NATION

PASSWORD

GCRs, Sinkers, and the Missing Lady of the Lake

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

GCRs, Sinkers, and the Missing Lady of the Lake

Postby Escade » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Contemplating the 2016 election and the Inaguration today in the United States of America...I have arrived at a very stunning conclusion.

All this...all of this...was a result of one moment in time.

See several score months ago I had originated a thread about a GCR or Sinker named after a female Goddess...a new kind of region that would function differently..in a way that would prevent the calcification of power that often occurs in NS game created regions.

However...NS Mods chose the blue pill. And now the U.S. has Donald Trump as President. :eyebrow:

Are you happy NS? Is this the world you wanted?

On the other hand, while the world itself may go through an interesting time in the near future, NS can still turn back timeconsider shuffling the sinkers\feeders in ways that shakes up the game.

A region where the players randomly are delegate for a day or a week? A region that functions differently in some mechanism that makes it more lively? One named after a feminine spirit and therefore originator of a whole new culture?

Sygian II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sygian II » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Almost anything that helps spice up the constant staleness that NationStates goes through every once in a while is a good thing.

A region where the players randomly are delegate for a day or a week?

I love this idea. xD
Benevolent Thomas wrote:The Black Hawks continue to be the largest and most successful invader organization in NationStates

Maj. Sygian

Council Advisor of The Black Hawks

LollerLand
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby LollerLand » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 am

Escade wrote:A region where the players randomly are delegate for a day or a week?
So like a GCR made for anarchy? That would be interesting..
One named after a feminine spirit and therefore originator of a whole new culture?

I like this.
Loller Kingsmoreaux Corleone
WA Delegate, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Lord of Autumn of The Autumnal Court of Caer Sidi

Brihimia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Brihimia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:57 am

LollerLand wrote:
Escade wrote:A region where the players randomly are delegate for a day or a week?
So like a GCR made for anarchy? That would be interesting..

All GCRs are made for anarchy.
brihimia

North Krualstiken
Spokesperson

Founded: May 05, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby North Krualstiken » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:02 am

Escade wrote:Contemplating the 2016 election and the Inaguration today in the United States of America...I have arrived at a very stunning conclusion.

See several score months ago I had originated a thread about a GCR or Sinker named after a female Goddess...a new kind of region that would function differently..in a way that would prevent the calcification of power that often occurs in NS game created regions.

However...NS Mods chose the blue pill. And now the U.S. has Donald Trump as President. :eyebrow:

On the other hand, while the world itself may go through an interesting time in the near future, NS can still turn back timeconsider shuffling the sinkers\feeders in ways that shakes up the game.

A region where the players randomly are delegate for a day or a week? A region that functions differently in some mechanism that makes it more lively? One named after a feminine spirit and therefore originator of a whole new culture?

I like this idea,

but it needs more cowbell
Bow before me, Meurkiin. I am Michelangelo and you are my clay. I will sculpt you from simple farmers into mighty warriors, a weapon of war. You shall take my whip with gratitude, and praise me for each lash, for I am your master, and you; the slave.
General Dicking Around wrote:AND THEN JOHN SMASHED THE WINDOW AND FUCKED A GOOSE WITH A LIGHTSABER

Queen Yuno
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Yuno » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 am

We need an asian goddess GCR >w<
Stop giving misogynistic abusers a platform. Anyone who sides with Tiktok Star Andrew Tate even 1% of what he says will be treated as enemy who should be shamed out of society. Impressions+Views+Videowatches=$. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. I don't care if he said "some good stuff", it's still bad because: the more you watch him, the more ad revenue MONEY and algorithm BOOSTS you're giving him to traffick victims. And don't say the victim lied, a young man stupidly told me that the victim confessed to lying, I told em to link me proof, articles or the Audio of her confession, he googled and found 0 proof 0 articles, and he realized he was spreading fake rumors he heard and BELIEVED without fact-check. Don't brand victims as liars without GOOGLING. Debated here

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:18 am

Queen Yuno wrote:We need an asian goddess GCR >w<

Let's just call it Yuno.
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

Sygian II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sygian II » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 am

Turn Yuno into a GCR? :P
Benevolent Thomas wrote:The Black Hawks continue to be the largest and most successful invader organization in NationStates

Maj. Sygian

Council Advisor of The Black Hawks

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:17 pm

I liked this idea last time it got posted. My vote would be for the lovely Goddess of Chaos Eris! (AKA Discordia)

Sadly it seems unlikely the powers to be will do this though. :/
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

All Good People
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby All Good People » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm

The Stalker wrote:I liked this idea last time it got posted. My vote would be for the lovely Goddess of Chaos Eris! (AKA Discordia)

How about Pandæmonium, the capital of Hell ;)
Westwind of All Good People
Three Time World Assembly Delegate of The West Pacific
Former UN/WA Delegate Lewis and Clark of The North Pacific
Co-Founder and Emeritus Rex Westwind of Equilism

The West Pacific Forum: http://twp.nosync.org
Equilism Forum: http://www.equilism.org.forum

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 pm

I remember that thread. Isis was the most popular GCR sinker name. Thankfully the mods didn't act on that.

Though if we the need necessitates for a new sinker, I'm still sticking with Izanami, lol.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:01 pm

I don't think it necessarily need to be a sinker, might be more call for another feeder since they dwarf the sinkers by well over a thousand.

All Good People wrote:
The Stalker wrote:I liked this idea last time it got posted. My vote would be for the lovely Goddess of Chaos Eris! (AKA Discordia)

How about Pandæmonium, the capital of Hell ;)

Haha there you go I like that idea, but then I'd naturally have to claim it as my own. ;)

I once suggested turning Hell into or creating a "Jail" region, where all Condemned nations would be forcibly located. Kinda adding an actual punishment to being condemned and creating the first unleavable region.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Brihimia wrote:
LollerLand wrote:So like a GCR made for anarchy? That would be interesting..

All GCRs are made for anarchy.
Have you had a look at them in the last four or five years? Most GCR regimes have been stable for quite a long time, and all recent coups happened because of rogue delegates or security officers (ie, none since Devonitians was a complete outsider endoswapping their way to power).

LollerLand wrote:
So like a GCR made for anarchy?
Just rename Osiris to "Eris", and most of the job is done. :P
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Of the names previously proposed Isis was pretty but maybe too close to Osiris. We also have Persephone and Selene which would help with a more Grecian themed regional culture. I assume we could do Asian or Native American just someone would have to do Research.

Abbas Khan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Abbas Khan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Escade wrote:Of the names previously proposed Isis was pretty but maybe too close to Osiris. We also have Persephone and Selene which would help with a more Grecian themed regional culture. I assume we could do Asian or Native American just someone would have to do Research.

The common theme of the sinkers is that they rose from the dead. Like how nations do in them. I don't believe Selene did so.

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

My love, who says we have to mimic the sinkers?

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Escade wrote:Contemplating the 2016 election and the Inaguration today in the United States of America...I have arrived at a very stunning conclusion.

To be fair, it literally looked like the female sinker was going to be named Isis. We did dodge -a- bullet there :v

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Escade wrote:My love, who says we have to mimic the sinkers?

I mean, you really shouldn't be having another sinker at all. It's absolutely ridiculous to ask for another sinker, given the current endorsement counts of the present sinker regions. As nice as having one named after a female goddess sounds, adding a sinker just for the sake of that makes little sense. Given that we're going to be likely sticking by current naming conventions for each set of GCRs, I doubt we should be looking to name one after a goddess and therefore add another sinker. Now, what should be a vibe would be to look into adding new Feeder regions to help de-saturate the ridiculous endorsement levels that they currently hold, and the utter impregnability of them which has led to significant diplomatic arrogance from leaders in some of these regions. Personally, I'm keen on throwing another ocean into the mix for Feeders.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:38 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:

I mean, you really shouldn't be having another sinker at all. It's absolutely ridiculous to ask for another sinker, given the current endorsement counts of the present sinker regions. As nice as having one named after a female goddess sounds, adding a sinker just for the sake of that makes little sense. Given that we're going to be likely sticking by current naming conventions for each set of GCRs, I doubt we should be looking to name one after a goddess and therefore add another sinker. Now, what should be a vibe would be to look into adding new Feeder regions to help de-saturate the ridiculous endorsement levels that they currently hold, and the utter impregnability of them which has led to significant diplomatic arrogance from leaders in some of these regions. Personally, I'm keen on throwing another ocean into the mix for Feeders.

the Atlantic?

Oceania?
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:

Tim spoke to me directly! It's a miracle! Finally the Cold War has thawed.

I actually agree about adding a new region but why add one that is a feeder (and yes the endo counts are high so this would help) and continue the same old same old? I think the idea is to have something a little more amenable to chaos so any or all of the following:
1. A region that is part feeder (takes in new nations) and part sinker (randomly revive here)
2. A region where the delegate position is randomized to some degree whether that it has an automatic limit (30 days for example), WA nations from the region are randomly chosen on a particular update every x days and therefore there is a scramble, etc
3. Give it a pretty girly name...I mean don't we have enough Pacifics as it is? And enough dead men who came back to life? Persephone is also nice because of the half alive\half dead and would work well with some of the theme above.

Obviously I favor moon goddesses and the moon because of the poetry possible.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 am

Escade wrote:
Tim-Opolis wrote:I mean, you really shouldn't be having another sinker at all. It's absolutely ridiculous to ask for another sinker, given the current endorsement counts of the present sinker regions. As nice as having one named after a female goddess sounds, adding a sinker just for the sake of that makes little sense. Given that we're going to be likely sticking by current naming conventions for each set of GCRs, I doubt we should be looking to name one after a goddess and therefore add another sinker. Now, what should be a vibe would be to look into adding new Feeder regions to help de-saturate the ridiculous endorsement levels that they currently hold, and the utter impregnability of them which has led to significant diplomatic arrogance from leaders in some of these regions. Personally, I'm keen on throwing another ocean into the mix for Feeders.

Tim spoke to me directly! It's a miracle! Finally the Cold War has thawed.

I actually agree about adding a new region but why add one that is a feeder (and yes the endo counts are high so this would help) and continue the same old same old? I think the idea is to have something a little more amenable to chaos so any or all of the following:
1. A region that is part feeder (takes in new nations) and part sinker (randomly revive here)
2. A region where the delegate position is randomized to some degree whether that it has an automatic limit (30 days for example), WA nations from the region are randomly chosen on a particular update every x days and therefore there is a scramble, etc
3. Give it a pretty girly name...I mean don't we have enough Pacifics as it is? And enough dead men who came back to life? Persephone is also nice because of the half alive\half dead and would work well with some of the theme above.

Obviously I favor moon goddesses and the moon because of the poetry possible.

Yup, I still continue to have literally no idea what this "Cold War" shit is, because you've never actually told me.

1. That seems like something to ask Technical.
2. That seems like something to ask Technical.
3. I'm keen on an Atlantic personally for a new Feeder region. As I've pointed out literally all the time, I have no issues with a female sinker, except for the fact that it would be rather moronic to add yet another sinker region to the currennt dynamic. If we're going with a female name Feeder, I'd be keen on either Ceres or Juno.

The point I'm trying to make with #1 and #2 is that this is neither a topic for Gameplay, in reference to advocating for new types of regions, and that it's not really a topic worth discussing without checking if there's a Hard No on the matter from Admin. Now to also quickly address them, #1 would just make a saturated super-region, while also hurting Sinkers, so let's not. As for #2, there just seems to be absolutely no point in it besides for a whimsical "It would be fun" kind of vibe.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Oh Tim (person who never replies to TGs from nations who refounded when you were Delegate), sometimes you lack a whimsy bone :(

Also boo Juno and Ceres both of them seem kind of second tier.

The Atlantic would be okay but then it would The Atlantic and the 5-6 Pacific feeders and a little idk unmatchy.

In terms of names and mythologies, Celtic myth and folklore aren't really covered (and are rich for worldbuilding) so something like Brigid might be nice:
Brigid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid)
Last edited by Escade on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Darkesia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 am

Agrona, reconstructed Proto-Celtic name for the river Aeron in Wales, and possibly the name of an associated war goddess...

Welsh
Water
War
Woman

It's got all the W's.

I would coup it, perhaps.
But wouldn't it risk becoming just another warzone region? Where is the fun in competing if the prize is easily obtained?
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Dalimbar
Envoy

Founded: Jul 19, 2004
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dalimbar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:53 am

Tim-Opolis wrote:3. I'm keen on an Atlantic personally for a new Feeder region.

I also was keen on that idea several years back, but was laughed at by the Mods at the time... I'm sure you'll have better luck, Tim!
Dalimbar,
Delegate / Pharaoh (Ret.) of Osiris
Delegate (Ret.) of The North Pacific
Guardian (Ret.) of The West Pacific
Member of the Ex-Feeder Tyrant Club
Escade - @Dali how many husbands do you have and why do you take the bestest ones
Dali -1. Who knows. 2. Because I am a scoundrel.
---
Ark - He shows off some obscure but tasteful art, features smoking heavily, and is ironically more popular now than when he was published
---
Comrade Senator Marina - Dali is the most fabulous man alive and the bane of all uncouped regions

Unibot III
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:47 pm

The Pacific is split into segments. You can't split the Pacific into further segments without sounding silly ("The Arctic Pacific, The South-East Pacific.") Atlantic regions are already pretty common and established - the admins would have to seize their regions despite decades of history.

I would suggest seas rather than oceans.

The Yellow Sea is the only colour sea off the Pacific, the Red Sea is then closest, then the Black Sea, then finally, the White Sea. They're simple generic names like East, North, West and South, that could come to be associated with whatever local culture, the politics demanded.

EDIT: the Coral Sea isn't typically listed with the Red, Yellow, Black and White seas, but it's also incidentally a colour sea and Pacific-bound. Pink too!
Last edited by Unibot III on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25-05-2008 | Former Delegate of TRR

Factbook // Collected works // Gameplay Alignment Test //
9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Headlines from Unibot // WASC HQ: A Guide

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads