NATION

PASSWORD

London Mayor to ban 'Beach Body' Ads

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Gauliscia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

London Mayor to ban 'Beach Body' Ads

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:23 pm

London mayor plans negative body image advert ban on Tube, buses and trains
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36516378

So, essentially, in the name of protection and anti-hate, Sadiq Khan wants to ban adverts that show a negative body image, because it might place undue pressure on people not blessed with a sexy torso to get fitter. A lot of freedom-cynical people think it's justified, racist bigots think it's because he's Muslim. What do you think?

Personally, my issue with this ban is that it's censorship. Plain and simple. If a company pays for an advert to go up it should do, providing the host agrees to it too. It's not the government's role to tell companies what they can and can't publish. If something's obviously obscene or offensive there'll be enough pressure to have it removed. Secondly, a negative body image? Personally, it's promoting a better image. People should respect their bodies more, that means not abusing it by getting fat but through exercise and gastronomic restraint. Again, that's their problem, but I think pressure on people to improve how they look is acceptable, it's free speech.

A lot of people say appearance isn't importance. Personally, in my experience it's an excuse for being lazy. If someone styles their hair, shaves, dresses reasonably smart/fashionably, they are obviously capable of looking after themselves and are smart individuals. How can I trust the hygiene of a kitchen if they can't even shower in the morning?
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ
Hail Wodin, Father of Men and Lord of Walhalla
Gauliscia is a Wodinist and germanic parliamentary democracy headed by a monarch. The Stalwart Boar Party in power backs a strong military, friendly foreign policy, a pious proud people and government support for the needy. It's a primeval landscape roamed by rich fauna. Gauliscia is lead by its aristocratic elite but fuelled by the working class.
Dutch and Hungarian, British educated. I have yet to find a political camp but my tendencies are to traditionalism, collectivism, nationalism and statism. I enjoy epic poetry and literature, hunting, drinking, wenching and rugby.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Oh Sadiq :P

I don't have much of an opinion on this, but I'd rather he focus on other issues in my city tbch.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Public transport is owned by the government, isn't it? So it makes sense for the government to choose what sort of advertising is allowed on it.

Gauliscia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:Public transport is owned by the government, isn't it? So it makes sense for the government to choose what sort of advertising is allowed on it.

Some public transport is, which I don't agree with either tbh. But the government should have the courtesy to just allow it..
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ
Gauliscia is a Wodinist and germanic parliamentary democracy headed by a monarch. The Stalwart Boar Party in power backs a strong military, friendly foreign policy, a pious proud people and government support for the needy. It's a primeval landscape roamed by rich fauna. Gauliscia is lead by its aristocratic elite but fuelled by the working class.
Dutch and Hungarian, British educated. I have yet to find a political camp but my tendencies are to traditionalism, collectivism, nationalism and statism. I enjoy epic poetry and literature, hunting, drinking, wenching and rugby.

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:31 pm

I suppose this sort of thinking is the opposite of idealism. Ideals are essentially subjective, of course, but most people adhere to thinking a certain body type is attractive over, say, obesity. This ban suppresses the ideal, calling it unhealthy and demeaning. I think unfit people are far more unhealthy, frankly.
電光石火Lightning fast
For: RAGE, hypercapitalism, national fragmentation, city-states, transhumanism
Against: Feminism, identity politics, gun control, liberal-progressivism

Gauliscia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Southerly Gentleman wrote:I suppose this sort of thinking is the opposite of idealism. Ideals are essentially subjective, of course, but most people adhere to thinking a certain body type is attractive over, say, obesity. This ban suppresses the ideal, calling it unhealthy and demeaning. I think unfit people are far more unhealthy, frankly.

The so called summer body is how all people who do normal levels of exercise (outdoors) and eating should look like...
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Westoropa wrote:If the London mayor done this to respecting muslim believes system than I am ok with this, as long this is not made to appease white christians.

What's the difference between appeasing the beliefs of a Muslim and appeasing the beliefs of a white Christian?
電光石火Lightning fast

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Seems trivial, to be quite frank.

My main gripe would be him wasting his time with this, rather than spending it on more important issues.

Gauliscia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Westoropa wrote:If the London mayor done this to respecting muslim believes system than I am ok with this, as long this is not made to appease white christians.

Wut?
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Gauliscia wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:I suppose this sort of thinking is the opposite of idealism. Ideals are essentially subjective, of course, but most people adhere to thinking a certain body type is attractive over, say, obesity. This ban suppresses the ideal, calling it unhealthy and demeaning. I think unfit people are far more unhealthy, frankly.

The so called summer body is how all people who do normal levels of exercise (outdoors) and eating should look like...

That's not strictly true; it depends on what you define as "normal levels". But for the most part I agree with what you're saying.
電光石火Lightning fast

Gauliscia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Sanctissima wrote:Seems trivial, to be quite frank.

My main gripe would be him wasting his time with this, rather than spending it on more important issues.

Trivial? This is censorship!
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Westoropa wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:What's the difference between appeasing the beliefs of a Muslim and appeasing the beliefs of a white Christian?

Muslims are discriminated and demonised people in the West because of the actions of the majority. They are vulnerable minority that needs more priorities.

ok...

why does that give them priority over public that affects everyone though?
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

Gauliscia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Southerly Gentleman wrote:
Gauliscia wrote:The so called summer body is how all people who do normal levels of exercise (outdoors) and eating should look like...

That's not strictly true; it depends on what you define as "normal levels". But for the most part I agree with what you're saying.

I swim, play football, rugby and so on. I eat a fair amount, and I love food. I've got a light tan from my toes to my forehead and I've got little flabber. I've got no shame at boarding school walking round at this time year with just a pair of boxers in the dorm...
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:38 pm

what.

Gauliscia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Westoropa wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:What's the difference between appeasing the beliefs of a Muslim and appeasing the beliefs of a white Christian?

Muslims are discriminated and demonised people in the West because of the actions of the majority. They are vulnerable minority that needs more priorities.

Why should you prioritise a minority?
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:39 pm

The balkens wrote:what.

deus vult?

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:39 pm

:lol:
Valaran wrote:
The balkens wrote:what.

deus vult?

Nyyeeeessss

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Gauliscia wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:Seems trivial, to be quite frank.

Trivial? This is censorship!

For body ads.

On public transport.

Forgive me if I fail to see the gravity of the situation. It's not like he's tearing up the Magna Carta or outlawing free speech. No, he may be wrong in doing this, but it's still a trivial issue. There are far more pressing matters facing London that he could have been attending to, rather than wasting his time with this.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

The balkens wrote::lol:
Valaran wrote:
deus vult?

Nyyeeeessss

Is that a Filthy frank reference.

I propose a crusade against such a heretically sjw policy.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Oh look. Progressive censorship campaigns.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Valaran wrote:
The balkens wrote::lol:

Nyyeeeessss

nyyyeeeesssss

Gauliscia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauliscia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Gauliscia wrote:Trivial? This is censorship!

For body ads.

On public transport.

Forgive me if I fail to see the gravity of the situation. It's not like he's tearing up the Magna Carta or outlawing free speech. No, he may be wrong in doing this, but it's still a trivial issue. There are far more pressing matters facing London that he could have been attending to, rather than wasting his time with this.

Definitely a waste of time, but it brings up an important issue; the government/mayor trying to censor 'offensive' content...
ᛒᚰᚾᛞᚽᛊᚱᚼᛁᚴ ᛞᛜᚹᚪᛚᛁᚵᛁᛂ

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:44 pm

The balkens wrote:
Valaran wrote:

nyyyeeeesssss

100+ pope points. Do we unleash Chin Chin?

Gauliscia wrote:Definitely a waste of time, but it brings up an important issue; the government/mayor trying to censor 'offensive' content...

Its out of wack, but meh. I don't feel my rights have been violated to any great degree if this goes ahead, and as for the precedent argument - if he does from something more substantial, there will be a reaction.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Gauliscia wrote:Personally, my issue with this ban is that it's censorship. Plain and simple. If a company pays for an advert to go up it should do, providing the host agrees to it too.

Unless the host is the state, in which case, fuck you, government. You'll take our ad whether you want to or not.

Big Brain City
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 09, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Big Brain City » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Oh look. Progressive censorship campaigns.

A questionably relevant one, yes.
Eh. I was hoping for something more exciting from Sadiq Khan.
THE STATE OF BIG BRAIN CITY
EXITUS ACTA PROBAT

The Big Brain wrote:Freedom? People are fools and unworthy of much freedom. Even I am a fool. Many people have recognized that and want me to suffer for it.
Unfortunately for them, I can glass their planets.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General