NATION

PASSWORD

Favorite Military in History.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Byzantine Remnants
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Favorite Military in History.

Postby Byzantine Remnants » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Hello all, just wantin' to ask what Military in the world do you think was/is the best. 'Ere's mine
Byzantine Army: They had a very balanced army in my opinion, combine that with the fact they used some of the best tactics in history and you've got a dang good army.

P.S: I'm sorry if there's a thread already like this.
"To surrender the city to you is beyond my authority or anyone else's who lives in it, for all of us, after taking the mutual decision, shall die out of free will without sparing our lives."
"I would not go if there was any benefit to leave the city, but I can not go away. I will not leave you ever. I have decided to die with you!"-Emperor Constantine XI, last ruler of the Byzantines, and one of the greatest men ever to lead a nation.
Proud member of the Eternal Knights, Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on us.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Byzantine Remnants wrote:Hello all, just wantin' to ask what Military in the world do you think was/is the best. 'Ere's mine
Byzantine Army: They had a very balanced army in my opinion, combine that with the fact they used some of the best tactics in history and you've got a dang good army.

A thread like this? One? :lol:

Mine's the army of lovely, lost Lagash.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Probably the Romans under Julius Caesar and Augustus, and then the Napoleonic Grande Armee at its height in 1810.
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Orthodox Brotherhood
Envoy

Founded: Oct 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orthodox Brotherhood » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Probably the Napoleonic Prussian army, though their uniforms are just as sexy in any period.

Orgasmland
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orgasmland » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Either the Soviet Red Army at the time of WW2 or the Mongols

Blue Cross Island
Envoy

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blue Cross Island » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:49 pm

I would have to say the New Model Army during the English Civil War. Unlike most of the armies of the period, it was well paid, well equipped and had a strong sense of morale and discipline.

Nanovia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nanovia » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Byzantine Remnants wrote:Hello all, just wantin' to ask what Military in the world do you think was/is the best. 'Ere's mine

A thread like this? One? :lol:

The what?

I must say, I admire the Muslim armies of Saladin. His tactics were different compared to most of the European armies. They were also highly mobile.

Orthodox Brotherhood
Envoy

Founded: Oct 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orthodox Brotherhood » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 pm

Nanovia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:A thread like this? One? :lol:

The what?

I must say, I admire the Muslim armies of Saladin. His tactics were different compared to most of the European armies. They were also highly mobile.

Ooh yeah, Saladin was a boss, at Jacob's Ford he had his guys dig under the enemy castle and just collapse the mine, then the wall fell down and his men charged in, killing or capturing everyone inside the Castle, and making King Baldwin turn around and skedaddle back to Jerusalem.

Blue Cross Island
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Blue Cross Island » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I think Saladin's army was very ingenious in the tactics that it used

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Mongols. You can't beat them horses.
Myers Briggs: ENTP-A
8values: N/A

Blue Cross Island
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Blue Cross Island » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:54 pm

The seljuk armies riding on horseback with bows and arrows was pretty cool

Lykens
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:54 pm

The Prussian army, its discipline and skill was practically unmatched by the mid 1800s.
Looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus.

Good people, Active RPs, Great Maps.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Early/mid-1600's Polish Army.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm

The Roman legions under Hadrian, for control over the vast majority of the Mediterranean and its surrounding areas. After that, the Mongol Hordes, then the Spartans.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm

The Prussian and British armies in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Prussians and British armies had unmatched firepower, skill, and discipline.
Last edited by Erich von Manstein on June 9, 1973, edited 24 times in total

MGSV: The Phantom Pain hype! Game of the decade!

Bolguria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolguria » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:58 pm

First Bulgarian Empire's Armies, because we defended Europe from the Arabs in Constantinople in 717. :blush:
Народна Pеcпублика Болгурия
People's Republic Of Bolguria

----Cлава|Glory----
-------За|For-------
България|Bulgaria
Come To Slavia!
For - Pan-Slavism, Moderate Nationalism, Ataka (Party), Scandinavian Capitalism, Liberalism, Snowden, LGBT Rights, Abortion, Assad, Putin, Russia, Bulgaria, Serbia.
Neutral - Israel, Religion, America, China, India, Obama, Communism, Fascism, Monarchy, Social Security, Iran, Merkel, E.U, Conservativism, USSR.
Anti - Turkey, Erdogan, Islam, Euro, France, Nazism, Eco-Mentalists, Kebab, Roma, Bush, Terrorism.
I'm a mix of Russian and Bulgarian, and I'm proud of both my bloodlines. I live in London, and attend high school. Follower of Levskism and Pan-Slavism, and a patriot of the Bulgarian Republic.

Neu Preussische Republik
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Preussische Republik » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:58 pm

The German Imperial army under Von Moltke and Bismarck's military reforms.
I am a registered Independent, an enthusiast of Political and Economic history and an American Citizen.
[5]
Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.46
Map | Current flag

Aperonia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aperonia » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:59 pm

The US army during the civil war.
15, Aperonia, agnostic theist, and fan of alternative rock and heavy metal.
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

Sirsparksalot
Civilian

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sirsparksalot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Germany's military pre World War 2 was excellent. They were quick to adopt technology.

Blue Cross Island
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Blue Cross Island » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Compared with the Russian military during world war 1, Germany's military was very good.

Crystallum Agrum Opulentum
Civilian

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Crystallum Agrum Opulentum » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 pm

The WWII German war machine due to their training, tactics and technological advancement at the time of the war.

Blue Cross Island
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Blue Cross Island » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:07 pm

They also had a very good rail network

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:08 pm

The American, the British and the Brazilian Army.
Last edited by Estado Paulista on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:10 pm

I'll make a list of my faves. As always, best for last.

Romans: I'm not gonna say that it was the first well-organized and professional army, but they were one of the first. They had better tactics, better equipment, and better soldiers than anyone else at the time. Combine that with an impeccably run(for its time) administration and you have a damn good army. No wonder they took over all of thew Mediterranean.

Bulgars: The Bulgars were awesome for the opposite reason why Rome was awesome. They were mostly just badass people, fueled by the cruelty of the Byzantines to make a semi-organized military force. I respect nationalism like that. I'm not afraid to admit, however, that the main reason I love the Bulgars is because of Krum Khan. That guy was just about as badass as it gets.

Wait for it...
Mongols: Mix the badassery of the Bulgars and the organization of the Romans. What do you get? the Mongols. Excellent strategy, awesome soldiers, and--why am I telling you all this? You know why the Mongols are awesome, unless you were born in a cave in Antarctica and have lived there since.
Last edited by Shnercropolis on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Montseveroux
Secretary

Founded: Dec 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Montseveroux » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Without a doubt, for me, it's the Wehrmacht of Nazi Germany. Not only were their uniforms incredible and rather umf, their technology and tactics were just as impressive.

All Nazism aside, a truly incredible fighting force.
Monarch: King Hamelin Bellarose IV
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Jean-Louis Chantale
Capital: L'Valée
Government: Absolute monarchy
Military: 432,071 (252,771 Active; 170,300 Reserve)

Think of us as a nation of angry French. We also have great hair.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General