NATION

PASSWORD

Amanda Knox Acquitted of 07 Murder by Italy’s Highest Court

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Amanda Knox Acquitted of 07 Murder by Italy’s Highest Court

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:30 am

So an Italian court has reinstated the guilty verdict on Amanda Knox.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25975395

Should the US agree to extradite Amanda Knox to Italy to serve the remainder of the sentence? She won't go voluntarily, so it is either extradition or the Italians can start following the US lead and use some special rendition ;) .

Personally I think the US should agree to extradition.

Mod edit: the title
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:34 am

A cursory glance at the United States - Italy extradition treaty suggests that Knox has to be extradited...

Hope she is.
Where is Someone Special?
<@Unibot> I don't care about defender unity.

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 am

Ugh, I thought this chewing gum case had long been forgotten. Extradite her, be done with it and get back to media topics that actually matter.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:47 am

Extradite her.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:51 am

Mad Jack wrote:A cursory glance at the United States - Italy extradition treaty suggests that Knox has to be extradited...

Hope she is.

I'm pretty sure there's a valid exception there, seeing as how it's double jeopardy and all.
I honestly don't have an opinion, but the sheer amount of bullshit in the Italian court system in going back and forth like this isn't exactly inspiring.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:58 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a valid exception there, seeing as how it's double jeopardy and all.
I honestly don't have an opinion, but the sheer amount of bullshit in the Italian court system in going back and forth like this isn't exactly inspiring.

I am not sure if it is double jeopardy; they overturned the verdict of an appeal to the original trial.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:02 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:So an Italian court has reinstated the guilty verdict on Amanda Knox.

Should the US agree to extradite Amanda Knox to Italy to serve the remainder of the sentence? She won't go voluntarily, so it is either extradition or the Italians can start following the US lead and use some special rendition ;) .

If I had any reason to believe that she had a fair trial, I'd agree with extradition.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a valid exception there, seeing as how it's double jeopardy and all.

I am not sure if it is double jeopardy; they overturned the verdict of an appeal to the original trial.

No it was retrial iirc, but Italy doesn't absolutely prohibit double jeopardy.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:20 am

Napkiraly wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:

No it was retrial iirc, but Italy doesn't absolutely prohibit double jeopardy.

"3 years later another trial is held because of some stupid oversight or manipulation",
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 am

Napkiraly wrote:No it was retrial iirc, but Italy doesn't absolutely prohibit double jeopardy.

Ah right. Doesn't it matter more how the US regards double jeopardy when it comes to extradition? My legal knowledge is rubbish.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:30 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:No it was retrial iirc, but Italy doesn't absolutely prohibit double jeopardy.

Ah right. Doesn't it matter more how the US regards double jeopardy when it comes to extradition? My legal knowledge is rubbish.

Nope. Extradition treaty only protects Americans from double jeopardy if it is something that has already been dealt with by the US legal system as well. She's SOL on that account.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:34 am

SOL is statute of limitiations?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:36 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:SOL is statute of limitiations?

Shit outta luck.

Eoghania
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eoghania » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:36 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:SOL is statute of limitiations?

Shit Outta Luck.
Mostly found in General ('Tis a lie, mostly found lurking and reading in Moderation)
GA-wise, Eoghania is not a member, but Lord Barington occasionally speaks up in debate, curmudgeonly old soul that he is

New Catalonia
Envoy

Founded: May 17, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New Catalonia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:52 am

She should absolutely be extradited!

This is the woman who changed her story twice during trial: first saying she was not present when the murder was committed and then saying she heard another guy committing it. Amanda Knox has time and again shown herself to be at least culpable in the death of Meredith Kirchner. And let's not forget how she said, "I know I'm innocent and I'll return to Italy to prove it." then immediately turned around and said, "Actually, maybe not."

And as for this double jeopardy bullshit: that only stands if 1) it has passed through the US legal system (which it hasn't) and 2) in Italy, it is tried by jury (which it wasn't).

She's guilty, guilty, guilty. Everyone knows it. But because she's a blue-eyed American this is the greatest injustice ever known and she's hard done by and can't possibly be guilty! Have you seen the way the US media portrays this thing? It's like some bumbling Itais couldn't do shit so blamed a beautiful americano with slight links to make themselves look good. It is utter shit.

A British family is missing out on justice for their daughter, the competence of the very good Italian legal system is being accused of corruption and all because a rich white girl was caught up in a murder trial.

Send her down! Justice for Meredith!
I am a 30 year old gay male from Catalonia. I am a realist but philosophically that makes me a pessimist.
I am a Catalan nationalist, pro-environment, pro-equality. I believe in reason, not dogma. Earth is a beautiful place and I believe it should be kept that way. Was pro-EU until it decided that the democracy it supposedly champions does not apply to Catalonia.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.59
Som i serem - viva la República Catalana

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:53 am

Dyakovo wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:So an Italian court has reinstated the guilty verdict on Amanda Knox.

If I had any reason to believe that she had a fair trial, I'd agree with extradition.

What exactly makes you believe she didn't have a fair trial?
Where is Someone Special?
<@Unibot> I don't care about defender unity.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:54 am

Napkiraly wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:

Nope. Extradition treaty only protects Americans from double jeopardy if it is something that has already been dealt with by the US legal system as well. She's SOL on that account.

i am not sure your interpertation of us law regarding extradition and double jeopardy is correct
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/world/eur ... x-retrial/

seems to imply it is not.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:58 am

New Catalonia wrote:She should absolutely be extradited!

This is the woman who changed her story twice during trial: first saying she was not present when the murder was committed and then saying she heard another guy committing it. Amanda Knox has time and again shown herself to be at least culpable in the death of Meredith Kirchner. And let's not forget how she said, "I know I'm innocent and I'll return to Italy to prove it." then immediately turned around and said, "Actually, maybe not."

And as for this double jeopardy bullshit: that only stands if 1) it has passed through the US legal system (which it hasn't) and 2) in Italy, it is tried by jury (which it wasn't).

She's guilty, guilty, guilty. Everyone knows it. But because she's a blue-eyed American this is the greatest injustice ever known and she's hard done by and can't possibly be guilty! Have you seen the way the US media portrays this thing? It's like some bumbling Itais couldn't do shit so blamed a beautiful americano with slight links to make themselves look good. It is utter shit.

A British family is missing out on justice for their daughter, the competence of the very good Italian legal system is being accused of corruption and all because a rich white girl was caught up in a murder trial.

To be fair, I didn't know that about the DJ rule, although it's possible the US...might just not enforce it if it's that big a PR issue. It would certainly be interesting if they did hand her back.
...And I think you may have overextended yourself a little bit on claiming that the Italian legal system is of any especially good quality, even in this case. They've flipflopped about three times on this: first she's guilty, then she's not, then she is again. If they're so good, why didn't they just stick by it the first time? Why keep second-guessing?
I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong as a result, but again, it isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.
When the war is over
Got to start again

New Catalonia
Envoy

Postby New Catalonia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Mad Jack wrote:A cursory glance at the United States - Italy extradition treaty suggests that Knox has to be extradited...

Hope she is.

I'm pretty sure there's a valid exception there, seeing as how it's double jeopardy and all.

That's because the Italians don't use common law they use civil law. Civil law is based on a system of appeal exhaustion. If you're sentenced you can appeal before doing the time. Not like common law where you're sent down and appeal from prison.
I am a 30 year old gay male from Catalonia. I am a realist but philosophically that makes me a pessimist.
I am a Catalan nationalist, pro-environment, pro-equality. I believe in reason, not dogma. Earth is a beautiful place and I believe it should be kept that way. Was pro-EU until it decided that the democracy it supposedly champions does not apply to Catalonia.
Political compass

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Nope. Extradition treaty only protects Americans from double jeopardy if it is something that has already been dealt with by the US legal system as well. She's SOL on that account.

i am not sure your interpertation of us law regarding extradition and double jeopardy is correct
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/world/eur ... x-retrial/

seems to imply it is not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10607883/What-next-for-Amanda-Knox.html
Some lawyers and supporters of Ms Knox have argued that having been acquitted in 2011, she would be protected under the US Constitution from “double jeopardy” – being tried twice for the same charge.

Yet the US-Italy extradition treaty only protects Americans from extradition to face prosecution again in Italy for an offence that has already been dealt with by the US legal system. “This is not applicable in this situation,” said Professor Julian Ku, who teaches transnational law at Hofstra University.

You were saying?

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:01 am

New Catalonia wrote:

That's because the Italians don't use common law they use civil law. Civil law is based on a system of appeal exhaustion. If you're sentenced you can appeal before doing the time. Not like common law where you're sent down and appeal from prison.

That doesn't explain why they changed their mind twice, though.
When the war is over
Got to start again

New Catalonia
Envoy

Postby New Catalonia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:03 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:

To be fair, I didn't know that about the DJ rule, although it's possible the US...might just not enforce it if it's that big a PR issue. It would certainly be interesting if they did hand her back.
...And I think you may have overextended yourself a little bit on claiming that the Italian legal system is of any especially good quality, even in this case. They've flipflopped about three times on this: first she's guilty, then she's not, then she is again. If they're so good, why didn't they just stick by it the first time? Why keep second-guessing?
I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong as a result, but again, it isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

That's how the Italian legal system works: you can appeal and be retried. It's not flip flopping, its about being thorough and ensuring guilt before being imprisoned. Its the same legal system used in Germany. They "flip flop" too but its not an issue? Italians, like all other European mainland countries uses the civil law system where you're not guilty until you're guilty. None of this "you may be innocent, appeal from jail" of the British /US systems.
Political compass

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:03 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:

Let's not forget it wasn't only the Italian legal system that acted like a pancake during this fiasco - Ms. Knox herself changed her tune a few times.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:05 am

Napkiraly wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:To be fair, I didn't know that about the DJ rule, although it's possible the US...might just not enforce it if it's that big a PR issue. It would certainly be interesting if they did hand her back.

Let's not forget it wasn't only the Italian legal system that acted like a pancake during this fiasco - Ms. Knox herself changed her tune a few times.

Right.
I guess all this verdict switching over time just kinda got to me. It just doesn't look too good from my angle, but I guess that's normal...?
When the war is over
Got to start again

New Catalonia
Envoy

Postby New Catalonia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:06 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
New Catalonia wrote:That's because the Italians don't use common law they use civil law. Civil law is based on a system of appeal exhaustion. If you're sentenced you can appeal before doing the time. Not like common law where you're sent down and appeal from prison.

That doesn't explain why they changed their mind twice, though.

Yes it does. She was found guilty. Her legal team appealed. A separate appeal court ordered a retrial to ensure guilt. She was never found innocent, that's just how America reported it. The appeal court ruled something like she did it but her guilt couldn't be proven. That's not innocent, its guilt not proven. Subtle but legally significant.
Political compass

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General