NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Assisted Suicide Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9878
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] Repeal "Assisted Suicide Act"

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:44 am

Image
Repeal "Assisted Suicide Act"
Category: Repeal



This august World Assembly finds as follows:

  1. People suffering from a chronic, insurable, and painful condition should have the right to end their own lives voluntarily in a painless manner. Nations should respect an individual's choice in this manner, insofar as that choice does not harm others directly.

  2. GA 285 'Assisted Suicide Act' violates this duty by allowing some reactionary member nations to prohibit within their jurisdictions 'assisted suicide and euthanasia', forcing people to suffer, and in consequence of their regulatory decisions, become complicit and causal of the suffering those who seek euthanasia desire to avoid.

  3. While GA 285 'Assisted Suicide Act' allows people to travel to different jurisdictions, this locks out poorer people who lack such funds, from being able to access such a service. As most people who seek euthanasia are also suffering from severe medical conditions that require specialised care, GA 285's travel rights also are far more restrictive than they appear initially. Chartering a private air ambulance flight, transporting all the equipment necessary for the patient, and arrangement of medical services in a foreign nation without accepted insurance are all expensive transactions beyond the reach of, say, a terminal pensioner on a fixed income.

  4. It is more than likely that GA 285's travel provisions cannot be exercised, due to massive financial barriers, except by those who are extremely wealthy. The Assembly has in the past acted to ensure that medical care is accessible by eliminating domestic prohibitions and regulations which were created for the purpose of making certain procedures exorbitantly expensive and only available in foreign jurisdictions. This situation is no different from previous resolutions striking down policies meant to make certain procedures unaffordable and unaccessible to most people.

  5. Only by passage of such enabling legislation could the Assembly's duty to terminal patients who voluntarily seek euthanasia be fulfilled in the face of local particularists complicit in prolonging suffering. The Assembly hopes that such legislation be enacted forthwith.
Now, therefore, the World Assembly repeals GA 285 'Assisted Suicide Act'.


Addendum. viewtopic.php?p=30575807#p30575807
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:21 am, edited 12 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 38 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Kitzerland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 863
Founded: Sep 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitzerland » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 am

I would make clear that you are referring only to euthanasia with the express consent of the patient.

I support it! :hug:
Soppy Romefeller-Lancaster, Corporal in TBH
♫ In restless dreams I walked alone; Narrow streets of cobblestone ♫
The above is a Ridersyl ripoff homage.
Patriot act, Trump, baked potatoes, Immigration reform, Patriotism, racism, sexism, musicals, and anti-semitism.
Intelligent people, calculus, Liz Warren, the establishment, Obama Care, plays, Britain taking the US back.
Scientific Score: Tier 5-6
Arcane Score: Level 1
Influence Scale: Level 4-5
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

Roavin Senpai noticed meeeeeee!

User avatar
The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists
Envoy
 
Posts: 241
Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:47 am

"Hello and welcome to Soviet France if you are feeling Suicidal you have come to the right place. Because I want to f*cking kill myself too."
The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists is Open now....
Follow your instincts.

User avatar
Tinfect
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5084
Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:02 am

"The Imperium has no objections to this repeal. However, we have little to add in the form of argumentation; at this time, we can offer only our support."
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female


Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: Military Oversight announces Doctrinal Reform Plan, upcoming military trials | Former Intelligence Director Taraen Vallir, additional operatives executed | 200 year old Varat destroyer found in Balder orbit at historic shipyard location, presumed malfunction of still-installed warp drive | Archive Systems, Hyperpulse Network briefly disabled following accidental release of experimental assistance program | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10082
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:40 am

AGAINST

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Believing that people suffering through a chronic, incurable, and painful condition ought have the ability to voluntarily end end their lives,

Such an ability is already secured by international law.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Further believing that a nation ought respect an individual's choices if those choices do not harm others,

Literally, euthanasia is the act of a physician inflicting harm on a patient -- i.e., by killing him.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Observing that 285 GA grants nations 'the authority to determine for itself the legal status of assisted suicide and euthanasia', and considering that the nations which prohibit such actions are effectively forcing such people to suffer and are therefore complicit in causing the suffering which those people are attempting to avoid,

You're acting as if there's not such a thing as palliative care.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Observing that while the proposal allows for travel to different jurisdictions, such travel is extremely expensive and therefore inaccessible to the vast majority of the population,

Really? An airline ticket is significantly less expensive than a funeral.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:13 pm

I do have a few questions about the rights granted in the resolution that this would revoke, and what that would mean for citizens if nations were to decide to act on the revocation of said rights :-

(Note - to save a lot of repeated typing, just assume that "assisted suicide" refers to "euthanasia" as well)

Clause 2 permits travel out of a nation for the purpose of assisted suicide. If this resolution is repealed, would nations that forbid assisted suicide within their borders then be able to forbid their citizens to travel to other nations that still permit it?

Clause 3 prevents penalties being applied if someone refuses to take part in an assisted suicide. If the resolution is repealed, does that mean someone could be required to perform (or assist in) an assisted suicide against their will or be threatened with fines, jail or even execution (pending other WA laws, obviously).

Clause 5 ensures any laws surrounding the legalisation of assisted suicide in a member nation include requirements for safety and consent. If this resolution is repealed, can a nation make any laws it likes? Could assisted suicide potentially become a substitute for murder, only legal?

I realise that these might be an overreaction on my part, and that the general view is that because Clause 1 permits nations to decide the matter themselves that repealing it won't make much of a different, but I would like an answer to these questions because - well, because they do seem important. If not to Calladan then probably to some other nations.

So - if someone could provide me with the answers, I would be most grateful.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:19 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:AGAINST

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Believing that people suffering through a chronic, incurable, and painful condition ought have the ability to voluntarily end end their lives,

Such an ability is already secured by international law.


While I am not sure why an argument to oppose the repeal of "Assisted Suicide" is being supported by "Decriminalisation of Suicide Act" I feel it necessary to point out that in order to kill yourself you have to have control over your own body. For those who are in a truly chronic state of illness - those who are bed-bound and can not move under their own power - killing themselves is nigh on impossible. Hence the occasional need for the "assisted" part.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10082
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Calladan wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:AGAINST


Such an ability is already secured by international law.

While I am not sure why an argument to oppose the repeal of "Assisted Suicide" is being supported by "Decriminalisation of Suicide Act" I feel it necessary to point out that in order to kill yourself you have to have control over your own body. For those who are in a truly chronic state of illness - those who are bed-bound and can not move under their own power - killing themselves is nigh on impossible. Hence the occasional need for the "assisted" part.

The "assisted part" exists because patients want validation that killing oneself is legitimate. It very often has very little to do with inability and significantly more to do with the false sense of moral uprightness that a physician's involvement confers.

(The same can be said for capital punishment by lethal injection.)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:34 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Calladan wrote:While I am not sure why an argument to oppose the repeal of "Assisted Suicide" is being supported by "Decriminalisation of Suicide Act" I feel it necessary to point out that in order to kill yourself you have to have control over your own body. For those who are in a truly chronic state of illness - those who are bed-bound and can not move under their own power - killing themselves is nigh on impossible. Hence the occasional need for the "assisted" part.

The "assisted part" exists because patients want validation that killing oneself is legitimate. It very often has very little to do with inability and significantly more to do with the false sense of moral uprightness that a physician's involvement confers.

(The same can be said for capital punishment by lethal injection.)


Fair enough. For what it's worth - my support for the repeal is possibly going to come down to the answer to questions in my previous post. The grounds in the repeal seem reasonable enough, but it's the fallout of the repeal my government is worried about - the effect that repealing the other clauses will have.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9878
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:45 pm

This august World Assembly,

Believing that people suffering through a chronic, incurable, and painful condition ought have the ability to voluntarily end their lives in a painless manner,

Further believing that a nation ought respect an individual's choices if those choices do not harm others,

Observing that GA 285 grants nations 'the authority to determine for itself the legal status of assisted suicide and euthanasia', and concluding that the nations which prohibit such actions may as well be forcing such people to suffer and are therefore complicit in causing the suffering which those people are attempting to avoid,

Observing that while the proposal allows for travel to different jurisdictions to secure assisted suicide, such travel is extremely expensive because of costs originating from chartering a private air ambulance flight, transport of all the equipment necessary to keep a patient stable, and arrangement of medical services in a foreign nation where domestic health insurance is not accepted,

Appalled that those costs make it unlikely for people, except those who are exceptionally wealthy, to actually exercise their rights under that provision,

Seeing that proposals have been made to replace this resolution with new legislation that would guarantee to persons suffering such diseases substantive access to dignity and choice,

Hereby repeals GA 285 "Assisted Suicide Act".




Calladan wrote:Clause 2 permits travel out of a nation for the purpose of assisted suicide. If this resolution is repealed, would nations that forbid assisted suicide within their borders then be able to forbid their citizens to travel to other nations that still permit it?

Clause 3 prevents penalties being applied if someone refuses to take part in an assisted suicide. If the resolution is repealed, does that mean someone could be required to perform (or assist in) an assisted suicide against their will or be threatened with fines, jail or even execution (pending other WA laws, obviously).

Clause 5 ensures any laws surrounding the legalisation of assisted suicide in a member nation include requirements for safety and consent. If this resolution is repealed, can a nation make any laws it likes? Could assisted suicide potentially become a substitute for murder, only legal?

PARSONS: A replacement decriminalising assisted suicide would have to be passed. I have already made enquiries for an author to write and propose such a resolution.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 38 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1921
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Calladan wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:The "assisted part" exists because patients want validation that killing oneself is legitimate. It very often has very little to do with inability and significantly more to do with the false sense of moral uprightness that a physician's involvement confers.

(The same can be said for capital punishment by lethal injection.)


Fair enough. For what it's worth - my support for the repeal is possibly going to come down to the answer to questions in my previous post. The grounds in the repeal seem reasonable enough, but it's the fallout of the repeal my government is worried about - the effect that repealing the other clauses will have.

Neville: People had the same worries when GA #112 a.k.a Convention on Execution was repealed. A replacement would have to be drafted beforehand, in our view.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Calladan wrote:Clause 2 permits travel out of a nation for the purpose of assisted suicide. If this resolution is repealed, would nations that forbid assisted suicide within their borders then be able to forbid their citizens to travel to other nations that still permit it?

Clause 3 prevents penalties being applied if someone refuses to take part in an assisted suicide. If the resolution is repealed, does that mean someone could be required to perform (or assist in) an assisted suicide against their will or be threatened with fines, jail or even execution (pending other WA laws, obviously).

Clause 5 ensures any laws surrounding the legalisation of assisted suicide in a member nation include requirements for safety and consent. If this resolution is repealed, can a nation make any laws it likes? Could assisted suicide potentially become a substitute for murder, only legal?

PARSONS: A replacement decriminalising assisted suicide would have to be passed. I have already made enquiries for an author to write and propose such a resolution.

Fairburn: Draft one yourself if you're serious about pursuing this.

Actually, on second thoughts, don't do that. This repeal is so awful that I almost want euthanasia to be decriminalised just so I don't have to look at this thing for another second! Better dead than braindead, I always say!

Neville: Shouldn't you be supporting this, then?

Fairburn: I said almost, Neville.
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Aclion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6243
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Aclion » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:55 pm

You have our support. A meaningful right to life requires a right to death.

Christian Democrats wrote:The "assisted part" exists because patients want validation that killing oneself is legitimate. It very often has very little to do with inability and significantly more to do with the false sense of moral uprightness that a physician's involvement confers.

(The same can be said for capital punishment by lethal injection.)

Regardless of "validation" as if any is needed, the fact remains that those with the best case for the right to suicide are those who are physically unable to perform the act without assistance.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

User avatar
Kaboomlandia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7395
Founded: May 22, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:10 pm

"Conditional support. We'll vote for this if there's a replacement ready."

Terry Miller
WA Ambassador
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

User avatar
Knootoss
Senator
 
Posts: 4106
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Knootoss » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:30 pm

"I will support this repeal."

Image
Barrell Marais
Knootian ambassador to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #7

User avatar
Auralia
Senator
 
Posts: 4977
Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Further believing that a nation ought respect an individual's choices if those choices do not harm others,

We do not agree with this assertion. On the contrary, states often intervene to prevent individuals from harming themselves. Common examples include the use of a prescription system to control access to dangerous drugs, as well as the use of involuntary psychiatric commitment for persons at risk of self-harm.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Observing that 285 GA grants nations 'the authority to determine for itself the legal status of assisted suicide and euthanasia', and considering that the nations which prohibit such actions are effectively forcing such people to suffer and are therefore complicit in causing the suffering which those people are attempting to avoid, and

We do not accept the notion that an individual has a "right" to kill himself, or that experiencing suffering is a greater evil than disposing of one's life. Catholic moral teaching is very clear on this point -- from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

We strenuously oppose this repeal and will take whatever action is necessary to prevent its passage.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
Also known as Railana

"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10082
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Aclion wrote:You have our support. A meaningful right to life requires a right to death.

That's like saying a meaningful right to liberty requires a right to sell oneself into slavery.

Knootoss wrote:"I will support this repeal."

Ambassador, we were under the impression that your nation generally pursues a NatSov agenda in this Assembly.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:23 am

Auralia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Further believing that a nation ought respect an individual's choices if those choices do not harm others,

We do not agree with this assertion. On the contrary, states often intervene to prevent individuals from harming themselves. Common examples include the use of a prescription system to control access to dangerous drugs, as well as the use of involuntary psychiatric commitment for persons at risk of self-harm.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Observing that 285 GA grants nations 'the authority to determine for itself the legal status of assisted suicide and euthanasia', and considering that the nations which prohibit such actions are effectively forcing such people to suffer and are therefore complicit in causing the suffering which those people are attempting to avoid, and

We do not accept the notion that an individual has a "right" to kill himself, or that experiencing suffering is a greater evil than disposing of one's life. Catholic moral teaching is very clear on this point -- from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

We strenuously oppose this repeal and will take whatever action is necessary to prevent its passage.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly


Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something here, but I seem to be missing a key point of your argument.

The current situation is that the resolution at hand permits member nations to decide whether assisted suicide is legal within their borders or not. But it also requires nations to permit their citizens to travel abroad should they decide to seek to end their life in another nation, should the nation they are in forbid it, and another nation allow it.

If the repeal goes through, a member nation can still decide whether assisted suicide is legal or not within their borders, because The WA would have effectively not ruled on it.

So really the situation would not change all that much.

And given that you appear to find suicide such an abominable act, I can not grasp WHY you are defending a repeal resolution that supports it.

(I am really just asking for my own edification and clarification, because I am truly confused and bemused by this).
Last edited by Calladan on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9878
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:35 am

OOC: Calladan, the only reason why someone would repeal this act is to open up the road for legislation to mandate that assisted suicide be decriminalised in all member nations. To be clear, that is my intention.

Author: 1 SC and 38 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:47 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:OOC: Calladan, the only reason why someone would repeal this act is to open up the road for legislation to mandate that assisted suicide be decriminalised in all member nations. To be clear, that is my intention.


No - that much I understand. And indeed support. But if someone is so adamantly AGAINST suicide and AGAINST assisted suicide, I can not, for the life of me, understand WHY they would be so against a repeal that supports a resolution that supports it......

Oh - wait. Are they holding on to the current resolution so they can keep assisted suicide illegal in their nation, even though they are required to allow their citizens to travel to other countries, rather than risk a more powerful resolution passing that would forcibly require them to legalise it in their nation?

Yeah - okay. I get it now. It's not about the repeal - it's about what happens next.

Sorry for the confusion :)
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

User avatar
The United Royal Islands of Euramathania
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 126
Founded: Nov 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The United Royal Islands of Euramathania » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 am

Calladan wrote:
Auralia wrote:We strenuously oppose this repeal and will take whatever action is necessary to prevent its passage.

(I am really just asking for my own edification and clarification, because I am truly confused and bemused by this).


(OOC: Also confused by this logic as well, I can see how you support repeal but are opposed by the language of the resolution endorsing ideas in direct contradiction to Catholic principles.)

The Ambassador from the United Royal Islands of Euramathania, The Honorable J. Everett:
In review of GA#285, we find that all of our concerns regarding the morality of this issue are appropriately addressed. We are concerned that a repeal draft will not adequately respect the traditions and rights of member states in determining the cannon of laws around these issues. It is our firm belief that GA#285 strikes a fair balance in not imposing a uniform morality around a specific issue upon diverse member states. We too will require a replacement legislation written prior to supporting this repeal. For now we remain conditionally opposed to the repeal until such concerns over sovereignty, and moral traditions are resolved.

Conditionally Opposed
Last edited by The United Royal Islands of Euramathania on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the Office Ambassador of The United Royal Islands of Euramathania,
on behalf of the Eternal Monarch, the Theryiat, and the Most Serene Republic

"Many blessings of falling rain, and fair wind."
GA Ambassador: The Wise and Considered, A. Meridian, of the House of Solus Garden
Assistant Ambassador: The Distinguished, C.J. Wallows
Email: wa-office@uri-euramathania.com Yes, It's real.

User avatar
Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20840
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am

"Ambassador, is there a planned replacement?"
THERE IS NO WAR IN BA SING SE
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
Minister of World Assembly Affairs, Viceroy for The East Pacific

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9878
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 am

Wallenburg wrote:"Ambassador, is there a planned replacement?"

There is a planned replacement. I have started consultations on that topic with a number of people. I will not be considering submission of this proposal until such time that the replacement is posted to this forum.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 38 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Toxic villainous globalist kittehs
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley (EMW); OOC unless otherwise indicated
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20840
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:33 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:"Ambassador, is there a planned replacement?"

There is a planned replacement. I have started consultations on that topic with a number of people. I will not be considering submission of this proposal until such time that the replacement is posted to this forum.

"Very well. The Wallenburgian delegation will make a decision on this repeal after it has evaluated the replacement."
THERE IS NO WAR IN BA SING SE
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
Minister of World Assembly Affairs, Viceroy for The East Pacific

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1921
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:"Ambassador, is there a planned replacement?"

There is a planned replacement. I have started consultations on that topic with a number of people. I will not be considering submission of this proposal until such time that the replacement is posted to this forum.

Fairburn: I can assure you that there is no need for that. I support this fine repeal and to make life easier for you, I have taken it upon myself to draft a suitable replacement. I look forward to cooperating with you.
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7571
Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:00 pm

"Excidium Planetis remains firmly opposed to this repeal on the following grounds: First, that in matters of no international importance, national sovereignty ought to be respected, and imposing the legalization of assisted suicide is no respect to national sovereignty.

"Second, that Assisted Suicide Act does not infringe on the right to commit suicide, as it expressly allows travel to foreign nations to secure suicide. This repeal relies on a dishonest premise."
Ex-Ambassador (deceased): Evander Blackbourne
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 8, 7.5 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.


News: None. Good, right?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Belize and Honduras, Drewish, HumanSanity, Imperium Anglorum, Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricalia, Tinhampton

Advertisement

Remove ads