NATION

PASSWORD

How does gay marriage undermine straight marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:39 am

I understand why you'd say that, but I feel the opposite. I think divorce strengthens marriage as an institution, because it helps to ensure that the people who are married are people who are genuinely committed to their union and WANT to be married. Granted, it's not perfect, and lots of unhappily married folks still trudge away without getting divorced, but I think divorce helps rather than hinders.

The assumption that one can just divorce if anything goes wrong or if you're bored or whatever hardly strengthens marriage. People who do not believe in divorce are more likely to attempt to work out problems, rather than divorce for bullshite reasons like "differences in temperament".
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 am

Tokos wrote:
I understand why you'd say that, but I feel the opposite. I think divorce strengthens marriage as an institution, because it helps to ensure that the people who are married are people who are genuinely committed to their union and WANT to be married. Granted, it's not perfect, and lots of unhappily married folks still trudge away without getting divorced, but I think divorce helps rather than hinders.

The assumption that one can just divorce if anything goes wrong or if you're bored or whatever hardly strengthens marriage.

I think it does. I think the fact that you CAN leave whenever you want makes marriage better, because I don't believe marriage is a strong institution if you simply force more people to stick with it.

Or, put it another way, the only marriages I consider "strong" are the ones where both parties freely choose to be committed to one another. If the choice isn't free, then the commitment isn't strong (in my eyes), and the institution becomes meaningless.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Antiacedia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Antiacedia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:30 am

I don't really want to end the divorce discussion, but would you mind moving it to another thread?

Mentospleen wrote:Sweet! I almost never find other UU's.

I'm a UU. It's part of why I started this topic. I'm trying to get the real doctrinal argument. Unfortunately we have a lot of people who just want to hear themselves talk (type?), so instead of answering the question they just argue about the issue. I am especially aggravated by the people who quote the part where I ask that they not respond with a dismissal before issuing a dismissal.

I don't know if I've actually seen any on-topic responses in this thread yet.

Really, if we don't get this back to my original question soon I'm going to ask the mod to lock this so I can try to repost the topic.
When children are taught to read, some fight it. They argue it's stupid, and that they'll never need to use it. In the end, if they learn to read with faccility, they'll agree that it vastly improves their lives. They can't really judge the value of it until they've learned to do it. And the ones that still can't do it well continue to insist they don't need it. The same can be said, on all counts, for philosophy.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:27 am

"How does gay marriage undermine straight marriage?"

Gay married couples seek out buildings or areas where straight couples are being wed, and will tunnel underneath these areas in spots that would cause the earth above to become unsupported and the buidings to become structurally unsound. The gay couples would then tunnel out of the way and either wait until the earth above collapsed into the holes and destroyed the buildings in which the straight couples were getting married, or would plant charges to help the process along. Whether gay marriage is allowed or not, it would not prevent gays from being able to undermine straight marriages. Heterosexuals as well have the ability to undermine buildings in which homosexual marriages are taking place, so it is not a one-way battle. The only solutions would be to heavily monitor the vibrations in the earth around the areas where couples were being married and be able to tell whether an undermining was occurring, or to be careful to keep heavy machinery meant for tunneling out of the hands of young couples who make it their goal to ruin the weddings of those of different sexualities.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Karsol
Senator

Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:31 am

A mean old man wrote:"How does gay marriage undermine straight marriage?"

Gay married couples seek out buildings or areas where straight couples are being wed, and will tunnel underneath these areas in spots that would cause the earth above to become unsupported and the buidings to become structurally unsound. The gay couples would then tunnel out of the way and either wait until the earth above collapsed into the holes and destroyed the buildings in which the straight couples were getting married, or would plant charges to help the process along. Whether gay marriage is allowed or not, it would not prevent gays from being able to undermine straight marriages. Heterosexuals as well have the ability to undermine buildings in which homosexual marriages are taking place, so it is not a one-way battle. The only solutions would be to heavily monitor the vibrations in the earth around the areas where couples were being married and be able to tell whether an undermining was occurring, or to be careful to keep heavy machinery meant for tunneling out of the hands of young couples who make it their goal to ruin the weddings of those of different sexualities.

I feel like sitting on your knee and be rocked gently, listening to your senile rambling for hours, very entertaining.
:)
01010000 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Previous

Return to General