NATION

PASSWORD

Mr. President, do NOT ban assault weapons!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
New Axiom
Minister
 
Posts: 2045
Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Mr. President, do NOT ban assault weapons!

Postby New Axiom » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:09 pm

I just received an email today from Vice President Joe Biden calling for the banning of AR-15s and similar weapons from civilian ownership. I completely disagree with this. I myself own an MP-15, and use it for target shooting every other weekend. I use it as a sporting weapon, not a weapon of murder. I agree that we should force the employment of background checks on all purchasers purchasing ANY weapon, but banning a certain type of weapon is just plain stupid. I can also agree that it is unconstitutional and violates the second amendment. Sure, we'll still have the right to bear arms such as bolt action rifles, if they ban ARs. But, no where does it say that civilians have the right to NOT a own assault weapons, let alone does the government have the right to take them away. Additionally, if they ban assault weapons, criminals will just use another weapons, and slowly the government will ban every firearm ever. Sure, people use assault weapons for mass shootings, but statistically I'd bet that most gun violence is linked to handguns becuase they are easier to carry and hide.

In a nutshell, I agree with the call for enforced background checks on all weapon purchasers, but banning weapons is just stupid.
Everyone has a plan until the New Axiom Imperial Army comes. Then everyone is just like, omigawd. Run.

My favorite user quotes:
Zakuvia wrote:If you aren't imagining a chain gang of adorable old retirees building a wall with Fixodent and using their Hoverounds as tow trucks then you're not the NS I remember.


Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:
You mean Black Friday as in the Apex Preadator of Capatalism?

Victory is measured in gi Joe dolls and easy bake ovens. It was not old age that killed castro, it was nintendo.


Pringles or Lays Stax? I prefer the Lays.

User avatar
Annorax
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 492
Founded: Jul 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Annorax » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:14 pm

New Axiom wrote:I just received an email today from Vice President Joe Biden calling for the banning of AR-15s and similar weapons from civilian ownership. I completely disagree with this. I myself own an MP-15, and use it for target shooting every other weekend. I use it as a sporting weapon, not a weapon of murder. I agree that we should force the employment of background checks on all purchasers purchasing ANY weapon, but banning a certain type of weapon is just plain stupid. I can also agree that it is unconstitutional and violates the second amendment. Sure, we'll still have the right to bear arms such as bolt action rifles, if they ban ARs. But, no where does it say that civilians have the right to NOT a own assault weapons, let alone does the government have the right to take them away. Additionally, if they ban assault weapons, criminals will just use another weapons, and slowly the government will ban every firearm ever. Sure, people use assault weapons for mass shootings, but statistically I'd bet that most gun violence is linked to handguns becuase they are easier to carry and hide.

In a nutshell, I agree with the call for enforced background checks on all weapon purchasers, but banning weapons is just stupid.



MOLAN LABE

Most gun violence is with hand guns and most of that from the poor inner cities, if they really cared about gun violence they would start there.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44463
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:15 pm

In all seriousness an assault weapons ban probably wouldn't be upheld nowadays if it was challenged using more recent SCOTUS rulings.
Hellenistic pagan, firearms dealer/manufacturer, agrarian, loves old cinema.
Blessed and fortunate is he who knowing the sacred rites of the Gods leads a pure life.
Australian gun control didn't work. A rebuttal to the "well regulated militia" argument.
Probably not going to be very active and will come and go until the mods try to fix this hellhole

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76677
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Aye, I agree. 'Assault' weapons don't really have a lot of features that facilitate the kind of gun violence you see in the US. If anything, the features they have make it harder. Handguns are where we should be focusing on.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
The balkens
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18751
Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:16 pm

No.

NO.

NOOOOO!!!!!

For all the people spouting "not all muslims" we seriously need a "Not all gun owners" hashtag.

User avatar
The balkens
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18751
Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Aye, I agree. 'Assault' weapons don't really have a lot of features that facilitate the kind of gun violence you see in the US. If anything, the features they have make it harder. Handguns are where we should be focusing on.


no.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 140615
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Maybe you should be saying this to Joe Biden, not us.


Annorax wrote:
New Axiom wrote:I just received an email today from Vice President Joe Biden calling for the banning of AR-15s and similar weapons from civilian ownership. I completely disagree with this. I myself own an MP-15, and use it for target shooting every other weekend. I use it as a sporting weapon, not a weapon of murder. I agree that we should force the employment of background checks on all purchasers purchasing ANY weapon, but banning a certain type of weapon is just plain stupid. I can also agree that it is unconstitutional and violates the second amendment. Sure, we'll still have the right to bear arms such as bolt action rifles, if they ban ARs. But, no where does it say that civilians have the right to NOT a own assault weapons, let alone does the government have the right to take them away. Additionally, if they ban assault weapons, criminals will just use another weapons, and slowly the government will ban every firearm ever. Sure, people use assault weapons for mass shootings, but statistically I'd bet that most gun violence is linked to handguns becuase they are easier to carry and hide.

In a nutshell, I agree with the call for enforced background checks on all weapon purchasers, but banning weapons is just stupid.



MOLAN LABE

Most gun violence is with hand guns and most of that from the poor inner cities, if they really cared about gun violence they would start there.

It's "molon labe"
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76677
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:17 pm

The balkens wrote:no.

Excellent response, Balk. Truly, you have ascended to the level of the Russian apologists we used to argue with. Bravo.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
The balkens
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18751
Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:19 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The balkens wrote:no.

Excellent response, Balk. Truly, you have ascended to the level of the Russian apologists we used to argue with. Bravo.


whats funny is that the NRA is actually paying me.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44463
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:19 pm

The balkens wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Excellent response, Balk. Truly, you have ascended to the level of the Russian apologists we used to argue with. Bravo.


whats funny is that the NRA is actually paying me.


Heller Foundation pays better, fyi.
Hellenistic pagan, firearms dealer/manufacturer, agrarian, loves old cinema.
Blessed and fortunate is he who knowing the sacred rites of the Gods leads a pure life.
Australian gun control didn't work. A rebuttal to the "well regulated militia" argument.
Probably not going to be very active and will come and go until the mods try to fix this hellhole

User avatar
The balkens
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18751
Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
The balkens wrote:
whats funny is that the NRA is actually paying me.


Heller Foundation pays better, fyi.


i work double for the dollarlydoos.

User avatar
New Axiom
Minister
 
Posts: 2045
Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Christ people, stay on topic.
Everyone has a plan until the New Axiom Imperial Army comes. Then everyone is just like, omigawd. Run.

My favorite user quotes:
Zakuvia wrote:If you aren't imagining a chain gang of adorable old retirees building a wall with Fixodent and using their Hoverounds as tow trucks then you're not the NS I remember.


Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:
You mean Black Friday as in the Apex Preadator of Capatalism?

Victory is measured in gi Joe dolls and easy bake ovens. It was not old age that killed castro, it was nintendo.


Pringles or Lays Stax? I prefer the Lays.

User avatar
Kernen
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6358
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The balkens wrote:no.

Excellent response, Balk. Truly, you have ascended to the level of the Russian apologists we used to argue with. Bravo.


The reasons that a handgun is such a lethal tool in the hands of a criminal are the same reasons that a handgun is such a valuable tool in the hands of a law abiding citizen looking to protect themselves. Even if additional layers of safety requirements were placed on handguns, they wouldn't be banned.

I've always believed that the problem of gun violence in the US stems not from a lack of regulation but a lack of enforcement on existing regulation. Straw purchases are still absurdly easy to set up.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 40472
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Well? How many mass killings has Australia had since Port Arthur?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44463
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 pm

New Axiom wrote:Christ people, stay on topic.


An assault weapon ban likely wouldn't last long anyways because of Heller and Caetano, I wouldn't worry much.
Hellenistic pagan, firearms dealer/manufacturer, agrarian, loves old cinema.
Blessed and fortunate is he who knowing the sacred rites of the Gods leads a pure life.
Australian gun control didn't work. A rebuttal to the "well regulated militia" argument.
Probably not going to be very active and will come and go until the mods try to fix this hellhole

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54361
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 pm

It takes 18-24 months for the United States to vet and verify the intentions of people seeking refugee status in the United States.
FBI Director James Comey has admitted that even with the 18-24 month timeframe, it is impossible for the United States to fully vet Syrian refugees because the quality of the background check is only as good as the databases they can pull information from.
ISIS is said to possess Syrian passport printing equipment as well as passport blanks, providing the terror group the ability to give their fighters new identities to sneak into the west. Even if our intelligence agencies are able to access Syrian databases - unlikely since Syria is a failed state - there is no guarantee that a refugee is who they say they are.
Even if it is determined that a refugee applicant supported ISIS, the Obama administration has enacted regulations to allow people who provide "limited material support" to a terror organization to gain entry into the US anyway. Previously, any proof of supporting terrorism was an immediate disqualifier
Barack Obama has taken a process that takes 18-24 months, which experts say still isn't enough time to fully vet refugee applications, and reduced the entire process to just 3 months.
24 months -> 3 months = 87.5% reduction
Barack Obama has declared that it is too easy to buy a gun in the United States of America.
Under federal law, it is illegal for someone to purchase or possess firearms if (1) they are convicted of a felony or imprisoned for a term exceeding one year; (2) they are convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence; (3) they are a fugitive from justice; (4) they are unlawfully addicted to illegal drugs; (5) they have been adjudicated as mentally defective or involuntarily committed to a mental hospital; (6) they have been dishonorably discharged from the US military; (7) they have renounced their US citizenship; (8) they are an illegal alien; or (9) they are the subject of a restraining order.
The standard for deciding which Americans are allowed to have guns is higher than the standard Barack Obama and Clinton used to decide which Syrian rebels could have guns (spoiler: they gave guns to ISIS)


Sources in link;
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/com ... /?sort=top

The perspective here is totally skewed. The reaction to Orlando makes no sense in this context.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The plague has been worse for women.
It's true that more men are dying from COVID, but that's not exactly a cause for celebration.
https://i.redd.it/oqy5p3p1ayv41.png

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52164
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Well? How many mass killings has Australia had since Port Arthur?


Everyone knows that's a false equivalence because reasons. :roll:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44463
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Well? How many mass killings has Australia had since Port Arthur?


4 I think.
Hellenistic pagan, firearms dealer/manufacturer, agrarian, loves old cinema.
Blessed and fortunate is he who knowing the sacred rites of the Gods leads a pure life.
Australian gun control didn't work. A rebuttal to the "well regulated militia" argument.
Probably not going to be very active and will come and go until the mods try to fix this hellhole

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76677
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 pm

Kernen wrote:The reasons that a handgun is such a lethal tool in the hands of a criminal are the same reasons that a handgun is such a valuable tool in the hands of a law abiding citizen looking to protect themselves. Even if additional layers of safety requirements were placed on handguns, they wouldn't be banned.

I've always believed that the problem of gun violence in the US stems not from a lack of regulation but a lack of enforcement on existing regulation. Straw purchases are still absurdly easy to set up.

The handgun isn't a valuable tool in the hands of a 'law-abiding citizen'. Jesus, do you know how rare it is that someone successfully defends themselves against a crime with a firearm?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
The balkens
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18751
Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Well? How many mass killings has Australia had since Port Arthur?



Well it did give us the glorious /k/ube.

User avatar
Xadufell
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1185
Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Xadufell » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:24 pm

What if I told you... AR-15s aren't fully automatic and shouldn't be called "assault weapons".
But honestly though, what is this argument? "Yee, we shud ban ass-ault wepons cuz sum gai shot up peeple." How about we get more law abiding citizens guns and abolish "gun-free zones". Outlaws take advantage of gun free zones, imagine if someone had a gun and was able to shoot and kill the gunman at Orlando? And this b-s that "Oh, if citizens have guns they gone kill more people" shouldn't be acknowledged if everyone could get familiar with how to operate and accurately fire a firearm.
28 Year old autistic twat.
!!!WE MADE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Pro: Right Wing, Israel, The Donald, Guns, Free Speech, Capitalism, Switzerland, Germany, Britain leaving the EU, TEMPORARY ban on Muslims until everything gets sorted out, Republicans, Russia.
Anti: Hillary, Sanders, Democrats, Radical Islam, ISIS, Illegal Immigration, BLM (Because they obviously do.), Obama, MSNBC, Left Wing, Radical Anything (Virtually), Turkey, Trump Protesters who have no valid points.

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why would anyone waste a good bullet on the likes of CNN anyway? I don't understand why anyone would get that worked up over a bunch of dipshits, christ if their shit show is getting you that worked up, just turn the damn thing off and go for a walk/run/ride.

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54361
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:24 pm

If the US wants less gun crime, they need to end the war on drugs. Not ban guns or restrict their usage more.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The plague has been worse for women.
It's true that more men are dying from COVID, but that's not exactly a cause for celebration.
https://i.redd.it/oqy5p3p1ayv41.png

User avatar
Ralkovian Grand Island
Minister
 
Posts: 2119
Founded: Dec 16, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ralkovian Grand Island » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Looks like I'm buying some assault rifles.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk.

Estainia: The countless genocides...So many countless genocides.


Old Tyrannia wrote:You've never met Ralk before, have you? Ralk doesn't have friends.
He only respects the strong, and preys on the weak.
He might act polite and smile all the time, but always remember...
The day will come when you'll wake up to find him looming over your bed,
knife in hand, and he'll still be smiling.

Constaniana wrote:Ralk is evil incarnate, shouldn't you know this by now?

Seriong wrote:Ralk isn't a troll, he's just despicable.

User avatar
The East Marches
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13843
Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Aye, I agree. 'Assault' weapons don't really have a lot of features that facilitate the kind of gun violence you see in the US. If anything, the features they have make it harder. Handguns are where we should be focusing on.


Get that trash reasonable opinion off this NSG. Hyperbole only please.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.


Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44463
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Ralkovian Grand Island wrote:Looks like I'm buying some assault rifles.


Have fun paying $20,000+.
Hellenistic pagan, firearms dealer/manufacturer, agrarian, loves old cinema.
Blessed and fortunate is he who knowing the sacred rites of the Gods leads a pure life.
Australian gun control didn't work. A rebuttal to the "well regulated militia" argument.
Probably not going to be very active and will come and go until the mods try to fix this hellhole

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Astoria-, An Alan Smithee Nation, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Borderlands of Rojava, Cydis Kel, Debate Proxy 1, Ethel mermania, Nobel Hobos 2, Parxland, Sveia, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads