NATION

PASSWORD

A Civilized Debate on Religion 2

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe there is an afterlife?

Yes
33%
No
50%
Unsure
17%

Total votes : 132

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 am

I am an atheist who believes in hard determinism and some aspects of absurdism; I reject religion and the concept of free will. I think it is inevitable religious beliefs will evolve as it can be observed in history that they always do - I doubt strongly that religion will "go away" any time within my life time. Whether it's destined to be overrun by new age ideals, watered down versions of Christianity, Islam and others that ignore most of the dogma and emphasize spirituality, or a whole new religion will spread very quickly, I don't know.

There will probably be trends toward worldwide secularization but not as vast as wishful thinking atheists would have.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Siburria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

religion

Postby Siburria » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 am

people used to use religion to explain things they didn't understand. the more advanced we become the less religious we will be.
What a great day.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 am

CTALNH wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Forget the "I don't bite" bit so soon?

As I said bite what?

I am not flaimbating you or trolling you.

I trully believe Jesus did not exist becuase the evidence are overwhelming for that he did not really exist.

Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical ... us_as_myth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on ... thenticity
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 am

CTALNH wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:"Does this unit have a soul?"

"If you mean by free will yes.If you mean a arbitrary construct that religious people threaten to eternal fire if you don't kiss their ass then no."

The concept of free will is nonsensical in a nonreligious context. What, exactly, has free will? Does a neuron have free will? If not, then why should a collection of them have free will? The only possible way for free will to exist is if there is something along the lines of a soul.
piss

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Shaggai wrote:
CTALNH wrote:"If you mean by free will yes.If you mean a arbitrary construct that religious people threaten to eternal fire if you don't kiss their ass then no."

The concept of free will is nonsensical in a nonreligious context. What, exactly, has free will? Does a neuron have free will? If not, then why should a collection of them have free will? The only possible way for free will to exist is if there is something along the lines of a soul.

That's assuming a soul is an entity not bound by causality.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 am

CTALNH wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Forget the "I don't bite" bit so soon?

As I said bite what?

I trully believe Jesus did not exist becuase the evidence are overwhelming for that he did not really exist.

By "bite" I meant that I wouldn't play that game with you. I don't presume trolling. I presume reality. The reality is that it's cute that you think a simple "nu-uh" is truth enough to dissuade a position you disagree with.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:02 am

Shaggai wrote:
CTALNH wrote:"If you mean by free will yes.If you mean a arbitrary construct that religious people threaten to eternal fire if you don't kiss their ass then no."

The concept of free will is nonsensical in a nonreligious context.

It isn't.

What, exactly, has free will? Does a neuron have free will? If not, then why should a collection of them have free will?

That is presupposing a incompatibilist position on Free Will, when there is nothing incompatible about the idea that our decision results from deterministic forces within our brains, and the fact that we have Free Will, in that we still have (1) Agency, (2) the Power of unimpeded choice such that (3) we can be held morally responsible.

The only possible way for free will to exist is if there is something along the lines of a soul.

The only possible way for Libertarian Free Will to exist is by magic, a compatibilistic interpretation of Free Will does not need a soul.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Shaggai wrote:The concept of free will is nonsensical in a nonreligious context.

It isn't.

What, exactly, has free will? Does a neuron have free will? If not, then why should a collection of them have free will?

That is presupposing a incompatibilist position on Free Will, when there is nothing incompatible about the idea that our decision results from deterministic forces within our brains, and the fact that we have Free Will, in that we still have (1) Agency, (2) the Power of unimpeded choice such that (3) we can be held morally responsible.

The only possible way for free will to exist is if there is something along the lines of a soul.

The only possible way for Libertarian Free Will to exist is by magic, a compatibilistic interpretation of Free Will does not need a soul.

The fuck it isn't.

If, ultimately, your decisions matter, you have no choice. You're either good or you burn in Hell. Total free will means you are CANNOT be held accountable to your actions if there are is no one to hold you accountable, including yourself, and a partial free will is an oxymoron. God, if it indeed exists, has total free will: what he does is morality, because none can hold him accountable. If all of a sudden "God" says raping children is moral, then you have to go along with it or else you burn in Hell.

What the shit are you talking about?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
It isn't.

The fuck it isn't.

If, ultimately, your decisions matter, you have no choice. You're either good or you burn in Hell. Total free will means you are CANNOT be held accountable to your actions if there are is no one to hold you accountable, including yourself, and a partial free will is an oxymoron. God, if it indeed exists, has total free will: what he does is morality, because none can hold him accountable. If all of a sudden "God" says raping children is moral, then you have to go along with it or else you burn in Hell.

I really am not following your argument. We aren't talking about Morality (the divine command theory has been out of favor since Plato)

Bzakstan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bzakstan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

I would like there to be an afterlife, although it probably wouldn't be all it's cracked up to be, I really would. But, I am an Atheist because there is just no conceivable way that somewhere like that can exist in a purely scientific sense. As a man of science, if there isn't proof of something, it doesn't exist.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:12 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
It isn't.

The fuck it isn't.

You cannot burn in something that doesn't exist (saying this from a theistic perspective).
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Distruzio wrote:
CTALNH wrote:As I said bite what?

By "bite" I meant that I wouldn't play that game with you. I don't presume trolling. I presume reality. The reality is that it's cute that you think a simple "nu-uh" is truth enough to dissuade a position you disagree with.

Provide proof the character Jesus existed in some form (not just some guy with the name). The bible is the claim that Jesus existed so you can't use that.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Provide proof the character Jesus existed in some form (not just some guy with the name). The bible is the claim that Jesus existed so you can't use that.

Did you not read the post you're responding to?
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:20 am

The Rich Port wrote:
It isn't.

The fuck it isn't.

God, if He does indeed exist, exists outside all manner of conception (including time, morality, physics, etc) until He does not. Hence the Christian assertion that Jesus is God. Since God is as much God as He is Man, then the antecedent influences and boundaries restricting the human exists also apply to God. Therefore, God cannot declare rape to be moral as Jesus/God was bound according to Jewish morality.

In other words, your destroying your own argument by associating the transcendence of morality and God. If not even the Jewish interpretation of God, being transcendent, exists beyond the scope of morality, then the Christian interpretation of God (Jesus) certainly cannot transcend morality as it exists.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Shaggai wrote:The concept of free will is nonsensical in a nonreligious context. What, exactly, has free will? Does a neuron have free will? If not, then why should a collection of them have free will? The only possible way for free will to exist is if there is something along the lines of a soul.

That's assuming a soul is an entity not bound by causality.

The existence of free will requires the soul. This does not mean that the existence of the soul requires free will.
Shaggai wrote:The concept of free will is nonsensical in a nonreligious context.

It isn't.

Except that choice is not unimpeded, because the choice is predetermined.
piss

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Sometimes I hope there is, because honestly, if this all there is, I'm pretty dissapointed already.
I've retired from the forums.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

you either didn't read his post or are replying to the wrong post.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General