NATION

PASSWORD

They're just not sane.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

They're just not sane.

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:06 pm

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25 ... 09,00.html

PEOPLE for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is upset with US President Barack Obama killing a fly during a televised interview - and are sending him a parcel to prove it.

The Daily Telegraph reports PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said.

"We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

During an interview for CNBC at the White House on Tuesday, a fly intruded on Mr Obama's conversation with correspondent John Harwood.

"Get out of here," the President told the pesky insect.

When it didn't, he waited for the fly to settle, put his hand up and then smacked it dead.

"Swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Mr Friedrich said.

"We're happy to say that we wish he hadn't."

These people aren't right in the head.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: They're just not sane.

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Ferrous Oxide wrote:
These people aren't right in the head.

:palm:

I think they just go out of their way to prove that these days...

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Why is that insane?
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:10 pm

The statement made by PETA is a very Buddhist sentiment--a wish for respect and compassion for all living beings.

Too bad so many members of PETA act with so little compassion toward their fellow human beings.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Barringtonia wrote:Why is that insane?

Um, because they are bitching at the President for swatting a fly?

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Maurepas wrote:

Especially considering that it's a FLY. It's a creature that would have probably been dead in a few hours anyway.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:13 pm

:blink:

:palm:

:rofl:

Are they really attacking him for killing a fly?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Maurepas wrote:

They're for the ethical treatment of animals, the president is one of the most visible example-setters for the country, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Ferrous Oxide wrote:Especially considering that it's a FLY. It's a creature that would have probably been dead in a few hours anyway.

Houseflies live for 20-30 days, I only discovered that myself yesterday.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizardiar
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

They're for the ethical treatment of animals, the president is one of the most visible example-setters for the country, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Is he not allowed to fight back if he is being mauled by a tiger then?
In all corners of the globe, the free people's slogan is this:
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Lizardiar wrote:Is he not allowed to fight back if he is being mauled by a tiger then?

Is marmalade pink in comparison?

What is the relevance of this question?

Megaloria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Megaloria » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

What they are for and what they claim to be for are often not exactly identical. This is PETA looking for some cheap pop and airtime. Even if it makes them seem even MORE ridiculous than they already are, it sticks their name out there and stirs up their own confused and delusional fanbase. I'd love to see them talk about not swatting blackflies here in New Brunswick. Or not killing mosquitoes in Ontario during breeding season. Let's put them out there in their gym shorts for a few hours and see how they feel about parasitic insects then.
Here's to the losers, bless them all.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Lizardiar wrote:Is he not allowed to fight back if he is being mauled by a tiger then?

Correct, because it is impossible to differentiate between the killing of a harmless animal and self-defense against an animal that poses an imminent threat to one's life.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Because killing flies is Natural And Right, just like testing shampoo on pigs. Alright, maybe not the last one, but still...
End the Modigarchy now.

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:29 pm

That has been a subject of an interesting thought experiment for quite some time now. If PETA leadership were locked in a room with a hungry tiger, and they had a gun, what would they do?

Or keeping in line with the subject matter, locked in a room with malaria carrying mosquitos.
Last edited by Non Aligned States on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:29 pm

Non Aligned States wrote:

That has been a subject of an interesting thought experiment for quite some time now. If PETA leadership were locked in a room with a hungry tiger, and they had a gun, what would they do?

Die, full of self-satisfaction.
End the Modigarchy now.

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

Is marmalade pink in comparison?

What is the relevance of this question?

You are saying that a fly's life is precious. And if he fought back at the tiger he would hurt it. Would that make PETA mad too?
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Megaloria wrote:What they are for and what they claim to be for are often not exactly identical. This is PETA looking for some cheap pop and airtime. Even if it makes them seem even MORE ridiculous than they already are, it sticks their name out there and stirs up their own confused and delusional fanbase. I'd love to see them talk about not swatting blackflies here in New Brunswick. Or not killing mosquitoes in Ontario during breeding season. Let's put them out there in their gym shorts for a few hours and see how they feel about parasitic insects then.

Again, I don't see the relevance, clearly this is a publicity opportunity but it would be more insane for PETA not to use it. It's not like they're organising demonstrations or anything, they made a statement and sent a humane bug-catcher.

Oromi (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oromi (Ancient) » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Non Aligned States wrote:

Shoot themselves probably. In their minds the tiger is going to get hungry eventually. Why make it work for a meal?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

True, but from a purely tactical standpoint, it would seem to me that the only thing this could generate is ridicule and negative press, and in recent months it seems that all they do is incur these things...

If they want to really succeed at their stated goal, stick to Corporate Farms, etc.....not Flies and Sea Kittens, its just not sane...

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:32 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Megaloria wrote:What they are for and what they claim to be for are often not exactly identical. This is PETA looking for some cheap pop and airtime. Even if it makes them seem even MORE ridiculous than they already are, it sticks their name out there and stirs up their own confused and delusional fanbase. I'd love to see them talk about not swatting blackflies here in New Brunswick. Or not killing mosquitoes in Ontario during breeding season. Let's put them out there in their gym shorts for a few hours and see how they feel about parasitic insects then.

Again, I don't see the relevance, clearly this is a publicity opportunity but it would be more insane for PETA not to use it. It's not like they're organising demonstrations or anything, they made a statement and sent a humane bug-catcher.

-_______________________________________________________________- = my view on "humane fly catchers"
End the Modigarchy now.

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Want to know the best way to get rid of flies? Not fancy humane fly chatchers, the good ol',

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Lizardiar wrote:Want to know the best way to get rid of flies? Not fancy humane fly chatchers, the good ol',

Wrong.

This is best.
Last edited by Yootopia on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End the Modigarchy now.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:37 pm

Oromi wrote:Shoot themselves probably. In their minds the tiger is going to get hungry eventually. Why make it work for a meal?

:) - that's a nice answer in terms of thinking, not necessarily as a solution but as a non-obvious answer.

Regardless of some of PETA's more hypocritical actions, I don't think too many people see the videos they do, most people would rather ignore the issues as they chow down on their hamburger or chicken filet, avoid anything that actually makes them think about how that food gets to them.

I think a film called Food is coming out shortly, I'm sure people will sneer about the rights of animals but the simple fact is that the way we treat them borders on disgusting, and, if nothing else, it creates health risks for humans if that's the line one wants to take - that only humans are important.

Although I might disagree with some of PETA's actions, the overall thinking behind their cause is fine by me, and I quite enjoyed the 'I'd rather go naked than wear fur' campaign.

Lizardiar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Lizardiar wrote:Want to know the best way to get rid of flies? Not fancy humane fly chatchers, the good ol',

Wrong.

This is best.

Not this?

Megaloria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Megaloria » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm not sure you can actually humanely dispose of a fly. It certainly won't appreciate the situation, and will likely just buzz right back to where it was buzzing before it was humanely caught.

For a twist, let's entertain the paranoid angle. The fly was an electronically-enhanced spy/assassin fly which was created by military contractors trying to kill Obama and push forward the start of the next war. They are in league with PETA as a form of terrorist training liaison built around vandalism and arson through its satellite fanatic groups. The plan would have worked, if Barack Obama weren't secretly a ninja terminator.
Here's to the losers, bless them all.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General