NATION

PASSWORD

Rome: Iron and Rust (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

- April 16th -

Standing before six of his most trusted officers, Admiral Agrippa had an expression of uneasiness, though he maintained his composure. The events that would soon come into play would no doubt either propel him into history as a hero, or have his name slandered for all of eternity. That, and the very fate of Rome relied on the shoulders of he and his allies. It was quite a burden for a mere 21 year-old. Agrippa had never been one to complain nor make excuses, and he'd promised himself that he would meet every challenge, no matter the cost. Indeed, this was not a world where cowardice thrives for long - the strong triumph, and the weak die out. It was the very nature of life, and Agrippa intended to triumph. The Admiral rested his hands on the table where his lieutenants were sitting and let his head bob down for a moment before picking it back up to say a short phrase. His tone was strong, but concerned. "It is time, brothers."

"Then it is." said Vecci, one of his Naval commanders. "Are we ready, Admiral?"

"No." he answered rather bluntly. "Not yet, at least. I've received word that Marcus Lepidus has granted me full control of his fleet, and while a generous gift, ours still cannot match the size of Pompey's. Unless Cleopatra grants us her navy, our chances are slim."

"But not impossible, sir" added Vixus, a close friend and Marine. "You're the best admiral in the Republic - if anyone can do this, it's you."

Agrippa pursed his lips and nodded. "You words are kind, my friend, but not even the strongest of men can destroy an erupting volcano." He paused for a moment. "I do not mean to damped an already-depressing mood, but we cannot allow ourselves to be fooled by our own hopes. If we're to have any shot at this, we must look at things from a logical standpoint. Conventional tactics will not defeat Pompey, we must resort to alternative means..." The men in the room were quiet, but Agrippa's eyes lit up. He quickly began giving orders to Vixus. "Take your men and gather every civilian ship in the city and surrounding areas - everything you can." He then turned to the rest of his lieutenants. "The rest of you prepare. We sail shortly."

To Gaius Julius Caesar,

The time has come, my friend.

I cannot indulge into the specifics in details, for I trust no Courier to safely carry this information, but you must know that our friend and ally Marcus Antonius is under attack. Though, I regret to inform you that this situation is much more complicated than we would care to believe, and can instead be traced back to the heart of the Republic itself - to one of our own, who has betrayed us: Crassus. Gaius, I write to you know to make you aware of the events unfolding so that you may respond appropriately, and to assure you that through it all, you have my unwavering loyalty and support. I wish you luck, my friend, and I trust whatever actions you take in response to this betrayal will be the right ones.

Your friend and ally,

Admiral Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Last edited by Alinora on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:33 pm

April 20th, 43BC, Roma

Caesar's forces were now inside Roma. Curiously enough, Consul Publius had been too busy to even greet him yesterday. While Caesar wasn't exactly sure why, scuttlebutt was that Lucius Celer had hatched a conspiracy, a plot to open the gates for Pompey, and that that was the reason for Publius's tardiness. Caesar had his own idea of the situation. If Publius was any good, then chances were likely that Celer was innocent, and that Publius was simply removing his rivals. That's what Caesar would have done. That's what his sub-ordinates would have done.

His mind wondered off, now he was thinking about his friends in high places. His adopted son Octavianus was off in Hispania, where he hoped Octavianus would have success. Marc Antony was doing... well, whatever Mark Antony was doing and Agrippa... ah, Agrippa. He was a curious man to Caesar. He was the youngest of all the men under Caesar's command, and not surprisingly, the most hedonistic of them all, so the rumors went.

Caesar thought to himself "Once this business here is done, I should consider riding to Dalmatia, if Agrippa is still there. I should check and see if he's improved morally since my last visit." Quite frankly, he wouldn't have been surprised if Agrippa had not improved at all since last time. Last time, he remembered, a time when Rome wasn't fractured. It was a rather ugly incident.

More specifically, he had come to talk of various manners with Agrippa, and as he unlocked Agrippa's bedroom door, he had the misfortune of walking in while Agrippa was still in bed - with two women. Agrippa was not pleased, to say the least. That was a embarrassing moment. However, he needed to wrap up this business in Rome, fast. But before he could think of any ideas, a messenger rode in.

(OOC: The messenger is Antony's.)

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:08 pm

XXII, Aprilis, DCCXI A.U.C.

