NATION

PASSWORD

A Pirate's Life: The Sword Coast(D&D/OOC/OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we enter Chapter II?

Timeskip directly to Port Pon
No votes
Flesh out the relationships aboard our ships
62%
Do something pirate-y
19%
Rum fueled pirate ship Grand Prix
19%

Total votes : 21

Cerrania
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerrania » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Camicon wrote:
Cerrania wrote:What if firearms were a type of magic? Perhaps a custom class?
Saleon wrote:mess with the gun stats, and meld magic in between. Besides, guns back then were really bad at aiming, so they were really close range in use. During the revolutionary war, soldiers had to stand in lines and fire at once to at least be able to hit a couple people. You could have specific magic for guns, too.

Guns may have been inaccurate when they were starting out, but they still made heavy armour and bows obsolete.

Now, if firearms are made into a magic spell of some kind, again, it makes a great deal of combat magic obsolete. And if they aren't magic, i.e. anybody can use them, then it makes magic users in general (and anyone who relies on bows or heavy armour) far less important (and less effective) in combat. Who needs a Magic Missile when you can blow a man's head clean off from twenty-feet away? Particularly when you can do so far more frequently through a day than a mage can. What's the point in wearing heavy plate armour when some conscripted grunt can kill you with a single shot before you get close enough to chop his head off?
Free Empire of the Low Isles wrote:
Yes, guns put armor out of style for those that could afford them, but usually, guns weren't that common until they could be mass produced. So, simple solution, gunpowder weapons are relatively new and very expensive.

And I don't know about you, but I'd take the 'no way you couldn't miss' magic missile over a gun any day.

Early firearms, those that were being made when they weren't widely used, were large (pistols were not a thing), horrifically inaccurate (smoothbore sucks), unreliable (before flintlock, firing mechanisms were shit), slow to reload (unless you had prepared shots), etc. If those are the kinds of firearms you want, I would ask you: why do you want them? When they're so clearly inferior to a crossbow, why would you want something which is more expensive, less reliable, less accurate, more unwieldy, louder, etc.

And if you make firearms sufficiently advanced that you avoid all those problems, well, you've reached a point in time where they were not uncommon, and all the problems I listed before come into play.

That seems fair. But a lot of firearms had intimidation factor when they weren't common, specifically because of the loud noise, bright flash, and smoke produced. However, your points are valid. Firearms would probably mess up the flow of the magic in D&D. I was simply posing a question.

If we do decide to reboot, should we meld the crews into one ship and start at Candlebright Cove?
"Amibition is a dream with a V8 engine."
-Elvis Presley

I really enjoy running.

Jordkloden
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jordkloden » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:05 pm

What kind of pirate wears heavy plate armor anyways? Seems like making yourself into a walking anchor. Also, yes to the above question.
Last edited by Jordkloden on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m a communist. Not much else to say.

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:12 pm

On the matter of firearms....
Even in Pathfinder (again, I know we're playing D&D 5e), guns are uncommon, and ammo is really expensive. And there's only one class that really uses them well, the gunslinger, whose gun is kinda makeshift and therefore no one else can use it. There's also a paladin archetype.... someone I know played that, and ran into trouble with ammo. In another game I've played, Gamma World (though it's sci-fi, kinda post-apocalyptic, so highest tech level is swords, and early guns), there's a misfire chance, and it gets worse each time you fire till you clean the gun.
How do those sound?
It appears I'm an INTP-T. You're not gonna get much more about me.
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

Free Empire of the Low Isles
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 20, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Free Empire of the Low Isles » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Cerrania wrote:
Camicon wrote:Guns may have been inaccurate when they were starting out, but they still made heavy armour and bows obsolete.

Now, if firearms are made into a magic spell of some kind, again, it makes a great deal of combat magic obsolete. And if they aren't magic, i.e. anybody can use them, then it makes magic users in general (and anyone who relies on bows or heavy armour) far less important (and less effective) in combat. Who needs a Magic Missile when you can blow a man's head clean off from twenty-feet away? Particularly when you can do so far more frequently through a day than a mage can. What's the point in wearing heavy plate armour when some conscripted grunt can kill you with a single shot before you get close enough to chop his head off?

Early firearms, those that were being made when they weren't widely used, were large (pistols were not a thing), horrifically inaccurate (smoothbore sucks), unreliable (before flintlock, firing mechanisms were shit), slow to reload (unless you had prepared shots), etc. If those are the kinds of firearms you want, I would ask you: why do you want them? When they're so clearly inferior to a crossbow, why would you want something which is more expensive, less reliable, less accurate, more unwieldy, louder, etc.

And if you make firearms sufficiently advanced that you avoid all those problems, well, you've reached a point in time where they were not uncommon, and all the problems I listed before come into play.

That seems fair. But a lot of firearms had intimidation factor when they weren't common, specifically because of the loud noise, bright flash, and smoke produced. However, your points are valid. Firearms would probably mess up the flow of the magic in D&D. I was simply posing a question.

If we do decide to reboot, should we meld the crews into one ship and start at Candlebright Cove?

Yes, to all of that. Just explain in the OP what happened in this little run through, and we can come up with excuses for any discrepancies...

And if you want to do guns, there are certainly a couple of ways you can have them. Just... If you cannot come up with any ideas, ask around.
"Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space." - Orson Scott Card

"Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken" - Orson Scott Card

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends." - Schmendrick the Magician

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

An Egalitarian, humanist, and a member of the glorious Kekistani people!

ButterCatx
Envoy

Founded: May 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby ButterCatx » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:20 am

We can sell off some ships to raise money and all move to one ship

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:08 pm

So how's the reboot coming along?
Wenglesy wrote:Might as well submit now to the obviously superior forces of Legyon fun Genital.

Saleon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Saleon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:29 pm

The Olog-Hai wrote:So how's the reboot coming along?
Why do more people keep picking this picture for their avvie? Too many mirakais, shadowwells, etc.
Sommelier and Sacrificer of Individuals to The Old Gods

Reader of The P2TM Times, a biweekly P2TM newspaper on the RPs and happenings of P2TM. Check it out!
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

"Rood Dood," said Donner Blitzen
"You guys are the coolest Sadists on the internet," Said Blitzen
"A Low key super freak who gives you hickeys that can read into your soul?" -Legato Venari
"Sal, you get a gold star. Please make a note of that, it might maybe possibly eventually kind of matter in some way, shape, or form. Later." -Temp
I'm famous

The Olog-Hai
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Olog-Hai » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Saleon wrote:
The Olog-Hai wrote:So how's the reboot coming along?
Why do more people keep picking this picture for their avvie? Too many mirakais, shadowwells, etc.

It's a thing.
I blame either mirakai or stormwrath for this.

Cerrania
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerrania » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:18 am

This is getting rebooted.

TG me for details.
"Amibition is a dream with a V8 engine."
-Elvis Presley

I really enjoy running.

Previous

Advertisement