NATION

PASSWORD

Would you kill a man to save a thousand?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Valencian Blade
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Would you kill a man to save a thousand?

Postby The Valencian Blade » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Alright, so its an age-old question. Let me propose this hypothetical situation.
You have a lunatic dictator, let's call him X. X has killed millions of people in his country, and will kill more. You are given the opportunity to kill him, and thus save millions, but in so doing, you must kill an innocent guy, Bob. Bob's a completely average man. Married, has two kids, works hard, reads the sports before business section of the paper. Do you do it?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Depends on the consequences for me.
If I will end up in jail then No.

If society recognizes my sacrifice and flings millions of dollars in currency toward me, then yes.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Celestial Divinities
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Divinities » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Why do I have to kill Bob?
Boob sisters with WWIIHG!
Vortiaganica was here >.>

I am every mighty mild seventies child

Married to Esty.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:48 pm

depending on the situation, and various other things, probably...

The New Everlasting
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Everlasting » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:49 pm

Only if he looked at me wrong.
Defcon
1 2 3 4 5

Alliances:
United Fascist Assembly

Tybra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tybra » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:50 pm

It depends, is X really such a bad guy? Evil is as they say subjective, for all i know he's been prosecuting all the bad guys and ending crime.

Would we assume X is really such a bad or evil guy then yes i would kill Bob. Then again i would kill humanity to save humanity and have no problem with killing millions or even billions of people to save humanity.
Tybra Factbook

"The key to strategy... is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
— Cavilo, The Vor Game

Peripheral Visionaries
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Peripheral Visionaries » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:52 pm

The Valencian Blade wrote:Alright, so its an age-old question. Let me propose this hypothetical situation.
You have a lunatic dictator, let's call him X. X has killed millions of people in his country, and will kill more. You are given the opportunity to kill him, and thus save millions, but in so doing, you must kill an innocent guy, Bob. Bob's a completely average man. Married, has two kids, works hard, reads the sports before business section of the paper. Do you do it?

Reads the sports before the business section?

Sure. That bitch is going down. Crucifixion's too good for 'em.

Republica Espanola
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Espanola » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:53 pm

If I could sacrifice myself, rather than Bob, I would.
If I couldn't, I'd kill Bob.

>:3
President Tania Mendes
La Confederación Republicana de la República Española
Embassies in República Española
I suck at political debate.
Jefferson Davis wrote:Never be haughty to the humble, or humble to the haughty.

The Halseyist Faction
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Halseyist Faction » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:54 pm

Circumstancial.
Colonel Hogwral, Acting on behalf of Admiral Halsey, Lord and Savior of the Citizens of the Halseyist Faction. May the New World Order reach your homes.
Member of GIDA - Major
Idaho Conservatives wrote: He walked out of the room, smashing his boot in the face of a headless zombie.
Reblle wrote:I have seen people get blown in half on Call of Duty Worls at War also. I am not to young. I am 14 years of age and have seen enough violence to be considered a veteran of WW2.

United Marktoria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marktoria » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:54 pm

The Valencian Blade wrote:Alright, so its an age-old question. Let me propose this hypothetical situation.

I will try to save both. Because if I do kill Bob, people will say the ends will justify the means. Which they rarely do.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
Conserative Morality wrote:He stares into your soul and says 'If you oppose Freedom, I will rip out your heart and fertilize my fields with your blood, afterwords, I will construct architectural marvels with your bones and write entire books on your cured skin.'
You can tell a lot about a man's intentions from his stare.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Tungookska wrote:you mean like the 12 guys and the prostitute that he hung out with?

That's not a commune. That's a rugby team. ;)

Ifreann wrote:I'm an atheist because God spoke to me through a burning pile of evidence bush and said unto me "Go forth, and piss my people off!".

Lord-General Drache
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord-General Drache » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:57 pm

Sure. I'll toss in the rest of his family, too, if it'll get me some sort of bonus.
Life is mine to give and take; death is my bailiwick. I freely go where angels dare not tread, and have danced blades with the demons that lurk in your darkest nightmares.
RIP Colodia: 4/13/2011.

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:57 pm

Of course not..
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

Fnordgasm 5
Senator

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fnordgasm 5 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:59 pm

I've always hated Bob...
Fnordgasm 5 is a twat.

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:59 pm

I'd ask Bob for his thoughts on the matter. If he doesn't mind dying for the sake of all, I'll do it and make sure he goes down in history as the real hero. If he's a bit non-plussed, I'll do what I can to do the job without killing him, and probably fail and get killed myself, but heck, maybe that'll show Bob that it's sometimes worth putting your life on the line, and he'll inspire someone else to try again in the future.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:00 pm

Could one of the people the dictator killed in the future be me, or my family? If so, I'd off Bob for sure. But if it's just like, a dictator in Africa or something, I see no reason why Bob and I should get involved. So I wouldn't do it in that case.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:00 pm

United Marktoria wrote:

I will try to save both. Because if I do kill Bob, people will say the ends will justify the means. Which they rarely do.

Its not batman
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

The Araucania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Araucania » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:00 pm

depend on the case.
FOR A CELTIC UNITY
CHRISTIAN AND PROUD
LUTHERAN
NatSit 1| NatSit 2|NatSit 3|NatSIt 4|NatSit 5|NatSit 6|NatSit 7|
DEPENDENCES
New Cork and Helsinsk, Araucanian Antartica

ARGENTINA

Goldsaver
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goldsaver » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Yes. Sacrifice One Innocent to save millions? Hell yeah.
The Free Federation of the Golden Lands
Free Federation Q&A
Liberal Democracy; Militaristic; Federation; Feminist
"None Shall be Held in Chains"
"All May Find Shelter Behind Our Walls"
"No Evil Shall Survive Our Wrath"

Khithali
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khithali » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Well I'd know I should do it. Being a utilitarian means that I think that killing one person to save a thousand is by far the better thing to do. Whether I could bring myself to kill someone else, though, I don't know, and I'm not exactly eager to put that to the test.

LOL ANARCHY NUBZ
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby LOL ANARCHY NUBZ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Duh. Fuck Bob. It's all relative anyway.

Kirrix
Attaché

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrix » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Bob gets it. I'll try to make it as quick and painless as possible, but asshats need stopping.

Groko
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Groko » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah, I'd prefer that I died instead, though. (No kids)

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:05 pm

i'd make it quick.

the kind of 3 month planning, get him in a coffee shop, killed without trace of the murderer job, no fingerprints, no suspicion, LOTS of connections to perform recon.

unless i was ALOWED TO KILL HIM.
THEN i'd get him in a dark alley, explain WHY i was killing him, then a 50. cal to the brain.
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

Republica Espanola
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Espanola » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Fnordgasm 5 wrote:I've always hated Bob...

And now they'll probably offer me Bob's old job.
President Tania Mendes
La Confederación Republicana de la República Española
Embassies in República Española
I suck at political debate.
Jefferson Davis wrote:Never be haughty to the humble, or humble to the haughty.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General