NATION

PASSWORD

The Broken Scepter [1978 Conflict RP/OOC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

The Broken Scepter [1978 Conflict RP/OOC]

Postby USG Security Corporation » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:31 pm

The IC Thread is HERE.

The Client: The current government of Krasny-Volny. See the IC OP for more details.

The Opposition: Again, Krasny-Volny, but members of the military and political opposition that want to seize power.

Third Party: Neo Prutenia aka the Prut Meritocracy

The Mercenaries:
The Uli Schwyz Regiment
was one of the few Neu Engollian mercenary companies to survive from the renaissance era to the modern day. They earned a fierce reputation, first as knight smashing pikemen, then stalwart flank support, and always as superior marksmen. Whether with bow, rifle or anti-tank rocket, they were adept at hitting their mark throughout the ages. While there are other private military units registered in the Confederacy, the Uli Schwyz, or Ulis for short, are the most successful and world renowned. They have also made a name for themselves as one of the few private military forces to effectively use an air arm that employs both fixed wing and rotor aircraft in well integrated rapid strikes.

In the eighth decade of the twentieth century (1970's), they have come off several successful contracts in scattered environments and regions around the Multiverse, doing their best to shake the specter of the Pyrrhic victory of the Crescent Bay contract in 1950. The 10,000 strong traditional Uli-Schwyz Regiment is divided into three tactical regiments. While in its early stages, the makeup was mostly Neu Engollian, it has evolved to take in veteran soldiers from across the Multiverse who needed a home and has a healthy multi-national representation. It is led by General Erik Meier-Toft.


Additional conditions:
1. Typical realistic RP rules apply. No one liners unless dialogue response.

2. Quality RP expected. Participants must be able to keep a posting pace of once every 2 weeks. RL happens, but please give a heads up if you won't be able to post, or need to drop out.

3. Tech stops at 1979, whether it's RL or NS. If you happen to own a storefront that sells past tech from this pre-1979 era, feel free to post a link in this thread.

4. No OOC posting in the IC thread whatsoever. If you need to make commentary, do it here (keep it nice) or TG if you need to keep it discreet.

5. Post maps and ORBATS as necessary, but in spoilers if you post them in the IC thread. Other images aren't necessary, but if you must, one photo image per post please, no larger than 400 pxl sq.

7. This is a low level conflict. There will be military caps. No WMDs.

We are all set and sign ups are closed. Thanks for your interest.
Last edited by USG Security Corporation on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:30 pm

(Reserved for players' info - ORBATs, characters, etc.)

Going to give this one more bump/shot, then it goes on the back burner and I work on another MT contract, which I have had some more demand for. This will still be a lot of fun, though, and could really fit a big hole in someone's PT canon. Give it a thought, as I'm really flexible on what we could do, if it wasn't obvious from the OP.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Hey, I'd love to take this on. I like doing PT military RPs as this cuts down on the amount of futuristic tech wank and "buzzword" type language of similar vein.

Some questions:

1) So you need the interest of two additional players, or this will certainly tank?

2) Looking at the unit caps, we're looking at a relatively limited campaign. Will this involve mostly light and motorized infantry, or will significant amounts of naval, air-to-air and armor combat be part and parcel of the storyline? Do you have a preference in this regard?

3) You said you were pretty flexible, so do you have a minimum number of troops that must be brought to the table?
Last edited by Krasny-Volny on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Hey, thanks for your interest!

Krasny-Volny wrote:Hey, I'd love to take this on. I like doing PT military RPs as this cuts down on the amount of futuristic tech wank and "buzzword" type language of similar vein.


I very much agree.

Krasny-Volny wrote:Some questions:

1) So you need the interest of two additional players, or this will certainly tank?


So, no, I think just one more player besides yourself would work, but two more would be ideal. 'The third party' slot is not essential to the success of the story, but would definitely bring it to a different level. If we have a client and opposition besides myself, we could make it work.

If it was just me and you, with you playing my opposition and my client being a shadowy, mystery NPC, that's doable, but I think much less ideal for interaction and building the story.

Krasny-Volny wrote:2) Looking at the unit caps, we're looking at a relatively limited campaign. Will this involve mostly light and motorized infantry, or will significant amounts of naval, air-to-air and armor combat be part and parcel of the storyline? Do you have a preference in this regard?


Light and motorized infantry, yes. Armor? Limited, but that's up to the other players, as my PMC only maintains anti-armor capabilities. Any significant armor clashes would only involve me to where I'd be taking out enemy armor via aircraft and land AT teams on behalf of my client/allies.

Air combat? Yes, I think that's possible. Probably more rotor than fixed wing, CAS and transport, but negotiable. Again, I leave that up to the other players, but I can fully get on board with air combat on most levels, except for large scale dog fights with multiple squadrons.

I would think least likely would be naval engagements, that is unless it was an island scenario. Even then, my PMC doesn't maintain a navy, other than sub-contracted cargo ships converted to amphibious purposes. Any naval conflict would have to be between my client and opposition, or a third party.

Krasny-Volny wrote:3) You said you were pretty flexible, so do you have a minimum number of troops that must be brought to the table?


I was thinking more in terms of having to limit players from trying to commit tens of thousands in a short, unrealistic amount of time, so I hadn't really thought about minimums. I'm comfortable with all the way down to squad/small team level and even single person reconnaissance, as I've RP'd espionage missions before. Ideally, I'd think for keeping interest it would be around platoon level action.

That being said, it really depends on the story and how long the conflict has been going. Like how big is the host nation's active/standing military? How much opposition is there and are they internal or external? I think that will matter because depending on if it's internal and if the opposition is ethnic, religious or political will be a deciding factor in the manpower they can muster. Also, based on the size of an insurgency or low level invasion will dictate the number of troops the host government feels it needs to or can keep at arms.

If we're just RPing one mission or battle in a larger war, then I'm totally comfortable with that, too. Obviously then, not all troops on both/all sides would come into play.

I hope that makes sense. I'm open to follow up questions or counterpoints.
Last edited by USG Security Corporation on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:59 pm

USG Security Corporation wrote:Hey, thanks for your interest!

Krasny-Volny wrote:Hey, I'd love to take this on. I like doing PT military RPs as this cuts down on the amount of futuristic tech wank and "buzzword" type language of similar vein.


I very much agree.

Krasny-Volny wrote:Some questions:

1) So you need the interest of two additional players, or this will certainly tank?


So, no, I think just one more player besides yourself would work, but two more would be ideal. 'The third party' slot is not essential to the success of the story, but would definitely bring it to a different level. If we have a client and opposition besides myself, we could make it work.

If it was just me and you, with you playing my opposition and my client being a shadowy, mystery NPC, that's doable, but I think much less ideal for interaction and building the story.

Krasny-Volny wrote:2) Looking at the unit caps, we're looking at a relatively limited campaign. Will this involve mostly light and motorized infantry, or will significant amounts of naval, air-to-air and armor combat be part and parcel of the storyline? Do you have a preference in this regard?


Light and motorized infantry, yes. Armor? Limited, but that's up to the other players, as my PMC only maintains anti-armor capabilities. Any significant armor clashes would only involve me to where I'd be taking out enemy armor via aircraft and land AT teams on behalf of my client/allies.

Air combat? Yes, I think that's possible. Probably more rotor than fixed wing, CAS and transport, but negotiable. Again, I leave that up to the other players, but I can fully get on board with air combat on most levels, except for large scale dog fights with multiple squadrons.

I would think least likely would be naval engagements, that is unless it was an island scenario. Even then, my PMC doesn't maintain a navy, other than sub-contracted cargo ships converted to amphibious purposes. Any naval conflict would have to be between my client and opposition, or a third party.

Krasny-Volny wrote:3) You said you were pretty flexible, so do you have a minimum number of troops that must be brought to the table?


I was thinking more in terms of having to limit players from trying to commit tens of thousands in a short, unrealistic amount of time, so I hadn't really thought about minimums. I'm comfortable with all the way down to squad/small team level and even single person reconnaissance, as I've RP'd espionage missions before. Ideally, I'd think for keeping interest it would be around platoon level action.

That being said, it really depends on the story and how long the conflict has been going. Like how big is the host nation's active/standing military? How much opposition is there and are they internal or external? I think that will matter because depending on if it's internal and if the opposition is ethnic, religious or political will be a deciding factor in the manpower they can muster. Also, based on the size of an insurgency or low level invasion will dictate the number of troops the host government feels it needs to or can keep at arms.

If we're just RPing one mission or battle in a larger war, then I'm totally comfortable with that, too. Obviously then, not all troops on both/all sides would come into play.

I hope that makes sense. I'm open to follow up questions or counterpoints.


It does, thanks for that.

I'd like to see my nation as the host setting, since I do have a timeline gap between the 1960s and late 1980s and this will present a possibility to expound on that. Of course, I'm also flexible: as or when other players express interest we can continue to rethink that. The scale would be about right, too: I don't use NS stats, so the standing military would be under 20,000 and equipped to modest Third World standards. Population would be in the five million range and - if it's just the two of us - the objective might be a state takeover along the lines of a coup d'etat, as in seizing strategic installations and toppling the government suddenly as opposed to a long, drawn out invasion aimed at assisting in the actual conquest and occupation of a landmass. This would be perfect for writing with a very small cast of characters.

As or when we are joined by other players, I'm sure we could spin it otherwise, as a scaled down border war or something of that nature, i.e. a miniature Kashmir or Western Sahara scenario.

From your descriptions I think I have a much clearer idea of what this RP will entail now. Probably a lot of combat at the sub-battalion level involving infantry with the possible limited deployment of armor and artillery by one or both sides, potential for some aerial dogfights and bombardments, and in all likelihood, little maritime input.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:08 am

Krasny-Volny wrote:
It does, thanks for that.

I'd like to see my nation as the host setting, since I do have a timeline gap between the 1960s and late 1980s and this will present a possibility to expound on that. Of course, I'm also flexible: as or when other players express interest we can continue to rethink that. The scale would be about right, too: I don't use NS stats, so the standing military would be under 20,000 and equipped to modest Third World standards. Population would be in the five million range and - if it's just the two of us - the objective might be a state takeover along the lines of a coup d'etat, as in seizing strategic installations and toppling the government suddenly as opposed to a long, drawn out invasion aimed at assisting in the actual conquest and occupation of a landmass. This would be perfect for writing with a very small cast of characters.

As or when we are joined by other players, I'm sure we could spin it otherwise, as a scaled down border war or something of that nature, i.e. a miniature Kashmir or Western Sahara scenario.

From your descriptions I think I have a much clearer idea of what this RP will entail now. Probably a lot of combat at the sub-battalion level involving infantry with the possible limited deployment of armor and artillery by one or both sides, potential for some aerial dogfights and bombardments, and in all likelihood, little maritime input.


Yes, I think this could work. The issue with you being both the host/client nation and the opposition is that you would have to dedicate yourself to a lot more RP than if you were only portraying one side. As you've been here for a while, I assume that that won't be an issue for you. A coup is classic and can be very interesting and action intensive. I would assume that I'd be hired by the coup plotters as the current government probably wouldn't see it coming. Unless they are expecting some type of betrayal and are massively unpopular with the military and the people.

Another player could still come in as A) a supporter of the current government. Possibly they have a base in your territory and so would have troops at hand to try to come to the aid of the regime to stop the Uli-Schwyz and coup troops. B) They take advantage of the chaos to start a border war and take some territory, assuming that you won't be able to stop them with the internal troubles going on. C) They are supporting the coup to put a regime in power friendly to them and my PMC is actually on the side of the current government. Perhaps there in strength in order to train the military when the coup goes down.

Just some options to think about.

My organization does top out at 10,000, just a reminder, but if they were to seize key installations and the capital and have the element of surprise, it could work. I would prefer that they work with indigenous forces, turncoat or otherwise.

I have more info in my factbook and on my storefront. Tech-wise, I will be working on getting together what arms they use in this era. I think it's coming together, though. Did you have a specific year in mind?

EDIT: Also, can you link me the last couple IC RPs you were in, please? I have been looking at your past posts and all I can find are General and F&NI posts.
Last edited by USG Security Corporation on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
Neo Prutenia
Minister
 
Posts: 2065
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:11 am

If possible, I'd like to use this RP as a learning experience—specifically I'd like to be the 'potential third party'. I like the premise and the ideas you have put forth so far. A small scale conflict of reasonably low level intensity set in the 70s techwise (well, and timewise obviously) seems perfect. Now, I admit I have little experience in writing exactly such a type of scenario, hence why I'd like to pick up a trick or two from more experienced players in that field; I do have experience with writing character RPs, espionage scenarios, and a smattering of similar small scale narratives, here's an example. Most of my work is more on the side of 'factual' writing, like the Prutopaedia,, some news articles, and short stories and such.

Since you're both aiming for a mostly terrestrial and perhaps aerial scenario, I reckon a good third party could be a naval task force that is mostly peripheral from an OOC narrative perspective, but is ICly relevant, just not directly referenced as much. A Prut task force could be rerouted to the conflict area to assist in humanitarian efforts and to extract various individuals; this could be Prut citizens caught in the conflict area, important locals and associates, Ullis cut off from their forces, and so forth. This would give me a reasonable presence in the RP and an opportunity to send extraction teams and cooperate with the others OOCly, while not getting in the way of those who want to write the gritty gunfights and close-quarter shiv-fests. ICly I could also serve as a neutral party for negotiation, rescue, handling various non-combat aspects like logistics and support, perhaps provide the Ullis with a base and supply depot, and/or assisting other players in various ways. If nothing else, at least I can handle the refugees that are going to flee from the direct conflict areas.

Summa summarum, my aims in this RP would be 1) learning, 2) making contacts with other players, 3) playing mostly a support role, with a few instances of direct involvement. This would also work best for me due to my work schedule, as it can often happen that I can't commit for a week or two of intensive roleplay, but I can maintain a presence without problems and I can write at least a post a week, well within the one per two weeks prerequisite in the OP.

Sound good?
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:02 am

USG Security Corporation wrote:My organization does top out at 10,000, just a reminder, but if they were to seize key installations and the capital and have the element of surprise, it could work.


Regarding the numbers:

What happens in most military coups is that the military (and security forces, if they are any) are divided and in a state of disarray, especially if you take out their chain of command first. They'll be uncertain which side to support and a certain percentage will always remain neutral and cease taking sides while they wait it out to see who's going to emerge victorious. Not a trend common to Western armies, but among poorly motivated conscripts drawn from undeveloped regions like Krasny-Volny with no particular loyalty to whatever government's in power, that's par for course. Then there's units posted too far away, in other parts of the country, who won't get the message to reinforce the capital in time due to poor communications infrastructure and the confused tactical situation. We'll probably looking at figures of under 10,000 combatants fighting each other at no higher than the battalion level. The mercs won't be facing an effective fighting force any larger than their own.

Twenty guys with rifles used to be able to take over small African countries as late as the 1970s, as Bob Denard so eloquently demonstrated. It all came down to meticulous planning, the element of surprise, and incompetence/poor discipline on the part of the defenders. The Uli Schwyz Regiment's ground and air wing will have considerably more troops and equipment at their disposal than that.

Did you have a specific year in mind?


Yes, I did, actually. 1978 ought to do it. Of course, all the equipment in service with the Krasny-Volnan forces will be pre-1975 stuff, most of it even older.

EDIT: Also, can you link me the last couple IC RPs you were in, please? I have been looking at your past posts and all I can find are General and F&NI posts


Sending you a TG.

Neo Prutenia wrote:Since you're both aiming for a mostly terrestrial and perhaps aerial scenario, I reckon a good third party could be a naval task force that is mostly peripheral from an OOC narrative perspective, but is ICly relevant, just not directly referenced as much. A Prut task force could be rerouted to the conflict area to assist in humanitarian efforts and to extract various individuals; this could be Prut citizens caught in the conflict area, important locals and associates, Ullis cut off from their forces, and so forth. This would give me a reasonable presence in the RP and an opportunity to send extraction teams and cooperate with the others OOCly, while not getting in the way of those who want to write the gritty gunfights and close-quarter shiv-fests. ICly I could also serve as a neutral party for negotiation, rescue, handling various non-combat aspects like logistics and support, perhaps provide the Ullis with a base and supply depot, and/or assisting other players in various ways. If nothing else, at least I can handle the refugees that are going to flee from the direct conflict areas.


Hi! Have you considered being the client in this scenario? That won't require a lot of fast-paced, multiple post firefights or RPing engagements, just give us an IC reason to jump start the RP. If your government has a bone to pick with mine, that would be incentive to hire the mercenaries to oust the incumbent regime in Krasny-Volny.

Alternatively, you could be on the side of an independent group of coup plotters, in which case Uli-Schwyz will be aligned with the incumbent.

@Everybody: Here's a map of the Koroscova Province of Krasny-Volny, where the capital and installations are located. I don't use the stats from my old forum factbook any more, but the map is still good:

Image
Last edited by Krasny-Volny on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:07 am

Yep, I'm familiar with 3rd world coups. Wasn't sure if we were going off that standard. I'm also a pretty big reader on Merc history, so I'm familiar with Denard's exploits, as well as those of Mad Mike Hoare, and others like them, and modern contemporaries like Nik du Toit.

I'll commit as many troops as you think are needed. I really didn't want to do a full 10,000 anyway, and it definitely would be overkill in this scenario. We rarely deploy the whole traditional Regiment unless it's full on war. I'm thinking at most a tactical Regiment of 3 to 4,000, with air support. I think the two of you need to talk and hash out your parts, and I can fill in on the pertinent side. I wouldn't think that my troops would all be fighting as one solid unit, but scattered around the AO by companies and platoons. Probably helping to seize TV/Radio stations, Command centers, bases and government facilities.

Prut:
I think you'd do fine with even more involvement, but that's up to you. Based on the map of the Krasny capital area, I don't know how much a naval task force would come into play as far as how close the action would be to open water. That's up to him, as the host nation where most of the action would be taking place, in regards to how close your TF could get to the coast or into the Krasny bay.

I think there's the possibility there for something, though. Like the extraction teams you mentioned to get your citizens out, maybe some VIPs, like corporate or embassy personnel. Again, it's up to Krasny as to whether ICly he would oppose outside intervention, welcome it, or his troops would be too distracted with infighting to do much about it. Perhaps there would be some diplomatic interaction between your embassy and Krasny's government, outgoing or incoming, to negotiate the rescue of your people with promises to not directly interfere. That may be a moot point as this coup would probably happen very fast, with little warning in order to catch the government off guard. So, were you to have a task force off their coast, it would probably be incidental that you happened to be nearby with such a force and not intentional.

Anyway,
If you can commit, I'd love to have you aboard. If you're willing to take suggestions, since you're not sure on this style of RP, that would help a lot. I don't know that my troops would need any direct help, unless it looked like the client was turning on them and they might be stuck there ala Xenophon's 10k.

Both of you seem to spend a good deal of time on NSG and F&NI. As long as that doesn't interfere with being able to post in the timeframe I listed in the OP, I'm fine with it.

EDIT: I was writing this post while Krasny was doing his. Expect more edits.
Last edited by USG Security Corporation on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:24 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:
Hi! Have you considered being the client in this scenario? That won't require a lot of fast-paced, multiple post firefights or RPing engagements, just give us an IC reason to jump start the RP. If your government has a bone to pick with mine, that would be incentive to hire the mercenaries to oust the incumbent regime in Krasny-Volny.

Alternatively, you could be on the side of an independent group of coup plotters, in which case Uli-Schwyz will be aligned with the incumbent.

@Everybody: Here's a map of the Koroscova Province of Krasny-Volny, where the capital and installations are located. I don't use the stats from my old forum factbook any more, but the map is still good:



I'm good with either of these options. If the Uli were on the side of the incumbent government, we could explain their presence during the coup as fulfilling a routine training contract for the army. They would snap into action to help defend their current clients.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
Neo Prutenia
Minister
 
Posts: 2065
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:10 am

Krasny-Volny wrote:
Hi! Have you considered being the client in this scenario? That won't require a lot of fast-paced, multiple post firefights or RPing engagements, just give us an IC reason to jump start the RP. If your government has a bone to pick with mine, that would be incentive to hire the mercenaries to oust the incumbent regime in Krasny-Volny.

Alternatively, you could be on the side of an independent group of coup plotters, in which case Uli-Schwyz will be aligned with the incumbent.


I thought about it, and it seems a bit forced, doesn't it? Given the circumstances I mean. From an OOC perspective I'd be a bit uncomfortable with playing that role, mainly because of no previous interactions between us as players. Feels wrong and forced—you'd be basically asking me to mess up things for a stranger. I know it's NS, but it's also kinda weird. If we were from the same Region or had previously RPed, I'd be more comfortable, but if possible, I'd prefer to avoid that for now. Besides, I like your general scenario; two internal Krasny-Volny groups calling the shots. You'd be the OP, you'd way easier decide what should be done and how you want things to proceed and end; all simple, clear, and clean. And it would also make the narrative more organic and natural. I did show up randomly in the thread, seems fair that I show up randomly ICly as well.

Also, it leaves the potential open for another player to join.


USG Security Corporation wrote:I think you'd do fine with even more involvement, but that's up to you. Based on the map of the Krasny capital area, I don't know how much a naval task force would come into play as far as how close the action would be to open water. That's up to him, as the host nation where most of the action would be taking place, in regards to how close your TF could get to the coast or into the Krasny bay.

I think there's the possibility there for something, though. Like the extraction teams you mentioned to get your citizens out, maybe some VIPs, like corporate or embassy personnel. Again, it's up to Krasny as to whether ICly he would oppose outside intervention, welcome it, or his troops would be too distracted with infighting to do much about it. Perhaps there would be some diplomatic interaction between your embassy and Krasny's government, outgoing or incoming, to negotiate the rescue of your people with promises to not directly interfere. That may be a moot point as this coup would probably happen very fast, with little warning in order to catch the government off guard. So, were you to have a task force off their coast, it would probably be incidental that you happened to be nearby with such a force and not intentional.

Anyway,
If you can commit, I'd love to have you aboard. If you're willing to take suggestions, since you're not sure on this style of RP, that would help a lot. I don't know that my troops would need any direct help, unless it looked like the client was turning on them and they might be stuck there ala Xenophon's 10k.


To be frank, I love the Xenophon idea, sounds like a perfect ending. If we can end it like that, that be grand. :D Very classy.

I'll let you guys dictate things OOCly for the most part; Krasny or you needing assistance, extraction, refuelling, anything really, I'd be more than happy to oblige. In my mind, this kind of seems like a scenario in which, to use RL analogues, Colombia has some internal unrest and a random Danish task force happened to dock in Cartagena while everyone has a fight in Bogotá, and someone hired the Swiss Guard to set things straight. Delightfully random; just another typical NS-verse event.

Perhaps we should wait til the weekend, see if someone else joins or expresses interest, before we set the exact scenario and roles in stone. Sound good? We're not in a hurry, are we? And you did mention in the OP 'committing for next few months' to the RP, which seems like a very reasonable estimate.
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:42 pm

Neo Prutenia wrote:Colombia has some internal unrest and a random Danish task force happened to dock in Cartagena while everyone has a fight in Bogotá, and someone hired the Swiss Guard to set things straight. Delightfully random; just another typical NS-verse event.


On a continuity note, the map I used for RPing purposes last time depicts Chorstad, the Krasny-Volnan capital, as being at the end of the Krasny River. This river and its tributaries meander throughout my nation.

I've never done much maritime RPing before (whether in the way of naval warfare or otherwise), so I've never explicitly mentioned a coastline; however, I'm sure you can send small vessels down the river towards where the action - and any evacuations - will be taking place. Keep in mind that given the size and scale of the Krasny River any port should realistically be shallow and prone to silting. I don't see a task force involving especially large warships like aircraft carriers being able to dock there. Smaller destroyers and corvettes escorting tugs should be OK.

Perhaps we should wait til the weekend, see if someone else joins or expresses interest, before we set the exact scenario and roles in stone. Sound good? We're not in a hurry, are we? And you did mention in the OP 'committing for next few months' to the RP, which seems like a very reasonable estimate.


I'm fine with this, too. Myself and Engollon/USG could use the extra time to work on our backstory and ORBATs in any case.

Me as an OP? Huh. It's been almost four years since I did any kind of a serious RPing storyline. I only just swapped out my Generalite avatar for my IC flag again. Hope I'm not too rusty to OP a thread. :P
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:59 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:
Neo Prutenia wrote:Colombia has some internal unrest and a random Danish task force happened to dock in Cartagena while everyone has a fight in Bogotá, and someone hired the Swiss Guard to set things straight. Delightfully random; just another typical NS-verse event.


On a continuity note, the map I used for RPing purposes last time depicts Chorstad, the Krasny-Volnan capital, as being at the end of the Krasny River. This river and its tributaries meander throughout my nation.

I've never done much maritime RPing before (whether in the way of naval warfare or otherwise), so I've never explicitly mentioned a coastline; however, I'm sure you can send small vessels down the river towards where the action - and any evacuations - will be taking place. Keep in mind that given the size and scale of the Krasny River any port should realistically be shallow and prone to silting. I don't see a task force involving especially large warships like aircraft carriers being able to dock there. Smaller destroyers and corvettes escorting tugs should be OK.


Yeah, I'm thinking that with that in mind and your capital being some distance away from your coast, and his ships being vulnerable to either side during the coup as they try to maneuver part of a task force down the river, that it would make the most sense that he would stay near the coast and have to airlift forces in and people back out.
That way, Prut gets to RP his TF, but we stick to the realistic constraints of the AO.
Also, that probably means that he won't be a significant ICly part of the RP, other than some character interactions here and there.
Just to doublecheck, your nation would have no direct firm allegiance to either side of a Krasny coup/civil war, correct? Strictly neutral and looking out for the interests of your own citizens and property. In that case, perhaps you should figure out who of your people is stuck behind the lines during the coup and why they're there, to cement a backstory and why you would risk an international incident to get them out of harm's way.

Perhaps we should wait til the weekend, see if someone else joins or expresses interest, before we set the exact scenario and roles in stone. Sound good? We're not in a hurry, are we? And you did mention in the OP 'committing for next few months' to the RP, which seems like a very reasonable estimate.


Krasny-Volny wrote:I'm fine with this, too. Myself and Engollon/USG could use the extra time to work on our backstory and ORBATs in any case.

Me as an OP? Huh. It's been almost four years since I did any kind of a serious RPing storyline. I only just swapped out my Generalite avatar for my IC flag again. Hope I'm not too rusty to OP a thread. :P


You'll be fine. I can Co-OP, if not technically an official OP. You will be playing the part of both major sides, after all, so it would make sense for you to OP.
I'm good with waiting a few days to launch the IC thread. I doubt we'll get anyone else, but if we do, they should be more of an active participant with more allegiance to a side and a more clear role as either a backer of the Krasny government or instigator of the coup. I think having one more neutral player who just happens to have a significant force in the AO to be a bit beyond coincidence. One is enough in that category.

I am working on my ORBAT, using wiki and some other sites, both NS storefronts and RL historical, to see what tech was out there in that time range and what gear I want to outfit my troops with.

Also, one last thing to be clear on, would the Uli-Schwyz be contracted with the incumbent government or the coup plotters?
After your initial post or two setting up the politics and the backstory, we'll have to have my contracting agent meet with the client (you) in order to get that ball rolling. Unless you want to skip that part.
Last edited by USG Security Corporation on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
Neo Prutenia
Minister
 
Posts: 2065
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:On a continuity note, the map I used for RPing purposes last time depicts Chorstad, the Krasny-Volnan capital, as being at the end of the Krasny River. This river and its tributaries meander throughout my nation.

I've never done much maritime RPing before (whether in the way of naval warfare or otherwise), so I've never explicitly mentioned a coastline; however, I'm sure you can send small vessels down the river towards where the action - and any evacuations - will be taking place. Keep in mind that given the size and scale of the Krasny River any port should realistically be shallow and prone to silting. I don't see a task force involving especially large warships like aircraft carriers being able to dock there. Smaller destroyers and corvettes escorting tugs should be OK.


This sounds perfect to me. So, going with the Bogota-Cartagena analogue, can we assume there's a naval task force docked in a "Cartagena", playing support in the background, while my main involvement in the fighting involves smaller vessels and groups along the Krasny river—by the way, does your "Krasny" mean "red" or "beautiful"? Just curious. It would even work wonderfully if we chose to end it with the Xenophon option, as the Ulis and Greycoats, that'd be my people, could cooperate in the retreat. I'm starting to get a good picture now. This has lots of potential.

USG Security Corporation wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking that with that in mind and your capital being some distance away from your coast, and his ships being vulnerable to either side during the coup as they try to maneuver part of a task force down the river, that it would make the most sense that he would stay near the coast and have to airlift forces in and people back out.
That way, Prut gets to RP his TF, but we stick to the realistic constraints of the AO.
Also, that probably means that he won't be a significant ICly part of the RP, other than some character interactions here and there.
Just to doublecheck, your nation would have no direct firm allegiance to either side of a Krasny coup/civil war, correct? Strictly neutral and looking out for the interests of your own citizens and property. In that case, perhaps you should figure out who of your people is stuck behind the lines during the coup and why they're there, to cement a backstory and why you would risk an international incident to get them out of harm's way.


I agree with this scenario. I'll think about a realistic premise, and I'll TG things out with Krasny. I'm sure there's a plethora of various things that can be set up. As for the actual allegiance—if the incumbents are essentially ousted, there'd be no reliable legitimate government to work with. Not knowing with whom to cooperate to achieve strategic goals (evacuation of various people, for example), I'd just do it ad hoc and let the diplomats deal with the fallout later. Well, obviously I'll figure it out OOCly with Krasny, but ICly it will be a mostly ad hoc approach. Not exactly neutral, I'd be a belligerent, just as a reasonable third party. From an OOC perspective, rerouting a task force to help with essentially a humanitarian crisis and the evacuation of Prut or locals, probably both, is just a justification to get me involved. ICly, either side could negotiate with me and vice versa. Even better if one side is obviously winning—that's the one I'd be obliged to back. If the incumbents win, we'd normalise relations and help with the restoration, and if the coups wins we'd help them get recognition and legitimacy. So my allegiance would be "third belligerent" rather than strictly neutral. Does that make sense?

USG Security Corporation wrote:I'm good with waiting a few days to launch the IC thread. I doubt we'll get anyone else, but if we do, they should be more of an active participant with more allegiance to a side and a more clear role as either a backer of the Krasny government or instigator of the coup. I think having one more neutral player who just happens to have a significant force in the AO to be a bit beyond coincidence. One is enough in that category.


No complaints from me here. We've covered "mercenary", "client", "opponent", and "third party"; if we get another player, they should be "client" or "opponent".
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:14 pm

USG Security Corporation wrote:Also, one last thing to be clear on, would the Uli-Schwyz be contracted with the incumbent government or the coup plotters?


I think it would make for a more solid RP if they were contracted by the incumbent government.

After your initial post or two setting up the politics and the backstory, we'll have to have my contracting agent meet with the client (you) in order to get that ball rolling. Unless you want to skip that part.


No, that's how this business works after all. It would be an excellent opportunity to introduce Uli-Schwyz and elaborate on the scope of their mission in Krasny-Volny. A contracting agent, or multiple contracting agents, are also the regiment's advance party. They can get a feel for the situation on the ground and the players involved and factor that into what kind of contract is negotiated. Plus, the Krasny-Volnan government and security chiefs will want to get an idea of the company's services and what technical options are available to them.

The devil's in the details.

I'm thinking right now we're looking at an open-ended contract for the training and organization of several newly formed units the incumbent government is trying to raise as counterweights to other, more disloyal elements in the armed forces. The latter will be the ones who carry out the coup.

Something else to keep in mind: the military hardware inside the country is all combloc and Warsaw Pact stuff, including ammunition, so beyond whatever they deploy themselves that's what the mercs will be working with.

Neo Prutenia wrote:This sounds perfect to me. So, going with the Bogota-Cartagena analogue, can we assume there's a naval task force docked in a "Cartagena", playing support in the background, while my main involvement in the fighting involves smaller vessels and groups along the Krasny river—by the way, does your "Krasny" mean "red" or "beautiful"? Just curious. It would even work wonderfully if we chose to end it with the Xenophon option, as the Ulis and Greycoats, that'd be my people, could cooperate in the retreat. I'm starting to get a good picture now. This has lots of potential.


Yes, I'm certain if things went absolutely down the rabbit hole and the Uli-Schwyz troops needed assistance with an extraction, what vessels you have on hand could be of some help in that regard. If you play your cards absolutely right with both sides, the vessels might not even be fired upon.

"Krasny" in this context is "red". ICly the country depends on the "Krasny River", which is more true to the Slavic setting and sounds better than the "Red River".

I agree with this scenario. I'll think about a realistic premise, and I'll TG things out with Krasny. I'm sure there's a plethora of various things that can be set up. As for the actual allegiance—if the incumbents are essentially ousted, there'd be no reliable legitimate government to work with. Not knowing with whom to cooperate to achieve strategic goals (evacuation of various people, for example), I'd just do it ad hoc and let the diplomats deal with the fallout later. Well, obviously I'll figure it out OOCly with Krasny, but ICly it will be a mostly ad hoc approach. Not exactly neutral, I'd be a belligerent, just as a reasonable third party. From an OOC perspective, rerouting a task force to help with essentially a humanitarian crisis and the evacuation of Prut or locals, probably both, is just a justification to get me involved. ICly, either side could negotiate with me and vice versa. Even better if one side is obviously winning—that's the one I'd be obliged to back. If the incumbents win, we'd normalise relations and help with the restoration, and if the coups wins we'd help them get recognition and legitimacy. So my allegiance would be "third belligerent" rather than strictly neutral. Does that make sense?


Yes, I'm good with this. We'll take it as we go and new developments arise.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:09 am

Just a note, as much as the Xenophon option would be an interesting storyline, I'd rather not script things out to that degree. If it happens organically in the course of events, and there's great RP that makes for a convincing plot twist, then I'm fine with it.

If someone can RP it out really well that my whole regiment gets nearly wiped out, I don't have a problem with that. I'll totally roll with it. It's just setting it up beforehand and trying to push the RP in that direction without any clear motivation for all sides to gang up on the mercenaries doesn't make sense. Neither does me RPing that they go into a panicked retreat with no real dire threat present. If my client turns on me because of a solid motivating factor, well that's on them and again, I'll accept it. In this case, I do have at least a decent 50/50 chance that I will be on the losing side of the coup and will have to fight through hostile territory to extract the Uli-Schwyz, so that is a possibility anyway.

Trust me, there's enough Pyrrhic victories, forced retreats and defeats in the history of the Uli Schwyz to show I have no problem RPing that side of the coin. Check my factbook. It would be nice to get one solidly in the win column once in a while, though, even if it doesn't make for as exciting RP.
Last edited by USG Security Corporation on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:55 am

ORBAT and general information concerning the Armed Forces of Krasny-Volny (AFKV). This can go in the second post.

Image Most units in a very low state of readiness and organization due to an ongoing reshuffle of existing battalions (and the creation of new ones). The overall quality of the current force, its composition, and the state of its equipment will be covered in the OP of the thread, which I'll get up tomorrow barring any additional interest expressed here.

If the print above is too small to read, use the direct link here.
Last edited by Krasny-Volny on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
Bhikkustan
Minister
 
Posts: 2503
Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bhikkustan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:28 am

I might be interested if you still need someone
I just wish the Mongol Empire didn't fall

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:25 pm

Bhikkustan wrote:I might be interested if you still need someone


We might be full up, but were we to have you join, how would you specifically fit in? Do you have some concrete ideas on how you'd be involved? Do you have some good RP samples? If we were to let you in, the only possible slot left is coup backers as for military involvement. That's up to Krasny. Otherwise, it would be a non military role - reporters, NGO aid workers, diplomatic.

There's been some delay on the RP due to RL stuff that Krasny is dealing with, but we're all still on board. Prut's been in touch with me, as well. Here's my ORBAT so far. WIP. Likely only the 3rd Tactical Reg. will be deployed, along with 2 mixed squadrons.
Last edited by USG Security Corporation on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

User avatar
Bhikkustan
Minister
 
Posts: 2503
Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bhikkustan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:45 am

USG Security Corporation wrote:
Bhikkustan wrote:I might be interested if you still need someone


We might be full up, but were we to have you join, how would you specifically fit in? Do you have some concrete ideas on how you'd be involved? Do you have some good RP samples? If we were to let you in, the only possible slot left is coup backers as for military involvement. That's up to Krasny. Otherwise, it would be a non military role - reporters, NGO aid workers, diplomatic.

There's been some delay on the RP due to RL stuff that Krasny is dealing with, but we're all still on board. Prut's been in touch with me, as well. Here's my ORBAT so far. WIP.

I can provide good RP samples. Coup backer would work as we are a communist nation.
I just wish the Mongol Empire didn't fall

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:04 pm

Bhikkustan wrote:
USG Security Corporation wrote:
We might be full up, but were we to have you join, how would you specifically fit in? Do you have some concrete ideas on how you'd be involved? Do you have some good RP samples? If we were to let you in, the only possible slot left is coup backers as for military involvement. That's up to Krasny. Otherwise, it would be a non military role - reporters, NGO aid workers, diplomatic.

There's been some delay on the RP due to RL stuff that Krasny is dealing with, but we're all still on board. Prut's been in touch with me, as well. Here's my ORBAT so far. WIP.

I can provide good RP samples. Coup backer would work as we are a communist nation.


Responded to all pressing TGs.

IC is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=391820

@Bhikkustan: currently we've pretty much worked out how the storyline will go, and I'm confident we don't need another major role (like benefactor of the coup backers or incumbent government) filled. Thanks anyway for your interest.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
Neo Prutenia
Minister
 
Posts: 2065
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:32 am

To use the OOC thread. These were supposed to be three small replies. Got caught up in work. I apologise for the delay, it happens sometimes. It's really neither malice, nor laziness, nor tardiness, I just often have a silly schedule and workload. And I really do forget to notice how much time has passed. :oops: If it happens, count on me making a bigger reply to compensate, otherwise it helps to TG me and remind me, but I'll try and avoid turning it into a habit.
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

User avatar
Krasny-Volny
Minister
 
Posts: 2846
Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krasny-Volny » Mon May 01, 2017 1:06 pm

My personal computer is in the shop, so this is just a quick notice to everybody that I'll probably be unable to post or respond to any inquiries for an indeterminate period, likely until the week after next.

I probably won't be off the radar for longer than that, though, and will return to business as usual as soon as I can.

Edit: Well, it looks like due to some unforeseen circumstances I will be unavailable for another two weeks. I will understand if the two of you - Engollon/USG and Neo Prutenia - think this is a completely inexcusable lapse on my part but there is simply no way around it on my end.

I hope you will accept my former posting regularity and commitment to this RP as sufficient proof that we'll be back to business as usual soon. I did come back after my last hiatus in October or November, and I fully intend to likewise return from this one.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

User avatar
Neo Prutenia
Minister
 
Posts: 2065
Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Neo Prutenia » Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm completely fine with it. We're all adult here, and we all now how busy RL can get. As far as I'm concerned, we've all delivered pretty good work, we're not exactly working on a schedule here, and everything's been working out just fine and well occasional gap in reply times not counting.

I'm perfectly willing to wait.
Factbook: The Prut Meritocracy | Prutopaedia (TG feedback appreciated) | National Policies | φ(._.) - Shoot me a TG if you want to RP with me

Always assume I'm the exact same tech level/reality as you are, with access to the exact same technology/abilities; I just happen to prefer very strict MT. IC name: Prut Meritocracy

User avatar
USG Security Corporation
Envoy
 
Posts: 254
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby USG Security Corporation » Mon May 01, 2017 7:26 pm

I echo what Prut said. I think we can wait a little longer and so far, you've always come back from the lulls with quality posts. Do what you need to do. We'll be here.
The most famous of Neu Engollon's Private Military Companies. TG me about possible contracts or apply directly to the storefront. New updated storefront in the works.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atlantian Dominions, Champagne Socialist Sharifistan, Reorganisieren Reichregierung, Xeraph

Advertisement

Remove ads