NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Bar fight. "Back-up kicker? Bwaahahaha!"

Was it a bar fight? They did find him down in the pavement on Boone Street at 4 AM... not good.

BTW, this kicker is a monster. He punts the ball like Koch and hits FGs like Justin Tucker but would only be one roster spot. He's a sizeable black dude from Norway and teams were calling about trading a pick for him

I don't know, I made that up. The news stories on the interwebs are less than informative save for what you just said. The 2000 block of Boone Street in Baltimore is a couple three block from the Washington Baltimore Newspaper Guild's headquarters. Maybe he was unhappy with the coverage he was getting, went over to complain and, well, you know, one thing leads to another. Those reporters can be ferocious when irritated. There aren't any bars in that immediate area.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:42 pm

I finally got around to looking over the Steelers roster cuts, and I only see two things worth commenting on.

1. Fitzgerald Toussaint got released. He's an RB that people seemed inexplicably high on, who seemed to specialize in single yard carries whenever he actually got the ball. Not really sorry to see him go, especially with Stevan Ridley on the roster.

2. Landry Jones is also gone. Gotta say I didn't see that one coming. He was still technically second on the depth chart, and most were expecting Josh Dobbs to get the pink slip. Jones showed flashes of promise, but was overall disappointing when his number was called. Most notably, I assume this makes rookie Mason Rudolph our QB2 now, with Dobbs playing 3rd string.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Idzequitch wrote:The Mack trade details are out.

The Raiders get: Chicago's 1st and 6th round picks in 2019 and Chicago's 1st and 3rd round picks in 2020.

The Bears get: Mack, Oakland's 2nd round pick in 2020, and a conditional 5th round pick in 2020.

Given the Bears' current status, I'm not sure this makes a ton of sense. Mortgage the future for a guy who's in the middle of his prime now. It may work out if they can sign Mack to a long-term extension, but we'll have to see. This improves an already solid defense, but offensively, they're going nowhere fast.

I see what they're doing, and I think they even got decent value for an exceptional talent. However, this strikes me as a "win now" move by a team that actually still can't win now. *shrug*

I'd die laughing if he didnt sign with Chicago and went back to the Raiders. Lol.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Ranoria wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

Khalil Mack to the Bears.

...So Plucky Chucky just removed the 2016 defensive player of the year from not only the AFC West, but the AFC entirely...excuse me.

'

Oh, this is like watching a slow motion car crash. And I love it.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:41 am

Idzequitch wrote:San Francisco has lost starting RB Jerick McKinnon to a torn ACL. Needless to say, he's done for the season. Sucks for the Niners, but should be a big-time opportunity for both young gun Matt Breida and older veteran Alfred Morris.

Damn... I was looking forward to having him back in US Bank for week 1.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:24 am

Idzequitch wrote:I finally got around to looking over the Steelers roster cuts, and I only see two things worth commenting on.

1. Fitzgerald Toussaint got released. He's an RB that people seemed inexplicably high on, who seemed to specialize in single yard carries whenever he actually got the ball. Not really sorry to see him go, especially with Stevan Ridley on the roster.

2. Landry Jones is also gone. Gotta say I didn't see that one coming. He was still technically second on the depth chart, and most were expecting Josh Dobbs to get the pink slip. Jones showed flashes of promise, but was overall disappointing when his number was called. Most notably, I assume this makes rookie Mason Rudolph our QB2 now, with Dobbs playing 3rd string.

Jones was experienced but was a permanent backup. The two who remain are the future, and they both looked promising this summer.

Besides, who doesn't like a QB who can play leapfrog during the game?
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:40 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
Was it a bar fight? They did find him down in the pavement on Boone Street at 4 AM... not good.

BTW, this kicker is a monster. He punts the ball like Koch and hits FGs like Justin Tucker but would only be one roster spot. He's a sizeable black dude from Norway and teams were calling about trading a pick for him

I don't know, I made that up. The news stories on the interwebs are less than informative save for what you just said. The 2000 block of Boone Street in Baltimore is a couple three block from the Washington Baltimore Newspaper Guild's headquarters. Maybe he was unhappy with the coverage he was getting, went over to complain and, well, you know, one thing leads to another. Those reporters can be ferocious when irritated. There aren't any bars in that immediate area.

I'm worried he might have been looking for something illicit on a street corner and things got violent for whatever reason. However, this is a hypothesis.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Farnhamia wrote:The first regular season game is on the 6th (Thursday night football is an abomination), any objections to shutting this down before it hits 500 pages, say on Wednesday?

LOVE Thursday Night Football. Reminds me of playing on Thursdays and Saturdays in hs.

But yeah shut it down before that
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Fun Fact: There are currently 7 teams with former Browns slated as the #2 QB. The Ravens also have RGIII who could potentially be #8, though that seems unlikely now.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Ranoria wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

Khalil Mack to the Bears.

...So Plucky Chucky just removed the 2016 defensive player of the year from not only the AFC West, but the AFC entirely...excuse me.

'

Oh, this is like watching a slow motion car crash. And I love it.

Yes, I'm glad he's out of the AFC west, BUT....the raiders have 4 first round picks over the next two years...3-4 years down the line they could be very good.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Speaking of first round picks: Bye-bye, Paxton. You won't be missed. They tried trading him, but no one wanted his bum ass.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Speaking of first round picks: Bye-bye, Paxton. You won't be missed. They tried trading him, but no one wanted his bum ass.

Saw that one coming a mile away.

Your future QB is already on the roster...SWAG KELLY!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 am

Not gonna lie, I was, again, thinking the Raiders were going to be good. But let's be honest, this is going to be one of those trades where the two picks turn into busts and everyone's laughing their asses off about it by the time the Bears re-sign Mack again.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:33 am

Ranoria wrote:Not gonna lie, I was, again, thinking the Raiders were going to be good. But let's be honest, this is going to be one of those trades where the two picks turn into busts and everyone's laughing their asses off about it by the time the Bears re-sign Mack again.

Which is a shame really. Derek Carr really is a decent QB. His talents are wasted in Oakland.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:52 am

Ameriganastan wrote:Speaking of first round picks: Bye-bye, Paxton. You won't be missed. They tried trading him, but no one wanted his bum ass.

FWIW, Hogan played a half way decent game against (30-20 Ravens win) us Thursday versus players that were mostly cut Saturday.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 am

Idzequitch wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Not gonna lie, I was, again, thinking the Raiders were going to be good. But let's be honest, this is going to be one of those trades where the two picks turn into busts and everyone's laughing their asses off about it by the time the Bears re-sign Mack again.

Which is a shame really. Derek Carr really is a decent QB. His talents are wasted in Oakland.

He was before he broke his leg. I haven't seen enough yet since the injury to say he's going to be 100%.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:18 am

The Buffalo Bills are starting QB Nathan Peterman in the season opener at Baltimore versus the Ravens. The other back up QB, McCarron, was traded to the Raiders for a fifth rounder. Josh Allen gets to sit on the bench and learn what it's like to face the Raven's D on their home field. A very smart move by the Bills head coach Sean McDermott.
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:The Buffalo Bills are starting QB Nathan Peterman in the season opener at Baltimore versus the Ravens. The other back up QB, McCarron, was traded to the Raiders for a fifth rounder. Josh Allen gets to sit on the bench and learn what it's like to face the Raven's D on their home field. A very smart move by the Bills head coach Sean McDermott.

saw that coming a mile away. Unlike the droves of people no doubt screaming "did they not learn from San Diego", I've actually seen the preseason games and Peterman was the most consistent of the three and McCarron was the worst. Peterman also seems to be the only QB we have who realizes why we got Kelvin Benjamin in the first place...

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Huh. Apparently Josh Dobbs, not Mason Rudolph, will be Ben Roethlisberger's backup to begin the 2018 season.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Idzequitch wrote:Huh. Apparently Josh Dobbs, not Mason Rudolph, will be Ben Roethlisberger's backup to begin the 2018 season.

Landry wasn't all that bad, was he?

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:The Buffalo Bills are starting QB Nathan Peterman in the season opener at Baltimore versus the Ravens. The other back up QB, McCarron, was traded to the Raiders for a fifth rounder. Josh Allen gets to sit on the bench and learn what it's like to face the Raven's D on their home field. A very smart move by the Bills head coach Sean McDermott.

saw that coming a mile away. Unlike the droves of people no doubt screaming "did they not learn from San Diego", I've actually seen the preseason games and Peterman was the most consistent of the three and McCarron was the worst. Peterman also seems to be the only QB we have who realizes why we got Kelvin Benjamin in the first place...

If you really put a lot of stock into preseason performances, the Ravens went 5-0 and played very well. Peterman seems like a sacrificial offering from my POV, but we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Also, McCarron brought the Bills back from a 27-3 late second half deficit in Chicago Wednesday night and won game 28-27 with 13 seconds on the clock. I was impressed with his poise and his throws. Him being an Alabama guy might have come into Baltimore wanting to prove something to Ozzie Newsome. Well, we'll never know now.
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Aaron Donald better be a force for how much they're paying him.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Huh. Apparently Josh Dobbs, not Mason Rudolph, will be Ben Roethlisberger's backup to begin the 2018 season.

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:saw that coming a mile away. Unlike the droves of people no doubt screaming "did they not learn from San Diego", I've actually seen the preseason games and Peterman was the most consistent of the three and McCarron was the worst. Peterman also seems to be the only QB we have who realizes why we got Kelvin Benjamin in the first place...

If you really put a lot of stock into preseason performances, the Ravens went 5-0 and played very well. Peterman seems like a sacrificial offering from my POV, but we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Also, McCarron brought the Bills back from a 27-3 late second half deficit in Chicago Wednesday night and won game 28-27 with 13 seconds on the clock. I was impressed with his poise and his throws. Him being an Alabama guy might have come into Baltimore wanting to prove something to Ozzie Newsome. Well, we'll never know now.

I see you only watched the second half of that game after the Bears put their fourth string in. The first half he was doing his best to get run off the feild like in the browns game. And yes, unless our O-line suddenly transfoms into a brick wall, Baltimore's going to win sunday.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Dobbs actually had an impressive preseason. In three games, he completed 29/43 passes for 4 TD's and 2 INT's. He also can make plays on his feet. I'm honestly not sad to see Landry go. Dobbs has more upside. I'm just surprised to see him jump over Rudolph on the depth chart, honestly.

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:saw that coming a mile away. Unlike the droves of people no doubt screaming "did they not learn from San Diego", I've actually seen the preseason games and Peterman was the most consistent of the three and McCarron was the worst. Peterman also seems to be the only QB we have who realizes why we got Kelvin Benjamin in the first place...

Basically yes. Peterman isn't taking that offense too much of anywhere. Buffalo will be lucky to stay within 2 TD's of Baltimore.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Josh Allen will be learning for a solid quarter. No way Peterman is able to avoid 3 picks in a half against that frikkin defense. I mean, seriously, and he had one pass in the playoffs that got picked off. Absolute garbage, worst QB room in the NFL. And Allen isn't much better, just a bigger arm. I don't see the Bills doing better than 4-12 this year. No true no 1 WR, nothing but trash at Q, and absolutely zero blue chip talent outside of the secondary.

That's awesome! I'm from Tennessee, so that makes me happy. Dude can ball. Haven't seen anything yet in the NFL but I never thought Rudolph was better than him in the first place tbh.
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Good enough to humiliate Cleveland once a year.
Lumi is my NS mom

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:22 am

Idzequitch wrote:

Mostly because everyone above him, Gruden included, are a bunch of squeaky hamsters trying to turn a wheel in all these different directions. But then that's an insult to hamsters. At least they kinda know how to spin a wheel.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General