Aelius Purpureo
Rome,
Italia,
The Roman Republic

After arriving in Ravenna, the ride south on horseback was pleasant and aided by good weather. The eleven man detachment of Antony's 12th Legion were prepared for anything and were careful when riding along the coastal area to avoid the hills which would slow them.They camped out first in the outskirts of Firmum, there they received news that Caesar was in Rome. Aelius briefed his men thoroughly on their mission and prepared them to move in the morning. "Lord Antony insists a war is coming men, and no one can stop it, we can only hope to reduce the damages caused by the turmoil in the east so that in the long run it solves more problems than it leaves."

That morning the men tore down the camp and rode west through Reate where they confirmed the reports in Firmum. Caesar was in Rome, and that fact was a game changer that Aelius smiled upon hearing. The men were exhausted from riding when they just could see Rome on the horizon. They camped a mile and a half from the city. Again Aelius briefed his men, however with a slight variation. "Caesar makes our job here easier, with his help we could easily accomplish the goal we set out to do, and without the same dangers as taking this risk would've had otherwise. Men, rest tonight for tomorrow we meet a great friend of Antony's and the man who is in many ways responsible for the Conquest of Gaul." The men cheered at the thought of meeting Caesar. Many wanting to propel their careers saw this mission as a great opportunity, and this only sweetened the deal.

The men woke up to the sound of a passing trade caravan on the road near where they had camped out, they rushed to tear down camp enthusiastic and looking forward to the meeting ahead. Aelius rode at point with his men following in a single line column. They entered Rome and were directed to Julius Caesar who seemed to be in deep thought when he entered the room.

Aelius snapped to attention and saluted with the same discipline that made him the trusted handyman of Antony's Legion. He said, "Ave Caesar." His men stood outside the room, give men standing in a line on either side of the street facing one another and silent as could be. Aelius said "I am Aelius Purpureo, Decius in the 12th Legion, loyal to Antony and the Roman Republic. I have come here to report a conspiracy to you and forward you Antony's concerns. Are you available at this time sir?"
Last edited by Alouite on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:11 pm

Marcus Aemilius Lepidus
April 17, 43BC
Massalia, Gaul, the Roman Republic
10th Legion, 22nd Legion

Smoke from the camps filled the sky as the legions began a hasty deconstruction of living quarters. The soldiers were ready and eger all with full bellys and a clear mind. They knew what was at stake, If they failed the Rome would eventualy fall and they would have the honorable Ceasers head on a stick. The men hastily prepared to depart from the area. Meanwhile Lepidus began to quickly respond to letters. Scrolling hastily on his wax tablet he cleared his throat. The weather was considerably lower than he would have predicted this time a year and it was nice. A slight breeze would occasonaly come through his accomidations. Lepidus sat legs apart to make the most of the weathers comforting breeze.

Dear Friend,

I must keep this breif and hope you do not find it rude. I will be setting out shortly to assist Octavian in his conquest of Hispania, while I have several other matters to attend to. But down to business, you have my ships at your disposal, all 30 ships have already been orderd to meet you. The admiral in charge is Marcus Tiberius, he will follow your command to the death. PLease return as much of my fleet intact as you can. I wish you the best and may Jupiter help you crush Pompey in fair battle.

Glory to Rome.
Your friend,
Marcus Aemilius Lepidus

Dear Friend, Octavious

I am sending this letter ahead of my formation to you. My men are behid by not a days time, we will arive and meet to face down a enemy of Rome. I will see you there my friend.

Glory to Rome.
Your friend,
Marcus Aemilius Lepidus

Marcus stood holding the two wax tablets placing them in two seperate satchels to secure them. "Guard." He called, in a moments time two stocky young legonaries enterd his living quarter. Both snapping a salute. "Yes sir?"

"I need you to take this one to Octavious, he is not a days march from here. It is importantnt. This other one here, I need you to take it to Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa. This is most important." Handing the messages to each of his men they snapped another salute, "Yes sir." and quickly set off to deliver the messages.

Nearly an hour letter the camp had been entirely deconstructed. The 10th and 22nd legions both formed up and they began their march to meet Octavian.
My name is Ava/Ewa I am from Poland.
我会说一点, Mowie po polsku, I speak English.
I am Polish born, American citizen, I live in China.

Albertae
Senator

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Vladivostokava wrote:Marcus Aemilius Lepidus
April 17, 43BC
Massalia, Gaul, the Roman Republic
10th Legion, 22nd Legion

Dear Friend, Octavious

I am sending this letter ahead of my formation to you. My men are behid by not a days time, we will arive and meet to face down a enemy of Rome. I will see you there my friend.

Glory to Rome.
Your friend,
Marcus Aemilius Lepidus

17th of April, 43 BC

Halfway to Lusitania

A letter had arrived to Octavianus' twenty-one thousand man army. It was a significant sight to behold. The man obviously a watchman from one of Lepidus' legions held out a letter. Octavianus took the letter and read it. It was obvious what he would need to do and that was to wait for his friend. He closed the letter and said in a loud enough voice for his legate to hear,"Set up camp! We will be waiting for a few days. My fellow friend, General Aemelius Lepidus will be joining us in our conquering of Lusitania. Do not fret, there will be plenty of treasure and loot for you all. In fact, the general is only helping us to clear his way to Africanus I sense."

The legionnaires looked among each other strangely, but quickly got to setting up camp as they were ordered. For the next few days they'd have to train and ready themselves while they awaited the great legions of Lepidus. The mercenaries would be paid for until after the invasion of Lusitania and a battle with Sextus. Although, Octavianus hoped he would not have to send his men against the legions of Sextus Pompey. He was a strategic commander to Octavianus' knowledge and having an equal amount of soldiers only made the battle a little better for Octavianus. He'd have to send his men, who have families, against this men who would surely kill or wound a third of even half of Octavianus' men.
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.33
Pro: Trump
Anti: Hillary

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Gharin
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:04 am

The 19th of April, 43 B.C., Kingdom of Cappadocia.

The forces of Crete had arrived as quickly as they could; four thousand Cretan Archers, paid with Lady Agathe's silver, had come in their speed to assist the great King from Anatolia. Their might was vast as they seemed to come upon the rocky land. Few would have known, given their normal service, that they were not Roman military here to relieve a client.
Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47943
President-John Wallace

Vice President- Fiona Harold

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

- April 17th -

"Admiral, Lepidus' fleet has arrived."

Agrippa did not need the officer to inform him of this, for the sight of dozens of warships approaching Salona from the south was quite enough. It was reassuring to know that he was not alone in this fight, and to know that others trusted him enough to hand over the responsibility of their entire navy, and all of it's lives. He knew there would be deaths - that was inevitable in war - but he was determined to ensure that they did not die in vein. Admiral Agrippa descended down old stone stairs to the docks, which were bustling as thousands of troops and sailors prepared to set out. Lepidus' fleet had taken up position just south of the city, and from the flags they rose, they were to wait until Agrippa's fleet was ready. Though, a single warship approached the port - likely a general or commander of the fleet. A figure appeared at Agrippa's side: Vixus, who immediately began to speak. "The civilian ships are ready, sir. Awaiting your command."

"Have you prepped them in the manner I requested?" asked the Admiral.

"Yes, sir."

"Good. You'll be commanding the civilian flotilla. They're the spear of this operation, Vixus, so do not fail me."

Though there was hesitation, the soldier nodded. "Yes Admiral, I'll do my best and fight my hardest for Rome."

"Ave." Agrippa concluded. The young Admiral approached the ship from Lepidus' fleet as it docked at the end of the harbor, and was greeted by a tall, older man who Agrippa assumed was in command. He saluted the man. "Welcome to Salona. I'm Admiral Marcus Agrippa - commander of this fleet, and Lepidus's as well for the time being."

The man nodded. "I am Admiral Marcus Tiberius, and I'll be commanding Lepidus' fleet - under your orders, of course."

Marcus nodded and smiled. "Are your ships ready for battle?"

"Yes Admiral. It is not the largest fleet, but it's a tough one. We'll do more than our part against Pompey, I guarantee."

"Good" Agrippa said. "Come with me, I'll fill you in on our strategy inside." The two men began to walk towards the command center, while Agrippa started informing Tiberius of the plan. "With your ships we'll have just over a hundred, combined with our civilian fleet, around 140. Though before we move on Pompey, we'll be making a detour to Alexandria to pick up Cleopatra's fleet. With hers, we'll have more than 200 vessels - more than enough to crush Pompey like wet clay."

"Admiral Agrippa, if I may, I've heard that your strategies and tactics aren't exactly... customary - no disrespect intended." He paused. "Is there anything you would like me to be aware of while I'm under your command?"

"Like I said, Tiberius, I'll fill you in on everything inside."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse