NATION

PASSWORD

Australia Welfare- Riot Police removing children at gunpoint

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:40 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:That doesn't explain why not one but several units of police were present when the removal was being carried out. There's still a lot that we aren't being told by either side.

The onus is on the police, when challenged, to establish that their use of force was proportionate to the situation.

Any other approach amounts to victim-blaming.

Saint Jade IV wrote:The police are the ones that need to explain why they removed the children, and why they did so in such a violent manner. The longer they remain silent, the more likely that this will become another example of police injustice.

I don't disagree.
Yes.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 am

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
What colonial power did not actively abuse indigenous populations?

The difference is that most colonial powers go to other countries to abuse indigenous populations, Americans and Australians, if I am understanding his argument correctly, do so at home.

Look throughout Latin America and you'll see the same thing still going. Wherever there's a settler and native population, no matter what the political status of the country, the settler/native mindset tends to persist for a very long time.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:16 am

Saint Jade IV wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
I concur.

You might want to check your sarcasm meter.
Forster Keys wrote:
Saint Jade (I believe and hope) was using a cunning little device called sarcasm. But I'd like to know where you took objection with my statement.

This. I was parodying the response of most Australians when informed that their racist humour is in fact, racist and offensive.

Forster Keys wrote:
Yeah nah too right mate. A really Aussie knows how to laugh at himself. All those newcomers need to learn a thing or two.

A real member of Team Australia knows, that when people perpetuate acidic and harmful attitudes to a certain sector of society it's just a harmless part of casual conversation, and doesn't represent a quiet yet vicious streak of racism that still runs within the community.

Yeah, we're Aussies. We drink beer, watch football, and eat meat pies. Fit in or Fuck off. But we're not racist. I went to Japan once, and this one guy called me a gaijin once. Do you see me getting all offended and shit? I mean, that one experience where I experienced minor ethnocentrism clearly enables me to grasp the emotionally draining experience of exposure to casual racism day in day out. Plus, I don't reckon its all about racism, and I'm not really going to listen to you recount all the evidence that shows that the negative experiences you've had are in fact, racist as fuck, because that would make me have to think, and the fucking footy's on, maaaaaaaaaaaaate.

i lol'd.

not.

this is hypersensibility at its best worst. if you can't laugh at yourself from time to time then you think too much of yourself. i personally do not take offence when a joke about me is made, even regarding my sex/religion/race/nationality especially if i find it genuinely funny ( which i can ) . i understand not everyone feels the same but it shouldn't be a "your rights end where my feelings begin" issue assuming the statements aren't seriously offensive or violence-inciting.

so yes in this case the measure taken by the mods i feel was excessive.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:24 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
this is hypersensibility at its best worst. if you can't laugh at yourself from time to time then you think too much of yourself. i personally do not take offence when a joke about me is made, even regarding my sex/religion/race/nationality especially if i find it genuinely funny ( which i can ) .

Forgive me, but when I have friends and relatives who are abused and belittled like this every day, I think it's a fucking serious issue that needs to be addressed. You go around with people looking down at you, calling you a black cunt, making jokes about petrol sniffing and boomerangs every day of your life and see if you laugh.

i understand not everyone feels the same but it shouldn't be a "your rights end where my feelings begin" issue assuming the statements aren't seriously offensive or violence-inciting.

Have we locked anyone up? Nope. Freedom of speech does not freedom from criticism.

This is not about the mod ruling. It's about what he said.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:41 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:

This. I was parodying the response of most Australians when informed that their racist humour is in fact, racist and offensive.

Yeah, we're Aussies. We drink beer, watch football, and eat meat pies. Fit in or Fuck off. But we're not racist. I went to Japan once, and this one guy called me a gaijin once. Do you see me getting all offended and shit? I mean, that one experience where I experienced minor ethnocentrism clearly enables me to grasp the emotionally draining experience of exposure to casual racism day in day out. Plus, I don't reckon its all about racism, and I'm not really going to listen to you recount all the evidence that shows that the negative experiences you've had are in fact, racist as fuck, because that would make me have to think, and the fucking footy's on, maaaaaaaaaaaaate.

i lol'd.

not.

this is hypersensibility at its best worst. if you can't laugh at yourself from time to time then you think too much of yourself. i personally do not take offence when a joke about me is made, even regarding my sex/religion/race/nationality especially if i find it genuinely funny ( which i can ) . i understand not everyone feels the same but it shouldn't be a "your rights end where my feelings begin" issue assuming the statements aren't seriously offensive or violence-inciting.

Here's the problem. Most white people, we personally don't make racist jokes that often. We don't hear our friends make racist jokes that often. Some of us, like you, then extrapolate that experience to assume that the only racist "jokes" your black mate hears are the ones you and your friends tell around them. You also don't see the subtle racism that they experience every fucking day that shows them that the attitudes expressed in these "jokes" are the ugly truth of Australian "humour". Then, when your friend, thinking he's your friend, and not your token "I have a black friend so I can say racist shit and get away with it" card, asks you to knock it the fuck off, thinking that he's entitled to the same respect he gives you every day, you know, because he mistakenly thinks you are equals, you call him "hypersensitive", and tell him to have a cup of concrete.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:so yes in this case the measure taken by the mods i feel was excessive.

Whoop di fucking doo. I don't really care about the mod ruling. It's interesting though, that you seem to have taken this to heart in your defence of the poor widdle wacist, who got banned for saying mean things. All the while trying to impress on us how not racist you are.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:

i lol'd.

not.

Hypersensibility, there's an interesting word.

Look, if you find this funny then your sense of humour frankly sucks. I understand people like to consider humour to be subjective and whatnot, and that's good, but really doesn't go as far to say that everything should be regarded as being possibly funny. This isn't possibly funny. This is a tired and well worn racial slur that's been used in many contexts in varying different forms, but at it's core the meaning doesn't change. And that meaning is simply "that natives are fucking stupid". I don't get it, where's the joke in that? What could possibly be humourous about that? If you find that funny then you have my pity quite frankly, because obviously it means the development of your sense of humour is stunted and probably has been for decades. I can't possibly imagine anybody being able to hear the same joke over and over again and possibly think that it's funny, but I rest my case.

And the whole "well I don't take offence to jokes about me" is really fucking rich, as if you've ever been in a position where those "jokes" actually kept you out of jobs, clubs, opportunities or, just to be blunt, from having the life which you probably want. You might think that it's just a "joke" (although frankly I can't see how you would think that could be a good joke) and that you aren't hurting anyone, but the reality is that you are by perpetuating stereotypes that keep minority groups isolated from the majority and make them feel uncomfortable in their own society. Really, you should actually try reading about how these "jokes" continue to affect people, and maybe then you can use your hopefully-existent capacity for reasonable thought to determine whether we should actually tolerate people spewing this pathetically stupid shit rather than putting them back in their box where they belong.

But, let's be honest. Quintium wasn't joking. He has a well documented dislike of minority groups and I wholeheartedly believe that he truly meant what he wrote, even though literally all of what he said was wrong.

I'd like to finish off with a hypothetical practical assignment. Imagine I said that American are stupid, fat fucks. Laugh at yourself for me.
Yes.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:58 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
i lol'd.

not.

Hypersensibility, there's an interesting word.

Look, if you find this funny then your sense of humour frankly sucks. I understand people like to consider humour to be subjective and whatnot, and that's good, but really doesn't go as far to say that everything should be regarded as being possibly funny. This isn't possibly funny. This is a tired and well worn racial slur that's been used in many contexts in varying different forms, but at it's core the meaning doesn't change. And that meaning is simply "that natives are fucking stupid". I don't get it, where's the joke in that? What could possibly be humourous about that? If you find that funny then you have my pity quite frankly, because obviously it means the development of your sense of humour is stunted and probably has been for decades. I can't possibly imagine anybody being able to hear the same joke over and over again and possibly think that it's funny, but I rest my case.

And the whole "well I don't take offence to jokes about me" is really fucking rich, as if you've ever been in a position where those "jokes" actually kept you out of jobs, clubs, opportunities or, just to be blunt, from having the life which you probably want. You might think that it's just a "joke" (although frankly I can't see how you would think that could be a good joke) and that you aren't hurting anyone, but the reality is that you are by perpetuating stereotypes that keep minority groups isolated from the majority and make them feel uncomfortable in their own society. Really, you should actually try reading about how these "jokes" continue to affect people, and maybe then you can use your hopefully-existent capacity for reasonable thought to determine whether we should actually tolerate people spewing this pathetically stupid shit rather than putting them back in their box where they belong.

But, let's be honest. Quintium wasn't joking. He has a well documented dislike of minority groups and I wholeheartedly believe that he truly meant what he wrote, even though literally all of what he said was wrong.

I'd like to finish off with a hypothetical practical assignment. Imagine I said that American are stupid, fat fucks. Laugh at yourself for me.

I can't because it isn't funny.

What’s the difference between the US and yogurt?

If you leave yogurt alone for 300 years, it develops a culture.

:lol: now that is.

or

If someone who speaks two languages is bilingual, and someone who speaks many languages is multilingual, then what do you call someone who speaks one language?

An American.

I'm sick of people saying America is the "stupidest country in the world"
Personally, I think Europe is the stupidest country in the world.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:00 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:Hypersensibility, there's an interesting word.

Holy shit, we got through to him.
Yes.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:08 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Holy shit, we got through to him.

no , you didn't.

"aboriginals are fucking stupid subhuman pieces of shit who drink petrol and sleep in the road" i wouldn't have laughed at that either.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:11 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:Holy shit, we got through to him.

no , you didn't.

"aboriginals are fucking stupid subhuman pieces of shit who drink petrol and sleep in the road" i wouldn't have laughed at that either.

And you didn't read between the lines of what Quintium wrote to read exactly that? What do you think he was trying to imply? What do you think the joke was actually about?
Yes.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:12 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

no , you didn't.

"They drink petrol and all they invented was a stick."

LOOOOOOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's certainly humour! My sides'll be aching for hours!

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:12 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

no , you didn't.

That's not what you said the first time around.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:15 am

Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
no , you didn't.

That's not what you said the first time around.

orly? do you even know what he said?

Quintium wrote:
Why? Aboriginals are famous for spending tens of thousands of years on a beautiful, warm, fertile continent, burning nearly all the forests down and inventing the stick.
And now, there are literally ads running to tell Aboriginals not to drink petrol or sleep in the road.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:18 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
no , you didn't.

And you didn't read between the lines of what Quintium wrote to read exactly that? What do you think he was trying to imply? What do you think the joke was actually about?

idk. i guess i subconsciously hoped it was just edgy banter.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:22 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Of course I do. It's in the post I linked. And it's no different from "aboriginals are fucking stupid subhuman pieces of shit who drink petrol and sleep in the road".

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:And you didn't read between the lines of what Quintium wrote to read exactly that? What do you think he was trying to imply? What do you think the joke was actually about?

How would that make it funny?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 am

Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Of course I do. It's in the post I linked. And it's no different from "aboriginals are fucking stupid subhuman pieces of shit who drink petrol and sleep in the road".

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

asian dad meme wouldn't really be funny if creators actually believed it. or it would be that much funnier because now you're not just laughing at the meme but also the people behind it.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:31 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Of course I do. It's in the post I linked. And it's no different from "aboriginals are fucking stupid subhuman pieces of shit who drink petrol and sleep in the road".

asian dad meme wouldn't really be funny if creators actually believed it. or it would be that much funnier because now you're not just laughing at the meme but also the people behind it.

So racism is just always funny and should never be taken seriously?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:58 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Of course I do. It's in the post I linked. And it's no different from "aboriginals are fucking stupid subhuman pieces of shit who drink petrol and sleep in the road".

Asian parents pressure their kids, black guys play basketball, white girls drink at starbucks; these might be racially based stereotypes, but they are not even close to the caliber of all abos drink petrol and throw sticks. Pressuring your children, playing basketball and buying coffee from starbucks are quite unlikely to keep you out of a job or provoke people into thinking you're devoid of any civilization whatsoever, just in case you weren't aware of the difference.
Last edited by Keyboard Warriors on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:43 am

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
What colonial power did not actively abuse indigenous populations?

The difference is that most colonial powers go to other countries to abuse indigenous populations, Americans and Australians, if I am understanding his argument correctly, do so at home.

It was more "Even in the modern age, Australia is proactively dickish to it's natives" but you were sort of close.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General