NATION

PASSWORD

Why doesn't America have a leadership spill system?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Populi-Terrae
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Why doesn't America have a leadership spill system?

Postby Populi-Terrae » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:28 am

The people of the United States treasure their freedoms so dearly that the right to freedom of speech is the First Amendment of the Constitution, they were willing to fight to the death to end slavery in the United States and they are willing to fight and die overseas to protect their nation's freedom, yet, I'm surprirsed that they don't have a insurance policy for the President of the United States in the event that he loses the support of his party.

In Australia, we have a leadership spill system. To put it simply, a leadership spill is a system by which the members of a political party can come together for an internal election on whether the leader of their party will remain in that role. This also happens in the ruling party, so if the leader of the Liberal Party was kicked out by his own party, his deputy would become Prime Minister.

You would've thought that this system would've been one of the things that the Founding Fathers (I am aware that they didn't want political parties) would've implemented for possible parties to easily depose their leader and replace him with someone else.

This is not the same as impeachment, just so you know.

What do you think? Should America have a leadership spill system?
We are a free and democratic nation. Right now, we're MT. But we're getting close to becoming PMT.

The animal on our flag is a lion, not a dog.

You may use NS stats. (except for the income tax and income equality)

Terraen Radio Broadcasting: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407688&hilit=terraen (Sign ups-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407818&sid=38747f80d1c4bbd3b93653970f69e0a7)

If you want to RP with me or judge my nation, just telegram me.
Terraen News Network:Police take custody of infant of teenage parents soon after birth|Scientists announce ethanol-free alcohol|President Hayo opens doors to Supreme Authority refugees|Historian criticized after 'Revolutionaries murdered children and mothers' comment

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:49 am

Basically, America was one of, if not the first, modern democracies. Later democratic governments were able to adapt and iterate on what worked and what didn't; but America still has the same system it did in the 1800s, so it lacks many modern innovations.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 am

It would be another failed hail Mary the Liberals would try and look like fools after it blew up in their faces, just like when they tried it with the recounts and electoral college.

Trump is President. #DealWithIt

Deutsch Mitteleuropa
Envoy

Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsch Mitteleuropa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:57 am

Basically what Tsar said. America's democracy is old and classic. And while parties became integral to the culture of the US, Washington was against them.

Besides, the President is a role independent of their party as soon as they are inaugurated. The President differs from a Prime Minister (and a Presidential Republic from a Parliamentary one) in that a President is elected by the people, while a Prime Minister is selected by the majority party/coalition in the legislative organ. Therefore, while it is logical for the ruling party to get rid of the head of government in parliamentary Australia, but that is not the case in Presidential America. I think a President is better, you are free to agree or disagree.
Last edited by Deutsch Mitteleuropa on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not use NS Stats.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature

The Berliner News: Mitteleuropa grants limited sovereignty to its regions based on nationality | Yet another constitution | The Kaiser still hasn't grown hair on his face. What a wuss!

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:10 am

Deutsch Mitteleuropa wrote:Basically what Tsar said. America's democracy old and classic. And while parties became integral to the culture of the US, Washington was against them.

Besides, the President is a role independent of their party as soon as they are inaugurated. The President differs from a Prime Minister (and a Presidential Republic from a Parliamentary one) in that a President is elected by the people, while a Prime Minister is selected by the majority party/coalition in the legislative organ. Therefore, while it is logical for the ruling party to get rid of the head of government in parliamentary Australia, but that is not the case in Presidential America. I think a President is better, you are free to agree or disagree.

This would be particularly true if the President were neither a Democrat nor a Republican, should such a situation ever occur.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:12 am

President is a very different position from PMs and ceremonial presidents in other countries. The president is supposed to be a symbol of our democracy as well as a powerful check on the other two branches. Having someone elected by the people kicked out by politiking doesn't look good.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Deutsch Mitteleuropa
Envoy

Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsch Mitteleuropa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:16 am

I agree with Jello. The political stagnation must end. I'd like Prop. Rep. please. With a Federal Government as strong as the current American one is, first-past-the-post state elections are obsolete.
I do not use NS Stats.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature

The Berliner News: Mitteleuropa grants limited sovereignty to its regions based on nationality | Yet another constitution | The Kaiser still hasn't grown hair on his face. What a wuss!

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19 am

Because Americans vote for individual candidates, not the party they happen to be a part of.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General