NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCUSSION] What spawned the Privacy Violation rule?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sun May 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Aside from the fact that it was a perfectly reasonable remark under the circumstances, I see no practical difference between Reploid Productions' Facebook post and if she had, say, made the same comment in real life, over dinner with some friends; it was a private remark not intended for public disclosure and we shouldn't censor players for things they do or say off-site. If Dread Lady Nathanica had come online saying "This is what Reppy said to me while I was round at her house for cheese and wine tasting* yesterday evening..." then I don't think any of us would have considered the remarks at all relevant to anything.

This discussion's not about what Reppy said though; this is about what Nathi did:

Nathi linked to the personal Facebook page of a NationStates player, potentially providing information that could be used by other players to cause that person actual real-life harm and grief. The fact that Nathi believed (innocently but mistakenly) that the profile was already public knowledge and had adequate information protection is probably the reason she only received a warning; if it had been done knowledgeably or maliciously, this could reasonably have been a DEAT offence - especially since her objective in linking the Facebook post had been to undermine Reppy anyway. Ultimately, given Nathi's background she ought to have known better than this even if the rules around Doxxing weren't altogether clear and the punishment in this case seems absolutely appropriate.

*While listening to Bach and wearing formal attire. In my mind, the mods' personal lives are all suave and classy and apparently set in Downton Abbey.
Last edited by Ularn on Sun May 08, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sun May 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Araraukar wrote:Nathi, I used to look up to you. I hope you once were worth that respect.

Let's not please. We have determined that no malice was involved. This is not for tearing into Nathi. I am not saying 'Don't be disappointed in her' because that's so not within my ability to direct (Dammit, Jim, I'm a Moderator, not a telepath), but we don't need to state such here.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 08, 2016 7:54 pm

NERVUN wrote:Let's not please.

I edited it out. Sorry. I should know better than to post when I'm practically sleepwalking. :oops:
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun May 08, 2016 8:07 pm

Bitchy posts withdrawn.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Previous

Return to Moderation