NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity and Homosexuality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Christianity and Homosexuality

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

User avatar
Station 12
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1606
Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Depending on the type of Christianity, divorce isn't necessarily a sin.

And depending on the Christian, neither is homosexuality.

And since when did they leave adulterers alone?

That said, I get your point. It does feel like some Christians use god to justify their own homophobia.
Last edited by Station 12 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

User avatar
JuNii
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13517
Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.

???

how do you know they do leave those people alone?
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

User avatar
Diseased Imaginings
Diplomat
 
Posts: 849
Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diseased Imaginings » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

christians don't base their ideologies on reason, they base it on tradition. Most christians have it hammered into their heads from age 1 that gays are evil and that christians must oppose them with every ounce of resolve they possess, or something irrefutably horrible will happen.

In short, they just do as they're told.
Last edited by Diseased Imaginings on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor... This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!" -Albert Einstein

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 109177
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.

Oh, we can get forgiveness, we just have to quit being queers or lesbos and turn celibate. And if we fall off that joyful wagon, why, we could climb back on and be forgiven again. And again. And again. It's just that some homosexuals think they should have, you know, rights like other Christians - I mean, citizens.
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Station 12
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1606
Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:06 pm

Diseased Imaginings wrote:christians don't base their ideologies on reason, they base it on tradition. Most christians have it hammered into their heads from age 1 that gays are evil and that christians must oppose them with every ounce of resolve they possess, or something irrefutably horrible will happen.

In short, they just do as they're told.


This. This is what I hate. People who think that Christians are idiots.

You know, some people choose to become Christians. Meaning that they take a good long look at their life, at the bible, at god and all of that stuff and choose for themselves. It's not like waking up one day and going "I'm going to worship Jesus today!"

And one of the biggest parts of Christianity is finding your own meaning in the bible. Not just taking what other people think and accepting it as fact. It's all about interpretation, that's why there are so many different types of Christianity!
Last edited by Station 12 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

User avatar
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32382
Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:07 pm

JuNii wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.

???

how do you know they do leave those people alone?

My thoughts too.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Notice how I said the type of Christians. Why is it that whenever anyone brings up a religion, people automatically assume, without even reading your wording, that you're talking about everyone in that religion?
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

User avatar
Zeppy
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10112
Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
JuNii wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.

???

how do you know they do leave those people alone?

My thoughts too.

They really don't. People just assume that is there only objective.

User avatar
Zeppy
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10112
Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:09 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Notice how I said the type of Christians. Why is it that whenever anyone brings up a religion, people automatically assume, without even reading your wording, that you're talking about everyone in that religion?

Christian/Christianity is a broad term.

User avatar
Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1748
Founded: Jan 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:09 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.


Now that you mentioned it, some people seem to think that just because Xtianity sees lying, divorce, etc as a sin means that perception of homosexuality and/or "homosexual behaviour" (!) as a sin is ok.

I think thats really weird.

User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:09 pm

JuNii wrote:???

how do you know they do leave those people alone?


How many of them are trying to ban divorce? How many of them are trying to make it illegal to have an affair? etc.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

User avatar
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32382
Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Notice how I said the type of Christians. Why is it that whenever anyone brings up a religion, people automatically assume, without even reading your wording, that you're talking about everyone in that religion?

But you operating under the premise that Christians who decry homosexuality as immoral leave "divorced people, adulterers, liars and people who work on the Sabbath" alone.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Zeppy wrote:Christian/Christianity is a broad term.


TYPE OF CHRISTIANS, it's right in my post. Seriously, can anybody on this forum fucking read?
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

User avatar
South Lorenya
Senator
 
Posts: 3925
Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Most christians are sensible people, but who stands out in the news -- the quiet guy who attends church with george tiller despite differences or the psycho who fires bullets at him?
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

User avatar
Station 12
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1606
Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm

"Christians who hate on homosexuals" doesn't help me much. Protestantism? Catholicism? Those would help me a lot more.

Christians hating homosexuals are much more controversial than Christians hating a rapist. Hating a rapist is kind of normal. But if they're gay, people get angry about it and spread the news.

In other words- The only reason you think that is because hating adultery and stuff is normal. You don't hear about Christians hating adultery because it would be like saying that Christians live in a modern society. Whereas hating homosexuality for no reason is not considered normal. You see my point?

EDIT: South Lorenya ninja'd me with my exact point.
Last edited by Station 12 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 109177
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Station 12 wrote:
Diseased Imaginings wrote:christians don't base their ideologies on reason, they base it on tradition. Most christians have it hammered into their heads from age 1 that gays are evil and that christians must oppose them with every ounce of resolve they possess, or something irrefutably horrible will happen.

In short, they just do as they're told.


This. This is what I hate. People who think that Christians are idiots.

You know, some people choose to become Christians. Meaning that they take a good long look at their life, at the bible, at god and all of that stuff and choose for themselves. It's not like waking up one day and going "I'm going to worship Jesus today!"

And one of the biggest parts of Christianity is finding your own meaning in the bible. Not just taking what other people think and accepting it as fact. It's all about interpretation, that's why there are so many different types of Christianity!

Yes, but the way some Christians tell it, they do wake up one day and go, "I'm going to worship Jesus today!"

And no, I don't think that finding your own meaning in the Bible is a big part of Christianity. All those different kinds of Christianity were called all kinds of names when they started and there ones that didn't manage to gather enough followers or important enough followers, and so just went on the list of heresies. Christianity is all about toeing the line.
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
JuNii
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13517
Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
JuNii wrote:???

how do you know they do leave those people alone?


How many of them are trying to ban divorce? How many of them are trying to make it illegal to have an affair? etc.


to your first part, Divorce is already stipulated in the law books. but how do you know there wasn't a fight when it wasn't?

as for affairs?

look how vilified politicians and others are when they cheat.
Prostitution is illegal in most states and people are fighting to keep it that way. and you know affairs = prostitution in most people's minds...
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Station 12 wrote:"Christians who hate on homosexuals" doesn't help me much. Protestantism? Catholicism? Those would help me a lot more.

Christians hating homosexuals are much more controversial than Christians hating a rapist. Hating a rapist is kind of normal. But if they're gay, people get angry about it and spread the news.

In other words- The only reason you think that is because hating adultery and stuff is normal. You don't hear about Christians hating adultery because it would be like saying that Christians live in a modern society. Whereas hating homosexuality for no reason is not considered normal. You see my point?

EDIT: South Lorenya ninja'd me with my exact point.


There's almost nobody out there that wants to ban divorce. There are a very large number of people that want to ban same sex marriage/civil unions.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

User avatar
Robonic
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 109
Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Robonic » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.


Because they're (these "types" of Christians as you call them) human. And no matter what the bible says, we, as humans, still have a tendency to form a subconscious hierarchy of sins. All the Bible says is that before GOD all sins are equal; not before man. All men will consider lying "less sinful" than adultery; to ask them to do any less is to deny their humanity. Yes, it's wrong, but it is unavoidable. When one sets their mind upon judgement, it will always compartmentalize and order them from "least to greatest". That's why we're called not to judge, because GOD understood that no man can judge impartially. Personally, as a Christian, I believe that all of the aforementioned things are a "sin" but I do not judge these people for what they do; they are just as human as I am, and I am just as sinful as they are. I am not called to judge, only to love.

EDIT: working on the sabbath is only a sin under the old levitical law. In the Christian sense, it is no longer a sin. Jesus came "not to abolish the law, but to fulfill it" (paraphrase). As a fulfilled law it no longer has any weight as law. We derive our moral law from the New Testament, and while the Old Testament is a place to find great wisdom, none of the laws found in the Torah are applicable to a Christian under the "new covenant"
Last edited by Robonic on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova Magna Germania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1748
Founded: Jan 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Magna Germania » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Station 12 wrote:"Christians who hate on homosexuals" doesn't help me much. Protestantism? Catholicism? Those would help me a lot more.

Christians hating homosexuals are much more controversial than Christians hating a rapist. Hating a rapist is kind of normal. But if they're gay, people get angry about it and spread the news.

In other words- The only reason you think that is because hating adultery and stuff is normal. You don't hear about Christians hating adultery because it would be like saying that Christians live in a modern society. Whereas hating homosexuality for no reason is not considered normal. You see my point?

EDIT: South Lorenya ninja'd me with my exact point.


Partly because it is wrong to hurt someone who loves you and whom you have committed to ("adultry/cheating"). On the other hand, I cant think of any reason why two people of the same sex loving each other can be wrong.

User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Robonic wrote:Because they're (these "types" of Christians as you call them) human. And no matter what the bible says, we, as humans, still have a tendency to form a subconscious hierarchy of sins. All the Bible says is that before GOD all sins are equal; not before man. All men will consider lying "less sinful" than adultery; to ask them to do any less is to deny their humanity. Yes, it's wrong, but it is unavoidable. When one sets their mind upon judgement, it will always compartmentalize and order them from "least to greatest". That's why we're called not to judge, because GOD understood that no man can judge impartially. Personally, as a Christian, I believe that all of the aforementioned things are a "sin" but I do not judge these people for what they do; they are just as human as I am, and I am just as sinful as they are. I am not called to judge, only to love.


I think a truly logical and impartial judge would come to the conclusion that some sins are worse than others.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

User avatar
Station 12
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1606
Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:17 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Station 12 wrote:"Christians who hate on homosexuals" doesn't help me much. Protestantism? Catholicism? Those would help me a lot more.

Christians hating homosexuals are much more controversial than Christians hating a rapist. Hating a rapist is kind of normal. But if they're gay, people get angry about it and spread the news.

In other words- The only reason you think that is because hating adultery and stuff is normal. You don't hear about Christians hating adultery because it would be like saying that Christians live in a modern society. Whereas hating homosexuality for no reason is not considered normal. You see my point?

EDIT: South Lorenya ninja'd me with my exact point.


There's almost nobody out there that wants to ban divorce. There are a very large number of people that want to ban same sex marriage/civil unions.

Well first of all, how do you know nobody wants to ban divorce? And secondly, less traditional Christian churches don't want to ban divorce. You can get divorced by an actual priest nowadays because even religion can change over time, and the less traditional and more rational churches no longer consider it a sin.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

User avatar
Wustershershershaush
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 351
Founded: Apr 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wustershershershaush » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:17 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Okay, there's something I don't get. According to Christian philosophy, all sins are equal and everyone's a sinner, right? So why do the kind of Christians that hate on homosexuals leave divorced people, adulterers, liars, and people that work on the sabbath alone? It's inconsistent and hypocritical.

No, all sins are not equal. There are venial sins and mortal sins.

That said, lots of bigots want to justify their hatred will use whatever they can. "Christians" who hate on homosexuals are very very selective in which passages they choose to follow.

User avatar
UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11988
Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Station 12 wrote:Well first of all, how do you know nobody wants to ban divorce?


Notice how I said almost nobody.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bienenhalde, Borderlands of Rojava, Coronational Chechyans and affiliates, Heloin, New Raffica, Pridelantic people, Uiiop, Yasuragi

Advertisement

Remove ads