NATION

PASSWORD

Brown, Cameron, Clegg, Other?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Frankie Boyle wrote:Nick Clegg, who is he? When he told his mother he was coming over for tea, she looked him up on Wikipedia.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Ozymos wrote:If I was taking bets at this point, my best estimate (A Level Politics student re-emerging here) would be either a very close Labour win, or a Labour-Lib Dem coalition.

If Labour want to win big, they need a shake up in the ranks. Brown and Darling have got to go, for starters.

And i'm not ashamed to say this; needs moar Blair ;)

At this moment, Tory win. It has been looking that way for a good long while, I think. At least since the beginning of this year. It is madnes, one which I hate, but this next election will be a Tory one, I'm afraid.

Darling is terrible. Brown is just upstaged. He's not as good a leader as we need.

Blair was fantastic - until it turned out that he lied over the WMDs and, recently, showed that he would have told whatever tall tale he could have to get the British public on his side to pursue Bush's American Adventure. I can't honestly believe he had the balls to say that, which is probably fair play to him.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Ozymos
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Tagmatium wrote:Blair was fantastic - until it turned out that he lied over the WMDs and, recently, showed that he would have told whatever tall tale he could have to get the British public on his side to pursue Bush's American Adventure. I can't honestly believe he had the balls to say that, which is probably fair play to him.

I can honestly say I don't really give a monkeys that he lied. When you consider what he did for this country in comparison to his predeccessors and his successors claims to fame, the small lie to remove a sadistic murderer from power isn't exactly taboo of the century in my books.
"Through adversity, to the stars!"
The Intersystems Alliance
Liu Xiu | Excalibur Squadron

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:01 pm

I honestly doubt I'm going to vote.

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 pm

OMRLP all the way, baby!

Seriously, though, I'm not british; if I was, I would vote for Clegg.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Ozymos wrote:I can honestly say I don't really give a monkeys that he lied. When you consider what he did for this country in comparison to his predeccessors and his successors claims to fame, the small lie to remove a sadistic murderer from power isn't exactly taboo of the century in my books.

I don't deny that what he did before then was good - it was brilliant. Minimum wage, amongst other things...

But that will be his epitaph, whether you like it or not. Blair will be remembered for the events surrounding the invasion of Iraq, even though we both know that he did a lot of good for this country.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

Ozymos
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Tagmatium wrote:I don't deny that what he did before then was good - it was brilliant. Minimum wage, amongst other things...

But that will be his epitaph, whether you like it or not. Blair will be remembered for the events surrounding the invasion of Iraq, even though we both know that he did a lot of good for this country.

Indeed he will. Which is really sad thing. He brings about peace in Northern Ireland and Iraq ends up on his headstone.
"Through adversity, to the stars!"
The Intersystems Alliance
Liu Xiu | Excalibur Squadron

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Ozymos wrote:Indeed he will. Which is really sad thing. He brings about peace in Northern Ireland and Iraq ends up on his headstone.

Let's not forget stopping the shit in the Balkans as well.

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Northampton North and it all depends on the election run up and if labour plays the class card
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:19 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:The constituency in which I live has been very safely Tory even during the heyday of New Labour.

I won't be voting. The Tories will win by many thousands. What's the point? At least if we had Proportional Representation my vote might actually have a faint chance of helping a candidate from a party I like get in.

If we had PR the Limp Dims would hold British politics to ransom.

Anyways, my prediction, unfortunately, is for there to be a Lab-Lib Coalition for PR and Keeping Out The Tories, to be replaced in 2015 by the Lab-Lib Eternal Coalition for Keeping Out The Tories.
Last edited by Angleter on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Bostopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Bostopia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:35 am

Coventry North-East; Bob Ainsworth MP (Labour, Secretary of State for Defence). 14,222 majority according to http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/bob_ainsworth/coventry_north_east

I'll be voting Conservative. I don't see myself ever having a Conservative MP here, what with the constituency being made up of largely low-income areas, but with him being Minister for Defence I do see that majority being slashed, but only out of apathy from discontent over Iraq & Afghanistan rather than votes being cast elsewhere. What a former trade union leader is supposed to know about waging war I don't know.

Overall, I'm seeing a very very slim Conservative majority. UKIP will win one or two seats (in the south-east/East Anglia most likely) and the Tories will probably have to work with them (hello, referendum on Europe).
Are you a Mertagnian in Bostopia? If so, hand yourself in at the nearest Police Station now and you will be treated with the utmost care and attention.

NSGP: World Drivers Champion x 1 - NSGP 5 - F1 Constructors Champion x 1 NSGP 5
Cup of Harmony 26, 40: Champions
World Cup - Qualified x 20, SFs x 2.

The chrisman union
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The chrisman union » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:25 am

I'm in one of the Milton Keynes constituencies, and I am too young to vote. If I could though I'd vote either Liberal Democrats or labour, as the tories are just toffs who don't give a toss about regular people.
Last edited by The chrisman union on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy
The Allied Nations of the Chrisman Union (ANCU)
Leader: President Christian Veldt
Armed forces: 900,000
Population: 340,000,000
Government type: Liberal Social Democracy
Shebu wrote: 9 out of 10 times when you have a Ak47 pointed at you, you pay attention.

North Defese wrote:If I had a nickle and the head of everyone who called me [Defense], I'd be rich, and thrown in prison for all the mutliated corpses strewn about my house.

Tunizcha wrote:Never get in a staring contest with a cat. Even if you win, you still lose, because you just spent 5 minutes staring at a cat.

Canadai wrote:In Canadai, the vertically impaired are treated as equal citizens, and given ladders by the government.

Niur wrote:Lets all just get brain transplants to shark bodies.
Defcon: 1 2 3 4 [5]

My 3rd Floor Flat
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby My 3rd Floor Flat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 am

The chrisman union wrote:I'm in one of the Milton Keynes constituencies, and I am too young to vote. If I could though I'd vote either Liberal Democrats or labour, as the tories are just toffs who don't give a toss about regular people.

Better a toff who can run the country back into shape than an idiot who gives everyone jobs but drives the country into dirt.

When people vote this coming year, alot of them shall do so with genuinly selfish interests, if they vote labour, it will be so they can keep their jobs at the expense of improving Britain. Those who vote Conservative will either do so because they accept that things have to change, or because they're already rich sods.

And I feel i'm completely capable of making this assessment because I would have voted Labour if they weren't a load of idiots, and that I intend to vote for a party that will initiate cutbacks in the line of work i'm going to go into (teaching) and then more pressingly probably raise university feees (which will hit me now).

But what the hey, for the greater good right...
Nadkor wrote: One of the things you'll notice about the BBC is that it gets accused of bias by everyone.

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Crabulonia wrote:^ Very pleased that 3rd Floor Flat is voting same as I.

3rd floor flat is pretty sharp so you can count yourself lucky.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 am

Bostopia wrote:Coventry North-East; Bob Ainsworth MP (Labour, Secretary of State for Defence). 14,222 majority according to http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/bob_ainsworth/coventry_north_east

I'll be voting Conservative. I don't see myself ever having a Conservative MP here, what with the constituency being made up of largely low-income areas, but with him being Minister for Defence I do see that majority being slashed, but only out of apathy from discontent over Iraq & Afghanistan rather than votes being cast elsewhere. What a former trade union leader is supposed to know about waging war I don't know.

Overall, I'm seeing a very very slim Conservative majority. UKIP will win one or two seats (in the south-east/East Anglia most likely) and the Tories will probably have to work with them (hello, referendum on Europe).

Coventry NE: Minister of Defence.
Milton Keynes NE: Member of TA, served in Afghanistan. (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/mark_lancaster/milton_keynes_north_east)

Sorry Bos.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:52 pm

If the election's while I'm at uni I'll be in Kingston Upon Hull North, and I'll vote for Diana Johnson. Yeah, she's Labour, but at least she's not a Tory.

If I'm at home I'll be in Belfast South and probably won't bother voting. When the choices are between the DUP, UUP, Sinn Fein, SDLP, the Alliance Party (who are virtually non-existent) and the communists I'd rather not bother, thanks.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:04 pm

Forsakia wrote:
Angleter wrote:Solihull is my constituency, and while UKIP is my favourite party, their chances of not coming last are close to nil, so I'll vote Conservative, even though Dave is probably my least favourite Tory leader of all time.

Surely a kipper would hate heath more?

Will be voting Lib Dem.

UKIP by default in that Dave sucks. Normally I'd favour the Tories the most, but they've veered leftwards too far.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:08 pm

The chrisman union wrote:I'm in one of the Milton Keynes constituencies, and I am too young to vote. If I could though I'd vote either Liberal Democrats or labour, as the tories are just toffs who don't give a toss about regular people.

CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! TEH TORY'S IS EBIL TOFFS ONLY CARE 4 TEH RICH OUR LABOUR CARES FOR EVRY1 AND OUR NHS!

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Angleter wrote:

CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! TEH TORY'S IS EBIL TOFFS ONLY CARE 4 TEH RICH OUR LABOUR CARES FOR EVRY1 AND OUR NHS!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how one undertakes civilised political debate :P

My 3rd Floor Flat
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby My 3rd Floor Flat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Tagmatium wrote:
Angleter wrote:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how one undertakes civilised political debate :P

What, you've ner watched Prime Ministers question time before :P
Nadkor wrote: One of the things you'll notice about the BBC is that it gets accused of bias by everyone.

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Crabulonia wrote:^ Very pleased that 3rd Floor Flat is voting same as I.

3rd floor flat is pretty sharp so you can count yourself lucky.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:36 pm

My 3rd Floor Flat wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how one undertakes civilised political debate :P

They ought to use those foam bats and whale on each other. That'd be more interesting.

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Tagmatium wrote:
My 3rd Floor Flat wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how one undertakes civilised political debate :P

They ought to use those foam bats and whale on each other. That'd be more interesting.

I'd prefer a cage fight between Brown and Cameron.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Angleter wrote:

/me notes that Mark Lancaster MP (Con, Milton Keynes NE) has had more input on NHS debates than Dr Phyllis Starkey MP (Lab, Milton Keynes SW) in the 2005-2010 Parliament.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Sel Appa
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2004

Postby Sel Appa » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:10 pm

I'd vote Lib Dem I guess if i were there.
Remembering 21c: A real-life nation simulation!
NationStates General: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
The Turtle Times
Hockey modifier: -5 (in case I forget to post a roster in the future)

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Krytenia wrote:
Angleter wrote:

/me notes that Mark Lancaster MP (Con, Milton Keynes NE) has had more input on NHS debates than Dr Phyllis Starkey MP (Lab, Milton Keynes SW) in the 2005-2010 Parliament.

You realise she has a PhD from Cambridge and is not, in fact, a medical doctor, right?

Right?

Because you're looking incredibly foolish right now.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Forsakia
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:25 pm

Ozymos wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:
Ozymos wrote:Don't be so sure. Whilst I noted in another thread that my view of Gordon Brown is a "gormless tw*t with zero charisma and even less testicles", as Labour he still represents the working classes, who make up the majority of Britain. And with the current recession, and then a quick look back at the last time the Tories were in power, I reckon a significant majority of Britain fancies keeping it's job, and feels it has a better chance with Labour than it does with the Tories.

And yes, you will waste your vote on the Lib Dems. Liberal as I am, the odds of them being a dominant party are somewhat slim.

I suspect Brown knows that his government is a spent force and has been for a while, which is why he's not really been putting much in to it. He wasn't as much of a grey blur under Blair, and the Labour government has been going down for a good long while.

Both my parents are members of the local Labour party and have been active members for as long as I can remember. Under Brown... its petered out. They (the government) are just foundering and have been since mid-way through the Iraq War, since it was found out that they had actually lied about the presence of WMDs.

Brown could have, and would have, won a General if he had called it as soon as he became PM and I doubt that Labour would have looked like quite such a spent force for this period, but they were virtually wasted when they didn't do it.

If I was taking bets at this point, my best estimate (A Level Politics student re-emerging here) would be either a very close Labour win, or a Labour-Lib Dem coalition.

If Labour want to win big, they need a shake up in the ranks. Brown and Darling have got to go, for starters.

And i'm not ashamed to say this; needs moar Blair ;)

As someone who does have bets on, it's going to be a comfortable Tory majority. With a tiny chance of a hung parliament.

The tories are leading the polls comfortably and have been leading them solidly for a long while. Not to mention that in recent history the polls have tended to overstate Labour, so the real situation is likely to be even worse.

Added to that, the marginals polling (partially due to Labour's core vote strategy and Ashcroft marginals strategy and targeted funding) suggests Labour are piling up their votes in safe constituencies while the Tories are doing better with swing voters in swing seats.

It'd take a major game-changer to even get it back to where a hung parliament is even the most likely outcome. It'll very probably be a comfortable Tory majority (probably in the 40-50 range) with the outside possibility that it could be much bigger.
Member of Arch's fan club.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General