NATION

PASSWORD

As Luck May Have It 2 [OOC|Signups|Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

As Luck May Have It 2 [OOC|Signups|Open]

Postby Tiktaaland » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:30 pm

As Luck May Have It, 2
This thread is an authorized sequel, not in story, but in gameplay, to G Tech Corporation's original As Luck May Have It. All credit for the original concept and system go to him.

Welcome, players! As you may have guessed, this is a luck based RPG. You take the roll of a character thrust into mysterious circumstances, in an entirely unfamiliar land, one of many who have converged upon this strange location. Players of all experience levels are welcome.

Gameplay

Each round will last for approximately 24 hours, during which you (in fact, all the players) will announce the actions of your characters. These may be any length, or writing style- so long as you follow the rules, I'm fine with it.

For each action you take, I will cast two dice and add their scores. Add any applicable modifiers, and you have your score for said action. Scores nearing twelve indicate more favorable circumstances... while the one's and two's suggest misfortune and injury. I will post the results of each player's actions at the end of each round (meaning sometime late in the day, or when everyone has posted).
Some actions may involve multiple skills, and therefore, multiple die rolls. For most actions, though, they use the following equation:
Score = (Die1 + Die2) + (RelevantSkill - 6)
Refer to the table below for score results.

1 Grievous Failure: Whatever you were trying to do, you failed in the most tragic (comical) manner possible, resulting in spectacular death and/or mangling. It wasn't a matter of luck; your own personal failings brought you here. I would feel sorry for you, but that was beyond pathetic.

2 Failure: Lady Luck didn't so much smile upon you, as flash a wicked grin. And punch you in the gut. And break your legs.

3 Failure: On the one hand, you (probably) are going to survive this one. On the other... well... It's no longer attached to your arm. How unfortunate.

4 Failure: Yeah, you managed to evade serious injury, but things took a turn for the worse. You probably just dropped the Green Key in a chamberpot, or woke Fluffy.

5 Failure: Nothing really happened. Congratulations, you wasted a turn.

6 Success: You didn't manage to do much... but on the upside. you didn't lose any limbs this round.

7 Success: Hey, you sort of accomplished that last action. I suppose you deserve a ribbon, because you're a winner too.

8 Success: Now we're getting somewhere. Not anywhere spectacular, but somewhere nonetheless. Maybe there's hope for you yet...

9 Success: I rarely say this, but I am impressed. You have truly succeeded at whatever it is you were doing, and for that I respect you. Good job.

10 Success: Your triumph was so great that bards and minstrels shall sing of this victory for years to come! Your very name shall inspire deafening cheers from tavern goers… or at the very least, I’ll congratulate you.

11 Success: Not only did you get Ye Flask, but you did so with the precision and grandeur of a lesser god! Where others would have fallen flat on their face, you excelled, your superior attributes yielding satisfying results. Even I feel humbled in your obviously divine presence.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Winning: Whatever you did was just taken up to 11. I think that's good? Here's hoping it didn't go too right.... You might have pulled a Charlie.

Each character will have their own stats, skills which affect their ability to perform actions. A score of 6 in a skill means that for any die roll relevant to that skill, no modifier will be applied (see the equation above). You only have 24 points to allocate among your skills, so you will start the game with multiple negative modifiers. But fret not; you will have numerous chances to improve your stats during the game. However, the opposite is also true. Injuries, conditions, and general mood can all reduce your stats.

Finally, standard roleplay rules apply. My word is law, and any attempts to disobey will end badly for your character. Player versus player combat, and even murder, is completely acceptable, so don't expect me to save you from your "teammates". I suppose I'll throw the overused "have fun" requirement in there too.

"Wishing" for things is strictly forbidden, and I will not abide it. And because the setting will be unfamiliar, you are not allowed to "suddenly remember I left a sword under that rock 3 years ago".

Application

NOTE: While specific "magical" abilities are OK, I will not accept any new strictly wizard characters unless they are truly unique.

Newly accepted characters will make their first move on the round following the one in which I accepted them- so if your app is accepted during round 2, you enter on round 3. I will write you a character entrance on your first round.

Skill Points Available: 24
Name:
Attack:
Tenacity:
Defense:
Dexterity:
Acuity:
Attribute 1:
And that means...?
Attribute 2:
And that means...?
Weakness:

Name: Your character's preferred title, what others should refer to you as.
Gender: Your character's gender and/or sexual orientation, if applicable. This may affect how NPC's treat you.

SKILLS: You have 24 points to allocate among the following skills. Choose wisely, as these will affect your chances at performing certain actions.

Strength (Str): Look, strong brutes usually win fights. Upgrade your strength to improve the damage inflicted on enemies, and your ability to haul large things.

Attack (Att): Being able to punch harder than a 500 lb gorilla is all well and good, but the ability to actually hit your target is vital. Your attack score determines whether you strike thy enemy with a well-aimed, crushing punch to the groin, or simply flail your arms wildly in their general direction, hoping that you get lucky and smack something.

Defense (Dex): When a maniac is coming at you with a massive axe, you need to be able to counter them. That's where defense comes in.

Tenacity (Ten): Some cry over papercuts, others swallow rocks for the hell of it. Tenacity basically determines how "tough" you are, and a high score grants superior pain resistance, faster healing, and a general knack for surviving injury.

Acuity (Acu): RPG's aren't always just hack-and-slash violence. Sometimes. you need to solve a puzzle, or communicate with beings of above agerage intelligence. Your acuity score determines whether you trudge along with a blank look, your jaw slack and your eyes half closed, or you carefully analyze situations and make strategic moves.

Dexterity (Dex): At some point, you're probably going to have to pick something up, or open a door. Dexterity is a broad skill that determines your agility, fine motor skills, and reaction time. This is essential if you ever want to perform complicated tasks like juggling, or walking in a straight line.

Attributes: Your character should have something unique about them. Your attributes can give you special abilities, or modifiers.

Weakness: Your characters are not gods; they should be flawed. If you cannot create an adequate weakness, I will. And trust me, you don't want that.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Strength:[/b]
[b]Attack:[/b]
[b]Tenacity:[/b]
[b]Defense:[/b]
[b]Dexterity:[/b]
[b]Acuity:[/b]
[b]Attribute 1:[/b]
[b]And that means...?[/b]
[b]Attribute 2:[/b]
[b]And that means...?[/b]
[b]Weakness:[/b]
Last edited by Tiktaaland on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Agnostic Atheist, no doubt part of the liberal conspiracy.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87
This is is my sane nation. My primary account, New Krikkit, is considerably less reasonable.

The Almighty Space-Whale
Attaché

Founded: Mar 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Almighty Space-Whale » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Although I might make some slight changes, here's my application.
Name: Magnus Swiftclaw
Strength: 5
Attack: 5
Tenacity: 5
Defense: 3
Dexterity: 3
Acuity: 3
Attribute 1: Ursine Strength
And that means...?As a bear and an escaped slave, Magnus is used to dragging prey and being forced to carry heavy loads. Because of this, he is able to carry another player on his back, or to pull a small object such as a sled if provided with and connected to one.
Attribute 2: Powerful Claws
And that means...? Pretty self-explanatory: another advantage of his species is that their front legs are basically furry sledgehammers, tipped with five hooks ideal for tearing through flesh.
Weakness: Inhuman Disadvantages:
And that means... Although bears have physical advantages, and a childhood binge on unicorn flesh granted him human intelligence, he still has some physical disadvantages. Though he can understand human speech and writing, he is completely unable to replicate them. As well as preventing him from writing, his claws are also ill-suited for wielding weapons and objects, making him incapable of interacting with objects in any way more complicated than shoving them and picking them up in his mouth.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Name: Squishikus Magicus
Strength: 1
Tenacity: 2
Dexterity: 7
Acuity: 6
Attribute 1: Master of the Arcane.
And that means...? Squishikus is a student of the lores of magic, and has quite a bit of competency in the magical arts.
Attribute 2: Wardlord
And that means...? The mage is a very aware of his own inability to not die, and has had to resurrect himself many times view charms and spells prepared before death. As such, he excels in casting magical armor and resurrection/healing incantations.
Weakness: Strange Mystic Beliefs.
The Magisterium, of which Squishikus, required a peculiar oath upon induction into their ranks. By the terms of which, Squishikus forfeits all his arcane prowess for the duration of any time period wherein which he wears or uses an item made of iron or silver, for both are anathema to the eldritch forces he serves and utilizes for his spells.
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:09 pm

The Almighty Space-Whale wrote:Although I might make some slight changes, here's my application.
And that means...?As a bear and an escaped slave, Magnus is used to dragging prey and being forced to carry heavy loads. Because of this, he is able to carry another player on his back, or to pull a small object such as a sled if provided with and connected to one.
And that means...? Pretty self-explanatory: another advantage of his species is that their front legs are basically furry sledgehammers, tipped with five hooks ideal for tearing through flesh.
And that means... Although bears have physical advantages, and a childhood binge on unicorn flesh granted him human intelligence, he still has some physical disadvantages. Though he can understand human speech and writing, he is completely unable to replicate them. As well as preventing him from writing, his claws are also ill-suited for wielding weapons and objects, making him incapable of interacting with objects in any way more complicated than shoving them and picking them up in his mouth.

This looks fine to me. I'll give you +4 strength for your claws, with one condition: it only applies in situations where you're upright, and you're striking something.

As far as the Ursine strength goes, I don't know what you're intending. Do you expect a stat bonus, or just the ability to carry others?
This is is my sane nation. My primary account, New Krikkit, is considerably less reasonable.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Tiktaaland wrote:
The Almighty Space-Whale wrote:Although I might make some slight changes, here's my application.

This looks fine to me. I'll give you +4 strength for your claws, with one condition: it only applies in situations where you're upright, and you're striking something.

As far as the Ursine strength goes, I don't know what you're intending. Do you expect a stat bonus, or just the ability to carry others?

Ooh. I hope he says the second.

A mage casting arcane fire while riding a war bear will be a truly fear-inducing sight for our foes.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:15 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Name: Squishikus Magicus
Strength: 2
Tenacity: 3
Defense: 2
Acuity: 5
And that means...? Squishikus is a student of the lores of magic, and has quite a bit of competency in the magical arts.
And that means...? The mage is a very aware of his own inability to not die, and has had to resurrect himself many times view charms and spells prepared before death. As such, he excels in casting magical armor and resurrection/healing incantations.
The Magisterium, of which Squishikus, required a peculiar oath upon induction into their ranks. By the terms of which, Squishikus forfeits all his arcane prowess for the duration of any time period wherein which he wears or uses an item made of iron or silver, for both are anathema to the eldritch forces he serves and utilizes for his spells.

Could you define your attributes more clearly? "Magic" is a very general term.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Tiktaaland wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Name: Squishikus Magicus
Strength: 2
Tenacity: 3
Defense: 2
Acuity: 5

Certainly.

Master of the Arcane would involve Squishy receiving some sort of bonus to casting spells, generally powered by his own energy. If you want, I can specify the types of Spells he can cast- basically Wards which are protective spells, Healing, which is obviously curing stuff, and Combat, which is throwing fireballs and shooting lightening from his fingertips/whatnot.

Wardlord would be a buff on certain subsets of general magic where he is specialized, like I said, magical armor, resurrection, and healing.

The Almighty Space-Whale
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Almighty Space-Whale » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Tiktaaland wrote:This looks fine to me. I'll give you +4 strength for your claws, with one condition: it only applies in situations where you're upright, and you're striking something.

I'm just intending to be able to carry/drag stuff around, though riding should be restricted to when I'm on all fours. However, I won't complain if you give me a small strength bonus.
G-Tech Corporation wrote:A mage casting arcane fire while riding a war bear will be a truly fear-inducing sight for our foes.

I'll happily ally myself with you, as we seem to be fairly well-matched characters. However, I wouldn't suggest using fire: many creatures fear it, and react with a fight-or-flight response. Considering that Magnus is a Kodiak bear and Squishikus is a human weakling, there's a vast size difference, which would probably cause the bear to choose the "fight" option.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Hmm. Fair point. Lightening is probably out the window too then. Perhaps warding Magnus against harm and enhancing his unarmed combat abilities to be able to tear through any foes would be a better use of arcane might.

The Almighty Space-Whale
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Almighty Space-Whale » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:12 pm

You should probably try to use only physical spells like shoving and buffs/ debuffs with nearby enemies. Lightning amd fire will probably be safe, so long ax they don't land anywhere near me.

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Application accepted.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Name: Vakhan Azathar
Defense: 4
Dexterity: 1
Acuity: 4
Attribute 1: Self-defense against fruit!
And that means...? Very good at poking things made of, or near, fruit, as long as his weapon is basically a pointed stick (i. e., a polearm).
Attribute 2: I'm a WALL!
And that means...? Very good at blocking things. Not all that good at dodging, but whatever.
Weakness: Very, very, very high standards in music. Most music will cause him to scream and cover his ears to avoid hearing such a horrible sound.
piss

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Shaggai wrote:Name: Vakhan Azathar
Defense: 4
Dexterity: 1
Acuity: 4
Attribute 1: Self-defense against fruit!
And that means...? Very good at poking things made of, or near, fruit, as long as his weapon is basically a pointed stick (i. e., a polearm).
Attribute 2: I'm a WALL!
And that means...? Very good at blocking things. Not all that good at dodging, but whatever.
Weakness: Very, very, very high standards in music. Most music will cause him to scream and cover his ears to avoid hearing such a horrible sound.

Accepted.

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:20 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hmm. Fair point. Lightening is probably out the window too then. Perhaps warding Magnus against harm and enhancing his unarmed combat abilities to be able to tear through any foes would be a better use of arcane might.

So, are you going to alter your application, or are you satisfied with it as is?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Tiktaaland wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Hmm. Fair point. Lightening is probably out the window too then. Perhaps warding Magnus against harm and enhancing his unarmed combat abilities to be able to tear through any foes would be a better use of arcane might.

So, are you going to alter your application, or are you satisfied with it as is?

You never responded to:

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Tiktaaland wrote:

Certainly.

Master of the Arcane would involve Squishy receiving some sort of bonus to casting spells, generally powered by his own energy. If you want, I can specify the types of Spells he can cast- basically Wards which are protective spells, Healing, which is obviously curing stuff, and Combat, which is throwing fireballs and shooting lightening from his fingertips/whatnot.

Wardlord would be a buff on certain subsets of general magic where he is specialized, like I said, magical armor, resurrection, and healing.

So I'm waiting to hear your thoughts :)

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Sure:

Squishy can cast:

Burning Fire- A bolt of burn.
Grinding Ice- Some flying shards of ouch.
Crispy Lightening - A bit of an electrifying experience for those it hits.
Heal - Because bleeding out is bad.
Resurrection - From the dead, rise!
Magic Missile - Arcane power hurting others.
Shield- Because being hurt is not for the arcane.
Ward of Protection- Makes people not quite so susceptible to getting hurt.
Dismay- Cause foes to flee!
Voidwalker- From the planes of Darkness, a spirit to soak up some DPS.

He would receive buffs to casting Shield, Ward of Protection, Heal, and Resurrection, since those are his specialties.

New Krikkit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Krikkit » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:01 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Sure:

Squishy can cast:

He would receive buffs to casting Shield, Ward of Protection, Heal, and Resurrection, since those are his specialties.

Do you intend resurrection to summon the dead as temporary slaves, or to permanently resurrect allies?
For my primary forum account, see Tiktaaland.
------/#####/--//####/--------/###/
------/###/-----/#/----/#/----/##/----
-----/###/-----/#/----/#/---/##/-----
---/###/------/#/----/#/----/##/----
/#####/---//#####/--------/###/
-Join Today!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:03 pm

New Krikkit wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Sure:

Squishy can cast:

Do you intend resurrection to summon the dead as temporary slaves, or to permanently resurrect allies?

I had intended it to be used on allies, but I suppose that could be a bit powerful. Perhaps it can do that, but needs to be successfully cast on them every so often to keep them a going concern?

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Alright, I determined the mechanics of the spells you suggested. If this works for you, your app is accepted.

When casting Combat Spell: Acuity Chance to produce fire, ice, or lightning attack, Attack Chance to hit target.

Acuity Chance to frighten 1 NPC when casting Dismay Spell. 1 round cooldown.

Acuity Chance to heal 1 live target when casting Heal Spell. 1 round cooldown.

Acuity Chance to grant +1 Def to target when casting Shield Ward, Acuity Chance to grant +1 Ten when casting Protection Ward. Lasts [Score-8] turns. Can only have 1 ward summoned at a time.

When casting Resurrection Spell on dead NPC, Acuity Chance to resurrect them. On Players, requires Acuity Roll of 10+ to fully resurrect, otherwise comes back as Zombie. 4 round cooldown.

Acuity Chance to summon spiritual meatshield. While summoned, spirit has Chance to take one blow each turn. If successful, spirit is sent back to the void. 3 round cooldown, following spirit's demise.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Those sound good. Just two clarifications.

What is a Zombie? In terms of this RP, obviously.

Is the Chance for the meatshield just a straight 50-50 success-failure?

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:29 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Those sound good. Just two clarifications.

By "zombie", I mean a mindless NPC with the body (and, depending on just how badly you failed, the stats) of the deceased, bent on destroying their summoner.

The meatshield simply requires a "successful" score.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Tiktaaland wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Those sound good. Just two clarifications.

By "zombie", I mean a mindless NPC with the body (and, depending on just how badly you failed, the stats) of the deceased, bent on destroying their summoner.

Hmm. I meant it in more the D+D style, where it's hard to do (requiring multiple turns/a high roll?) but you can bring back dead party members.

Tiktaaland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiktaaland » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Tiktaaland wrote:

Hmm. I meant it in more the D+D style, where it's hard to do (requiring multiple turns/a high roll?) but you can bring back dead party members.

Ok, I suppose I can do that. If you score 12 on an acuity roll, or 9+ on three consecutive acuity rolls, your target will be restored to full, pre-death condition. No cooldown, same for players and NPC's.
Last edited by Tiktaaland on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Tiktaaland wrote:

Ok, I suppose I can do that. If you score 12 on an acuity roll, or 9+ on three consecutive acuity rolls, your target will be restored to full, pre-death condition. No cooldown, same for players and NPC's.

Sure, sounds great. Can't wait for the RP to begin.

Refterland
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Refterland » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:14 am

Name: IG-88B
Gender: Not Applicable, However IG-88B is programmed with a male persona.
Strength: 4
Attack: 6
Tenacity: 4
Dexterity: 4
Attribute 1: Assassin Droid
And that means...? IG-88B is very skilled at killing his targets. He can use just about any weapon he gets has hands on.
Attribute 2: Metal Exterior
And that means...? IG-88B is very resistant to attacks because he is made of metal, and had metal armoring.
Weakness: IG-88B can get short circuited if water or any sort of fluid (except machine oil) gets under his armor.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse