NATION

PASSWORD

Any Buffy, Angel, or Firefly Fans?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Fresley
Attaché

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Any Buffy, Angel, or Firefly Fans?

Postby Fresley » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:40 pm

I Just want to see how many there are. I'd like to start a region based around this, or join one that already focuses on these great fandoms/universes.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Fresley wrote:I Just want to see how many there are. I'd like to start a region based around this, or join one that already focuses on these great fandoms/universes.

I've watched all of all three shows. Not a big fan of Angel over all, but I find Buffy the Vampire Slayer interesting and I quite like most of Firefly.

However, this should be in Arts and Fiction.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Belongs in A&F. That said, Firefly is fucking amazing, and I've been meaning to watch Buffy for a while now.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:06 pm

How do I go about re-posting this topic in Arts and Fiction?

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:Belongs in A&F. That said, Firefly is fucking amazing, and I've been meaning to watch Buffy for a while now.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an odd show and the quality varies enormously. That said, it has some fine actors and when its at its best its incredible, one of the most moving and funny shows I've ever seen.

My advice: watch it in order. Its not strictly necessary, of course, but this is a show with a lot of build up and references to previous events.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Like Season 5, simultaneously one of worst and best seasons of the show for various reasons.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Fresley wrote:Like Season 5, simultaneously one of worst and best seasons of the show for various reasons.

Season five has the widest range in quality, I think. On the one hand, there's "Buffy vs. Dracula" and "Into the Woods" (complete shit). But on the other hand, there's "The Body" and "The Gift" (a few issues notwithstanding, largely gold).

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Thank you. To come at it another way, season 2, worst (Angelus) best (also Angelus)

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Meridiani Planum » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:05 am

I like all of the seasons of Buffy. There were perhaps one or two episodes in season five that fell flat for me, but generally the season was very good, and I don't rate it as a "bad" season.

I enjoyed Firefly, but was not as much of a fan of this as with Buffy. My impression may have improved had there been more episodes.

I didn't care much for Angel, but I didn't watch much of it either.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:20 am

Angel doesn't get enough credit. There are some excellent characters. It's got gut-wrenching tragedy (see my Nation's factbooks) But it also has moments where you can literally cheer.

Plus, when they crossover with Buffy (same universe and all) It's awesome.

Some episodes to consider:
I Will Remember You
Through the Looking Glass
Billy
Soulless
A Hole in the World/Shells
Not Fade Away

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:03 am

Season one of Angel was the best one. Though their were some interesting things later on, including some crossovers with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And there was that hilarious episode with the puppets. :lol:

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:08 am

Smile Time certainly is great.

Puppet Angel ('nuff said)

Werewolf hitting on Angel

And Fred and Wesley bonding and getting together.

Dead Names
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dead Names » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:54 pm

I've seen all of Firefly and Buffy and I'm actually in the middle of watching Angel right now. I like most things Whedon does. Are you also a fan of Dollhouse?

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 pm

I never really got into Dollhouse, is it worth a watch through?

Dead Names
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dead Names » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Fresley wrote:I never really got into Dollhouse, is it worth a watch through?

Only saw the first few episodes. Its on the queue but I have a bunch of other shows I'd like to watch before that one. If you're a big Whedon fan you would probably enjoy it.

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:27 pm

I'm a half-way Whedon fan. I love the universe he created in Buffy/Angel. But I hate what he does to my favorite characters.

Giles
Jenny Calendar

Wesley
Fred Burkle

And Oz in Willow's story, guy gets crushed.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:47 am

Fresley wrote:I'm a half-way Whedon fan. I love the universe he created in Buffy/Angel. But I hate what he does to my favorite characters.

Giles
Jenny Calendar

Wesley
Fred Burkle

And Oz in Willow's story, guy gets crushed.

Whedon's work tends to have a high mortality rate. I don't mind when its well done/makes sense, but sometimes the tragedy seems gratuitous.

The one that got to me the most, though, was
Buffy's mother
. I mean, "The Body" was a brilliant episode, but it was hard to watch.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:50 am

Gratuitous tragedy, yeah that sounds right. Season 5 of Angel is all about this. You're spot on with Joyce.

There's one episode that constantly gets overlooked "the Girl in Question"

I mean the main story involves Angel going to try and find Buffy and deal with his feeling for her. But the tragedy shows up back in L. A. when Fred's parents show up and Wesley is faced with the agonizing prospect of telling them that their daughter is dead. But they never find out.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:17 am

You might be interested to know that, at least according to Wikipedia,
Fred sort of got resurrected
in the Angel and Faith comics (in a roundabout way).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illyria_(Angel)

"Later, in the Angel and Faith book, Angel encounters Fred walking the streets of London. They surmise the recreated Seed attempted to bring Illyria back, and in the event, also brought back Fred. Now both Fred and Illyria are alive and cohabit Fred's body."

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:25 am

Yeah, I read about that. Still doesn't help with what happened to Wesley. As my own personal headcanon. I'll take Angel at his word in "After the Fall" where he hopes Wesley and Fred are together somewhere.

I don't buy that Knox and Dr. Sparrow know all there is to know about Old Ones.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:07 am

Fresley wrote:Yeah, I read about that. Still doesn't help with what happened to Wesley. As my own personal headcanon. I'll take Angel at his word in "After the Fall" where he hopes Wesley and Fred are together somewhere.

I don't buy that Knox and Dr. Sparrow know all there is to know about Old Ones.

As far as I know, poor Wesley is still dead and in service to Wolfram and Hart (the same way that they still had Lila and Manners working for them after death). So I think its for the best that Fred isn't in the same place as him, and I think that's the way Wesley would want it.

I wouldn't be really surprised if he comes back though. On the other hand, maybe its best that some people stay dead. Kind of gets ridiculous if everyone comes back. I just wish Wesley got a better end than Senior Partners' captive for eternity.

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:15 am

I took it for granted that his contract ended when L. A. was sent back to earth. The big reset. Basically, this story slots into what I think happened.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/6272155/1/

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:20 am

Fresley wrote:I took it for granted that his contract ended when L. A. was sent back to earth. The big reset. Basically, this story slots into what I think happened.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/6272155/1/

Why would it? Manners and Lila were still in service to Wolfram and Hart. Seems to be a price of a Wolfram and Hart contract. Though you'd think that Wesley and Angel would have checked the fine print for that before signing on.

Fresley
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Fresley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:49 am

It's also possible that they never did sign a contract as per Lilah. That Wolfram & Hart, being evil, grabbed Wesley's spirit from where it was supposed to be. I can't imagine that he would sign one with a perpetuity clause after seeing what happened with Lilah. Although, Angel's mind-wipe for Connor might have gotten rid of those experiences, so maybe he did. The mind-wipe happened after he tried to burn Lilah's contract. So maybe he didn't know.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Firefly is amazing.

Buffy is pretty good from the few episodes I have seen

Never heard of Angel
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Next