NATION

PASSWORD

Louisiana's state book to be the bible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Everyone seems to be ignoring the massive impact the Bible has had on Louisiana and our nation as a whole. The effect it has had on our founders, our constitution, our laws, and our culture has been enormous.

Besides, to claim it is unconstitutional means it would have to be either the establishment of a state religion or a law that would impede others' freedom to worship. Having a State Book is just another "state-thing" trivia fact that will effect nothing.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Luepola
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luepola » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Jamzmania wrote:Everyone seems to be ignoring the massive impact the Bible has had on Louisiana and our nation as a whole. The effect it has had on our founders, our constitution, our laws, and our culture has been enormous.

Besides, to claim it is unconstitutional means it would have to be either the establishment of a state religion or a law that would impede others' freedom to worship. Having a State Book is just another "state-thing" trivia fact that will affect nothing.

Fixed
The 'e' is silent.
Riding the Trump Train to the White House

Pro: Absolute Freedom of Speech
i am a trigendered female trans-arab jedi knight please use incorrect pronouns

Anti: Political Correctness, Abuses of Power

Enough is enough.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Jamzmania wrote:Everyone seems to be ignoring the massive impact the Bible has had on Louisiana and our nation as a whole. The effect it has had on our founders, our constitution, our laws, and our culture has been enormous.

Besides, to claim it is unconstitutional means it would have to be either the establishment of a state religion or a law that would impede others' freedom to worship. Having a State Book is just another "state-thing" trivia fact that will effect nothing.

Yes, how massively the Founding Fathers wanted nothing to do with it.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Divair2
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:03 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

Clearly the only solution is to adopt an anti-bible as the official state book.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:04 pm

She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Hochste Kaiserreich
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hochste Kaiserreich » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Remember when Church and State were separated?
Pepperidge Farms remembers.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.03
Hail Hydra

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Divair2 wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Clearly the only solution is to adopt an anti-bible as the official state book.

The Satanic bible *nods*

Besides, it's been 20 years since the last Satanic Panic, let's have a new one!
I've retired from the forums.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Nervium wrote:
Divair2 wrote:Clearly the only solution is to adopt an anti-bible as the official state book.

The Satanic bible *nods*

Besides, it's been 20 years since the last Satanic Panic, let's have a new one!

Satanic Bible? Skip the middle man and just push for Atlas Shrugged.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Chaunceys
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Louisiana's state book to be the bible?

Postby Chaunceys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Link to article:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... _book.html

Now I know this was pulled because in the first part of the article it reads

Rep. Thomas Carmody, R-Shreveport, scrapped his proposal to make the Holy Bible the official state book before it could go to a full vote of the state House of Representatives Monday evening. The bill had become a distraction, he said.

In introducing the legislation, Carmody always maintained he was not taking steps to establish a state religion, but rather to educate people. Critics have accused him of foisting faith inappropriately into the government sphere. Others thought such a designation would trivialize the Bible and its importance.

Now even though this was scrapped I wanted to get "everyone" else's opinions on this my opinion on this is that this shouldn't happen because of Separation of Church and State also in 1797 the United States Senate unanimously ratified a treaty with triple E that stated in article 11 reads:
As the Government of the united States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion; as it has itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries

Also another quote from Thomas Jefferson:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between Church & State

Personally I don't think this should happen because it breaches the "wall" between Church and State" and pretty much give a big middle finger at any other religion besides Christianity.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Added the new thread to the end of this old one.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Chaunceys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Chaunceys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:While it's a truly historic piece of fiction and has more printed copies than any other novel in history, It's a little.... dated. I think they'd be better off with something a little more contemporary and more in line with the state average reading level; like 'Hop on Pop' by Dr Seuss for example. :)

Or green eggs and ham :D

Chaunceys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Chaunceys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Added the new thread to the end of this old one.

Yay in a sarcastic voice xD

Chaunceys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Chaunceys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:51 am

Am I allowed to create a new forum topic of this to inject some new life to the forum?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 am

The Rich Port wrote:

There was a Jefferson bible.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

There was a Jefferson bible.

And it had pictures of Jefferson's Staff of Longinus.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 pm

I would argue that if they're going to do this, they *should* pick a translation. The Bible is an important work of literature, but few would say that the NLT has a tenth of the literary quality of the King James or the Vulgate.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General