NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Repeal "Commend The Skeleton Army"

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Garchyland
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 12, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

[SUBMITTED] Repeal "Commend The Skeleton Army"

Postby Garchyland » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 am

RECOGNIZING the intended lighthearted humor placed within this resolution;

DISAPPOINTED
that a resolution written this poorly and with no clear goal has passed;

DECLARING that this region now lacks activity and no longer appears to uphold what it was commended for;

CONDEMNING the goal of the resolution, which is simply to motivate other regions to follow their example and to commend an invader region;

HOPING to uphold the tradition of neutrality in World Assembly proceedings and fairness to all nations and regions;

HEREBY repeals "Commend The Skeleton Army" on the grounds that it is outdated, its humor irrelevant, and it diminishes the intended recognition from other deserving regions.

This has been submitted to the Security Council - I would appreciate comments on the proposal itself (as it is too late for spelling/grammar changes).

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:57 am

Garchyland wrote:RECOGNIZING the intended lighthearted humor placed within this resolution;

DISAPPOINTED that a resolution written this poorly and with no clear goal has passed;

The goal was to commend TSA for breaking the status quo in gameplay, and making being invaded an enjoyable experience for the natives.
DECLARING that this region now lacks activity and no longer appears to uphold what it was commended for;

Inactivity is not, has never been, nor will it ever be, grounds to repeal a Commendation. There are nations that have cte'd since their commendations passed, yet we honor them by not leaving their commendation in place. To take away this commendation is to shit on the grave of one of the few raider regions in history to have made a truly positive impact on NationStates, and frankly I'm appalled that someone could even consider repealing it.
CONDEMNING the goal of the resolution, which is simply to motivate other regions to follow their example and to commend an invader region;

HOPING to uphold the tradition of neutrality in World Assembly proceedings and fairness to all nations and regions;

LOL these two clauses completely contradict each other. If the WA maintains neutrality, the fact that TSA is a raider region should not factor into whether their actions overall are commendable or not, especially when they are.
HEREBY repeals "Commend The Skeleton Army" on the grounds that it is outdated,

False.
its humor is irrelevant,

Perhaps if the ambassador from Garchyland got the joke, they would be more inclined to live with a little humour in their legislation.
and it diminishes the intended recognition from other deserving regions.

Again, False. It's like you completely skipped over the actual reason the region was commended and decided to focus solely on the fact that they are raiders.
This has been submitted to the Security Council - I would appreciate comments on the proposal itself (as it is too late for spelling/grammar changes).

Maybe, if you posted here before submitting, we could have helped you realize that this is a terrible idea. You will not garner the support of the raider community, nor will you get the support of the defender community.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Garchyland
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Garchyland » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm

I'll take my chances - I disagree with nearly all of your comments (and you appear to have misinterpreted most of my intent - just one example: "DECLARING that this region now lacks activity and no longer appears to uphold what it was commended for" means they are NO LONGER upholding the commendation - not asking for it to be removed simply BECAUSE they are lacking activity.)

It appears you may be a little upset I didn't post here before submitting (as if I insulted a cultural norm or something) - "we could have helped you realize that this is a terrible idea" - so far I'm only hearing you, and to be respectful - I certainly don't think this repeal is as "terrible" as the original commendation.
Last edited by Garchyland on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Garchyland wrote:I'll take my chances - I disagree with nearly all of your comments (and you appear to have misinterpreted most of my intent - just one example: "DECLARING that this region now lacks activity and no longer appears to uphold what it was commended for" means they are NO LONGER upholding the commendation - not asking for it to be removed simply BECAUSE they are lacking activity.)

I interpreted it correctly, the thing is that I don't believe it is a reason to repeal the commendation. The commendation serves as a reminder of the good deeds that TSA committed in the past, whether or not they have continued to do so or not.
It appears you may be a little upset I didn't post here before submitting (as if I insulted a cultural norm or something) - "we could have helped you realize that this is a terrible idea" - so far I'm only hearing you, and to be respectful - I certainly don't think this repeal is as "terrible" as the original commendation.

I took a shower between posts, and I have no explanation for why I was so upset earlier. I apologize if I sounded a bit more outraged than was necessary, I'm operating on very little sleep right now and I just got home from work. The proposal itself is actually well written (by no means did I mean to imply that), I meant that the idea behind it, from my perspective, is misguided.
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Garchyland wrote:DECLARING that this region now lacks activity and no longer appears to uphold what it was commended for;

That's asinine reasoning. You wouldn't strip a WW2 veteran of their medal because they're no longer fighting wars. What matters is that The Skeleton Army's acts were worthy and significant enough to warrant recognition, not that they're unable to continue indefinitely with them.

Garchyland
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Garchyland » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Garchyland wrote:DECLARING that this region now lacks activity and no longer appears to uphold what it was commended for;

That's asinine reasoning. You wouldn't strip a WW2 veteran of their medal because they're no longer fighting wars. What matters is that The Skeleton Army's acts were worthy and significant enough to warrant recognition, not that they're unable to continue indefinitely with them.

Duly noted - that was a misguided sentence on my behalf. I concede that I should have posted here prior to proposal (as We Are Not the NSA suggested), but hindsight is 20/20.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Just as a note: You can request a moderator to remove your proposal to give you time to draft it here and then resubmit it.

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:43 pm

A few of my favorite memories on NS involve being invaded by and invading with The Skeleton Army. The Skeleton Army is prone to periods of inactivity followed by golden eras of alternate gameplaying and their unique take on the NationStates experience should be forever celebrated and remembered. I love this resolution and the region it recognizes.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Garchyland
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Garchyland » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:46 pm

This proposal is being withdrawn - I will consider reworking it, however I may have misinterpreted the purpose and measure of this resolution, and perhaps should allow it to die. Thank you all for the comments!

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Garchyland wrote:This proposal is being withdrawn - I will consider reworking it, however I may have misinterpreted the purpose and measure of this resolution, and perhaps should allow it to die. Thank you all for the comments!

I think you'll be fighting an uphill battle--if that hill was the size of Mt. Everest! The Skeleton Army is possibly the most universally loved (albeit niche) regions in this game.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council