NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Post-Modern Tech Community Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

ServoDroid Inc
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby ServoDroid Inc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:59 am

Hello!

I'm an experienced FT roleplayer interested in getting back into that International Incidents grind, but I've been debating as to whether or not a "Megacorporation" themed nation would be better suited for PMT or FT. I'm wanting thoughts and opinions on what would fit the bill for ServoDroid Inc. To help facilitate this I've got a few characteristics below to help categorize this corporation:
  • Combat Automatons. (Robots, Droids, Mechs, etc.)
  • Cybernetic enhancements/implants.
  • Advanced computing technology. (May or may not include artificial intelligence.)
  • Advanced propulsion tech and energy generation.

I feel like a lot of these characteristics cross between the two tech levels but I've never done PMT before and I'm kinda keen on trying it out. Would any of this be something you'd normally see in PMT roleplay here?
The Megacorporation of ServoDroid Inc
Citizen of the Cyrannus Star System

Certainly not a puppet of Kelvaros Prime.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:17 am

ServoDroid Inc wrote:Hello!

I'm an experienced FT roleplayer interested in getting back into that International Incidents grind, but I've been debating as to whether or not a "Megacorporation" themed nation would be better suited for PMT or FT. I'm wanting thoughts and opinions on what would fit the bill for ServoDroid Inc. To help facilitate this I've got a few characteristics below to help categorize this corporation:
  • Combat Automatons. (Robots, Droids, Mechs, etc.)
  • Cybernetic enhancements/implants.
  • Advanced computing technology. (May or may not include artificial intelligence.)
  • Advanced propulsion tech and energy generation.

I feel like a lot of these characteristics cross between the two tech levels but I've never done PMT before and I'm kinda keen on trying it out. Would any of this be something you'd normally see in PMT roleplay here?

- I mean, we have primitive versions similar tech right now, though I don't necessarily think a humanoid combat droid is a good idea in MT, PMT, or FT tbh. I'd safely call this PMT.
- Given that cybernetics are one of the key aspects of cyberpunk, a decidely PMT feeling genre I'd safely call this PMT as well.
- Again, Artificial Intelligence is generally a PMT technology, though if it can operate on a galactic level maybe not.
- This is vague as heck. Your milage may vary, though I probably wouldn't call antimatter reactors, or FTL travel PMT.

Really though the problem is that, as far as I'm concerned is that you're trying to think of PMT and FT as being marked by specific technologies. Insofar as I generally think of it, its more a matter of feeling. PMT nations have more grounded approach to speculative societies, and generally have terrestrial concerns, with maybe some intrastellar or transtellar holdings. An FT society operates at a completely different level on a definitively interstellar reach and area of concern.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

ServoDroid Inc
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby ServoDroid Inc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:45 am

Post War America wrote:Really though the problem is that, as far as I'm concerned is that you're trying to think of PMT and FT as being marked by specific technologies. Insofar as I generally think of it, its more a matter of feeling. PMT nations have more grounded approach to speculative societies, and generally have terrestrial concerns, with maybe some intrastellar or transtellar holdings. An FT society operates at a completely different level on a definitively interstellar reach and area of concern.

Aye, that's a fair point. I think I was more so concerned with such things is the entire premise of a corporation and thus heavily depends upon the goods and services it can provide. The focus on Earth and its solar system is eye-opening though.

Thanks for your insight.
The Megacorporation of ServoDroid Inc
Citizen of the Cyrannus Star System

Certainly not a puppet of Kelvaros Prime.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:59 am

The main difference is PMT is hard, it requires some existing examples to extrapolate from. This can be the DDX railgun or future force warrior suits or a variety of things, you are extrapolating 20+ years in the future. Many of these things will be in the lab right now, sugar batteries, cornershot weapons, helicopter drones.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Something which was a long time coming, an Apple Tesla ball wheel car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0UMgwlGMQ

It might makes for a high mobility platform. I was wondering if it would make a good light artillery platform.

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:52 pm

It reminds me of when computer mice had balls and you had to clean them with wipes, otherwise they'd stop tracking.

Not saying that as a case against the tech on cars, I can't speak to that. Just something it reminds me of.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:18 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Something which was a long time coming, an Apple Tesla ball wheel car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0UMgwlGMQ

It might makes for a high mobility platform. I was wondering if it would make a good light artillery platform.

It's blatantly a CGI image.

Here's some discussion of a 'concept ball tyre' invented by Goodyear: http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160308 ... arter-tyre

The idea is clearly that you'd be able to move in any direction, however as they describei n the article, the clear problem is that a conventional axle won't work, which creates all sorts of difficulties which are as yet unsolved.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:49 pm

I don't remember if I've asked this question before, but to what extent do you incorporate cybernetic technology in your world? Do you have ripperdocs that can give anybody with the money a digitally-enhanced eyeball? Robotic arms? etc.

I myself do to a considerable extent, especially militarily and, namely, treatment of the wounded and getting them back on the battlefield faster or at all. The civilian-side is less explored, but cybernetic enhancements can be common and it crosses into the territory AI, which I'll save for a future discussion.

I'm more so curious about what others are doing.

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:23 pm

My NS nation is partly inspired by the old Cyberpunk 2020 PnP RPG. I am amused it is now becoming relevant again.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Allanea wrote:My NS nation is partly inspired by the old Cyberpunk 2020 PnP RPG. I am amused it is now becoming relevant again.

I feel it was a big thing in the 80s, because the overall theme is common in a lot of science fiction from that era, both literature and films — which I would assume most people would get their inspiration from. Although yes, Cyberpunk 2077 makes the topic very apropo.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:56 pm

The Macabees wrote:I don't remember if I've asked this question before, but to what extent do you incorporate cybernetic technology in your world? Do you have ripperdocs that can give anybody with the money a digitally-enhanced eyeball? Robotic arms? etc.

I myself do to a considerable extent, especially militarily and, namely, treatment of the wounded and getting them back on the battlefield faster or at all. The civilian-side is less explored, but cybernetic enhancements can be common and it crosses into the territory AI, which I'll save for a future discussion.

I'm more so curious about what others are doing.

All prosthetics are basically cybernetic in Amenria, so civilian applications are more common. Outside the more normal use of cybernetics to replace lost limbs, there's a class of Powered called Technopaths who either require machines to use their Powers properly or use machines to aid them in their use of Powers.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 am

A m e n r i a wrote:All prosthetics are basically cybernetic in Amenria, so civilian applications are more common. Outside the more normal use of cybernetics to replace lost limbs, there's a class of Powered called Technopaths who either require machines to use their Powers properly or use machines to aid them in their use of Powers.

Interesting, how does that work? Are those powers inherited or acquired?

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:36 am

The Macabees wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:All prosthetics are basically cybernetic in Amenria, so civilian applications are more common. Outside the more normal use of cybernetics to replace lost limbs, there's a class of Powered called Technopaths who either require machines to use their Powers properly or use machines to aid them in their use of Powers.

Interesting, how does that work? Are those powers inherited or acquired?

More often than not, the latter. Either someone goes through something traumatic enough to awaken their Qì, the resource consumed to use powers (not unlike Chakra in Naruto or Magic Power in Fairy Tail), puberty awakens their Qì (rarer case), or they awaken their Qì through study and training, practically learning powers.

As for inheritance, it's normal for a parent and a child to share Qì colours and pass on the same techniques and powers, but it's just as likely for the child to have another colour of Qì, which is affected by both nature and the child's experiences and personality. A parent and a child having opposite colours (one black and the other white, one red and the other blue, and so on) is rare and could signify an unhealthy relationship between the two due to how different their personalities would be.
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:35 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:More often than not, the latter. Either someone goes through something traumatic enough to awaken their Qì, the resource consumed to use powers (not unlike Chakra in Naruto or Magic Power in Fairy Tail), puberty awakens their Qì (rarer case), or they awaken their Qì through study and training, practically learning powers.

As for inheritance, it's normal for a parent and a child to share Qì colours and pass on the same techniques and powers, but it's just as likely for the child to have another colour of Qì, which is affected by both nature and the child's experiences and personality. A parent and a child having opposite colours (one black and the other white, one red and the other blue, and so on) is rare and could signify an unhealthy relationship between the two due to how different their personalities would be.

I'm guessing you have a rule framework for this magic system? I feel a magic/PMT marriage is relatively unique for sure, super interesting.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:18 am

I do, actually, and I have a factbook page on it. In summary, there are five (normal) colours of Qì; red, white, black, blue, and green. Every power requires at least one colour, and everyone with powers have the colour their power(s) correspond to. The use of said powers consumes Qì, depending on how powerful the technique is. It is possible to gain more colours through training, study, and experiments, among others, but because the human lifespan is so long most experienced heroes tend to have only two colours.

There's also a sixth colour, rainbow, which is the most powerful one of all, and as expected, the rarest.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:11 pm

I don't remember if we had a discussion around this, but it's something that's always worth bringing more attention to —

For a lot of us, PMT is meant to be speculative. It means that we might have technologies that according to all real-world knowledge are impractical, but we speculate that these issues will disappear. Or, better said, we suspend disbelief in order to allow speculative technology to exist efficiently in our worlds for the sake of worldbuilding. Some of us love gigantic land battleships. Would they probably suck in the real world? Probably. Do we care? Not always, because they're cool.

On NS, MT realism is a thing and it often carries over to PMT. They eschew all sort of speculation and don't suspend disbelief for the sake of worldbuilding, because it's not "realistic" (which typically means they think it's a stupid idea).

How do you operate around this in your day-to-day on NS? Is it a big factor at all?

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:14 pm

The Macabees wrote:I don't remember if we had a discussion around this, but it's something that's always worth bringing more attention to —

For a lot of us, PMT is meant to be speculative. It means that we might have technologies that according to all real-world knowledge are impractical, but we speculate that these issues will disappear. Or, better said, we suspend disbelief in order to allow speculative technology to exist efficiently in our worlds for the sake of worldbuilding. Some of us love gigantic land battleships. Would they probably suck in the real world? Probably. Do we care? Not always, because they're cool.

On NS, MT realism is a thing and it often carries over to PMT. They eschew all sort of speculation and don't suspend disbelief for the sake of worldbuilding, because it's not "realistic" (which typically means they think it's a stupid idea).

How do you operate around this in your day-to-day on NS? Is it a big factor at all?

For me, the most important thing is internal consistency, better to have the technological 'laws' make sense, and hold up internally than to focus on 'realism'.
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:49 am

Post War America wrote:
For me, the most important thing is internal consistency, better to have the technological 'laws' make sense, and hold up internally than to focus on 'realism'.

That's an excellent point and reminds me of how magic systems are organized in fantasy. Could you share how you do this in your canon, as an example?

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:50 pm

The Macabees wrote:
Post War America wrote:

That's an excellent point and reminds me of how magic systems are organized in fantasy. Could you share how you do this in your canon, as an example?

Two examples actually:

The first is "warm" fusion, which is a softer form of cold fusion projects, in that it isn't room temperature fusion ala proper cold fusion, but is still significantly less hot than the core of the sun, typically running at or slightly below the temperatures of standard fission reaction. It operates under the principle that fusion can occur with sufficient pressure as a stand in for sufficient heat to make a sustainable fusion reaction. Reactors in this fashion operate under intensive magnetic fields to generate artificial pressure within the reaction chamber. With the right construction this sort of reactor can be miniaturized to a significant extent, allowing for use in mobile reactors, like say inside vehicles.

In short:
Pressure can stand in for heat in terms of generating a fusion reaction to a certain extent.
Magnetic fields can be used to generate the necessary pressure.
These reactors can be made fairly small.

The second is the concept of the Nanovirus, a combination of CRISPR carrying virus, and nanomachines, for use as a means to physiologically change already living macro-organisms. Basically tiny robots, roughly the size of a red blood cell carry a bunch of virus particles inside them, releasing the viruses under a preset condition. The viruses will then do their virus thing, injecting CRISPRed DNA sequences into cells to do their CRISPR thing, the nanomachines meanwhile may either concentrate themselves in the digestive system to be deactivated and disposed of through natural bodily processes or stick around to physically manipulate cells themselves. In combination this allows the nanovirus to make changes to an organism's body, while simultaneously injecting tailored genetic sequences to perpetuate this change. In the Commonwealth this has been the object of a sea change in medical technologies, with the nanovirus craze being seen as a revolution similar to the industrial in that the utility of these systems have been radically altered everything from the curing of genetic diseases, cancers, to reversing aging processes, a viable alternative to surgery and hormone therapy for transpeople, and to a lesser extent (in part due to technical limitations, and in part due to ethics concerns), bionetic augmentation, there are also biological weapons purposes that have been explored, mostly in a counter-agent capacity. Similar research has alluded to the possibility of using nanomachines to 'print' organic bodies that can be inhabited by artificial intelligences on an as needed basis, and indeed this is being looked into as a viable alternative to generation ships for deep space exploration.

In Short:
-Nanomachines paired with CRISPR viruses can be utilized to make lasting genetic and physiological changes to living organisms.

In both cases, the general principles, regardless of their grounding in actual sciences work more or less how exactly how I have described, and in both cases I focus primarily on ensuring a consistent depiction of both technologies rather than necessarily following 'realistic' science.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:31 am

Post War America wrote:
The Macabees wrote:I don't remember if we had a discussion around this, but it's something that's always worth bringing more attention to —

This, and necessity. There could be irl technologies that don't exist in a PMT universe because they already have something else that serves the same purpose.

Japuile
Envoy

Founded: Aug 05, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby Japuile » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:37 am

Hi,

I am looking for ideas for the transition from MT technology to PMT. Are there any natural ways to do this, or do you have any more interesting suggestions?
Head of State
"By the grace of the sun and the moon, by the power of storms and seas, Casimir I of the House of Episcopo"
Head of Goverment
The Honorable Prime Lord Alard Reyrond
Goverment
Absolute Constitutional Monarchy
Citizens have their rights, and so do the press and the media, but His Grand Majesty has great influence in the government, he is in every part of every instance in the tripartite division of power.
IIWiki
Overview of Country
"The future is today"
A 13,4 civilization, according to this index.
Proud member of: ASP, TGO, IOP

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:58 pm

Japuile wrote:Hi,

I am looking for ideas for the transition from MT technology to PMT. Are there any natural ways to do this, or do you have any more interesting suggestions?

The answer depends on the details of your world as it currently is but I'm sure there is a natural, or natural-ish, way to do it. You could RP having a major technological breakthrough, for example. What elements of PMT are you looking to introduce?

Hahoalki
Envoy

Founded: Jul 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hahoalki » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:35 pm

Based on the way things seem to be going? AI. Not, like, HAL9000 or Skynet. Actual AI, like we're seeing in the world today.

Basic image recognition software + a cell phone camera + GPS = $800 worth of avionics at most. Swarms of guided munitions suddenly become semi-practical. And, as long as you're not dealing with civilian combatants, they can decide whether or not to detonate based on the markings on uniforms and vehicles. No need to worry about unexploded ordinance. It won't even prime itself until it sees the enemy flag.

On the higher end, you can put active homing radar and an IIR seeker in a loitering missile, *alongside* GPS and a phone camera, let it loose, and let it hunt for enemies on its own. It integrates all forms of data it receives, and makes decides where the best target is.

Does this open a can of worms about fully autonomous munitions? Yes. But this is the direction we're headed.
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage.

If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
As democracy is perfected, the office of the president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Japuile
Envoy

Founded: Aug 05, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby Japuile » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:12 am

The Macabees wrote:

The answer depends on the details of your world as it currently is but I'm sure there is a natural, or natural-ish, way to do it. You could RP having a major technological breakthrough, for example. What elements of PMT are you looking to introduce?

The Grand Duchy of Japuile is on the verge between MT and PMT, but is having a hard time convincing its citizens to these technologies.

For example, it was introduced about a blockchain-based currency that works slowly alongside regular currency, but the majority of its users are young people.

It seems to me that it would be easiest to wait for a generational change than to change the opinion of the majority of society, although maybe we will come up with something together.

But I have two technologies that I would like to introduce on a larger scale:
Military - Virtual and Augmented Reality Training
Civilian - Quantum Computing
Head of State
"By the grace of the sun and the moon, by the power of storms and seas, Casimir I of the House of Episcopo"
Head of Goverment
The Honorable Prime Lord Alard Reyrond
Goverment
Absolute Constitutional Monarchy
Citizens have their rights, and so do the press and the media, but His Grand Majesty has great influence in the government, he is in every part of every instance in the tripartite division of power.
IIWiki
Overview of Country
"The future is today"
A 13,4 civilization, according to this index.
Proud member of: ASP, TGO, IOP

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:43 am

Japuile wrote:The Grand Duchy of Japuile is on the verge between MT and PMT, but is having a hard time convincing its citizens to these technologies.

For example, it was introduced about a blockchain-based currency that works slowly alongside regular currency, but the majority of its users are young people.

It seems to me that it would be easiest to wait for a generational change than to change the opinion of the majority of society, although maybe we will come up with something together.

But I have two technologies that I would like to introduce on a larger scale:
Military - Virtual and Augmented Reality Training
Civilian - Quantum Computing

I think adoption rate depends on the technology. Take something like this as a rule of thumb:

Who the early adopters are will depend entirely on the technology. It could be young people in a lot of cases. But even when it is, consider the example of Facebook: a social media technology that first opened to college students (you needed a college-provided email), widened to all young people, and was then adopted by an older crowd until it became defined by that older crowd and younger people migrated to alternative social media technologies.

As a comparison, consider technology to improve eyesight. You will have some young people but they will more likely than not not have the money to adopt the technology. The early adopted will be a relatively older crowd with money and eyesight issues.

Or self-driving cars. You might have some young people but early on it will be expensive and so you will probably have people with professional, high-paying jobs forming your early adopters.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents