NATION

PASSWORD

Reflections of a Glittering Court (Interest/OOC Thread)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Mephras
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Reflections of a Glittering Court (Interest/OOC Thread)

Postby Mephras » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 am

Recently Mephras constructed a giant palace complex called The City of Celestial Harmony, to serve as the monarch’s seat. However in style it is much more akin to an East Asian Versailles or Forbidden City/Summer Palace, albeit on a somewhat grander scale. I have wanted to attempt an RP of court life in my nation for a long time, and several months ago applied to be in a thread by Zinaire (I think) that never got off the ground. Fear of a Court RP basically existing as a party banquet RP that will quickly die off had stopped me in the past, as the premise was something I hoped would have some longevity. Recently, I came up with the idea of a format with posts as diary entries, where the players recap the day’s events through the eyes of their characters. This would prevent the RP from stalling as people stopped posting, while allowing people to continually enter the RP, giving maximum flexibility. Of course, this would limit the direct interaction of characters, but diary entries could reflect the outcomes of dealings between characters. If people really want to do direct RP, it could probably be done, but would need to be agreed upon between the two posters beforehand.

As far as characters and activities, the possibilities are practically endless. Beyond the Empress and her immediate family, who will be RPed by me, all other court figures can be taken up other people. Mephran nobles, diplomats from your nation, artists, philosophers, hangers on, servants, guards, etc, pretty much anyone you can think of who might be part of a royal court can be there. Of course, use some sort of judgment, for example, beggars probably wouldn’t be there. You can play several characters at a time. Activities wise, there are typical noble entertainments such as banquets, polo, poetry, gambling, fencing, hunting, but feel free to do modern things rich people might do. Affairs, intrigue, gossip are also highly encouraged. Again, use some common sense, don’t kill or maim others, don’t openly attack people (well, you could probably openly insult or challenge someone to a duel, but overly aggressive behavior would likely get the character expelled from the City). Basically, try to use some judgment and if you aren’t sure you can ask here. I reserve the right to ignore unreasonable posts and posters.

Finally, a few notes on the Mephran court. As a nation based off of East Asian cultures, particularly China, the buildings are in a generally East Asian style, and are named generally as halls. For example, Hall of the Ebbing Moon, Hall of the Eastern Sea, Hall of the Jade Beaver, etc, feel free to make places up, and they can be funny. Outdoor spaces can be gardens, forests, or courtyards, but you can also leave specific places vague. If you decide to play a Mephran, naming conventions follow a similar rule of adjective+noun, for example, Spring Blossom, Mossy Stone, Billowing Snow, again, humorous is fine. (If you've read English translations of Chinese texts, you might have encountered names like this.) As far as noble rankings go, Prince/Princess> Duke/Duchess> Count/Countess> Baron/Baroness, although as a general rule, Lord and Lady are fine. Mephran nobles will generally wear silk robes and similar things, but this doesn’t need to be a rule. In general, there isn’t a rigid court protocol, so feel free to do things as you wish. If you have any other questions on society or anything feel free to ask.

So, before launching this, I wanted to gauge interest, and see if anyone had questions, foresaw any problems, or had any suggestions. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Mephras on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Mephras
Factbook (WlP)
Nova
News Thread

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Records of a Glittering Court (Interest/OOC Thread)

Postby Tanaara » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:46 pm

I'd love to post occassional diary entries as the Ambassador from my nation - I find it a quite engaging idea. Would you like me to supply a bio here?
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Alfegos
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Records of a Glittering Court (Interest/OOC Thread)

Postby Alfegos » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Count me in. I think the diary format would be an interesting way to go about it, though it does leave scope for other people's characters being involved in actions that the other person may not want, in terms of meetings and such, so OOC co-operation would be tantamount.
In terms of characters, I think we'll have the following:
*Ambassador Xo'cho Fei'ma, MDip, BA hons., SchDi 1st Class (The ambassador to Mephras for many years. A top-class diplomat, who is said to be one of the current president's closest advisors, with many years of experience. Resides in the Alfegan Embassy, along with her only child. She is single.)

*Dr Ea'ko Ea'soi, PhD, SchMed 1st Class (The acclaimed geneticist and doctor, who developed a cure for numerous Fegosian-trait genetic disorders, and is a pioneer in genetic research and modification. Moved to Mephras to study the effect of population migration in Nova on the human genome. Currently runs a private clinic in Mephras treating and advising on genetic disorders and native Fegosian infectious diseases. He is married, with two children, all of whom reside in Mephras.)

*Air Fleet Commander Eris Sea'li, BMil (Former commander of the 1st Airfleet of Alfegos. Now acts as military attaché and security head to the Alfegan embassy, as well supervising airship transport across and in Mephras. He is currently single.)

I'm sure they'd be alright, as a range of interesting people.

Mephras
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Re: Reflections of a Glittering Court (Interest/OOC Thread)

Postby Mephras » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Tanaara: A Bio isn't necessary, but it might be a good idea if you plan to use the character often. I'll probably post a quick bio of the Empress and her family soon.

Alfegos: Looks great, all of your characters will fit in perfectly.

A few general notes: I will try to set up an IC thread tomorrow, but being Father's Day in the US, it might be Monday. Also in regards to tech levels, Mephras is modern tech, but if your past/future/fantasy people want to come, that's perfectly fine. In fact, I'm sure the court would love demonstrations of magic and or future technology.
The Empire of Mephras
Factbook (WlP)
Nova
News Thread

Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm interested. I'm still learning how to RP, but I think a diary format might be a good way for me to practice...? I'll get back to you on my character ideas (I'll only have one).
Factbook/Getting Started/Roleplaying Tips/Thread Assistance Index/The Mary Sue Test
(Melisma: 17 | Ciaran: 3 | Astaire: 25)

Did you miss me?
08.29.05//01.17.10//85:16:25

Aligeretha
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligeretha » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:58 pm

I think this could be fun, I'm thinking I'll go the route of playing a dhampir diplomat from the Empire and then just take things from there.
The Eternal Empire of Aligeretha
Her Imperial Majesty Ephemera, Empress of All Vampires, Autocrat of the Empire, Supreme Commander of the Imperial Armed Forces, Holder of the Allegiance of the Werewolf Tribes, Friend to the Fae, Protector of the Variants, and Most Blessed of the Gods of the Blood Rites.
Eternal Empire of Aligeretha Factbook
Embassy Program of the Eternal Empire of Aligeretha

United human countries
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby United human countries » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Sure, I'm interested. Just a quick question, are all tech levels accepted? (I usually RP as PMT)
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.77

Mephras
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mephras » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 pm

United Human Countries, yes, all tech levels are welcome, but the people at the court will only be accustomed to MT. But as previously stated, PMT or FT would be seen as impressive spectacles.
Last edited by Mephras on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Mephras
Factbook (WlP)
Nova
News Thread

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I will actually be bringing in my Ambassadress from the Phoenix Empire of Tanara, a FT interstellar empire. I had forgotten that Tanaara does not have embassies outside the region since the Fall and thus would have no ambassador there... :palm: :blush:

However, her Most Serene Celestial Harmony, the Dowager Empress, Imperial Lady Michiko, Ambassadress Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Phoenix Empire's sister nation, the Interstellar Domination of Tanaara, has agreed to our humble request to represent the Domination, as well as the Empire, at the Imperial Court of Mephras. Though, as she is the personal representative of the Empress and the Archon, there will not be a formal embassy established. The Imperial Lady will wish to purchase her own residence, suitable to her stature and capable of hosting a variety of events.

The Imperial Lady Michiko's age is not spoken of and her appearance certainly gives no real indication of her age. Though it is known that she, the first Empress, held the Phoenix Throne for over forty years, and Empress Kaylinde after her for another forty. Just over four years ago the pair participated in the coronation of the current Empress, Dominique. The Imperial Lady Michikjo is twice widowed with a grown son, Richard Albert Cromwell IV, better known to all and sundry as simply Race. While they are close he is currently an Ambassador at Large for the current Empress, and they do not see one another frequently.

She will not be inconvienced by the current technological level of Mephras, she grew up on archelogical dig site where the available technology was considerabley less than even Mephran "modern". However her dwelling would have many Tanaran technologies discretely retrofitted within it.
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Mephras
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mephras » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Looks good Tanaara. The FT things won't be a problem.

The IC thread is finally up here http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4185, and feel free to post away. I just wanted to put down a few starting posts setting up the city. I was also thinking, if you don't want to write diaries, letters can work as well.

As always, feel free to offer suggestions.
The Empire of Mephras
Factbook (WlP)
Nova
News Thread

Pevisopolis
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Is it possible to RP as a disgruntled Worker/Peasant/Consumer/General Poor Person talking about the palace rather... crossly?
Jesus God almighty man, look at that lot over there! They've spotted us!

Mephras
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mephras » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Sure, sounds great! Just don't kill anyone or start a revolution. ;)
The Empire of Mephras
Factbook (WlP)
Nova
News Thread

Pevisopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm

It'll probably be a situation of someone who absolutely despises the Authority of Mephras, but isn't exactly getting up off his/her ass and starting a revolution.

Iansisle
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Iansisle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:20 pm

((I always enjoy a good diplomatic RP. The posts so far on the IC thread show a level of sophistication I was worrying might be missing from the new forums, and it would be an honor to participate.

As a fair warning, however, Iansisle is a country with deeply-ingrained, insulting and anachronistic notions of race and gender relations and is doubtlessly rather put off at having to treat an "inferior" culture as equals. Also, the current government is hostile to the entire nature of monarchies, constitutional or absolute, due to a violent and bitter revolution that has played out over the last decade. Nonetheless, the diplomat would probably be somewhat civil in person, if rather patronizing and overbearing and perhaps showing signs of latent missionary impulses. Private letters to his superiors at #3 Jameston Place or diary entries would probably be less civil in tone. I warn you of this so that any insult given may be mitigated; I am myself a very liberal and (I hope) fair-minded person, but part of the enjoyment of playing NS is taking on roles that might be abhorrent to myself. There are good things about my country, but its outdated notions of race and gender are not among them.

Again, I certainly wish to take part, but I will wait for official word before posting anything.))

Mephras
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mephras » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:00 am

Iansisle, that's no problem, I certainly understand the IC/OOC separation and your nation sounds quite interesting. We'd love to have you in the thread.
The Empire of Mephras
Factbook (WlP)
Nova
News Thread

Pevisopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:16 am

What is Mephras' general tech level? I'm under the impression of Ming/Tang era China, slightly modernized.

Mephras
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mephras » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Pevisopolis wrote:What is Mephras' general tech level? I'm under the impression of Ming/Tang era China, slightly modernized.

While the court could be considered somewhat archaic like the Ming era, the nation is Modern Tech. Society is fairly traditional, but we have access to and utilize modern things. Also, while based largely off China, it isn't completely Chinese, so feel free to be creative.
The Empire of Mephras
Factbook (WlP)
Nova
News Thread

Damirez
Attaché

Founded: Apr 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Damirez » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:44 pm

I presume there won't be any problems with some entries of my own? Perhaps some hushed visits or something?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates