NATION

PASSWORD

Three Judges Must Be From Quebec

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Dazchan wrote:According to the OP, 25% of Canadians are from Quebec.

9 x 0.25 = 2.25

As we can't take a quarter of a judge without unpleasant consequences, we have to take a whole judge. That makes three judges.

It's hardly a "special privilege" if the numbers work out.

This wasn't in reply to anyone. That makes it fair game for mine.

IF at some time in the future the rest of the country increases in population to make Quebec less than 2/9ths of the national population (22.22..%), "we can't take a quarter of a judge" is no longer a good reason.

Cuckoobaloo
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cuckoobaloo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm not from Canada so I don't know how much weight my opinion has, buuut... I happen to love Canada. It's a generally beautiful country with generally nice people, especially compared to the general American population (try going to New York City and NOT getting yelled at for something stupid).

If less than 25% of the population is from Quebec, and the law requires that three of the judges must be from Quebec, that seems a bit odd. I can see one Quebec judge, but not three. That'd be like saying smaller US states deserve more Representatives than larger states like California and Texas.
The Floating Island Kingdom of Cuckoobaloo
The Right Hand Watches What The Left Hand Does

"You don't become mad, you accept the madness. Insanity is not thrust upon you, you welcome it. First there is the mist, then you enter its embrace, then you become the mist. And when your mind breaks apart, you finally come together." - High Priest Gregory Oxpot Antlernose

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Cuckoobaloo wrote:I'm not from Canada so I don't know how much weight my opinion has, buuut... I happen to love Canada. It's a generally beautiful country with generally nice people, especially compared to the general American population (try going to New York City and NOT getting yelled at for something stupid).

If less than 25% of the population is from Quebec, and the law requires that three of the judges must be from Quebec, that seems a bit odd. I can see one Quebec judge, but not three. That'd be like saying smaller US states deserve more Representatives than larger states like California and Texas.

its favouritism of Quebec; Canada is afraid they will secede

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:33 pm

The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
Two parts of the same argument, actually. You may have noticed that my rationale for rounding up has consistently been to make sure that Quebec is fully represented. My rationale for Quebec being represented is that they have different laws to the rest of Canada.

OVER-represented. You say "fully represented" but it is deliberately erring on the side of over-representation.

Their full representation is 2.12 judges. The only way to achieve this is to allocate 3 judges. So yes, it is both full representation and over representation.

The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse wrote:OK, there's a reason for that (the different legal system, and some deal done to pacify Quebec), but you have not answered my hypothetical. If the population of Quebec grows more slowly (as it is) and falls below 22.22% ... what reasoning would you have to "round it up" to 3 judges? When it actually rounds up to 2?

That argument you made for erring on the side of over-representation, to avoid any under-representation, would no longer hold up would it?

Dazchan wrote:If you expect me to argue against a line of reasoning that I've been making for three pages, you're in for disappointment.
Last edited by Dazchan on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Dazchan wrote:According to the OP, 25% of Canadians are from Quebec.

9 x 0.25 = 2.25

As we can't take a quarter of a judge without unpleasant consequences, we have to take a whole judge. That makes three judges.

It's hardly a "special privilege" if the numbers work out.

IF at some time in the future the rest of the country increases in population to make Quebec less than 2/9ths of the national population (22.22..%), "we can't take a quarter of a judge" is no longer a good reason.

You appear to be obsessed with asking me the same question over and over again.

Have I ever, at any point, indicated that if Quebec's population was less than 2/9, that they should get more than 2/9?
Last edited by Dazchan on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Dazchan wrote:

Have I ever, at any point, indicated that if Quebec's population was less than 2/9, that they should get more than 2/9?

The act is problematic though because the language of the law says that it is always ''at least three judges.''

Its frozen in time.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:39 pm

The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse wrote:OK, there's a reason for that (the different legal system, and some deal done to pacify Quebec), but you have not answered my hypothetical. If the population of Quebec grows more slowly (as it is) and falls below 22.22% ... what reasoning would you have to "round it up" to 3 judges? When it actually rounds up to 2?

That argument you made for erring on the side of over-representation, to avoid any under-representation, would no longer hold up would it?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:42 pm

this is a good point

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Dazchan wrote:

The act is problematic though because the language of the law says that it is always ''at least three judges.''

Its frozen in time.

I've found some old Census figures. 1974 (estimates) when the requirement was introduced, and 1971 which was the most recent Census before that.

http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/statistiques ... 1-20xx.htm

Quebec 1974: 6,213,149

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/98-187-x/4151287-eng.htm

Canada 1974: 22,491,757

27.6%

Quebec 1971: 6,137,305
Canada 1971: 21,961,999

27.9%

Considering how long ago that was, it hasn't really changed much. Whatever injustice is here, Canadians have lived with it for 40 years ...

2013 (estimates) give 23.2% of the population in Quebec. At that rate it will be 10 years before the 2/9th point is reached.

Joelyria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Joelyria » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Instead of dividing the seats of the Canadian Suprme Court by provinces, they should divide it by the languages group of the country, with three of the nine seats reserved for francophones regardless of which province they are from. The judiciary like the other branches of government should represent the demographics of the country but I don't think distributing the seats in the country's highest court by subnational entities is the best way to go as it could distort the true representation of the nation as a whole. Although that's just my opinion at the end of the day. As I'm not Canadian, I don't know what's best for that country.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Joelyria wrote:Instead of dividing the seats of the Canadian Suprme Court by provinces, they should divide it by the languages group of the country, with three of the nine seats reserved for francophones regardless of which province they are from. The judiciary like the other branches of government should represent the demographics of the country but I don't think distributing the seats in the country's highest court by subnational entities is the best way to go as it could distort the true representation of the nation as a whole. Although that's just my opinion at the end of the day. As I'm not Canadian, I don't know what's best for that country.

I'm not Canadian either. But I think this system is arranged by province because candidates to become SC judges are supposed to have previous experience either as a judge or on the bar, in federal or provincial courts.

Judges and lawyers from Quebec courts (federal or provincial) would understanding their civil law system better.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Dazchan wrote:

You haven't said one way or the other. I keep asking you the same question because you keep replying to me without answering it.

If Quebec's population falls under 2/9 of the Canadian total, should Quebec still get 3 justices?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General