NATION

PASSWORD

IIWiki - Premier Encyclopedia for the Roleplaying Forums

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dreamplanet
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreamplanet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Santheres wrote:
Dreamplanet wrote:It would be nice if the IIWiki was able to put up the old wikipedia-based skin because my pages look pretty ugly in comparison to how they used to in the old wiki and i feel that the new skin is too cluttered as it's unnecessarily larger and it looks like the contrast was turned up.

Also i think that the old wiki should be up for a bit longer to find away to port over older articles that weren't archived on the wayback machine, i don't think it's right if this data is just simply lost.

We'll consider the skin update.

Keeping both sites up nearly doubled costs, so you will excuse me if I prioritize affordability for myself over data recovery in the long term. There was plenty of time to migrate what was needed/wanted.

Please do.

I understand that although I do wish that the site was up for atleast one more day to have enough time to archive web pages and sources to the wayback machine.
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet

Dreamplanet: We're 14 years behind!

Campionato Esportiva 24 Runners-Up
WorldVision FactbookNational Team Factbook

Fakolana
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fakolana » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Dreamplanet wrote:It would be nice if the IIWiki was able to put up the old wikipedia-based skin because my pages look pretty ugly in comparison to how they used to in the old wiki and i feel that the new skin is too cluttered as it's unnecessarily larger and it looks like the contrast was turned up.

While we're not looking at adding more skins, as Timeless offers dynamic features that other default skins do not, I am open to modifying the CSS to make the site look better and be more usable on a variety of platforms.

As of today, the highly requested one-sidebar design has been implemented, which should considerably help with the clutter issue. This should also help keep page options in a more consistent location. Smaller resolutions will still see the top navbar design, and even smaller ones the hamburger menu (such as for mobile).

Speaking of, we have also (hopefully) fixed the mobile issue where certain infoboxes would have their text cut off at small resolutions. Not entirely verified, but the issue doesn't seem to show up anymore in my testing.
Account is no longer used. New account is Nauvite Deseret.

Dreamplanet
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dreamplanet » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:52 am

Fakolana wrote:

While we're not looking at adding more skins, as Timeless offers dynamic features that other default skins do not, I am open to modifying the CSS to make the site look better and be more usable on a variety of platforms.

As of today, the highly requested one-sidebar design has been implemented, which should considerably help with the clutter issue. This should also help keep page options in a more consistent location. Smaller resolutions will still see the top navbar design, and even smaller ones the hamburger menu (such as for mobile).

Speaking of, we have also (hopefully) fixed the mobile issue where certain infoboxes would have their text cut off at small resolutions. Not entirely verified, but the issue doesn't seem to show up anymore in my testing.

While i do think the Timeless skin does look very good, it's just not an all-rounded skin, it makes pages look oversaturated and bloated due to the large size of the skin, you can compare it with a page i have just finished and the page i based it on and for what i'm trying to do the Vector skin looks better, i'm not saying to ditch the Timeless skin and make Vector the default, i think both should be an option in preferences.
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet

Fakolana
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Fakolana » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 am

Dreamplanet wrote:While i do think the Timeless skin does look very good, it's just not an all-rounded skin, it makes pages look oversaturated and bloated due to the large size of the skin, you can compare it with a page i have just finished and the page i based it on and for what i'm trying to do the Vector skin looks better, i'm not saying to ditch the Timeless skin and make Vector the default, i think both should be an option in preferences.

The light borders can be fixed, and I've already done so for infoboxes and tables to help with the contrast. We would rather focus on adjusting one versatile skin to give IIWiki a unified look, rather than having to adjust a few or all of the default skins.

I am definitely open to adjusting Timeless to improve usability, such as with the contrast. If there's other areas you believe need adjustment, just let me know and I'll try to make it work with the skin.
Last edited by Fakolana on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamplanet
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dreamplanet » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Fakolana wrote:
Dreamplanet wrote:While i do think the Timeless skin does look very good, it's just not an all-rounded skin, it makes pages look oversaturated and bloated due to the large size of the skin, you can compare it with a page i have just finished and the page i based it on and for what i'm trying to do the Vector skin looks better, i'm not saying to ditch the Timeless skin and make Vector the default, i think both should be an option in preferences.

The light borders can be fixed, and I've already done so for infoboxes and tables to help with the contrast. We would rather focus on adjusting one versatile skin to give IIWiki a unified look, rather than having to adjust a few or all of the default skins.

I am definitely open to adjusting Timeless to improve usability, such as with the contrast. If there's other areas you believe need adjustment, just let me know and I'll try to make it work with the skin.

Personally, i think the timeless skin sandwiches the content as a result of having an overly large side-bar, there is still some work to be done on the contrasting side of things and even little cosmetic details like borders on flags (for example) still get cut off which is more visible in flags with a white background instead of just being one solid colour border that surrounds the entirely of the picture.

I understand that working on multiple skins would be tiresome but i still think that the vector skin should be a feature or the timeless skin should resemble vector a bit more, fixing the contrast and the large size of tables would be a good start.
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet
Dreamplanet

Minoa
Senator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:42 pm

We would recommend removing the wordmark when the logo is shown (when the viewing area is at least 1100px wide). We have a CSS rule for removing the text logo.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Fakolana
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Fakolana » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Minoa wrote:We would recommend removing the wordmark when the logo is shown (when the viewing area is at least 1100px wide). We have a CSS rule for removing the text logo.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at implementing it in the next few days. Do you have a suggestion on how to re-center the search bar and user account?

Minoa
Senator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am

Fakolana wrote:
Minoa wrote:We would recommend removing the wordmark when the logo is shown (when the viewing area is at least 1100px wide). We have a CSS rule for removing the text logo.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at implementing it in the next few days. Do you have a suggestion on how to re-center the search bar and user account?

Unfortunately, not yet, although there is an active Phabricator task.

Timeless is actually a public beta theme that is currently being improved, and is not yet the default for the Wikimedia projects. We used to clone the master of the theme’s repository, but due to the change in the core, the latest versions require MediaWiki 1.34, which is deployed on the Wikimedia projects only.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Finium
Senator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 am

Are there any rules against spam on iiwiki?
Christian, Humanist

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents