NATION

PASSWORD

Rome: Iron and Rust (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am

10th April, 43 BC, Antioch, Syria Coele

Marcus Junius Brutus was an odd man, Crassus thought, with the best of luck. He had no real career, military or political and only rose to the the rank of Praetor in the senate. However he had risen to command the Optimate faction and gain lordship over the Balkan provinces, as well as Crete, Cyprus and Sicily. Importantly he also controlled one of the two great Roman fleets. By rights, Cicero, the proconsul who had brought down Catilina and was once hailed as "King of the Law Courts" should have been given command of this faction. But somehow, maybe due to Macedonia's considerable wealth, Brutus had risen to command. Crassus did not know much about Brutus, but what he did know was encouraging. One of the scions of the Old Republic, second only Cato in his fervent defense of the mos maiorum, his single ambition seemed to be the second Brutus to save the Republic. As Crassus thought on it, the more he realised how easy it would be to bring Brutus over to the cause.

Crassus began speaking again after a long drink of water in a calmer voice than before. "Antony must really be crushed, I agree. After all he is the originator of this conspiracy against me, and soon he will be, I promise you. But not just yet, Cappadocia will fall and Caesar will not stop us in that. Hopefully, that action will provoke Antony to defend his one ally in the region. If he offers Cappadocia any aid at all, Antony will be declared an enemy of the Republic and hopefully Caesar will know the evidence against Antony is so overwhelming he cannot aid him. In the mean time, I will write to my son and Clodius, the two consuls, asking for the power to dismiss Antony from his governorship of Asia. I will not use this power immediately, but only when Antony overtly moves against us. Caesar will also be informed of Antony's.....machinations.

As such, I agree to your proposal about Brutus. A bore though he is, the man controls the eastern fleet as well as a number of legions. He will be able to confine Antony and aid us in Italy, it will not take much to sway him. A promise to restore the free republic and aid in making himself consul would be enough I suspect. However I have been dealing with Marcus Agrippa, who has asked me to attack Brutus. These communication are a delaying tool on my part, but I would not want him to here news that I have been sending ambassadors to entreat with Brutus, so I would ask you to go as soon as possible to Brutus to entreat with him on the possibility of an alliance. I will send Tiberius Vitellius, who recently returned from Egypt, to aid you in this.

As for Cappadocia itself, I would ask Pontus to invade from the north by the 25th of this month. That is the date their King has been ordered to arrive in Antioch for. If he does, he will simply be arrested, if he does not, he will only be arrested at a later date. I would not seek to advice you king on military strategy, I am sure he has enough men for that. But it would be wise to post men at the Cappadocian-Bithynian border once the invasion begins to prevent the King's army from simply fleeing. My troops will do the same in the south, that was the fool will be boxed in, I ask that you convey this information to you king."

Crassus stopped then and drew a letter out a draw in his desk "I will send this letter to Brutus before you arrive."

Letters:

To Propraetor Marcus Junius Brutus

Health and Great Joy.

As you know, a civil war is currently raging through our dear Republic. On one side stand the forces of tyranny and despotism, headed by Gneaus Pompey Magnus who has attacked the sacred city of Rome herself and had been declared an enemy of the Republic by the serving consul, my son, Publius Crassus. On the other stand the armies of libertas and dignitas, whom I support. You and your allies, the Optimates, are the guardians of the old republic, founded by your revered ancestor.

Currently the Consular Armies are fighting off against the forces of Pompey in Italia, but they need support. The armies of Julius Caesar sit in Cisalpine Gaul, ready to make a power play once Pompey is defeated. I would seek to land in Italia to defend my son, and the republic, from the forces of Pompey and possibly Caesar if he starts war. However, before I can do this I need to ensure the east is secure, which is proving to be a difficult task.

A conspiracy of the likes not seen since Catilina has been uncovered. Lead by the governor of Asia, Mark Antony, and King Ariobarzanes of Cappadocia, some elements in the east seek to over through the Res Publica there and, I assume, bring the entire east to fight for Caesar. I have also been contacted by Admiral Agrippa to join him in a war against non other than yourself, whom he calls the "Brute in the East".

Before I sail for Italia to fight for the Republic, I must destroy this conspiracy and save the eastern sections of the Empire. Together with the loyal states of Armenia, Pontus and Galatia, my legions will soon take over Cappadocia and arrest King Ariobarzanes, dissolving his kingdom in the process. After this we must proceed to deal with Mark Antony. That is where I ask your help.

Pompey has already attacked the heart of our Republic, and the Caeasrians plot to destroy us both. Thus, I propose an alliance. I ask you first to join my forces in an invasion of Mark Antony's land (should the necessity arise) and to allow me to use your fleet to transport my legions to Italia to combat our enemies, as well a providing reinforcements if needed. In return, I swear on Jupiter Optimus Maximus to do all that I can to save the free Republic. Despite what my enemies say, I do not want to be king (how could I, I am seventy four this year) and my sole desire it to see my son survive and the Republic prosper. There was a time when your ancestor put aside personal differences with his former enemies to drive the tyrants from Roma, I ask you to join me in doing the same.

I would also like to see you elected Consul once the war is over, should you aid me you would be a saviour of the Republic and should you run for the Consulship, you would have my full backing.

Soon, two ambassadors, Tiberius Vitellius and Conon of Trapezus will arrive to discuss further terms with you. Should you agree that is.

Marcus Licinus Crassus Parthicus, Praefectus Orientalis, Proconsul of Mesopotamia

To Consul's Clodis Pulcher and Publius Crassus

Health and Great Joy.

Dearest allies.

There is a conspiracy moving against us. You are already aware of the fact Pompey desires to bring down the Republic, but I have uncovered a conspiracy in the East that seeks to destroy it. Lead by Mark Antony and the King of Cappadocia, lies have been spread against our ally the kingdom of Armenia. The members of this Antonius Conspiracy say that Armenia is marching to fight for Pompey and urge the client kings to attack it. However this is not true, I ordered Armenia to assemble its armies in order to sail to Italia and fight for your consulships. Mark Antony must know that Armenia is my ally, and that if he were to seek to attack Armenia, it would be an attack on myself as Prefect of the East. Thus I am moving to destroy this conspiracy, soon my legions and the forces of my allies will invade Cappadocia and remove its traitorous king. I will them sail as soon as possible for Italia to fight for the Republic, and your respective lives. In these letters I have enclosed all the evidence I have against this Conspiracy.

However first I must deal with Mark Antony. As such, I ask that you send me written orders removing Antony from his governorship and placing his legions under the authority of myself as Prefect of the East. I do not want you to send these letters to Antony and thus warn him, but rather to myself so I can publish them when the time is right. All this must remain secret until then.
I would also ask you send me any letters that the conspirators have sent you.

My overall desire is to save my son and the Republic, However to do this, I need your cooperation on this matter.

Marcus L Crassus, Senior.

Another letter was also sent to Nabatea, identical to the previous one sent on the 10th of April, denouncing the Antonius Conspiracy and seeking their alliance. Should they not respond, they will be seen as enemies.
Last edited by Elepis on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Elepis wrote:"Great Queen" he began "I am sure you are aware of this conspiracy boiling up across the east. It is a plague that needs to be extinguished and as such I have been sent by my patron, the noble Proconsul and father of Consul Publius, Marcus Licinius Crassus, to make sure of your loyalty to the Res Publica and peace in the east. Can my patron count on your support in the wars to come?" Once he finished his short speech, he crossed his hands in front of his muscled chest and looked not unkindly at the Queen in front of him.

28 Nisan, 3718

She sighed, "Tribune Fabius, you are a good man for doing what you do, for taking the risk and bearing the heat to come to me if simply to question my loyalty. I have told Crassus of the conspiracy, and indeed been his primary informant on the matter. I have withdrawn my forces after being deceived so harshly, promising Proconsul Crassus that my elite units should not, in the years which I live, be used to crush the better interest of the Republic. Your patron, this patrician, Crassus the Wealthy, Crassus the Mighty, Crassus the Lord of the East, has been the guiding light which I have followed in all my actions thus far. I took initiative to defend the Republic when I was told Armenia was turning traitorous, and when I learned the truth of the matter I took action to dismiss my forces and send them back home. Needless to say, I do believe I had proven my loyalty to the Republic.

I would not like to raise my armies again, just to send them off to where they were going anyways. However, I suppose it is my duty as a lady of the Republic to do so. I would like to meet the Proconsul personally to discuss these matters, that we may, in real time, hold talks of strategy and diplomacy, that I may reveal to him what I know in full, to answer his questions, and lastly to coordinate the retaliation effort. Please send this message to him, and tell him that, to sweeten the deal of meeting me in my palace, we shall be holding a feast and celebration in his honor. The palace will be under very heavy guard to ensure his safety from those barbaric zealots, to stop them from so much as coming into his sight. Please, Tribune Fabius, take this message to Crassus."

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:58 pm

X Aprilis, DCCXI A.U.C.

Mark Antony
Nicomedia,
Bithynia,
The Roman Republic

Antony frowned, time was running out and many of his plans were not yet in order. He had begun raising a grand army from the local population, but locals were not Legionnaires, and he would only be able to raise a few thousand more men by the time Crassus would arrive. Antony immediately gave out the orders, a new auxiliary legion was to be trained consisting of urban men from the ages of 16 to 40, the legionnaires would be compensated for their time away from their homes and would be assembled in their respective cities to assist the local garrisons. They would help to augment local defenses while the Legions fought off Crassus's men in the south along with help from the Cappadocians. He sent out the orders and walked quickly to his hall and sat back in his chair taking a sip of wine. He looked to one of his guards who was posted in the room in his palace and said "What is your name soldier?" The guard replied "Otho Papus my lord." Antony replied "Good, Otho, hand this letter to the chief administrator, he will be sending out quite a few letters in the coming days. Rallying the men." The guard replied "Yes my lord." Antony then said "Good." He finished his glass of wine and left the room to address his subordinate Legates.

When he arrived the two men stood before him and saluted. He saluted in return and said "Legate Nikolaus Marinos, Legate Felix Aquilius, Legate Lucius Morena. I have called upon you because we need to prepare for war. Crassus could be upon us in any moment, and it seems we will not be getting any help. Legate Nikolaus, I want you to help raise an additional auxiliary force. Legate Morena will be tasked with leading those men in battle, but as you share their blood, you will assist in training them. We will need to be prepared for Pontic, Armenian and Legion forces in the coming weeks. If all goes wrong they could all be upon us. Thankfully, the Cappadocians and Nabateans have sided with us, and I have gotten no new word from Queen Miryam since she last sent me a letter, so we may be able to ask her for assistance. But more importantly, the plan I have informed you about before in private is in order, a spy has been sent east with my letter, and he will be the man who tips the tide of war for us here in the East."

Dion Spiros
Off the Coast of Northern Colchis,
Barbarian Territories,
Near Armenia

Dion stood up in his shift grabbing a rope to raise the sail as he felt another gust of wind come towards the ships sails from the west. The winds were strong that day and had saved him a day from his journey. He thought to himself what kind of great treasures he would find in the Far East, and if the men he would soon meet would even trust him. He momentarily considered going home, but he was doing this for Antony, a close friend, after all the other things he had done in his service, this was not too extreme, and he knew that when he returned home he would be rewarded well, Antony asks a lot of him, but he never let Dion down when it came time to benefit from the labors he had put in. He sat back down in the small boat and looked East to the land in which he would soon land. Once this land belonged to the Armenian Empire, but now, it was desolate, full of barbaric tribes and a few small fishing towns that would have what he needed to get across the land to the Sea of Caspius.
Last edited by Alouite on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Ublia
Senator

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:24 am

Antioch, Syria Coele

An enemy of the Republic… Conon liked to hear that as Crassus agreed with the younger man’s stratagem. He had never trusted Antony, not once, the man was from to much of a wild card if any of the King’s agents were to be believed and the conspiracy against Armenia and by extension Crassus seemed to prove this. His removal was more than necessary in Conon’s mind, such a belligerent man would only sap the eastern Kingdoms of their troops and gold for his own private wars and worse for what seemed to be nothing more than the avoidance of Antony’s fist. Such a man had to be removed if Pontus ever hoped to soar once again.

“… Caesar will also informed of Antony’s…machinations.” Crassus finished.

Uh yes Caesar, thankfully very far away the conqueror of Gaul would hardly meddle unless he wished to meet what seemed to be Antony’s unavoidable fate once the Consuls were firmly behind Crassus’s decision. As for Brutus Crassus once more to Conon’s pleasure agreed, the alliance was too vital for both the cause of Pontus and the Crassi faction. For Crassus it provided ships, troops and a means to secure power in Rome, for Pontus it provided the removal of Antony and a far more stable neighbor in the west for Pontus once the political map of Asia changed with the coming of the 25th. All Conon need do is meet this Tiberius Vitellius and dispatch a bird to Pontus to ensure his master was informed of Crassus’s plans.

“All this is most agreeable. I’ll dispatch a bird with your permission to Sinope, my King will be pleased to hear of such fruitful negotiations.” He smiled eagerly.

The King himself will undoubtedly wish to discuss what comes after Cappadocia and Antony, Conon knew rising from his chair himself tempted to see if he might flesh out the Prefects designs. No best left in the King’s hands, time is of the essence he sharply reminded himself. After all the 25th nears sooner rather than later and Brutus must be party to us for when Antony undoubtedly makes his move.

“Now then if that is all noble Crassus, where might I meet my fellow ambassador?” he inquired.
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Neutral: Eggplants and Switzerland
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:19 am

29th March, Ronciglione

Titus Labienus was not having a good day. He did not like sieges, for one; they were a necessary part of warfare, yes, but that did not stop them from being mind-numbingly boring. At least before a battle there was the discussion of tactics, the terrain, plans and backup plans and if necessary lines of retreat. With a siege, there simply was nothing to do beyond wait for the siege lines to be dug, then wait for the enemy to starve to death or surrender.

"Legatus?" A messenger broke Titus from his thoughts. "The enemy sent a messenger out under a flag of truce." He bowed slightly, offering the scroll up to Titus who took it, quickly glancing over it before handing it back.

"Ride out under a flag of truce, and inform Clodius that we accept his offer. I would prefer not to have to have a lengthy siege, but if he will not see reason, then I suppose I have no other option."

15th April, Thessalonica

To say Brutus was wary was an understatement. The triumvirs were all from the same breed, power hungry despots seeking the end of the Republic. However, sometimes war called for strange alliances. Pompey's Dacian forces and Antony had both been rather silent, not marching west as he had expected them to do so. Perhaps they were holding their positions as a buffer against any threat posed by Crassus, or holding his own forces in position, preventing him from sailing on Italia with his full strength. Either way it mattered little. They needed allies, yes, and Crassus was perhaps the least distasteful of all possible options. Pompey had started a civil war, Caesar was ambitious, while Crassus was simply old.

Proconsul Marcus Licinius Crassus,

Health and Great Joy,

Although I have no doubt both Cato and Cicero will protest it, we do require allies in this war. We Optimates are not strong enough to defeat both Caesar on land and Pompey at sea. Therefore, despite our disagreements over the legality of your Parthian conquests, and indeed our disputes over the actions undertaken during Consulships of yourself and your son, I shall hear your ambassadors out when they arrive in Thessalonica.

Marcus Junius Brutus, Propraetor of Macedonia, Epirus, Achaia, Rhodos, Moesia Superior, Thracia et Creta
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:19 am

10th April, Antioch, Syria Coele

As the young man rose and held out his hand for Crassus to shake, the Pronconsul did likewise, however with more difficulty than he let one. He grasped Conon's arm, showing surprising strength for an older man, although he was still weaker than the youth. "Tiberius is currently waiting for you at the port at Seleucia Pieria. Everything is arranged already" said Crassus, showing his organizational experience, and also he knowledge that the Prince would have agreed to his idea . "A Contubernium of eight cavalrymen are waiting for you at the palace gates and a trireme will take you to Brutus at Thessalonica. The journey to Seleucia will take a day at most, the sea travel a little under a week."

Conon then said a few words before he left the room and as he did so, Crassus smiled smugly. Antony could not stand against the greatest forces in the east combined, even if he had Cappadocia by his side. If the deal with Brutus paid off, Crassus would have control of by far the largest army of any faction and would be able to leave a larger guard in Mesopotamia itself. However, if he could prevent it, he would have liked to stay out of war with Antony. The real war lay in the west, in Italia and the senate house of Roma, the soon he could get there, the better. As such he set about writing a letter to Propraetor Marcus Antonius, governor of Asia. It was a long shot, but he could shorten the war immeasurably.

17th April, Antioch, Syria Coele

Gaius Manilus almost danced his way up the stairs to the Pronconsul's palace in Antioch. He didn't of course, he was Dux Ripae, commander of the river banks, and had authority over the rivers and river cities of the east. But still, he couldn't keep his simile from showing. In truth he was very different from his patron, Marcus Licinius Crassus. Crassus was a financial genius and a political snake who had lifted his family from the bottom rung of the patrician ladder to the consulship and beyond. Gaius Manilus had no skill at politics, or finance for that matter, but he was an excellent soldier. Having fought under Cassius Longinus at Dura-Europus and Cteisphon, his men had been the first to cross the walls of the Parthian capital and he had seen with his own eyes the golden thrown of the Arsacids. But even he, the simple soldier he was new the importance of the letter he carried.

Once he reached the very top levels of the Proconsular Palace, where Crassus kept his apartments, he hid his simile and after being waved through by the guards at the Solar door, walked through and saluted Crassus. "Ave" he said, now unable to hide his smile. Crassus, who had been standing when Manilus entered, turned and immediately saw he deputy's smile. "Ave, what are you grinning at?" he asked, although his eyes were focused on the letter Manilus carried.

"Read it" said the Dux "It is from Propraetor Brutus." The old man almost snatched the letter from Gaius' hands and broke the seal. As he read it, Gaius looked around the room. Crassus always met people in his Solar, and it was easy to see why. Not only did its high up position give it a cooling breeze from the Orontes River, its clear view was an exposition for Crassus' power. From here a man could see across the city of Antioch, down to the coast or up towards the desert, and it served to intimidate people who came to beg in front of the Prefect of the East. Crassus didn't smile as he read the letter, up as he looked up to face Manilus, the old soldier could see an almost lustful glint in Crassus' eyes.

"He supporting us, isn't he" said Gaius, it was a statement more than a question.

"Yes" answered Crassus. "He, Cato, Cicero, all their ships and all their troops. They will all march with us." Crassus sat down then, but continued to look at Gaius. "Do you know how many men this gives us? combined with our own troops and our allies? 136,000 soldiers. If you include the men under Clodius in Italia it is 161,000 men. That is thirty to legions of men. More than any other faction, more than the Parthian Empire, more than all the Anatolian client states combined. Combined with the Egyptian fleet, this give us 272 ships, enough to sweep the seas clean." Crassus proclaimed, rattling of figures and numbers. It was said he new the strength of each roman governor, each client state and each fleet in the Roman world off by heart. "They simply cannot stand against us. It is ten times the strength of Antony alone." Crassus concluded.

He then stopped talking and started at the letter for a few seconds, before staring again, but this time in a different vein of conversation. "Its not all good though. The Arab king in Petra has not replied to our letters. Every other client has bar him, at this point in time I can only assume the worst, he must be supporting Antony."

"That doesn't matter, we still outnumber them" mumbled Gaius nervously.

"Of course we do" snapped Crassus "But it still matters. They will probably attack us from the south, but I do not know where or when. That means we will have to strike first, to restore the power of Rome. The nearest legions of the ones under Cassius in Syria, but they were going to be our vanguard in Italy...they will have to stay here for the moment. March south in to Nabatea, smash whatever forces their king has put in the field and remove him from the throne in Petra.If only that snake Cleopatra had done as I had asked and invaded already. I will write a letter to Cassius now." Finished Crassus, giving Gaius the signal to leave.

24th April, Roma, Italia

"How long, O Celer, will you continue abusing our patience?" Began Publius, as he walked slowly down the floor of the Senate House.

"How long is that madness of yours still to mock us? When is there to be an end of that unbridled audacity of yours, swaggering about as it does now? Do not the nightly guards placed on the Palatine Hill—do not the watches posted throughout the city—does not the alarm of the people, and the union of all good men—does not the precaution taken of assembling the senate in this most defensible place—do not the looks and countenances of this venerable body here present, have any effect upon you? Do you not feel that your plans are detected? Do you not see that your conspiracy is already arrested and rendered powerless by the knowledge which every one here possesses of it? What is there that you did last night, what the night before— where is it that you were—who was there that you summoned to meet you—which designs were there adopted by you, with which you think that any one of us is unacquainted?"

Days before Publius Crassus had uncovered a conspiracy by Senator Lucius Celer to open the gates of Roma to Pompey's forces and stage a bloody uprising in the city, he had waited to act, hoping Celer would kill himself in the honourable fashion. But now with the traitor still living, Publius bombarded him with the full force of his rhetoric.

"Shame on this age and on its principles! The senate is aware of these things; the consul sees them; and yet this man lives. Lives! aye, he comes even into the senate. He takes a part in the public deliberations; he is watching and marking down and checking off for slaughter every individual among us. And we, gallant men that we are, think that we are doing our duty to the republic if we keep out of the way of his frenzied attacks.

You ought, O Celer, long ago to have been led to execution by command of the consul. That destruction which you have been long plotting against us ought to have already fallen on your own head.

What? Did not that most illustrious men, Publius Scipio, the Pontifex Maximus, in his capacity of a private citizen, put to death Tiberius Gracchus, though but slightly undermining the constitution? And shall we, who are the consuls, tolerate Celer, openly desirous to destroy the whole world with fire and slaughter? For I pass over older instances, such as how Caius Servilius Ahala with his own hand slew Spurius Maelius when plotting a revolution in the state. There was—there was once such virtue in this republic, that brave men would repress mischievous citizens with severer chastisement than the most bitter enemy. For we have a resolution of the senate, a formidable and authoritative decree against you, O Celer; the wisdom of the republic is not at fault, nor the dignity of this senatorial body. We, we alone,—I say it openly, —we, the consuls, are waiting in our duty."

Publius was standing but a meter away from Celer now, and as he concluded his speech he shot out his hand, finger pointed towards the conspirator. Celer was alone, the other senator "But I give you a way out!" he proclaimed.

"Armed men surround your house, the mob wait in the streets to tear you limb from limb. Tomorrow you will be tossed from the roof of your house and fed to the mob living. But I give you a way out! End it, Celer! When you go home tonight sit in your bath and open your veins, at least then as the blood drains you will have salvaged the dregs of your honour. We can live a day as a coward or end this madness now. Get Out!" Shouted Publius, pointing at the door of the Curia "Out, out, out" chanted the other senators shouted as Celer scrambled away. Once outside the Curia he would be escorted by guards to his house where he would surely kill himself.

"Now gentlemen." Said Publius, calm as if nothing had happened "The senate is adjured, I have a city to save."

As he left the senate house, he turned to his slave "Has the message been sent to my father?" he asked "Yes, yesterday." came the reply.

OOC: Yes, I did blatantly steel the first couple of paragraphs of the Catiline speeches, they were just to good not to use : p and I needed a filler.

28th Nisan, Jerusalem, Judea

"Of course, great queen" said Fabius, taking the letter. He was slightly irritated by the girl's impertinence and hyperbole, she and oriental and he a citizen of Roma, but he hid his annoyance under his patrician smile. "However, I fear my patron will not be able to visit you for some time, as enthusiastic as he is though. He has to root out these conspirators after all, and that will take time. Once these wars are over though, I am sure he will come great queen. However, if you do want to make a contribution t the republic, and prove your loyalty, I am sure Crassus would appreciate if you were to raise a cavalry force if his lands were invaded. Not to fight in the west, just to protect the east."

Letters:
(this will not be released by Crassus until Antony moves against him openly)
To Marcus Crassus

I, Publius Licinius Crassus, Consul of Rome, here by strip Marcus Antonius of his governorship of Asia, Bithynia and Cilicia. The legions under his command will be given over to Marcus Licinius Crassus in his capacity as Prefect of the East until a new governor can be appointed.

By acting against the governor of Asia, he has plotted treason against the senate and people of Rome by acting with our enemies to invade the client kingdom of Armenia. Not only has he plotted the downfall of Rome from within, he has worked worked with our barbarian enemies, including the King of Cappadocia to attack the Prefect of the East and thus aid the traitor Pompey in his war against the senate and people of Rome.

Thus he has proved himself a second Catilina and will be treated as such, he is here by ordered by the senate of Rome to give himself over to the custody of the Prefect of the East to await charges of sedition and treason. If he does not do this, he will be declared an enemy of the republic, denied fire and water, left to starve and die.

Publius Licinius Crassus, Consul of Rome.

To Marcus Antonius

I know the treason you have plotted against me in the nae of your master, Gaius Julius Caesar, I have all the evidence laid out on my desk in front of me and it is enough to see you executed. Currently, I hold the loyalty of 161,000 soldiers either under my own command or through allies while you have under 15,000 ready to fight. However, I do not want war between us.

If you agree to stand your legions down, and neither fight in defense of Cappadocia or Caesar should war come between me and him, I will spare you your life. I will also allow you to keep your provinces and back you for Consul in the next elections, and I shall see to it you are given more desirable provinces for your proconsulship.

Marcus Licinius Crassus, Praefectus Orientalis, Proconsul of Mesopotamia.

To Cassius Longinus

Health and Great Joy.

I fear attack from the Nabatea, last month I issued an ultimatum to them to swear loyalty to Roma and be forgiven their part in the Antonius Conspiracy. However they have not yet replied, and thus I fear they mean to betray us. Thus I ask you to move your legions from Tyre and prepare them on the Nabatean frontier for war. They do not have enough men to be a serious threat, and your troops should be enough to counter and defeat them.

M. Crassus.
Last edited by Elepis on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Pacific Brotherhood of Steel
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacific Brotherhood of Steel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 am

Roman Defensive Lines, Outside Ronciglione

From atop the palisades Clodius watched as the as a messenger broke from the enemy lines. He rode forth under the flag bearing message for Clodius. He hoped and prayed that Titus would see to reason and meet with him. It was the only way he could hope to avoid the unnecessary bloodshed that was to ensue. He looked over to his personal guards and nodded, they stepped aside to allow him down. He would receive the message personally.

The messenger stopped just a few feet from Clodius and dismounted pulling a scroll from an ornate case that hung from a strap at his side. Clodius took the parchment, thanking the messenger and sent him away with a flick of his hand. He read the contents intensely. A large smile crossed his face as he looked up at his second, Mettius. "Thank the gods above! It seems as if Titus can be reasoned with. We shall both ride out alone and meet. Hopefully I can convince him to see reason. Have someone bring this to my desk in the villa. I will be gone shortly."

With that Clodius handed the scroll to Mettius and went off to gather his horse. Clodius would hold this republic together. He would not allow it to die.

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:15 am

April 19, 43BC, Outskirts of Roma

Caesar had, three days before, taken command of the 5 legions from Lepidus. He had thought out his plans for the task at hand. It was quite simple, really. Roma was full of threats, cutthroats, and enemies. Crassus had influence in Rome, heck, even his son was a consul. At some point, something would have to be done, for Caesar had felt that the influence of potential enemies was too great.

He had to put that later business aside, however. A thousand or so of Pompey's forces were coming up and his men would have to deal with them before they could be allowed into the Great City.

Health to you, and Great Joy, Queen Cleopatra. Currently the warfare in Italia and Roma is tense, and on a grand scale. We all seek to destroy Pompey, as he is a enemy of the Senate and People of Roma. I ask of you to help us in our endeavor by sending us the Fleet of Ra to defeat this menace on the seas. I can assure you, if you do this, Cleopatra, your rewards will be great in magnitude.

Gaivs Jvlivs Caesar, Former Consul of Rome, Hero of Rome in Gaul
Last edited by Western Pacific Territories on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vladivostokava
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vladivostokava » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:37 am

snip
Last edited by Vladivostokava on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Ava/Ewa I am from Poland.
我会说一点, Mowie po polsku, I speak English.
I am Polish born, American citizen, I live in China.

Albertae
Senator

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:22 am

31st of March, 43BC

Salona, Dalmatia

Cossus stepped off onto the port and breathed in the fresh air. He exhaled knowing he was home for some unknown period. He asked around for Admiral Agrippa and finally found luck. He put his chest down and letter in one hand knocked on the door. He said the words loud enough to awaken,"Admiral Agrippa, I have a letter from King Ariobarzanes III of Cappadocia. I am Imperator Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus' top Beneficiarii." He waited patiently for the door to open or for a voice to reply.
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
31st of March, 43BC

Past the Pyrenees

It had been a day of marching already and they were camped. Each time they camped the legates and optios would gather in the tent to plan on the inevitable. A legate said to Octavianus,"Imperator, our scouts have said that Tarraco is heavily defended with an auxiliary force Pompey left behind. Why not instead of doing the predictable and traveling down the east coast we march for Lusitania and hire mercenaries there and then head back around to take Tarraco. This way we would be ready for Sextus when he lands."

Octavianus thought about it for a moment and said,"Good idea. I will make sure to reward you should this work. Everyone, make sure to be well rested. Tomorrow we March and we will finish this invasion in the coming month. Also, I need you legates to send out some men to the villages while we are in this region. We will be needing mercenaries if we are intercepted during the march."

4th of April, 43 BC

Aragon Region

Beneficiarii's and Optio's were sent out into the region to hire mercenaries. The region was famous for it's Falcata-wielding Iberians. Strong and powerful men who could bolster the army's size and combat ability. There were also Basquian men in this region who were also famous for much of the same thing as the Iberians were.

Over a period of four days six thousand Iberian and Basquian mercenaries had been hired. Octavianus only had enough to hire these month for a month. He was going to spend all he earned from his campaigns in Greece, so he hoped this would be worth it. They would march on that day, because it was still a new day and in a few days they would reach Lusitania undisturbed.
Last edited by Albertae on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.33
Pro: Trump
Anti: Hillary

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Elepis wrote:
28th Nisan, Jerusalem, Judea

"Of course, great queen" said Fabius, taking the letter. He was slightly irritated by the girl's impertinence and hyperbole, she and oriental and he a citizen of Roma, but he hid his annoyance under his patrician smile. "However, I fear my patron will not be able to visit you for some time, as enthusiastic as he is though. He has to root out these conspirators after all, and that will take time. Once these wars are over though, I am sure he will come great queen. However, if you do want to make a contribution t the republic, and prove your loyalty, I am sure Crassus would appreciate if you were to raise a cavalry force if his lands were invaded. Not to fight in the west, just to protect the east."

28 Nisan, Jerusalem, Judea

"I will follow this, but I still must see Crassus in person, face-to-face. I am the high chieftess of the tribes, queen of the land, anointed by the heavens. I am a daughter of Minerva and Venus, favored by Iupiter and Mars, by your own standards, and by the standards of my people, a people dwelling this earth far before Romulus, I am but a single step before the divine itself, an intermediate stage between divine and mortal. I have shown my patience in the past as Queen of Judea, as an Israelite I have humbled myself, but if you desire that I be a Roman fully, that I follow Roman ways and do what Romans do, then I shall do so no longer. I am recognized in authority by the Senate just as much as you, and my position is much higher. So, Tribune, I would greatly appreciate that you go fetch Crassus for me that I may speak with someone more on my level of authority, and that I may discuss vital military information with him in real time, that we may not need wait weeks between coordination, that we may plan ahead and not waste lives in futile, poorly coordinated efforts to defend ourselves from treason.

I cannot stress the vital nature of this meeting, Tribune. If I know my Roman rankings as well as I believe I do, you are either of plebian stock, or you are an elected official of the military. If you are the former, you have no right to deny when I give you a direct order. If you are the latter, as I very much suspect you are, for you are much too intelligent, bold, and noble in your actions and discourse, much too polite in your smile, you hold so few qualities that could possibly be that of a plebian that I know you must be a man of great military means. Let it be, then, that the armies of great quality and greater stock that mean to face much less significant, much less well-trained, and much less populous forces to be found in Anatolia, let it be that they are led by you, rather than Crassus. If you are, truly, a man of military means, then this would be an excellent opportunity to earn glory while Crassus and I discuss the long game. As Dictator Fabius Maximus can tell you from the Punic Wars, playing the long game is quite an important feature, and the wisest leaders will always give it consideration.

So, Tribune, what is your response? Are you a plebian following the orders of a leader recognized as equal by the Senate? Are you a great general recognizing the military necessity of having Crassus and I meet? Do not be alarmed, I shall surely follow your advice in pleasing Crassus, to defend the homeland while he is away, but I must insist now that you send my message of meeting to Crassus or he will hear of insubordination when we next meet."

Miryam was not pleased with having to have said that. She knew, somewhere inside, that the Romans only truly responded to authority when that authority was given by means of might, threats, and other such displays of dominance. Miryam preferred the more subtle means of diplomacy, friendship, but the tribune gave her no choice. In her view, this was a necessary meeting, decisive to the fate of the Republic as a whole, and she would not be denied her right to meet the proconsul. Even after promising a feast and celebrations, as well as the highest security Judea can offer, she was denied not even by the man himself. This, to the girl, felt insulting, and so she had, perhaps, gone on a rant, but she was satisfied knowing she could justify her every action when pressed to do so.

Alinora
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

Albertae wrote:...

Young Agrippa had just finished dressing when a nock came to his door, and a man's voice called out saying that he had a letter from the King of Cappadocia. He grunted to himself, looking over at the two women on his bed that were clothed only by his sheets, and approached the door. He walked towards the door, pulling on the handle while rubbing his tired eyes, and looked at the man. "A letter from King Ariobarzanes?" he asked, motioning with his hand for the Beneficiarii to hand over the letter. "What could a man of such a title want from a mere Admiral?"

Albertae
Senator

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Alinora wrote:Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

Albertae wrote:...

Young Agrippa had just finished dressing when a nock came to his door, and a man's voice called out saying that he had a letter from the King of Cappadocia. He grunted to himself, looking over at the two women on his bed that were clothed only by his sheets, and approached the door. He walked towards the door, pulling on the handle while rubbing his tired eyes, and looked at the man. "A letter from King Ariobarzanes?" he asked, motioning with his hand for the Beneficiarii to hand over the letter. "What could a man of such a title want from a mere Admiral?"

Cossus handed the letter to Admiral Agrippa and said,"He most likely requires your aide against Crassus. If we are done here, I need to get a letter back to my Imperator." He looked at Admiral Ahrippa wondering what kind of man he was. In the back were two nice looking women, which meant that Agrippa was quite a stunning and ambitious.

Health and Great Joy,

To the Admiral Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa,

I do seek your aid in the defense of a friend and ally of Rome. I fear for the lives of my people against this Armenian threat, and as you well know there remain their allies and benefactors which lurk in the shadows.

I ask that you make haste.

May the Gods bless you,

Ariobarzanes Reginus.
Last edited by Albertae on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.33
Pro: Trump
Anti: Hillary

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Gharin
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:56 pm

The 12th of April, 43 B.C., Crete.

Agathe looked worn from her days of fast paced travel; her body was telling her to sleep after hours of sailing. She merely thanked the Gods that she had managed to reach Nicomedia in time to achieve help from Marcus Antonius. Though he had only loaned her a boat and a guard for protection, she nonetheless felt reassured by his kindness.

Approaching the isle of the Minotaur, they had stopped their rowing and disembarked with the chest in hand. Her servant, Agapetos, had carried the chest as they had trans versed the island in search of the capital. Upon reaching the city of Gortyn, the Lady of Mazaca had inquired as to the whereabouts of the Cretan Archers.

In the end, a deal had been struck; Roman dinari's for service and the possible chance of a native Governor if Caesar were to take power in Rome.

The 15th of April, 43 B.C., Byzantine, Greece.

She had looked like a mixture of the fury of Pluto and the divinity of Lady Juno, yet she had arrived in the Greek province of Marcus Antonius in relative safety. Her guard and servant at both sides, she had contracted out the Thracians and the Peonians, both ancient peoples eager for the payment of silver. Her mission accomplished, she had opted to remain in order to continue recruitment.

The 18th of April, 43 B.C., Mazaca, Kingdom of Cappadocia.

Agathe felt a surge of accomplishment; she had completed her final goal, and secured for her father the aid of the Hoplites. Though they had a history of slavery, they were also honor bound and noble warriors. As she had made way for home, her heart had been filled with a sense of purpose.
Last edited by Gharin on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47943
President-John Wallace

Vice President- Fiona Harold

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:45 pm

XVIII, Aprilis, DCCXI A.U.C.

Aelius Purpureo
Salona,
Illyria,
The Roman Republic

As Aelius disembarked his vessel, he looked to his subordinates and said "We are in Agrippa's City now, closer to Caesar, represent Antony well men." The men replied "Ave Purpureo" and saluted, he nodded and the men walked down the Illyrian streets. It was near dusk and the sun neared the horizon, setting towards Rome. They walked through the streets wearing their armor and as they passed a market caught a few glimpses from local rabble who tried to look less suspicious to no avail, but also the glimpses of a few common ladies.

They continued until they reached the Palace gates where Agrippa was stationed in Salona and Aelius saluted the guard and said "Ave, I am Aelius Purpureo, Decius in the 12th Legion under Antony's command. I request entry so that I can forward a message to Agrippa." He presented a mark of the 12th Legion in the form of the bust of a banner showing the symbol of the Lion of the East.

The guard studied it and then opened the gate and the men entered the palace. They were directed to Agrippa and saw he was speaking to another man. He waited for an opportunity to speak and then said "Ave Agrippa, I am Decius Aelius Purpureo of the 12th Legion. I have come to forward you a message."

Dion Spiros
Off the Coast of Albania,
Barbarian Territories,
Near Armenia

Dion had made his way across the Mountains and arrived in a small Albanii fishing village, he handed the locals a few gold coins and they gave him a decent boat. He sold his horse for a meal and then set the ship to sail east. The sun had set and as he saw the last bit of sunlight fade he thought of his home in Anatolia, so so far away now. His ship's sails were cast and he felt them catch air propelling the boat into the Sea of Caspius. He would reach Caspium in two days and soon be among the Parthians within six.
Last edited by Alouite on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

Alouite wrote:...

The Admiral first nodded to the man who had delivered the letter from the King of Cappadocia and dismissed him, then turned to a group of men who had approached him and explained that they were from the 12th Legion, and had come with a message. "So long as it isn't more Kings, come in." Agrippa entered his room with the men close behind, and snapped at the two women in his bed. "Out, ladies. This is important business." The two women got out of the bed fully naked and left the room, and the Admiral closed the door behind them, then proceeded to take a seat behind his desk. "Please, gentlemen, take a seat" he said, motioning at the chairs on their side of the desk. Agrippa laced his fingers and rested them on his desk, then examined the men for a few moments before finally speaking.

"What was this message you spoke of?"

Trotza
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotza » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:58 pm

20th April, Tyre, Syria Coele

Unbeknownst to Cassius or Crassus, the letter asking him to return to the north had never arrived, and he'd been waiting at Tyre all along waiting for the order to march once again. Meanwhile, he'd grown impatient, wondering what was taking them so long. More and more it annoyed him how he'd been kept out of the loop, having no idea what might be going on in the shadows.

So, while Crassus' message was lost to the endless deserts, doomed to never see his faithful subordinate, Cassius and his men waited, curious as to what the plan was. That was until, obviously, something to the contrary occurred. One day, Cassius was having an especially heated argument with one of his commanders.

"What could possibly be going on?" Cassius asked worriedly while pacing back and forth.

The lieutenant wrung his hands while trying to console him. "You know these things take time, there are many matters that Crassus has to try to attend to all at once, it's best to trust his judgement."

He sat down heavily onto a couch and sighed. "Perhaps it is sitting in this sun that makes me so restless."

"Yes that must be it," the aid said, picking up the suggestion, "all we must do is be patient, our service shall be rewarded eventually."

"I suppose, like it always is." He seemed unconvinced.

"That's the spirit sir."

They were interrupted by the sound of coming footsteps. You could hear them ringing on the marble floors of the governors building. Cassius and his officers had originally been resting in tents, thinking the army would be moving out fairly soon, but after a few days were given more "acceptable accommodations" for the remainder of their stay.

The man entered. "A message from Crassus." He simply left it and exited. Cassius never trusted messengers, and would read it himself.

To Cassius Longinus

Health and Great Joy.

I fear attack from the Nabatea, last month I issued an ultimatum to them to swear loyalty to Roma and be forgiven their part in the Antonius Conspiracy. However they have not yet replied, and thus I fear they mean to betray us. Thus I ask you to move your legions from Tyre and prepare them on the Nabatean frontier for war. They do not have enough men to be a serious threat, and your troops should be enough to counter and defeat them.

M. Crassus.

The commander looked over his shoulder. "So, it appears we finally have a mission."

"Indeed, and to march on Nabatea no less."

"Shall I order the men to prepare for leave?"

"No, not yet. I will not go forward with such little knowledge of our enemy, at least not at full strength. We'll remain here, protecting the southern border, until the 5,000 of my men still up north can join with the main force here, and we can move forward as one. Tell the men to dig in in case of attack, and be on high alert."

"Aye sir."

Ublia
Senator

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Seleucia Pieria, Syria Coele

April 11th, 43 BCE

Haste, had made the journey from Antioch to Seleucia Pieria all the more swift when Conon and his companions, Roman and Pontic both had ridden like centaurs to reach the port before the days end. A dash which had tired their Arabian steeds but that was of no matter, the steeds though precious could not compare to the mission. A mission Conon felt in his grasp as he slowed his horse at the sight of the city docks in the wake of a few startled pedestrians. Unfortunate, I rather had not been so rude, but time oh how time weighed on them all. Turning to an aide he brought to deal with any meddlesome citizens, a plump handful of gold was always soothing, the young ambassador harried but alert spotted the shapes of several Romans near one of the ships.

“Centurion.” Conon demanded calling a gruff looking fellow to his side.

“Is that Tiberius Vitellus and his men?” the Greek questioned pointing the crowd.

At that the officer nodded.

“It is ambassador.” The Roman replied nodding to a man at the centre of the group

“Excellent, let us go meet them.” He smiled snapping the reigns to have his horse trot a little quicker toward the men.

“Tiberius Vitellus I presume?” Conon called studying the man the centurion had pointed out.

Pontic-Cappadocian Border

April 16th, 43 BCE

Pontus like all of Anatolia was similar to a shell. At its edges the smooth coastline settled by the Greeks, with their bustling polises brimming with civilization. Past the shell though all grew harder, much harder, the interior was a landscape of rugged mountains and dense forests populated by the Persian influenced tribes and peoples of the region. In this land had Mithradates the Great hid from his venomous mother Laodice in fear of his own life, until he could seize back his crown, here he rallied some of his most fanatical followers and here is where Phillip of Trapezos would now ready to reclaim the glories that Mithradates had lost. Looking out over the parapet of the high walls of one of many Pontic fortresses dotting the borders, he saw the ever growing train of soldiers and supplies flowing from the north to augment the army he’d been gathering since the King had dispatched him to the border.

Like a long fiery snake, a line of torches moved through the rugged Pontic terrain each held by a member of every race blessed to born under the banner of Pontus be they Scythians, Anatolians or Greeks all were determined to serve. As they should, Phillip nodded, duty was the first lesson any citizen should learn in his opinion with centuries of Greek rigidness backing it. After all it had been duty that’d compelled him to fight on behalf of Mithradates, having heard the tales of Roman cruelty he’d been truly inspired by the King’s call to arms across Asia and so the day after the herald had arrived he’d found himself entering the ranks of Mithradates phalanx. Those were tough days to follow, he mused, every scar across his body tingling with each memory from the triumphs of Asia, the harrowing retreat from Greece and the brutal march across the Caucasus to the Bosporan Kingdom. Now though all those days would pay off as he looked down upon his men as the grates swung open to allow them entry, as they did he wondered if when he was but eighteen if he’d ever thought it’d be him not some dazzling Persian nobleman to lead the armies of Pontus into battle. Likely not, he’d been the son of a mason and would’ve gladly followed in his father’s footsteps but uh the gods had other stranger intentions.

“They’ve arrived I see.” Gordius cut in.

“That they have.” The older man nodded curtly turning to face his subordinate.

An odd subordinate to be sure, he never much liked Gordius sad to say. The man’s father had been a good man, but this one, this one was far too willing to stoop to any level if it brings him power or vengeance. Bald and round faced the swarthy Gordius’s sour mouth and eyes hardly pleased the general, after all the man had a reputation for being difficult and though Phillip didn't mind a challenge he despised it when such challenges risked impeding him. Best to keep him in the rear, where that temper of his won’t cause unneeded issues, he reasoned prudently.
“Shall we review the troops then?” he sighed stepping away from the night and back toward the courtyard.

Nodding Gordius followed and together they looked upon the ranks of men standing ready for review, at the front the infantry. Once trained in the clunky style of the ancient Greek hoplites the failures of the First Mithridatic war had ensured the need for reform and how they had been, Roman deserters and specialists from Sertorius trained Pontic men in the style of the legionnaire and slowly but surely produced results. Now decades later those men had trained the younger generation to follow them creating an army out of freedmen, Greeks and Anatolians. Behind them meanwhile were the skirmishers, hard Anatolian tribesmen with their Phrygian caps, axes, javelins and bows. Then came the cavalry the cream of the Pontic army whether they were armoured Pontic knights, or deadly Scythian and Sarmatian screamers with their steppe horses and taught bows they all would send Cappadocians screaming into hell.

“Impressive.” Gordius noted

“Seven thousand infantry and over three thousand horsemen are to take position along the border under my command. The rest well I think you know where the rest go…” Phillip sighed.

“Antony.” Gordius growled.

“Antony.” Phillip nodded preferring to hide his annoyance.

The King himself would bring his own personal troops south when he came from the capital augmenting Phillip’s own army but still a number of men were to guard the western border passes. A hindrance in many ways still should Conon succeed…well Phillip would offer a mighty sacrifice to Zeus when he returned to Trapezos.

“Attention!” he barked.

At that a great shift of metal was heard as the infantry snapped too while, the barbarians looked a tad more attentive. We’ll need to work on that, Phillip smiled, ready to remind the men what it meant to serve the King.

“Gordius be sure to ready the men for drills at dawn, I like my men sharp.” Phillip noted turning away.

Harbor of Sinope, Sinope, Kingdom of Pontus

April 16th, 43 BCE

“I trust your chieftain is well?” the King inquired from atop his palanquin.

“He is King.” The Scythian bowed.

“Good… I am pleased he could send so many for our cause.” Pharnaces smiled soothingly.

“As is he, great King.” The tattooed tribesman continued.

Looking across the docks swarming with barbarians, surrounded by his personal guardsmen Pharnaces was indeed pleased with what the tribes had dispatched. Ships had been moving back and forth across the Black Sea since he’d sent Ateas north following Athenais capture. The bloodthirsty brute had not disappointed. Two thousand nomads were promised and moving as quickly as they came to the border with Cappadocia, undoubtedly Phillip is drilling them harder than most. After all the man was a disciplinarian through and through. Still more men were required for the coming war…

“Dionysus…” Pharances began.

“Sire.” The pudgy eunuch beamed up at him squinting at the sun haloing the King.

“Summon, Mithradates to me, I think we require my brothers services.” He sighed.

That gave Dionysus pause.

“Are you sure? He’s a tad…” Dionysus searched for an agreeable word.

“Soft?” Pharnaces ventured, “I’m aware he’s soft. Or rather he’s far too complacent with the situation in which we stand. The war made him such…” the King grumbled.

“Still he has a skill for attracting people, a skill I would make use of to bolster our armies.” Pharnaces pondered.

Mithradates charm was in his straightforwardness a trait loved by the rustics of the Kingdoms pastures. A trait found in his father, though the elder Mithradates straightforwardness was merely a Sophists trick, indeed the old King had more guile then a snake. Something the younger truly lacked. Lacking such a quality combined with his usefulness and complacency alone in the King’s mind saved the younger man from the fate of oh so many rivals to the throne. A fact Pharnaces quietly suspected Mithradates was well aware of.

“I shall see to it immediately, Majesty.” The eunuch replied.

But as he turned to leave a messenger rushed forward and bowed.

“Sire I bring news from Syria by bird.” He wheezed exhausted from the dash a letter in his outstretched hand.

Conon, Pharnaces knew nodding for Dionysius to hand him the letter. Breaking the seal as he took it from the cock-less spymaster the King poured over its contents with a smile.

“Good news great King?” the eunuch questioned rising on his tiptoes to catch a glance at the words.

“Good news indeed Dionysius. I think I shall make that boy a powerful man.” Pharnaces chuckled with glee.

Yes the clever youth had performed well, Crassus had agreed to a league with Brutus, the war would begin soon perhaps sooner than expected but Pharnaces would whip his advisors along to ensure the preparations were ready. The 25th it shall be a good day indeed, Pharnaces knew. In the letter Conon further explained Crassus’s intention of a meeting, one the King looked forward to, a shame though Conon won’t be there he’d be aware how to deal with Crassus after such talks. No matter, the King shrugged, Greece is far more important.

“Dionysius mind playing the secretary for an hour?” the King inquired.

At that the eunuch merely beamed as a slave stepped forward with a stylus and blank parchment.

“Now then shall we begin?” the King smirked with pleasure.

To: Marcus Licinius Crassus, Praefectus Orientalis, Proconsul of Mesopotamia
From: Pharnaces II, King of Pontus and the Bosporan Kingdom, Heir of Mithradates, Friend and Ally of Rome and Overlord of the Barbarians
Health and Great Joy,

Noble Crassus I shall be swift for much is underway within my Kingdom. I have received my secretary, Conon of Trapezos, report and am most pleased. Pontus shall be ready for war by the date specified. Already the young man’s father Phillip rallies troops on the borders commanding an army of 10,000 men from the heartlands of my Kingdom. More men meanwhile ready across the sea in the Bosporan Kingdom under my subordinate Ateas of the Scythians. My own elite forces of 1,000 infantry and 500 elite horsemen ready to join the campaign while the hill tribes watch our border with Bythnia. We are ready noble Crassus, my ships fill the harbors of Sinope and Trapezos with horsemen from Scythia and Sarmatia and soon more men will be trained for our cause. I look forward to meeting you noble Crassus, send news when you march north so we may do so face to face.

May Zeus and Ahura Mazda bless you.

Pharnaces II, King of Pontus and the Bosporan Kingdom, Heir of Mithradates, Friend and Ally of Rome and Overlord of the Barbarians
Last edited by Ublia on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Neutral: Eggplants and Switzerland
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Alinora wrote:Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
Salona,
Dalmatia,
Roman Republic

The Admiral first nodded to the man who had delivered the letter from the King of Cappadocia and dismissed him, then turned to a group of men who had approached him and explained that they were from the 12th Legion, and had come with a message. "So long as it isn't more Kings, come in." Agrippa entered his room with the men close behind, and snapped at the two women in his bed. "Out, ladies. This is important business." The two women got out of the bed fully naked and left the room, and the Admiral closed the door behind them, then proceeded to take a seat behind his desk. "Please, gentlemen, take a seat" he said, motioning at the chairs on their side of the desk. Agrippa laced his fingers and rested them on his desk, then examined the men for a few moments before finally speaking.

"What was this message you spoke of?"

Aelius waited for his men to sit but himself remained standing, he replied "Agrippa, Antony sent me here so that you could relay information to Julius Caesar and so that you would be informed. There is a war in the east brewing as we speak. Crassus wishes to assert his dominance there and the Cappadocians report the discovery of a conspiracy to undermine the Roman Republic in the name of the Crassi and Armenians. Antony requests you inform Caesar of this. Agrippa, prepare your men, a betrayal is coming and I doubt Antony will be able to hold it before long. If there are any questions please ask now. I sail for Ravenna tonight."
Hyman Minsky

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:07 pm

The young Admiral raised an eyebrow and shifted his weight in his chair - taking a much more obvious interest in the conversation at hand. Then, he let out a sigh. "This day was bound to happen eventually" he grumbled, tapping his fingers on his wooden desk. "Now let me ask you, why can't Antonius inform Caesar himself? I'm not a slave - I'm an Admiral, and I have much more important things to be doing - especially now - than serve as a messenger":

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Alinora wrote:

The young Admiral raised an eyebrow and shifted his weight in his chair - taking a much more obvious interest in the conversation at hand. Then, he let out a sigh. "This day was bound to happen eventually" he grumbled, tapping his fingers on his wooden desk. "Now let me ask you, why can't Antonius inform Caesar himself? I'm not a slave - I'm an Admiral, and I have much more important things to be doing - especially now - than serve as a messenger":

Aelius looked to his men and said, "Sir, I will tell you, but no one else can hear the full reasoning." He looked to his men and said "Wait by the gates, I need to inform Agrippa of highly sensitive information." The men rose and walked out. Aelius waited a moment and began, "Antony is preparing for war, he has arranged for several client kingdoms to back him and is seeking help from the Parthians, all while dealing with the threat of an invasion from Crassus's men and fellow sympathizers in Pontus, Armenia, and Gallatia." He continued, "I am heading to Rome for a reason." His voice lowered to a whisper so that only Agrippa could hear him. When he concluded saying what he did. He said "Anything else Sir?."
Hyman Minsky

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Agrippa didn't quite know how to respond, so he remained quiet for a moment and leaned back in his chair. After a few seconds, he cleared his throat and began to speak. "So I shall write to Caesar and inform him, then? And then set to sea?" Despite the situation at hand, he was remarkably calm.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Alinora wrote:

Agrippa didn't quite know how to respond, so he remained quiet for a moment and leaned back in his chair. After a few seconds, he cleared his throat and began to speak. "So I shall write to Caesar and inform him, then? And then set to sea?" Despite the situation at hand, he was remarkably calm.

Aelius replied "That would be a great help. But do not write in paper the secret I told you. I don't trust the most loyal courier to relay it to him, the stakes are simply too high."
Hyman Minsky

Alinora
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alinora » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 pm

Agrippa only nodded. For another few moments, he sat still in his chair - pondering the stakes that came with the plan - and thinking about the fate that this could bring him in the coming days and weeks. Soon, he stood up and saluted the Aelius. "Ave, it will be done." he said.

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Alinora wrote:

Agrippa only nodded. For another few moments, he sat still in his chair - pondering the stakes that came with the plan - and thinking about the fate that this could bring him in the coming days and weeks. Soon, he stood up and saluted the Aelius. "Ave, it will be done." he said.

Aelius replied, "Thank you sir, Ave." And turned, leaving the room and meeting with his men at the gates. He looked to the guard who let him in and said, "Have a good day now." before proceeding to the docks. Along the way he stopped to buy some food and drinks to replenish their supplies, but made sure he would have money for horses once in Ravenna, and with that, he boarded his shop and the men set sail. He could tell they were curious of the content he had discussed with Marcus, so he said, "Men, a war is coming, and nothing can stop it."
Last edited by Alouite on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyman Minsky

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse