NATION

PASSWORD

Philosophy General: You Kant say that!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Philosophy needs to be taught at school

Yes
79
60%
No
21
16%
Yes, on the condition that no homework is given
32
24%
 
Total votes : 132

User avatar
Gondolaulus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 626
Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Philosophy General: You Kant say that!

Postby Gondolaulus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 am

Seeing many threads discussing religions, political ideologies and recent events I decided to make a thread regarding one of history's most amazing products; philosophy! Well, why think about life? Because in that way you kill your time, albeit less efficient than playing computer games, but at least you can brag about it to your grandparents.

Personally, I am hugely influenced by Stoicism and their metaphysical idea of everything coming from (and to!) one foundation, aka God/Logos. Plato's forms, perfect ideas of what X should be in another realm, fit into my metaphysical worldview too.

The point of this thread is to learn about the joy of philosophy, whether theistic or atheistic, modern or ancient. As a starting discussion, I would like to come on the following topic:


Philosophy needs to be taught at high school, as a standard

I personally believe this will be a good thing, as philosophy encourages people to think ''outside their box'', encourages people to make their own worldview detached from previous orientations. Because it promotes self-reflection.
Last edited by Gondolaulus on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as Aulus by some.
I am: Iron Pill, Muslim, native European
PRO: Integralism, Perennialism, Esoterism, Sufism.
ANTI: Salafism, Wahhabism, Daesh, interventionism.

Former history/Catholic theology/philosophy student.
RIP Jochy unjustly deleted defending Islamic pride ☪6-2-2017

User avatar
Community Values
Minister
 
Posts: 2056
Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Community Values » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:21 am

Just the thread I was looking for. Recently, after being an edgy ubermensch, I've started looking into Kierkegaard, and so far I like him.

I'm a bit bad at understanding philosophical texts though.

User avatar
Gondolaulus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 626
Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Gondolaulus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 am

Community Values wrote:Just the thread I was looking for. Recently, after being an edgy ubermensch, I've started looking into Kierkegaard, and so far I like him.

I'm a bit bad at understanding philosophical texts though.

What do you particullary like about Kierkegaard? He seems full of doubt to me. Also quite...subjective. Applying his own values as something objective.
Also known as Aulus by some.
I am: Iron Pill, Muslim, native European
PRO: Integralism, Perennialism, Esoterism, Sufism.
ANTI: Salafism, Wahhabism, Daesh, interventionism.

Former history/Catholic theology/philosophy student.
RIP Jochy unjustly deleted defending Islamic pride ☪6-2-2017

User avatar
Pasong Tirad
Minister
 
Posts: 2938
Founded: May 31, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pasong Tirad » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:37 am

I remember a story from college about one of the best philosophy professors in the Philippines (yes, the whole Philippines) being invited to a kid's Christening. The baby was passed to him and he said to the baby in a soft, cooing manner: "Mamamatay ka rin. ("You're going to die [one day].") And when confronted by it, people were shocked but then again, because we were studying Heidegger when we were taught this, the idea was to acknowledge that, well, that was true. That kid is going to die one day and the idea was that there was no point in dilly-dallying around the subject.

Suffice it to say I am very influenced by Heidegger - though I don't think primary schools kids have the necessary abilities to understand him.

And yes, I do think philosophy should be taught in schools.
Democracy Demands Dissent
Filipino, bisexual member of the Gay Agenda™, supporter of Liberation Theology.
For: Filipino Liberalism, Liberal Catholicism, Liberation Theology, democracy, secularism, freedom of the press, speech, and religion, LGBT Rights, marriage equality, right to choice, immigration, universal healthcare, free access to reproductive health services, legalization of divorce in the Philippines, self-determination of the Bangsamoro people.
Neutral: I'm either for or against something, or will be for or against it once I've learned enough about it.
Against: Authoritarianism, neo-imperialism, historical revisionism, state-sponsored extrajudicial murder, the return of a Marcos to Malacañang.
Still waiting for Bernardo Carpio.

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11731
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Alvecia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 am

On your last point I'm not so sure that philosophy education encourages people to make their own worldview.
This is annecdotal, but I've found that those I know that actually have studied philosophy and philosophers tend to "identify" with certain philosophical icons or schools of thought. Taking on the ideals of others, and fitting into these handy little categories that they learn about.
Then there's people like myself who know next to nothing about the common, or uncommon, philosophical schools of thought and the ideals that those schools encompass. I personally have my ideals, my morals, and my ethics, and I don't ascribe them to any one person or school. I might align with certain ones if you were to compare me and them, but I've come to those ideals independent of past influences, which I think makes mine much more my own "worldview", than that of someone who identifies and empathises with certain schools, and attempts to emulate the ideals proscribed by said schools.
British
Atheist
IT Support

Allanea wrote:The plural of anecdote is not data.
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
United Marxist Nations
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33837
Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:59 am

Alvecia wrote:On your last point I'm not so sure that philosophy education encourages people to make their own worldview.
This is annecdotal, but I've found that those I know that actually have studied philosophy and philosophers tend to "identify" with certain philosophical icons or schools of thought. Taking on the ideals of others, and fitting into these handy little categories that they learn about.
Then there's people like myself who know next to nothing about the common, or uncommon, philosophical schools of thought and the ideals that those schools encompass. I personally have my ideals, my morals, and my ethics, and I don't ascribe them to any one person or school. I might align with certain ones if you were to compare me and them, but I've come to those ideals independent of past influences, which I think makes mine much more my own "worldview", than that of someone who identifies and empathises with certain schools, and attempts to emulate the ideals proscribed by said schools.

The emphasized strikes me as very unlikely, we are all influenced by philosophical outlooks, even as little children. Ideology forms the core of our outlook, no matter what else we ascribe to it.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11731
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Alvecia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 am

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Alvecia wrote:On your last point I'm not so sure that philosophy education encourages people to make their own worldview.
This is annecdotal, but I've found that those I know that actually have studied philosophy and philosophers tend to "identify" with certain philosophical icons or schools of thought. Taking on the ideals of others, and fitting into these handy little categories that they learn about.
Then there's people like myself who know next to nothing about the common, or uncommon, philosophical schools of thought and the ideals that those schools encompass. I personally have my ideals, my morals, and my ethics, and I don't ascribe them to any one person or school. I might align with certain ones if you were to compare me and them, but I've come to those ideals independent of past influences, which I think makes mine much more my own "worldview", than that of someone who identifies and empathises with certain schools, and attempts to emulate the ideals proscribed by said schools.

The emphasized strikes me as very unlikely, we are all influenced by philosophical outlooks, even as little children. Ideology forms the core of our outlook, no matter what else we ascribe to it.

My point was more I wasn't told "This is what X thinks" and "This is what Y believes". It was more "X is a thing" and "Y is a belief".
I wasn't introduced to the label, the category.
British
Atheist
IT Support

Allanea wrote:The plural of anecdote is not data.
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Uinted Communist of Africa
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1089
Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uinted Communist of Africa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:21 am

Well I just want to point out that shouldn't a religion be considered a type of philosophy?
I mean isn't it the same principle?
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
[_★_] copy and paste this Comrades to your signature. Join the revolution!!!!
( -_- )

"We are fifty or a hundred years behind the advanced countries. We must make good this distance in ten years. Either we do it, or they will crush us." - J. V. Stalin, 1931

User avatar
The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16557
Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Anarchy

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

NSG's friendly neighborhood dialectical egoist here.

My influences would be Nietzsche, Marx, Stirner, Hegel, Zizek, Heidegger, Camus, Mackie, Debord, Vaneigem and (in a very limited way) Jung and de Benoist.
Last edited by The New Sea Territory on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bisexual
Guitarist

I like metal, neofolk, punk,
Tarkovsky, MtG,
Metro 2033, philosophy,
RC Cola, poetry,
and Fallout

Studying Latin (5 years) and Russian (2 years).

I also like Ta'agra (Khajiit), Anglish,
other Slavic and ancient Germanic languages.
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

User avatar
Gondolaulus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 626
Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Gondolaulus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:12 am

Uinted Communist of Africa wrote:Well I just want to point out that shouldn't a religion be considered a type of philosophy?
I mean isn't it the same principle?

Not really, philosophy doesn't necessarily have to be religious and vice versa.
Also known as Aulus by some.
I am: Iron Pill, Muslim, native European
PRO: Integralism, Perennialism, Esoterism, Sufism.
ANTI: Salafism, Wahhabism, Daesh, interventionism.

Former history/Catholic theology/philosophy student.
RIP Jochy unjustly deleted defending Islamic pride ☪6-2-2017

User avatar
Community Values
Minister
 
Posts: 2056
Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Community Values » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am

Gondolaulus wrote:
Community Values wrote:Just the thread I was looking for. Recently, after being an edgy ubermensch, I've started looking into Kierkegaard, and so far I like him.

I'm a bit bad at understanding philosophical texts though.

What do you particullary like about Kierkegaard? He seems full of doubt to me. Also quite...subjective. Applying his own values as something objective.

Again, I have not read too much of him, nor do I really know how to read philosophical texts, so I wouldn't know.

From the 10 pages of Fear and Trembling, he seems alright.

User avatar
Risottia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48409
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Risottia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

Gondolaulus wrote:Personally, I am hugely influenced by Stoicism and their metaphysical idea of everything coming from (and to!) one foundation, aka God/Logos. Plato's forms, perfect ideas of what X should be in another realm, fit into my metaphysical worldview too.


My major influences are Kant, Galilei, Russell and Marx; also Descartes, Nietzsche, Bohr, Demokritos, Sokrates, Aristoteles and Lobachevskij (yes, counts as a philosopher too).
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 88178
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:43 am

Risottia wrote:
Gondolaulus wrote:Personally, I am hugely influenced by Stoicism and their metaphysical idea of everything coming from (and to!) one foundation, aka God/Logos. Plato's forms, perfect ideas of what X should be in another realm, fit into my metaphysical worldview too.


My major influences are Kant, Galilei, Russell and Marx; also Descartes, Nietzsche, Bohr, Demokritos, Sokrates, Aristoteles and Lobachevskij (yes, counts as a philosopher too).

You still owe Aristotle three drachmas, you know. Luckily, he's dead.

Descartes was a beloved friend of mine, though I will admit that I quickly became confused when we talked philosophy (it might have been the wine, too). Socrates was an interesting fellow but ... let's say eccentric. I liked Plato better, such shoulders on that boy. Aristotle was a little too full of himself for my taste. Nietzsche's moustache gave me bad dreams for a year after I met him. Never met Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevski but I know a song about him.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickels
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
RIP Dyakovo | In support of Arch
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy

User avatar
The Union of the West
Minister
 
Posts: 2113
Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Union of the West » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 am

I'm not as interested in philosophy (beyond political philosophy, anyway) as I used to be, but I do think it should be taught in schools.
Anglo-Caþolic
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

User avatar
Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26636
Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Conscentia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 am

As my factbook says, these are my philosophical positions: Theological noncognitivism; Metaphysical naturalism; Physicalism; Eternalism; Perdurantism; Hard determinism; Existential nihilism; Moral nihilism; Philosophical pessimism; Philosophical anarchism; Other(s).

I would probably support the inclusion of Philosophy in the education system, depending on how it was taught. Taught appropriately, it could increase breadth of understanding on philosophical subjects, improve awareness of the relevance of philosophy, teach students how to formulate better arguments, and improve critical thinking.

Alvecia wrote:On your last point I'm not so sure that philosophy education encourages people to make their own worldview.
This is annecdotal, but I've found that those I know that actually have studied philosophy and philosophers tend to "identify" with certain philosophical icons or schools of thought. Taking on the ideals of others, and fitting into these handy little categories that they learn about.
Then there's people like myself who know next to nothing about the common, or uncommon, philosophical schools of thought and the ideals that those schools encompass. I personally have my ideals, my morals, and my ethics, and I don't ascribe them to any one person or school. I might align with certain ones if you were to compare me and them, but I've come to those ideals independent of past influences, which I think makes mine much more my own "worldview", than that of someone who identifies and empathises with certain schools, and attempts to emulate the ideals proscribed by said schools.

Being able to name one's positions and influences does not necessarily mean that one is trying to conform to the views of others. People identify with particular philosophies and philosophers because their arguments are convincing and it allows those people to express their own views concisely by referring to a point of reference. Instead of having to explain my philosophy from scratch each time I want to talk about it, I can just tell my opponent 'I espouse Aism' and they can say 'Oh, yeah, I've looked into Aism but I think Bism is more convincing'.
Last edited by Conscentia on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Feriq
Secretary
 
Posts: 31
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Feriq » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 am

Absolutely. The three most basic subjects that should be focused on in school are Mathematics, Statistics, and Philosophy.

Philosophy being the most important for critical thinking and debate skills necessary to formulate a coherent worldview. The art of discussion has largely been lost in the digital age due to our dismissal of "impractical" subjects.

User avatar
Aelex
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10898
Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Aelex » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:49 am

Here in France it is mandatory for the three years of college for the section "L" (for Literature), the two last years of college for the section "E.S" (for Economic & Social) and for the last year of "S" (for Scientific).
I'm myself part of the last one and I have to say that I find said classes of Philosophy to be boring as shit as we're basically spending 4 hours a week listening to some guy blabbering about himself and are more or less ensured to have an overall average below 10 with a coefficient of 4 at the end of each trimester.

Now, I'm not really sure whether it's a good thing or not to have said mandatory classes but I would say that out of the little philosophy I read (Pascal and Descartes as well as some stoicians) none was because of or for (or even related to for a fair share) what we studied.
Last edited by Aelex on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

User avatar
Feriq
Secretary
 
Posts: 31
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Feriq » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 am

Aelex wrote:Here in France it is mandatory for the three years of college for the section "L" (for Literature), the two last years of college for the section "E.S" (for Economic & Social) and for the last year of "S" (for Scientific).
I'm myself part of the last one and I have to say that I find said classes of Philosophy to be boring as shit as we're basically spending 4 hours a week listening to some guy blabbering about himself and are more or less ensured to have an overall average below 10 with a coefficient of 4 at the end of each trimester.

Now, I'm not really sure whether it's a good thing or not to have said mandatory classes but I would say that out of the little philosophy I read (Pascal and Descartes as well as some stoicians) none was because of or for (or even related to for a fair share) what we studied.


That's because lectures are worthless. The entire point of philosophy is discussion, it is not at all compatible with the traditional classroom.

User avatar
Trotskylvania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16407
Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Day's since the last Kant/can't pun

Image
"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

User avatar
Thunder Place
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 423
Founded: Nov 20, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thunder Place » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Christian existentialist checking in.
Christian. If no one can serve two masters, and Jesus is lord, that implies that no one else can be lord. Christians overcome by submitting, like Jesus overcame death by submitting to it. That's the essence of nonviolence. No lords or masters except the one lord and master- every other master is in competition with him. If we can't serve both God and money, then money can't serve both God and us. Let Caesar keep his money- as for us, we'll hold our possessions in common. We need a culture of care instead of a culture of violence. He who lives by the sword dies by the sword.
Men, whites, Christians, straights, cis folks, rich folks, healthy folks, citizens, and intellectuals are as unworthy of power as everyone else.
Violence against yourself is still violence.

User avatar
The Liberated Territories
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9081
Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm still always changing my philosophical opinions, so it is hard to attach a label to myself. I guess my current philosophy is "anti-labelism."
"I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time." — H.L. Mencken

Now an atheist/anti-theist

User avatar
MERIZoC
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19475
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Day's since the last Kant/can't pun

(Image)

Ahhh, that was the joke I came in to make. Oh well.
Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it. -Henry David Thoreau
More on me
“I love you, but why must you love the law? 'Tis plain for all to see that she's a whore...that virtuous persons have no need to woo; that villains screw, then studiously ignore.”

Member of the Lianhua Enterprises Team: For Business and Prosperity!
Admin in the NSG Senate

User avatar
Yoshida
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1319
Founded: Nov 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Yoshida » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 pm

NSG's favorite irrationalist here.

Started reading Bergson and Nietzsche recently.
Federalist, Pure Land Buddhist, Corporatist
He never fails
To reach the Lotus Land of Bliss Who calls,
If only once,
The name of Amida.
My nation (partially) represents my ideal society. Feel free to telegram me about it if you have any thoughts.

User avatar
Risottia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48409
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Risottia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Farnhamia wrote:You still owe Aristotle three drachmas, you know. Luckily, he's dead.

Luckily, back then we didn't know about compound interest rates and the exponential function. :D

Descartes was a beloved friend of mine, though I will admit that I quickly became confused when we talked philosophy (it might have been the wine, too). Socrates was an interesting fellow but ... let's say eccentric.

Well, his eccentricity paled when confronted with Diogenes'.

By the way, about some "minor" influences, I still remember Danton and Benji Franklin and the devastating hangovers at le Fossés Saint-Germain... that was some philosophy.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.

User avatar
Afalia
Minister
 
Posts: 3487
Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Afalia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:54 pm

I've been interested in reading some Kierkegaard. I have a passing understanding of his beliefs but I'd like to read something he actually wrote. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a good starting place?

As for teaching philosophy in school, I think it's a good idea in principle, though I can't imagine it would be super popular amongst some students.

Next

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abserdia, Aevaelon, Amuaplye, Angleter, Auzkhia, Cuprum, El-Amin Caliphate, Ethel mermania, Exabot [Bot], Frieden-und Freudenland, Galloism, Hirota, Husseinarti, Izweababa, Kannap, New haven america, Nouveau Yathrib, Ostroeuropa, Pulau Pinang, Socialist Nordia, Solocon, Talvezout, Telconi, The Cyring Baina, The East Marches II, The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord, Tinhampton, Trotskylvania, United Muscovite Nations, Yahoo [Bot]

Remove ads