NATION

PASSWORD

Mugabe is a murdering bastard

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you back Mugabe's actions?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 73

Franberry
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Mugabe is a murdering bastard

Postby Franberry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 pm

The Daily Telegraph wrote:White-owned companies in Zimbabwe will be forced to hand control to black businessmen under laws reminiscent of those that led to the seizure of the nation's farms.

The regulations demand that companies, including foreign firms, hand over at least 51 per cent of ownership to "indigenous" Zimbabweans.

Thousands of businesses, including the operations of Barclays bank, Standard Chartered bank and mining company Rio Tinto, will be affected. They must submit their plans to comply by March 1. Owners who fail to comply will face jail sentences.

The regulations were passed by President Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF party before the 2008 election in which the opposition Movement for Democratic Change won control of the legislature.

The rules were put on hold until supplementary regulations were drawn up by the government, which quietly published them last week.

While companies have five years to comply, the effects will be felt long before then.

Indigenous Zimbabweans are defined as anyone who was "disadvantaged by unfair discrimination on the grounds of his or her race and any descendant of such person" before independence in 1980.

It means white Zimbabweans are excluded, and the position of Zimbabwean Asians is open to question.

Whites are barred from some sectors altogether, including agriculture, retail and transport, as well as barbers and beauty parlours. Harare's business community was left in shock by the development. One banker said: "This is absolute madness."

A fuel trader said: "These regulations are theft of any business in which whites have an interest; it's just like the farms."

Nick Cobban, a spokesman for Rio Tinto, described the regulations as "draconian and unworkable". The company operates a diamond mine in Zimbabwe that it considers has potential for expansion but has not developed "partly because of the uncertainty".

Alistair Smith, director of media relations for Barclays Group, said the firm was "considering the implications".

Daniel Ndlela, an eminent regional economist said: "There will be no foreign investment into Zimbabwe. Why would anyone come into Zimbabwe with $100 and be left with $49?"

It is not clear exactly how the 51 per cent stake is supposed to be acquired.

The law has plunged Zimbabwe's coalition government into crisis. Morgan Tsvangirai, the leader of the Movement for Democratic Change and prime minister, told The Daily Telegraph the move had been made without his knowledge.

"They were published without due process and in contravention of the global political agreement [which set up the coalition] and constitution of Zimbabwe and are therefore null and void," he said.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Mug ... z0fGdFenj0

Mugabe continues with his tyrannical and corrupt policies, which spread misery further through all of the citizens of Zimbabwe. It is clear that he has driven his country to ruin after taking it by force through his Maoist insurgent group. This is further evidence that these types of policies do not work.

Last edited by NERVUN on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny.
-Aeschylus

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Im no Mugabe fan...But there's something Biased going on with this thread....

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Franberry wrote:Mugabe continues with his tyrannical and corrupt policies, which spread misery further through all of the citizens of Zimbabwe. It is clear that he has driven his country to ruin after taking it by force through his Maoist insurgent group.

No, ZANU won the election in Zimbabwe-Rhodesia... RF or ZIPRA could've won, they just didn't.
End the Modigarchy now.

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Maurepas wrote:Im no Mugabe fan...But there's something Biased going on with this thread....

Oh no I'm biased against shooting people without a trial, repressing free speech, destroying the economy, ect.

how horrible!
-Aeschylus

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Maurepas wrote:Im no Mugabe fan...But there's something Biased going on with this thread....

I see nothing but a fair, reasonable OP, that looks at the story from all possible points. ;)
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

ChevyRocks
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby ChevyRocks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Franberry wrote:Mugabe continues with his tyrannical and corrupt policies, which spread misery further through all of the citizens of Zimbabwe. It is clear that he has driven his country to ruin after taking it by force through his Maoist insurgent group.

No, ZANU won the election in Zimbabwe-Rhodesia... RF or ZIPRA could've won, they just didn't.

Except it was actually UANC that won the elections when it was Zimbabwe-Rhodesia.
"If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action." - Ludwig von Mises

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Franberry wrote:

Oh no I'm biased against shooting people without a trial, repressing free speech, destroying the economy, ect.

how horrible!

Its mostly the name calling of anyone who disagrees with you, and the big "Super Rhodesia", but, hey, whatever you say...

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Because the last thread was closed, since it didn't have any argument in the OP.

Whattaya want, a news report?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:23 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Because the last thread was closed, since it didn't have any argument in the OP.

Id like a little less name-calling and Dick-waving, but thats just me, ;)

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:24 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

I provided comment in the OP, it was previously closed for not offering any comment in the OP. Obviously there are some communists in this thread that would like it better if there was no comment on anything ever.
-Aeschylus

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Yootopia wrote:

That's not really true.

(1) ZIPRA wasn't a political party, it was the military arm of ZAPU, so no, they couldn't have won.

(2) The first election after the Internal Settlement was won by Abel Muzorewa's United African National Council. This was declared a free and fair election by external observers with no rigging but wasn't accepted by the UN because ZAPU and ZANU were banned from taking part (ostensibly because it was an Internal Settlement, which wasn't allowed.)

(3) In the 2nd election, ZANLA thugs went around with AKs "persuading" people to vote for ZANLA.

Sadly, a UN Resolution backed by Communist third world countries such as China, one of the very nations supplying Mugabe, declared the Internal Settlement illegal.
Last edited by Questers on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restore the Crown

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27 pm

What's with the poll?
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Let me try and summon up some sympathy for Barclays bank. No, it's no good I can't do it.

Honestly, it just sounds like he's seizing the property of multinationals, and I can't imagine that there is much of anything left to grab. Anyway, the faster he completely collapses Zimbabwe the better, it's not like it can be fixed at this point. And it's not like Chavez doesn't pull this shit all the time either.

Mind you he's touched a third rail here (stealing from Sharkleys) so I've no doubt there will be all sorts of outrage about this.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Aznakayevo
Envoy

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aznakayevo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm a communist and believe Mugabe is a murdering fuck. The poll is extremely biased, for you know nothing of communism.
Last edited by Aznakayevo on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Federal Republic of United States of PA - Embassy Page
The Incorporated States of Solvio - Embassy Page
The Republik of Solm - Embassy Page
Aznakayevo Weapons Trade (Still Selling, but Inactive)
Aznakayevo is ranked 2nd in the region and 9,333rd in the world for Largest Basket Weaving Sector.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Maurepas wrote:Id like a little less name-calling and Dick-waving, but thats just me, ;)

Then I think it's time you asked yourself why you frequent this forum.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm

I quite like Mugabe, I think he is one of the better leaders out there.

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:What's with the poll?

Measuring support for people like Mugabe in NSG.
-Aeschylus

ChevyRocks
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby ChevyRocks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:Let me try and summon up some sympathy for Barclays bank. No, it's no good I can't do it.

Honestly, it just sounds like he's seizing the property of multinationals

If you'd actually read it, you'd know that he's actually seizing the property of citizens of Zimbabwe and redistributing it to his friends.
"If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action." - Ludwig von Mises

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Hydesland wrote:I quite like Mugabe, I think he is one of the better leaders out there.

Better than Bush, anyway. :p
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Id like a little less name-calling and Dick-waving, but thats just me, ;)

Then I think it's time you asked yourself why you frequent this forum.

touché

Blitzkrenia
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Blitzkrenia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:What's with the poll?

The poll is just there to annoy communists, I guess.
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." -Oscar Wilde

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Questers wrote:Why wasn't a UANC victory enough for the West?

Because some of us are into democratic elections where parties aren't banned outright?
End the Modigarchy now.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Hydesland wrote:I quite like Mugabe, I think he is one of the better leaders out there.

It's the moustache. Very few leaders can pull the toothbrush look off these days.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Franberry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Aznakayevo wrote:I'm a communist and believe Mugabe is a murdering fuck. The poll is extremely biased, for you know nothing of communism.

I think you're the one that doesn't know much about communism, are you 15 and getting angry at your teacher?
-Aeschylus

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 pm

It's all the Queen's fault, he used to be all friendly and smiles and then she snubbed him back in the 80's and he started hating on Britain and the white man,

So blame the Queen, that racist old moo-cow.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General