petain in the same unit. When it came to operating machine guns from the MG-855 Tempest general-purpose MG to the fearsome MG-15120 autocannon, Bonnie was second to none, and she had found a drinking partner in the equally-fierce Ramaaker. Indeed, when word returned to the Danaid of the tetrarch's most recent antics in the Tachanka a few days before, Bonnie was among the first to castigate her with a barrage of her trademark ear-wilting curses, demanding to know why she had not been invited to get wasted and help beat up the gopniks.

Astrid was generally easier-spoken than the punkish machinegunner by her side, but never was this to be mistaken for weakness. Her lithe frame betrayed the distinction of carrying capacity for many rounds of ammunition for the GL-4080 Brimstone auto-grenade launcher, her prime weapon of choice in battle. Her mastery of all of the Kane kontubernion's heavy artillery, including the Spike LAAW, Sarissa, Spider and Stymphalios missile systems and the Thumper infantry mortar, was unmatched by anyone else within the team, having passed the Trials as a demolitions expert. The two Tartarian-built bug-eye augments, each possessing high-magnification targeting computers synchronised to her mind-machine interface, made her an even greater force to be reckoned with.

The door to the mess suddenly slid open, and in strode a pair of young men. One had a head of matt-black hair that flowed down to the shoulders and a well-sculpted, clean-shaven face with bottle-green eyes – he might have been mistaken for Ignazio were it not for these. The other was similarly built, with a caramel skin-tone that marked him out from the other, pale-skinned Chthonians, short-cropped hair and a square, futuristic monocle-computer over his left eye.

"Morning, girls," the first man greeted the gathering with a Swiss German accent and a spring in his step, deliberately averting his gaze from where Bonnie was presently seated.

Erika took notice of the gesture, and immediately had to suppress a laugh. The last time Hans Ziegler, the kontubernion's designated combat medic, tried to seduce the machinegunner, it ended with him staggering out of the Tachanka, clutching his manhood in agony after it was promptly introduced to her hammer-like fist. Stavros Eliopoulos, the team's cyber-warfare expert, was much more reserved with his greeting, raising his hand and smiling, but he too kept a fair distance from Bonnie as a result of a similar incident.

The pentarcha-psila's next destination was the Danaid's action information centre at the ship's heart. Here she would find the Karabisianoi, the sailors and spacefarers of the Chthonian armadas, seemingly glued to their screens, wires jutting from the back of their necks into the computers before them. Although while synchronised to the Danaid's subsystems they quite closely resembled mindless zombies, they were anything but. Their mind-machine interfaces, the slots for which were on the nape of their necks, were presently wired to the ship's various subsystems, interacting with them on a personal level for maximal efficiency.

Erika knew not personally how the system operated, but Karabisianoi she had spoken to had told of the sensation of immense power, the subsystem being interfaced with feeling like a component of their very bodies. Such stories actually gave her concern, her having heard tales of the MMI's quasi-addictive nature when just synchronised to Achilles or Talos power armour. She could only imagine the godlike ecstasy of having command of an entire warship, all miniscule humans beneath its titanic might seeming almost like flies to a wanton boy.

It was also where kentarch Alexander himself was situated, standing at ease before a cerulean holo-display of the vessel's DRaDis system. He had been here for at least two hours, surveying planetary charts in real-time and keeping a close eye on the subsystems being managed by the Karabisianoi.

"Good morning, pentarcha," he greeted his subordinate without turning around, always having a strong instinct for knowing when being watched.
"Mornin', boss," Erika returned the greeting. "I gather we'll be there soon?"

"Indeed," Alexander answered. "We are just closing in on the last-known whereabouts of the Lunar ship. We should be there within-"

"Sir, I have detected four unidentified objects six hundred thousand kilometres from our present position," one of the Karabisianoi suddenly spoke out in an eerie monotone, her facial expression unchanging. "One seems to be built into an asteroid. The other three each match the signature of a Tycho-class guided missile destroyer."

A visible spark of concern leapt onto Alexander's face.

"Don't tell me we've bumped into a Supreme Leader-forsaken secret armoury out in the sticks..." he grumbled.

"Everything alright, boss?" Erika enquired.

Before Alexander could answer, another Karabisianos piped up.
"We are receiving a transmission on an open frequency originating from the structures ahead, sir. Should I patch them through?"

"Put it through at once," the kentarch curtly ordered.

Without further ado, the Karabisianos sent through the mental command to link the incoming transmission to the CIC's receiver.

"Attention civilian vessel, this is Captain Rozenn Hawkins of the LNOS Volta, Task Force LT-Four of the Lunar Navy," a dour, authoritarian voice rang through the speaker. "Your presence in this system is at risk of interfering with a sanctioned military operation. In accordance with international spacing law, you are mandated to divert your course or we will be forced to take action."

"Begin recording a transmission," Alexander ordered at once. "Open frequency."

"Yes sir," the Karabisianos in charge of communications spoke out from the far end of the room. Shortly after, a light upon the console before the kentarch began to glow a gentle green, indicating that the recorder was on.

"LNOS Volta, this is Alexander Kane, Deputy Precentor-General of the Occator Conglomerate Corporate Security Division," he introduced himself. "We are presently undertaking counter-pirate activity in this sector and were not made aware of a similar Lunar operation in the area. We apologise for the interference and we will divert our course with immediate effect."

"What now?" Erika enquired once the transmission closed.

"We proceed with Plan B," Alexander curtly assured her, finally turning about to face her. "Tetartarch, set course for the Eunomia system! We will continue our search for Rotmord there. In the meantime, prepare a transmission when we arrive, and leave a beacon ready to transmit shortly."

"Yes sir," three Karabisianoi responded in precise synchrony.

"The game is on, pentarcha," Alexander remarked to his apprentice with a subtle grin.
Last edited by Blakullar on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents