NATION

PASSWORD

Inside the Political Minds of Kylaris [ARCHIVED]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Etruria2
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Etruria2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:00 pm

L'ultimo Evviva
The Last Hurray

An in-depth cover of the EC referendum and the rise of the Tribune Movement
Written by Simone Tonioli

Simone Tonioli, served as Representative for San Alessandro III from 1982 until 2016 with the Federalist Party. He would later serve in the cabinets of Presidents Urbano Onoforio, Emiliano Reali and Andrea Salvini. He was Minister of National Defence from 2010 until 2013, before becoming the Federal Minister for Euclean Community Affairs, which he served until 2016.

I - The Night it Fell Apart
Something is coming, I can feel it, I can taste it, I can smell it. I do not know what it is, or when exactly it will come, but it will. When it does, I am sure, it will be ugly, dark and vicious. It first came into view, obscured still, that first night, that night our world fell apart. I still remember the roars of thousands as the result was announced, the roars… they were bestial, like a roar of a dragon or beast that had been imprisoned for centuries, finally unleashed upon the world.

That night… I saw the numbers, the graphics, the majority in both chambers, I shuddered, my wife, she cried. Our world had fallen about around us, crashing down like a great mountain. As the mountain crumbled, our work, our destiny and dreams were crushed beneath it, the roars echoed out over the crashing. The joy in peoples’ faces at our failure, our defeat, our crushing blow. Was this even Etruria anymore? Was this country I loved? It didn’t look like it, nor did it feel like it.

In truth, throughout that miserable campaign for membership, I guess Etruria was slipping away from us, bring clawed into that movement’s direction. Many would say it was never our Etruria in the first place, we, of this select group or class of society who lived in our own reality. Entirely devoid of truth or actual sense of the country around us, entirely detached from the universe. Perhaps that was true, perhaps we were operating under the mass hysteria that we were leading the country toward that golden milestone, that goal that would, when achieved, would wash away all of our sins as a people and a country.

But really, that miserable campaign revealed a sickening truth, those sins, those black marks, those were cherished. Those were worn like badges of identity, or rather upon sleeves, so that any insensitivity could be offered as proof of patriotism. People didn’t want membership, because it would mean surrendering to the EC, our identity, our culture and our history. We’d be forced to come to terms with our dark past, the real truth of it, not the half covered, half romanticised version we’ve embraced for 70 years. We’d need to offer ourselves to a cause greater than Etruria, we’d need to offer Etruria itself, turns out not enough were willing to do that.

Its only with the crashing of the mountain and the roars of the victorious that the light of realisation revealed the truth about this country. We haven’t come to terms with our past at all, we walk the streets of Vicalvi and find ourselves surrounded by the Functionalists’ motifs, lampposts, murals and buildings, left spotless and glistening. We walk the streets of Solaria and spit upon the Coian street vendor for dirtying the pavement. We walk the streets of Propoce, Vilanja and spit at the Marolev for being an interloper. We’re surrounded and imbued with our past, we never cleaned it away, we never saw the darkness of it and that darkness has kept itself firmly in our hearts ever since.

Looking back to the day the Revolutionary Republic fell and Caviglia hung from the overpass, I wonder why we failed to clean away the darkness. Who decided to keep the past locked away in memory? Who decided to leave so many, who slaughtered and butchered innocents across the Solarian Sea, in their place in the light of freedom?

I sat watching the TV, the realisation that Etruria is not the Etruria I thought existed, brought me to fury and to tearful lament. We got it so wrong, everything, we got our own people wrong, our society wrong, our priorities wrong. Is there is something wrong with Etrurians? Are we so incapable of accepting the truth about ourselves and our country? Are we so incapable of letting go of our romantic daydreams of our own history? Are we so incapable of being a bit more Euclean and less Etrurian?

II - The Generals of the Shadows

I heard the rumours, the hushed whispers in the corner, of how the military was funnelling money into the No camp, how the military and intelligence were releasing titbits of corruption cases to the right-wing media. They didn’t want to come terms with the past, they refused to do it over their 23 years of abysmal tyranny. Oh, the military, how I enjoyed my pleasure of dealing with them. Not one of them ever seemed to recognise the record their institution held. None seemed to be willing to accept that they too owed the people the truth, let alone contrition. They despised the idea of EC membership, they despised the idea of going into their rightful place, beneath the civilian, behind the civilian. They despised the idea of retreating into the box that any democracy would put them in.

I remember the day Reali told the cabinet of his intention to declare the referendum and official membership bid. I sank in my seat knowing, as minister of national defence, I’d be charged with the courtesy of informing the nation’s generals. I could picture their faces, the sullen realisation, the hidden anger and fury that their government would sell the nation out.

And so I did. I amassed the General Command Staff and informed them, and the faces came about. Though, to my naïve surprise, no words came out, but “I see” or “yes minister, we understand.” And so they, according to rumour, plotted and worked behind the scenes, in the shadows where they thrived and still thrive, to kill it. When I became Defence Minister in 2010, I had been told by my predecessor to tread carefully, “beware the generals, the entire military is built upon venerating, well… you know.” At the time I didn’t, nor did I dare ask for risk looking amateur, but very quickly did I realise what they venerated.

My first visit to an army base was a week after my appointment by Reali. I travelled to the 22nd Army Facility near Castelvetrano. Having toured the main base, met generals and grunts alike, I required the toilet, having been directed to the sleeping quarters, I ventured in and found the world in which our fighting men reside. The walls, the shelves, the ceiling, was bedecked with paraphernalia, relics, posters, flags and photographs, exclusively from either the ERR period or the Military Dictatorship. It was like any of those apartments lived in by neo-functionalists, arrested for murdering a coloured person. At the far end of the hall was a bust of Ettore Caviglia, the Duce Superiore. It wasn’t small, it was large. Black marble, his eyes staring right at me like a hideous monster from childhood.

Shocked, I rushed to the toilet and returned home. I called my predecessor and told him what I saw.

“You get it now. When I first saw that sort of thing, it was… an air force base in Carinthia. Then I saw it again at a naval base in Tarpeia. It’s the entire military Simone, you realised I guess, that the officers allow this?” Giacomo Lupelli said to me, “yes of course” I replied, “there you have it” he simply replied.

For days upon days I pondered what to do, how could we trust our military to dare keep to its remit if its entire body is infected with the Functionalist curse? I approached the head of the Army at the time privately. In my ministerial office he looked uncomfortable, as if dragged against his will.

I said to him what I saw, described in intricate detail. He looked at me for several seconds, “you understand traditions matter in the Army. Without them, we’re nothing more than a bunch of pyjama wearing bandits. We need tradition to be the fighting force you want us to be” he replied.

“This is not tradition, this is perverse veneration of the past, that has no place in Etruria today” I hurriedly responded, feeling the rising anger.

“Your Etruria” he replied to me without flinching nor altering of tone. Before I could even demand his resignation, he followed up, “I understand you and others like you would find it disconcerting to see soldiers of Etruria venerate a period where we weren’t prostrate before northern Eucleans begging for scraps. But please know, that this is not alien to soldiers or officers, you go out into real Etruria, you know, the places beyond your liberal intelligentsia strongholds and you’ll find the exact same thing, in millions of homes. So go to the President, tell him, tell the liberal media, nothing will change. Your liberal paradises will rise up in fury, but what’s that? San Alessandro, Stazzona and Castello Nero? Well that’s 60 million of us left. Remember that.”

“We also act in the national interest, always. We came at night once before to protect our country from MSU backed secessionists, we can come at night to protect our national honour” he followed up once more. The naïve me, knew suddenly, what he meant. And so I kept silent, those words, we can come at night, have haunted me ever since.

As the roars of the victorious echoed through my mind and house alike, I looked back upon those rumours and realised they were true. The general’s words ever haunting me, made simplistic sense, why would they allow us to join the EC? And his words about strongholds, three cities progressive and open, islands of liberalism in a sea of conservatism and nationalism.

We had got our country wrong. We had got it wrong since the 2000s, I never took notice of the far-right fringes’ claims that Etruria was governed by a tiny elite, until that first night. I thought it couldn’t get worse, but surely, it did. And that pacing, black mass I felt coming, would soon make its arrival.
Last edited by Etruria2 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Last Call
Part Two

There was a long moment of silence, and then Yulan spoke.

“Are you familiar with the Sotirian idea of original sin, Xilai?”

The Grand Empress Dowager’s chief of staff nodded. “Yes, I believe so- when Adam and Eve ate the apple?”

Yulan nodded. “Yes- the first sin, from which all of human sin has sprung.”

Xilai glanced through the one-way mirror, to where two man sat across from one another at a plastic table, and around at the two Tiger Guardsmen standing behind Yulan. “Forgive me, your highness, but what does original sin have to do with…?”

“I’m just trying to think what my original sin was. Where the hell did this fucking horror show start?”

Xilai didn’t respond for a moment, and Yulan shook her head and sighed, before wincing at the pain in her chest. “Never mind. I suppose we’re done here.” She tapped the microphone protruding up from the table on their side of the mirror, then spoke into it, her voice emanating from the earpiece of the Research Office interrogator sitting across from Colonel Min. “We’re finished.”

The man reached a hand up to his ear to switch off his microphone, then down into his pocket. Yulan watched impassively as a muzzle flash lit up the room and Colonel Min collapsed backwards, blood spraying from his head, while Xilai averted his eyes and stared fixedly down at the floor.

A moment later, his phone beeped, and he handed her a pill from a bottle in his pocket.

Dongjing
Northern Apartments
Hall of Vast Tranquility

“Your Radiance.”

Aiguo did not stir, and Bojing gently shook him and switched on his bedside lamp. “Your Radiance.”

The Emperor’s eyes opened, and he blinked blearily, staring up at his personal secretary in confusion. “Bojing...? What time is it?”

“Half past two. I’m sorry to disturb you, but your grandmother is here to see you. She insisted. Apparently it’s an urgent matter from the State Council.”

The Emperor sat up in bed, frowning and rubbing his eyes. “Alright, someone get me some clothes then, please.”

Bojing smiled slightly and held out the folded bathrobe he was carrying under one arm. The Emperor took it and put it on, his hands, still clumsy with sleepiness, struggling for a moment to tie its sash, and then he stood. “Where is she?”

“Right outside. I’ll send her in,” Bojing replied. He slipped out the door, still wincing at his failure to keep the Grand Empress Dowager a bit further removed- at least he’d stopped her from breaking down the door.

Aiguo sat on the edge of his bed, sipping some water from the cup resting on his bedside table, and suddenly his grandmother strolled in, leaning heavily on her cane. “Grandmother- why are you here so late?”

“Well, I’m glad to see you don’t have some harlot in bed… or that Bojing got her out before I saw,” Yulan said, ignoring his question entirely and walking over to the crystal bottle of bourbon sitting on a table across the room. “Since when have you started drinking bourbon? I approve, but I didn’t think it was your speed,” she commented, pouring a few sips’ worth into one of the glasses sitting next to it.

Aiguo shook his head and narrowed his eyes, annoyed. “It’s the stuff you got me for my birthday- Grandmother, why are you here? It’s almost three in the morning, Bojing said you had an urgent matter from the Council.”

“Oh, yes- I’d better pour you a drink too, actually.” She quickly poured him one, drained her own, and walked over to hand him the glass, a little bit of color returning to her otherwise-ashen face.

Aiguo raised an eyebrow at her, feeling uneasy. “What’s going on?”

“Drink up,” she replied with a sigh. He took a sip, but then put the glass down and crossed his arms.

“Grandmother, explain what the hell is going on or I’m going to have Bojing show you out.”

“I just wanted to tell you… well, we both know I’m not young anymore.” She walked over to a nearby armchair and slowly lowered herself down with a grunt. “And… I’ve recently got some medical information that I think it’s time I told you about.” Aiguo’s eyes widened, and she offered a tight-lipped, mirthless smile.

“You remember last March, when I had the heart attack?”

“Of course… Grandmother, what are you saying?”

She sighed, seeming to struggle over the words before letting them spill out. “My heart has been getting worse. My doctors won’t say anything overtly, and- I mean, I can still walk and whatnot. But… at my age?”, she said, shrugging. “My indicators have been getting worse for a while, but the last two months apparently they’ve gotten quite a bit worse. They put me on a new medication.”

Aiguo said nothing, processing what she was saying. I can’t say I’m surprised, but- it sounds as though her doctors have it under control. Why wake me at this hour for this?

“Anyways… the period in which I will be able to direct political change into the future is… becoming more limited.” She looked down, swallowing.

“…what are you saying, Grandmother?”

There was a long silence, and then she looked up, with almost the crestfallen expression of a schoolgirl who’d failed a test.

“My time with you is coming to an end, Aiguo.”

The silence drew out for a while longer, and then she cleared her throat, taking a shaky breath. “I don't know exactly how long it will be- but there are a number of things that I need to take care of before that happens… and I want to talk about them with you.”
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Fri May 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Verlois, Gaullica
22nd May, 2019

This wasn't happening.

Looking down at her phone, it violently shaking on vibrant with each successive message, confirmed that it was. She rubbed her eyelids, the coffee and toast that she was trying to stomach for the sake of eating something today were now cold. A faint stain of her lipstick was imprinted on the glass and some of the coffee had spilled over and set a stain on her desk.

Her eyes darted from the names that successively appeared as each message came and went. An unconscious desire to read every message for some ratification and friendship, some love to be found within. Her mind was against such trickery. She wanted to be away from the prying eyes, the constant questions.

Hugo, the one that appeared the most.
Becca, the one that tore at her the most.
Mère, the one that made her skin crawl the most.

Her thumb hesitantly hovered over the power button of her mobile.

This wasn't supposed to have happened. She had been careful. She had been tact. She and Rebecca, had sworn to secrecy for her career. Gaullica, officially, had no issue with LGBT+ persons. They couldn't marry, no, because the Gaullican state did not invest in itself such powers. She could become civil partners with Rebecca, as they had once idealistically planned at her office in Spálgleann. But never marry.

But she happened to be a member of the Conservative Party. Her uncle, a priest. Her father a man of high standing and her mother a woman of God. Her mind winced at every chastising snide of disappointing from all those she knew around her.

With a defeated sigh, her hands came to her face again. This wasn't something to cry about. No, she had no intention of crying. What she felt was defeated. Deflated. Concerned. But... not upset. She couldn't be upset for who she was, such an idea was silly. She couldn't be upset for herself or for Rebecca, that wouldn't be love, either.

Her thumb moved from the off-button to the home and she opened it to its screen. She scrolled past the messages from all her family, ignoring whatever smart remarks they had to say. She ignored the messages from the Prime Minister, though contemplated what his words might be. She feared the worst. A sacking. They were the 'Traditional Coalition', after all.

Her mind traced back to the article she had seen blurt it all just this morning. That paper from the Marianne and the hateful jape that came from the fat tart that was Mr. Robespierre.

Shaking her head, she sighed for what was the hundredth time of the day.

The only person that mattered. The words were a blur to her here, too. And she only had the will to text 'I love you.' before she scrolled back up to the Prime Minister.

His words were cold and unfeeling. She did not expect words of sympathy from him, no, but there was something almost alien about him here. What gave her a modicum of hope was his final message, a concise: "Are you free to talk?"

She gave him the courtesy of a ring rather than another text.

"Mr Prime Minister" the Foreign Secretary began, her voice composed and unfaltering. She was a diplomat, of course she could fake it to make it. "You wished to speak to me?"

There was a second of silence over the phone. But there his voice came, raspy but authoritative. She could almost smell the cigar smoke coming through the landline. "Indeed. I hope you are well."

Was she? It mattered not. "I.. am."

"How did this happen?"

Magic. Fate. A curse. She didn't know. She didn't even... those pictures were private. Did Rebecca leak them? Did she leak them? Had someone hacked her phone, or her servers, or something?

"I.. I don't know."

"Have you been compromised? It would be wise to come back to your offices rather than your home for the day, to get your belongings inspected and what-have-you, I'm not a tech wizard."

"... And to work?" She heard him inhale and exhale, imaging the swirling of the smoke masking him now.

The pause was longer this time. "You do know the position you have put me in. I've got the monarchists biting one leg, with Boulanger," he spat, evident even over the phone. "With Boulanger at the other. He wanted you gone before this, you know. The Community. But you've handed him this opportunity on a silver plate... we're 'Traditionalists'. I don't care what you do in your spare time, I really don't. But you're not making this easy for me. You have to understand that 'Tradition' is in the name. We're united by conservative ideals. Man-and-wife. Not that she's your wife. Such a thing is not possible."

"Prime Minister, you have to understand that I have given everything I possibly could to your government. I mediated when possible. I posed us on a frankly silly foreign policy course to stave away the Front and I even agreed to the confounded referendum. I have done my duty, I have done everything in the name of tradition. I preach the words of the Party, I speak of the social conservatism that I believe in -- the aspects I believe in. I need your help, you can't shut the door on me now, please. Back me. Abandon being the party of hesitance towards same-sexual relationships. I know you, really don't care."

"Aye. I don't. But the electorate do. I don't think I can help you here, Miss Barreau. I don't want to fire you. No, but I'm going to suggest that you prepare a resignation under the pretense of your personal data -- more than those photographs -- being compromised."
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Previous

Return to NationStates