NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control - A Political Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are bills such as the New York SAFE Act effective at stopping gun crime?

The measures are effective.
10%
I'm not sure.
18%
The measures are not effective.
72%

Total votes : 241

Miravium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Gun Control - A Political Thread

Postby Miravium » Sat May 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Hey NS: quite simply, what are your views regarding gun control?

I am against gun control. I am an upstanding citizen who follows all local gun laws and uses firearms responsibly. Why should the majority of responsible gun owners be punished for the actions of a few?
Last edited by Miravium on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO
CROATIA STRONK! BETTER THAN GHANA!
SUPPORT CROATIA WORLD CUP 2k14

Divair2
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair2 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Quite strongly in favour.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat May 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Miravium wrote:Hey NS: quite simply, what are your views regarding gun control?

I am against gun control. I am an upstanding citizen who follows all local gun laws and uses firearms responsibly. Why should the majority of responsible gun owners be punished for the actions of a few?

That's not what gun control is. Gun control is when upstanding, good citizens can have guns. However, it also means that people with dangerous mental illnesses or a criminal record shouldn't have guns, since it endangers the safety of society.

Most people(not all) who say they're against gun control, have a misconception of what gun control is. To them, it's the government taking their guns away, but it's really the government letting them keep their guns, while ensuring their safety.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Miravium
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Miravium » Sat May 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Gun control is a bit of a sticky system to implement; but I agree that background checks at the point of sale are okay, in my opinion. Gun runners are notoriously difficult to catch without them.
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat May 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Miravium wrote:Gun control is a bit of a sticky system to implement; but I agree that background checks at the point of sale are okay, in my opinion. Gun runners are notoriously difficult to catch without them.

Then you agree with some of the basic aspects of gun control.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Miravium
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Miravium » Sat May 03, 2014 5:16 pm

But, for general purposes, no, it's not okay. I don't think that the government should have to know what model or caliber of gun I purchased. Why should they care, anyway?
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat May 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Miravium wrote:But, for general purposes, no, it's not okay. I don't think that the government should have to know what model or caliber of gun I purchased. Why should they care, anyway?

Why does it matter to you?
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:18 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Miravium wrote:Hey NS: quite simply, what are your views regarding gun control?

That's not what gun control is. Gun control is when upstanding, good citizens can have guns. However, it also means that people with dangerous mental illnesses or a criminal record shouldn't have guns, since it endangers the safety of society.

Most people(not all) who say they're against gun control, have a misconception of what gun control is. To them, it's the government taking their guns away, but it's really the government letting them keep their guns, while ensuring their safety.

Except that isn't all that gun control is. Gun control can encompasse many things including banning certain types of guns for little more than the fact they "look mean and scary" ie the assualt weapons ban.

I believe what youre referring to would more accurately be called "reasonable" or "common sense" gun control. ;)

Miravium
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Miravium » Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Because the overwhelming majority are upstanding people, including me. If I am not doing anything wrong, why should it be a point of concern what armaments I have?
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Miravium wrote:Gun control is a bit of a sticky system to implement; but I agree that background checks at the point of sale are okay, in my opinion. Gun runners are notoriously difficult to catch without them.

Then you agree with some of the basic aspects of gun control.

Sure nearly everyone does, and some gun control (for example prohibiting felons from possessing guns) is even largely a settle question of constitutional law. ;)

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat May 03, 2014 5:21 pm

I agree that there needs to be SOME gun control (no firearms for convicted felons, or those adjudicated mentally defective), but stuff like banning "military grade" weapons, punitive taxes on firearms/ammunition (which some people on this forum have suggested), gun registrations, a complete ban on firearms, etc I DON'T agree with.
Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Sat May 03, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat May 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Llamalandia wrote:

Except that isn't all that gun control is. Gun control can encompasse many things including banning certain types of guns for little more than the fact they "look mean and scary" ie the assualt weapons ban.

I believe what youre referring to would more accurately be called "reasonable" or "common sense" gun control. ;)

I feel like gun control is a rather vague word. By definition it's government regulation when it comes to firearms. So, there are a lot of people, including myself, who believe that there should be background checks, a waiting period, more regulation on guns like assault weapons(not a ban) etc. So, I guess I advoate common sense gun control.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Sat May 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Miravium wrote:Because the overwhelming majority are upstanding people, including me. If I am not doing anything wrong, why should it be a point of concern what armaments I have?

For statistical purposes, for one.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat May 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Miravium wrote:But, for general purposes, no, it's not okay. I don't think that the government should have to know what model or caliber of gun I purchased. Why should they care, anyway?

Statical purposes,making sure guns don't get into the wrong hands etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Miravium
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Miravium » Sat May 03, 2014 5:23 pm

The Scientific States wrote:I feel like gun control is a rather vague word. By definition it's government regulation when it comes to firearms. So, there are a lot of people, including myself, who believe that there should be background checks, a waiting period, more regulation on guns like assault weapons(not a ban) etc. So, I guess I advocate common sense gun control.

How does one exactly define an "assault weapon"?
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat May 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Miravium wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:I feel like gun control is a rather vague word. By definition it's government regulation when it comes to firearms. So, there are a lot of people, including myself, who believe that there should be background checks, a waiting period, more regulation on guns like assault weapons(not a ban) etc. So, I guess I advocate common sense gun control.

Semi-Automatic weapons, Fully Automatic weapons.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Miravium wrote:

Well aside from antique single shot pistols and revolvers that definition would in include just about every modern handgun, you do realize that right? :eyebrow:

Miravium
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Miravium » Sat May 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Semi-automatic and fully-automatic weapons of any real significance are pretty difficult, logistically anyway, to use. Keep in mind that they use rifle-caliber ammunition; and to be consistent in feeding mechanisms and not jam up a lot, that ammunition is actually pretty expensive. Double that with the fact that machine guns are not really controllable, unless you trained yourself. And to train yourself, you need lots of ammo, etc...
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOO

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat May 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Miravium wrote:

This does not meet ANY definition of an "assault weapon".

Neither does this.

Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Miravium wrote:

Also, there is already a preexisting ban still in force on the civilian ownership of modern full autos (which is bs by the way). ;)

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Miravium wrote:Semi-automatic and fully-automatic weapons of any real significance are pretty difficult, logistically anyway, to use. Keep in mind that they use rifle-caliber ammunition; and to be consistent in feeding mechanisms and not jam up a lot, that ammunition is actually pretty expensive. Double that with the fact that machine guns are not really controllable, unless you trained yourself. And to train yourself, you need lots of ammo, etc...

True, but from why I understand full autos are fun to shoot. :lol: But yeah not really practical as tool of mass murder even for people trained to use them their role is often restricted more to suppressive fire than to actually engaging targets. ;)

Vespalia
Envoy

Founded: May 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vespalia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Here are the rules.
Unless you're certified...
I do not want you owning firearms.
Especially M27 IARs or other automatic weapons.
I do not want you owning a tank. Screw that, no civilians should have (armed) military vehicles unless they're required to use them to support the nation in a crisis.
Or nukes. Just...no. But you're gonna have to be a Russian trillionaire oligarch to get one.
And no, you will not get mercs to use, either.
That's my gun control.
Note-1: The calendars here use the Year after Vespalian Unification or AVU. It is presently 10113 AVU.
Note-2: Vespalia is the common name of the Vespalian Federation, a continent-spanning, federal parliamentary monarchy located on the namesake continent established in 1 BVU. It is the size of all Earth's landmass, on the planet Delia in the Andromeda galaxy. The population is roughly 12.6 billion. There are at least 13,000 languages spoken and the capital is Vega City.
Tech levels: PT (18th-mid-20th century), MT(variants on Western weapons systems), FT (Vespalian Space Command, myself at times)
H7 civilization.
We have three genders.

The Republic of the Northern Star
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of the Northern Star » Sat May 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Just sticking my nose in real quick to provide the dictionary definition for assault rifle.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dictionary.com
assault rifle
noun
a military rifle capable of both automatic and semiautomatic fire, utilizing an intermediate-power cartridge.
a nonmilitary weapon modeled on the military assault rifle, usually modified to allow only semiautomatic fire.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
World English Dictionary
assault rifle or assault weapon
— n
chiefly ( US ) a semiautomatic firearm with additional features such as a large magazine, a bayonet fitting, etc
"May the North Star forever guide you"
Economic Left/Right: -3.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -.10

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Vespalia wrote:Here are the rules.
Unless you're certified...
I do not want you owning firearms.
Especially M27 IARs or other automatic weapons.
I do not want you owning a tank. Screw that, no civilians should have (armed) military vehicles unless they're required to use them to support the nation in a crisis.
Or nukes. Just...no. But you're gonna have to be a Russian trillionaire oligarch to get one.
And no, you will not get mercs to use, either.
That's my gun control.

Well, ok, I think I can live with that, if all I have to do is take a course on auto firearms to be certified to be able to own and use them that doesn't sound to unreasonable (and I assume pass a background check). Yeah, fair enough, I don't think tanks are much of an issue, hand grenades or explosives perhaps could elicit some reasonable debate though. ;)

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 03, 2014 5:41 pm

The Republic of the Northern Star wrote:Just sticking my nose in real quick to provide the dictionary definition for assault rifle.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dictionary.com
assault rifle
noun
a military rifle capable of both automatic and semiautomatic fire, utilizing an intermediate-power cartridge.
a nonmilitary weapon modeled on the military assault rifle, usually modified to allow only semiautomatic fire.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
World English Dictionary
assault rifle or assault weapon
— n
chiefly ( US ) a semiautomatic firearm with additional features such as a large magazine, a bayonet fitting, etc

Helpful, though I see no reason why non military weapons should be banned (of course I also take issue with banning full autos as well). The problem is that it seems far too many gun control advocates are unfamiliar with even much of the basic operation and technical details of firearm operations. Perhaps if there were less ignorance pro 2nd amendment folks would have more faith that the proposals for reasonable gun control would not ultimately be taken to extremes. ;)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General