NATION

PASSWORD

Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme(CPRS) DRAFT UPDATED.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
James Bluntus
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme(CPRS) DRAFT UPDATED.

Postby James Bluntus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:22 pm

CARBON POLLUTION REDUCTION SCHEME

ALARMED that the planets throughout the universe is warming at an increasing rate as a result of greenhouse gases being trapped in the atmosphere.

ALARMED that some nations are not doing anything to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

BELIEVES that legislation must be urgently enacted to bring an end to Climate Change.

Hereby enacts the following,

(1) Mandates the shutdown of polluting energy source stations 15 years after the renewable energy plant of the nation's choice has been operation.
(2) Encourages governments to hand electricity industries to private investors to assist in the change over from polluting energy sources to renewable energy sources.
(3) This resolution does not prohibit public ownership of electricity industries.
(4) Encourages nations to set targets for emission cuts by the time that the polluting energy sources shut down.
(5) Gives the individual nations the right to choose which renewable energy source they would like to adopt.
(6) Encourages the disuse of fossil fuels.
(7) Establishes the World Assembly Renewable Energy Fund to assist nations in implementing renewable energy initiatives

Suggestions?
Last edited by James Bluntus on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:40 am, edited 10 times in total.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:40 pm

I'd like a clarification. You talk about banning coal-fired power stations - do you mean they must be immediately closed (which is what this currently states), or are you banning the construction of new ones?

If the former, then you will likely see a LOT of nations suddenly go into blackouts.

Also:
Any Carbon or Greenhouse gas that is produced will be taxed at a rate defined by the individual nation.

You've left a MASSIVE loophole there. Nations could quite easily set the tax level at 0%, which renders the entire line pointless.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Enn wrote:I'd like a clarification. You talk about banning coal-fired power stations - do you mean they must be immediately closed (which is what this currently states), or are you banning the construction of new ones?

If the former, then you will likely see a LOT of nations suddenly go into blackouts.

Also:
Any Carbon or Greenhouse gas that is produced will be taxed at a rate defined by the individual nation.

You've left a MASSIVE loophole there. Nations could quite easily set the tax level at 0%, which renders the entire line pointless.

I thank the honorable ambassador for his/her comments. I will address each comment separately.

1. This is preventing construction of new ones with the closer of the coal fired power stations by the end of 2 years.
2. How do you suggest I word that line?

Renegade Turnist
James Bluntus Ambassador.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Enn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 pm

1. If that's your intention, then I strongly suggest you re-word it to better explain. Exact wording is mch more important in this sort of business than your intention.

2. You're in a bit of a dilemma here. If you set a specific amount, it'll get howled down by the National Sovereigntists (and quite possibly also by Greens, if it's too low). If you leave it to national governments entirely, then it can easily become pointless to even include that sentence.
I'm not going to get into the specifics, but possibly you could set a minimum amount, but urge nations to set higher amounts?
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:13 pm

ALARMED that the earth is warming at an increasing rate as a result of greenhouse gases being trapped in the atmosphere.

ALARMED that some nations are not doing anything to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

BELIEVES that legislation must be urgently enacted to bring an end to Climate Change.

(1) Any Carbon or Greenhouse gas that is produced will be taxed at a rate 10% per CO2 released.
(2) Agriculture is to be taxed at the same rate as corporations and the general community.
(3) Mandates the shutdown of coal fired power stations 2 years after wind/solar plants have been operational.
(4) Encourages governments to hand electricity industries to private investors to assist in the change over from coal to solar/wind.
(5) This resolution does not prohibit public ownership of electricity industries.

Updated.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:16 pm

What about nations in which wind and solar energy production cannot handle their electricity needs?

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Manbearpig is real
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manbearpig is real » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Best

Resolution

Ever!

I'm serial.

Tanara
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanara » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:59 pm

"One of the next to worst resolutions evah, and I'm serial too" The Observer from the P{hoenix Empire mutters in her soft Tanaran accent . "The World Assembly does not have the power to tax, as I understand it, or are you stating that the individual nations themselves must implement this tax? And why must you assume that power generation is completely, or even mostly, in the hands of the government?"

"Also have you given ANY consideration to the fact that this seems to mandate that nations with no power generating technology must now implement technology they may not be capable of handling or understanding so as to be in compliance with your desire for solar or wind technology - and I MUST echo the comments from Lord Tyvok - what about nations that can not produce enough to cover their energy needs via solar or wind? "

"There are many viable non solar, non wind based technologies for power production as well, why does your resolution completely ignore them?"
Last edited by Tanara on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

ALARMED that the earth is warming at an increasing rate as a result of greenhouse gases being trapped in the atmosphere.

(1) Any Carbon or Greenhouse gas that is produced will be taxed at a rate 10% per CO2 released.
(2) Agriculture is to be taxed at the same rate as corporations and the general community.
(3) Mandates the shutdown of coal fired power stations 2 years after wind/solar/nuclear etc. plants have been operational.
(4) Encourages governments to hand electricity industries to private investors to assist in the change over from coal to solar/wind.
(5) This resolution does not prohibit public ownership of electricity industries.

Updated.

Enn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:27 pm

More questions: By 'solar', do you mean photovoltaic or solar-thermal power? What about geothermal, tidal, biomass and other renewable energy sources? Many nations utilise dams for part of their power requirements, will they be affected?

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:03 am

Enn wrote:More questions: By 'solar', do you mean photovoltaic or solar-thermal power? What about geothermal, tidal, biomass and other renewable energy sources? Many nations utilise dams for part of their power requirements, will they be affected?

Dear Ambassador, If you read clause 3 you will find that it reads like this. "(3) Mandates the shutdown of coal fired power stations 2 years after wind/solar/nuclear etc. plants have been operational."

The etc. in the clause allows member nations to choose which renewable energy source they would like to follow.

Actually, when I do a redraft that clause will read like this. (3) Mandates the shutdown of coal fired power stations 2 years after the renewable energy plant of the nation's choice has been operation.

Yours,

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:06 am

(3) Mandates the shutdown of coal fired power stations 2 years after the renewable energy plant of the nation's choice has been operation.
(3a) Ensures that workers in the coal generation industry is transfered over to the renewable energy plant.

Updated.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:12 am

The taxation rate in the draft proposal is still impossibly vague. My best interpretation of the current clause is that you'd have to pay 10% of all emitted carbon dioxide to the national government. I'm really not sure what our central government do with 10% of all of the carbon dioxide released in Goobergunchia. Try to sell it, maybe.

Susan Zafkoro
Legislative Assistant
Goobergunchian UN Embassy
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:52 am

(1) Any Carbon or Greenhouse gas that is produced will be taxed at a rate 20 currency per CO2 released.
(3) Mandates the shutdown of coal fired power stations 2 years after the renewable energy plant of the nation's choice has been operation.
(3a) Ensures that workers in the coal generation industry is transfered over to the renewable energy plant.

Updated again.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:56 am

We do not care for the mandatory tax rates in this, believeing them to be far too arbitrary. As long as mandatory taxes are a part, we could not support this measure.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:07 am

Grays Harbor wrote:We do not care for the mandatory tax rates in this, believeing them to be far too arbitrary. As long as mandatory taxes are a part, we could not support this measure.

So you don't want a taxed involved in this?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:43 am

No, Sir, We do not. The WA should concern itself with international matters alone, not domestic issues. Attempting to reduce carbon emmissions is international in scope, as it does effect everyone. Mandating specific tax rates, or even mandating any tax, for the independent states is little better than micromanagement of domestic affairs by the WA.

Instead of tying up discussion over a tax which should not be imposed in the first place, we should instead concentrate on how best to reduce emmissions. We should not just concentrate on just one or two means of this either, such as the wind or solar only options. There are far more methods available, such as geothermal, hydroelectric, and nuclear just to name a few. There are also new "clean burning" methods for coal fired plants which could be incorporated as well to replace older, less efficient plants.

We should try for more diversity in means, as not every nation is identical, and what works for one may well not work for another. To try and insist otherwise is to try and push yet another doomed from the start one-size-fits-all proposal.

Mandating taxes will not lower carbon emmissions, finding cleaner means to generate electricity will.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:57 am

How is it proposed that workers from coal-fired plants be transfered to other plants, which have a different technology and requires different training? Are there going to be government retraining programs mandated, not that I am suggesting any such thing, or will it be left to the hiring company? Also, should a hydroelectric plant, for example, be required to hire employees from coal plants, giving them preference over people trained in the operation of hydroelectric plants?

I fear this is much more complicated than was originially envisioned as this proposal is far too vague to be submitted as is.

While we do not have any suggestions at the moment, off the top of our head, we will have members of our staff look into this and formulate some ideas.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 am

Unfortunately, I can only identify this issue as being domestic. it is with regret that I cannot support this proposal because various member states have myriad ideas, some of them equally world class and we don't want to force all member states into following the same idea. Sometimes, taxation is not a good idea.

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 am

"Scheme" sounds about right to me.

Doctor Denis Leary
WA Ambassador
The Federated Technocratic Oligarchy of the Most Glorious Hack

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:25 am

Get rid of clause 1. 20 currency in a nation with a terrible economy is worth nothing. In one with an economy like ours, 20 Marks is worth a LOT.

In other words, it affects different member states differently. Bad.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:19 am

"And not only that but it still hasn't advised us as to 20 currency per what - a pound, a quart, a ton?" The UnDelegate grumbles. "And is this a national tax or a WA tax? And he still hasn't acknowledged the fact that not all nations have the technology to create even coal burning electrical generating plants, and now it is mandated that they go to an even higher technology?"

To require that coal burning plants be required to shut down two years after the other plants come on line? That’s going to be a long time buddy, as it generally takes fifteen years to bring a new energy production facility fully on line, especially in places where NIMBY and other local interests come into play.

“And while parts of a coal consuming generation are roughly identical to parts of a non coal consuming, simply saying to transfer the workers over is slipshod. Extensive retraining would be needed and to mandate that they some how have preferential treatment is well beyond the scope of the WA purview as I see it.”

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:21 am

The Most Glorious Hack wrote:"Scheme" sounds about right to me.

"Plot", "boondoggle" and "swindle" would also work.
OOC puppet of Yelda

EVIL BEYOND COMPARE
Envoy

Founded: Aug 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EVIL BEYOND COMPARE » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:49 am

The earth warms and cools at it's own pace humans have nothing to do with it. I think it is a terrible WA resolution.

Manbearpig is real
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manbearpig is real » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:58 am

EVIL BEYOND COMPARE wrote:The earth warms and cools at it's own pace humans have nothing to do with it. I think it is a terrible WA resolution.

The earlier warming periods were caused by our primitive ancestors burning massive amounts of wood.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly