NATION

PASSWORD

Okay, so we can definitely print money faster now.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What does a 1% inflation rate mean to you?

Too high
15%
Too low
29%
Just right
13%
Inflation is never good
32%
What's inflation?
4%
I'm "Yellen" about it
3%
I don't care
4%

Total votes : 75

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Okay, so we can definitely print money faster now.

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:41 am

The Fed has not yet tapered its current policies, so logically we should be looking to see some massive inflation soon.

Except not so much. Inflation is actually down as of this last report that came out a few hours ago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-consumer-inflation-20131120,0,389896.story

U.S. consumer prices unexpectedly fell in October and the annual inflation rate was the lowest in four years, which should give the Federal Reserve room to maintain bond purchases for a while.

The Labor Department said on Wednesday its Consumer Price Index slipped 0.1 percent last month as gasoline prices fell sharply, after rising 0.2 percent in September.

In the 12 months through October, the CPI increased 1.0 percent, the smallest gain since October 2009. It had advanced 1.2 percent in September.

Economists polled by Reuters had forecast consumer prices unchanged last month and increasing 1.0 percent from a year ago.

So, 1% inflation flat. Noticeably lower than a healthy target. This is actually pretty logical because it means that these dollars are in places where they won't drive up prices, something that happens pretty easily when unemployment is still so high and the Fed doesn't give out automatically anyway.

This only supports what I've been saying, which is that the money supply in the United States is actually lower than it should be right now logistically.

So, fiscal hawks, can we please go ahead and accelerate printing now?
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:44 am

1% is abysmally low. We're in danger of deflation if this carries on dropping, and that'd be a complete death sentence on the economic recovery.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:45 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:1% is abysmally low. We're in danger of deflation if this carries on dropping, and that'd be a complete death sentence on the economic recovery.

Completely agree.
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 am

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:1% is abysmally low. We're in danger of deflation if this carries on dropping, and that'd be a complete death sentence on the economic recovery.

Completely agree.

What do you think would be a good rate?
I've heard 2.8 thrown around as healthy.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

New Laikland
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 am

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." - Thomas Jefferson
Last edited by New Laikland on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Completely agree.

Okay, so it depends on what we're looking for. If we want to match the weighted average inflation rate of our trading partners for an effective international "zero" then we're looking at 2.26% (that's my own math, and I can "show my work" if necessary). The empirical rule for inflation is that 2.0% flat is healthy. Personally, I would like to see us go a bit faster than our trading partners so that the debts of our private citizens are paid off faster than the private citizens of other countries. Going with that logic, 2.8% would sound pretty nice.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 am

New Laikland wrote:"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." - Thomas Jefferson

I am well aware of Thomas Jefferson's opinion on the issue. But seeing as in this quote he doesn't warrant his argument, it doesn't really add to the discussion.

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 am

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:I am well aware of Thomas Jefferson's opinion on the issue. But seeing as in this quote he doesn't warrant his argument, it doesn't really add to the discussion.

It does add to the discussion, because the US currency has been inflating and now deflating, meaning some bad shit is probably about to happen.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Okay, so it depends on what we're looking for. If we want to match the weighted average inflation rate of our trading partners for an effective international "zero" then we're looking at 2.26% (that's my own math, and I can "show my work" if necessary). The empirical rule for inflation is that 2.0% flat is healthy. Personally, I would like to see us go a bit faster than our trading partners so that the debts of our private citizens are paid off faster than the private citizens of other countries. Going with that logic, 2.8% would sound pretty nice.

Pretty much right. The main concern I have at the moment though is a deflationary spiral, so i'd be happy with 2.26.
Ostro.MOV

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:56 am

New Laikland wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:I am well aware of Thomas Jefferson's opinion on the issue. But seeing as in this quote he doesn't warrant his argument, it doesn't really add to the discussion.

It does add to the discussion, because the US currency has been inflating and now deflating, meaning some bad shit is probably about to happen.

I understand that. I don't even necessarily disagree. But my question to you would be this: what is the alternative?

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 am

I understand that. I don't even necessarily disagree. But my question to you would be this: what is the alternative?

To create growth and lower unemployment which raises inflation.

Cut taxes, increase subsidies, etc.

Since that's unlikely, we just need to die off and then have a decent president (preferably dictator) save our asses.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:59 am

New Laikland wrote:

To create growth and lower unemployment which raises inflation.

Cut taxes, increase subsidies, etc.

Since that's unlikely, we just need to die off and then have a decent president (preferably dictator) save our asses.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood the argument you were trying to make with the Jefferson quote. I thought you were suggesting that we abolish the Federal Reserve.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 am

Well, we can create growth and cut taxes / create jobs by raising the bottom tier income tax allowance.

If we allow people more money before income tax kicks in it'll help the poor most of all, and the poor usually spend their money unlike the rich. It does also help the middle class slightly, but less so, and the rich EVER so slightly. So it'd all go back into the economy, drive up demand (causes inflation), cause more supply to be needed (increases job numbers), and raises the living standard of the poor, which means the taxes we just cut may well end up as a small saving if we need to spend less on welfare as a result.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:02 am

Ah, okay, I misunderstood the argument you were trying to make with the Jefferson quote. I thought you were suggesting that we abolish the Federal Reserve.

Now that you mention it, yeah.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 am

New Laikland wrote:"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." - Thomas Jefferson

I am well aware of Thomas Jefferson's opinion on the issue. But seeing as in this quote he doesn't warrant his argument, it doesn't really add to the discussion.

Jefferson never said that. It appears to have been made up in a 1937 Congressional report.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:05 am

New Laikland wrote:

Now that you mention it, yeah.

Oh. Why?

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:05 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Jefferson never said that. It appears to have been made up in a 1937 Congressional report.

Good find!

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:06 am

Farnhamia wrote:Jefferson never said that. It appears to have been made up in a 1937 Congressional report.

my life is a lie

Nonetheless, it's still a valid, true quote.

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:07 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Its almost scary how fast you found that.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 am

New Laikland wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Jefferson never said that. It appears to have been made up in a 1937 Congressional report.

my life is a lie

Nonetheless, it's still a valid, true quote.

Lets see here.

Do I still own property?
Do corporations rule over all of us?

No?

Case closed.
Just because somebody somewhere said something, even if said somebody was important, does not make it true.
Forever a Communist

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Completely agree.

Depends on the growth of the economy.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 am

Blasveck wrote:
Lets see here.

Do I still own property?
Do corporations rule over all of us?

No?

Case closed.
Just because somebody somewhere said something, even if said somebody was important, does not make it true.

Because a gradual, slow process that takes place over years and years happens because of a .1% drop in inflation...

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 am

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Oh. Why?

It's a private bank that has total control over printing our currency; it's just a horrible idea.

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 am

Wait, the dollar being worth more is bad?
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:12 am

New Laikland wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Oh. Why?

It's a private bank that has total control over printing our currency; it's just a horrible idea.

It actually isn't a private bank.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/about_14986.htm
Forever a Communist

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General