NATION

PASSWORD

I Want To Buy A Gun

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

I Want To Buy A Gun

Postby Secruss » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm 18 and have yet to buy my first gun.

Which one should I get?

A glock? A .22? Some hunting rifle so I can go hunting once and not actually get anything?

Serious suggestions please.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

The South Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I Want To Buy A Gun

Postby The South Islands » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Moist Nugget.
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Sarkhaan: You. Put your pants back on.

Secruss
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Reasonable suggestions.

EDIT:

Alright, maybe.

"The Mosin-Nagant (Russian: Винтовка Мосина, ISO 9: Vintovka Mosina) is a bolt-action, internal magazine fed, military rifle that was used by the armed forces of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and various Eastern bloc nations. Also known as the Three-Line Rifle (Трёхлинейная винтовка, ISO 9: Trëhlinejnaâ vintovka), it was the first to use the 7.62x54mmR cartridge. As a front-line rifle, the Mosin-Nagant served in various forms from 1891 until the 1960s in many Eastern European nations, when the sniper rifle variant was replaced by the SVD (Снайперская винтовка Драгунова, ISO 9: Snajperskaâ vintovka Dragunova). The Mosin-Nagant is still used in many conflicts due to its ruggedness and the vast number produced during World War II. "

But I'm thinking something that isn't used.
Last edited by Secruss on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Thats an absurdly reasonable suggestion. Cheap as hell, ammo more plentiful then virgins in Iran, and it has a bayonet long enough to poke someone three counties over!

A perfect starter gun, if you don't want to go the .22 route.

EDIT: what kind of budget are we looking at?
Last edited by The South Islands on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Secruss
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Under $300.

Can be used, but preferably not.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Secruss wrote:I'm 18 and have yet to buy my first gun.

Which one should I get?

A glock? A .22? Some hunting rifle so I can go hunting once and not actually get anything?

Serious suggestions please.

Are you looking for a pistol, rifle, or shotgun?

The first firearm I ever shot was a .22 revolver, and I've also fired .38, 9mm, and .40 cal pistols. With rifles, I've fired .223/5.56mm from my AR15.

Have you considered the Ruger 10/22? It's easily the most customizable .22 rifle out there.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Zutroy
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Zutroy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 pm

16 guage or 20 guage is nice for birds or shooting clays. thats me personally most people like a larger guage
"The war of the poor against the rich will be the bloodiest ever waged."
- F. Engels, 1845

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:16 pm

If I were to give you a suggestion, go with a decent Moist Nugget, save two hundred bucks, and buy some ammo. Its a good beginners rifle, and a collectible as well. You'll have plenty of time for spending mad change on guns when you get a full time job.

But a .22 is also a good starting caliber, and available in various price ranges. Ammo be cheap too.

Secruss
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Something light that can be used for self-defense, target shooting, whatever-the-other-option-is-that-isn't-homicide.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:20 pm

what do you want to use it for.
home defense. A handgun will do nicely.
hunting. what are you hunting could very between a rifle and a shot gun.
hanging with the militia nuts then an AR-15 is the way to go.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Secruss
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Or I could go for gold and go to gun shows and get the parts for an AK-47 and assemble it.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Secruss wrote:Something light that can be used for self-defense, target shooting, whatever-the-other-option-is-that-isn't-homicide.

Home defense is homicide.
It is just justifiable homicide.

Do not buy a weapon for home defense unless your willing to kill someone.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Secruss
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:23 pm

It would be multi-purpose.

King Arthur the Great
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby King Arthur the Great » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:24 pm

If you live in the U.S., and you're 18, you will have a tough time buying and keeping a handgun. They generally only sell those to people over 21.

A .22 Rifle, or a shotgun, on the other hand, is entirely different. Mostly because you can't conceal them, 18 year-olds are allowed to buy them, as well as the ammo.

From a shooting perspective, I would tell you to start on the shotguns with either a good pump-action, for which the Remington 870 is the standard of introductory shotguns, or possibly a double barrel, if you plan on doing skeet shooting and/or a lot of sporting clay shooting. I normally shoot variable trap and sporting clays, and borrow my grandpa's double barrel when going skeet shooting.

If you want a rifle, I would suggest the Ruger 10/22 for any first time rifle-buyer. After-market accessories for this gun outnumber all other readily available accessories for other rifles in the U.S. It is used as a teaching rifle, relatively inexpensive, and can be found on any rifle-teaching range worth its salt. If you have more experience, and want something particular, you can look into it, but for a general rifle, the 10/22 is probably the overwhelming choice for a first-owned rifle.

Of course, my recommendation is for you to find a local shooting range that allows you to rent and shoot guns. Indoor ranges generally only let you shoot pistols, or occasionally a .22 rifle, so anything else will require that you seek out the outdoor range nearest to you. Try it all, see what you like.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
Last edited by King Arthur the Great on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity - but keep an eye out for malice." -Hanlon's Razor.

"Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that actually do."

Benjamin Franklin's explanation of Liberty vs. Democracy:
Democracy: Two Wolves and a Sheep voting on 'What to Have for Dinner'. Liberty: a Well-Armed Sheep.

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Last edited by Techno-Soviet on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Secruss wrote:It would be multi-purpose.

then Handgun either a 9mm or a .22 cal.

The .22 cal is cheaper, but a 9mm will have a better resale value.
Barack Obama

Chernobyl-Pripyat
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernobyl-Pripyat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:27 pm

The South Islands wrote:Moist Nugget.

this. they run about 70 American Dollars, and ammo is pretty cheap too

Secruss
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Chernobyl-Pripyat wrote:
The South Islands wrote:Moist Nugget.

this. they run about 70 American Dollars, and ammo is pretty cheap too

:o

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Have you considered an SKS? They can go as low as $200.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Kraveska
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraveska » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:31 pm

I would suggest a sawed-off aircraft carrier.

But seriously, I know about some guns, but not a whole bunch. But I had fun shooting the .45 Colt, I think it was. That one they used in WWII. Also, the thirty-something carbine, that rifle that was also used in WWII.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Secruss wrote:Or I could go for gold and go to gun shows and get the parts for an AK-47 and assemble it.

What state are you in? I only ask because some states have their own state "Assault Weapons" ban, modeled after the old federal ban.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Allanea wrote:Have you considered an SKS? They can go as low as $200.

These days? With the Obamasurge going? I think he'd be pretty hard pressed to buy an SKS for that at present.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Don't forget this page: http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/11022prod.html Very expensive, but interesting upgrades for the 10/22.

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Don't forget this page: http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/11022prod.html Very expensive, but interesting upgrades for the 10/22.

:palm:

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Those are some awesome con. kits
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General