NATION

PASSWORD

World population

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Consigahria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

World population

Postby Consigahria » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:34 am

We have stats available to us such as regional population, and the number of regions existing in the world. It might take a few months for a single individual to do presently, but one could compile a list of each and every nation and their populations, including ones which have just been created but excluding ones which have just expired, effectively calculating the world population. This could be useful information, and I'm sure it could be done within minutes automatically. Considering we have a counter of nations within a specific region for ranking purposes, we should also have a counter of people, on a national scale (we already have this implemented), a regional scale (to a point, we also have this already implemented), and on a global scale.
Last edited by [violet] on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam
NSWiki article
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Any resemblance of any post created by this nation to a real character, place, or idea is completely coincidental and unintentional.
The Scribe of the Prime Minister of the Just Monocracy of the Consigahrian Commonwealth and the Vermillion Plantations
c/o Vermillion City Capital Building
45859 Rural Drive NE
Vermillion City, Capitol Territory
Consigahria

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:23 am

Not a half bad idea, though not sure it'll be a easy thing for the admins to implement though

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:22 am

According to the game code's calculations, this nation has a population of 23.205 billion.
However according to this nation's own [IC] latest census the population total is actually slightly under 20 million.
It isn't the only nation that's run on such a basis, neither.

So, which version of the numbers would you count? Either way around, some people would regard your 'World Population' figure as inaccurate...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:47 am

Game code. Regarding people not viewing populations as correct, that is going to happen either way unless people can edit their own populations, which isn't going to happen. I still think the world's population needs to be divided by about 100 so nations get 50-70,000 a day, the 30 billion nations are instead 300 million and a nation starts off with a more realistic 50,000. Could make an IC zombie day, GA resolution resulting in unintended genocide or something that causes the blanket reduction. But I digress.

So where would this IC population figure be displayed? The region population figure has been changed to average region population, but a separate/non average based one would work fine. But where would the world total go?
Last edited by Flanderlion on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Not a half bad idea, though not sure it'll be a easy thing for the admins to implement though

It doesn't sound like it would be all that complicated to code -- it's just adding up numbers -- but it doesn't sound like the most useful or interesting feature.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:02 pm

I can do that right now. The world population is 462,355,160,000,000
Last edited by Aclion on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The United Providences of Perland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Aclion wrote:I can do that right now. The world population is 462,355,160,000,000

Is that really it :lol: :clap: Anyways, I like this idea, just a cool stat type of thing. Plus, you can see how your nation contributes to it, which I think would be cool.
It's been over two years that Perland has been on Nation States!
Author of issues 651: Black Days for @@NAME@@ and 1016: Breaking Upset

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Aclion wrote:I can do that right now. The world population is 462,355,160,000,000

How'd you calculate that?

Volitopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Volitopia » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Interesting idea

Bears Armed wrote:According to the game code's calculations, this nation has a population of 23.205 billion.
However according to this nation's own [IC] latest census the population total is actually slightly under 20 million.
It isn't the only nation that's run on such a basis, neither.
So, which version of the numbers would you count? Either way around, some people would regard your 'World Population' figure as inaccurate...

The people who put "I don't use NS Stats" in their signatures still get counted to world averages. Same thing here. The stats are added, and a world population count is established. Of course, as with all stats, you don't have to follow them. (But methinks you should have a good reason to not)

However, I think a "universe population" would be more accurate, as can you imagine there being over several hundred billion people on Earth (discounting magical shrinking devices)?
Last edited by Volitopia on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Socio Polor wrote:

How'd you calculate that?

You can use the daily dump, and just go through it. A script can do that quite fast.

The average in the WA census is a median.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Consigahria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2007

Postby Consigahria » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Interesting replies.
The United Providences of Perland wrote:

Is that really it :lol: :clap: Anyways, I like this idea, just a cool stat type of thing. Plus, you can see how your nation contributes to it, which I think would be cool.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:How'd you calculate that?

You can use the daily dump, and just go through it. A script can do that quite fast.

The average in the WA census is a median.

Interesting. That's awesome! I really would like to know the details on how you did that.

But yeah, my proposal was, the... "universal" population should be featured on the World's main page, and on the homepage where it says over x nations served. :|
Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam
NSWiki article
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Any resemblance of any post created by this nation to a real character, place, or idea is completely coincidental and unintentional.
The Scribe of the Prime Minister of the Just Monocracy of the Consigahrian Commonwealth and the Vermillion Plantations
c/o Vermillion City Capital Building
45859 Rural Drive NE
Vermillion City, Capitol Territory
Consigahria

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical